Is Nadal not injury prone anymore? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Nadal not injury prone anymore?

Mjau!
05-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Well, for awhile there, the future was starting to look really grim for Rafa after knee injuries stopped him in 2 of the first 4 tournaments this year. Considering how he struggled the year before, I feared that Nadal's career was about to go downhill as the state of his knees seemed to be detereorating rapidly. But now, I'm not so sure anymore. Nadal's clay court season so far has been a pleasant surprise, going on a streak of soon to be 4 consecutive tournament wins without any sign of an injury. Could it be that Nadal's chronic knee problems are a thing of the past? Or will they resurface post-Wimbledon? Either way, I think it's safe to say that Rafael wont have any problems with aching knees on clay or grass. :yeah:

ossie
05-31-2010, 08:56 PM
i think he plays differently now to conserve the knees, but he can still fuck up if he decides to play 50 tournaments in 2 weeks

doublebackhand
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
lets see when the hardcourt season rolls around

Beforehand
05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Not unless he loses. ;)

Nidhogg
05-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Clay is easy on the knees and joints, and he has scheduled his dirt season wisely this time. Also, it's obvious that he is striving to become more aggressive on all surfaces, but I don't think we will ever see him as confident as he once was on hard.

Time will tell.

samanosuke
05-31-2010, 09:06 PM
He isn't inured till the first loss

SetSampras
05-31-2010, 09:10 PM
His ridiculous schedule before is what made him injury prone. On court 10 days after winning the Australian Open? Thats just stupid.. As long as he keeps this type of scheduling that he is maintaining no he should be alright for the rest of the year and a contender at wimbledon and the USO as well.

Of course grass and clay are surfaces that much easier on the knees.

That being said though.. I only reasonably expect Nadal to be a contender for slams for another 2 season anyways.. if he was smarter earlier in his career he wouldn't be paying for it the next 4-5 seasons

BigJohn
05-31-2010, 09:24 PM
Not unless he loses. ;)

Touché.

delpiero7
05-31-2010, 09:29 PM

He's lost 2 times since his last injury (to Ljubicic and Roddick). Still no sign of injury, but 19 consecutive victories under his belt.

tyruk14
05-31-2010, 09:30 PM
If he skips one of the USO series masters then I think he'll survive the year. As long as he manages his schedule correctly from here on out, I'm sure he can keep playing until his late twenties.

delpiero7
05-31-2010, 09:32 PM
If he skips one of the USO series masters then I think he'll survive the year. As long as he manages his schedule correctly from here on out, I'm sure he can keep playing until his late twenties.

Yup, he should consider doing what Del Potro did last year and skip Cinci. Winning in Toronto will be preperation enough for the US Open ;)

Mjau!
05-31-2010, 09:37 PM
Well, I believe Rafito has scheduled pretty well since last summer and he still managed to injure himself on two seperate occassions. That's why the situation was looking so severe. Did the clay save him or was he just unlucky?

He's lost 2 times since his last injury (to Ljubicic and Roddick). Still no sign of injury, but 19 consecutive victories under his belt.

He was injured vs Roddick. Didn't you hear him scream profanities while physically abusing his right knee?

l_mac
05-31-2010, 10:08 PM
Not unless he loses. ;)

:haha:

Hilarious :yeah: and yet also so clever.

Johnny Groove
05-31-2010, 10:10 PM
lets see when the hardcourt season rolls around

Bingo.

federernadalfan
05-31-2010, 10:15 PM
Yup, he should consider doing what Del Potro did last year and skip Cinci. Winning in Toronto will be preperation enough for the US Open ;)

agreed, he should skip cincy to best his chances for us open, but he is not likely to unfortunately
bigger chance for his knee to flare up

Beforehand
05-31-2010, 10:20 PM
:haha:

Hilarious :yeah: and yet also so clever.

Aww, lighten up Linda. :hug:

If I didn't do it, someone else was going to. :p

Vida
05-31-2010, 10:23 PM
he is still not in the 2008 form.

l_mac
05-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Aww, lighten up Linda. :hug:

If I didn't do it, someone else was going to. :p

What? I was positively revelling in the predictability! Didn't you see my smilies? :haha: and :yeah:

Again, my congratulations. It's almost like this thread was set up for a stream of posts such as yours. What a genius this Mjau! is.

Matt01
05-31-2010, 11:34 PM

It's the other way round...he won't lose until he gets injured ;)

ShotmaKer
05-31-2010, 11:51 PM
lol, good baiting thread. by the way, he has chronic tendonitis. but i take it you know what chronic means.

gulzhan
06-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Rafa is not in his best form (unlike Federer who is), so stop jinxing!

andylovesaustin
06-01-2010, 02:54 AM
I think he's still... affected by the tendinitis issue even though it's ever so slightly noticeable.

I adore the guy... but I do think he is still injury prone.

superslam77
06-01-2010, 03:01 AM
He's not injury prone at all for the reckless way he plays.

His style has done this to him. Just look at Del Potro,Nalbandian,Davydenko...these guys run much less than him and get injured all the time.

The guy is not in such a good form but won't matter, it's clay. WAIT A WEEK OR 2 WHEN THE CLAY SEASON IS OVER!!! :devil:

andylovesaustin
06-01-2010, 03:05 AM
He's not injury prone at all for the reckless way he plays.

His style has done this to him. Just look at Del Potro,Nalbandian,Davydenko...these guys run much less than him and get injured all the time.

The guy is not in such a good form but won't matter, it's clay. WAIT A WEEK OR 2 WHEN THE CLAY SEASON IS OVER!!! :devil:

I actually agree with this in a sort of round-about-way.

I just think with his style of play, how can he NOT be injury prone.

I know he's really trying to figure out a way... but dayum.. the guy works really hard for every win, it seems. :shrug:

Priam
06-01-2010, 03:47 AM
The pain in his knees is still there. It probably will never go away throughout his playing career. It just has to be managed/monitored wisely.

MrChopin
06-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Not unless he loses. ;)

This is the answer. Loss on hard = mono. Loss on grass = mono+typhoid. Loss on clay = mono+typoid+aids+malaria+h1n1+tendinitis+unlucky draw.

Forehander
06-01-2010, 07:16 AM
His backhand has been improving lately to create less of chance for opponents to attack. The aggression has definitely raised as he would power it down the line or cross court whenever he sees the chance, making the opponent less likely be able to counter or put him on the defense. You will also notice that he is hitting a little less open stance backhand than before, and that is a good way to preserve his right knee. I believe his new strings also helps since it raises his level of top spin dramatically and he's more and more use to it with every match. This is the game that I foresaw Nadal would one day play, it's unfortunate that he is only starting to play this way now after his knees are already injured. Nobody has more room for improvement than this guy.

Har-Tru
06-01-2010, 07:26 AM
Wait and see.

Nadal IS injured, or do you think he went from beating and cursing his knee to kneervana in weeks?

He's playing with pain and limited, and I wouldn't be so sure his problems won't "resurface" on clay or grass.

In any case, I think Nadal's career is going downhill and I doubt he'll ever win a slam ever again.

Forehander
06-01-2010, 07:27 AM
Wait and see.

Nadal IS injured, or do you think he went from beating and cursing his knee to kneervana in weeks?

He's playing with pain and limited, and I wouldn't be so sure his problems won't "resurface" on clay or grass.

In any case, I think Nadal's career is going downhill and I doubt he'll ever win a slam ever again.

What?

Har-Tru
06-01-2010, 07:28 AM
What?

Wait and see.

Forehander
06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Wait and see.

The last paragraph from what you posted seemed more like sarcasm... For Grand Slams. It'll be hard for him to win on hard courts but he still has a great chance on grass and clay.

Har-Tru
06-01-2010, 08:00 AM
The last paragraph from what you posted seemed more like sarcasm... For Grand Slams. It'll be hard for him to win on hard courts but he still has a great chance on grass and clay.

It's not sarcasm, it's just what I think will happen.

tkr
06-01-2010, 09:59 AM
I think he's still in pain, but uses injections/painkillers etc every day to keep it in check.

We all know his history when it comes to medical substances, and this is no different.

Another RogFan
06-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I think he's still in pain, but uses injections/painkillers etc every day to keep it in check.

We all know his history when it comes to medical substances, and this is no different.

His family has strong traditions in this, but I think we should consider him pure unless the opposite is proven. Till then:confused:

peribsen
06-01-2010, 11:30 AM

No, we don´t. Please tell us.

paseo
06-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Wait and see.

He has a great chance to win this one. But, a combination of a fired-up Djokovic and NinjaFed might spoil it, though.

peribsen
06-01-2010, 01:11 PM
He has a great chance to win this one. But, a combination of a fired-up Djokovic and NinjaFed might spoil it, though.

And don´t forget Soderling quite so soon! I hope Nadal wins this one, but I'm not so sure he will.

Certinfy
06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
As soon as he loses at RG all the injuries will start.

FormerRafaFan
06-01-2010, 01:31 PM

Uhm, I'm sorry, what? No, we don't..

Unless you have ny proof, I mean, you're always innocent until proven gulity, so..

FormerRafaFan
06-01-2010, 01:34 PM

Fed and Sod is more of a challange than Djokovic. Djokovic has not been that good, how many times did it go to 4 sets?

Start da Game
06-01-2010, 01:53 PM
he is still not in the 2008 form.

the day he hits such form again, tennis will not get any better than that.......it could happen this year.......

paseo
06-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Fed and Sod is more of a challange than Djokovic. Djokovic has not been that good, how many times did it go to 4 sets?

But he can't face both Fed and Soderling here. It's either Fed or Soderling. So, maybe a combination of a fired-up Djokovic and Soderling v.RG09 might also derail Nadal.

Riosreigned
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
As soon as he loses at RG all the injuries will start.

That's exactly what it is. Love Rafa but when he loses or is losing, that's when he brings out his injuries. Oldest trick in the book. But the nice guy always gets the benefit of the doubt - so long as he doesn't do it too much. And Rafa and Toni have used the injury cards masterfully.

It's a wonder he's not limping around with a cane these days how bad they made those creaky knees to be :) Pure masterful media manipulation at it's best.

BlueSwan
06-01-2010, 02:23 PM
Nadal is not injury prone at all. He plays an incredibly physical game and has been playing a million tournaments a year up until this season. He's got chronic tendinitis in his knees which sucks, but is still something that can be mostly managed, especially with more clever scheduling. Aside from the knees he has barely had any issues at all, which is rather amazing given his style of play.

With clever scheduling and a somewhat more aggressive gameplan, he'll stay in the top 3 for many many years to come. Infact I believe that he'll clock in at least another 100 weeks at #1. He hasn't won his last non-clay slam either.

peribsen
06-01-2010, 02:50 PM
That's exactly what it is. Love Rafa but when he loses or is losing, that's when he brings out his injuries. Oldest trick in the book. But the nice guy always gets the benefit of the doubt - so long as he doesn't do it too much. And Rafa and Toni have used the injury cards masterfully.

It's a wonder he's not limping around with a cane these days how bad they made those creaky knees to be :) Pure masterful media manipulation at it's best.

So you think he missed Wimbledon so we wouldn´t notice he was malingering, do you? And during the last 6 months he also crafted his losses against guys he usually had beaten before just to justify his injury claim? Interesting idea, if it wasn´t so plainly foolish.

FormerRafaFan
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
But he can't face both Fed and Soderling here. It's either Fed or Soderling. So, maybe a combination of a fired-up Djokovic and Soderling v.RG09 might also derail Nadal.

I know he can either face Sod or Fed. I'm just saying that I don't think Djokovic will be that much of a challenge. He hasn't impressed during RG. Like I said, he let many sets go on to 4, and it seems like he's still struggling with his allergies.

I think Sod could be a much tougher opponent for Rafa than Fed, but I guess with Rafa's luck he'll end up with Fed and win yet again.

Apemant
06-01-2010, 05:32 PM

If he had lost to Gulbis in Rome, and he was like an inch away from that, I'm quite sure he would've been injured then, already. :devil:

Mjau!
06-06-2010, 05:31 PM
22 matches in 8 weeks and the knees are in stunning form. Impressive.

ossie
06-06-2010, 05:34 PM
22 matches in 8 weeks and the knees are in stunning form. Impressive.he did lose 2 sets in 4 tournaments including a grand slam so i dont think his knees are 100% yet

Priam
06-06-2010, 05:37 PM
They'll never be 100% ever again. Just has to manage the pain.

LaFuria
06-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Nadal is only "injured" when he loses, duh

Mjau!
09-23-2010, 02:56 AM
I was right, no?

Mjau!
09-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Wait and see.

:p

Topspindoctor
09-23-2010, 04:20 AM
If he had lost to Gulbis in Rome, and he was like an inch away from that, I'm quite sure he would've been injured then, already. :devil:

Nadal was nowhere near losing that match. All serve Gulbis was only hanging in there because he served at like 80% with billion aces. Nadal dominated him in rallies.

Start da Game
12-09-2010, 08:33 AM
what a pathetic thread........taking a player's injury as the central point of discussion and questioning if he will not be injury prone again........it's just mocking at his injuries in an ironical way and in a way hoping for an injury by reminding people of his previous injuries........

we have cheap class threads like this still hanging around but not the discussion oriented ones........keep it up clowns........

Mjau!
03-23-2011, 10:40 PM
Will Rafa manage to avoid another injury in a crucial part of the season? They say he schedules better, but I don't see any difference and he had muscle tear in Australia... :shrug:

Nadull_tard
03-23-2011, 10:51 PM
I doubt it. Rafa is an injury prone only when he's out of form, it has been such a great excuse for so many years that I assume Nadal started to truly believe in this whole "Injury as an obstacle from winning so many titles" shit. I'm pretty sure he will reveal he's seriously injured right after losing a match on clay/grass, so people can believe once again that his body was a barrier from reaching the skies.

abraxas21
03-23-2011, 11:02 PM
the idea of nadal being injury prone has been vastly exxagerated by the media.

he's had some issues with his knees but nothing that bad when compared to other guys who actually have had serious injuries. he's never endured a serious operation or has been marginalized for an extended period of time due to physical problems. yet, the tards and the idiotic fans will believe everything that comes from nadulls mouth or uncle toni's.

GlennMirnyi
03-23-2011, 11:09 PM
We all know what's the deal.

And also he's only injured when he loses.

Sonja1989
03-23-2011, 11:17 PM
OMG, this thread! :help:

He was injury in Australian Open...

Guys do you think this Rafa, who is so great as clay court season in last year... can playing too bad compared to himself without injury? Okay, maybe he isn't in good form sometimes... but I think for example who watched his match against Ferrer don't think this serious...

GlennMirnyi
03-23-2011, 11:27 PM
I don't believe a word Nadull says.

shiaben
03-23-2011, 11:39 PM
He still is, but now that they have this laser therapy crap. It makes use of miracles.

FlameOn
03-23-2011, 11:51 PM
His knees have been good since late-'09. Whoever his doctor is, he deserves sainthood. :D

Action Jackson
03-24-2011, 12:55 AM
Only injury prone when he loses.

tennisfan856
03-24-2011, 01:17 AM
really depends if he was bluffing or not on his tendonitis. If he wasn't, he is sure to have it back in the future.

Luinir
03-24-2011, 02:01 AM

Hater.

BigJohn
03-24-2011, 03:11 AM

Lucid .

Fixed for accuracy.

NadalYoung
03-24-2011, 05:27 AM
Well he skipped the Charity Football (Soccer) match today. He showed up for the pictures and then left so he would not have a chance to get injured. I talked to him on the way out and he told me when I asked him why he was leaving "to prevent injury"

Stefanos13
03-25-2011, 10:01 AM
Well he skipped the Charity Football (Soccer) match today. He showed up for the pictures and then left so he would not have a chance to get injured. I talked to him on the way out and he told me when I asked him why he was leaving "to prevent injury"

I have a niggling feeling Nadal may be injured... :confused:

samanosuke
03-25-2011, 10:05 AM
He hasn't recovered yet from IW injury ?

duong
03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Will Rafa manage to avoid another injury in a crucial part of the season? They say he schedules better, but I don't see any difference and he had muscle tear in Australia... :shrug:

people always speak of "schedule" about Nadal, but the main factor since last year was the new medical treatment he got on his knee.

He has not really changed his schedule apart from that, or very little adjustments which have very little impact.

Remember that last year despite losing so few games in Monte-Carlo, he felt a problem in his knee and had to have a plasma injection.

Many people said that it was "clever" from him to skip Barcelona : it was not the matter at all, only that he needed an injection :shrug:

Pirata.
03-25-2011, 10:59 AM
I have a niggling feeling Nadal may be injured... :confused:

NID, Nadal only loses when he's injured. A healthy Nadal would've beaten Djokovic 6-0, 6-0.

Sham Kay
03-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I believe the general rule is losses in grand slams, rather than regular tournaments.

Might have to wait till Wimbledon.

Silvester
03-25-2011, 07:36 PM
he has been lucky with the timing of his injuries. The last two times it was at AO so the time missed after there was no tournaments anyways. Had he pulled leg muscle at the first Clay Masters event and missed 6 weeks it would affect his ranking much more.

Last years injury was at AO as well

duong
03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
he has been lucky with the timing of his injuries. The last two times it was at AO so the time missed after there was no tournaments anyways. Had he pulled leg muscle at the first Clay Masters event and missed 6 weeks it would affect his ranking much more.

Last years injury was at AO as well

he had a problem with his knee in Monte-Carlo last year : that's why he had an injection during Barcelona and missed that tournament.