Andy is a great sport [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy is a great sport

Arcadion
09-10-2004, 03:33 AM
Not only for trying to keep the crowd quiet when they were cheering Joachims fault, but at the end when he lost and shook his hand. Very classy indeed.
That's just one of the reasons why we like him :)

Congrats to Joachim! Better luck next time Andy, we're proud of you!

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 03:36 AM
What? Duck was agitated and growling through the last half of that match.

WyveN
09-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Andy was very disrespectful to the officials but obviously has a lot of respect for Johansson and didnt let the crowd go out of control

Junex
09-10-2004, 03:38 AM
Not only for trying to keep the crowd quiet when they were cheering Joachims fault, but at the end when he lost and shook his hand. Very classy indeed.

Very comforting indeed! I thought i only hear this from WS fans whenever they lost?

this is another proof of Andy being a 3rd WS! :devil:

croat123
09-10-2004, 03:39 AM
he was being a bitch for the entire match...

Blaze
09-10-2004, 03:40 AM
I had the match on mute so I couldn't get too agitated from the crowd. Last night against Federer was enough for me.

Clara Bow
09-10-2004, 03:42 AM
Andy can be a bit bratty to the linespeople and whatnot (as can other players so it doesn't bug me that much) but he is normally very classy to his opponents.

I'm divided on the outcome.
*On one hand, I like how JJ is not a pure power player but showed some smart shotmaking abilities (like Roddick has begun to do). I also like that with him, Sweden may have a stronger GS presence again.
* On the other hand- Roddick is good for creating buzz about tennis in the US and I wanted to see another Federer/Roddick final (with Feds winning.) Although Roddick annoys me at times, I think he has matured quite a bit, is often a gracious winner and loser after matches, and really wants to put tennis more on the sports map in the US. So gosh darn it I like the boy.

jole
09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
The morons going wild when Johansson missed a first serve was pathetic. This is obviously something that has happened before, but tonight it was so obvious, loud, and utterly annoying. Awesome work to keep your poise and defeat Roddick, Joachim.

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Funny. Roddick has the opposite affect on me. He always seems to find a way to get on my nerves :scratch:

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 03:46 AM
Funny. Roddick has the opposite affect on me. He always seems to find a way to get on my nerves :scratch:

Mine too.

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 03:47 AM
The morons going wild when Johansson missed a first serve was pathetic. This is obviously something that has happened before, but tonight it was so obvious, loud, and utterly annoying. Awesome work to keep your poise and defeat Roddick, Joachim.

That's what happens when you have to pay $25 for beer at the US Open :ignore:

Gineprimania
09-10-2004, 03:47 AM
EEEEEEEEEffect.

Kiara
09-10-2004, 03:51 AM

erm oookkkaaay, obviously i blinked and missed the part where he was being a "great sport"

but at the end when he lost and shook his hand. Very classy indeed.!

:confused:

He was being a gigantic brat thoughout the entire match. He has his "classy" moments but this was just not one of those.

Fee
09-10-2004, 03:52 AM
Andy and Joachim have known each other for a number of years. Andy was fairly well-behaved for that match, but he did get snarky with the chair ump toward the end. I agree with him tho, what on earth was that woman doing calling the service line from 4 feet off angle?

Joachim may have won a lot of fans tonight, and he deserves every single one of them. Have to laugh at the CBS execs tho, they are probably pulling their hair out right about now knowing they have to sell the rest of the men's event without an American. I hope they use this opportunity wisely.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Joachim may have won a lot of fans tonight, and he deserves every single one of them. Have to laugh at the CBS execs tho, they are probably pulling their hair out right about now knowing they have to sell the rest of the men's event without an American. I hope they use this opportunity wisely.

My thoughts exactly, Fee.

Rosa Luxembourg
09-10-2004, 03:54 AM
classy? have we been watching the same match? :rolleyes:

the way he was talking to a chair umpire was not only disrespectful, but insulting.

althoogh I alsways knew the guy doesn't respect anyone.

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 03:56 AM
Andy and Joachim have known each other for a number of years. Andy was fairly well-behaved for that match, but he did get snarky with the chair ump toward the end. I agree with him tho, what on earth was that woman doing calling the service line from 4 feet off angle?

:cough:federer:cough:

Who many of the "old school" Americans like better than Roddick anyway, and the new fans are getting to enjoy.

Neely
09-10-2004, 03:56 AM
The morons going wild when Johansson missed a first serve was pathetic. This is obviously something that has happened before, but tonight it was so obvious, loud, and utterly annoying.
In this case I would recommend you to play Davis Cup with Germany in South America and you would get to know what's really pathetic ;) LOL

Clara Bow
09-10-2004, 04:02 AM

I really think that pushing Federer is their best chance, followed by Tim (I guess it's good that they are on the same side of the draw so either will come in)

1) Federer in that he could be the first to have 3 GS in a year since Mats- the "first to since" type of thing really brought a lot of people into horseracing for Smarty Jones' ill fated attempt for the triple crown. Also- Sports Illustrated and ESPN have begun to embrace Federer more lately, as have some larger newspapers so he could be on the verge of breaking though the public awareness here. They should also do soundbites of Johnny Macs somewhat frequent assertions that Feds is the most talented player he has ever seen.

2) Tim Henman because he is 30 and they could push the "potential last chance for a Grand Slam" type of thing. Also- we tend to like Brits.

Leo
09-10-2004, 04:16 AM
I was not impressed by Roddick's attitude in this match.

Fee
09-10-2004, 04:17 AM
They don't need to 'push' anyone. They need to use this chance to educate viewers on who these four men are, why they are exciting to watch, what kind of matches they will be and why people should make sure to tune in on Saturday. The Hewitt-Johansson match will be very interesting, considering the personal relationships there and the complete difference in playing styles. The Henman-Federer match will be interesting because of the history, what this victory will mean for both of these players, and the potential for incredible points from those two. CBS has tomorrow to get the hype going and get people excited for these two matches. Cue the music... 'Getting to know you' to start off with, then fade it into something fast and pounding.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 04:18 AM
Andy's a great sport.....ok, then I have never, ever bitched at, flamed, or bad-repped posters on this board. 'Nuff said.

WyveN
09-10-2004, 04:20 AM
Have to laugh at the CBS execs tho, they are probably pulling their hair out right about now knowing they have to sell the rest of the men's event without an American. I hope they use this opportunity wisely.

Time to bring out the frog racing tapes.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 04:22 AM
Time to bring out the frog racing tapes.

Or billiards.... :o

Leo
09-10-2004, 04:29 AM
Or billiards.... :o

Don't diss billiards. ;)

tennischick
09-10-2004, 04:30 AM
QuackFuck was being a prick thruout the match. he only calmed down the crowd bec their reaction was interfering with his own concentration. he was typically petulant to the end. :mad:

Lisbeth
09-10-2004, 04:39 AM
As far as I can recall Andy has always shaken hands with opponents in a most sincere fashion and I respect that. Plus he very rarely makes excuses for a loss.

For the rest, I wouldn't call him one of the top 10 great sports of the game but he doesn't really deserve to be called a bad sport either.

Chloe le Bopper
09-10-2004, 04:57 AM
I have to admit that I turned the match off during the fourth set because his behavior was grating on my nerves. But when it was all over he didn't sulk off and give his opponent a snippy handshake, so in that respect he done good.

¿esquímaux?
09-10-2004, 05:10 AM
What? Duck was agitated and growling through the last half of that match.

growling? I heard a lot of quackin' but no growlin' :D:kiss::D

Tennis Fool
09-10-2004, 05:40 AM
I read that Roddick was doing laps under Ashe stadium after stalking off.

Mechlan
09-10-2004, 05:45 AM
Roddick is generally gracious after matches, both with his opponents and in post match interviews. But he irritates the hell out of me when he acts like a spoiled brat on the court. I can understand him arguing about the placement of the line judge, but snapping at those spectators and mocking the chair umpire the way he did was just flat out rude. There's no excuse for that kind of behavior. Sometimes I think tennis should be more like basketball - argue with the umpire excessively, they simply slam you a technical. Of course, that can only happen when the umps become more accurate with the line-calling...

Kiara
09-10-2004, 07:29 AM
it was sooo hilarious that they zoomed in on his face when he was mocking the ump, my cousin used to do that to people...then he turned 6 and grew up :p

Vladimir Poutine
09-10-2004, 08:22 AM
That's what happens when you have to pay $25 for beer at the US Open :ignore:

And that is not full strength either.

Andy was trying to intimidate the officials, since when do outstanding sportspeople try to do that.

I don't think he seriously thought he could be beaten by Joachim, and in the end, he had to concede that he was outgunned and didn't convert his break point chances often enough.

MrM
09-10-2004, 08:47 AM
Nice semi-comeback by Andy. At least it made the match more interesting.

heya
09-10-2004, 09:40 AM
These delirious posters sure are quick with their "facts" again.

sigma bitched? I did NOT know that.

Vladimir Poutine
09-10-2004, 09:43 AM

I know you couldn't make sense with two posts in a row.

2Tough4Men
09-10-2004, 09:55 AM
I find it funny how people are so quick to criticize tennis players for the slightest infractions .... it's far far far far far more intense and egregious in baseball, football, hockey, basketball, etc. A guy can't throw a racquet without gaining a reputation for a hot head. The players are not angels ... and it is maddening to lose a tennis match, especially one so important as this. The standards of behavior tennis has for its players are too high. Of course, you don't want audible expletives, but so what if Andy busts a racquet, or Kiefer hits a ball into the stands (so long as it's not right at somebody)?

drf716
09-10-2004, 10:14 AM
andy is a great sport...NOT!

heya
09-10-2004, 10:44 AM
Your "facts" made sense. Obsessed much, Pout?

joeb_uk
09-10-2004, 11:45 AM
andy acted a jerk all match with his whining about calls, and his twirpy little sarcastic faces that he always pulls.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 11:46 AM

sigma bitched? I did NOT know that.

The "fact" remains that duck lost. Get over it, and on with it. That's hardly a delirious statement.

I knew, heya, that you could never make sense but once when you post, so I won't bother playing Captain Obvious here.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-10-2004, 12:29 PM
Andy was just showing more of his bratty side than usual, then again that happens when things don't go your way, you tend to find out more about people when they are under pressure or things aren't going that well.

liptea
09-10-2004, 12:53 PM

They'll find a way.
Al: Well today we have Tim Henman, the guy that has tried for over a million years to win Wimbledon.
Pat McEnroe: You know, Agassi's won Wimbledon. Andy was in the final, he lost to Roger.
Al: Speaking of Roger...
Pat: Roddick beat him last year, and we all know he can do it again.
Al: Well, I was going to say that he managed to overcome Andre's blistering tennis ability that matches his own.
Pat: That's true. You know, I think Agassi's one of the greatest players of all time.
*both think carefully*
Pat: Let's pretend it's raining and play Agassi vs. Ivanisevic instead of the semifinals. And the we can replay that godawful Krickstein vs. Connors match.

Forget the US Open. I'm waiting to see how they're promoting Gaudio for the Masters Cup.

Richard Cranium
09-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Forget the US Open. I'm waiting to see how they're promoting Gaudio for the Masters Cup.

Wouldn't they be like Gaudio who?

tennischick
09-10-2004, 12:57 PM
I read that Roddick was doing laps under Ashe stadium after stalking off.
that's bec the cameras were trailing him and he needed to put on some kind of face-saving display :devil:

heya
09-10-2004, 01:22 PM
sigma, let's have trolls in David's threads.
You have typos and it looks senseless too. Should I point that out repeatedly?
I hope you realize that no fan represents anyone. I don't get emotional and obsessed over David either.
Do you need enemies here? Maybe, I'll tell you to "get over it" after David's losses too.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 01:24 PM
Honey, we HAD a troll (an Andy troll, in fact, over on David's forum not too long ago), and I fought it off in bitch girl fashion.

Next time, try to make sense. Other than that, have a good day.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Heya, I wonder how much Duckland is paying you to make up the nonsense you make up? I sure hope no one over there is going broke-like most of them did when they pooled together to bet 12486 vcash on Roddick....

Richard Cranium
09-10-2004, 01:30 PM
Andy was pouting around the court, like someone stole his bicycle and threw it in the river.

Mrs. B
09-10-2004, 01:44 PM
Andy was pouting around the court, like someone stole his bicycle and threw it in the river.

:lol: a la Donald Duck pout?

heya
09-10-2004, 02:44 PM
sigma,
Have we seen a fun discussion here that doesn't have mud-slinging???
Crazy stuff I posted have nothing to do with anyone else. I'm insane & don't you forget it.
If you know me, it wouldn't matter who I like. I don't care what other people do.
I might like the same players that you like. :angel:

I was called "non-human" & vulgar names. If you think that makes sense, then :smash:.
If I viciously mocked people, there'd be an uproar.

sigmagirl91
09-10-2004, 03:05 PM
sigma,
Have we seen a fun discussion here that doesn't have mud-slinging???
Crazy stuff I posted have nothing to do with anyone else. I'm insane & don't you forget it.
If you know me, it wouldn't matter who I like. I don't care what other people do.
I might like the same players that you like. :angel:

I was called "non-human" & vulgar names. If you think that makes sense, then :smash:.
If I viciously mocked people, there'd be an uproar.

That doesn't change the fact that you're "special", in bad need of some English grammar lessons.
Oh, and I've been called everything but a saint in here, and ask me if I care....

*Ljubica*
09-10-2004, 03:05 PM

:haha: :haha:

SanTaureau Fan
09-10-2004, 03:26 PM
I just saw the match and it's great that he told people to be quiet between the first and second serve at 4 all in the fifth.

Except that, it was just a normal match. Nothing to suggest he's a great sport and nothing wrong with the way he acted.

tangerine_dream
09-10-2004, 06:28 PM

I noticed that too---Andy trying to shush the crowd when they cheered Pim's DF. I thought that was very classy of him. Andy always does cool things like that. :hatoff: to him. :D