Wimbledon 2010: The trophy returns to where it belongs. Congrats Rafa! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon 2010: The trophy returns to where it belongs. Congrats Rafa!

adee-gee
06-18-2010, 05:29 PM
:rocker2:

Joke of a draw. But nothing will stop us :sport:

Federer - Falla
Bozoljac - Massu
Tipsarevic - Clement
Luczak - Robredo

Lopez - Levine
Berankis - Ball
Kunitsyn - Troicki
Brown - Melzer

Berdych - Golubev
Sweeting - Becker
Tursunov - Schuettler
Istomin - Wawrinka

Hanescu - Kusnetsov
Ilhan - Daniel
Andreev - Brands
Anderson - Davydenko

Djokovic - Rochus
Chela - Dent
Evans - Huta Galong
Lorenzi - Montanes

Monfils - Mayer
Beck - Petzschner
Schwank - Korolev
Gonzalez - Hewitt

Cilic - Mayer
Fish - Tomic
Zeballos - Lu
Pryziezny - Ljubicic

Kohlschreiber - Starace
Delgado - Gabashvili
Llodra - Witten
Ram - Roddick

Verdasco - Fognini
Russell - Riba
A Beck - Baker
Vliegen - Benneteau

Almagro - Seppi
Kamke - Garcia-Lopez
Chuidinelli - Dolgopolov
Kendrick - Tsonga

Ferrero - Malisse
Reister - De Voest
Hernandez - Dodig
Stakhovsky - Querrey

Simon - Alcaide
Marchenko - Berrer
Nieminen - Koubek
Hajek - Murray

Soderling - Ginepri
Gil - Granollers
Soeda - Fischer
Mello - Bellucci

Baghdatis - Lacko
Chardy - Gimeno-Traver
Greul - Serra
Kiefer - Ferrer

Youzhny - Sela
Gicquel - Mathieu
De Bakker - Giraldo
Mahut - Isner

Gulbis - Robert
Kavcic - Kubot
Haase - Blake
Nishikori - Nadal

Getta
06-18-2010, 05:35 PM
second round.

tennizen
06-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Qf

Foxy
06-18-2010, 06:01 PM
MIT: First round... just kidding, Second round, mm nah, Third round... not this time, 4th round?... maybe at RG11, not here, QF... why not, let it be SF for a change... who the hell is Murray... Final... there is no way the crybaby wins. PUT ME DOWN FOR A WIN.

acionescu
06-18-2010, 06:28 PM
shit draw

born_on_clay
06-18-2010, 07:09 PM
the draw is horrible
possible matches:
1-Nishikori
2-Blake
3-Gulbis
4-Youzhny/Isner
QF-Soderling
SF-Murray

OMG

MIT: SF this time, please

Topspin Forehand
06-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Qf

Betty
06-18-2010, 07:37 PM
SemiFinal

rafa_maniac
06-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Despite the horror draw, I'm keeping the faith. WIN :rocker: Vamos!

Matt H
06-18-2010, 08:13 PM
the draw is horrible
possible matches:
1-Nishikori
2-Blake
3-Gulbis
4-Youzhny/Isner
QF-Soderling
SF-Murray

OMG

MIT: SF this time, please

There is no doubt...Rafa has been given a tough road. There are no "gimmes" or unknowns here. Nishikori is a tough up-and-comer...and Blake, while off-form right now, is still no slouch. Still, I have full confidence that Rafa can dispense of them without TOO much trouble.

But...Gulbis in the 3rd??? I don't think he could have done any worse for a 3rd rounder.

Minn
06-18-2010, 09:11 PM
I would really like to say "Win". I will say SF instead.

Topspin Forehand
06-18-2010, 11:08 PM
There is no doubt...Rafa has been given a tough road. There are no "gimmes" or unknowns here. Nishikori is a tough up-and-comer...and Blake, while off-form right now, is still no slouch. Still, I have full confidence that Rafa can dispense of them without TOO much trouble.

But...Gulbis in the 3rd??? I don't think he could have done any worse for a 3rd rounder.
Isner in 4th round is worst possible one, Soderling in QF's is worst possible one, and Murray in the Semis is the worst possible one. The draw from hell.

wildegirl05
06-18-2010, 11:15 PM
win! but i will choose final so he always goes at least one step more :scared: :unsure:

JolánGagó
06-19-2010, 12:13 AM
MIT pick: SF

acionescu
06-19-2010, 05:27 AM
SF :bigcry:

Xristos
06-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Sf

dav abu
06-19-2010, 11:54 AM
if we're being honest it is the draw from hell but he can still do it! Rafa first match on Tuesday?

FormerRafaFan
06-19-2010, 12:25 PM
if we're being honest it is the draw from hell but he can still do it! Rafa first match on Tuesday?

Yup, it is a terrible draw for Rafa, but this is not anything new.. He always gets horrible draws. I still think he has a chance to win though.

Manequin75
06-19-2010, 04:20 PM
for a rafa form chat thread almost everybody here saying qf or sf....

the draw appears tough if you look at it but when you strat thinking about it its not all that bad...

first round - nishkori - pls that guy is ranked outside 200 and no way pulls out an upset of the world number one in the greatest tournament in the world. This will not be a tough match for rafa.

round 2 - blake is just a filler these days. He cant veen beat rafa on a hardcourt anymore. This will be EASY.

round 3 gulbis - he was injured in french open first round and hasnt played anything. SO in his forts tournamnet back he takes out the world number one in a grand slam? Please...I think gulbis might not even win 2 matches there and even if he does it will be routine. Infact i would have this matchup as it gives rafa practice returning a big server.

round 4 isner - max he takes a set off rafa. Rafa has beaten him the last couple of times they played. SOme more practice for rafa returning serves.

qf - soderling. This is the best guy rafa can face. I wouldnt have wanted hewitt or roddick here. Soderling is good when he has time to set up his frying-pan forehands and smash them into the lines. On grass which is quicker and low uneven bounces and with rafa's slices i think robin makes too many unforced errors. After a through beatdown in the french i think he lost that mental edge against rafa from 2009. Rafa aint losing this. NO WAY.

sf - Murray - this could be the first slugfest for rafa all tournament in my opinion. But at SF stage you expect a tough match against a fellow top player. But with these two rafa has the edge in frech and wimbledon with murray having the advantage in US open and AUstralian. This will be a long tough match - maybe a 5 setter with Rafa pulling out all stops at the end.

f- roddick or federer : I fancy the world number one to prevail in a grand slam final. His confidence by now would be even higher (if that is even possible) and he will have his chances.

Sure you give rafa mugs in the earlier rounds and you will feel better. But rafa gets into basline rallies with mugs and they could still end up being hard matches, like a couple earlier on in the french. Here he only has to neutralize the serve and the matches are in his pocket in the earlier rounds. Gulbis/Isner are only as good as their serves.

Im not worried about the draw. SOme of these threats wont even materialize as you will see as these players might not advance. But even if they do I feel good actually. Maybe the FO final has given me confidence to write a message like this - imagine what it must have done for rafa himself.

GO RAFA

Manequin75
06-19-2010, 06:28 PM
see what I mean...

rafas togh draw is already flattening out with gulbis withdrawing....lol

http://sportacentrs.com/teniss/latvijas_sportisti/19062010-gulbis_atsauc_dalibu_no_vimbldonas_turnir

Getta
06-19-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-19/201006191276962992366.html

R. Nadal - 19 June 2010

Saturday, 19 June 2010

Q. The last time you were here, you were climbing into the box to hug your family. What is the emotion you feel to be back here?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I was here last year, but I didn't play, yeah.

Sure always this tournament is very special I think for everybody because the tournament is probably the nicer in the world.

But, you know, for me always was a special illusion to play well in this court as I did for three years. Finally I won. So always be here is very nice memories and is always a pleasure be in this very beautiful club.

Q. How would you describe the last year in your life since you came here and weren't able to play?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, a lot of very good things, a few bad things. So, no, I still here. I am very happy about the 2010 season. I am playing probably one of my best seasons since before this tournament because the level was high in all the tournaments for me and I was healthy. So that's very important.

And the 2009 season, the last six months of the 2009 season, wasn't easy. A lot of injuries, problems. I worked hard to be back. I did, winning in Monte-Carlo, Rome, Madrid, and after in Roland Garros. Is very important personal satisfaction to be here.

Q. You may not have as much grass tennis as last year and two years ago. What is important before a big tournament like this? Is it to be used to the surface or be fresh mentally? Between both, what is the most important?

RAFAEL NADAL: Everything is important, no? If you are fresh like ice, but you are playing bad, you're going to lose. If you are playing very well but you are too tired, probably you gonna have the chances to win a few rounds, but finally you gonna lose. That's what happened for me in the US Open 2008.

But no, no one thing is happening to me. I am not very tired. I don't know if I am fresh or not probably. But the clay season was a hard clay season. But, you know, after winning three tournaments, very important tournaments for me, and Roland Garros, you lose a little bit attention for the moments. But I hope to be ready to play well on next Tuesday.

Q. You were hurt at Queen's Club and complaining of a leg injury. Has that cleared up now?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am fine. I am perfect. Thank you.

Q. You're playing against Kei Nishikori, the Japanese guy. I think you played against him two years ago. What are your impressions of him?

RAFAEL NADAL: He a very good player. I think he had an injury, a very important injury, for the last year or last two years. But he has amazing potential. I think he has enough potential to be in the top 10 if he is healthy and he's still improving a little bit.

I know going to be a very difficult match.

Q. Our queen is going to be here on Thursday. The All England Club are leaving it to the players whether they bow to the box or not. What have you decided to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: I would love to be Thursday to have the chance to do it. I don't know. I have to win the first match before on Thursday.

Q. And if you get through, will you bow?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I respect everything.

Q. You and Roger seem to get on very well for people who have a great rivalry. When Switzerland beat Spain in the World Cup, did he send you a text or get in touch?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. We are fair play inside and outside. No, no. I saw him just a second here. I congratulate him for the football. But, you know, remain a lot.

Q. Did you get a chance to go back to Mallorca after Queen's and relax?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure.

Q. When did you come back to London?

RAFAEL NADAL: Wednesday.

Q. So you had the fine weather.

RAFAEL NADAL: I had a few days in Mallorca, perfect days. Unlucky for me, Monday and Tuesday, the day was cloudy.

Q. But Sunday was good. Were you able to go to the beach last weekend?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, sure. I went for party with the friends. I played golf. I go to the beach. So I had a perfect Sunday. I need it.

Q. Where did you watch the football match on Wednesday? Alone or with friends?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I watch it here at the house with my uncle, with my physio, with Feliciano López and his physio.

Q. What are your thoughts about the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, first thing we probably didn't play our best, but we never had to lose that match. Was a big unlucky, very bad luck, I think. But, you know, this World Cup, a lot of teams are playing very defensive and is difficult to play against this kind of teams.

You see, all the matches are very close, 1-0, 0-0. Germany won first one 4-0. And Argentina I saw two days ago playing well. All of them, the rest of the matches end 1-0 or 0-0.

Q. You dealt with the disappointment of not being able to defend last year. You must have very warm memories of your win here and the final. How does that rate in the things you have achieved, the 2008 final here?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, win the title like Wimbledon probably is one of the more emotional moments in my career because I worked all my life hard to improve my tennis in the rest of the surfaces than clay. In clay, too. But is a little bit more easier for me.

For a Spanish player, when he is like that everybody saw that very far before, but a lot of players are doing very well here, Juan Carlos, Fernando Verdasco, Feliciano López, and myself, too. We have the illusion to change that and win here.

When I did, is like, I don't know, all the work you did to play well, to be more complete player and play well in all the surfaces, you did, and you winning the most difficult surface. Probably the most important tournament of the world, so was very important for me.

Q. You've won seven Grand Slam titles now. Same as McEnroe, one more than the likes of Becker. Are you interested in that type of thing? Do you have an eye on how many you can go on and win, like Roger getting the 16?

RAFAEL NADAL: I go day to day. I am not thinking about 16 and these crazy things. I think about the first match here. I have seven. That's more than what I dreamed six years ago or five years ago. So I am very happy about my career.

But, you know, four months ago, everybody says don't know if I going to be another time at the top. Four months later, not everything change. Wasn't too bad four months ago, and wasn't too good right now, so...

You know, is moments of your career, you have a lot of good moments, you have a lot of bad moments. Important thing is have enough motivation to keep working hard all the days with humble and trying to be better player than before. So that's what I did, and I gonna try to continue doing this.

Q. You have few bad moments, winning many matches. When you lose, that's very rare. Is there something you gain from it, something you learn from it? For example, the last time you lost, what did you learn from that match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not a lot.

Q. Not a lot?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not a lot, no, not in that match. You know, you play on grass. Was the first week for me on grass after a lot of matches on clay. You know, I tried my best. But at the same time I had a little bit problem on the leg. So I was a little bit scared to run at hundred percent.

But sure, you learn with the loses, you learn with the victories. You are more happy if you learn with victories than with loses, no? But the important thing is accept everything the same. So you have to be with calm when you are winning and you have to be with calm when you are losing.

That's what I always thought. I'm very happy when I win. And when I lose, you know, I'm disappointed, but next day I'm fine.

Q. You just on to the next match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Well, you have to analyze why you lose or what you have to do better to be better for the next time, and that's it. Keep working. So that's the only way for me.

Q. When you switch from clay court to grass court, what is the most important thing to concentrate on? Is it technically or mentally?

RAFAEL NADAL: Technique for me. Mentally I think I know how I have to play to play well on grass. But is difficult to do it for me, no?

Q. Technical adjustments you have to do?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the movements are very important, how to move. The way that you are touching the ball is very important because you have to -- you know, on clay you have more time to think.

Here, if you are not touching the ball perfect most of the times, is very difficult to have the control of the point.

So the important thing is adjust your game, adapt your game to play well on this surface. So you have to put the ball more inside the court. You can't defend on this surface because when you run to one place, is very difficult to come back, especially after the first week. After the second week is more like clay. But especially the first days is very difficult, so is very important.

Thank you very much.

born_on_clay
06-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the presser
Is Gulbis oficially out ?

Foxy
06-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the presser
Is Gulbis oficially out ?

Yes.

As I check again the draw only Isner, Soderling and Murray can trouble Rafa. And it is almost sure 1 of these 3, if not 2 of these 3, guys won't reach a match against him.
So no worries. That said the first week will be tricky when the grass is faster and more slippery. Rafa will feel more comfortable in the second week.

One more observation. I think the roof will be some sort of advantage for Rafa because there will be no interruption of play on center court meaning the grass will wear out much quicker than in 2008 when he won. For comparison when no roof present, there could be 1, 2 or even 3 full days with no play on center court like in 2007 meaning the grass will stay fast and intact.

acionescu
06-20-2010, 11:49 AM
SF and I am really kind here :o

born_on_clay
06-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Yes.

As I check again the draw only Isner, Soderling and Murray can trouble Rafa. And it is almost sure 1 of these 3, if not 2 of these 3, guys won't reach a match against him.
So no worries. That said the first week will be tricky when the grass is faster and more slippery. Rafa will feel more comfortable in the second week.

One more observation. I think the roof will be some sort of advantage for Rafa because there will be no interruption of play on center court meaning the grass will wear out much quicker than in 2008 when he won. For comparison when no roof present, there could be 1, 2 or even 3 full days with no play on center court like in 2007 meaning the grass will stay fast and intact.

good point :)
but I predict Youzhny to face Rafa instead of Isner
Vamos!

nashty
06-20-2010, 02:31 PM
I so badly want Rafa to win this thing!!! FINAL for now, when is his first match anyway?

shawshank
06-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Youznhy, Soderling and Murray- those are the players that can beat Rafa before final. Youznhy might lose earlier. The same case is with Soderling who has a really tough match in R1 with Ginepri and Soda was already beaten once in R1 of GS this year by the player with similar possibilities to Ginepri (Granollers in AO). Murray will almost for sure reach semis, but if he stays that defensive as he was recently than I'm not afraid of Muzza.
It's really tough to pick anything, but I will go with quarters...
BTW most probably I go to Wimbledon on Wednasday for 2 days, so I hope to see Rafa vs Blake live :)

Snoo Foo
06-22-2010, 05:54 AM
is this the mit thread? if so then win

Metis
06-22-2010, 09:03 AM
QF :sad:

How far will Rafa go in Wimbledon? (2000 points :eek: :drool: :hearts:)

1st -
2nd - Getta :yippee: :lol:
3rd -
4th -
QF - Metis, shawshank, tennizen, Topspin_Forehand
SF - acionescu, Betty, born_on_clay, JolanGago, Minn, Xristos
F - nashty, wildegirl05
W - -Evita-, Foxy, rafa_maniac, Snoo_Foo

-Evita-
06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm picking WIN :scared:

MariaV
06-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Lovely presser from Rafa as always. :hearts: :inlove: :worship:

I say WIN WIN WIN!!!!!!!! :bounce: :banana: :bigclap:

nashty
06-22-2010, 02:45 PM
i have 2 picks (win and final)?

MariaV
06-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Rafa beat Nishikori 6-2 6-4 6-4 without much drama. :D

Xristos
06-22-2010, 05:51 PM

How can you have 2 picks? Are you stupid?

MariaV
06-22-2010, 07:39 PM
And acionescu picked SF! :eek: :speakles: :hysteric: Was she allowed? :(

born_on_clay
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
Rafa beat Nishikori 6-2 6-4 6-4 without much drama. :D

very good performance from our hero :worship:

Topspin Forehand
06-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Youznhy, Soderling and Murray- those are the players that can beat Rafa before final. Youznhy might lose earlier. The same case is with Soderling who has a really tough match in R1 with Ginepri and Soda was already beaten once in R1 of GS this year by the player with similar possibilities to Ginepri (Granollers in AO). Murray will almost for sure reach semis, but if he stays that defensive as he was recently than I'm not afraid of Muzza.
It's really tough to pick anything, but I will go with quarters...
BTW most probably I go to Wimbledon on Wednasday for 2 days, so I hope to see Rafa vs Blake live :)
Youzhny? :lol:This isn't 2006.

adee-gee
06-22-2010, 11:29 PM
:haha:

Rafa's record under my threads improves to 92,374:1.

wildegirl05
06-22-2010, 11:48 PM
what was the "1", adam? what tarnishes your pristine record?

metis, my mit pick was final. my heart's desire is win. well, after mardy winning (which is my subconscious heart's desire :D)

nashty
06-23-2010, 02:09 AM

No, I'm not. I just saw it in the post of Metis, you might want to look at that.

adee-gee
06-23-2010, 07:25 AM
what was the "1", adam? what tarnishes your pristine record?
When he was playing like crap but still reached the final (was it Doha :scratch: ) bagelled Davydenko in the first set and had match points in the 2nd, but lost in 3 :tears:

It was still considerably better than expected given how badly he was playing :D

Castafiore
06-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Adam, letting his minions do all the work while he gets all the glory again, I see. :p

Right, here's the R1 presser:

Tuesday, 22 June 2010
R. Nadal Interview - 22 June

Q. How did it feel to be back on Centre Court?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hello (laughter).

Sure, it's always special to play on this court. Very happy to come back to this tournament and play in probably the most beautiful and emblematic court in the world.

Q. Did it feel different after missing last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Just happy to come back. Always the feeling is amazing. Was amazing all the time come back here after the victory in 2008 always, sure, is a little bit more special.

Q. In your own mind, was this the start of the defense of your title, the title you couldn't defend last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have to defend nothing, no one point. All the points are in positive for me in this tournament. I go day to day. For me was a very good victory today. Was difficult opponent, I think. And, sure, next round it will be very difficult against very dangerous serve like Robir Haase.

I don't feel like a defense of the title. Roger has to defend that. I have the chance to defend 2008. I didn't play for the knee. So that's the sport. Right now I gonna try my best.

Q. Was that as comfortable as you've felt on Centre Court? You looked straightaway into your groove.

RAFAEL NADAL: I played well. I think I played very good match. To be the first match here, I'm very happy.

Q. How long does it take you to fully adjust from the clay to the grass? How far in the tournament do you think it takes you to get to your peak on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think I am okay, no? Sure, every day is important. Maybe for the experience that I have here, if you win more matches, you can finish playing better than you start because in the end of the tournament you play similar than clay, no?

No, for me, first matches are very difficult. Always very important to pass. After that, I can start to play much better.

But I tell you, I am very happy how I played today. Was a very good match for me.

Q. What part of your game do you feel you have to adjust the most going from clay to grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not one part of the game. Is the game in general, you know. Is the time of the ball, the way that you have to win the points, the serve. So that's the most important things, no? The movements.

So is a lot of changes, no? Is not the forehand or the backhand, no? Is a little bit more general the way that you have to play, no?

Q. Did you feel special memories on the court, Here I got the trophy, or, Here I lie on my back?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have enough work to think about two years ago. When I go on court, I think about the opponent and about play my best tennis. No, I don't have time to think about another things, no.

Q. What did you think of Spain last night?

RAFAEL NADAL: Much better, I think. Well, much better. I think the first day we had probably not our best match. But we didn't play bad. And we lost, no? We were, I think, very unlucky.
And yesterday we were unlucky, too, I think, because we had to win 5 0, not 2 0.

Q. Did you watch Roger's game yesterday?

RAFAEL NADAL: For moments. Not all the match.

Q. What did you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was close, so... Sure, always the first round I tell you is very difficult. Normally for him are easier than for the rest of the other players because he plays like his normal tennis here on grass. He needs to adapt his game less than the rest of the players.

But Falla is a great player. Well, he had his chance. I think he wasn't play his best tennis in the moment that he need to play his best tennis to win. You know, you play against probably the best of the history on this surface, and for sure going to be a very important win for his confidence, I think.

Q. Which one of his records do you think is his most impressive?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every one. Every one is amazing. If I have to say something, 23 semifinals in a row of Grand Slam.

Q. Why?

RAFAEL NADAL: Because is five years, almost six years, playing all four Grand Slams. You can have no one injury, no one bad day, so is amazing. That's my feeling, no? So 23 semifinals in a row, in my opinion, impossible to do it another time.

Q. John McEnroe was saying if you stay fit, he thinks you can get 12 or 13 Grand Slams, if not more.

RAFAEL NADAL: I have seven. Thank you to John. I have seven. I play Robir Haase the next round. I will see when I finish my career, no? I am very happy to have seven. That's more than what I dreamed a few years ago.

So, sure, for me I feel very lucky to be here another time. And to have seven Grand Slams already at home, keep fighting to play well. If I still playing well, if I still improving my tennis, I think I hope have more chances to win.

But the important thing always is the same: have enough motivation to keep improving, enough illusion to go every day when you wake up on court and practice at your hundred percent. That's the way. That's what I did all my life. I hope to keep doing for a long time. If not, I don't gonna have a lot of chances. Is very difficult to win every Grand Slam.

Q. You said the win today was the condition to play in front of the Queen on Thursday. You will be in front of her on Thursday. Is it a pressure or an extra motivation?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, believe me, just for me, is just can say a pleasure to have the Queen here in Wimbledon. That's very good for the sport. And for me is not an extra pression, for sure. For me, just an honor watch the Queen in the Royal Box. So I would love to have the chance to say hello to her, but that's it (smiling). That's it.

Q. You spoke about what you felt was Roger's most amazing record. Of your tremendous accomplishments, what do you think your best achievement is?

RAFAEL NADAL: 81 matches straight on clay. That's a lot.

Q. In a certain way is that showing consistency, day in, day out being able to raise your game even under bad conditions? Is that why you're proud of it?

RAFAEL NADAL: The 81?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think that's the most impressive of my record, this one. Because, you know, in a lot of matches you have difficult moments. And not all the tournaments, not all the matches you are playing well. That's for sure. And you still winning. You still winning very difficult matches.

81 is a lot. A lot of days finish the match with the victory. And for me, that's, well, very difficult to repeat, too.

Q. What was the moment that came closest to losing to break that streak? Did you have one moment where you were close to having that streak broken?

RAFAEL NADAL: In this 81?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: During this 81, I have matches close to lose?

Q. Which was the most?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lot. 3 0, 40 15, double break against Coria in the fifth set of Rome. Against Niemenen in Barcelona I have 6 4, 4 1. Against Roger in Rome, 4 1 in the fifth, 6 5 or 5 4, 15 40. So two match points.

Link to video: here (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-22/201006221277202240748.html)
Link to Nishikori's interview: click here (http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-22/201006221277230189735.html)

Foxy
06-23-2010, 11:23 AM
I finally see a very positive sign in Rafa's game. It is the forehand block (underspin) return. That shot will win him slams outside RG. He should remember this shot and use it here a lot and at the US Open. Using it he can start from neutral in rallies against big servers.

-Evita-
06-23-2010, 12:30 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/90/fullj.0f2cdfd3b6648f4879b4463c0d11e90f/0f2cdfd3b6648f4879b4463c0d11e90f-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/90/fullj.9ed71db164653f9c813c84358d530e93/9ed71db164653f9c813c84358d530e93-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/30/fullj.ff044b42290fc9e13131acc087ad8ff1/ff044b42290fc9e13131acc087ad8ff1-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

acionescu
06-23-2010, 12:43 PM
He is blogging for The Times again :D

I bet his blog is as thrilling and candid as ever :drool:

MariaV
06-23-2010, 12:58 PM
He is blogging for The Times again :D

I bet his blog is as thrilling and candid as ever :drool:

Oh oh, I'm gonna put up all the entries right away. :D :D :D *dedicated to Adam ;)*

MariaV
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
It's great to be back - I hope this blog brings me luck

Hello everyone,

Hope you all are well. I am back at Wimbledon, well last year I also came but I could not play. Remember I came to play an exhibition to try and test how I was feeling and then decided I could not play. It was partly tough since the decision was not tough to take. I was not healthy and I could not play. So the tough part was to know I could not play to defend the title.

But I like to think positive and look ahead. I am here at Wimbledon again, practicing well, happy and ready to play, You never know how things can go, because this is THE tournament and every player entering the draw wants to win it. There are many factors, many things that can happen.

Hopefully things will go well. If they do great, and if not I know I have many more years to come back. Hopefully this blog will also bring me a little bit of luck like in the past times.

Thanks to all for your support. You really make me feel great here!

Thanks.
Rafa
:kiss:

Questions for Rafa: England will qualify at the World Cup

Hola Rafa, congratulations on your clay slam and fifth Roland Garros title, you were awesome. I watched you winning your French Open in no other than your beloved Mallorca! I would love to ask you who would you say is your toughest opponent on grass? Except Roger of course! Fae (London)

RN: Many thanks. Grass is a special surface and clearly the servers, the big servers are all very dangerous! But also the players that return well are difficult on this surface.

Rafa, we all know you take lots of showers, but do you ever have time to relax in a nice hot bath? I read on your Facebook page you thought it was cold when you practiced on Saturday. You must keep your muscles warm against our strange weather. Angela

RN: Sometime yes. But not much. Yesterday it was pretty cold but once you cover and you run is also OK.

So happy to have you back at Wimbledon! Congratulations on all your success this year. I'm wondering about your relationship with R. Maymo. You spend so much time together, I'm wondering if you've become close friends or is it a more professional relationship? You must depend on him a great deal. I want to thank him for taking such good care of you! Jane

RN: Many thanks. I have a close and personal relationship with all my team members. We are working but friends also, even if we have a difference on age like with Carlos and Benito. With Maymo I spent the most time since he is always at every tournament and every practice with me. So yes, it is a very important guy in the team.

Howdy, Rafa! In a recent interview, it was mentioned that you were getting nervous because the driver of your car was going a bit fast. What tournament has the craziest, most nerve-wracking hotel-to-site drive? Beth

RN: I suppose that was in Rome ... They drive really "different" there.

Hi Rafa, I finally got to meet you at Queens, is your hamstring ok? Saludos, Sam

RN: Everything well, believe me.

Hola Rafa! What do you think about England's performance at the World Cup so far? Kim, London

RN: I am sure they'll qualify and then a whole new World Cup starts. I think they have a great team!

Hi Rafa, thanks for blogging and answering our questions again, I love reading everything and it's the first thing I look at when I switch on my computer. My question is: have you watched any of "Big Brother" on TV now you're in London and would you ever go on a reality TV show such as "I'm a celebrity get me out of here" where famous people live in the jungle for three weeks and have to do tasks to earn their meals? Juliette Westbrook-Finch

RN: Nope, not at all. I am not much into those shows to be honest with you. :angel:

Rafa, congratulations on your clay season, it is so good to see you confident and healthy again. In the trophy ceremonies, if the Spanish anthem had words would you sing along or not? Christy from Canada

RN: Yes, for sure. That is a special feeling for me when I hear the anthem and see the flag. :angel:

I saw Beyonce (the singer) in the crowds at the Roland Garros final. Are you planning another music video? Marija B :spit:

RN: Hahaha. No, not really. :angel: :haha: :haha:

I can't wait to get my campaign underway

Hello everybody,

Let me start by saying how happy I am to start again my Wimbledon tournament. I am really looking forward to tomorrow's match since it's been since you know when that I haven't played here... I am very excited about it believe me and I am looking forward very much to seeing all the fans as we enter the center court.

I was informed today that I was playing on Center Court and I was very happy about it. It is no secret that I love to play here and I love this tournament with that great atmosphere on Center.

I am also happy for the World Cup and Spain finally winning that match against Honduras. We watched it all at the house. I love football and to see Spain winning is also something that motivates me.

And I did see Roger's match on TV. I know this question comes so I prefer to just say it, I always say when asked about the tournaments, the draws, the final before even having played the first round that today's tennis and the competition is very, very tough. Roger's match was an example. Falla played great tennis and there are no easy matches here. I always say it when asked in the first round about a potential final... We go round after round, each match is important and difficult. *dedicated to Adam & Co :angel:*

I am playing on Tuesday my first round against a very good player and it won't be easy. *special dedication to Adam & Co :angel:*

Thanks

Rafa

Questions for Rafa: did you really get a D in gym class?

Hallo Rafa, congratulations on your clay court season and winning Roland Garros! The grass court season is very short whilst Wimbledon is one of the biggest tournaments - do you wish there were a few more grass tournaments to build up to Wimbledon or do you think this is part of the challenge for this prestigious trophy? I hope you can repeat your 2008 success at Wimbledon!Love, Anthea (London)

RN: Many thanks. THis is a very difficult question to answer. True that the grass court season is very short, but I am not sure that Wimbledon and Roland Garros would move their dates...

Hola rafa! Congratulations for yet another French open title! I'm so pleased and excited you’re back at Wimbledon, I have tickets so hopefully I will see you! My question is if you had to stay away from home for a year which country would you go to? Good luck at Wimbledon - I've got my Spanish flag ready to wave! Jazz Beale UK

RN: Many thanks. I would definitely stay in Spain, in Mallorca.

You promised to tell us a story about how a great Rafa Nadal got once a D at gym class in school and you never did! Could we hear it now? Marija Baletic

RN: Hahahahahaha. It is too long to tell here. Maybe next week i'll post the story on my web site (rafaelnadal.com)

Hi Rafa! I read that you practiced with Andy Roddick the other day. Do you practice together often? You are my two favourite players! Angela, New York

RN: Yes I did. It is not normal that we practice together, specially before a big tournament. But we had the chance and we had a good practice I have to say. I like Andy. :D

Congratulations for your French Open victory! I wanted to ask if it made you a little nervous to have the Queen of Spain sitting courtside? I understand she doesn’t often leave Spain for events like this so it made me happy she came to cheer your victory. Terry

RN: Not really since I have been very honoured to have her coming to several matches. It is always special to have the support of the Royal Family so I am only thankful to them for their support. :angel:

Hola Rafa, thank you very much for writing another blog for us, your very lucky fans and for replying to our questions … you are very lovely. Rafa, which football teams have impressed you in the World Cup? Thanks a million and good luck, Rafa. And good luck to Spain in the World Cup.
Niamh Kearney, Ireland

RN: Thank you for being there. So far I have to say that the USA played the fresher football. They are offensive and not scared of losing. I also liked Portugal with that 7-0 amazing score. And Spain is getting better...

Hi Rafa, welcome back to the green grass of home! Have you ever tried fish and chips when in England? Judith VB

RN: Yes I have. You know I love fish! (and chips too). :o :lol:

Hi Rafa, congrats on a great spring. If you could add one shot to your game from another top player (i.e. Roddick's serve, Gasquet's backhand, etc), which one would it be? Greg, Vancouver, Canada

RN: Federer's serve! :o

Hiya Rafa, I know you started playing tennis left-handed several years ago but can you still play right handed? Good luck for Wimbledon, I hope you will be biting the trophy in 2 weeks! Take care, Andrea from Lancaster, England

RN: Not at all. I cant play with my right hand (and win obviously)

Hi Rafa, now that Spain has unexpectedly lost its first match (to Switzerland!), I am wondering: how does a bad result for Spain in the World Cup influence your mood on court? Myra, The Netherlands

RN: Not on the court. Not at all. It affects me off the court, that's for sure! :angel:

MariaV
06-23-2010, 02:18 PM
And the latest ones. :D
Wimbledon is such a beautiful place to place tennis

Hello everyone,

I am writing this blog this year again from the house I rented in Wimbledon. Have to say that since I stay here the tournament is much better for me.
I used to stay in the city at a hotel but in the last 5 years (except last year, obviously) I am staying at a rented house next to the courts. That really is a big difference. Big change and much better. I really feel like home like this. As a matter of fact we do everything that you would do home. Cook, clean (that's the worst I suppose), ....

But changing subject, let me tell you that this club is simply amazing. Today I went to one of the roofs and had the chance to see the club. It is beautiful and we are very privileged to come and play at this place.

Rafa.

Questions for Rafa: how's the golf game?

What is your favorite tapas? Debbie, USA

RN: I always like anything that has fish. The olives too.

Do you think that if the prize money is equal for men and women then the women should also play five sets? Good luck at Wimbledon. Cheryl USA

RN: I think that discussion is something way more complicated. That statement is not the correct one.

You told us that you have watched PGA Golf on TV. Have you already played some golf here in England yet? MK SW19

RN: Yes I have had the chance to play golf here. Beautiful place when the sun is out.

What is the first thing you think about when you wake up ?
Axčle

RN: That I have to wake up... :-) :D :D :D

Besides Spain, which team would you like to see do well at this year's World Cup? Jessica, China

RN: That's a very good question, We were talking about it while watching Argentina tonight. There are a few teams that I like watching like England, Argentina, Brazil...

How many languages do you speak? We know about Spanish, Catalan, Mallorcan, English, some Italian and some French. That's very impressive. Do you know a little bit of any other languages? Like German or Swedish or something like that? Vernon, BC

RN: Well, Catalan and Mallorcan is almost the same. My English is getting better... Not really French...

Jamie Baker said practising with you was like playing a "machine" as well as a real culture shock. How do you manage to keep so focus when you practice? Susanna

RN: I always said play like you practice so I suppose that answers the question. But clearly not like a machine.

born_on_clay
06-23-2010, 02:32 PM
thanks for all blogs and questions :)
I hope for more to come :D

presser:

R Nadal - 22 June 2010
Tuesday, 22 June 2010

Q. How did it feel to be back on Centre Court?

RAFAEL NADAL: Hello (laughter).

Sure, it's always special to play on this court. Very happy to come back to this tournament and play in probably the most beautiful and emblematic court in the world.

Q. Did it feel different after missing last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. Just happy to come back. Always the feeling is amazing. Was amazing all the time come back here after the victory in 2008 always, sure, is a little bit more special.

Q. In your own mind, was this the start of the defense of your title, the title you couldn't defend last year?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have to defend nothing, no one point. All the points are in positive for me in this tournament. I go day to day. For me was a very good victory today. Was difficult opponent, I think. And, sure, next round it will be very difficult against very dangerous serve like Robir Haase.

I don't feel like a defense of the title. Roger has to defend that. I have the chance to defend 2008. I didn't play for the knee. So that's the sport. Right now I gonna try my best.

Q. Was that as comfortable as you've felt on Centre Court? You looked straightaway into your groove.

RAFAEL NADAL: I played well. I think I played very good match. To be the first match here, I'm very happy.

Q. How long does it take you to fully adjust from the clay to the grass? How far in the tournament do you think it takes you to get to your peak on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think I am okay, no? Sure, every day is important. Maybe for the experience that I have here, if you win more matches, you can finish playing better than you start because in the end of the tournament you play similar than clay, no?

No, for me, first matches are very difficult. Always very important to pass. After that, I can start to play much better.

But I tell you, I am very happy how I played today. Was a very good match for me.

Q. What part of your game do you feel you have to adjust the most going from clay to grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is not one part of the game. Is the game in general, you know. Is the time of the ball, the way that you have to win the points, the serve. So that's the most important things, no? The movements.

So is a lot of changes, no? Is not the forehand or the backhand, no? Is a little bit more general the way that you have to play, no?

Q. Did you feel special memories on the court, Here I got the trophy, or, Here I lie on my back?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have enough work to think about two years ago. When I go on court, I think about the opponent and about play my best tennis. No, I don't have time to think about another things, no.

Q. What did you think of Spain last night?

RAFAEL NADAL: Much better, I think. Well, much better. I think the first day we had probably not our best match. But we didn't play bad. And we lost, no? We were, I think, very unlucky.
And yesterday we were unlucky, too, I think, because we had to win 5 0, not 2 0.

Q. Did you watch Roger's game yesterday?

RAFAEL NADAL: For moments. Not all the match.

Q. What did you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was close, so... Sure, always the first round I tell you is very difficult. Normally for him are easier than for the rest of the other players because he plays like his normal tennis here on grass. He needs to adapt his game less than the rest of the players.

But Falla is a great player. Well, he had his chance. I think he wasn't play his best tennis in the moment that he need to play his best tennis to win. You know, you play against probably the best of the history on this surface, and for sure going to be a very important win for his confidence, I think.

Q. Which one of his records do you think is his most impressive?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every one. Every one is amazing. If I have to say something, 23 semifinals in a row of Grand Slam.

Q. Why?

RAFAEL NADAL: Because is five years, almost six years, playing all four Grand Slams. You can have no one injury, no one bad day, so is amazing. That's my feeling, no? So 23 semifinals in a row, in my opinion, impossible to do it another time.

Q. John McEnroe was saying if you stay fit, he thinks you can get 12 or 13 Grand Slams, if not more.

RAFAEL NADAL: I have seven. Thank you to John. I have seven. I play Robir Haase the next round. I will see when I finish my career, no? I am very happy to have seven. That's more than what I dreamed a few years ago.

So, sure, for me I feel very lucky to be here another time. And to have seven Grand Slams already at home, keep fighting to play well. If I still playing well, if I still improving my tennis, I think I hope have more chances to win.

But the important thing always is the same: have enough motivation to keep improving, enough illusion to go every day when you wake up on court and practice at your hundred percent. That's the way. That's what I did all my life. I hope to keep doing for a long time. If not, I don't gonna have a lot of chances. Is very difficult to win every Grand Slam.

Q. You said the win today was the condition to play in front of the Queen on Thursday. You will be in front of her on Thursday. Is it a pressure or an extra motivation?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, believe me, just for me, is just can say a pleasure to have the Queen here in Wimbledon. That's very good for the sport. And for me is not an extra pression, for sure. For me, just an honor watch the Queen in the Royal Box. So I would love to have the chance to say hello to her, but that's it (smiling). That's it.

Q. You spoke about what you felt was Roger's most amazing record. Of your tremendous accomplishments, what do you think your best achievement is?

RAFAEL NADAL: 81 matches straight on clay. That's a lot.

Q. In a certain way is that showing consistency, day in, day out being able to raise your game even under bad conditions? Is that why you're proud of it?

RAFAEL NADAL: The 81?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: I think that's the most impressive of my record, this one. Because, you know, in a lot of matches you have difficult moments. And not all the tournaments, not all the matches you are playing well. That's for sure. And you still winning. You still winning very difficult matches.

81 is a lot. A lot of days finish the match with the victory. And for me, that's, well, very difficult to repeat, too.

Q. What was the moment that came closest to losing to break that streak? Did you have one moment where you were close to having that streak broken?

RAFAEL NADAL: In this 81?

Q. Yes.

RAFAEL NADAL: During this 81, I have matches close to lose?

Q. Which was the most?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lot. 3 0, 40 15, double break against Coria in the fifth set of Rome. Against Niemenen in Barcelona I have 6 4, 4 1. Against Roger in Rome, 4 1 in the fifth, 6 5 or 5 4, 15 40. So two match points.

born_on_clay
06-23-2010, 03:42 PM
nice quote from Roddick's presser about Rafa:
Q. Do you get the impression that Rafa is maybe back to where he was two years ago where he can seriously challenge for the title again after what happened in Paris?

ANDY RODDICK: Yeah. I don't know that I ever have gone into a Grand Slam and said Rafa can't challenge for the title. You know, it's a very fine line between playing okay and playing really well. And right now he's kind of found that 'really well' again.

I guess for me, I look at it, you know, I see ‑‑ the way it's presented as far as Rafa's success is a little bit predictable to me as far as what I read. It's like he hasn't won a tournament for this long, all of a sudden he gets on the clay, he wins everything, everyone changes him into a different human being. He's the same human being. He's the most dominant clay court player that's ever played. He's the best clay court player in my opinion that's played. And obviously winning matches creates confidence. You know, so obviously he uses that as a bit of a springboard.

But, you know, I don't think anybody in the locker room has ever said, Rafa is not the same. It's just a matter of him getting into a groove. He lost one match last year. It's one match in six years. Everyone acted like he was finished, it was the end, it was this. We don't deal in headlines or extremes again. He lost one match.

Castafiore
06-24-2010, 10:19 AM
Nadal's R1 presser was already posted on the previous page, born_on_clay. ;)

A cute video with Rafa and his cousins (Toni's sons):
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWYtuGvYnDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BWYtuGvYnDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
(credit to RafaNadalLive & vb.com)

+ a little snippit (taken from The Daily Mail):
RAFA’S LOVE MATCH

Rafa Nadal served up another love match yesterday — on his day off. The 2008 champion was busy on the Aorangi Park training courts preparing for today’s clash with Dutchman Robin Haase when he was engulfed by two young relatives. The children exchanged bear hugs with Nadal before planting some smackers on his cheeks. Jealous anyone?

Metis
06-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Nice choice of photos Evita :devil: :D

metis, my mit pick was final. my heart's desire is win. well, after mardy winning (which is my subconscious heart's desire :D)

:tape: Sorry guys, I was in a hurry and messed up. :(

Metis
06-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Corrected picks below. Maybe everyone should take a look and make sure their names are in the round they picked. :unsure:

1st -
2nd - Getta :yippee: :lol:
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, wildegirl05
W - -Evita-, Foxy, MariaV, rafa_maniac, Snoo_Foo

MariaV
06-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Hey hey Metis, you missed me - W. :p

tennizen
06-24-2010, 02:54 PM
^^ Nice video.

Metis
06-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Hey hey Metis, you missed me - W. :p

corrected :o

Metis
06-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Nadal-Haase 5-7 6-2 3-6 6-0 6-3 :unsure:

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, wildegirl05

Getta: gets her customary 2nd round FAIL :D

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/24/129191808871460319.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/3559540992)

acionescu
06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Getta :( That was close :ras:

Topspin Forehand
06-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Close but glad he got through. In less than 2 and a half hours is amazing for a 5 setter. Nadal was playing like Agassi today.

Foxy
06-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Close but glad he got through. In less than 2 and a half hours is amazing for a 5 setter. Nadal was playing like Agassi today.

Randre Nadalassi! ;)

Minn
06-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Nadal-Haase 5-7 6-2 3-6 6-0 6-3 :unsure: :scared: Five sets?!

born_on_clay
06-25-2010, 06:11 AM
that's grass - you play two bad points, your opponent breaks you twice and you lose two sets :shrug:
It was good so see Rafa crushing his rival it two final sets :D

MariaV
06-25-2010, 07:23 AM
Rafa's presser :)

Thursday, 24 June 2010

Q. It was a tough match for you. What were you feeling in the third set when he was getting so many aces against you?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, was very difficult match. I said the other day after the first round second round will be very difficult. Was like this.

Sure, I was playing well all the time. That's my feeling. But in the first set, 6‑5, 30‑Love, and he has a good return, one double‑fault, one mistake with my forehand, he had another good return, ended the set.

In the second I played well. In the third I play well, but something similar. I have the match under control, but later I saved Love‑30 in that game. I had a smash, I had not very bad smash, but he was there, and finally I lost the game another time with very good cross forehand for him. Unbelievable. And that had nothing to do with the return.

So just try to be there, try to be very concentrate, very focus with myself and fight all the time. That's what I felt in the third. :angel:

And in the fourth and in the fifth...

Q. Is the fact you came back from 2‑1 down give you more confidence than what you would have gotten from a straight‑sets victory?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I confident after the match. Before the match, I tell you I know he going to be a very difficult opponent, because he's a big server, difficult player. On this surface, is very difficult to stop him.

I'm very happy to be in third round because probably today was difficult.

Q. Going forward, does that give you a bigger boost than if it would have been a straightforward match?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, I'm very happy to win in five sets. Everybody prefers to win in three, but is not possible a lot of times, especially in this surface because all depends on a few points.

Played probably four bad points in two sets and I lose both sets. That's the tennis like this. But mentally I think I was perfect in the fourth and in the fifth. :D :yeah:

Q. You talked in Paris about the strings you're using, giving you more spin. Do you feel the same kind of effect here on the grass with the ball?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, always the same, no? The string can help you, but you are the person, you are the player, not the string. You play; the string doesn't play. That's my feeling.

Sure, the string can help you for moments, for maybe the string is better than the other one because give me the chance to feel the ball more time inside the racquet. That's give me a little bit more control. But that's my feeling, that you are the person. You lose, you win, not the string.

Q. Can you explain what happened this morning? Did you miss meeting the Queen? There's some suggestion you weren't there.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, was disappointing for me. But, you know, the Club knows, Wimbledon Club knows that before, because I have my routines before the match. I had a very difficult match, before the match, I know going to be a very difficult match. I had to practice around 12, so was impossible for me.

Seriously I thought the Queen was going to be in my match, and I would love to have the chance to meet her after the match. But wasn't possible because I think the Queen left before. For me was disappointing. I was excited to meet her. But was very important match for me, too. :angel: :worship: :bowdown:Bless you

Q. If you had known she wouldn't be there for your match, would you have gone to meet her?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, because I have my routines. Before the match, is very difficult when you have ‑‑ you don't know when you gonna play, no? You have third match. But if some injury there, you are on court before.

I had the practice at that time, so was impossible for me to meet her at that moment, no?

Q. When do you prepare for the match during the day? Is it two hours before, three hours before, when you wake up?

RAFAEL NADAL: When I wake up, I try to wake up as late as I can when I play in the afternoon because if not, the day is too long for me. I try to want to sleep a little bit later when I'm not playing early in the morning, because I play a little bit later. Wake up, have a breakfast, go to practice one hour, something like this, 45, one hour, 50. After that I have quick lunch.

Just I was in the locker room always doing my tapes, having a shower, and preparing for the match, listen music.

Q. You've been in situations here at Wimbledon where your matches have been pushed back by rain or something where you've had to play day after day after day. For John Isner, after a match like this, do you think he has a competitive disadvantage coming into the next round after playing three days in a row and long matches?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, was amazing, first of all. Was amazing match. Just congratulate both of players because they did something amazing. Be focus around 10 hours, that's amazing, to not lose the serve in all that time, no? So just congratulate both.

After that, I think the winner of the match was lucky to not finish the match yesterday because today probably they have yesterday to recover, yesterday night. Today they didn't play as long as they did yesterday. So they still have one day: today and play tomorrow.

Sure is a little bit disadvantage, but would be worse if they finished the match yesterday night at 9 because they had to play today. They have more time now. But, sure, is not easy to win. They make history, I think.

Q. You said you wouldn't change your routine to meet the Queen. Is there anything or anybody in the world that would make you change your routine? :o :lol:

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I am playing in Wimbledon. Is not a joke. I love this tournament. I have a lot of respect for the Queen. I have a lot of respect for this tournament. Always was my dream play here. Today is a match, is a match day for me, no? So I have my things to do, and I try to do my best what I think is the best to win the match, no? So not in that case. :yeah: You tell 'em! :yeah:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-24/201006241277387098912.html

Castafiore
06-25-2010, 08:20 AM
You know, I am playing in Wimbledon. Is not a joke
:yeah:

He handled those questions well. I would have lost my patience ages ago.(breaking news, I know)

MariaV
06-25-2010, 08:26 AM
LOL Hilde, me too. It's so admirable how they (not only Rafa) handle all those silly questions after every match.
Although I like to make fun of Fediva's answers when he loses his patience or calm sometimes. :o :lol: (Yeah I know it's breaking news too :o :lol:)

Castafiore
06-25-2010, 09:02 AM
I would love to be a fly on the wall after his pressers at times to find out what he really thinks. (it'll have to be a fly who understands Mallorquin as well as Spanish, though)

http://i47.tinypic.com/2ntil1u.jpg
Look how high he went in this picture. They showed this celebration in slow motion on the BBC. :inlove:

JolánGagó
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
Obnoxious as always the British press. What the hell, the Queen of England in Wimbledon, big fuken deal.

centralviva
06-25-2010, 09:18 PM
I was at the match yesterday on CC :) My first time seeing Rafa and it was 5 sets its been my highlight of 2010 so far,he's such a good all court player and I just love that forehand even more:inlove: Was sitting near uncle Tony as well so any time he was pumped up he vamos in our direction:):)

shawshank
06-26-2010, 04:40 PM
I was at the match yesterday on CC :) My first time seeing Rafa and it was 5 sets its been my highlight of 2010 so far,he's such a good all court player and I just love that forehand even more:inlove: Was sitting near uncle Tony as well so any time he was pumped up he vamos in our direction:):)

I was also sitting two rows behind uncle Toni :) This match was so great. I had so much fun watching Rafa live on Wimbledon!

MariaV
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
OMG you guys, I'm so jealous now! :lol:
Anyway good you had fun! :D

Topspin Forehand
06-26-2010, 06:02 PM
Dang this match took a lot out of Nadal. Hope he has enough going forward. Mathieu is no easy customer either. A 4 hour and 50 match with Nadal at RG. :scared:

MariaV
06-26-2010, 06:37 PM
I knew something was wrong with Rafa already in the last match vs Haase. :( And he just has to give me heart attacks! :help: :help: Another 5-setter 6-4 4-6 6-7 (5) 6-2 6-3
Phew! I don't even dare to say he should beat PHM, maybe PHM will be just kind enough to choke. :o :o But Rafa is SOOOOOOOOO going down to Söderling in the quarterfinal, Söderling looks mighty impressive! :yeah:

Naina
06-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Rafa needs to stop all this 5 set nonsense. My heart can't take much more :sobbing: Step it up dude we are in the 2nd week :armed:

Metis
06-27-2010, 08:46 AM
Rafa :help:

Better win tomorrow. A massive MIT FAIL at a Grand Slam is unacceptable. :(

born_on_clay
06-27-2010, 10:49 AM
Is it something wrong with Rafa's knees ? :scared:

Foxy
06-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Is it something wrong with Rafa's knees ? :scared:

Only with the right knee which he will have it treated after Wimbledon and thus be in a great physical shape for the american hardcourt swing.
Do not expect to win any more matches at Wimby, though.

MariaV
06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
Here's the presser for you, all hysteria now loose after he told about the knee pain and injury stuff and not playing the DC tie vs France. Oh dear, would have really been better not to say anything but he just couldn't this time. And I saw there was something wrong already vs Haase, he was kinda grim and gesturing to his camp. Oh dear. *sigh*

Saturday, 26 June 2010

Q. Was it fair to be warned about coaching? You looked very angry.

RAFAEL NADAL: Sometimes, yes. Not today, in my opinion. But, yes, sometimes in the past Toni talk maybe too much. And when it happened, and the referee or the umpire give me an advice, and if it is continuing, later a warning.

But not today, in my opinion. Yeah, no.

Q. After your incredible clay court season, now 13 sets in one week in Wimbledon, how are you feeling right now emotionally and physically?

RAFAEL NADAL: Emotionally perfect. I fighted a lot last two matches. I think I played very good tennis. But I told before the tournament, the draw gonna be difficult. That's what happen when you play against these player that they have very good serve. So all decide in a few points and everything is very difficult, no?

Physical, I have a little bit problem on the right knee. But, you know, I have one day and a half to get recovered. I happy to be in the fourth round. For me it very good news, having very tough matches and in the end winning. So that's a very positive thing mentally.

Q. Do you think it's taken you longer to settle in because it's been two years since you've been on grass?

RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. You were saying something from the baseline to the umpire, shouting at him, gesturing at him. What were you saying to him?

RAFAEL NADAL: I was saying, We gonna talk with the supervisor later.

Q. And did you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not yet.

Q. Will you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I will, yeah. I will because today for me wasn't ‑‑ Toni wasn't give me any tip. He was only supporting me. When he put me warning, he said positive, you know.

Q. How much are you worried about your knee? Is there a risk you should skip the Davis Cup tie after Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Well, sure, I am a little bit scared about the knee. But, you know, it happen. I had a treatment after Monte‑Carlo. So I had the problem. I didn't say nothing before, but you know, guys, how is everything. I had the problem against Roddick in the semifinals of Miami.

I don't like to say nothing in that moment because when you lose, always looks like an excuse. But I can say now I had the problem after I played in Monte‑Carlo with a little bit of pain on the knee, on the left knee, because that's what happened there.

After Monte‑Carlo, I didn't play Barcelona because I had to do a treatment, new treatment. You know, I tried to play the clay season perfect because in that moment the right knee was better than the left. But at the same time I know the knees are not hundred percent recovered. But playing on clay and maybe on grass, if is not very long matches, can work well.

But the last treatments I did between Monte‑Carlo and Rome was perfect. I didn't have no one more problem on the left knee. But just I did one time, and I need to do three times.

I didn't have time to do it at the right knee before because I had to play. The clay season was my main goal of the season. After here I gonna do it another time, no? My goals for me is a big disappointment not be in the Davis Cup on France, you know. Some confrontations, if you play at home against some country, maybe you cannot play this one. But playing in France for me is a very special confrontation and a very big motivation for me.

But I talked with the captain, I talked with the president of the Federation a few days ago, and I said, Guys, I never arrive to the US Open with my hundred percent of conditions. I had last year broken abdominal, two years ago playing crazy here. After Olympics, I did arrive very tired. And I really want to try to go there with my best chances, no, to play, to play my hundred percent.

So I need to do this treatment after here. If I play Davis Cup, I don't have enough time to recover and play tournaments, Cincinnati. Everything was perfect for me last few months, and I need to be ready to finish the season well. My goal is try to keep having the chance to be No. 1 for the rest of the season. That's gonna be difficult. But if you are not in hundred percent of condition, is going to be impossible.

Q. Philipp said you were running exactly the same before and after the timeout. He said you could have played another two or three sets. He said it was a clever timeout because it broke his concentration. What do you think about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, everything is fair to think what they want. I never call a treatment ‑‑ I never call the physio when I don't have nothing, not one time in my career. If I call the physio today, it was because it was bothering me a lot, the knee, no?

The last day, it starts a little bit, and I didn't call the physio because I can't resist that. But today I needed to take little bit time. I have the quadriceps muscle very tight and I need to relax it a little bit. Maybe with this relaxation, the knee works a little bit better.

That's why I called the physio.

Q. How bad is your knee right now? You said you're scared. What are you scared of?

RAFAEL NADAL: My knee is like this. I don't know how bad is my knee. My knee, I can finish the match. We will see how is going the next day. But, you know, I am here to try my best and to try to keep in the tournament and playing well, no? I am not thinking about scared or retired or something like this. That's not going to happen.

Q. You did say a little while ago you were scared. What does scare you about the knee, maybe long term if not for this moment?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, I not scared, because I know what I have on the knee, is not something new, is something from the past. I know what I have to do to recover the knee. I didn't have time to do it before here. But after, I have the new treatment.

With the new treatment, the left knee works perfect. So when I going to do that to the right, hopefully that's going to be the same.

Q. What special treatment?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me I can't explain now, especially in English. Sorry.

Q. Can you finish the tournament? Do you feel physically strong enough you can really mount a challenge and beat Roger if the occasion comes?

RAFAEL NADAL: I play against Mathieu. Roger in the other part of the draw. I am focused on my part. I won a very important match for me today and I am focused on the next match against Mathieu and playing well. But Mathieu going to be very difficult match.

Q. Was there something with your arm as well that the trainer was looking at?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. I called the physio because after one serve I felt something here. But I told the physio I don't want to take out the medical treatment. So Petzschner must know that, too.

I didn't want to have the treatment because I feel it a little bit better after the game. I feel something after one serve. I said to the umpire, Please call the trainer for the next changeover. I can finish the game playing well. When I finish the game, I feel it well, so I don't need the trainer.

Q. Even the best players are involved in tough battles early on. Is this because it's very hot and it's hard to break serve? Is there any other reason the best players are having trouble?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's because we are playing in a very difficult tournament. We're playing in a Grand Slam, the fastest Grand Slam of the world.

If you play against players when they have very good serve, is very difficult to break, break the serve of these players. After that, if you have two bad points with your serve, the match will be very difficult.

Q. We know you're a big football fan, looking forward to Spain and Portugal. What do you think about England and Germany tomorrow?

RAFAEL NADAL: Close. Going to be close. Going to be very nice match, I think. Disappointing for the World Cup have these very strong teams at the Round of 16. But that's the sport. We will see what's happen. But I going to be in front of the TV.

Q. With all the ways your game depends on your legs, the power you get from your legs, with all these problems with your knees, does that affect you at all on court? Do you think about it?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I was perfect mentally for all the year, no? I think that doesn't affect to my mind. Sometimes in the past, yes, when I don't know exactly what happen. I know right now exactly what happen and what I have to do to pull out this pain.

So I gonna do it after this tournament and try my best on this tournament. I definitely going to have a break to change that I hope for a long time.

Q. The player you played today said there are a lot of players coming up here better than they used to be. They give you a good chase at the moment. Is that what you feel? Are the players that challenge you now at the moment, are they better than they used to be?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. Philipp has very good potential, very good serve, very good forehand, very good slice backhand. He served well all the time, and especially in the difficult moments.

So, no, I think the players are playing similar like always. But on grass, especially everything is more difficult.

Q. Can you clarify about how your arm feels now?

RAFAEL NADAL: The arm is perfect. Work perfect. Perfect. Perfect is perfect.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-26/201006261277586139921.html

MariaV
06-27-2010, 02:29 PM
No. 1 Court
13:00 Ladies' Singles - 4th Round
Kim Clijsters(BEL)[8] vs. Justine Henin(BEL)[17]

Gentlemen's Singles - 4th Round
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[3] vs. Lleyton Hewitt(AUS)[15]

Gentlemen's Singles - 4th Round
Paul-Henri Mathieu(FRA) vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

Hope Kim & Justine and Nole & Lleyton won't take too long before Rafa. :tape:
It's gonna be :bigwave: to Wimbledon this year soon anyway. :sad:

MariaV
06-27-2010, 02:53 PM
An extra long sleep ... and I missed the Queen!

Hi everyone,

Let me start today this post by saying that I only got the questions last night when I was already asleep. That is the reason why there was no blog last night. Sorry for that. I know that I was supposed to do it this morning but I didn't have time today since after I woke up and had my breakfast had to go to practice.

I normally try to sleep more than usual if I am playing in the afternoon or late afternoon. That way the day is not that long and I don't get tired before the match. A question of routine. And because of that routine I missed meeting the Queen Elizabeth today. I would have loved to and they've told me she would be at my match, so I was really looking forward to meeting her at the end of the match. Unfortunately, Her Majesty left and I missed the opportunity. Hopefully another time I will have the honor and chance to do so.

Coming back to my match, I'd said before how difficult is to play here at Wimbledon against great servers. Well, it was a very tough match today and I was really pushed to the limits. Thankfully it went well.

Tomorrow a day off, some practice and then concentration to see Spain play in the Word Cup...

Thanks all
Rafa

Did you see the Isner/Mahut match? Do you think they might play all week? Sia Morris

RN: I saw a lot of it. Clearly not all of it. WHAT AN AMAZING MATCH!!!! I really congratulate both players for what they've done!!!

I am watching the Isner/Mahut match right now, and I am amazed that they are now at 52 games all in the fifth set. Do you think there should be a fifth set tie-break like at the US Open or should the players play it out like we are seeing? Traci

RN: No, no. I prefer it like this. We would have never seen something like this!!! What an effort!!!

Federer said before the tournament that his draw looks more easy than yours. Would you agree? Susanne

RN: I normally agree with Roger... :-)

What do you enjoy the most when playing Davis Cup for your country? Arlene McLean

RN: The fact that I am representing my country and also the fact that we are playing as a team.

Rafa, you clean?? What do you do - like dust, scrub the floors, clean the toilet...? Does your team help out? I guess big muscles help... Yours in astonishment, Emma.

RN: Hahhahaaha. This week a bit of everything... but not much, believe me...

Do you find it hard to get out of the habit of "cleaning the line" with your foot when you change from clay to grass? Sam

RN: That's a very good and funny question. Can't do it here so no habit like that here.

During your match yesterday John McEnroe said you had size 11.5 feet but wear size 10 trainers. Is this true? Why? Doesn’t it hurt? Sam Bastiman

RN: Not really. I have a special shoe size, that's why Nike does them custom fit for me. I am a 10.5 in any case...

What are your thoughts about the controversy with the French World Cup team? JoAnn Chu

RN: Not much, they have to fix it among themselves. It was strange though to see the players not practicing one day. Very strange.

If Spain don't win, I'm backing England

Hi everyone,

I am writing this blog before going to sleep and very happy after seeing Spain qualify for the next round at the World Cup. I have been asked several times about my favorite teams and obviously after Spain i have to say that I like England. Would love to see them do something important if Spain doesn't make it to the final. The reason I have for this apart from the fact that I like the team and that I like the style of British football, I think they deserve also a big win. For what they give to the sport and the time that they haven't won something big, I really would like them to go far in the tournament. But obviously I want first Spain to win.

My day today was kind of quiet. Practice at noon, easy and good practice, watched Portugal and Brazil match while I was getting some stretching from my physio Rafael Maymo, some play station matches with my partner in this tournament Benito (we are killing Maymo and Albert Molina) and then a bit of rest before watching Spain play. So that's a typical day for me here at Wimbledon this year. Lots of tennis and even more football.

Tomorrow another important match for me, with the will to be again in the second week of Wimbledon. We'll see. Nothing easy.

Many thanks.

Rafa

No pasta for me after yesterday's long match

Hi everyone,

Sorry but last night I could not post anything since I got back to my house and we decided to go out for dinner to the city. I had not done it all week so my team was kind of tired of eating always my pasta... So we went almost straight from the end of the work with media etc to my favorite restaurant in London. You have heard many times about it, El Cambio de Tercio. I was so happy for yesterday's win that I just said, OK, let's go wherever you guys want!

So we had a great dinner last night. Now I just woke up and I am going to go and hit a bit. Not much, since yesterday's match was long and I also had the problem on my knee. I want to go and see how it feels today. I am not too worried, but it is there and I need to get the treatment once I finish this tournament. I would love to win it and then go for that treatment. We'll see.

Many thanks

Rafa

NOT TOO WORRIED, eh. :scared: :unsure:

Questions for Rafa: is Uncle Toni always strict?

Dear Rafa, congrats to your tough win against Haase. But I wasn't too nervous during the match, as I knew you were going to win! I saw the video on your site taken when your little cousins were visiting you. They're cute! But I wonder if Uncle Toni is as strict to your cousins as he was with you? You seemed to be the disciplinarian there ;-) I look forward to seeing a whole week of Rafa tennis at Wimbledon next week! Hugs, Natalie

RN: Many thanks. My uncle was kind of tough with me but on the sports education. He is tough, or shall I say strict with his sons but a bit less with his daughter...

Rafa, Do you athletes at Wimbledon act or talk more patriotically than usual because the World Cup is going on? Chris

RN: Some do, but not that much. It is normal. The World Cup is something great and you really support your country so it is kind of... I don't know.

Hola Rafa! Have you thought about joining Twitter as another method of connecting with your fans? Kim, London

RN: No, for the moment I have a lot to do with my Facebook page. Not really interested in Twitter for the moment.

Hi Rafa, Unlike the big server from my country you met in the 2nd round, my serve is the worst part of my play. I know you have been working on your serve a lot, and it has paid off! Can you give me any tips on how to work to improve my own serve? Myra, The Netherlands

RN: Hhahahahahahaha. I haven't seen you so you need to check wit your coach!

Hi Rafa, Thanks for taking the time to do this blog; you are a great champion and role model. Your fans really appreciate it and love to hear about the "real life" during competitions. I am a Mum with two lovely sons. Mums keep all sorts of memorable stuff - school certificates, pictures etc. I am running out of space and they haven't reached 18 yet! You are an outstanding and popular tennis player that the media loves to follow so there are so many pictures and articles about you. Your Mum must want to keep some of those memories. How does she decide what to keep? Does she have help with this task? Where does she keep it all? Hoping to see you bite that trophy at Wimbledon. Debra John, Kent

RN: She keeps a lot of stuff but not everything. I do keep everything that I play with, I mean at least one model. Shoes, shirts, racquets... One day I will have them all exposed.

star
06-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I hope he doesn't keep those hideous shorts that caused my eyeballs to burn.

adee-gee
06-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Rafa, you get enough support at Wimbledon. You don't need to pretend you wanted England to do well :hug:

acionescu
06-28-2010, 09:22 AM
He's just sincere :ras:

-Evita-
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
Rafa defeated Mathieu in three sets :bigclap: Next up Soderling :rocker2:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/23/fullj.d4c95fb22348c0caef8c24ab22a5c4f2/d4c95fb22348c0caef8c24ab22a5c4f2-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ff/fullj.c4cc80f8ff6a98189e671671609769ef/c4cc80f8ff6a98189e671671609769ef-getty-98881610jm031_the_champions.jpg

MariaV
06-29-2010, 07:41 AM
Yes that was lovely from Rafa, hopefully his knee can hold on for a few more days. Söderling got his fair share from Ferrer. :lol: Not that I have any hope of winning in MIT. :o

R. NADAL/P. Mathieu
6-4, 6-2, 6-2

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Is it fair to describe that performance as your best of the tournament so far from your point of view?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't understand.

Q. Was it your best performance in the tournament so far?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today? No, not in my opinion. No, I think I played really well. But I was playing well the last matches too. But the opponent was different characteristics, so for my game, probably was a little bit easier to play, no?
Because I have more rallies from the baseline. The serve was a little bit easier to return than the last two matches. I was playing well from the baseline the last days, but I didn't have the chance to play.

Q. You will play Soderling in the quarterfinal. What's the key to beat him on grass?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, sure, gonna be a really tough match. I think probably is one of the more difficult opponents that you can play on all surfaces today, but especially here. I think he's playing with big confidence, big serve, perfect flat shots and long from the baseline.
So he's playing great. Gonna be very difficult match for me I think. Hopefully for him, too. (Smiling.) :o :D

Q. Did you notice the police escorting a fan out at like the end of second set. I think you were waiting to serve when they were taking him out. Did you notice it at all? :eek:
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't know. I didn't know. Sorry. I know nothing.

Q. Did you have any problems from your knee? If not, what did you do after the last game to make sure it was good for today?
RAFAEL NADAL: I tried my best, no? I take antiinflammatories. I did a lot of treatment with the physio, with the doctor.
Today it was better. I didn't feel pain today, but, you know, you never know. It's there, but wasn't the problem today. Hopefully gonna be fine for the next day, too.

Q. Prior to the match, it was announced that you were fined $2,000. What is your reaction to that?
RAFAEL NADAL: What's that?

Q. After the coaching accusation with your uncle from the last match, you were fined $2,000.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. What are your thoughts about that penalty?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, that's the rules are the rules. I gonna speak with the person that I -- well, I already spoke with the person that I had to spoke. Nothing to say here. :tape: :o

Q. You've watched the World Cup you mentioned before during the week. What are your thoughts about whether there should be a replay rule video used in the World Cup?
RAFAEL NADAL: I completely agree with that. Yeah, was unbelievable the match of -- both matches of yesterday, especially the first one. England against Germany was -- well, first thing is the referee must see that, for sure, because it's half meter inside.
Second thing, if the referee don't see, have to do it, I don't know, you have to put Hawk-Eye on something to see that. All the sports of world have technology, so football must have something soon, especially in this kind of competitions. World Cup is one time every four years, and the second goal of England must -- the goal was fair. After that, the match change completely. Maybe England can be in quarterfinals if that doesn't happen.
So change everything. I think that FIFA must change that, is my opinion.

Q. You did win against Robin Soderling a couple of weeks ago in France. What do you think will be the difference playing here on grass?
RAFAEL NADAL: I said before, I think the match is completely different. Nothing similar to play on grass than on clay. I think his game is good in every surface.
Probably is even more difficult stop him here, because the ball go faster and gonna be very difficult to return and difficult to stop him from the baseline.
But I gonna try. :awww: :)

Q. Yesterday was Sunday. Did you have a chance to relax? What did you do? Did you go into London?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Just practiced?
RAFAEL NADAL: I only practiced 20 minutes, but I watched England, England/Germany. I did treatment in the afternoon with the doctor and with the physio. I watched Argentina/Mexico in the evening. I played a little bit video games and watch a film in bed and that's it.

Q. Those biscuits, are they the Mallorcan biscuits?
RAFAEL NADAL: That is the most important biscuit in Mallorca. That's my favorite. In every tournament I have 100 of these bags. :eek: Tomorrow I gonna give you one. You have to try. (Laughter.) Very good. :lol: What a kind young man you are, bless you! :angel:

Q. Are you at all concerned about your knees for tomorrow's match, given you had to play back-to-back days, today and tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't gonna play tomorrow.

Q. Excuse me. But are you concerned going forward that they're just gonna continue to get sore or sorer?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have the control of my knees. I don't know what's gonna happen, no? I try my best to be ready. I tried my best after the last match to be fit for today. I did well.
Gonna be the same for after tomorrow. We will see what's happen. I am here to try my best even with pain on the knees or without pain of the knees. I gonna try my best in all the conditions.

Q. How has your relationship with Robin changed through the years?
RAFAEL NADAL: Every time I play against him you gonna ask me the same question. But I don't have any problem with Soderling. I had a little bit problem in this tournament few year ago. After that I never had any problem with him. :D :angel:

End of FastScripts

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-28/201006281277759356420.html

adee-gee
06-29-2010, 10:07 AM
I prefered when Rafa hated Soderling :(

MariaV
06-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Adam darling! :kiss:
Soda is a reformed person now. :o ;) Hopefully tired too. :o :)

MariaV
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Maybe Court No. 1 is lucky for Rafa. :tape: :help: :help:

No. 1 Court

13:00 Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[3] vs. Yen-Hsun Lu(TPE)

Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Robin Soderling(SWE)[6] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

VAMOS! :banana: :bolt:

star
06-29-2010, 05:46 PM
Quely Cookies -- Biscuits -- whatever. I wonder how much they pay him for his promotion. Does he have to take them with him into all his pressers? :lol:

Castafiore
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Here's cute video of some of the moments in his presser:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fUfMlTwnyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-fUfMlTwnyU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

+ a video of Rafa (with Xisca):
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_lXpWf1kGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_lXpWf1kGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

(both videos found on vb.com)

Topspin Forehand
06-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Maybe Court No. 1 is lucky for Rafa. :tape: :help: :help:

No. 1 Court

13:00 Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Novak Djokovic(SRB)[3] vs. Yen-Hsun Lu(TPE)

Gentlemen's Singles - Quarterfinals
Robin Soderling(SWE)[6] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

VAMOS! :banana: :bolt:
Well he looked comfortable against Mathieu on that court and the court appears a little more beat up. I think that helps Nadal.

Foxy
06-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Maria, could you please post a link to Rafa's Wimbledon blog. I can't find it anywhere and it seems there is smth wrong with the Times Online site once I try to click on Rafa's page there.
Thanks. :)

MariaV
06-30-2010, 11:49 AM
Maria, could you please post a link to Rafa's Wimbledon blog. I can't find it anywhere and it seems there is smth wrong with the Times Online site once I try to click on Rafa's page there.
Thanks. :)

Times Online requires registering now and I saw that the links don't work for others that's why I didn't post them. :(
And soon they'll be asking money. :o

scoobs
06-30-2010, 11:52 AM
Times has put up a paywall so there's not much point trying.

star
06-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Times Online requires registering now and I saw that the links don't work for others that's why I didn't post them. :(
And soon they'll be asking money. :o

But, they aren't asking for money now. I registered. What do I need to put up?

MariaV
06-30-2010, 01:51 PM
But, they aren't asking for money now. I registered. What do I need to put up?

Uhmmm, what do you mean put up? :o You mean the link? It still won't work for the others.

star
06-30-2010, 02:26 PM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_lXpWf1kGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i_lXpWf1kGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

(both videos found on vb.com)

Such a difference from the "Here comes the Queen" Rogi video.

Rogi needs to perfect his royal wave though. :(

adee-gee
06-30-2010, 05:08 PM
Suck on that Soderling you cheating little prick :sport:

Topspin Forehand
06-30-2010, 05:13 PM
So glad to be wrong on my prediction. Court 1 is lucky for Nadal.

Metis
06-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Nadal-Soderling 3-6 6-3 7-6 6-1 :D

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, wildegirl05

Metis, shawshank, tennizen, Topspin_Forehand: It's a FAIL! :aparty:

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/8d79c15d-fe90-4df1-8693-31f299cd4872.jpg

MariaV
06-30-2010, 05:25 PM
RAFAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :bounce: :banana: :dance: :yippee: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Xristos
06-30-2010, 06:25 PM
Vamoos Rafa! Take the title!

Foxy
06-30-2010, 07:28 PM
Kill them all, Rafa! :worship:

Castafiore
06-30-2010, 07:53 PM
A fun little ball trick during the Söderling match:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UDBuaFoQoQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UDBuaFoQoQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
(as usual, credit to vb.com because I found it there)

born_on_clay
06-30-2010, 08:00 PM
great match :)
just hope knees are ok
Murray next :scared:

adee-gee
06-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Can we close this thread and someone else open a new one? I feel my work here is done :awww: I sort of want Muzza to win but he's got no chance with this thread open :(

acionescu
06-30-2010, 10:17 PM
No way, traitor :mad:

star
06-30-2010, 10:32 PM
Can we close this thread and someone else open a new one? I feel my work here is done :awww: I sort of want Muzza to win but he's got no chance with this thread open :(

Weren't you given permission to open this thread only on the condition that you weren't cheering for Murray? Yes. I'm pretty sure that was it. :(

Castafiore
07-01-2010, 07:46 AM
No, we're sticking with this one, you traditor. :ras:

MariaV
07-01-2010, 08:25 AM
The presser as no-one's posted yet. :p
Wednesday, 30 June 2010

Q. That was some kind of slow start. How do you explain the slow start and the sudden turnaround?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think in the beginning he start playing great, I think. I had 40‑15 in the first game with my serve. I lost that serve. Was a hard start for me, because playing against a big server like Robin is very difficult to come back in the set.

And I think he started playing very well, very long, with no mistakes, lot of winners, serving great. I didn't have a lot of chances in the beginning.

But after the first game of the second set, everything change.

Q. You were upset about the overrule call there. What did the chair umpire say to you? How did he explain that? You seemed to start playing very well after that. You had a run of points. What happened there?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, you know, for the umpire sometimes is not easy to make the right decision. For me today was too important point, because was 30‑All to make this drastic decision. For sure if you asking me if that ball affect me, I said yes. When the line say 'out,' I play the shot like this without.

I mean, was a mistake, but everybody can have a mistake. Yes, after that I played very good point on the breakpoint against. I was little bit lucky to do the break in the first game on his serve in the second set. After, I think I played a great match. :)

Q. You seemed very fired up or angry immediately after that point. Do you think it helped you, the call?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. Was an important moment for me, because if he did the break in the first game of the second, gonna be hard to accept for me.

But anyway, I gonna fight all the match. But I saved that point, and after that change everything. I think I started to play much better. He started to do a few mistakes, because in the beginning he didn't have no one.

I'm very happy. Very difficult and very important win for me. :) :angel:

Q. Serving for the set, he took a medical timeout. Were you surprised by his decision to do that at that moment? What's your feelings?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, the rule says you can do it, so...

Q. Would you say it's appropriate to do it at that time?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's proper? What is this? Is in his hands; he can do it. The rules are the rules. And if he can do it and he didn't have nothing wrong...

For me, the wrong thing is we wait for the physio five minutes. So that's the bad thing. Because in the end, if you stop three minutes, it's okay. But if you stop 10 minutes, it's not okay. That's was the problem for me.

You know, that's all.

Q. How excited are you to be in the semifinals here again and the prospect of playing Andy Murray?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is a dream another time be in the semifinals here. Today was a very important victory for me, I think. Very difficult and very important. I'm very happy how I'm playing, how I arrive to the semifinals.

So I know I gonna have difficult match against Andy in semifinals, but I am ready to try my best and for try for sure to be in this final. Is gonna be difficult, but I am playing well. :)

Q. When did you find out that Berdych had beaten Roger and what was your reaction?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, for sure was a difficult match before, before the match start. You know when you play against these kind of players, like Soderling, like Berdych, they have a very good serve and very powerful shots from the baseline. It's very difficult sometimes to stop these player, no?

Roger did amazing the last seven years here, so someday must happen this. Happen today. Well, sorry for him, and wish him the best of luck for the rest of the season.

Q. Most top players say, I'm just going to play my game. I have my game, and that's what I worry about. But there's a big difference between Soderling and Murray in styles. When you go to play the semifinals, do you have to change a few things in your game?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am happy how I'm playing, so I gonna try to do my game. My game is try to play aggressive. I gonna try to do little bit. Important thing is serve well. So, like every day, every day is the same.

No, I'm sure that this style of Murray and Soderling is completely different. But at the same time, I have to still playing at my best level if I want to have chances to win.

So we will see what's happen. I don't want to change a lot of things. I happy how I'm doing. :) :angel:

Q. I saw your mother and the ladies of your family here today. Have you more family coming now for Friday?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I don't have the chance. I didn't have the chance to speak with my family yet, no? Maybe. I don't know. Maybe my father, but I don't know yet.

Q. How are the courts playing? There's been no rain at all. How are the courts playing?

RAFAEL NADAL: Perfect. :angel:

Q. Perfect?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is dry.

Q. Just your conditions?

RAFAEL NADAL: Lot of clay behind the baseline (smiling.) You can move well, so... Perfect conditions.

Q. When you changed ends at 5‑Love in the first set, the scoreboard showed that Roger Federer was facing match point at the same time. Did that register with you, or do you not pay any attention to that?

Q. And if you did notice it, what did you think at that point, because he could have been out and you were facing a very nasty start?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, I saw that in the scoreboard. Well, doesn't affect on my game, for sure, no? But, yeah, when I am in the changeovers I always watch the rest of the courts, the results. Yeah, I like to do it. :devil:

Q. Did you feel like the improvements in the score line from the second set onwards was a result of Soderling making more mistakes or you changing your game and improving different aspects of it or a combination of the two?

RAFAEL NADAL: Always is the same. When one player plays very well, the other goes down.

Q. Did you try to do something different?

RAFAEL NADAL: I tried to play a little better than I did before. Sure the important thing in the beginning, I didn't have no one free point with my serve. But after that I started to win a little bit more points with my serve.

I starting to playing little bit longer points, feeling little bit better with the forehand, having the control of point more times than in the first set. And that's the key.

If Robin have to play only two shots every point, gonna be easy. But if he must play three, four, five, or six shots to beat me, gonna be little bit more difficult. So that's what I gonna try. Try to be focused on myself and do what I can on the return. :angel:

Q. How are you feeling physically? How is your physical condition?

RAFAEL NADAL: I am fine. After the second and the third round, especially the third round, the match of fourth round and quarterfinals, I didn't have any problem. So that's (knocking on wood.)

Q. Do you think with Roger losing at the quarters at the French Open and here will get him more motivated for the US Open, make it harder for you guys to beat him there?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think is not the right question. That's my opinion, because always you have the same motivation for every Grand Slam, even if you lose or you win the last Grand Slam. And Roger always gonna be difficult opponent in every one, but not because he lose in French and in Wimbledon. That's my opinion. :angel: Such a Fedtard

Q. Can you talk about the first couple sets at the Australian Open against Murray, which were at a very high level, and maybe how he was attacking you and how you tried to respond.

RAFAEL NADAL: I was very happy about my level in that two sets. I lost both, but I was ready to win both, too. I was a break up in both sets, I think. So, no.

Maybe the only thing I had a mistake in that moment was stay a little bit more calm. And that confidence I have now because I won a lot of matches in the last few months. In that moments remains the title for me, but the level was probably similar than now. :) :angel:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-06-30/201006301277922738982.html

adee-gee
07-01-2010, 11:50 AM
Weren't you given permission to open this thread only on the condition that you weren't cheering for Murray? Yes. I'm pretty sure that was it. :(
That was last year :D

I won't be unhappy if Rafa wins. As long as the winner goes on to win the title I can handle it. It'd be huge for Muzza if he could win it though.

Castafiore
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Who said that it only applied last year?

star
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM

I won't be unhappy if Rafa wins. As long as the winner goes on to win the title I can handle it. It'd be huge for Muzza if he could win it though.

Well, then. As long as you "can handle" Nadal winning and not burst into a Rogi :bigcry: moment, I guess that's enough sincerity. :p

JolánGagó
07-01-2010, 12:35 PM
what a disastrous trainwreck of a tourney thread...

MariaV
07-01-2010, 01:05 PM

:hug: Yes either Rafa of Muzza will be fine with me too. :hug:

acionescu
07-01-2010, 01:09 PM
traitors everywhere :mad:

Now, if Rafa wins and then goes and loses in the final to the Evil One, I would be extremely pissed :fiery:

MariaV
07-01-2010, 01:30 PM
JG, don't whine, better contribute! :p
Here the latest blog entries and Q&A for those who care.
Spain pass their test, now it's my turn against Soderling

Hi everyone,

Had a good day today in general. Lot's of expectation at Aorangi park. Clearly it was not for me (only). At 1 pm I was hitting, Roger was there too and Andy Murray who started a bit later but was already warming up. Then when we finished I saw Novak Djokovic and Robin Soderling come to practice. So a lot of expectation there. Media, fans, great atmosphere.

I personally had a great practice with a British Junior. They are very helpful. On this second week they all practice and play so it is great to have them around. I remember those days when I was a junior here. I remember where we use to stay and specially that I didn't like the food so was always eating cookies and chips... not the best to become a great tennis player...

On Wednesday it will be a very difficult and different match with Soderling compared to the final in Roland Garros. I have been asked a lot about it and the reasons why it is different. For those of you who know tennis it is easy to understand what I am saying. For those less familiar to our sport, let me just say that the way Soderling can serve, doesn't allow that much time to return and be able to play. He is a big server and a hard hitter. Very difficult.

But that will be on Wednesday. Now, I just got back to the house I am renting here in Wimbledon after watching Spain's win over Portugal. This is great news for me since I love football and I am a big fan of our national team. Very happy. :D

Many thanks

Rafa

Questions for Rafa: Nutella, my love for cookies - and my naughty cousins!

Hello Rafa, I saw the video with your cousin on facebook, it seems wonderful. Do you play with them often when you are in Mallorca? Do they understand that you are a very famous tennis player or do they only see you like their old cousin?
Kisses from Madrid, Rosi.

RN: Yes I see them all the time. I love being with them, they are a lot of fun. A bit naughty so that makes them funny for me but I guess not that much with my ant... I think they know a bit of what I do, but they see me like the elder cousin in the end.

I know you adore your beloved Balearic Islands, but have you ever thought of holidaying anywhere in Australia like our Ningaloo Reef Archipelago, where I am blessed enough to live. Taryn Ford, Western Australia.

RN: I hear it is beautiful but to be honest I am not too much at home so it is nice to stay there for many reasons.

It's wonderful to see you back on grass in Wimbledon and playing so well, especially in your all whites :) When it comes to food, if you had to choose - sweet or salty? I know your favourite Quely cookies are neither :)
All the best for this week Rafa, xx Nicole.

RN: Salty more than sweet but with the exception of Nutella...

What are your favourite balls? My favourite balls are Slazenger, I hate HEAD ATP balls. Mónika from Hungary

RN: That's a good question. Now they are all pretty similar, The important thing for us is that we play with the same balls for a whole swing. Not many changes.

I was wondering if Nike custom-make some of your clothing, as I particularly like the lilac velour traning top you were wearing last week, but it doesn't appear in your catalogued items. Julie Tingle

RN: Yes, they are taylored but I believe everything is at the shops on different sizes.

In your blog from the French Open you said that you would try to go and see "Love Never Dies", the sequel to "Phantom of the Opera" when you were in London. Have you managed to do that, and if you did, what's the review?
Julie Tingle :spit:

RN: Didn't have the chance during Queens. Clearly during Wimbledon because of the distance, the time, etc. is more difficult. Maybe in NY if they play it there.

You say you take 100 packets of cookies to every tournament. Do you charter a plane for those? And are you worried that you will weigh about 150kgs when you stop playing tennis? Love, Emma :haha:

RN: They actually send me some boxes. Not sure they are 100... No worries about my weight when I stop. I am sure I will stay fit since I am very active! The quely biscuits aren't bad for that.

As you're such a fair person I think you'd be a very good umpire (much better than that one that warned you the other day!) so if you could be an umpire for the day, who's match would you like to umpire and why?
Besos y abrazos, Juliette Westbrook-Finch

RN: Not possible since I would like to be playing not umpiring. But good question anyay.

Questions for Rafa: I feel sorry for those players who cheat

Hello Rafa, congrats to your win on Saturday and I really hope that your fine now. Now that England is out of the World Cup, you could cheer for Brazil. What do you think? Love, Mayara - Brazil

RN: I like the Brazilian team but I am going to be diplomatic here and say that I only want Spain to win at this point...

One of the most noticeable things about you is the importance you attach to fair play and correct behaviour, so what do you think when you see sportsmen cheating or behaving badly? Vamos campeon! I saw you on Centre Court on Saturday and you are incredible!! Love, Emma

RN: I think that I have proven during all these years how important is to be fair in and off the court. I just couldn't cheat, not the way I have been brought up so I am sorry for those who cheat and I also feel we have to be strong as a sport against those who cheat.

Do you ever imagine what it would be like to play tennis 40 years ago? Do you think you would be able to be a great player with a wooden racket, and would you have enjoyed travelling without your coaching team? Claire

RN: Many thanks. I suppose there are also many other factors that make it different and clearly not something we want to do. Imagine also travelling. Now it is easy even to get to Australia. In those days it must have taken them for ages to get there! Nowadays we lose and we can go home easily and quickly!

I grew up watching Borg, Agassi and Enberg winning on grass by making hardly any aces. Do you think big servers are ruining the beauty of the grass game which should consists of passing, volleys and lobs and occasionally some aces? Sometimes I feel big servers are playing baseball instead of tennis. Thanks, Shirlee, New York City

RN: Clearly the big servers have an advantage here on grass but that's the way it is.

What I wanted to ask please is: what gives you the most satisfaction in your tennis career to date, regaining the world number one ranking this year or simply playing the best tennis you can as consistently as possible? You really are a credit to tennis, on and off-court! Amanda, West London

RN: Playing the best tennis and specially winning tournaments, big tournaments like Wimbledon gets you to that world ranking...

Congratulations on your best match yet at Wimbledon. At changeover, doesn't it bother you having a huge camera lens filming you during your private moments of thought and concentration, or are you able to just forget that they are there? It just seems so intrusive. ˇBona sort! Claudia, Penyes Rotjes, Mallorca

RN: I suppose we have gotten used to it. No worries. :D :angel:

Congratulations on your commanding performance! When you have a day off during a grand slam second week, when do you practise and for how long? A die-hard fan, Abbie

RN: I am hitting today for an hour. But it also depends on how the previous match went. I feel I need that good hour of practice today.

You played great against Mathieu, but is it going be more difficult against Soderling? Axčle

RN: They are different matches. Mathieu is a very good and talented player. I am sure that Soderling's match will be, as always, very difficult.

Do you get annoyed with fans who ask for your autograph several times, or do you just accept it? Kim, London

RN: I try to be as nice as possible with everyone and try to sign as much autographs as possible. It is true that I see many times the same person asking for autographs and that's kind of unfair for the other fans... So I sign to the others in that case.... :angel: :worship:

A visit from my family, now bring on Andy!

Hi all,

Apologies but I am writing a very short blog today. I will answer though all the questions.

I just got back from dinner and today we went back to London, to El Cambio again for some dinner. Since my mother, sister and some other people have come we couldn't stay home... too small.

I am very happy to be back playing the semis here at Wimbledon. Something I was really looking forward to. It is exciting and the match against Murray I am sure will be great. Sure too that it will be very difficult. We can talk more about it tomorrow.

Thanks

Rafa

Questions for Rafa: would you like a vuvuzela?

Congratulations on your fine win over Soderling, especially when he called for the trainer just as you were going to serve for the set. Were you surprised when the umpire allowed it? Shani Hastings

RN: No, not at all. It is within the rules so no problem. I do think that the trainer should be closer to the courts so that it doesn't take so much time to arrive.

During your game against Sodering, the cameras zoomed in on a scar on your back whilst you were changing your shirt. How did you get this scar as it looked like quite a painful one! Elizabeth, London

RN: It was a medical mistake when I was young. Instead of receiving some medicine a doctor poured the wrong treatment. V difficult to explain in English.

How are you handling the expectation everyone has on you at the moment? Goran, Croatia

RN: I suppose I am used to it. Maybe Andy has more pressure than me here for the next match.

My 13-year-old son is fanatical about his tennis and you’re his idol! He competes a lot and like all sportsmen he loves to win. However when he loses he’s so down and angry with himself (sometimes for days!) and there is nothing that I can say to help. What do you suggest? Lisa

RN: He has to enjoy what he does and learn from defeats (and from wins). Tennis in the end is only a game. The word game says it all!
Would you ever consider playing World Team Tennis here in the US after you retire? Stanford

RN: Not for the moment

Do you or would you like to own a vuvuzela? JoAnn

RN: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOO :-) :spit: :rolls:

Several years ago Roger got his 'RF' logo. Now you've got your logo which is pretty much like horns of a bull. How do you like it? And did you participate in the design of it? Marjorie, Shanghai

RN: I like it. I have been using it on my shoes for some time. Now I know it is more used and sold by Nike. Good stuff!

Is competing in the 2012 London Olympics a big goal of yours? Kim

RN: It is definitely something I will love to do!

Metis
07-01-2010, 01:32 PM

nice moment with the kiss :awww:

the shrieking fans :help:

:speakles:

High treason! :mad:

JolánGagó
07-01-2010, 02:28 PM
JG, don't whine, better contribute! :p
Here the latest blog entries and Q&A for those who care.

Im very grateful for your contribution, thank you very much :hug: if it weren't for your stuff the thread would've been a total disaster.

adee-gee
07-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Someone sounds bitter Gago. You know where you can go :D

Rafa's been getting better with every match, hope he continues it for the final :yeah:

born_on_clay
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
fuck me :D Rafa is in the FINAL
Vamos Rafa, please made the history once more you monster :devil:

Metis
07-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Nadal-Murray 6-4 7-6 6-4 :dance:

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, wildegirl05

acionescu, Betty, born_on_clay, JolanGago, Minn, Xristos: and they rode away in the sunset...

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/25/d0a64825-8aa1-4b8f-9552-41bb248c8a46.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/3680353280)

born_on_clay
07-02-2010, 06:05 PM
I have been never happier to lose 2000 points

Foxy
07-02-2010, 07:01 PM
I have been never happier to lose 2000 points

Looks like I will do CYGS in MIT this year! Unbelievable!
Great job, you monster! Eat Berdych alive!!! :devil:

MariaV
07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Oh boy, it's going to be so tough on Sunday. One last effort from Rafa before holidays. :scared: :unsure:
But I wouldn't be devastated should Berdych win, it would mean he had deserved it. He's been playing so well lately, and beating (injured or not) Federer is still great! :hatoff:

MariaV
07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
The presser transcript. I hope the journos won't try to stir things up and bring up the Madrid contorversy with Berdych or anything before the final. :rolleyes:

R Nadal - 2 July 2010

Q. Looked a little like 2008 again.

RAFAEL NADAL: I never like the comparations. No, every year is completely different. For me was amazing day, very important victory for me, one of the more difficult victories of my career because the opponent was playing well and I need really to play my best tennis to try to win.

I think, yeah, I am very happy. Today is very important day for me.

Q. Because of all of what you had to go through last year with the injuries, is it even more satisfying now that you're back here?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that's past. But, sure, I said in Monte‑Carlo, Rome, Madrid, Roland Garros, sure, when you had tough moments and wasn't an easy year last year ‑ especially the second half of the year ‑ when you came back and when you still playing another time at your best, for sure I feel I playing at my best since the start of this season, since 2010 when I start.

But I didn't win a tournament since 11 months, and after I started to win in Monte‑Carlo. So for sure that's makes more special, because I worked a lot to be back playing my best tennis. I did, so that's very important personal satisfaction, no? Probably is when you have tough moments and you are another time are in the top, yeah, is more special.

Q. Does 2008 seem like a long time ago when you were here raising the trophy as the champion, or does it seem like yesterday to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Two years. Well, the life is go fast. Since these two year a lot of things happen to my life. Is not very far, but at the same time I have two years with different things.

Q. You were behind 4‑2 in the last set and you weren't playing very well then. Suddenly you win the rest of the games as you became Rafael Nadal again. Did you have to wake up?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. I felt a little bit tired after the second, after the second tiebreak. Was a lot of tension in that tiebreak in the last games of the second set.

When I started the third I lost a little bit my concentration and I felt little bit down. But that's happen at only one game. After that game, after the first game. But, you know, in grass, one break is almost the set.

After that game I felt another time well. But Andy served well and I didn't have lots of chances on the return. But when I had the chance, I did. So that was the most important thing of the match. I think of all important moments, just one double‑fault in the 5‑All in the tiebreak. But for the rest of the important moments, I played very well today.

Q. It will go down as a straight‑sets victory today, but how well did Andy Murray play?

RAFAEL NADAL: Andy's amazing player, so I don't know how well he played. You can answer him.

But when I play against him I always see the match very, very difficult, because he makes the very difficult things very easy. So he has a good serve, and the movements are unbelievable from the baseline, no?

He looks like he's always at the way that you're gonna play, so he's very difficult. For that reason I think it's one of the biggest victories in my career today.

Q. Was it fun meeting Beckham?

Q. Did you talk a little soccer?

RAFAEL NADAL: I met him now just five minutes. Well, I know him from Madrid few years ago. And, sure, always is special meet with great sportsman like David.

At the same time, he's a big star outside of the stadium. But for me, what I admire a lot of him is when he's on the stadium, he fight like the best of them, more than the rest.

Q. Can you compare meeting the Queen of England and the King of British football?

RAFAEL NADAL: C'mon, guys. Sorry. I answer that few days ago. I explain what happened in that day. For me was disappointing didn't meet the Queen, for sure. But I have lot of respect for this tournament, and I have my routines on that day. Probably if I change the routines, I am not here today.

Q. Was it hard to recover from the double‑fault mentally?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, because I played a great point next point. But if Andy makes the serve and give me a set point was the set, so was important mistake. But I was lucky Andy missed the first serve, and later I had a chance to play the point from the baseline and I did well.

Q. What about Andy, you said to him after the match that he could win a major.

RAFAEL NADAL: I wished him best of luck for the rest of the season, and sorry for today. I know it was an important match for him I think because he play at home, and this is a chance for him to win probably the most important title for him win here at home in Wimbledon.

Just I felt sorry for him because he's a very nice person, very good person. I am sure he gonna win a Grand Slam very soon, because when you have final in US Open, final in Australia, semifinals here this year and the last year, you are there all the time. So one day you win. I am sure he gonna win. He deserve to win.

Q. How well aware are you that he's such a big fan of yours? He kept talking about you're his favorite player to watch.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, just can say thanks. He don't need to admire a lot of things of me because he's too good to admire me.

Q. Do you remember where you were the first Sunday of July last year? Did you watch the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: I watched at home, yeah, on the sofa. :lol:

Q. What are the recollections you have from that day? What else do you remember about the final last year, not being there?

RAFAEL NADAL: Just enjoying beautiful match. Was a very emotional match. I liked the tennis, so I enjoyed the match. I wasn't ready to be here, so my mind wasn't here.

Q. In view of Andy's skill, were you surprised that you were able to close this out in just three sets?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. When I came to the match I was with the focus. I know how tough gonna be the match. I never thought win in three sets.

But at the same time, I never thought win in three sets, win in four, win in five, or lose in three or lose in four. I just go on court and try to play my best tennis point by point. That's my style. I know I just need try play my best tennis. Only like this I going to have chances.

Q. Looking back now, does it surprise you you were able to complete this match so quickly?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. But he had few chances. This match is decides ‑‑ anyway, if was in three sets, this match is decide in very small things. If Andy makes this point and win the second set, maybe we are there. So everything can change in just one point.

Q. During the tournament we have found out from other players that they have been injured going into games. We found out after the game. Do you go into Sunday's final a hundred percent fit? Your knees are ready to go?

RAFAEL NADAL: I hope so. I don't know. I think I didn't have any problem for the last three matches. But the pain in the second and especially in the third match is not forgot. Can be there and can't be there in one moment, and I don't have the control of this.

But I am still working every day to try to be healthy like I was the last three matches. But this pain sometimes appears there, and is there. I don't know when it start and when it stop.

Q. Did you have a chance to watch your opponent in the finals?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I watched almost all the semifinal.

Q. What do you think about Tomas Berdych?

RAFAEL NADAL: Amazing. He did amazing tournament. I think he played very good match against Federer; very good match today against Djokovic. He save difficult match against Brands. Yeah, he's the best of his draw, so for that reason he's in the final. No one opponent can be more difficult than Tomas to play this final.

Q. Your feelings about the matchup against Berdych in this particular match on grass, is there a style that you're expecting to see from him or what?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, Tomas is a very aggressive player, very good serve, very good flat shots from the baseline. So gonna be very, very difficult. Very difficult match. Is very difficult to stop him when he's playing well, and he's playing really well. So gonna be very difficult to play against him.

Q. If you have to give a technical explanation why you won today, do you think it's your forehand that was the big difference? Your forehand kills the point while Murray is a very good counterattacker, but it doesn't have the same power when you slow down the ball and you slice your backhand.

RAFAEL NADAL: When you win these matches, is always the same thing: is play well and the mental thing. Mental part is decisive, no? If we talk about the technique, I served well some moments. Most of the time my serve works well.

And, sure, my feeling with the forehand was very good during all the tournament, yeah. Forehand makes the difference.

Q. We've had three classic finals in a row here. Do you expect to give us a fourth one Sunday?

RAFAEL NADAL: Ah, three five sets? Yeah, we had 2007. I don't know. Sure, will be very difficult match. Will be very difficult match for me, and hopefully for him, too (smiling). I don't know. :D :angel:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-07-02/201007021278097192407.html

Foxy
07-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Just made a little calculation if someone is interested. Berdych played 18 min more tennis than Rafa during this fortnight.

Topspin Forehand
07-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Just made a little calculation if someone is interested. Berdych played 18 min more tennis than Rafa during this fortnight.
Nadal match was much more intense though. I think Nadal will be a little tired for the final.

rafa_maniac
07-03-2010, 01:31 AM
Won't be devestated if Berdych wins, he's a nice guy with a great game and it's always nice to see a new Slam champ, but boy would it be exciting if Rafa can do an 08 all over again. :D

Topspin Forehand
07-03-2010, 02:03 AM
Won't be devestated if Berdych wins, he's a nice guy with a great game and it's always nice to see a new Slam champ, but boy would it be exciting if Rafa can do an 08 all over again. :D
Not too sure about that. I really want Rafa to win Wimbledon. Though I got nothing against Berdych. It's just so important for Rafa to win here.

Bibberz
07-03-2010, 06:46 AM
"Muzza's time will come"? Dogshit title.

Dogshit post.

It will basically always be objectively huger for Muzza to beat Rafa in a slam because he comes from a slam-deprived country and he will always have fewer slams than Rafa.

There's a lot to like about Muzza and all, but...

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs024.snc3/11141_502668418490_218900011_22369_5927135_n.jpg

When exactly are you going to root for Rafa over Muzza? After Muzza gets one slam? Two? Four? In any case, I won't hold my breath.

what a disastrous trainwreck of a tourney thread...

Well, not quite...

Im very grateful for your contribution, thank you very much :hug: if it weren't for your stuff the thread would've been a total disaster.

...there it is! :yeah:

Hilde and Maria are--as ever--:worship::worship::worship:.

Someone sounds bitter Gago. You know where you can go :D

1/2 your posts in this thread are about how awesome your threadstarting abilities are, 1/4 are about Muzza (:hearts: :drool:), and about 1/4 are about Rafa.

If threadstarting means anything, then someone who actually, you know, wants Rafa to win the tournament should start the thread. That should be a pretty big fucking criterion, no? Say whatever you want about JG, but at least he always pulls for Rafa. :shrug: It gives me no pleasure to say this, but I can see no reason why you'd be a better or more fitting Rafa Forum tournament threadstarter than JG at this point.

Of course, we know that threadstarting doesn't really mean anything. :p Even Jordan started a tournament thread--and it was a bit charming. :D

If I seem bitter here, it's because I hold MTF's most legendary and beloved Rafatard (no sarcasm here :hug:) to a higher standard than other threadstarters. Watching you openly exhort Muzza here is tragic. :tears:

adee-gee
07-03-2010, 09:13 AM
When exactly are you going to root for Rafa over Muzza? After Muzza gets one slam? Two? Four? In any case, I won't hold my breath.
Certainly not at Wimbledon. But I would at RG or the US Open. Dunno about the Aussie Open, if Murray still hadn't won a slam then I'd root for him.
1/2 your posts in this thread are about how awesome your threadstarting abilities are
Understandably so.
1/4 are about Muzza (:hearts: :drool:)
The only time I mentioned Muzza was my joke post about closing the thread.
and about 1/4 are about Rafa.
Wrong.
If threadstarting means anything, then someone who actually, you know, wants Rafa to win the tournament should start the thread. That should be a pretty big fucking criterion, no? Say whatever you want about JG, but at least he always pulls for Rafa. :shrug: It gives me no pleasure to say this, but I can see no reason why you'd be a better or more fitting Rafa Forum tournament threadstarter than JG at this point.
Harsh :sad:
Of course, we know that threadstarting doesn't really mean anything. :p Even Jordan started a tournament thread--and it was a bit charming. :D
This hurts more than anything you've said :bibcry:
If I seem bitter here, it's because I hold MTF's most legendary and beloved Rafatard (no sarcasm here :hug:) to a higher standard than other threadstarters. Watching you openly exhort Muzza here is tragic. :tears:
:lol: I'm sorry, I will take the criticism on the chin and hope to come back a better thread starter :rocker2:

Bibberz
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
:lol: I'm sorry, I will take the criticism on the chin and hope to come back a better thread starter :rocker2:

:D :hug:

Castafiore
07-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Match summary (although, I don't know if the word "summary" is appropriate since it's focussing more on Rafa)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2IAmU7TLNY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-2IAmU7TLNY&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
I obviously don't understand a word of what the commentator is saying but he's quite entertaining to listen to nontheless.

-
Here's a link to an interview on The Tennis Channel (taped before the SF) with Bill Macatee and Martina Navratilova.
Tennis Channel - Rafa Interview on June 30 (http://www.tennischannel.com/video/index.aspx#04dd586f-a354-46db-96dd-403420ffaba1)

-Evita-
07-03-2010, 11:27 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/65/fullj.f3697739297ab64de086026b881ecc01/f3697739297ab64de086026b881ecc01-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ee/fullj.038c23bc8f9b467a4eca716d82566848/038c23bc8f9b467a4eca716d82566848-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a8/fullj.3548d8dd129f9c928cb9afadf8cbb0f7/3548d8dd129f9c928cb9afadf8cbb0f7-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/bd/fullj.33591ed94054fcf7f2f3e15ca5852fc5/33591ed94054fcf7f2f3e15ca5852fc5-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/d7/fullj.f97cafdd021e80561daf7277b4f70505/f97cafdd021e80561daf7277b4f70505-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/47/fullj.044de363b542e4b9313ed9419fad3029/044de363b542e4b9313ed9419fad3029-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/7d/fullj.69848d719296c1b1e83036d540af9a46/69848d719296c1b1e83036d540af9a46-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f5/fullj.4cfe404de0544f9a805bb27a502ced3a/4cfe404de0544f9a805bb27a502ced3a-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

star
07-03-2010, 01:13 PM
Match summary (although, I don't know if the word "summary" is appropriate since it's focussing more on Rafa)

:lol: So, Murray didn't win a point the entire match? :awww:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f5/fullj.4cfe404de0544f9a805bb27a502ced3a/4cfe404de0544f9a805bb27a502ced3a-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

Beautiful. :inlove: It's everything I adore about him. :)

Thanks. :hatoff:

Castafiore
07-03-2010, 02:30 PM
:lol: So, Murray didn't win a point the entire match? :awww:
:lol: Like I said, "summary" wasn't the best word for it.

-

They showed that moment at the net in slow motion on the BBC. :awww:

star
07-03-2010, 02:42 PM
:lol: Like I said, "summary" wasn't the best word for it.

-

They showed that moment at the net in slow motion on the BBC. :awww:

I liked the closeup of the ball coming slowly down and being struck and deformed. Nice. It was toward the end of the video.

All right, I know JMac is the biggest RafaTard right after Murray, but JMac was so complimentary of Rafa's volleys. He said "He's a great volleyer. Not a good volleyer. A great volleyer." Also he kept drooling over Rafa's footwork. Again and again he directed everyone to watch and praised him for his balance. He said, "He makes it look easy, but, believe me, it is not easy."

acionescu
07-03-2010, 06:37 PM
To the thread starter: too little, too late :rolleyes:

l_mac
07-03-2010, 09:53 PM
1/2 your posts in this thread are about how awesome your threadstarting abilities are, 1/4 are about Muzza (:hearts: :drool:), and about 1/4 are about Rafa.

:sad:

Adam :sad:

Still. I'd be hoping Adam starts every Slam thread. :rocker2:

l_mac
07-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Rafa's blog entry:

Thank you, Wimbledon...and sorry

Hi everyone and good morning,

The first I want to say is to thank the crowds here in Wimbledon. I've always said that I love playing here and one big part of that is for the great respect and great appreciation that i feel here from the public. I was asked many times before yesterday's match in particular by the Spanish Media about the crowd and if I thought they would be fair. Well, they were great. What a nice atmosphere there was on centre court yesterday. Obviously most of the crowds wanted Andy to win, that's normal, but I have never seen so much respect for the game and for both players in my life! I love it here. I was lucky yesterday to be the winner and I will always remember that ovation at the end!

So in one hand thanks and on the other hand sorry for seeing Andy lose. He is a great player, a very talented one, the best of the best and he will win undoubtedly a grand slam very, very soon. You should all be very proud of him since he is also a very nice guy. Me and my team have a great relationship with them all. They are really nice people so I really wish him all the best.

And today is another big day but this time with football. Two big matches and after my practice I am definitely watching both. First Argentina v Germany and then our big match Spain v Paraguay. So not much for me to say... Practice at 12.30, some media work after that, lunch at the house with my team and family and football. That will be my day previous to the final...simples, easy and hopefully enjoyable.

Thanks again for all the support!

Rafa

:hearts:

JolánGagó
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
Thank you, Wimbledon...and sorry

Hi everyone and good morning,

The first I want to say is to thank the crowds here in Wimbledon. I've always said that I love playing here and one big part of that is for the great respect and great appreciation that i feel here from the public. I was asked many times before yesterday's match in particular by the Spanish Media about the crowd and if I thought they would be fair. Well, they were great. What a nice atmosphere there was on centre court yesterday. Obviously most of the crowds wanted Andy to win, that's normal, but I have never seen so much respect for the game and for both players in my life! I love it here. I was lucky yesterday to be the winner and I will always remember that ovation at the end!

So in one hand thanks and on the other hand sorry for seeing Andy lose. He is a great player, a very talented one, the best of the best and he will win undoubtedly a grand slam very, very soon. You should all be very proud of him since he is also a very nice guy. Me and my team have a great relationship with them all. They are really nice people so I really wish him all the best.

And today is another big day but this time with football. Two big matches and after my practice I am definitely watching both. First Argentina v Germany and then our big match Spain v Paraguay. So not much for me to say... Practice at 12.30, some media work after that, lunch at the house with my team and family and football. That will be my day previous to the final...simples, easy and hopefully enjoyable.

Thanks again for all the support!

Rafa

OMG that's so utterly lovely :hearts: :inlove:

Bibberz
07-03-2010, 10:20 PM
From ESPN's Youtube channel:

cs206eeQGLo

655UDHYODLI

uD02CLpdqec

JolánGagó
07-03-2010, 10:41 PM
not available :sad:

Bibberz
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
not available :sad:

Dammit. :mad:

I just tried watching the embedded clips and they all say, "Embedding disabled by request. Watch on YouTube."

If you click on the "Watch on YouTube" links, the videos will open up in another tab. Unfortunately, you'll have to sit through a 15 second commercial for each video.

Sorry about that. :(

star
07-03-2010, 11:14 PM
The commercial wasn't on the last one. :)

Thanks!

JolánGagó
07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
can't see them, thanx anyway :hatoff:

rafa_maniac
07-04-2010, 03:11 AM
What a lovely blog.

Not long to go now, here's hoping I pull off the channel Slam in MIT :rocker:

adee-gee
07-04-2010, 03:47 PM
Champiooooooooooooooooon :rocker2:

Rafa :worship:

Foxy
07-04-2010, 04:04 PM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/509/rafanadaltitlescollage.png (http://img341.imageshack.us/i/rafanadaltitlescollage.png/)

How to add my collage to my signature?

rafa_maniac
07-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Foxy that's an awesome graph! How about some locations on the MS pics tho?

Metis
07-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Nadal-Berdych 6-3 7-5 6-4 :banana:

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
F - nashty, wildegirl05

nashty, wildegirl05: Don't cry :awww: everything will be OK! :hug:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/16/916ba2e2-9541-49c8-9cba-8bc533fe3a81.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/3642918656)

-Evita-, Foxy, MariaV, rafa_maniac, Snoo Foo: the lucky few who won 2000 points :aparty:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/6/22/530c3afa-6ee8-4f71-9ae2-178f7bf30fbd.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/3667703040)

adee-gee
07-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Forward roll :spit: :cuckoo:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/64/fullj.964cdfc45ce590bdb06c5923d08f5184/964cdfc45ce590bdb06c5923d08f5184-getty-98836924th256_the_champions.jpg

adee-gee
07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/b7/fullj.7f151be5166523fa65ca793eae181ede/7f151be5166523fa65ca793eae181ede-getty-98836924th243_the_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/ac/fullj.7a901195b89c146ba521aff0a792c490/7a901195b89c146ba521aff0a792c490-getty-98836924th244_the_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f8/fullj.6cd12fb42e2e0fb36842207b6dfb7376/6cd12fb42e2e0fb36842207b6dfb7376-getty-98836924th239_the_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/71/fullj.338bd1b5efd502ab835cbf23264e74b0/338bd1b5efd502ab835cbf23264e74b0-getty-98836924th234_the_champions.jpg

adee-gee
07-04-2010, 04:31 PM
These are amazing photos :worship:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/fc/fullj.fed6034a9b6b9f90a0e599a4cd7f712e/fed6034a9b6b9f90a0e599a4cd7f712e-getty-98836924th220_the_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/32/fullj.84b58a87f3d88be5c64735666b3d8c23/84b58a87f3d88be5c64735666b3d8c23-getty-98836924th225_the_champions.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/dd/fullj.8059e4397c0f8fd97e8063129549ae48/8059e4397c0f8fd97e8063129549ae48-getty-tennis-gbr-wimbledon.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/68/fullj.60d865a9c622c506c2e774f55e40ed05/60d865a9c622c506c2e774f55e40ed05-getty-98836924th202_the_champions.jpg

star
07-04-2010, 04:45 PM
Thank you, Adam, for the Wimbledon win. :worship:

:tears: Even if you had to be like Abraham and lead your Murray to the sacrificial altar.

rafa_maniac
07-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Aww trophy pics, can't believe he's done it again :awww:

HarryMan
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Just had to stop by to congratulate Nadal and all of his fans here. What a champion Nadal is. Alongside Federer, another true gem of this era.:)

Topspin Forehand
07-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Vamos Rafa. I knew he would win the final. The Murray match was the real final imo.

07-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Rafa The Champion of Wimbledon :worship: Now I just wish he could win the U.S. Open :angel: But those hard courts are so bad on his body :sad: And those pictures were indeed WONDERFUL :inlove:

born_on_clay
07-04-2010, 08:55 PM
awesome pictures :D
great fortnight :bowdown:

Rafa, my, sorry our hero proves once again his greatness

acionescu
07-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Adam, so nice to see those pics next to your sig :D

Adam = thread starter GOAT :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

Ariel
07-04-2010, 09:28 PM
So very very happy HE won. Rafa is like no other out there. An amazing but not surprising efficient performance showing just how far ahead he is from the other players on tour. What a satisfying outcome for all of us here. Congratulations Rafa on #8. I'll see you hopefully in Toronto and at the US Open.

Mimi
07-05-2010, 01:06 AM
by the way, rafa's winning wimby thread only has 240 replies while when he lost, we have more than 500 ....
no matter how Rafa's blind haters try hard to put down his success, deep down inside they know Rafa could not win 2 wimby titles just by luck, cheating and the help of slow grass. He won the title simply because he has the strongest mental toughness of the tour and is better than the rest. He lets his blind haters cry.

:lol::bigclap::woohoo::haha::bowdown::bigwave::yip pee::nerner::inlove::singer::bdaycake::aparty::rol ls::music::rocker2::yippee::aplot::smoke::couple:: rolls::apumpkin::dog::banana:

Mimi
07-05-2010, 04:39 AM
Just had to stop by to congratulate Nadal and all of his fans here. What a champion Nadal is. Alongside Federer, another true gem of this era.:)

thank you so much HarryMan. As I have always said, you are a true tennis fans and a very nice gentleman :hug::smooch: thank you.

Mimi
07-05-2010, 04:55 AM
forgot to thank Adam, king of rafa's winning threads:worship::worship:

MariaV
07-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Adam will start all the tournament threads from now on! :lol: :rocker:

R. Nadal - 4 July 2010

Sunday, 4 July 2010

Q. Pau Gasol wanted me to say hola to you. Congratulations. Can you compare this to what he did, back‑to‑back Lakers championships and your own as well, two straight here at Wimbledon for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Thanks a lot. Everything is difficult, and very difficult compare, two different sports, no? But I am in contact with him all the time. For sure to have unbelievable sportsman like Pau inside the court, inside the court and outside the court is very, very good for our country.

Q. Is it even more special for you to come back and win it a second time?

RAFAEL NADAL: Every one is really special, no? Is difficult to say this one is more special. The other one was more dramatic, the way to win. So first title is always very, very special.

And for sure after not easy year for me. Be back on my favorite tournament of the world here and play well another time, and not only play well, so finish with the trophy is amazing for me.

Just can say thank you very much all the organization, all the crowd, because when I am on the court what they make me feel is unbelievable.

Q. How does it feel to be so popular with the crowd here at Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: You know, probably is the best crowd of the world, no? More respect. They have a lot of respect for every player, I think.

If I speak about myself, was always amazing with me, the crowd, especially yesterday or two days ago when I played against Andy Murray, a British player. For sure the crowd support him, but the same time was supporting me a lot, no? That's unbelievable. Just can say thank you very much. :angel: :D :D

Q. Did you expect a different or tougher match from him?

RAFAEL NADAL: I cannot say the same because I don't expect nothing before the match. I expect play my best in every point and try to fight every point like the last. I don't think if I gonna have a very difficult match, I gonna lose, I gonna win. I don't think about this.

I just think about try to go on court and try to fight every point and play point by point. Not thinking any more of the next point.

Q. You had a lot of support from home, your girlfriend, parents, people from your club. Is that important to you?

RAFAEL NADAL: I have all the family, my team here, so, sure, is nice to have the friends here. Is always nice have your people around you.

Q. How have you changed your game to become so comfortable on grass where you now have two Wimbledon championships?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. The main thing I think is if you want to play well, you gonna find a way. So if you really want to play well in one surface and you are a good player, I think in the end you gonna find a way.

And play for me on grass always was my dream, and play here for me was all my life a big goal for me. So I think I have very good thing to play here on grass is the movement. I move well on this court, and that's very important part of the game.

Sure, later my serve always was improving a little bit. Is important play more aggressive than the rest of the surfaces, no?

But, sure, I tell you, the main thing is really want to improve in every surface. On grass is the main thing.

Q. How hungry are you regarding winning the US Open? How important is it for you to win the US Open, as well?

RAFAEL NADAL: Right now I'm very happy to win Wimbledon. Yeah (smiling). We gonna think about US Open in one month. Right now we just relax and enjoy for me this amazing season.
Was very difficult for me to be back at my best. I did, so is very important and emotional moment for me. I want to enjoy that. For sure, keep working to try to be in the US Open finally ready to try to win. But for sure US Open gonna be one of my goals for rest of my career.

But right now is enjoy the beach, fishing, golf, friends, party, and Mallorca. :cool: :rocker:

Q. You're known for playing all the points with great intensity and focus. It seems on the critical points, like today at the breakpoints, you really focused, you lift your game. Can you talk about what you do on the big points.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, today I was a little bit more nervous than usual. I was a little bit lucky on few moments with the breakpoints. I had two good forehands, and later I have a rally with the slice backhand. So he finish missing the backhand to the net.

So I don't know. I just try my best in every moment, every practice, every point. Important thing is be there all the time. If you are there all the time, you are have more chances to save the breakpoints.

Q. You talked before about the importance of the movement. Even if you don't like to speak normally about injuries, you still run like a rabbit or a jaguar, it depends what kind of animal you think. How do you explain it? You talk about knees, this and that. Nobody is capable to run like you.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I don't have any problem today. I didn't have any problem today, and for the last four matches I didn't have any problem. So that's all. Without healthy is impossible to be where I am today. :D

Q. Is there a special practice you do to be quicker than somebody else, to react?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. I think all my life I practiced with my high hundred percent of intensity in every ball in the practice.

So when I have only controls ‑‑ normally I never have controls, normal controls. I play every control like a point.

That's why I think today I am faster, no? Probably now I'm not practicing with the same intensity like when I was a kid. When I was a kid, I practiced, believe me, like crazy.

Q. Did you expect this kind of return?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. For sure, no. I gonna say another time the same. I go day by day, and I wake up every morning with the illusion to practice and to improve, with the allusion to play well another time.

So last seven months or six months of 2009 season I wasn't ready to play at this level. I was ready to fight, but not to play like I am doing now.

The positive thing in that seven months is I didn't lose in first round, second round, no? I wasn't ready to win, but I was there all the time, semifinals, quarterfinals, one time one final in Shanghai. So without playing well, I had not bad results. So that's very important for the confidence.

And when I finish the season 2009 and I went to Mallorca and I start to practice, well, you see the difference. If you play semifinals and quarterfinals, you see everything a little bit more easier, because without play well I was there.

So just keep working, be ready to work hard to be ready for 2010, and if I improve, I gonna have the chance another time to win.

Q. Today Lorenzo won in motorcycle. Spain is in the semifinal of the World Cup. You won here. What is so special in Spanish athletes? If Spain reaches the final, will you go there to see it?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. For the last two years we had amazing success on very important sports. So maybe is a little bit lucky, because is impossible to have one No. 1 like Pau Gasol, all the unbelievable players of the basketball in Spain.

Q. And Lorenzo?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, Lorenzo, Pedrosa, Contador. For sure, we won the Europa Cup with the football, and right now we are in semifinals in the World Cup. So we are in probably the best moment of our history in sport.

That's very difficult to do. We have to know how difficult is be there and enjoy these moments, because gonna be very difficult to repeat another generation like we have now. :angel:

Q. Will you go to the final, Cape Town? :cuckoo:

RAFAEL NADAL: I have to do treatment right now on the knees. I have to have serious work, the same time to try to ready for the American season. So I don't think so. I gonna see.

But for me would be a pleasure to be there. I am a crazy fan of football, and for sure a big supporter of our team. I am in contact with the players. You know, I just wish the team all the best. Good boy!

But if the World Cup can be a little bit closer, gonna be easier for me to be there. :lol:

Q. You surprised some people with your summersault at the end. Is that something you thought through or did spontaneously?

RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't thought nothing about that. That was my reaction that moment, no? :cool:

Q. Winning the French and Wimbledon back to back, it's been said, is the hardest thing in tennis. You've now done it twice. How special do you think that is as an achievement?

RAFAEL NADAL: It didn't happen since Borg, so now last three years it happen twice. So how crazy is the life. :lol:

Q. The way you played in the clay court season, to be able to transfer that to grass, how tough is that?

RAFAEL NADAL: Is difficult. For sure is difficult. But important thing is I repeat the same than before: have enough illusion to play after winning in Roland Garros, to play well on grass.

So after a few years for me, I know how important is the grass court season. And after winning in Roland Garros Sunday, I am practicing on Monday in Queen's because I know how difficult is to change and to adapt the surface. Every day is goal to be ready to play here in Wimbledon. :angel:

So is difficult, yes. But if you have experience in the past and you have lot of matches on grass in the past, that's gonna help you a lot.

Q. You mentioned you were a bit nervous. Was it different playing here? You played three finals against Roger. Was it different today playing as the favorite?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. If you are not nervous in the final of Wimbledon, you are not human, so... :lol:

Q. This year tennis fans remember this championship for your win, but also Isner and Mahut. What message do you have for them?

RAFAEL NADAL: I saw the match. Was unbelievable. Just can congratulate both players because what they did. They show amazing good spirit for the crowd, for the young people, because the attitude was very positive and fighting a lot every point, like for 10 hours or 11 hours, I don't know.

So was just amazing. Both players need to acknowledge, the rest of the people, especially the tennis people. :worship: :bowdown:

Thank you very much.

He meant both players need to be acknowledged. :hatoff: :worship: :kiss:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2010-07-04/201007041278265283581.html

MariaV
07-05-2010, 07:01 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_nadal_30_prosport_j_buckle.jpg

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_nadal_29_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg

MariaV
07-05-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_nadalBerdych_23_prosport_t_hindley.jpg

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_nadalBerdych_27_aeltc_n_tingle.jpg

http://www.wimbledon.org/images/pics/large/b_13_nadalBerdych_31_prosport_t_hindley.jpg

Mimi
07-05-2010, 07:23 AM
poor rafa, how could he entertain this huge crowd with autographs and photos:o:eek:

MariaV
07-05-2010, 07:26 AM
Mimi, he is such a nice and remarkably patient young man, he signed for everyone! :hearts: :inlove: :worship: :bowdown:

Mimi
07-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Mimi, he is such a nice and remarkably patient young man, he signed for everyone! :hearts: :inlove: :worship: :bowdown:

:bigcry: oh god, I wish I could have the chance to meet rafa, but i don't think I could, he will never come to Hong Kong:ras:

Mimi
07-05-2010, 08:14 AM
:eek:

rafa_maniac
07-05-2010, 08:46 AM
:eek:

That photo makes me smile for days, especially love how Serena fashioned her dress after the trophy :haha:

adee-gee
07-05-2010, 12:15 PM
The final isn't in Cape Town :o But Rafa should go to SA, it's so lovely there :inlove:

Serena looks hot in that pic :D

Tutu
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Can't believe no one posted these

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/8f/fullj.c560263bad9fc820007f75d3e63df30c/c560263bad9fc820007f75d3e63df30c-getty-102402340jf004_wimbledon_ch.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/a8/fullj.e9260c1f69d3332ef9a0f29b3a5a4e1f/e9260c1f69d3332ef9a0f29b3a5a4e1f-getty-102402340jf015_wimbledon_ch.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/e4/fullj.f0c8caab8a4404150845cf4d80ec328a/f0c8caab8a4404150845cf4d80ec328a-getty-102402340jf005_wimbledon_ch.jpg
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/6f/fullj.eb7fbef9bafba83037da8e6be2eca698/eb7fbef9bafba83037da8e6be2eca698-getty-102402340jf003_wimbledon_ch.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+fprYNJ9y gzIl.jpg
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+7Oqw3ePY kw7l.jpg
http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+fJuMlnI7 y1Il.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+mSIzOaqE aK3l.jpg
http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+UKEBFhyJ Oacl.jpg
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Wimbledon+Championships+2010+Winners+Ball+SHTwL5lr cX2l.jpg

:hearts: They look incredible together.

liisa
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
The final isn't in Cape Town :o But Rafa should go to SA, it's so lovely there :inlove:

Serena looks hot in that pic :D

He went there on holidays with his family back in 2000 or something.

scoobs
07-05-2010, 12:56 PM
That dress Serena is wearing is amazing.

Tutu
07-05-2010, 01:34 PM
That photo makes me smile for days, especially love how Serena fashioned her dress after the trophy :haha:
Me too.

It's so satisfying to see them there together. :hearts:

acionescu
07-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Amazing dress :inlove:

Burberry apparently :worship:

star
07-05-2010, 03:34 PM
There was a story on the W site about a woman (Elizabeth I think) who brings in racks of clothing for the WTA girls to try on for the dinner. She's dressed Venus and Serena. I wonder if that dress is one of hers. It's far better than what Serena usually wears. It's very flattering. She looks great.

And Rafa -- :inlove:

Minn
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
That dress Serena is wearing is amazing. It is beautiful. She and Rafa both look good.

l_mac
07-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Serena tweeted that Burberry were dressing her for the ball.

Castafiore
07-06-2010, 05:47 PM
NBC - John McEnroe interviews Rafa after the final (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdx6os_int_sport)

(once again, found on vb.com)

Nekromanta
07-08-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm freakin' happy Rafa Won RG and Wimby. Damn I've been travelling a lot lately and didn't have time for funny stuff like gloating and Fed/Söder-bashing a bit. Anyway, Congrats Rafa :)

Vaccine
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
NBC - John McEnroe interviews Rafa after the final (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xdx6os_int_sport)

(once again, found on vb.com)

thanks! I noticed some time ago that Rafa's English improved significantly and it's visible in this interview. He's really fluent now :)

10nisfan
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM

He said on his FB Page that he wil b n SA on Sunday to Support Spain Live!

10nisfan
07-08-2010, 07:02 PM
It is beautiful. She and Rafa both look good.

...But Serena s a Fedtard! :lol:

Metis
07-09-2010, 03:07 PM
Great photos :inlove:

and Serena's outfit looks amazing and classy (for a change :p).