Hewitt mashes Haas 6-2 6-2 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Hewitt mashes Haas 6-2 6-2 6-2

Haasfan
09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
This match was very painful to watch. I really dont know what was wrong with Tommy today, he just got pasted. I just have no understanding or explanation for this match. I must admit, Hewitt played very well, and really never gave Tommy a chance, but everyone was predicting this match to be close, no procession, and yet it was.........

I know the wind, but Hewitt had to play in the wind as well, does anyone have an explanation for this non-event??

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
I don't mean to gloat but I knew this match wouldn't be close.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=761417&postcount=4

Hewitt was just his determined self settled down and handled the conditions very well and Haas was gone early.

Gonzo Hates Me!
09-09-2004, 10:47 PM
I am amazed with how well Hewitt didnt let that horrible wind phase him! Yes, for Tommy, it was sad, but I am very happy for Lleyton. I am very happy for Roger, and Henman. THis is a nice tournament so far :)

BaselineSmash
09-09-2004, 10:49 PM
Haas just self-pityingly refused to adapt to the conditions. Given the occassion, I think this could be the most pathetic display I have ever seen from a tennis player, the wind nothwithstanding.

Neely
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
COME ON!!!!!!!!!!! :clap2:

too bad that I couldn't see it live as I was away the evening, but I taped the match and will watch it now.

Lleyton is so much on fire, awesome!

Congrats Lleyton, amazing win and amazing comeback the whole year long already! :yeah:

too bad the next match could be already Roddick vs Hewitt, it would like to have this one as the final! :(

sol
09-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Hewitt was the best so far out there. Well done, Lleyton! :D

Neely
09-09-2004, 10:52 PM
Haas just self-pityingly refused to adapt to the conditions. Given the occassion, I think this could be the most pathetic display I have ever seen from a tennis player, the wind nothwithstanding.
no, this must have been Melzer against Spadea in Athens ;)

Knockers LaBroad
09-09-2004, 10:55 PM
That was really impressive stuff! :eek:

Well done Lleyton!

BTW, I don't watch a lot of Haas matches, but does he always have a negative attitude or just today? (no diss, just an observation)

BaselineSmash
09-09-2004, 10:55 PM
no, this must have been Melzer against Spadea in Athens ;)

I'll stick with my first choice. ;) This was the quarter-finals of the US Open, after all.

Mechlan
09-09-2004, 10:56 PM
I am amazed with how well Hewitt didnt let that horrible wind phase him! Yes, for Tommy, it was sad, but I am very happy for Lleyton. I am very happy for Roger, and Henman. THis is a nice tournament so far :)

This is a fantastic tournament so far. Hmm, now that Roddick, though... :(

Go Lleyton!
And great wins Roger and Tim!

fifiricci
09-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Tommy is a Haas been! Way to go Lleyts :devil:

Neely
09-09-2004, 10:59 PM
BTW, I don't watch a lot of Haas matches, but does he always have a negative attitude or just today? (no diss, just an observation)
no, not necessarily, but when he is not content with his game he does always a lot of swearing and today I'm sure that he knew exactly before he stepped on the court that he will be outgunned by Hewitt. Not much Tommy could do about that. That did just add to his "negative attitude".

Yashirobai
09-09-2004, 11:00 PM
I wouldn´t say I am a Hewitt fan and actually I don't even like him, but I really admire the strong comeback he's making this year from his awfull 2003. I think he deserves to reach another Grand Slam final. Besides, I don´t want Roddick to defend the title...

SLICK
09-09-2004, 11:02 PM
Hewitt kicks Tommy's (H)"ass" would be an apt headline for the sports page of tomorrows dailys. Lleyton was in total kick-ass mode. Can't wait for Hewitt vs Johansson showdown on Super Saturday. :drool:

lucashg
09-09-2004, 11:05 PM
I don't think Haas was that bad, not until the 3rd set - but he kept losing crucial points to either confirm his service or break Hewitt's, couldn't win like that. And then, his mentality is a strong weapon against him any day. And Lleyton Hewitt's in great shape - focused, determined and playing amazingly (even with all that wind!). So, his victory was nothing but deserved.

At least the most beautiful point of that match (and possibly from all tournament so far) was Haas'.

Crazy_Fool
09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Great match Lleyton!!

I would love to see Hewitt-Roddick :hearts:

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 11:10 PM
That was the best I have seen Hewitt play in a while, outstanding he was today.

Jogy
09-09-2004, 11:15 PM
Tommy can be glad already with his season and what he achieved so far. He has nothing to prove anymore.
He came back from an injury, from a 15 month layoff, what would mean to many the end of their career, he has won 2 titles this year. Just the fifth tournament he played after making his cameback was already a title, that's just amazing and he is on the best way back to where he belongs: being ranking-wise a TOP player!

that's amazing, Tommy! :worship:
and the season isn't even over ;)

best wishes to Lleyton! He played very well!

Billabong
09-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Lleyton:yeah:!
Tommy:sad:! What a terrible match!

Jennay
09-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Amazing display of tennis from Lleyton, handling the conditions beautifully :worship:

Too bad for Tommy though, he was a mess out there. :sad:

Fedex
09-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Tommy blowed today big time :mad: :o :rolleyes: Damn wind. The way the Johansson match is going, Hewitt has an excelent chance to make the finals

Fedex
09-10-2004, 03:50 AM
Great match Lleyton!!

I would love to see Hewitt-Roddick :hearts:
Since when are you a roddick fan. :confused:
It is a great matchup though

Space Cowgirl
09-10-2004, 12:11 PM
The wind really ruined what could have been a good match. Pity Haas allowed it to put him off. He seemed like he was finally getting somewhere towards the end, but at 2-5 down in the third it's really too late ;)
Now hopefully Johansson will mash the Spud properly :devil:

Auscon
09-10-2004, 02:08 PM
Phenomenal!

I gotta say, I dont think Lleyton will mind if that gail force wind is back for his semi, and hopefully, final

He handled that better than anyone couldve

10 unforced errors in those kind of conditions....incredible...his passing shots were on fire

Meanwhile, in the same conditions Federer raced out to 56 unforced errors (still very lopsided even when taking into consideration he played 2 more sets)

And Haas was serving at 73% of first serves

Lleyton just knew what to do with the wind, used it to his advantage, forced Haas to go for his shots when the wind was behind him, and draw the unforced errors

I remember Neely saying a couple of times in another thread that Haas would get pounded......I didnt doubt that Lleyton would win, but I thought it would be a close one...you were right on the money Neely :clap2:

Richard Cranium
09-10-2004, 02:14 PM
Haas showed as much as backbone as a jellyfish.

To be fair Hewitt adapted to the conditions very well and therefore deserved his very comprehensive win.

Crazy_Fool
09-10-2004, 02:16 PM
Since when are you a roddick fan. :confused:
It is a great matchup though
I'm not a Roddick fan, I just thought that would be a great match. Too bad it didn't happen

Auscon
09-10-2004, 02:20 PM
I'm not a Roddick fan, I just thought that would be a great match. Too bad it didn't happen

Still, now we get the same type of fight against a big serve, with the added bonus of family ties :)