Who is the better player? Del Potro or Soderling? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the better player? Del Potro or Soderling?

tennishero
06-01-2010, 06:55 PM
both have beaten the top 2 in slams, and both have similar playing styles.

samanosuke
06-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Del Potro can winning matches with poor play and rising up in the big situations . Soderling can't . He is or crazy or pathetic

ciprianned
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Delpo ....

paseo
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
At their absolute best, Soderling. Overall, still Del Potro.

Soderling, right now, has the biggest shot on tour.

laurie-1
06-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Bit too early for a poll like this in my opinion.

Lets give Soderling the opportunity to make a name for himself by the weekend before asking a question like this.

ApproachShot
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
Peak level Soderling vs. peak level Del Potro is hard to call. Overall I'd have to go with Del Potro so far.

Jomp1
06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
They are very close, but D-P is the one with the major and better ranking at the moment so him.

Selby
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
At their absolute best, Soderling. Overall, still Del Potro.

Soderling, right now, has the biggest shot on tour.

This

MalwareDie
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Soderling. Del Potro wouldn't be able to get Soderling to make UEs when he's playing well. That's basically it for Del Potro when he can't get the opponent to make errors. Del Potro is one dimensional.

DrJules
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Del Potro beat both in the same tournament.

Matt01
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Söderking is truly great player as we've seen today but Del Pony won a Slam, no?

Johnny Groove
06-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Their match at the WTF last year should tell you it's pretty damn even.

If only Delpo can get healthy.

tennishero
06-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Bit too early for a poll like this in my opinion.

Lets give Soderling the opportunity to make a name for himself by the weekend before asking a question like this.

some ppl are already saying soderling is better..

Filo V.
I have to say Soderking at his peak is, simply for the fact he hits a harder ball than Del Potro and is more aggressive than Del Potro is in his game and mentality.

With that said, Del Potro in general a better player. So JMDP is my answer.

peribsen
Got a feeling we'll be reading a bunch of threads like this one the following years... But I think Delpo has a larger chance of really making it big, like winning 5 slams. Soderling, at his peak, can beat anyone, that's for sure, but only players who systematically win when they are not at their best really make it to the very top, and >I guess Sod, when not at his peak, often gets licked by almost anybody.

But I'd love to be proven wrong. Anyway, I can't help preferring Delpo (he's Argentinian, you know, it all stays in the family).

born_on_clay
06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
The difference lies in the Slams :D

tennishero
06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Their match at the WTF last year should tell you it's pretty damn even.

If only Delpo can get healthy.

delpo was tired and not playing well that match, he still won

rocketassist
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
At their best Soderking by far. More consistent, Del Potro, but that's because his shots are mostly percentage and aren't high risk.

ShotmaKer
06-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Del Potro beat both in the same tournament.

it's still a possibility for Soderling.

really tough call.

vn01
06-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Del Potro is better

Andi-M
06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Very even. Potro will have the better career for sure he will win 5+ slams whereas Soda will win 0-2 max.

At peak peak I'd favor Soderling though I think he has more power.

Mjau!
06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Del Potro is more consistent, but Robin's peak level is even better!

DwyaneWade
06-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Del Potro is more consistent, but Robin's peak level is even better!

I agree, and with rocketassist above. I enjoy watching Soderling more, he is impossible to play when redlining.

Ibracadabra
06-01-2010, 08:14 PM
Del potro has the game to be number one, he also has the mental ability to be number one ;)

Certinfy
06-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Both are better in different ways ;)

JanKowalski
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
I would say Del Potro, not by much though. They met in London last year on Sod's favourite surface and Sod was in good form in that tournament. And Del Potro won while not being 100% healty. Today's Sod would probably beat him though.

MurrayFan1
06-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Del Potro for sure. He's got plenty of slams coming his way. Plus when will Soderling ever win 4 hard court titles in a row? I miss Del Potro so much :(

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Del Potro is better
No he isn't. Soderling is much better to watch, and look at. His best is better than Del Potro's best as well.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Imho, Del Potro was not tired. That is an excuse you made because you are biased towards him.

JanKowalski
06-01-2010, 09:01 PM
No he isn't. Soderling is much better to watch, and look at. His best is better than Del Potro's best as well.

London finals 2009 prove you're wrong about this

Sod in good form on favourite surface << injured Del Potro

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
London finals 2009 prove you're wrong about this

Sod in good form on favourite surface << injured Del Potro
Soderling was not on best form, and Del Potro wasn't injured. He had come back from an injury. You don't play if you're injured.

Sod at best>> Del at best.

JanKowalski
06-01-2010, 09:04 PM
Soderling was not on best form, and Del Potro wasn't injured. He had come back from an injury. You don't play if you're injured.

Sod at best>> Del at best.

And you know this from where ? Your ass ?

Show me the match in which they both played their best and Sod won, untill then :wavey:

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 09:08 PM
No. I know from watching them play. Del Potro at best keeps the ball in play and hits it bloody hard! That way, his opponent can't get into the point and Del Potro inevitably wins the point.

Soderling at his best hits the lines consistently as well as hit the ball very very hard, the same as Del Potro.

Soderling also has a better serve.

tyruk14
06-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Right now? Del Potro.

Come Sunday or Monday, it might be a toss up.

Montego
06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Del Potro. Bigger wins, bigger titles, better ranking, younger.

No contest imo.

Peak Del Potro might be equal to peak Soderling, but it is not peak that counts but the highest possible average.And average is better in Potro's case.

rocketassist
06-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Del Potro. Bigger wins, bigger titles, better ranking, younger.

No contest imo.

Peak Del Potro might be equal to peak Soderling, but it is not peak that counts but the highest possible average.And average is better in Potro's case.

That's because his game isn't high-risk and on the tour these days keeping it in play does the job.

Soderling's A game is explosive and superior by far.

River
06-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Del Potro.

When he's hot, he's almost unstoppable.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Del Potro.

When he's hot, he's almost unstoppable.
Soderling is even more unstoppable when at his very best. Hitting the lines on serve, backhand and forehand all the time, with incredible pace.

tennishero
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
That's because his game isn't high-risk and on the tour these days keeping it in play does the job.

Soderling's A game is explosive and superior by far.

del potro isnt high risk, pushes the ball in play? what dimension do u live in?

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 10:14 PM
No, he's quite right. Del Potro just wacks the ball back into play, usually not very near the corners, until his opponents puts one short. In other words, Del Potro just puts the ball back into play with a lot of pace until it's too much for his opponent, hence his game isn't anything special to look at.

tennishero
06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
No, he's quite right. Del Potro just wacks the ball back into play, usually not very near the corners, until his opponents puts one short. In other words, Del Potro just puts the ball back into play with a lot of pace until it's too much for his opponent, hence his game isn't anything special to look at.

by put the ball into play u mean hit winners right?

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 10:19 PM
by put the ball into play u mean hit winners right?
No, put the ball in play I mean just hit it back into the court at his opponent with pace. His opponent has trouble coping with the pace, unless he obviously can cope, and puts one short, then Del Potro just wacks one to one side of the court (usually not near any lines) and it's a winner, or is unreturnable.

tennishero
06-01-2010, 10:22 PM
No, put the ball in play I mean just hit it back into the court at his opponent with pace. His opponent has trouble coping with the pace, unless he obviously can cope, and puts one short, then Del Potro just wacks one to one side of the court (usually not near any lines) and it's a winner, or is unreturnable.

u should go watch his match vs Federer at last years RG's then..

the only reason he didnt win that match is he had too much respsect for him.

rocketassist
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM

He bashes the ball down the middle of the court, that isn't high risk, and isn't much error margin. Then when he gets a short ball, he sticks it away.

Soderling is a far more 'high-risk' player. Del Potro ain't much more high risk than a Faker or a Murray who are both grinder players. Low UE count is good enough these days, hence why Toad winning RG would be great for tennis.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
u should go watch his match vs Federer at last years RG's then..

the only reason he didnt win that match is he had too much respsect for him.
Federer was much better, hence he won. Why does one match make anything any different? One match out of what? Almost 100?

sheva07
06-01-2010, 10:34 PM
Delpo 4sho.

Roddickominator
06-01-2010, 10:40 PM
Del Potro already beat the best hard court player in the world in a Grand Slam final on that surface. Soderling has to do the same thing on clay(beat Nadal in the final) for this to even be a discussion.

And "Who would win at their peak?" is not the same as "Who is the better player?" Soderling can play red line tennis and beat anyone...but the consistency is lacking. Del Potro doesn't have to play like that to beat great players....he even wins often while not playing well.

multiculti
06-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Yes, DelPo won a slam and is ranked higher, but he also made a steadier rise up the rankings, especially on hardcourts. The USO final against Fed was much more grueling mentally than Soderling's QF today. DelPo has proven his mental strength far greater than Soderling. Not saying Soderling can't get there, he just isn't there yet.

shotgun
06-02-2010, 01:08 AM
They are different players, with different ages and different careers. Not sure what motivates this thread though, probably the thread starter feels the need to put some Argie player back in the spotlight since both Del Potro and Nalbandian are out due to injury and nobody is talking about them at the moment.

And yes, Del Potro is better.

Matt01
06-02-2010, 01:18 AM

Obviously rocketassiast and glory are living in another, completely different dimension than me.

Ibracadabra
06-02-2010, 02:09 AM
This glory guy is trying to hard. 1 grand slam title in the bag and could very well end up on quite a few given his age and talent. Del potro also has the mentla factor clearly not 100% in london and he beat robin on his peak surface, indoor hard. No contest.

straitup
06-02-2010, 03:10 AM
Delpo's clearly a leg up on Soderling. He's definitely more consistently solid...however, if I were to play against one of the two at their very best, the thought of facing the Soderling that upset Fed and Nadal scares the crap out of me a bit more

centralviva
06-02-2010, 05:24 AM
Del Potro blatantly

gusavo
06-02-2010, 05:42 AM

Show me the match in which they both played their best and Sod won, untill then :wavey:
show me a match in which they both played their best and pot won, until then..
in fact, try showing me a match where two players played their best. it doesent exist, because the wording of such a comment is worthless, not understandable, doesent work.

Del Potro already beat the best hard court player in the world in a Grand Slam final on that surface. Soderling has to do the same thing on clay(beat Nadal in the final) for this to even be a discussion.
lolll

DJ Soup
06-02-2010, 05:58 AM
London WTF 2009 is the answer:

Peak Soderling vs nowhere-peak Delpo.

Winner: Delpo

And if there is any doubt, Delpo has the strongest mental strength of the competition. Only comparable with Nadal, although I feel Rafa made several steps backwards on that department.

Lopez
06-02-2010, 06:30 AM
Obviously rocketassiast and glory are living in another, completely different dimension than me.

Nah, it's pretty good analysis. Söderling goes for the lines more than Del Potro. Del Potro is more tactical in his play: he doesn't give players the angles they need (so he doesn't have to run as much) and pounces on short balls.

To be fair, DelPo has improved in this category since Federer owned him in the Australian Open. He started moving better and thus can afford to go for the lines more. That's why he started winning the better players as well, instead of owning the low-ranked ones and getting owned himself by Nadal/Federer.

tennishero
06-02-2010, 09:31 AM
They are different players, with different ages and different careers. Not sure what motivates this thread though, probably the thread starter feels the need to put some Argie player back in the spotlight since both Del Potro and Nalbandian are out due to injury and nobody is talking about them at the moment.

And yes, Del Potro is better.

actually i made this thread because a lot of people were saying soderling is better, no need to spew :retard: comments.#

im surprised the poll is so close..

JanKowalski
06-02-2010, 09:44 AM
show me a match in which they both played their best and pot won, until then..
in fact, try showing me a match where two players played their best. it doesent exist, because the wording of such a comment is worthless, not understandable, doesent work.

Maaan, you have some serious reading comprehension problems.

I don't have to show you anything. Where did I say, that Potro's best is better than Sod's best ?

I was only arguing with Glory, because he said Sod's best is better than Potro's and there is no evidence for that.
On the contrary, their London 2009 match is a good proof, that such statement is false.

rocketassist
06-02-2010, 09:55 AM
Obviously I haven't said Robin is better/greater, because he hasn't a slam title, but I stand my assertion- Del Potro is not a risk taker and is a 'percentage' ballbasher who pounces on short balls while belting the ball down the middle of the court.

Anyway four of the current top 5 are low risk players, so Soderling winning one would be great for attacking tennis.

tennishero still thinks Nalbandian is greater than Safin, so he can't call anyone biased.

raahaat7
06-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Del Potro by a mile. He has d game to succeed on every surface.

ossie
06-02-2010, 10:15 AM
soderling is good but nowhere near delpotro

rubbERR
06-02-2010, 11:05 AM
pathetic thread, delpo is injured while söderling is increasing his hype currently, this thread is waste and should be deleted

Guga_fan
06-02-2010, 12:11 PM
Del Potro

zeleni
06-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Del Potro is/was (before injury) slightly better, imo.:)

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Pony, hope this helps.

DuMa
06-02-2010, 01:27 PM
Lots of chances for Soderling to make up ground on DelPotro seeing as how Del Potro wont be back for Wimbledon and USO.

Mateya
06-02-2010, 01:38 PM
We'll know the answer when they retire.

I enjoy watching Soda more, he's not so onedimensional.

rubbERR
06-02-2010, 01:53 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/french10/news/story?id=5241634

"future number one mr.söderling" :lol:

Nidhogg
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I would say that Del Potro is a better mover, defends better, returns better and has better feel and court craft than Söderling. Delpo is also better at dealing with and coming back from setbacks and lapses in matches. All in all he is more even in terms of his level of play.

Soders is in turn a better server, has better stamina and might have, from what we've seen so far, a bigger game when he's at his very best. Overall he is more aggressive.

You can compare their first wins over Federer. Delpo was clutch when it came to a close, even though he had collapsed earlier on in the match, and all in all it wasn't a very high quality match. Both players had a negative W/UE ratio, and Federer served poorly for his standards (51 % first serves in combined with 11 DF's, and if memory serves Delpo was rolling quite a lot of his serves in).

Söderling, by comparison, simply overwhelmed Federer by nearly going for broke as soon as the opportunity was there, which put Federer on the backfoot and disallowed him from employing his variety. Both players had a clearly positive W/UE ratio and served very well, proved by the great numbers. Don't be fooled by Soder's six doublefaults. He went big on both his first and second delivery, just like he pulled the trigger early in rallies and stepped up to take Federer's serves very early and send them back with interest. All of this didn't allow Federer any rhythm, and the match was played on Söderling's terms.

Who will end up with the better results? Most likely Delpo, but we need to see him back without suffering more injuries first.

rocketassist
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I would say that Del Potro is a better mover, defends better, returns better and has better feel and court craft than Söderling. Delpo is also better at dealing with and coming back from setbacks and lapses in matches. All in all he is more even in terms of his level of play.

Soders is in turn a better server, has better stamina and might have, from what we've seen so far, a bigger game when he's at his very best. Overall he is more aggressive.

You can compare their first wins over Federer. Delpo was clutch when it came to a close, even though he had collapsed earlier on in the match, and all in all it wasn't a very high quality match. Both players had a negative W/UE ratio, and Federer served poorly for his standards (51 % first serves in combined with 11 DF's, and if memory serves Delpo was rolling quite a lot of his serves in).

Söderling, by comparison, simply overwhelmed Federer by nearly going for broke as soon as the opportunity was there, which put Federer on the backfoot and disallowed him from employing his variety. Both players had a clearly positive W/UE ratio and served very well, proved by the great numbers. Don't be fooled by Soder's six doublefaults. He went big on both his first and second delivery, just like he pulled the trigger early in rallies and stepped up to take Federer's serves very early and send them back with interest. All of this didn't allow Federer any rhythm, and the match was played on Söderling's terms.

Who will end up with the better results? Most likely Delpo, but we need to see him back without suffering more injuries first.

I would agree a lot with this. Del Potro is obviously a more solid player and he can defend like Djokovic and Murray can to an extent.

But it would be nice to see Soderling surpass him- his best is better than Del Potro's best because he is going for broke and hitting winners. That is not JMDP's style, the fact he's a conservative basher works better in today's game hence his 1 slam to Robin's 0 atm.

DualMedia
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
pathetic thread, delpo is injured while söderling is increasing his hype currently, this thread is waste and should be deleted

+1, this is so true!

Guga_fan
06-03-2010, 02:32 PM
I would agree a lot with this. Del Potro is obviously a more solid player and he can defend like Djokovic and Murray can to an extent.

But it would be nice to see Soderling surpass him- his best is better than Del Potro's best because he is going for broke and hitting winners. That is not JMDP's style, the fact he's a conservative basher works better in today's game hence his 1 slam to Robin's 0 atm.
I don't think Soderling's best is better than Del Potro's, at WTF SF last year Soderling was really close to his best and he still lost.

Soderling's game seems more impressive because he is going for winners on every shot, but it definitely doesn't work as well as Del Potro's, even with both at their best.

Nidhogg
06-03-2010, 02:41 PM
I don't think Soderling's best is better than Del Potro's, at WTF SF last year Soderling was really close to his best and he still lost.

Soderling's game seems more impressive because he is going for winners on every shot, but it definitely doesn't work as well as Del Potro's, even with both at their best.

No, he isn't. I doubt you have watched all too many of his matches, but you can check out some footage of how he played recently in IW. He can use angles, work points and open up the court quite well on slow courts like those.

Söderling served very well for most of that match at WTF, but Delpo's comeback was mostly another tribute to his mental fortitude as Robin went through a dip after he was up 4/2 in the third set. Del Potro had earlier on dominated the first set only to crumble once the breaker kicked off (again, he's good at coming back from lapses).

Guga_fan
06-03-2010, 02:52 PM
No, he isn't. I doubt you have watched all too many of his matches, but you can check out some footage of how he played recently in IW. He can use angles, work points and open up the court quite well on slow courts like those.

Söderling served very well for most of that match at WTF, but Delpo's comeback was mostly another tribute to his mental fortitude as Robin went through a dip after he was up 4/2 in the third set. Del Potro had earlier on dominated the first set only to crumble once the breaker kicked off (again, he's good at coming back from lapses).
I've seen he play a lot and what I meant is that he goes for broke really frequently (the way I said it, it made him look like Gulbis last year), he trades few ball before going for the winner, and that is a flashier tennis than Delpo's.

Nidhogg
06-03-2010, 03:11 PM
I've seen he play a lot and what I meant is that he goes for broke really frequently (the way I said it, it made him look like Gulbis last year), he trades few ball before going for the winner, and that is a flashier tennis than Delpo's.

Heh. Well, he is an aggressive player, but he doesn't hit the ball as hard as he possibly could on every attempted winner. The most consistent pattern in his game is to maintain good depth to avoid being put on the backfoot. Being a scampering counterpuncher is not exactly his style.

Another comparison to Del Potro is that Söderling tries to work his way up to the net a lot more often.

Elena.
06-04-2010, 07:09 PM
i like both but i prefer Del Potro's missiles

Sillyrabbit
06-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Gulbis. Can hit almost as hard as both players and has waaay more variety(dropshots, net play etc) in his game than either of the two.

Not totally serious

gusavo
06-06-2010, 01:41 AM
Maaan, you have some serious reading comprehension problems.

I don't have to show you anything. Where did I say, that Potro's best is better than Sod's best ?

I was only arguing with Glory, because he said Sod's best is better than Potro's and there is no evidence for that.
On the contrary, their London 2009 match is a good proof, that such statement is false.
I read your comment perfectly, didnt you read mine? the whole best versus best is rediculous because theres no line at all of what someones best is

NadalSharapova
06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
1 > 0

Lets see if Soderling can level it at 1-1. I doubt it

nevenez
06-06-2010, 09:22 AM
if Sod wins today he will be better than JMDP

nevenez
06-06-2010, 09:23 AM
Gulbis. Can hit almost as hard as both players and has waaay more variety(dropshots, net play etc) in his game than either of the two.

Not totally serious
I agree with you but sadly he is to rich to be worried about tennis

Mincheff
06-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Robin will own DelPotro on clay, they seem pretty much equal on other surfaces imo. So Soderling is the better player :)

delpiero7
06-06-2010, 10:18 AM
In the same way that 16 > 6, Del Potro's 1 > Soderling's 0. :p

JanKowalski
06-06-2010, 10:31 AM
I read your comment perfectly, didnt you read mine? the whole best versus best is rediculous because theres no line at all of what someones best is

You seem to also have problems reading or understanding your own posts. In first sentence of your previous post you asked me for proof that Potro's best is better than Sod's best (a match where they both played their best and Potro won).

I NEVER SAID THAT POTRO'S BEST IS BETTER THAN SOD'S !

In fact, I never said that anyone's best is better than somebody else's best.

You shouldn't even be talking to me. You should be talking to Glory. He said that Sod's best is better than Potro's best.

rubbERR
06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
delpo is better of course because he is younger

BodyServe
06-06-2010, 10:35 AM
delpo is better of course because he is younger

But look how injured he is, poor lad may have passed his peak already.

Sombrerero loco
06-06-2010, 10:36 AM
ballbashers :o

tennishero
06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
if Sod wins today he will be better than JMDP

But look how injured he is, poor lad may have passed his peak already.

http://st.forocoches.com/foro/images/smilies/facepalm.gif

rocketassist
06-06-2010, 11:03 AM
ballbashers :o

Simon :o

Sombrerero loco
06-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Simon :o

simon rules :wavey:

gusavo
06-06-2010, 11:21 AM
You seem to also have problems reading or understanding your own posts. In first sentence of your previous post you asked me for proof that Potro's best is better than Sod's best (a match where they both played their best and Potro won).
you wanted him to show you a match where they both played at their best and sod won. they have played i think three times. show him a match where they both played their best at all, or any two players played their best.

Cloudygirl
06-06-2010, 11:22 AM

Del Potro beat Rafa and Roger to win a slam.

If Soderling does that this week then arguably it will be a better performance because beating Rafa on clay is arguably the greater feat. Two years in a row on clay is :worship:

In terms of consistency, pre injury Del Po was better. Whether that will be the case when he comes back remains to be seen.

Certinfy
06-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Ballbashers > Pushers.

Nuff said.

Sombrerero loco
06-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Ballbashers > Pushers.

Nuff said.

simon is not a pusher :o

JanKowalski
06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok, this is getting ridiculous ...

you wanted him to show you a match where they both played at their best and sod won.

Yes, because he said that Sod's best is better than Potro's. I asked him for proof of that statement. There isn't any.

show him a match where they both played their best at all, or any two players played their best.

Why should I do that ? I never made any statements that some player's best is better than other players's best. I don't have anything to proove. Again, you should be arguing with Glory, not me.

Sapeod
06-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Why should he argue with me? :confused: I mean, there's a reason he's arguing with you :rolleyes:

Clydey
06-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Del Potro.

Sander.
06-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Soderling for me, also because he managed to be in the RG final twice by defeating great players.

tennishero
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
so after today, Soderling still has 0 slams, and Delpo has 1.

rocketassist
06-06-2010, 03:12 PM
so after today, Soderling still has 0 slams, and Delpo has 1.

Moaning all the time about Murray the ugly pusher, yet you're here actively cheering for the retriever in this final.

Great logic!!!

tennishero
06-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Moaning all the time about Murray the ugly pusher, yet you're here actively cheering for the retriever in this final.

Great logic!!!

rafa is more aggressive than murray.. also, soderling is awful when he comes to the net, he is incredibly one dimensional, at least nadal has a good all around game.

.-Federers_Mate-.
06-06-2010, 03:52 PM
soderling by a country mile

their shouldnt even be a discussion about it

Persimmon
06-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Looks like Del Potro.

He won his first slam final.

Nerves of steel.

tennishero
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
soderling by a country mile

their shouldnt even be a discussion about it

:lol: i really hope ur being sarcastic.

danieln1
06-06-2010, 08:04 PM
Del Petro I think can be more effective than Soderling at times, but they´re great ballbashers...

Robin should have won today´s final if he played well...

tennishero
06-07-2010, 09:32 AM
the poll was really close at the start, like 20/25.. now theres a big gap 51/84 - there is hope on mtf after all.

henke007
06-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Delpo has the Slam already if somewhat gifted by Fed and Sod has 2 str8 slam finals!!

That said i think Sod has the better serve overall inkl 2nd serve. I think Sods FH is a bit better overall even if Delpo's is a killer. BH no doubt Sod has the better one. Movement Sod wins to or else he wouldn't be so good on clay. The movement is the one thing that Sod has improved the last years. Mentally i think its pretty even but maybe Delpo has a slight lead here. They are both useless at the net.

rocketassist
06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
the poll was really close at the start, like 20/25.. now theres a big gap 51/84 - there is hope on mtf after all.

:haha: shush.

christallh24
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I'll have to give it to the guy who has won a slam. But if it was between a Del Potro match and Soderling, I'd have a go with the Sod.

laurie-1
06-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Delpo has the Slam already if somewhat gifted by Fed and Sod has 2 str8 slam finals!!

That said i think Sod has the better serve overall inkl 2nd serve. I think Sods FH is a bit better overall even if Delpo's is a killer. BH no doubt Sod has the better one. Movement Sod wins to or else he wouldn't be so good on clay. The movement is the one thing that Sod has improved the last years. Mentally i think its pretty even but maybe Delpo has a slight lead here. They are both useless at the net.

That's an interesting analysis because I actually look at it from the opposite point of view.

I believe Soderling has done better on clay because it doesn’t expose his lack of movement as it would on grass and hardcourts.

I observed yesterday in the French Open final that every time Nadal hit a low slice in the rally, Soderling never bent his knees once to get down to the ball and lost nearly every point in that situation. Clearly that is not going to work on grass. Also, as he’s a tall man and can hit down and hard and flat, high shots into his hitting zone are just what he likes; however, I also noticed when asked to get forward, Soderling is not able to change his grip quickly and consistently to hit good volleys or good approach shots. So again, that will be exposed on grass. So on grass, I would be surprised if Soderling got really deep at Wimbledon.

On hardcourts, I think Soderling is vulnerable again. The way he hits the ball, on fast surfaces and light balls, I for see a lot of unforced errors consistently and I also think if you get Robin on the run in the rallies, he’s definitely vulnerable to errors when pushed out wide.

I think Del Potro has demonstrated that despite his height, he moves very well for a tall guy.

Del Potro reminds me of Krajicek (not game style) He and Krajicek move very nicely for tall guys but are susceptible to injuries due to their frame.

I still think Del Potro is the better all round player and has the chance to improve further as he’s only 21.