The future of tennis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The future of tennis?

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Did we see a glimpse of the future today?

- Tall (at least 6'4)?

- Double handed backhand?

- Huge serve and massive power off both wings?

- Not much variety but brutally effective - hit with power from one side to the other, rinse, repeat? WTA has already been taken over by this style of play.

There are more and more players like this. Soderling, Berdych, Gulbis and obviously Del Potro. Roger has held this type of player off for several years but he is pushing 30 now, his reflexes aren't what they were and this is the second time in three slams that he has been taken out by a power hitter.

Are we seeing the unstoppable rise of the unidimensional ballbasher and, if so, is this a good thing for the men's tour?

Mjau!
06-01-2010, 08:07 PM
The WTA was 10 years ahead of the ATP! Men's tennis is finally starting to catch up! But the ATP version will serve well and be more consistent!

Sophocles
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
I fcking hope not. We'll need a new version of Federer to keep them at bay.

tennishero
06-01-2010, 08:09 PM
it has always been like this.. look at safin.

Johnny Groove
06-01-2010, 08:10 PM
No.

There will be a player with all the shots, great defense, offense, serve, volley, drop shots, lobs, backhand, forehand, great footwork, movement, excellent tactician.

Except he will only be 5'9''.

Tennis is cyclical.

oranges
06-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Could you make any more of a gross generalization? The four mentioned are not that similar at all and they are even less reminiscent of WTA ballbashers.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
06-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Could you make any more of a gross generalization? The four mentioned are not that similar at all and they are even less reminiscent of WTA ballbashers.

Pleased to see that you're showing your usual level of appreciation for my posts, oranges. :)

oranges
06-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Well, so much insight in them, hard not to show appreciation.

ShotmaKer
06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
lol, in lack of a better word.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Really hope an amazing S&V player comes along soon. We need more of those.

MacTheKnife
06-01-2010, 08:25 PM
NO, let's hope the talent level doesn't drop so far it's ALL ball bashing. To damn much of that now.

Filo V.
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
It isn't a good thing for the tour but I do think it is the future.

Merton
06-01-2010, 08:28 PM
Bleak.

peribsen
06-01-2010, 08:34 PM
I hope tennis doesn´t go the way of basketball, where you mostly have to be a freak to make the big teams. If S&V comes back and points are only 2-3 shots, the sport will return to 1990s low point of boredom.
Pitty we can´t clone Fred... wait, that's suddenly given me an idea....

Sophocles
06-01-2010, 08:46 PM
There will be a player with all the shots, great defense, offense, serve, volley, drop shots, lobs, backhand, forehand, great footwork, movement, excellent tactician.

And he'll come from Rockhampton, Australia....

tyruk14
06-01-2010, 08:47 PM
Really hope an amazing S&V player comes along soon. We need more of those.

I think it's inevitable that a serve-volleyer is waiting in the wings. One day a player with such deft touch and precision will rise through the rankings and these monotonous bashers won't know how to deal with him.

Certinfy
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
I sure hope so :D

laurie-1
06-01-2010, 08:54 PM

- Tall (at least 6'4)?

- Not much variety but brutally effective - hit with power from one side to the other, rinse, repeat? WTA has already been taken over by this style of play.

There are more and more players like this. Soderling, Berdych, Gulbis and obviously Del Potro. Roger has held this type of player off for several years but he is pushing 30 now, his reflexes aren't what they were and this is the second time in three slams that he has been taken out by a power hitter.

Are we seeing the unstoppable rise of the unidimensional ballbasher and, if so, is this a good thing for the men's tour?

Good question actually. We know what many chaps here think about the state of the womens game which has gone in this direction a few years earlier.

We have to wait and see. What we do know is that the players who stay number 1 the longest throughout history have been the most versatile players. So the players you mentioned do not have the game to stay number 1 for any long periods of time.

Therefore like in the womens game, as a result we could see the number 1 ranking changing hands often until a superior talent comes along and applies a winning mentality to a superior Tennis game.

Ibracadabra
06-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Roger is finished holding of this new generation. His last battle he won against a real top hitter was del potro at the french last year. Expect more of the same in the future with regards to hard courts. Grass will be the same, del potro and soderking dont like the bounce.

tennis2tennis
06-01-2010, 08:59 PM
I was really hoping for a Federer-like player ala Gasquet takes over (but the kid's not all there:rolleyes:) my next hope was for the Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov but he (like roger) is not an early developer. anyway Ihope during Roger's reign more all-round/finess like kids are making their way through the ranking...another one to look out for would be Russia's Andrey Kuznetsov.

DwyaneWade
06-01-2010, 09:25 PM
Yes, unfortunately. Federer held them off for a while, but maturity and Federer's decline have led to the rise of the ballbashers. Until the next great talent emerges, probably is playing 12s or 13s at the moment.

MurrayFan1
06-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Because serve and volleying is so great to watch as well. I'd love if every player was a Mardy Fish clone.

why,marat,why?
06-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Oh please shut UP. How many more know-nothings are going to start reactionary threads like this based off of one match? Yes, the future of tennis will include players with the aforementioned characteristics. So does the current state of tennis, and tennis of the past. Tennis will always have variety. You are no soothe-sayer.

rocketassist
06-01-2010, 09:46 PM
it has always been like this.. look at safin.

:spit: Safin a ballbasher with no variety? Jeez!!!

rocketassist
06-01-2010, 09:47 PM
Soderling is a ballstriker and not a ballbasher anyway.

Nidhogg
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
The game has become more and more power-oriented ever since players really started to hit the gym, combined with overdimensioned racquets, sweetspots and modern day string technology.

I've said it before, but the evolution would have been different if there had been limits to aspects like racquet headsize from the start. It's harder to talk about restrictions on strings, and of course we can't ban players from working out and bulking up.

madmax
06-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Soderling is a ballstriker and not a ballbasher anyway.

this:worship:Soda is more of a shotmaker than basher - Del Pony fits ballbasher category perfectly though

yuri27
06-01-2010, 10:30 PM
I was really hoping for a Federer-like player ala Gasquet takes over (but the kid's not all there:rolleyes:) my next hope was for the Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov but he (like roger) is not an early developer. anyway Ihope during Roger's reign more all-round/finess like kids are making their way through the ranking...another one to look out for would be Russia's Andrey Kuznetsov.

Don't bury him too soon,he is still only 23.
When you see that guys like Berdych or Soderling are now maturing at 24-25,there is still huge hope for Gasquet,especially considering the level of play he showed recently.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Don't bury him too soon,he is still only 23.
When you see that guys like Berdych or Soderling are now maturing at 24-25,there is still huge hope for Gasquet,especially considering the level of play he showed recently.
Tbh richie, Gasquet isn't going to get any better. Sure, if he keeps his head together, he'll have a good career, but having top 4 success is WAY past him now.

DrJules
06-01-2010, 10:37 PM

- Tall (at least 6'4)?

No.

Tennis is cyclical.

Considering people are growing taller and stronger I am going with answer 1.

yuri27
06-01-2010, 10:41 PM
Tbh richie, Gasquet isn't going to get any better. Sure, if he keeps his head together, he'll have a good career, but having top 4 success is WAY past him now.

Would you have predicted few years ago that huge mental midgets like Soderling,Berdych or even Verdasco would have the results they've had in recent times??

You're talking about his head but that's actually not even Gasquet's biggest weakness: his biggest weakness by far is his fitness and that's something he can very easily improve.
The day he'll have the fitness his talent deserves then i believe top 4 will be a strict minimum for him.

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 10:46 PM
Nope, that's what makes tennis so fun. You usually never know what will happen, except in obvious cicumstances like Nadal on clay.

Gasquet's mental toughness has been rather weak throughout his career, as has his fitness. Sure, he's a git guy, but that comes into question in long matches and slams mostly.

yuri27
06-01-2010, 11:05 PM
Nope, that's what makes tennis so fun. You usually never know what will happen, except in obvious cicumstances like Nadal on clay.

Gasquet's mental toughness has been rather weak throughout his career, as has his fitness. Sure, he's a git guy, but that comes into question in long matches and slams mostly.

Yeah but once again,he is still only 23.
Some people take a longer time to mature(see Mauresmo or Novotna in WTA)

Sapeod
06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Yeah but once again,he is still only 23.
Some people take a longer time to mature(see Mauresmo or Novotna in WTA)
That maybe so, but it is very rare, and I don't think Gasquet is one of these rare cases, Richie.

Everko
06-01-2010, 11:28 PM
People thought the same when Safin came along

Quakes
06-01-2010, 11:32 PM
I think it's inevitable that a serve-volleyer is waiting in the wings. One day a player with such deft touch and precision will rise through the rankings and these monotonous bashers won't know how to deal with him.

Um, ripping supersonic passing shots with carbon fiber rackets? Like they do now?

Filo V.
06-01-2010, 11:35 PM
I sure hope so :D

You like ball bashing? OK, whatever floats your boat.

leng jai
06-01-2010, 11:38 PM
The Scottish Dolt will save us from these ballbashing clowns.

Filo V.
06-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Players like Roger or Djokovic are so much more interesting that players like Isner or Soderling or Karlovic etc. who basically hit hard, and then hit harder if that doesn't work. Baseball on a tennis court is simply not what this game is about or should be about. It's fun for a while but then it gets repetitive. Unfortunately both WTA and ATP are have gone down this route of players with no real tactical game or variety. It's to the detriment of the sport.

Filo V.
06-01-2010, 11:41 PM
The Scottish Dolt will save us from these ballbashing clowns.
Murray is actually probably even worse, because he is a pusher. Ballbashers at least can show some great winners and exciting hard hitting. Murray does nothing outside of his movement that is interesting or exciting to watch.

Bibberz
06-01-2010, 11:43 PM
No.

Tennis is cyclical.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/8362/xris2.jpg

tyruk14
06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Um, ripping supersonic passing shots with carbon fiber rackets? Like they do now?

Ye of little faith, my friend.

yuri27
06-02-2010, 12:26 AM
That maybe so, but it is very rare, and I don't think Gasquet is one of these rare cases, Richie.

Very rare???
There are plenty of guys who reached their peak after 23.

dodo
06-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Very rare???
There are plenty of guys who reached their peak after 23.

Yeah, but he is 23 already today and his peak is nowhere in sight.

BlackSilver
06-02-2010, 12:44 AM
It was not you that thought that Federer had outaced Sampras?

The Magician
06-02-2010, 01:55 AM
There's too much variety on the ATP for it to become like the WTA. However the new generation has shown you can gain height without losing speed or defensive ability, and in many cases gain defense thanks to increased reach. The best height now is 6'1, but it seems to be trending towards 6'4/6'5.

Persimmon
06-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Ballbashing baby!

Amber Spyglass
06-02-2010, 03:10 AM
The future lies in the ballbashing grinder obviously...

BlackSilver
06-02-2010, 04:00 AM
There's too much variety on the ATP for it to become like the WTA. However the new generation has shown you can gain height without losing speed or defensive ability, and in many cases gain defense thanks to increased reach. The best height now is 6'1, but it seems to be trending towards 6'4/6'5.

God......

straitup
06-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Well certainly it's not going to be like the WTA serve-wise :eek:

mcnasty
06-02-2010, 08:42 PM
it's like ping pong with players hitting the ball as they do and being as big and tall as they are. it's not a good thing aesthetically but it's good in that there won't be a juggernaut, in that there might be more drama from one major tournament to the next and so forth.

Sapeod
06-02-2010, 08:44 PM
The messiah of tennis has yet to be born.

Nidhogg
06-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Well certainly it's not going to be like the WTA serve-wise :eek:

I wouldn't actually be too sure of that. The ridiculous kick Sam Stosur gets on her serve is much due to the strings Babolat came out with recently. She may well be an early prototype of many WTA players to come.

Of course the serve will never be as dominant as it is on the ATP, but I can definitely see it become more and more of a weapon.