Hewitt, Henman, Johansson, Federer: Who would you like to win the USO? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt, Henman, Johansson, Federer: Who would you like to win the USO?

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 04:06 AM
And why?

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Federer: the "history" thing. Besides, I would love to see Federer further establish his dominance in the game.

I would also be happy if Hewitt won, because he's won before.

MisterQ
09-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Henman: it would be a great story, and I would probably enjoy the tennis along the way.

Obviously it's a very tall order though, because even if he gets through Fed, his nightmare opponent Hewitt could be waiting for him!

Kiara
09-10-2004, 04:11 AM
Henman..because im british :D

Federer winning would be too....boring
Hewitt- too annoying
Pimmy- see hewitt

Jorge
09-10-2004, 04:13 AM
1. Federer (he is one of my fav players ever)
2. Johansson (after tonight's match ousting Roddick, he deserves the trophy)
3. Hen-man :p (because he never have won any GS)
4. Hewitt (Because I think Hewitt will have many chances to win more GS and is not one of my faves)

lucashg
09-10-2004, 04:15 AM
Federer, he's the best player nowadays. I always tend to root for the best, unless they're pretty arrogant/idiot or for some other reason I like their opponent better. Also, I'd like to see someone dominating (almost) everything for a while, gotta find the Sampras of "my generation".

Kiara
...it wouldbe nice if Johansson backed up his big win with another over Hewitt before losing to Henman in the finals :D

trixy
Henman...I mean just the whole yr he has had. Doing so well at the french and then the dissapointment of Wimby. I would absolutely love to see him win a slam.

I just really don't want Hewitt to win but i think he well......

tennischick
09-10-2004, 04:26 AM
Federer...he's the best, period. i cannot remember ever seeing another player who had his variety and awesomeness. :worship:

too bad he isn't meeting the Potato in the final bec Potato has been playing well enuf to be there.

Lee
09-10-2004, 04:34 AM
Henman, just get everyone off his back.

Fergie
09-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Rogi, because he is the best :yeah:

Lisbeth
09-10-2004, 04:35 AM
Hewitt because:

1. He's my fave ;) (hey at least I'm honest!) and
2. I think it would be really good to have a solid, consistent third player seriously challenging Roddick and Federer, at least on hard courts.

However, to be honest I'll be pretty happy with whoever wins. Federer's a legend and I'm never unhappy to see such classy tennis win. Henman certainly has had a good year and more than a bit of bad luck in previous years. Johansson, well great guy and it's always good to see another slam contender rise to the occasion.

Mechlan
09-10-2004, 06:09 AM
1. Roger
2. Lleyton
3. Timmy
4. Pim Pim

Though I like them all. Really a no-loss situation. :D

Lindsayfan
09-10-2004, 06:40 AM
Federer will win, with or without my support. But I'd love to see Pim Pim winning.

Lalitha
09-10-2004, 06:43 AM
I don't mind any of them winning except for one.

superpinkone37
09-10-2004, 06:52 AM
hmmm i voted henman cuz once i thought about it, i think it would be cool to see him win. i wanna see the reaction...and timmy probably wont be around much longer i wouldnt think so i think it would be cool to see him win. i also want hewitt to win, i dunno why, i just like him i guess. its always cool to see federer win just cuz its really awesome to see him play, but i would rather that someone else won this time around

Hagar
09-10-2004, 07:46 AM
Hewitt, to shut up the doubters (amazing that they still exist).

junekidd
09-10-2004, 08:01 AM
anyone but federer... yeah, he is the best player now, but it is too early for him to win 3 GS one year. getting too easy, who will still care it???

naiwen
09-10-2004, 08:24 AM
Federer: to make "history," to get 6700+ ER points and 1080+ CR points. :wavey:

Johansson: I'd be happy to see another swede in a major final, or even to win it (last one i rooted for is Magnus... :sad: )

Vladimir Poutine
09-10-2004, 08:28 AM
Don't care any of them would be fine. I would like to see a Hewitt/Federer final though.

naiwen
09-10-2004, 08:29 AM
anyone but federer... yeah, he is the best player now, but it is too early for him to win 3 GS one year. getting too easy, who will still care it???

Wilander and Connors already did it, and Laver even won all four. But nobody thinks it's an easy task.
;) :wavey:

Xavidbz
09-10-2004, 08:34 AM
1.Henman
2.Hewitt
3.Federer
4.Johansson

junekidd
09-10-2004, 08:51 AM
Wilander and Connors already did it, and Laver even won all four. But nobody thinks it's an easy task.
;) :wavey:

yeah, I know that. I mean that federer is too young, I prefer to see this situation when he is 25 or above... is that thought somewhat odd... :rolleyes:
besides, the tennis now has changed a lot. it has more strength and is more aggressive. players have more tournaments one year, so it's harder to win any of the 4 GS for the them. but federer nearly lives up to it now. he is a great player indeed, but I want to see some other players' win too.
I just do not like one player dominates all the matches...

naiwen
09-10-2004, 09:14 AM
yeah, I know that. I mean that federer is too young, I prefer to see this situation when he is 25 or above... is that thought somewhat odd... :rolleyes:
besides, the tennis now has changed a lot. it has more strength and is more aggressive. players have more tournaments one year, so it's harder to win any of the 4 GS for the them. but federer nearly lives up to it now. he is a great player indeed, but I want to see some other players' win too.
I just do not like one player dominates all the matches...

Yes, that's true. I'd like to see Safin wins it again.

I'm also wondering how far Roger can go. Now he got 977 CR points and 6200+ ES points. :worship: :worship:
No idea how many points Sampras got in 1994 (for 10 titles), but I think nobody had more than 5900 points after '95.
;)

junekidd
09-10-2004, 09:33 AM
Yes, that's true. I'd like to see Safin wins it again.

I'm also wondering how far Roger can go. Now he got 977 CR points and 6200+ ES points. :worship: :worship:
No idea how many points Sampras got in 1994 (for 10 titles), but I think nobody had more than 5900 points after '95.
;)
oh... marat... not to mention this guy! I am satisfied with his small win... GS, I do not have that extravagant hope now... :mad:
let us wait and see what will happen at the end of this year... :rolleyes:

jtipson
09-10-2004, 09:42 AM
On the numbers, it's difficult to compare points from eras where the ranking systems were different, but Kajun from the tennis stock market game actually did some calcs as to what Sampras' points in 1994 and others would be in today's terms:

1. Sampras 6930 (after Wimbledon 1994)
2. Agassi 6660 (before US Open 1995)
3. Sampras 5830 (after Cincinnati 1997)

Federer would have 6760 if he wins the USO, so still not quite as much as Sampras.

Back to the main subject, I'm quite happy if any of these guys wins, although I'd find it odd if Johansson makes it. Hewitt has had plenty of practice with him and knows his game well enough (of course the reverse is also true!), I expect his experience will be enough for him to make the final. Federer/Henman is a trickier proposition to predict; given current form and history, either might prevail.

Guess I'd like to see a Federer/Hewitt final: they always have such great matches. This is the rivalry to watch I think, not Federer/Roddick. Would expect Hewitt to be number two by the end of the year.

*Ljubica*
09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
I honestly don't mind and would be happy with any of the four winning for the following reasons:-

1. Federer - because he IS the best :worship:
2. Hewitt - because he's done so well to come back from a poor 2003.
3. Henman - because he's a nice guy and deserves at least one Grand Slam.
4. Johannson- because he made me very happy today by beating Duckyboy.

I voted for Henman in the end just because I could only choose one.

Vladimir Poutine
09-10-2004, 09:44 AM
Guess I'd like to see a Federer/Hewitt final: they always have such great matches. This is the rivalry to watch I think, not Federer/Roddick. Would expect Hewitt to be number two by the end of the year.

Wyver and Fedex would be so pissed off if Hewitt got that high in the rankings again.

WyveN
09-10-2004, 10:13 AM
Wyver and Fedex would be so pissed off if Hewitt got that high in the rankings again.

Surprised? Yes.
Pissed off? Given that the alternative is Andy I wouldn't be pissed off.

Fedex
09-10-2004, 10:19 AM
Personally, I am suprised Hewitt ever won a slam. Or became #1. He has already overachieved, but with the cakewalk draw that Hewitt got, I can now see why even someone like Hewitt could win a slam. Rogi will make potato salad out of Hewitt if they meet in the Finals

Space Cowgirl
09-10-2004, 10:20 AM
I voted Henman more in hope than expectation. Otherwise Federer. In any case please ANYONE BUT HEWITT! I really cannot stand him, he makes my blood boil :mad:

Patrick
09-10-2004, 10:22 AM
I want Johansson to win the title. :)

Lady
09-10-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm just begging that is won't be a Henman/Hewitt final, too predictible. Any other outcome with anyone winning would be fun! ;)

chris whiteside
09-10-2004, 10:24 AM
I'd love to see Henman do it. While he's never been the best player in the world he's better than many especially at home in Britain give him credit for. However, he won't do it. I am convinced it is going to be the horror final Hewitt v Henman and tennis doesn't need that. Not only has Henman never beaten Hewitt but the scores are getting worse each time.

heya
09-10-2004, 10:41 AM
Federer/Hewitt will be as boring as Federer/Agassi. 3 hours of yelling, ugly forehands, double faults & bad volleys.

WyveN
09-10-2004, 10:44 AM
3 hours of yelling, ugly forehands, double faults & bad volleys.

If you throw in 50 aces you have a perfect description of Roddick's match.

TheBoiledEgg
09-10-2004, 11:09 AM
Pim Pim :worship:

he's a Swede.
he shoots ducks
maybe he can peel potatoes
then finally he maybe able to roast the chicken or slay the ninja

what else do u want from a tennis player ;)

Crazy_Fool
09-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Obviously i would love Lleyton to win :D

But if Henman could win a slam i would be really happy for him as well

Dux
09-10-2004, 11:22 AM
I want a Henman vs Pim Pim Final :D :D :D

Ferrero Forever
09-10-2004, 11:31 AM
1. Federer, because he is a really talented player, though i do get sick of him winning all the time
2. Hewitt, because i really don't like the other 2
3. Johannson, because he beat koubek who beat ferrero
4. henman, because i really dislike him

Daniel
09-10-2004, 11:36 AM
FEderer

Raquel
09-10-2004, 11:46 AM
Roger or Lleyton. If they meet in the final it will be the first time 2 people who I have supported for a few years will play each other in a GS final (when David reached the Wimbledon final I wanted Lleyton as I had been supporting him a lot longer), so although I want them to both win their semis, I don't know how much I would actually enjoy the final!

I would love Roger to win and become the first guy in 16 years to win 3 Slams in a year but if Lleyton wins I will be just as happy as he has done so well this year to get back up the rankings and a lot of people were writing him off as not being a GS contender anymore and I think that made me even more of a fan. I will just be happy for whoever wins out of those two.

If Tim wins then I could even be happy for him as he gets a hard time here in the UK but I don't see him winning it to be honest.

Frooty_Bazooty
09-10-2004, 12:25 PM
let's just hope it isn't Henman vs Hewitt in the final :tape:

hi misterQ! :wavey:

heya
09-10-2004, 12:28 PM
C'monnnn! Perfect players don't have aces!

¿esquímaux?
09-10-2004, 12:28 PM
*growl* Allez Tiger Tim! :D Why? I like his serve-n-volley style. It's fun to see him work his way into net and put it away :kiss:

tennisvideos
09-10-2004, 12:38 PM
Personally, I am suprised Hewitt ever won a slam. Or became #1. He has already overachieved, but with the cakewalk draw that Hewitt got, I can now see why even someone like Hewitt could win a slam. Rogi will make potato salad out of Hewitt if they meet in the Finals

If only we could see your resume of achievements so that we could tear it to shreds as well. ;)

Lleyton deserved his status as world #1 and I don't appreciate armchair critics slagging off the hard earned efforts of tennis players. It only detracts from the sport in general.

SaFed2005
09-10-2004, 12:58 PM
Federer
Henman
Hewitt
Johhanson
in that order but whoever wins i'll be happy :)

~EMiLiTA~
09-10-2004, 02:02 PM
would be great for Pim Pim seeing as he's the underdog...but, unfortunately, I think Hewitt will end up winning this tournament...

RebelNYC
09-10-2004, 02:15 PM
I respect Hewitt because of his attitude....he never saw a point he didn't
NOT want to win and he just tries so hard with great results. He never
quits. Roger is great, too and I hope that it's Hewitt-Federer in the final.

If Henman won, it would be so emotional...and Johansson ...wow, wouldn't
that be something? Terrific semis!

Go Lleyton!

tommy_girl
09-10-2004, 02:25 PM
My first choice is Henman because he's not getting any younger.. i think its time that wins the grandslam. :yeah:

Pimpim is my second choice from the list...

Raquel
09-10-2004, 02:31 PM

Is it actually possible to over-achieve? It's possible to under-achieve (Marcelo Rios, I am looking at you) but I don't think it is actually possible to over-achieve. There is no rule at the beginning of a career saying a player is going to win X amount of Slams and then when they win more they have overachieved. You may think he does not deserve 2 Grand Slams and should not have been number 1, but the fact he went out and achieved it does not mean he overachieved just because that's your opinion of him.

yanchr
09-10-2004, 02:56 PM
As much as I dislike Hewitt, I think it will definitely not be a cakewalk for Rogi if they do meet in the final, which seems most likely. Hewitt is hitting the ball differently from how he used to, being much more aggressive yet the relative consistency and quick footwork is still there. He definitely has chance here in this USO, who is the last one among all I'd love to win.

misyou25
09-10-2004, 03:25 PM
hewitt

Mechlan
09-10-2004, 04:41 PM
I respect Hewitt because of his attitude....he never saw a point he didn't NOT want to win...

You mean he never saw a point he didn't want to win? This triple negation thing has got to stop. :D

But I agree with you. It's one of the things I respect the most about him.

PinkFeatherBoa
09-10-2004, 04:57 PM
It's got to be Henman for me because I love everything about him, his play, his personality- he is a true gentlemen. I would also like all the critics to get off his back for once. I'd also pick Tim because of my relationship with the guy- and I could go on forever about him I'm really that passionate about him, but to cut a long story short, I want him to win because he's a smashing guy who I have the utmost respect for {both him and his game}. Go Tim! :kiss:

As an aside I wouldn't mind any of the others winning, particuarly Roger and Lleyton as both are really cool guys, who I enjoy watching play.

alfonsojose
09-10-2004, 05:59 PM
anyone but Zzzederer ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
09-10-2004, 06:00 PM
in order

1) Hewitt b/c I love him

2) Federer b/c I love him

3) if not them, then Henman, b/c it would be nice for him to finally get a Slam after all the beating around the bush

4) Joachim, it would be an interesting ending

Aleksa's Laydee
09-10-2004, 08:28 PM
JOACHIM!!!!

sol
09-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Secret!!!! I’ve 2 players left ;)

Layla
09-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Henman.

Why? Because he is my second favorite player, because I love watching him play, because I would love to see him finally win a slam and get all those vultures off his back, and because he needs it the most.

Then Johansson, because I like him and he's the surprise factor.

But really, all of them are alright with me.

AtPGiRL
09-10-2004, 09:59 PM
Llegs! :worship:

RogiFan88
09-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Well, now that Rogi has made the SF, he might as well win the whole thing... so I w like him to win this and only have one slam to win... but he does have to beat Tim first, not an easy task when he's not played his best tennis. A lot at stake for him altho I suppose his #1 ranking is fairly secure.

Of the 4 Lleyton the least for me.

Just happy no Amers are there, esp Pandy... thank you Pim2, and yes, thank you to Pim2 for beating Koubek, for the same reason that Fashionista beat poor ailing Juanqui...

Port_Power
09-11-2004, 12:43 AM
hewitt..just to piss a few people off lol

Kristen
09-11-2004, 02:19 AM
I chose, pimpim, because he's quite good ;) and i'd like people to take more notice of him.
Secondly, I'd go with Tim. I kind of pity/adore the guy.
If Roger wins, I'll be ver happy. Unless he beats Joachim to do it!

sigmagirl91
09-11-2004, 02:22 AM
I would like to see PimPim win because we get to see a new slam winner, and it would be great to be introduced to a new personality in the men's game.

Shy
09-11-2004, 02:34 AM
I would like Roger to win because he will the first one for many year to have three slam.

2-Tim Henman: It will be nice if he can win a slam before he retired.

3-PimPim: new face

Fedex
09-11-2004, 02:39 AM
Is it actually possible to over-achieve? It's possible to under-achieve (Marcelo Rios, I am looking at you) but I don't think it is actually possible to over-achieve. There is no rule at the beginning of a career saying a player is going to win X amount of Slams and then when they win more they have overachieved. You may think he does not deserve 2 Grand Slams and should not have been number 1, but the fact he went out and achieved it does not mean he overachieved just because that's your opinion of him.
Well certainly Patrick McEnroe thinks so. He beleives Henman has overachieved, which I find a load of crap. I'm not saying Hewitt didnt deserve his slam wins, because he did, he earned it through hard work, I just saw him s not having the game to win one or becoming #1. Thats all.

papasmurf11
09-11-2004, 02:43 AM
Federer because he has amazing talent and deserves it!

Fedex
09-11-2004, 02:48 AM
Pim Pim :worship:

he's a Swede.
he shoots ducks
maybe he can peel potatoes
then finally he maybe able to roast the chicken or slay the ninja

what else do u want from a tennis player ;) roast chicken or slay the ninja :haha: :rolls: He can roast chicken, but no one will slay ninja.

Auscon
09-11-2004, 03:18 AM
1. Lleyton, because it will be a fitting end to 2004 after putting in great performances in the other 3 slams (only to be defeated by the eventual winners in each), and coming back from his form slump in 2003

2. Henman, its been a long time coming, which if he won, I think we'd see more jubilation from him than any of the other 4....thats not to say the others wont be on cloud 9 though

3. Federer, only for the 3 gs in a year...

4. Johansson, I've never really had the chance to follow any of his tennis before, whereas I have been doing so with Hewitt, Henman and Federer, so while I'd want him to win the least (also because it'd mean Lleyton wouldnt get to the final :) ), id still be happy to see him take the championship

LiZpHaIr
09-11-2004, 03:23 AM
I think henman will win. He has an great record against the Fed and I don't see Lleyton beating Joachim(I still love you though Lleyton!)

Fedex
09-11-2004, 03:28 AM
I think henman will win. He has an great record against the Fed and I don't see Lleyton beating Joachim(I still love you though Lleyton!)
He may have a great record against Rogi, but he's never won against roger on outdoor hardcourts. As a matter of fact he's never won a set or even won more than 3 games in a single set.

|-Safin_Coria-|
09-11-2004, 03:31 AM
Henman -- he is one of my favorites and it would just be soo utterly awesome if he won a GS!

ally_014
09-11-2004, 06:15 AM
Lleyton just to prove everyone who doubted him wrong!

Although any of the four winning would be great :)

superpinkone37
09-11-2004, 06:26 AM
yeah i would like to see hewiit win this as well. he has been playing so well this summer and he really deserves this, like you said, to prove everyone wrong :) geez i keep changing my mind who i want to win lol. but, you know, i probably wouldnt mind any of these players winnng

Rex
09-11-2004, 06:35 AM
federer, purely because of the history he has, but i would want someone like pimpim to win. besides he has got the chance now.

Iheartandy&roger
09-11-2004, 07:05 AM
Anybody really cuz they all proved why they should be there they have all played such intense awesome matches with their opponents so whoever takes it won't bother me in anyway because they have shown their drive, strength, talent and determination and for that they should get rewarded.