RG QF Nadal defeats Almagro 7-6 7-6 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG QF Nadal defeats Almagro 7-6 7-6 6-4

Surcouf
06-02-2010, 05:36 PM
Awful from Nadal. 35 UE's, forehand and backhand being dead, unable to return Almagro.

There are no progress in his game. Rounds afters rounds this is the same bad play. Why can't he play well here? Is he injured like last year?

He has not played a good match since the beginning of the tournament. I start to have doubts on his ability to get his level of plays. back for the latest rounds.

Johnny Groove
06-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Shut up, Surcouf.

You've been saying he's playing like crap since the 1st round and he's into the SF w/o dropping a set :rolleyes:

Almagro was stunning today, Nadal had to play some ridiculous defense at times and played better in the breakers, when it mattered most. I liked when Nadal s/v on break point down :yeah:

scarecrows
tennis made a few steps backwards compared to yesterday

very bad from Nadal, very bad from Almagro who made the worst performance on BH return I've ever seen (probably Bolelli has had similar stats)
Nadal was doing S/V, can you imagine

FedererBulgaria
Almagro the BETTER player today

Smoke944
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Result NID. Fairly good effort from Almagro, though(relative to his score in the QF 2 years ago).

Roamed
06-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Nadal isn't playing at his MC or RG 08 level, but he's still managed to escape every tight situation he's found himself in which is encouraging I guess :shrug: Still can't imagine anyone stopping him except for Soderling but there's no guarantee Soderling will get past Berdych who's been playing very well too.

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Closer than expected.

LocoPorElTenis
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Mugro redefined the expression "bend over". Still good tournie for him. Pretty bad from Nadal from what I saw.

rafa_maniac
06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Yikes, that was tight. Rafa was pretty darn bad in the first set, but picked it up just in time and was once again the far better player in the pressure moments in the next two sets. Credit to Almagro, he fought all the way but Nadal found some good form in the end. Won't be enough to get the job done against Soderling, but he still has some time to find another couple of gears.

LleytonMonfils
06-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Soderling is going to win this title

Pirata.
06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Almugro showed up when it mattered. Result was NID although I assumed Mugro might manage to take a set.

If we get a Soderling-Nadal final, I think Sod will take it.

Edith09
06-02-2010, 05:41 PM
Not very convincing from Nadal :(

acionescu
06-02-2010, 05:47 PM
I didn't like Rafa's game at all, but a win is a win :) I can't see him beating Soderling with this form( if he gets that far, that is :o)

Sunset of Age
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Congrats, Rafa! :hatoff:
A match a lot tighter than many expected. Almagro had a blistering start, applying the correct tactics, Rafa a slow one, and it remained very very tight all along the way. Rafa eventually raised his level during the TBs, hence the result.

Kudos to Almagro for not 'bending over/trowing the towel' when it became very clear that the match wouldn't be going his way, whatever he tried out. Kept on fighting till the bitter (for him, that is :angel:) end. I think he's grown a lot as a player, mostly mentally, and he'll be a genuine force to recon with in the near future.

Nadal isn't playing at his MC or RG 08 level, but he's still managed to escape every tight situation he's found himself in which is encouraging I guess :shrug:

It's one of those things that defines the VERY great champions: even when playing subpar, still managing to pull out the victory, mostly because of being so fantastic on playing the Big Points. Well done, Rafa! :D

Still can't imagine anyone stopping him except for Soderling but there's no guarantee Soderling will get past Berdych who's been playing very well too.

If Soderling OR Berdych manage to keep up their level of playing, either one of them has a very good chance.
IF being the key word here, of course. ;)

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-02-2010, 05:48 PM
Almagro played his best, yet not enough to beat Rafa

Vamos Rafa win RG

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Another win for Nadal, as his countryman bended over for him in the tiebreaks. Result was NID I guess.

connectolove
06-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Almagro put out a good fight. I am truly concerned about Nadal if he has to play Soderling. But my heart goes with Nadal.

vn01
06-02-2010, 05:50 PM
Not so bad.VAMOS RAFA

spanish_army
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Rafa is increasing his level match to match. All is ready for the final.

VAMOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Almagro did try his best. I think we have to given him credit here. He was never going to win that match. but he really tried.

Nadal just better in the important points :worship:

Nadal is not at his best but he will the title anyway if does not run into a red hot Söderling.

Topspin Forehand
06-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Nadal won. I blame Almagro along with the faster courts why Nadal struggled. Unfortunately, Soderling will do the same but he will not be so mentally weak like Almagro.

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Nadal won. I blame Almagro along with the faster courts why Nadal struggled. Unfortunately, Soderling will do the same but he will not be so mentally weak like Almagro.
Nadal struggled because he was palying rubbish. Not because of the court :rolleyes:

Priam
06-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Nico doing his best Soderling impression there. IMO a lot of the errors of Rafa were forced by the aggressive play of Almagro. Fix the bh and fh.

Nadal s&v on clay?!

Johnny Groove
06-02-2010, 06:00 PM
Yeah, Nadal played like shit cause he didn't win 6-0 6-1 or play like 2008 :rolleyes:

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 06:02 PM
People should calm down a bit here. Nadal has not even dropped a set here and run into some hot players. can't win 6:1 all the time.

Deivid23
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
very bad from Nadal, very bad from Almagro who made the worst performance on BH return I've ever seen (probably Bolelli has had similar stats)
Nadal was doing S/V, can you imagine

Looks like you´ve discovered today Almagro. He´s always been a crap returner, but today he played a good match

Surcouf
06-02-2010, 06:04 PM
People should calm down a bit here. Nadal has not even dropped a set here and run into some hot players. can't win 6:1 all the time.

Who?

Chair Umpire
06-02-2010, 06:05 PM
Yeah, Nadal played like shit cause he didn't win 6-0 6-1 or play like 2008 :rolleyes:

He's not playing like he did from 2004 to 2008. You have to admit it. :o

off-topic: Melzer broke Djoko's serve in the 5th set. :cool:

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 06:07 PM
Who?

Almagro and Hewitt did play well.

Topspin Forehand
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Nadal struggled because he was palying rubbish. Not because of the court :rolleyes:

His topspin was getting destroyed. It's not going to win him RG anymore. He has to play attack first tennis like on hardcourts. That is not a comfortable style for him like we've seen countless times on hardcourts.

Johnny Groove
He's not playing like he did from 2004 to 2008. You have to admit it. :o

off-topic: Melzer broke Djoko's serve in the 5th set. :cool:

You're right.

At RG:

In 2005, he lost one set getting into the SF
In 2006, he lost two sets getting into the SF
In 2007, he lost 0 sets getting into the SF
In 2008, he lost 0 sets getting into the SF

So, better than 05-06, equal with 07-08.

RedFury
Great run to the semis w/out losing a set...and yet The Usual Suspects are griping about Rafa's game.

He is also going to face a very tired opponent come the semi's (likely Melzer who's serving to end the marathon match)so things are looking good.

Vamos Rafa! Y con un par!

Sunset of Age
06-02-2010, 06:14 PM
You're right.

At RG:

In 2005, he lost one set getting into the SF
In 2006, he lost two sets getting into the SF
In 2007, he lost 0 sets getting into the SF
In 2008, he lost 0 sets getting into the SF

So, better than 05-06, equal with 07-08.

You know perfectly well that the outcome/scores of a match don't tell all of the story. ;)

Johnny Groove
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
You know perfectly well that the outcome/scores of a match don't tell all of the story. ;)

So you think Melzer is going to beat him? :p

Sunset of Age
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
So you think Melzer is going to beat him? :p

:haha: no way, man. (barring injury, of course)

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Nadal is alook for the final now. No way Meltzer gonna beat him. No way.

Guy Haines
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
A Nadal win thread fogged by whiny stuff from haters and lovers alike: never in doubt.

Karin's said what she thinks. Johnny Charmer and Chair Umpire, you've been sensible (and good call on Melzer, Chair Umpire). How do you fancy his chances? Do you think he has yet to peak, or is he just not what he used to be -- and perhaps the courts not what they used to be :) -- and thus very vulnerable?

Johnny Charmer, I'm not rolling my eyes about your remark regarding Nadal's serve. Well-placed serves on key/break points were key to Nadal's game in 2007-2008. Because doesn't hit aces people disregard it.

Certinfy
06-02-2010, 06:28 PM
No way is Nadal winning RG playing like this!

ReturnWinner
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Now Nadull will play a tired and surely nervous Melzer , then in the final likely a typical nervous first slam finalist Berdych :o.

Chair Umpire
06-02-2010, 06:31 PM
LOL @ Rafahaters believing in a jinx. :lol:

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I have to revide my earlier statement about Nadal being a lock for the title. He's clearly beatable if he keeps this level of play going, even though the outcome of this match was never in doubt.

I doubt a knackered Melzer can make him pay for playing at 70-80 % of his prime capability either, but good luck to him. The final is where it should get really interesting.

Certinfy
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Almugro u idiot! Had u taken this shit we would be certain of a new GS champion! :mad:

peribsen
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
Mugro redefined the expression "bend over". Still good tournie for him. Pretty bad from Nadal from what I saw.

Mugro just lost his 17th consecutive match against top-5, yet you insist he bends over every time he falls to nr2? Don't be such a clown, who are you trying to fool?

l_mac
06-02-2010, 06:34 PM
tennis made a few steps backwards compared to yesterday

:lol:

At least the clay slam will have a real clay courter in the SF this year :yeah:

Great TBs from Rafa :worship: Too many UEs. Served better.

feuselino
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
The game at 4-4 in the third from Almagro... yikes!
Can't see Melzer causing any troubles for Nadal, to be honest. But this tournament had its fare share of surprises so far, so why not?

Myrre
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Almagro is so predictable it's not even funny. Every time it gets close he just folds. Another cakewalk draw for Nadal. Doesn't have to play anyone in the top 20 to reach the final. Nadal is playing lots of balls short which is great news for Sĝderling should they meet in the final.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Utterly predictable borefest & now it's Melzer in the semis. Time for Berdych or Soderling to step up to the plate.

Arkulari
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
this was NID, but at least Almagro didn't bend over like he usually does, he lost but did what he could, it wasn't Rafa's best match but he didn't need to do more

Melzer fought well against Nole but must be exhausted and will not be a match for Rafa

peribsen
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Almagro is so predictable it's not even funny. Every time it gets close against any of the top 5, not just Nadal,he just folds. Another cakewalk draw for Nadal, given that all the top guys keep failing to make it.

Corrected, Myrre, now it's far more credible! :p

RedFury
06-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Utterly predictable borefest & now it's Melzer in the semis. Time for Berdych or Soderling to step up to the plate.

Bring 'em on! There's only ONE undefeated player on clay this year -- and it ain't either one of those.

20-0...and counting.

Enjoy. :wavey:

rafa_maniac
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
In amongst all the whining about poor form, has anyone noticed that Nadal has won TWENTY consecutive matches now and lost TWO sets in those matches? Clearly not good enough...

DrJules
06-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Awful from Nadal. 35 UE's, forehand and backhand being dead, unable to return Almagro.

There are no progress in his game. Rounds afters rounds this is the same bad play. Why can't he play well here? Is he injured like last year?

He has not played a good match since the beginning of the tournament. I start to have doubts on his ability to get his level of plays. back for the latest rounds.

In amongst all the whining about poor form, has anyone noticed that Nadal has won TWENTY consecutive matches now and lost TWO sets in those matches? Clearly not good enough...

Are we talking about the same player.

green25814
06-02-2010, 06:53 PM
This was a horrible match.

Nadal should lose to Soderling/Berdych.

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 06:54 PM
Are we talking about the same player.

Nadal hasn't exactly needed to play stellar for his standards to get by the opponents he has faced here so far.

RagingLamb
06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Ugly match. Terrible from both.

I fell asleep in the second set. Literally.

l_mac
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM
Nadal hasn't exactly needed to play stellar for his standards to get by the opponents he has faced here so far.

Reminds me of Fed's run last year, except Rafa hasn't had to rely on choking from his opponents. :yeah:

Sunset of Age
06-02-2010, 07:00 PM

This. :shrug:
To be clear, this is no way any of a 'fault' of Rafa's - one can only defeat players that appear on the other side of the net. Whoever 'ain't there', doesn't count, just like it didn't count last year either. ;)

green25814
06-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Please. Rafa was leaving it a little late to 'raise his game' today. If Mugro wasn't such a clown, he could've won this match.

l_mac
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Please. Rafa was leaving it a little late to 'raise his game' today. If Mugro wasn't such a clown, he could've won this match.

But he wasn't leaving it late. Dominated both tiebreaks, only faced 2 bps the entire match ... :shrug: Won in straights.

moon language
06-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Bad start from Nadal but he pulled it together. Almagro is one of the only people to take a set off Nadal this clay season so the tightness of this match is no surprise.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Rafa did what he needed to once again. When he needs to step it up, he will. He did well in the tiebreaks to win them, the end of the third was more Almagro collapsing. Rafa is so much better than anyone else in the draw that he can play mediocre and he isn't going to lose a set to the final at least, and I sure don't see Berdych or Robin beating him.

It's time for people to give the man credit. He's on another planet on this surface. No-one has shown they can beat him on clay when he's healthy. Most players are beaten the second they step on the court with him on the surface.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Reminds me of Fed's run last year, except Rafa hasn't had to rely on choking from his opponents. :yeah:

Soderling, Del Potro, Monfils, Haas, & probably even Mathieu & Acasuso, are ALL better than anybody Nadal has played this R.G. - at least now that Hewitt is a walking hip replacement.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Not really. He only had 2 break points. Nadal was always in control. He dominated the tiebreaks, he won the big points. That's all that matters. Rafa can play at 80% and beat pretty much all but a handful of players on clay anyway.

green25814
06-02-2010, 07:11 PM
But he wasn't leaving it late. Dominated both tiebreaks, only faced 2 bps the entire match ... :shrug: Won in straights.

He dominated the tiebreakers, yes, but there were numerous 30/30s and deuces on Nadal's serve, where Almagro had short balls he'd fail to put away, etc. He definitely should've won the first set. Played appallingly.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:12 PM
No way is Nadal winning RG playing like this!
Whose gonna beat him?

l_mac
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Soderling, Del Potro, Monfils, Haas, & probably even Mathieu & Acasuso, are ALL better than anybody Nadal has played this R.G. - at least now that Hewitt is a walking hip replacement.

Spectacular :haha:

l_mac
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
He dominated the tiebreakers, yes, but there were numerous 30/30s and deuces on Nadal's serve, where Almagro had short balls he'd fail to put away, etc. He definitely should've won the first set. Played appallingly.

Numerous 30-30s!!!!! :eek: :speakles: OMG Rafa has practically ROBBED him!!

Rafa came out nervous, played an appalling first service game, then calmed down. He wasn't playing great most of the match. but well enough to get chances on Almagro's serve and protect his own. In the TBs he stepped up to a level that Almagro couldn't compete with.

The Magician
06-02-2010, 07:17 PM
I can't blame Almagro for choking too much. The gamesmanship and cheating by Nadal, even against his own countrymen, has to wear on you after a while mentally. Playing against Nadal on a clay court is hard enough, playing against the umpire who refuses to enforce the rules and trying to keep concentration between points for up to 40 seconds is near impossible. It really is an embarrassment for tennis, on the level of screaming in the WTA.

Btw anyone who says it's the ump's fault and not Nadal's, Nadal knew full well what he was doing. He went to get a new racket for no legitimate reason at 1st set 4-5 30-30 Almagro's serve, which is really low.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Why do people think this match in any way has anything to do with Soderling beating Nadal in the final? Newsflash, Robin hasn't beaten Berdych yet and Nadal hasn't lost a set and is on 3rd gear. Rafa is still the clear favorite to win the title, especially if Robin and Tomas play a long drawn out match, compared to Rafa having a likely easy match with Melzer. This match isn't in any way indicative of what could happen if he plays Soderling. Different opponent, different situation, higher level of importance and stress. Lay off the bandwagoning for a bit.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:19 PM

So basically, Rafa won the big points. That's what champions do. They win the big points.

rafa_maniac
06-02-2010, 07:19 PM
The real question here is exactly who Nadal is supposed to beat on clay to "prove" himself to some of these people? (as if a 4 time RG champion had anything left to prove). Federer who he leads 9-2 on clay and has beaten him already this year? Djokovic, 9-0? Murray? Don't make me laugh... It's really only Soderling and he may yet have to get through him if he is to win here, so... :shrug:

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 07:20 PM

It actually reminds me more of Nadal's own run last year. :lol:

He may yet raise his game and win the tournament without dropping a set, but if he doesn't the outcome of an eventual final will not be in his hands.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-02-2010, 07:21 PM
The same mistakes from Nadal will have the same consequences. Last year he overplayed, gave insipid performances at RG and was hit off the court by Soderling. This year he's overplayed again, is giving insipid performances again and is going to get hit off the court by Soderling again. He should have skipped Madrid.

I haven't seen Berdych playing so I don't know what's going to happen in the top half SF but if Soderling gets through it's looking like game over for Nadal, unless either he raises his game or Soderling goes off the boil. 4-1 for Soderling to win the title looks like easy money (although he will probably lose to Berdych if I put any money on!)

oz_boz
06-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Rafa on clay nowadays looks a bit like Fed 2007 - virtually beatable but steps up when needed to, and an aura of invincibility that makes the opponent play tight (or as some like to put it, choke) when having a possiblity to turn the table.

He will not look as impressive as 2008 but could very well win the tournament with out the loss of a set -especially if the final opponent is Berdych (yes, I am actually counting on Melzer getting beaten in straights, believe it or not).

Lopez
06-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Why do people think this match in any way has anything to do with Soderling beating Nadal in the final? Newsflash, Robin hasn't beaten Berdych yet and Nadal hasn't lost a set and is on 3rd gear. Rafa is still the clear favorite to win the title, especially if Robin and Tomas play a long drawn out match, compared to Rafa having a likely easy match with Melzer. This match isn't in any way indicative of what could happen if he plays Soderling. Different opponent, different situation, higher level of importance and stress. Lay off the bandwagoning for a bit.

I'll be watching the final at RG on Sunday and we'll see what happens. Rooting for winner of Berdych/Söderling, though hope it's Söderling. Perhaps even Söderling/Nadal. Should Nadal lose, he's 100% fine this time, no?

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
The real question here is exactly who Nadal is supposed to beat on clay to "prove" himself to some of these people? (as if a 4 time RG champion had anything left to prove).

No, the question is which players are capable of forcing him out of 1st gear & giving him something resembling a test resulting in a tolerably interesting match. Answer - none of the mediocrities he has played so far. He doesn't have to "prove" himself on clay; everybody knows he's one of the greatest.

Mateya
06-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Watched and enjoyed it very much. :)

Mugro was great, aggressive most of the match and hitting many winners of both wings, while Rafito was very mediocre and made a lot of UE for his standards.
But when it came to the tiebreak, it was all Rafzilla out there, dominating the play, while Mugro tightened a bit.

If Nadal plays like this, Soderling will outgun him in 3 or 4 sets!

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:30 PM
The same mistakes from Nadal will have the same consequences. Last year he overplayed, gave insipid performances at RG and was hit off the court by Soderling. This year he's overplayed again, is giving insipid performances again and is going to get hit off the court by Soderling again. He should have skipped Madrid.

I haven't seen Berdych playing so I don't know what's going to happen in the top half SF but if Soderling gets through it's looking like game over for Nadal, unless either he raises his game or Soderling goes off the boil. 4-1 for Soderling to win the title looks like easy money (although he will probably lose to Berdych if I put any money on!)
Soderling will lose to Berdych so it really doesn't matter. If Rafa played Soderling, he is the clear favorite. He's the better clay court player.

Nadal didn't overplay, he barely played any long matches coming into the event and including this tournament. If anything he's the freshest he has been in years at this point. This match and all of the other matches Rafa has played so far has absolutely no bearing on the SF and potential F matches. If you think he wont step it up in the final then you have another thing coming.

The Magician
06-02-2010, 07:32 PM
No, the question is which players are capable of forcing him out of 1st gear & giving him something resembling a test resulting in a tolerably interesting match. Answer - none of the mediocrities he has played so far. He doesn't have to "prove" himself on clay; everybody knows he's one of the greatest.

This :yeah: Since this is a sport, the most important thing is what's good for tennis and the fans. Nadal getting though a clown draw playing poorly is simply bad for the tournament, especially if he wins. If you want to see spanish mugs choke against each other, go watch Barcelona. A GS is supposed to have a higher standard of play.

rafa_maniac
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Right, and those players are? Who in the draw for instance was playing better tennis than Almagro going into their match except perhaps the top half semifinalists whom Nadal will have to face [one of] anyway? Nadal was forced to come up with two very good TBs today, if nothing more.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll be watching the final at RG on Sunday and we'll see what happens. Rooting for winner of Berdych/Söderling, though hope it's Söderling. Perhaps even Söderling/Nadal. Should Nadal lose, he's 100% fine this time, no?

He's 100% fine, which means he isn't losing. People WANT to see him lose, make up crazy reasons why he will, think a 4th round or QF match somehow is indicative of how the FINAL will play out, but at the end of the day, he's the King of Clay. He's on top. He's #1. And he isn't going to be giving up his crown any time soon.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Spectacular :haha:

Mina, Zeballos, crippled Hewitt, Bellucci, Almagro, & Melzer - that's what I call spectacular.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:34 PM

The truth is, there isn't many players that are a test for Rafa. That's not his fault, he's just that much better than everyone else.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Soderling will lose to Berdych so it really doesn't matter. If Rafa played Soderling, he is the clear favorite. He's the better clay court player.

Nadal didn't overplay, he barely played any long matches coming into the event and including this tournament. If anything he's the freshest he has been in years at this point. This match and all of the other matches Rafa has played so far has absolutely no bearing on the SF and potential F matches. If you think he wont step it up in the final then you have another thing coming.

I'll quote this back at you when Soderling beats him. Have you been watching any of Robin's matches?

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Right, and those players are? Who in the draw for instance was playing better tennis than Almagro going into their match except perhaps the top half semifinalists whom Nadal will have to face [one of] anyway? Nadal was forced to come up with two very good TBs today, if nothing more.

I can think of a few players capable of giving Nadal a sterner test than Almagro. A lot of people step it up against Nadal. If you want me to name names: Del Potro, Davydenko, Nalbandian (all absent), Djokovic, Soderling, Berdych, Federer, Ferrer, Gulbis, even Murray.

peribsen
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
I can't blame Almagro for choking too much. The gamesmanship and cheating by Nadal, even against his own countrymen, has to wear on you after a while mentally. Playing against Nadal on a clay court is hard enough, playing against the umpire who refuses to enforce the rules and trying to keep concentration between points for up to 40 seconds is near impossible. It really is an embarrassment for tennis, on the level of screaming in the WTA.

Btw anyone who says it's the ump's fault and not Nadal's, Nadal knew full well what he was doing. He went to get a new racket for no legitimate reason at 1st set 4-5 30-30 Almagro's serve, which is really low.

Oh for heaven's sakes! You take the word hater into unchartered grounds.

Lopez
06-02-2010, 07:40 PM
He's 100% fine, which means he isn't losing. People WANT to see him lose, make up crazy reasons why he will, think a 4th round or QF match somehow is indicative of how the FINAL will play out, but at the end of the day, he's the King of Clay. He's on top. He's #1. And he isn't going to be giving up his crown any time soon.

Ah yes since he never does.

Expect to be ridiculed if he loses :yeah:. I'm not making any predictions. Hope that Robin wins.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:41 PM
I'll quote this back at you when Soderling beats him. Have you been watching any of Robin's matches?
Yeah. I have. Nadal isn't Federer, Cilic, Montanes, etc. He's a different animal. It's a different opponent, different day, different situation. Soderling is not in the final yet, so people need to chill. I mean, I know a lot of people dislike Nadal so much, can't stand he dominates, and is so bitter that he can beat 95% of the tour on clay playing average, but it is what it is.

All I am saying is, nothing that has happened so far is an indication of how a potential Soderling vs. Nadal match will go.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Ah yes since he never does.

Expect to be ridiculed if he loses :yeah:. I'm not making any predictions. Hope that Robin wins.

Not on clay, he hasn't. Anything CAN happen. But it sure isn't likely.

I don't care if people ridicule me, it would mean that Berdych or Soderling is better on that day, they would have earned the victory. But neither have shown they can beat Nadal on clay when Nadal is 100%. Rafa is going to step it up. And when he steps it up, no-one has shown they can withstand it. I see no reason why that will change.

tennizen
06-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I thought other than the early portion of the first set, Nadal never looked to be in danger and seemed in control. Almagro was fighting but there was a sense of inevitability at the later stages of each set.

rafa_maniac
06-02-2010, 07:45 PM
I can think of a few players capable of giving Nadal a sterner test than Almagro. A lot of people step it up against Nadal. If you want me to name names: Del Potro, Davydenko, Nalbandian (all absent), Djokovic, Soderling, Berdych, Federer, Ferrer, Gulbis, even Murray.

3 of those people weren't in the draw as you stated, several of them weren't playing near good enough tennis this tournament to give Nadal that "test" you are after (one retired), and two of them he has yet to potentially face. I know it's fashionable to rip on Almagro for being one of Nadal's Spanish "bitches" after another loss, but two TB sets and a 6-4 set is about as "stepping it up" as it gets against Nadal on clay. The end result is almost always the same.

Lopez
06-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Not on clay, he hasn't. Anything CAN happen. But it sure isn't likely.

I don't care if people ridicule me, it would mean that Berdych or Soderling is better on that day, they would have earned the victory. But neither have shown they can beat Nadal on clay when Nadal is 100%. Rafa is going to step it up. And when he steps it up, no-one has shown they can withstand it. I see no reason why that will change.

You should play ACC doubles with Topspin Forehand.

Awesomeness.

The Magician
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Why not put your money where your mouth is. When SoderKING destroys Nadal in the final, proving both of your predictions about him wrong, I hope every post you make is word filtered to this statement and all your Vcash disappears. But I guess we'll see :wavey:

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
You should play ACC doubles with Topspin Forehand.

Awesomeness.
I wonder exactly what I am saying that is so ridiculous to you? I think it's pretty clear that Nadal is the best player left in the draw.

tennizen
06-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Y

All I am saying is, nothing that has happened so far is an indication of how a potential Soderling vs. Nadal match will go.

True. Another difference between last year and this year is that if they meet it will be in the final. Upsets are much more likely in the early stages of slams.

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 07:48 PM
If Nadal plays like this, Soderling will outgun him in 3 or 4 sets!

Presuming Söderling gets to the final and plays as determined and well as he did against Federer, yes, but none of that is certain. Berdych has yet to drop a set, and Nadal has way more experience of playing on this stage and turf than anyone else left in the draw. The more I see him play on clay the more I believe he's past his best, but the level he's at will still take some doing to bring down, and this is his backyard.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:48 PM
Why not put your money where your mouth is. When SoderKING destroys Nadal in the final, proving both of your predictions about him wrong, I hope every post you make is word filtered to this statement and all your Vcash disappears. But I guess we'll see :wavey:
Soderking will lose to Berdych. So, sort of makes the rest of your post moot.

Foxy
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM

:haha: :haha:

Soda is a fluke.
Del Potro is done.
Monfils is... Monfils.
Haas is at the age of my grand dad.
Mathieu is a mug.
Acasuso is a joke.

Lopez
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Soderking will lose to Berdych. So, sort of makes the rest of your post moot.

You must be a money making machine with all this power of prediction

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:59 PM
3 of those people weren't in the draw as you stated, several of them weren't playing near good enough tennis this tournament to give Nadal that "test" you are after (one retired), and two of them he has yet to potentially face. I know it's fashionable to rip on Almagro for being one of Nadal's Spanish "bitches" after another loss, but two TB sets and a 6-4 set is about as "stepping it up" as it gets against Nadal on clay. The end result is almost always the same.

Almagro did better than I expected, but Nadal played a lacklustre match & still won in straights. I know several of the players I mentioned were absent or playing shit - that's one of the things I'm complaining about. I want them there, playing well, & testing Nadal. I hope that's what happens in the final.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM

Soda is a fluke.
Del Potro is done.
Monfils is... Monfils.
Mathieu is a mug.
Acasuso is a joke.

Um, we're talking about last year.

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
MTF is so predictable it is not even funny anymore.

l_mac
06-02-2010, 08:04 PM
MTF is so predictable it is not even funny anymore.

Agreed.

I could write Sophocles' posts for him/her.

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM

Soda is a fluke.
Del Potro is done.
Monfils is... Monfils.
Mathieu is a mug.
Acasuso is a joke.

Keep up with the bullshit- Soda has proved himself by beating Fedal on clay and may well make another RG final.

There hasn't been a truly tough RG title draw since 2004 and 2005.

RedFury
06-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Watched and enjoyed it very much. :)

Mugro was great, aggressive most of the match and hitting many winners of both wings, while Rafito was very mediocre and made a lot of UE for his standards.
But when it came to the tiebreak, it was all Rafzilla out there, dominating the play, while Mugro tightened a bit.

If Nadal plays like this, Soderling will outgun him in 3 or 4 sets! -- bolding mine.

Winners:

Almagro: 37 Nadal: 34

UEs

Almagro: 44 Nadal: 34 (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day16/1124ms.html)

So that's a whole THREE more winners by Almagro against a "mediocre Rafito" who also made TEN less UEs.

Some people need to get to their opticians pronto....as in before Rafa's next match, so they can finally watch him play for real -- and not in their mind's eye.

ShotmaKer
06-02-2010, 08:10 PM
so straight sets win. got that one right too. i'm glad Almagro did put in a fight though.

RedFury
06-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Almagro did better than I expected, but Nadal played a lacklustre match & still won in straights. I know several of the players I mentioned were absent or playing shit - that's one of the things I'm complaining about. I want them there, playing well, & testing Nadal. I hope that's what happens in the final.

Some posters keep repeating this as some sort of mantra...but it simply isn't true! Fact is, Almagro played a heck of a match himself (one where he likely would have beaten anyone else left in the draw) and Nadal fended him off w/out losing a set.

End of.

Erica86
06-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Should Nadal win, you'll admit he is the current best player, no?

Clay Death
06-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Some posters keep repeating this as some sort of mantra...but it simply isn't true! Fact is, Almagro played a heck of a match himself (one where he likely would have beaten anyone else left in the draw) and Nadal fended him off w/out losing a set.

End of.

exactly right. almagro would have beaten soderling today with the way his game was going today.

people are not willing to give almagro any credit. he was on fire today.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 08:25 PM
37 winners / 43 errors is hardly a great performance, but it's probably the best Almagro can do against Nadal.

FormerRafaFan
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I thought it would go to 4, cuz Almagro is a good clay courter.. Glad Nadal kept it down to 3 even though he needed two TB's.

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 08:27 PM
exactly right. almagro would have beaten soderling today with the way his game was going today.

Hypothetical.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Agreed.

I'd rather you didn't, I have a reputation for style & insight to keep up. :p

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 08:28 PM
37 winners / 43 errors is hardly a great performance, but it's probably the best Almagro can do against Nadal.

Agreed. Cabezon isn't quite consistent enough to keep hitting the lines in this match-up.

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 08:30 PM
If I was a Nadal fan I'd be worried a little bit as he seems a step slower in the rallies- has all that grinding finally taken him down?

Up until 2008- a player had to paint the lines about 5 or 6 times against him to win a point on clay, but here, Fat Head needed 2, 3 at the most.

Chloe le Bopper
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Just based on this thread, you'd think that 90% of you had never seen either Nadal or Almagro play before. Which would be fine, but GAH.

l_mac
06-02-2010, 08:37 PM
If I was a Nadal fan I'd be worried a little bit as he seems a step slower in the rallies- has all that grinding finally taken him down?

Nadal fans are worried always.

Yes, he's a little slower and less willing to chase hard after every lost cause. He does have a history of knee problems. I don't know if you're aware of them, being as you're not a fan. I'm more worried about his mentality. He wants this RG far too much, he's very nervous.

Chloe le Bopper
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
I prefer Almagro when he's playing somebody he clearly doesn't give two shits about, and he gets all in-your-face obnoxious like. I approve of that ridiculous behaviour from him, and saw virtually none of it today. Boo.

I also miss the good old days when Nadal had two fans, and neither of us was retarded.

SetSampras
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Nadal doesnt have to play at peak 2008 level to win.. Nor should people expect that of him.. He doesnt have to play his best.. He just has to play better than everyone else is all

ShotmaKer
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM

although i agree, and i said that almagro did put in a great fight, he was way less impressive than yesterday's Soderling from my vantage point. W/UE ratio for Almagro today : 37/44 ; for Soderling yesterday : 49/42. Soderling would have ripped him apart with those blasting winners of him and those 200 kmh 2nd serves bombs.

JolánGagó
06-02-2010, 08:49 PM

You sound like a scratched Mechanic Turk, the chance of reading something new from you is practically zero.

RedFury
06-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Greg Garber's take on ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french10/columns/story?columnist=garber_greg&id=5241617). Which happens to agree with my own:

...What Almagro -- and the three other remaining semifinalists -- are up against was on display in the fifth game on Court Philippe Chatrier. Running at full speed to his right, Nadal tracked down a shot, stretched across his body and chipped a lefty backhand over the net, spun 360 degrees, then sprinted back the other way and ripped a lunging forehand winner. Both shots were struck off the court -- well outside the doubles lines. One shot later, Rafa got the match back on serve and Almagro had lost his advantage forever.

No evidence has emerged over the past 11 days that anyone but Nadal will leave wearing the crown. As if he needed any additional incentive, a victory will return him to the No. 1 ranking he first ran down two years ago.

In five matches so far, Nadal has yet to lose a set -- although he was extended to his first tiebreaker by Almagro. And, in shades of 2006-07, when he won 81 straight matches on clay, Rafa has won all 20 of his matches on clay this year. Moreover, he's dropped only two sets, one to Ernests Gulbis in Rome -- and one to Almagro in Rome...

Deivid23
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
I also miss the good old days when Nadal had two fans, and neither of us was retarded.

Becca:worship:

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Agreed.

That would make for a change :D

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 08:55 PM
You sound like a scratched Mechanic Turk, the chance of reading something new from you is practically zero.

ditto for you. surprise me just once ;)

Deivid23
Ugly match. Terrible from both.

I fell asleep in the second set. Literally.

lol at SuperManMods in here

andylovesaustin
Wow Rafa stepped it up in the tiebreakers! And :hatoff: to Almagro for playing as well as he did.

I am not at all sure about Rafa's confidence. For him to be "nervous" or he said he was nervous or something?

He dug in, but wow..

Anyway, as usual, Rafa did what he needed to do.

Congrats to Almagro for making it a match.

Billups85
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM

Yes, he's a little slower and less willing to chase hard after every lost cause. He does have a history of knee problems. I don't know if you're aware of them, being as you're not a fan. I'm more worried about his mentality. He wants this RG far too much, he's very nervous.

This.

MacTheKnife
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Almagro seems to know exactly how well he can play without winning.

ShotmaKer
06-02-2010, 09:03 PM

:lol:

andylovesaustin
06-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Almagro seems to know exactly how well he can play without winning.

:rolls:

I saw Rafa's interview right after the match...when he was talking about being nervous.

And apparently he had a "reminder" then an official warning for a time violation?

I think was taken aback a little bit by that, too.

But :hatoff: to the umpire for immediately setting the limits!
More officials should do that.

DuMa
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
im up for a shot clock for tennis :D

anyway props to almagro. made it a match but overall way too inconsistent on big points to offset Nadal.

Halba
06-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Soderling is going to win this title

no. nadal is just ridiculous on important points

out_here_grindin
06-02-2010, 09:26 PM
If Almagro could return 2nd serves worth anything he may have won.

born_on_clay
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
win it Rafa :D

Orka_n
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
NID Almugro, you shouldn't be allowed to play Nadal. Ever.

For Nadal, the real tournament starts now, with 2 matches left. Joke draw.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Nadal is the best, I laugh at his haters, Spain rocks, Franco gets a bad press, H2H matters more than slams, Federer is arrogant, Fedtards are ****s. Have I missed anything?

Guy Haines
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
Agreed.

I third you on the jadedness. Though I guess Chloe really wins out in terms of nostalgia.

Lalalovesong
06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Almagro played a good match. If you want to beat Nadal you have to play at your best the whole time, it's nearly imposible. This Almagro deserves a better ranking, I think he's a lot better than many other players in the top 18. However he's very unpredictable.

Nadal has to win this, 3 players left who are nowhere near his level.

ChinoRios4Ever
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
good effort Cabezón, good enough Rafa :yeah:

TheHawk
06-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Orka_n is right, Rafa's tournament starts now although I don't see Melzer keeping this level.

Rafa made way too many unforced errors today but maybe that was because he was experimenting ahead of the semi and final.

kindling
06-02-2010, 10:29 PM
wow, nadal in the semis at RG, sooooo exciting. jeez, snoozzzzzzzzzzzzz

straitup
06-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Almagro's starting to come on a lot more, seems a bit more consistent week in and week out than he used to be...but sadly Nadal was never going to lose this.

sheva07
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I like Magros groundies. Good quality.

JolánGagó
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Nadal is the best, I laugh at his haters, Spain rocks, Franco gets a bad press, H2H matters more than slams, Federer is arrogant, Fedtards are ****s. Have I missed anything?

You haven't even started, I doubt you could.

DrJules
06-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Up until 2008- a player had to paint the lines about 5 or 6 times against him to win a point on clay, but here, Fat Head needed 2, 3 at the most.

Nadal is going to beat Melzer in 3 sets and Soderling (Most likely) in 3 / 4 sets.

If I read your posts I would be crazy to so confident of the prediction.

Nadal has been in great form since being on clay winning 20 matches for the loss of 2 sets.

l_mac
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
^^ I didn't say anything about his form. Just that most Rafa fans accept that he is not chasing every single ball the way he used to.

He looks a lot better than last year.

FormerRafaFan
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
^^ I didn't say anything about his form. Just that most Rafa fans accept that he is not chasing every single ball the way he used to.

He looks a lot better than last year.

I agree with this. Sure, Rafa is not playing his best tennis at the moment, and it surely is not as good as 08. Still, he is playing much better than last year and even Nadal's average playing is too much to handle for most players. He hasn't dropped a set yet during RG.

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Nadal fans afraid from jinx, Other tards arent brave to say Nadal is the best.

Seriously guys Nadal was shaky in the first set but he was incredibly good in set 2 and 3, he outplayed very determined Almagro.

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-02-2010, 11:49 PM

Yup

But Almagro today played his best version of tennis, he played amazing that I said to myself okay he can win a set. Why can't you see that? I think the match is replayed many times so you can watch it again.

I hope Nadal wins RG and I believe he will, but he is far having an excellent clay season. Any way Nadal doesn't want to lose like last year cause he knows how bad it felt.

bayvalle
06-03-2010, 12:55 AM
Closer than expected.

The score was indeed close, but somehow, despite the seemingly fight-to-the-finish stance put up by Almagro, I wonder whether it was not all for show. For all they know, the fans could have been taken for a ride. Cannot trust these Spaniards anymore. It could be possible Verdasco wanted to 'extricate' himself from the 'plan' as early as he could. Let Almagro do the honors.

Mjau!
06-03-2010, 01:01 AM
The score was indeed close, but somehow, despite the seemingly fight-to-the-finish stance put up by Almagro, I wonder whether it was not all for show. For all they know, the fans could have been taken for a ride. Cannot trust these Spaniards anymore. It could be possible Verdasco wanted to 'extricate' himself from the 'plan' as early as he could. Let Almagro do the honors.

:yeah:

Har-Tru
06-03-2010, 01:03 AM

:yeah:

I am starting to grab popcorn every time I read MTF.

Mjau!
06-03-2010, 01:04 AM
Never trust a spanish athlete. We know how sneaky they can be when money and glory is on the line! :unsure:

Har-Tru
06-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Never trust a spanish athlete. We know how sneaky they can be when money and glory is on the line! :unsure:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/11/129181111279267216.jpg

Mjau!
06-03-2010, 01:19 AM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/5/11/129181111279267216.jpg

This could be interpreted as a compliment... So thank you! :)

Har-Tru
06-03-2010, 01:24 AM
This could be interpreted as a compliment... So thank you! :)

Yes, you just have to look at the cat's face.

:hatoff:

Mjau!
06-03-2010, 01:28 AM
Yes, you just have to look at the cat's face.

:hatoff:

Looks jealous to me... :shrug:

Har-Tru
06-03-2010, 01:30 AM
Looks jealous to me... :shrug:

:D

Mimi
06-03-2010, 01:32 AM
I didn't like Rafa's game at all, but a win is a win :) I can't see him beating Soderling with this form( if he gets that far, that is :o):banghead::banghead: me too. Roger with a better serve/return of serve could not beat Soldering, how could Rafa do this?:banghead::banghead:

HKz
06-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Well Almugro found a way to screw this up again. I mean he had a couple chances in the first set and was even up a break but made some very poor tactical errors and had some unforced errors at the wrong time to allow Nadal to get back into the set 3 or 4 times.

I left before the tiebreak, but I really thought it would of been at the very least a 4 set match... At least it wasn't 08's scoreline.

So I guess Nadal's path to the final has opened up. I mean Nadal is 2-0 against Melzer and both times they played, it was very one sided. So I don't see Nadal not making it to the final. Plus Melzer is most likely going to be playing with cold hands at least in the beginning of the match and he is going to feel a bit sore even though he does have a small break. Nadal is not the player you want to play against when you're nervous/tired.

But then again, this year's RG has been obviously much more surprising than previous years so what do I know.

andy neyer
06-03-2010, 02:15 AM
Expected bending-over from Mugro.

Sunset of Age
06-03-2010, 02:19 AM

Apparently you didn't watch the match.

A little bit of objectiveness (or at least an attempt to that) would be most welcome.

andy neyer
06-03-2010, 02:27 AM
Apparently you didn't watch the match.

A little bit of objectiveness (or at least an attempt to that) would be most welcome.

I watched Melzer-Djokovic instead as I already knew that Nadal was going to beat Mugro.

As I said before the match took place, the result was never in doubt. Even if Nadal happens to play his worst match ever, I knew Mugro won't win. He's actually a very good player (I love his game, tbh) but totally lacks the mental fortitude recquired to beat his hero. When you admire the player you are playing against (Almagro's case), it becomes almost impossible to come through as the winner. Thus, Almagro had already lost this match even before it started. He had lost it in his mind.

Fiberlight1
06-03-2010, 02:34 AM
I watched Melzer-Djokovic instead as I already knew that Nadal was going to beat Mugro.

As I said before the match took place, the result was never in doubt. Even if Nadal happens to play his worst match ever, I knew Mugro won't win. He's actually a very good player (I love his game, tbh) but totally lacks the mental fortitude recquired to beat his hero. When you admire the player you are playing against (Almagro's case), it becomes almost impossible to come through as the winner. Thus, Almagro had already lost this match even before it started. He had lost it in his mind.

How can you make these assumptions if you didn't watch the match? Almagro was killing the ball.. he just couldn't get it by Nadal.

andy neyer
06-03-2010, 03:12 AM
How can you make these assumptions if you didn't watch the match? Almagro was killing the ball.. he just couldn't get it by Nadal.

Because I know Almugro.

The scoreline suggests that it was a match in 3 very disputed sets but even so the end result wasn't in doubt. Notice that I'm not saying that Almagro didn't play well (he probably did given the close scoreline) but I'm saying that Almagro can't handle the pressure of beating Nadal. He could have been 2 sets up and I'd have still thought that he wasn't going to win. He admires Nadal too much to beat the self-imposed pressure that preludes a possible victory over him.

moon language
06-03-2010, 03:24 AM
Because I know Almugro.

The scoreline suggests that it was a match in 3 very disputed sets but even so the end result wasn't in doubt. Notice that I'm not saying that Almagro didn't play well (he probably did given the close scoreline) but I'm saying that Almagro can't handle the pressure of beating Nadal. He could have been 2 sets up and I'd have still thought that he wasn't going to win. He admires Nadal too much to beat the self-imposed pressure that preludes a possible victory over him.

That isn't bending over. Almagro fought until the end and obviously wanted the win. He has turned a corner this year against Nadal and might actually have a shot of beating him on a hardcourt if he keeps up his form. On clay he can give it his all but it is unlikely he could ever beat Nadal simply because he's not good enough to do it unless he plays a perfect match.

NADALbULLS
06-03-2010, 03:35 AM
This is the most entertaining match at roland garros for me. It was a tremendous level of tennis all the way through from Nadal and Almagro. I actually was expecting Almagro to win a set or may even 2 sets, and I believed that Almagro was the biggest threat in Nadal's half of the draw when I first saw the draw before roland garros began. Their head-to-head is lopsided and Nadal killed him last time they met at roland garros, but Almagro is clearly hit a purple patch. Nadal was only 4-4 in tie-breaks this year before today, so this was a valuable match to boost his confidence. His level of belief right now on big points is at an all-time high, like 2008. In 2009 Nadal was losing all the extremely big points, hence no titles. Now he is a machine on big points and is going to be extremely hard to beat at Wimbledon.

andy neyer
06-03-2010, 03:41 AM
That isn't bending over. Almagro fought until the end and obviously wanted the win. He has turned a corner this year against Nadal and might actually have a shot of beating him on a hardcourt if he keeps up his form. On clay he can give it his all but it is unlikely he could ever beat Nadal simply because he's not good enough to do it unless he plays a perfect match.

I am not saying he didn't want to win, I'm saying his admiration to Nadal doesn't allow him to win. He's mentally defeated before coming to the court against him.

It might not be "bending over", true, but I don't have a proper term for it so I just kind of keep using it.

Chloe le Bopper
06-03-2010, 04:36 AM

bigotry :hearts:

FlameOn
06-03-2010, 05:03 AM
Soderling has a great chance to win RG if he makes the final. ;)

NADALbULLS
06-03-2010, 05:43 AM
bigotry :hearts:

lol :hearts:

DuMa
06-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Nadal just finds a way to win, no matter what the score. serious spartan this guy, no?

n8
06-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Each round Rafa has a closer set by one game:

6-2 vs. Mina
6-3 vs. Zeballos
6-4 vs. Hewitt
7-5 vs. Bellucci
7-6 vs. Almagro

paseo
06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Each round Rafa has a closer set by one game:

6-2 vs. Mina
6-3 vs. Zeballos
6-4 vs. Hewitt
7-5 vs. Bellucci
7-6 vs. Almagro

He'll reset it back to 6-2 on the next match.

propi
06-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Almagro did play good, Rafa had some impressive defense at some points :worship:
@ People who complain abour Rafa's draw: buy a forest and get lost, it's not his fault is seeds in his part of the draw managed to get screwed. Actually he has to play these who beat them, was Rogie's victory last year insignificant because he didn't face any good clay courter?? No
Big LMAO at the conspirational plan among Spanish players to lose vs. Nadal
http://www.gentew.com/files/BOHEMIAN80@YAHOO.ES/I%20WANT%20TO%20BELIEVE.jpg

Commander Data
06-03-2010, 07:52 AM
I love it when Fed is out! I can just sit back and appreciate MTF in all its glory.

Halba
06-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Nadal just finds a way to win, no matter what the score. serious spartan this guy, no?

manages to win in straights, despite not playing well

Lopez
06-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Where is sawan by the way :confused: ?

I miss the superhero metaphors :sad:

ossie
06-03-2010, 08:34 AM
manages to win in straights, despite not playing wellstraights sets victory if i play a bad match no?

Topspin Forehand
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I love it when Fed is out! I can just sit back and appreciate MTF in all its glory.

We'll be sure to make it happen more often. :devil:

Sophocles
06-03-2010, 08:51 PM
We'll be sure to make it happen more often. :devil:

You going to knock him out of Wimbledon then?

delpiero7
06-03-2010, 08:58 PM
If you want to see spanish mugs choke against each other, go watch Barcelona.

Watched Barcelona. Turned out that some Swede choked against a Spanish mug in the final.

Federer? On clay? I know he's the GOAT, but please. He's been owned repeatedly be Nadal. His only saving grace is that he has managed to muster more than 1 win vs Nadal on clay.
Djokovic can't even beat mediocre players these days, and even when he gets to face Nadal his best isn't good enough.
Murray - A guy who has recently gotten owned by Kohlschreiber and Berdych in straight sets. To even mention him is embarrasing.
Berdych has been bagelled 2 times in the last 5 sets he's played vs Nadal on clay (and won 0 of those sets)
Ferrer is Nadal's bitch on clay, even when he throws the kitchen sink AND the barn door at him.

It's a shame that your idol Federer never took advantage of his rest day when Wawrinka bent over for him :rolleyes: FFS, grow a brain.*

* I'm assuming you're a Federer fan. If you are, I stand by my comment. If not, I apologise and retract what I've posted above). :p

l_mac
06-03-2010, 09:00 PM
* I'm assuming you're a Federer fan. If you are, I stand by my comment. If not, I apologise and retract what I've posted above). :p

He's a Federer fan. :lol:

delpiero7
06-03-2010, 09:03 PM
He's a Federer fan. :lol:

Only just stopped his avatar now lol.

ToniTennis
06-04-2010, 11:39 AM
All you people are pathetic, thinking nadal will play soderling in the final, almagro will take care of rafa in 4 sets tomorrow...

:lol: Yup, somebody is pathetic after all.

Chair Umpire
06-06-2010, 03:48 PM

*COUGH* *COUGH*

I've lost tons of vcash but at least I'm going to have some fun at Rafatards and Fedtards. :lol:

Surcouf
06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Rafa finally stepped up.

But he won RG without losing a set and withoyt even playing his best. He is the absolute best.

ossie
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Soderling is going to win this titlenever in doubt

A_Skywalker
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
This was his hardest match... Give respect to Almagro.

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-07-2010, 10:05 AM
This was his hardest match... Give respect to Almagro.

yup Almagro was amazing and it was good tough match, good luck to him next tours.