Are there any countries where tennis is THE #1 sport? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Are there any countries where tennis is THE #1 sport?

out_here_grindin
06-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I would say no.

All the countries where tennis is very popular like Spain,France,Argentina and Serbia soccer is more popular. Tennis is biggest in Europe but soccer reigns supreme in every country. Switzerland may be the closest in terms of popularity because of Federer but they also have winter sports to compete with. Maybe some of our Swiss posters can shed more light on the situation in Switzerland.

Every Latin American country crowns soccer as their king(except Dominican Republic and Venezuela where baseball wins out). Tennis has some popularity on Brazil,Ecuador,Chile and Colombia but again soccer dominates them.

Tennis is pretty much non-existent in the caribbean,Africa and in the Arab world. The USA has a multitude of other sports more popular than tennis. The english speaking countries like Canada do not recognize tennis as a major sport.

Australia maybe at one time had tennis #1 but I think Australian Rules football is more popular. Swimming also big there. Tennis has receded in popularity there.

The one place that maybe tennis is the #1 sport is Thailand. srichaphan made the sport very popular there. A local coach from around my area left the USA to go coach the hottest juniors in Thailand. Soccer isn't very popular there and there are really no other sports. But even then it hasn't produced any type of tennis boom from Thailand. Southeast Asia, like Myanmar,Laos,Cambodia really don't have a sport and tennis could become popular there but the poverty levels may prevent it from gaining steam. Vietnam is only good at poker while Indonesia and Malaysia are manic over badminton. Taiwan had some good juniors in tennis and the sport may be gaining popularity there.

India likes tennis but it is way behind cricket and other sports.

your thoughts on the popularity of tennis is certain countries and where it is most popular and where it can become more popular.

rocketassist
06-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Sweden maybe? Had a glittering history of tennis success compared to football...

Action Jackson
06-17-2010, 06:31 PM
No

Ice hockey and football are way more popular in Sweden.

Sauletekis
06-17-2010, 06:40 PM
That's a good point, never thought about this. I don't think there is...

LeChuck
06-17-2010, 06:50 PM
I remember reading an article about how Federer's victory in the 2005 Wimbledon final was only the 89th mosted view sporting event in Switzerland that year. Also I think the same article said that most of his other grand slam triumphs from 2003-2008 weren't even among the top 20 most viewed sporting events in their respective years. I think the 2003 Wimbledon final only came in at no. 27 that year. I'd assume that his historical RG and Wimbledon triumphes last year must surely have drawn higher ratings in Switzerland. Still from that I'd assume that tennis doesn't even come close to football there (and Switzerland are appearing in their 4th consecutive major tournament right now) and skiing and other winter sports.

I'd imagine that the height of tennis popularity in the US was probably the era of the Borg, Connors and McEnroe triumverate. I've heard that tennis was getting higher ratings than NBA basketball back then, though I imagine it still lagged way behind american football and baseball.

Even when the US had the fab four of Sampras, Agassi, Courier and Chang racking up big titles in the early 90s, tennis was still losing popularity. The casual tennis fans (who of course heavily outnumber the diehards) only cared about Agassi and not the other 3 players. Sampras, Courier and Chang were often bluntly asked in press conferences why there were 'so boring', and Sampras was also often asked what could be done to make the sport more popular in the US again.

Mjau!
06-17-2010, 07:12 PM
"It is better to be big in many countries than to be the biggest in a few"

andy neyer
06-18-2010, 03:18 AM
I've often thought about this and I can't think of any either.

andy neyer
06-18-2010, 03:19 AM

it's not that big in many countries either.

Boarder35m
06-18-2010, 03:30 AM
I am not 100% sure but I think that in most contries team sports are more popular than individual sports, maybe with the exception of swimming in for example Australia.

Team sports are always being played in leagues whrere you either can watch your team in the stadium or watch it on a regular basis on TV. Tennis, Swimming or other individual sports are not that regular on TT and if they are it depends stronger on the fact if you like a certain player if you stay tuned. I mean when you are a fan of one player but you see a different player it isnīt as interesting as watching a game with a team that could be your opponent a few weeks later or thatīs fighting for a position on a league table.

allpro
06-18-2010, 03:38 AM
tennis will never be a sport for the masses.

born_on_clay
06-18-2010, 10:38 AM
in Spain it's popular. not so much as football of course but Rafa has "God status" there :D

Baghdatis#1
06-19-2010, 05:17 AM
It's the national sport of Uzbekistan :)

Nathaliia
06-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Not sure about Uzbekistan but Kazakhstan for sure :haha:

rafa_maniac
06-20-2010, 12:30 AM
Well it's up there in Australia. Ten years ago it might have been ever closer, it's receeded a bit since then. I think it's #1 among Australian women if that counts for anything. The Australian Open is probably THE biggest sporting event considering in a country of only 20 million, over 600,000 attended this year. Cricket, AFL and NRL all have more "diehard" popularity but tennis has broad popularity nationwide. As for swimming, it's really only a big deal during major events like the Olympics and Commonwealth Games.

Kournikovaism
06-20-2010, 12:31 AM

Good Point, tons of people love Rugby Union here despite the fact it is not popular in many countries around the world but we focus on it like crazy :rolleyes:

Its whats wrong with our sports setup. Focusing on unpopular non Olympic sports. I can see the merits of the GAA but I dunno what merits rugby union has for the country.

oranges
06-20-2010, 09:56 AM
It was he most popular sport over here in summer 2001, does that count?

out_here_grindin
09-27-2010, 07:05 PM
Kazahkstan could be one soon, if not already.

Nacho
09-27-2010, 08:33 PM
in Spain it's popular. not so much as football of course but Rafa has "God status" there :D

Rafa is indeed very popular in Spain but still tennis cannot be compared to football or even formula 1, just take a look at the tv ratings:

2010 top 50

01 - Football: 2010 World Cup finals Netherlands vs Spain
02 - Football: 2010 World Cup SF Germany vs Spain
03 - Football: 2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain
04 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Honduras
05 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Portugal
06 - Football: 2010 World Cup Chile vs Spain
07 - Football: 2010 World Cup Paraguay vs Spain
08 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Switzerland
09 - Football: Champions League Inter vs Barcelona
10 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Fulham
11 - Football: La Liga Real Madrid vs Barcelona
12 - Football: Copa del Rey At. Madrid vs Sevilla
13 - Football: Champions League
14 - Football: Friendly match France vs Spain
15 - Football: Champions League Lyon vs Real Madrid
16 - Football: Champions League
17 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid - Fulham
18 - Football: Friendly match Argentina vs Spain
19 - Football: Firendly match Spain vs Poland
20 - Football: Europa League Liverpool vs At. Madrid
21 - Football: 2010 World Cup Uruguay vs Netherlands
22 - Football: 2010 World Cup Argentina vs Mexico
23 - Football: La Liga Mallorca vs Real Madrid
24 - Formula 1: Singapur GP
25 - Football: Champions League Barcelona vs Panathinaikos
26 - Formula 1: Monaco GP
27 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Chile
28 - Formula 1: Spanish GP
29 - Football: La Liga Real Madrid vs Sevilla
30 - Formula 1: Italian GP
31 - Formula 1: Bahrein GP
32 - Football: Champions League Sevilla vs CSK Moscow
33 - Football: Europa League liverpool-At. Madrid
34 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Ivory Coast
35 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Korea
36 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Valencia
37 - Formula 1: Canadian GP
38 - Football: 2010 World Cup Italy vs Paraguay
39 - Formula 1: Europe GP
40 - Formula 1: Turkey GP
41 - Tennis: Roland Garros final Soderling vs Nadal
42 - Football: La Liga Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid
43 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Liverpool
44 - Football: 2010 World Cup Greece vs Argentina
45 - Football: La Liga Deportivo vs Real Madrid
46 - Football: 2010 World Cup USA vs Ghana
47 - Formula 1: Hungary GP
48 - Football: Friendly Mexico vs Spain
49 - Cycling: Tour de France Tourmalet
50 - Moto GP: Qatar GP

Wimbledon and US Open finals are nowhere to be seen :sobbing:

Navratil
09-29-2010, 12:26 PM
What about Belgium?
Switzerland?

Henry Chinaski
09-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Good Point, tons of people love Rugby Union here despite the fact it is not popular in many countries around the world but we focus on it like crazy :rolleyes:

Its whats wrong with our sports setup. Focusing on unpopular non Olympic sports. I can see the merits of the GAA but I dunno what merits rugby union has for the country.

rugby is popular because we're good at it. apart from maybe d4, limerick and cork, everywhere is a temporary bandwagon.

Don't see what the Olympics has to do with anything though. Sure it would be nice have a proper track and field infrastructure in place but I doubt anyone could argue we should invest in sailing, archery, rowing etc at the expense of say, rugby and horse racing, both of which we punch above our weight at.

MariaV
09-29-2010, 12:44 PM

Exactly.
Let them have football. :shrug: ;)

Puschkin
09-29-2010, 12:49 PM
I am perfectly fine with that. :shrug:

Baghdatis#1
10-01-2010, 01:12 AM
Rafa is indeed very popular in Spain but still tennis cannot be compared to football or even formula 1, just take a look at the tv ratings:

2010 top 50

01 - Football: 2010 World Cup finals Netherlands vs Spain
02 - Football: 2010 World Cup SF Germany vs Spain
03 - Football: 2010 World Cup Netherlands vs Spain
04 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Honduras
05 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Portugal
06 - Football: 2010 World Cup Chile vs Spain
07 - Football: 2010 World Cup Paraguay vs Spain
08 - Football: 2010 World Cup Spain vs Switzerland
09 - Football: Champions League Inter vs Barcelona
10 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Fulham
11 - Football: La Liga Real Madrid vs Barcelona
12 - Football: Copa del Rey At. Madrid vs Sevilla
13 - Football: Champions League
14 - Football: Friendly match France vs Spain
15 - Football: Champions League Lyon vs Real Madrid
16 - Football: Champions League
17 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid - Fulham
18 - Football: Friendly match Argentina vs Spain
19 - Football: Firendly match Spain vs Poland
20 - Football: Europa League Liverpool vs At. Madrid
21 - Football: 2010 World Cup Uruguay vs Netherlands
22 - Football: 2010 World Cup Argentina vs Mexico
23 - Football: La Liga Mallorca vs Real Madrid
24 - Formula 1: Singapur GP
25 - Football: Champions League Barcelona vs Panathinaikos
26 - Formula 1: Monaco GP
27 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Chile
28 - Formula 1: Spanish GP
29 - Football: La Liga Real Madrid vs Sevilla
30 - Formula 1: Italian GP
31 - Formula 1: Bahrein GP
32 - Football: Champions League Sevilla vs CSK Moscow
33 - Football: Europa League liverpool-At. Madrid
34 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Ivory Coast
35 - Football: 2010 World Cup Brazil vs Korea
36 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Valencia
37 - Formula 1: Canadian GP
38 - Football: 2010 World Cup Italy vs Paraguay
39 - Formula 1: Europe GP
40 - Formula 1: Turkey GP
41 - Tennis: Roland Garros final Soderling vs Nadal
42 - Football: La Liga Real Sociedad vs Real Madrid
43 - Football: Europa League At. Madrid vs Liverpool
44 - Football: 2010 World Cup Greece vs Argentina
45 - Football: La Liga Deportivo vs Real Madrid
46 - Football: 2010 World Cup USA vs Ghana
47 - Formula 1: Hungary GP
48 - Football: Friendly Mexico vs Spain
49 - Cycling: Tour de France Tourmalet
50 - Moto GP: Qatar GP

Wimbledon and US Open finals are nowhere to be seen :sobbing:

:o

Any lists like this from other countries?

Baghdatis#1
10-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Not sure about Uzbekistan but Kazakhstan for sure :haha:
I read in Tennis Magazine a few years ago that Uzbekistan made it the national sport ;)

out_here_grindin
05-10-2011, 10:12 PM
I read in Tennis Magazine a few years ago that Uzbekistan made it the national sport ;)

maybe Istomin can start a tennis boom. But soccer is more popular there still.

Chris Kuerten
05-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Will never happen in 99% of the countries, tennis is relatively hard (as in difficult and the fact you can't play everywhere you want, like football) and expensive to play.

Sonja1989
05-10-2011, 11:00 PM
No. Team games are more popular everywhere.
I have to say the tennis isn't top 5 in Hungary.

Chase Visa
05-10-2011, 11:36 PM
Don't think so. Maybe Serbia, but soccer's still probably bigger.

Capuccino
05-11-2011, 02:32 AM
As for Serbia, football(Soccer) and basketball are still way more popular even after the breakthrough of Serbian players. There is no country where tennis is the number 1 sport as it's not availible for everyone.

out_here_grindin
08-17-2011, 03:04 PM
I actually met someone on a plane from who lives in Kazahkstan and I mentioned the sport in their country and he said that football was still way more popular.

bokehlicious
08-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Football must be more popular about everywhere on the planet bar the US :shrug:

Hewitt =Legend
08-17-2011, 03:09 PM
I hear the cannibals in Rwanda don't mind having a hit once in a while... think they prefer it to the old five-a-side football drills but you never know...

out_here_grindin
08-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Football must be more popular about everywhere on the planet bar the US :shrug:

Many of the worlds most populous countries do not hold football as their #1 sport. China,India,USA,Indonesia,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Viet nam,Philippines,Japan(although its close).

That's not to say its not the most popular sport because it is, but its not as far-dominating as many believe.

romismak
08-17-2011, 10:11 PM
No of course not, there is 0 countries where tennis is most popular sport. It is obvious and easy. It is even funny how someone can thought about it. First of all tennis is individual sport - when you compare generally team and individual sports you can see that team sports are far more popular- because you have national team, team from your city and so on... whole family genarations are cheering for one team and so on. Never can 1 single person made something more popular than whole team in team competition... Then secondly tennis is popular in parts of the world where football is dominating. Europe and Latin America, lost some prestige in USA, AUS, but never it was No.1 there too. And last tennis is pretty expensive sport compare to other sports... it is not cheap to have racquet, balls, play for surfaces and so on in every part of the world, so never will be such ,, expensive,, sport more popular, because thanks to this tennis lacks millions of people - because of this is football No.1 globally- you need one ball and 20 kids can play it outside... I was thinking about Switzerland too like somebody here mentioned, but before Federer they havenīt much succes, so donīt think tennis is more popular than some big sports like football, handball, winter sports in CH. About Sweden they always had ice hockey and indoor sports, so no way for tennis to be more popular. Maybe somebody will think about Serbia thanks to Djokovic, Ivanovic, Jankovic, but overall Serbia is team sport country and i doubt tennis is more popular then football for sure. MAybe Djokovic as single person right now is more popular than any team in SRB when you compare ratings, but whole as sport tennis canīt compare to football in SRB for sure.

electronicmusic
08-18-2011, 08:54 AM
In Switzerland, the most popular sports are football (summer), skiing and ice hockey (winter). Tennis got a lot more popular since 2001/2003 - thanks to Federer and Stan. In my opinion, Tennis takes the fourth place.

Manduco
09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Not that I can think of.

Most countries take an interest but you wouldn't say it's a passion for too many countries.

Action Jackson
12-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Never will be.

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 02:52 AM
Don't see how football is so much more popular than tennis... watching guys dive for 90 minutes and grimace in pain in order to obtain free kicks is not my idea of entertainment :o

Action Jackson
12-07-2011, 03:03 AM
Don't see how football is so much more popular than tennis... watching guys dive for 90 minutes and grimace in pain in order to obtain free kicks is not my idea of entertainment :o

It's actually very easy to understand why it's easily the most popular sport in the world. It's easy to play, most skillful sport since no hands being used and the most important thing the cost factor makes it accessible to everyone.

Topspindoctor
12-07-2011, 03:21 AM
It's actually very easy to understand why it's easily the most popular sport in the world. It's easy to play, most skillful sport since no hands being used and the most important thing the cost factor makes it accessible to everyone.

I think this is the most important point :shrug: To play football, all you need is a ball and some makeshift goalposts. That's why it's so popular, especially in third world countries...

To play tennis you need tennis courts, which are properly maintained, else the ball will bounce all over the place, tennis racquets, tennis balls, good shoes etc... In Australia it costs $15 dollars an hour to rent even the shittiest tennis court and you obviously have to provide your own gear. With football, you can buy a decent ball for $40 and use the free stadiums all over to play with a bunch of people.

Football isn't necessarily more exciting, but it's a lot more affordable, which the main reason for its huge popularity.

abraxas21
12-07-2011, 05:44 AM
Many of the worlds most populous countries do not hold football as their #1 sport. China,India,USA,Indonesia,Pakistan,Bangladesh,Viet nam,Philippines,Japan(although its close).

That's not to say its not the most popular sport because it is, but its not as far-dominating as many believe.

actually, cricket is probly the most popular sport

Jimnik
12-07-2011, 08:26 AM
A team sport will always be the most popular in any country.

Everko
12-07-2011, 05:48 PM
Im not sure anyone I know in real life has ever watched tennis. I watched French Open with friends one time and they did not like it.

fmolinari2005
12-10-2011, 02:05 AM

It is strange you not liking it. Aren't you a Nadal fan?! Last time I checked Nadal pretty much does the same thing ...

Nathaliia
12-10-2011, 02:10 AM
i think tennis in thailand in paradorn times was popular

Sham Kay
12-10-2011, 02:47 AM
There are undoubtedly numerous tribes in jungles playing tennis to a level unheard of professionally. Whatever tribe taught wild kid Rafael how to play surely has Tennis on par with their traditional pastime of vine swinging.

Corey Feldman
12-10-2011, 02:49 AM
surely Serbia

Sham Kay
12-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Serbia probably still digs their basketball.

PiggyGotRoasted
12-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Tennis is the most popular sport in britain for 3 or 4 weeks of every year.

Every other week its less popular than arctic log throwing