Borg: Soderling will be Number One [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Borg: Soderling will be Number One

Fiberlight1
06-02-2010, 03:40 PM
STOCKHOLM (AP)—Sweden’s Bjorn Borg says compatriot Robin Soderling is within reach of the world No. 1 title after ending Roger Federer’s record streak of 23 consecutive major semifinals in the French Open.

Borg describes Soderling’s Tuesday game as “perfect” and says he will “become World No. 1 faster than we can expect” in an interview with the Expressen tabloid.

Soderling’s 3-1 set win against the Swiss champion topped all main sports pages in Sweden on Wednesday, which described it as “epic and historic.”

Borg holds a record six French Open titles from 1974-81. No Swede has brought home the title since 1988, when Mats Wilander won.

Interesting? can he?

andy neyer
06-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Interesting to see that this thread was started by the same Spanishtard who used to bitterly call Soderling a fluke when he beat Nadull in RG.

The answer is no.

rubbERR
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
of course not

sheva07
06-02-2010, 03:47 PM
He can't.

Fiberlight1
06-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Interesting to see that this thread was started by the same Spanishtard who used to bitterly call Soderling a fluke when he beat Nadull in RG.

The answer is no.

Did I say he could? And there was nothing bitter about my assessment. If he had beaten Federer I would have thought the exact same thing..

I don't think he can. I think he plays great tennis at RG, but lacks the consistency of a Nadal or Federer.

Good attempt though, Andy Troll.

andy neyer
06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Did I say he could? And there was nothing bitter about my assessment. If he had beaten Federer I would have thought the exact same thing..

I don't think he can. I think he plays great tennis at RG, but lacks the consistency of a Nadal or Federer.

Good attempt though, Andy Troll.

Everybody lacks the consistency of a Nadal or a Federer, dude. That said it's still interesting to see how much your views change. Let me remind you what you said less than a year ago in another thread:

You can't spell Fluke without TOAD.
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=144887&page=3

And now after he beat Roger you're asking whether he can get to no 1 :lol:

Fiberlight1
06-02-2010, 03:58 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=144887&page=3

And less than a year later you're asking whether he can get to no 1 :lol:

Wanna show the rest of the thread where I admitted to being wrong and viewing Soderling through the eyes of players like Gonzo, Baggy and Tsonga who had one good GS run and nothing more?

Troll elsewhere.. Pathetic.

Johnny Groove
06-02-2010, 04:00 PM
He can't be losing 1st round at the AO if he wants to be #1.

kooties
06-02-2010, 04:02 PM
Top 3 at best

Voo de Mar
06-02-2010, 04:03 PM
4 months ago I wrote here "Soderling is virtually No. 3 in the world", should be at least 3rd in the ATP ranking... he has good shot to reach this position but No. 1 is still far away.

rubbERR
06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
He can't be losing 1st round at the AO if he wants to be #1.

and...llodra,rochus,ginepri, granollers

his other losses this year are against: berdych,almagro,wawrinka,verdasco

series of bad losses for sure

but how easy is to forget these and join his recent success gloryhunting :lol:

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 04:06 PM
He has been consistently an amazing player all year, even after his injury. No.1 awaits him if he keeps it up like this all year round. He has the tools, he has the mentality now imo, he has the pace, the strokes, the serve. He has it all, except for the volleys, but you don't need those nowadays anyway :rolleyes:

No.1 awaits Soderking. It'd be better than Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo at no.1 for sure.

tyruk14
06-02-2010, 04:08 PM
He has been consistently an amazing player all year, even after his injury. No.1 awaits him if he keeps it up like this all year round. He has the tools, he has the mentality now imo, he has the pace, the strokes, the serve. He has it all, except for the volleys, but you don't need those nowadays anyway :rolleyes:

No.1 awaits Soderking. It'd be better than Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo at no.1 for sure.

And it'd be a darn sight better than having Murray at number one.

andy neyer
06-02-2010, 04:11 PM
Wanna show the rest of the thread where I admitted to being wrong and viewing Soderling through the eyes of players like Gonzo, Baggy and Tsonga who had one good GS run and nothing more?

Troll elsewhere.. Pathetic.

From Flukerling to future number 1 in less than a year according to you. Nice 180° change but the truth is that Soderling's win over Nadal was never a fluke (only Nadaltards like you used to think so) and now after he beat Federer he isn't a contender for the number 1 spot either.

This type of overreaction is typical of the users of this site but don't let me get in the way of your opinion changes, man.. This is a quality thread, nooo douuuubt.

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 04:12 PM
And it'd be a darn sight better than having Murray at number one.
Which is not the topic being discussed here atm, bud.

I hate how all poster think that by making fun of Murray will annoy me. Pretty pathetic.

philosophicalarf
06-02-2010, 04:15 PM
He's probably limited by his troubles with conditions at the Aus Open, and that's going to bother him badly in Cincinatti and Miami also most years.

Also, even aside from beating Federer, can he reliably beat Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick and Berdych on hard? To my mind even at his best he'll struggle to clear 50% against this group. Admittedly, he has an effective game against Davydenko and Nadal, so very much dependent on the draw.

To make number 1, Soderling probably needs to win Roland Garros, and the US Open, and do a heck of a lot better at the sharp end of masters than he has been doing. Seems unlikely given the number who can beat him on hard, even if physically he can cope with that much tennis, which I rather doubt.

tyruk14
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Which is not the topic being discussed here atm, bud.

I hate how all poster think that by making fun of Murray will annoy me. Pretty pathetic.

It wasn't an attempted slight against you. You expressed your own opinions on -- wait, how did you put it? Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo. And I'm pretty sure those players aren't being discussed here either, bud.

The Magician
06-02-2010, 04:16 PM
No reason why not. He's shown he is good on every surface, much better on his weakest surface than Djoko, Murray, or Del Po. He needs to do better in Masters series which is just a matter of confidence. Only thing is he's kind of old so once Federer and Nadal retire he'll be close to it as well.

Fiberlight1
06-02-2010, 04:19 PM
From Flukerling to future number 1 in less than a year according to you. Nice 180° change but the truth is that Soderling's win over Nadal was never a fluke (only Nadaltards like you used to think so) and now after he beat Federer he isn't a contender for the number 1 spot either.

This type of overreaction is typical of the users of this site but don't let me get in the way of your opinion changes, man.. This is a quality thread, nooo douuuubt.

Please show me where I said he could... These are Borg's words... Not mine.. You do realize that right?

viruzzz
06-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Well...
He plays in an excelent shape in RG...
But it's not clay surface, it's just RG.
He's going to win RG, maybe more than once, and that probably will give him a N° 1 in a few years.
Just remember, reaching number one isn't that difficult, problem is, today the two giants are just amazing players.

But remember that Nadal in January was at number 4...
I think Robin could reach N° 1 in some situation like that.

andy neyer
06-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Please show me where I said he could... These are Borg's words... Not mine.. You do realize that right?

Okay, fair enough. I do realize but it was still rather funny at first. Anyhow, it isn't anymore.

tennis2tennis
06-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Why am I having a strong sense of Déjà vu channelling circa 2008 starring a certain Serbian

connectolove
06-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Of course Soderling has a chance to be #1!!! he is a great player and he is hungry. I hope that Nadal does not let him though...

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
It wasn't an attempted slight against you. You expressed your own opinions on -- wait, how did you put it? Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo. And I'm pretty sure those players aren't being discussed here either, bud.
Oh please, why else would you say that to me? I'm a murray fan, you wanted to annoy me by saying that. That's that.

Ayway, Soderling will be much better at no.1 than any of the players I said.

tyruk14
06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Oh please, why else would you say that to me? I'm a murray fan, you wanted to annoy me by saying that. That's that.

Ayway, Soderling will be much better at no.1 than any of the players I said.

And you've just said that to annoy the "Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo" fans.

Chair Umpire
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
He looks more promising than Djoker and Mugray.

Frooty_Bazooty
06-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Borg would say anything for cash

robinpirate
06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
I certainly don't hope so. Of all the top players he probably has the most effective and devastating game, but it's also the ugliest by a mile. There's nothing fluid about Soderling, the serve toss up 5 meters high, the clumsy movement and the fugliest forehand in the top 100
When he's serving and playing like yesterday, ain't nobody beating him. he was a destructing machine, an update of the Davydenko-bot, without the lightness and amazing quickness of course. I certainly accept these types of players a la Cicic or Soderling should exist, but I hope they don't become the dominant force in tennis

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
:lol: Borg is a well known bandwagoner.

federernadalfan
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
i don't see him getting to no1
he's far too inconsistent, after rg he will most likely remain below the radar

marcRD
06-02-2010, 06:42 PM
As a swede I must admit Borg is kind of an idiot, oh well he is a nice guy and a legend but he should keep his mouth shut.

A_Skywalker
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Borg is not going to get it right, I dont think Soderling will ever be N1, he will just beat the best players sometimes and thats it. Hes not consistent.

green25814
06-02-2010, 06:51 PM
He should be.

Better player than Delpo, Djoker or Murray, and he seems to have the champions mentality. A lot depends on Fedal though.

Filo V.
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Must be something in the water in Sweden.

B.z.A.
06-02-2010, 07:04 PM
hahahah

Ariel
06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Borg, magnificent player- can't say the same of his predictions. But who else does he have to play up in Sweden? A far cry from the team from the mid 80's.

CyBorg
06-02-2010, 07:14 PM
Shut up, Bjorn. Just... shut up.

mcnasty
06-02-2010, 07:28 PM
at the top of his game soderling can beat anyone. who knows though when he's off. bold prediction anyway.

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
And you've just said that to annoy the "Jokeovic, Nadull and Delpoo" fans.
Of course not. I just said that, because I hate them :D

Back on topic, Sod has all the right tools to become the best, he just needs to be more consistent.

San Rosso
06-02-2010, 07:50 PM
How old is he anyway? I don't think he is capable of becoming the number one player. Both Del Potro and Murray have more potential.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Classic Borg.

nastoff
06-02-2010, 07:54 PM
He probably has more chance than drama queen Crapovic

JolánGagó
06-02-2010, 08:00 PM
Borg is a well known troll.

osmonde
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Seriously, in 9 years on tour: he won only 5 times: 4 X 250 and 1 X 500 at Rotterdam this year, but Youzhny retired during the final...

He plays with no strategy and no fluidity...hard hitter of course, but miles from a champion accomplishment.
He will be 26 soon, he may still progress but will never reach the top...never.

SetSampras
06-02-2010, 08:45 PM
He has to do something outside the french open and WIN SLAMS AND MASTERS to win be Number 1 first.

ShotmaKer
06-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Borg is a MTF poster.

cocrcici
06-02-2010, 09:13 PM
He looks more promising than Djoker and Mugray.

Djoker and Mugray will be back:D:D

Forehander
06-02-2010, 09:27 PM
He might enter top 5 but number one i dun think so

Murray's Mint
06-02-2010, 10:01 PM
It looks like Rafa might embed himself as #1 for a while but any injuries or drop in form and it will be wide open. Fed's ranking will probably drop off either due to his self imposed restricted schedule or involuntarily due to age finally catching up with him. We could be in for a period where once again being #1 ranking is a transient prize being interchanged between a number of players rather than being dominated for extended periods by a definitive #. In this situation Soderling has probably got as much chance as anybody so why not.

Johnny Groove
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I think Borg is motivating him.

tennishero
06-02-2010, 11:14 PM
bandwagon at full steam...

he needs to win a slam first, then maybe we can talk about him being in the top 3.

DuMa
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
i think he can get to #3. but its gonna be awfully hard to upseat rafa and roger for the top 2 spots. no one's been able to do it for 6-7 years?

oranges
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
I think Borg is motivating him.

Good call, +1

paseo
06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Whatever this Borg is smoking, it must be really good.

Mjau!
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM
Classic knee-jerk reaction.

He's probably limited by his troubles with conditions at the Aus Open, and that's going to bother him badly in Cincinatti and Miami also most years.

Also, even aside from beating Federer, can he reliably beat Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro, Roddick and Berdych on hard? To my mind even at his best he'll struggle to clear 50% against this group. Admittedly, he has an effective game against Davydenko and Nadal, so very much dependent on the draw.

To make number 1, Soderling probably needs to win Roland Garros, and the US Open, and do a heck of a lot better at the sharp end of masters than he has been doing. Seems unlikely given the number who can beat him on hard, even if physically he can cope with that much tennis, which I rather doubt.

Why? Robin's physique is breathtaking.

KarlyM
06-03-2010, 07:20 AM
Borg describes Soderling’s Tuesday game as “perfect” and says he will “become World No. 1 faster than we can expect” in an interview with the Expressen tabloid. Put down the wine bottle, Bjorn. :drink:

Borg is a MTF poster. :haha:

HKz
06-03-2010, 07:44 AM
:lol: Borg is a well known bandwagoner.

But he did correctly predict Nadal's success in 2008 a whole year before.

r2473
06-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Interesting? can he?

He's got to get through Melzer, so no.

Sapeod
06-03-2010, 09:31 PM
i think he can get to #3. but its gonna be awfully hard to upseat rafa and roger for the top 2 spots. no one's been able to do it for 6-7 years?
Murray did it. So has Djokovic, or did you mean no.1?

Orka_n
06-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Soderling world #1? Nah, currently he doesn't have the consistency for that, and he bloomed too late. I'd be more than happy if he just won a slam. This one, perhaps.

FormerRafaFan
06-03-2010, 10:05 PM
We should have a poll. I'd say no. Top 5 is very possible though.

l_mac
06-03-2010, 10:39 PM
But he did correctly predict Nadal's success in 2008 a whole year before.

You mean his success at Wimbledon? Or 2008 in general.

Neither of those were exactly hard to call. Rafa had made the previous 2 Wimbledon finals, taking Fed to 5 in 2007.

Toaderling
06-04-2010, 12:32 AM
Step to this. :worship:

gulzhan
06-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Not a chance.

Sunset of Age
06-04-2010, 01:49 AM
Not a chance.

Every player has a chance, and certainly Sod, if he happens to get that RG title.
If he does, it will be very much deserved.

Getta
06-04-2010, 02:06 AM
Every player has a chance, and certainly Sod, if he happens to get that RG title.
If he does, it will be very much deserved.

no matter how good Robin is, his level of success depends to a high degree on the skill of his opponents.

Sunset of Age
06-04-2010, 02:08 AM
no matter how good Robin is, his level of success depends to a high degree on the skill of his opponents.

As is the case to any other player just the same. ;)

philosophicalarf
06-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Why? Robin's physique is breathtaking.

Injury/niggles, he's a big heavy guy and knee issues are quite a concern. Also all that power on the forehand, has to take it very careful on the wrist.

HKz
06-04-2010, 03:38 AM
You mean his success at Wimbledon? Or 2008 in general.

Neither of those were exactly hard to call. Rafa had made the previous 2 Wimbledon finals, taking Fed to 5 in 2007.

Still, plenty of critics/former players backed Federer up even after the French Open defeat in 2008. Either way, Soderling does have a chance, however small it may be, to become world number 1. When he is hitting well, he really doesn't have a real weakness, especially not glaring ones like Federer's inability with the backhand, Nadal against big hitters, etc. I mean, I think he can pretty much reach top 4 quickly.. Aside from that small blip at the Australian Open, since Roland Garros last year, Soderling has had just as good, if not better results than Djokovic/Murray. If he gets red hot for even a short period of time, can be trouble for the rest of the top 10. We all know his self-confidence against the top players, even though he does falter on occasion and start misfiring.

Will be tough though regardless. He has a good amount of points to defend from Wimbledon/USO/Paris/Shanghai/TMC but then again, he can also pick up more points from these events.

Clydey
06-04-2010, 04:00 AM
The bandwagon is gathering pace.

JolánGagó
06-04-2010, 04:37 AM
Oh puhleeeezzzz :zzz:

Kolya
06-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Borg, Borg, Borg...

Funny man.

Start da Game
06-04-2010, 12:30 PM
borg is no.1 when it comes to making fail predictions and becoming a buffoon........that much is true for now........

ChuckNorrisFan
06-04-2010, 01:19 PM
What a bandwagonner this Borg

Topspin Forehand
06-04-2010, 01:27 PM
Borg is a legend but he has a big mouth these days. Old vets want to be remembered I guess.

swebright
06-04-2010, 01:28 PM
I have no respect for Borg.
He was happy Soder beat Nadal last year because Nadal won't break his record of 5 straight titles.

He was also happy Roger lost and couldn't break his record. I forgot what the occasion is, but geez. From a 50 year old person's mouth, this is not a glib toungue or something to joke about.

justsumma
06-04-2010, 01:35 PM
Borg just fucked up Lingling's career

swann
06-04-2010, 01:48 PM
When he is hitting well, he really doesn't have a real weakness, especially not glaring ones like Federer's inability with the backhand, Nadal against big hitters, etc.

I think that when Federer/Nadal are hitting really well, nobody can stand before them; I wouldn't say that about Soderling.

Aside from that small blip at the Australian Open, since Roland Garros last year, Soderling has had just as good, if not better results than Djokovic/Murray.

Soderling: 2 titles (Bastad and Rotterdam), 1 final (Barcelona), 4th round Wimbledon, QF USOpen, 1/2 at TMC
Djokovic: 5 titles (Paris-Masters, Belgrad, Beijing, Basel, Dubai), 2 finals (Halle, Cincinatti), QF Wimbledon, SF USOpen
Murray: 3 titles (Montreal-Masters, Queens, Valencia), 0 finals, SF Wimbledon, 4R US Open.

I would say that Djokovic > Murray > Soderling (from results point of view).

nanoman
06-04-2010, 02:08 PM
Borg is an idiot that knows nothing about modern tennis. Much like the rest of the past greats the comments/predictions he makes comes out of pettiness and bitterness. He hates tennis, hates watching it. And although sometimes he is paid to sit on the stands, everything that happens on the courts goes over his head and you can see he'd rather be elsewhere.

I hope Federer doesn't turn out this way, though some might say he already has.

fran70
06-05-2010, 08:01 PM
I don`t think Robin has a chance to be Nª1. I`m really surprised he managed to reach his 2nd French Open final. He plays well on indoor courts but inspite of he is not a clay court player he managed to be two times in the French Open final!!!. That`s no logical at least for me. He has a great serve, forehand and most overall a great determination which in tennis many times is more important than any sort of strokes. If you want to see how to beat a player like Soderling on his best surface you should watch 2008 Stockholm final.

SectionX
06-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I have no respect for Borg.
He was happy Soder beat Nadal last year because Nadal won't break his record of 5 straight titles.

He was also happy Roger lost and couldn't break his record. I forgot what the occasion is, but geez. From a 50 year old person's mouth, this is not a glib toungue or something to joke about.

jesus what the fuck are wrong with people in this thread?! Soderling is swedish, borg is swedish, OF COURSE HE SUPPORTS A COUNTRYMAN! That's the only reason there and people get angry over a mans opinion/wish? Besides, Borg said a couple of years ago that he would be happy if Federer beat his wimbledon streak, and he did. The man was classy on the court and has always been classy and people get riled up over this?!

So what about the american media and their everlasting bias for sampras/agassi/roddick? Are they all idiots too?

DualMedia
06-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Dear borg, please take your foot out of your mouth before you talk!

Chiakifug
06-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Hes probably getting overexcited but I could see him reaching #4 or #3 if he keeps getting the results, especially since hes taking Del Potro and Davydenkos places anyway.

andy neyer
06-06-2010, 01:16 AM
You're all going too look pretty stupid once Soderling gets to number 1.

Or not...

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2010, 02:27 AM
Soderling is really a bit old for that kind of run. #1 type players normally reach peak level in the early 20s.

Sunset of Age
06-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Soderling is really a bit old for that kind of run. #1 type players normally reach peak level in the early 20s.

Just a reminder: Lendl got his first GS title at the age of 24, and I think he surely belongs among the greatest players of all time. ;)
Chang got his first at age 17, and never ever managed to get even close to racking up another one after that.

Age is just a number. ;)

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Just a reminder: Lendl got his first GS title at the age of 24, and I think he surely belongs among the greatest players of all time. ;)
Chang got his first at age 17, and never ever managed to get even close to racking up another one after that.

Age is just a number. ;)

Lendl is quite some exception. The vast majority of GS titles is being won in the first half of the 20s (posted some stats here a while ago, will look for them).

Even then though, Lendl's had played 6 grand slams finals by the age Soderling reached his first.

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2010, 02:51 AM
Here it is, about a year old (between then and now Federer will have moved the stat a little up)

--------------------------------

Stat inspired by another thread:

Age -- number of slam wins at that age

17 -- 4
18 -- 2
19 -- 4
20 -- 10
21 -- 17
22 -- 18
23 -- 16
24 -- 24
25 -- 19
26 -- 11
27 -- 9
28 -- 4
29 -- 9
30 -- 6
31 -- 5
32 -- 1
33 -- 1
34 -- 1
35 -- 1
36 -- 1
37 -- 1

17 are Borg, Wilander, Becker, Chang. 35-37 is all Rosewall (34 is Gimeno, 33 Rosewall, 32 Agassi).

The average age is 24.4; excluding Laver, Rosewall and Newcombe (whose sample is truncated, thus biasing the average) the average is 23.7.

A couple of charts:

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9128/tennisage.png

Sunset of Age
06-06-2010, 02:56 AM
Lendl is quite some exception. The vast majority of GS titles is being won in the first half of the 20s (posted some stats here a while ago, will look for them).

Even then though, Lendl's had played 6 grand slams finals by the age Soderling reached his first.

I know, it's just an illustration for those who seem to be getting ahead of themselves - on both sides of the extreme fence. ;)

I know it's WTA, and it's only an illustration to 'you can't ever tell what happens', but please speak up, those who put money on Schiavone to grab a GS title just a couple of days before her 30th birthday. :D

Henry Kaspar
06-06-2010, 03:17 AM
Just checked: average is still 24.4, mode 24. ;-)

SectionX
06-06-2010, 09:11 AM
Dear borg, please take your foot out of your mouth before you talk!

that's funny coming from an american who think sampras is the greatest. He sucked on clay and was therefor very overrated.

nevenez
06-06-2010, 09:15 AM
If he plays like he did with federer he will be number 1, but i doubt.

paseo
06-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Borg is an idiot that knows nothing about modern tennis. Much like the rest of the past greats the comments/predictions he makes comes out of pettiness and bitterness. He hates tennis, hates watching it. And although sometimes he is paid to sit on the stands, everything that happens on the courts goes over his head and you can see he'd rather be elsewhere.

I hope Federer doesn't turn out this way, though some might say he already has.

I don't think so. Fed really loves tennis.