Melzer breaks into the top 20 for the first time in his career [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Melzer breaks into the top 20 for the first time in his career

andy neyer
05-30-2010, 08:04 PM
I wanted to dedicate this thread to Jürgen Melzer, the leftie from Vienna who always seems to be flying under the radar in spite of having been quite a decent player for several years now.

He turned 29 just a few days ago and by reaching the fourth round of RG he's guaranteed beating his old personal best ranking ever achieved (26th). I haven't computed all the players' numbers but I reckon he should get be ranked around 18-19 if he beats Gabashvili tomorrow. I think that's very possible for him. However, he might feel the pressure, especially considering this is the first time he's reached the fourth round of a GS (if I'm not mistaken)... Wish him luck.

Nathaliia
05-30-2010, 08:06 PM
His biggest trophy however was a Grand Slam winner Anastasia Myskina :)

My best memory of Melzer, when he played Wrocław challenger and it was obvious he had beef with Crazy Dani so I wanted to ask him at the press conference and I started the question in Polish as it was our pattern and he interrupted as soon as I said "Daniel Ko..." with,

"No comment on that person."

Sapeod
05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Hope he does. Great player, love his game. Melzer deserves a top 20 placing. He has the game to go top 10.

Filo V.
05-30-2010, 09:12 PM
Deserves it with the way he's played and really turned the corner in his career mentally and game wise over the past few months. I'm very impressed of him.

scarecrows
05-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Like his game but he's one of the most fragile mentally
good for him if he makes the top 20 and stays there for a while

that said, i'm rooting for Gaba tomorrow

Garson007
05-30-2010, 10:12 PM
Gaba has yet to drop a set. :wavey:

StevoTG
05-30-2010, 10:13 PM
I love watching Jurgen when he plays well, and I think that the match with Gabashvili could be one of the biggest moments in his career. The only thing keeping him from being a top 16 seed is his mental issues and to reach the Quarters of a slam would be a huge deal!

shadows
05-30-2010, 10:18 PM
It would be a well deserved step for him, he's played some great tennis at times this year and if he can just get over his mental issues he might well be able to stick around up there long enough to benefit from it.

DwyaneWade
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
He has the talent to stay top 15, it is his confidence which has held him back. For example, should have beaten Murray at USO 2008 and should have beaten Monfils at FO (is this right?) 2009

Hellraiser
05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Jetzt Geht's Los Jurgen!

ShotmaKer
05-31-2010, 07:34 AM
I fancy his chances to make it to the semis.

andy neyer
05-31-2010, 04:10 PM
He did it!

This Melzer is good.

oranges
05-31-2010, 04:56 PM
:hatoff: Congrats Jurgen. He's amazing at his best (and very frustrating oftentimes even for those of us who don't mind a bit of a headcase)

Bagelicious
05-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Nice! Call me a softie, but I like these types of stories...

Mateya
05-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Happy for Jurgi :)
He still is a bit of a headcase (we don't call him Meltzer for nothing), but has a good game and Austria needs a player like this.

Did he really date Myskina? :spit: What a womanizer, probably the biggest on tour.

Sapeod
05-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Congrats Jurgen!

laurie-1
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Thats incredible that Melzer has never been top 20.

This is proof that talent is not enough to get to the top. Melzer has a game that is better than many top 10 players I've seen in recent times, I can think of players likes Giles Simon for a start. Perhaps he never had the drive or determination to realise his potential.

Nathaliia
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
Happy for Jurgi :)
He still is a bit of a headcase (we don't call him Meltzer for nothing), but has a good game and Austria needs a player like this.

Did he really date Myskina? :spit: What a womanizer, probably the biggest on tour.
With Myskina
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4620/illu3iy5.jpg

With Cibulkova
http://www.tennisreporters.net/tr_net_photos_art/melzer%20cibulkova%20%284%29.jpg

but he was with Vaidisova too

Smoke944
05-31-2010, 06:21 PM

This is proof that talent is not enough to get to the top. Melzer has a game that is better than many top 10 players I've seen in recent times, I can think of players likes Giles Simon for a start. Perhaps he never had the drive or determination to realise his potential.

Sorry, have to disagree with you here. He is talented, but top-10? I don't know about that. And wow, Simon gets no credit here, does he? I'd say that Simon is quite a bit more talented than Melzer.

oranges
05-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Sorry, have to disagree with you here. He is talented, but top-10? I don't know about that. And wow, Simon gets no credit here, does he? I'd say that Simon is quite a bit more talented than Melzer.

How many times have you actually watched him? Excellent all court skills. He should have had Youzhny-like career if not for his head and well, apparently other priorities for which one cannot blame him :p

Everko
05-31-2010, 06:32 PM

what? Melzer's game should be nowhere near the top 10. Glad to see him get to a quarter though because its better than anyone else from that poor section.

Smoke944
05-31-2010, 06:42 PM
How many times have you actually watched him? Excellent all court skills. He should have had Youzhny-like career if not for his head and well, apparently other priorities for which one cannot blame him :p

Dozens of times. He has a very good all around game but nothing huge that stands out like most top-10 players.(though admittedly that's not really necessary for guys that reach the top-10 for short periods of time)

Sapeod
05-31-2010, 07:14 PM
what? Melzer's game should be nowhere near the top 10. Glad to see him get to a quarter though because its better than anyone else from that poor section.
You still talk rubbish as usual. Melzer has a top 10 game and talent, just isn't mentally strong enough.

BTW, Soderling reached past the 4th round of a slam, why are you still posting? :wavey:

oranges
05-31-2010, 07:20 PM
Dozens of times. He has a very good all around game but nothing huge that stands out like most top-10 players.(though admittedly that's not really necessary for guys that reach the top-10 for short periods of time)

Well, you went as far as as saying that Simon is more talented, so technically, you can't invoke the "no significant weapon" ;) Practically every one of his shots is more of weapon, though admittedly none that would be highlighted in the sense of Gonzo's FH or the like.

Smoke944
05-31-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, you went as far as as saying that Simon is more talented, so technically, you can't invoke the "no significant weapon" ;) Practically every one of his shots is more of weapon, though admittedly none that would be highlighted in the sense of Gonzo's FH or the like.

I never used the word weapon anywhere :p
I should have specified more, when I said huge I didn't necessarily mean big weapons but rather something in a player's game that really sticks out. Simon's movement and defense before his injury were absolutely incredible.

Fee
05-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Nice! Call me a softie, but I like these types of stories...

I'll join you in being a softie then because I like this story too.

I have a question: is it just my imagination, or is Jurgen one of the few players who has never had a bad report from tennis fans? He seems to be generally well behaved off court towards just about everyone. Is that correct?

Hellraiser
05-31-2010, 08:34 PM
Nystrom is making a good work with Melzer head.

AnnaK_4ever
05-31-2010, 08:37 PM
With Myskina
http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/4620/illu3iy5.jpg

I hope you were joking cos it's Russian ice hockey player Konstantin Korneev.

sheva07
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
Underrated player. Becoming mentally stronger and he plays great this year. Big thread for almost every player.

doublebackhand
05-31-2010, 09:40 PM
His biggest trophy however was a Grand Slam winner Anastasia Myskina :)

My best memory of Melzer, when he played Wrocław challenger and it was obvious he had beef with Crazy Dani so I wanted to ask him at the press conference and I started the question in Polish as it was our pattern and he interrupted as soon as I said "Daniel Ko..." with,

"No comment on that person."

whats the scoop of this 'crazy dani' story? i wasnt aware of it and it sounds juicy. :)

andy neyer
06-01-2010, 02:35 AM
whats the scoop of this 'crazy dani' story? i wasnt aware of it and it sounds juicy. :)

I don't know but I've always heard they don't get along at all.

I think the main reason Koellerer isn't part of the DC team is because Melzer doesn't want him.

propi
06-01-2010, 03:45 AM
Yay Jurgen :bounce:
Congrats!!!
I guess he will be the first Austrian in top 20 since Muster, Koubek and Schaller :eek:
Long time :o

andy neyer
06-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Now he is in the semis.

The real deal this Melzer.

ShotmaKer
06-03-2010, 01:52 AM
I fancy his chances to make it to the semis.

:)

propi
06-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Finally former Wimbledon junior champion fulfills his destiny :hearts:
Let's hope for another amazing run in Wimbledon :bounce:

andy neyer
06-07-2010, 09:15 PM
With his SF performance in RG, Melzer is now ranked 16th.

Can he keep advancing on the grass? Possibly but not very likely. Defends QF in Halle and a third round in Wimby.

philosophicalarf
06-07-2010, 10:00 PM
With his SF performance in RG, Melzer is now ranked 16th.

Can he keep advancing on the grass? Possibly but not very likely. Defends QF in Halle and a third round in Wimby.

The Halle points are noncountables for him though, so not so bad (though to advance he needs to make a final). Doubtful 250s matter to him too much atm though, cos he'll be kicking one off the board when he plays Paris, and he'll also be looking for improvement in his 500s.

Decent period for him coming up after that though, Wimbly 90pts, then a grand total of 100 to defend at Canada, Cinci, and US Open.

FormerRafaFan
06-07-2010, 10:32 PM
Congrats to Melzer! He had a great run in Roland Garros and he's done good in the past tournaments. This is well deserved.

andy neyer
06-07-2010, 10:36 PM
The Halle points are noncountables for him though, so not so bad (though to advance he needs to make a final). Doubtful 250s matter to him too much atm though, cos he'll be kicking one off the board when he plays Paris, and he'll also be looking for improvement in his 500s.

Decent period for him coming up after that though, Wimbly 90pts, then a grand total of 100 to defend at Canada, Cinci, and US Open.

Yeah, he could make some points in the North American hard court season. I didn't think of that.

Orka_n
06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
Congrats, Jurgen. :yeah:

cobalt60
06-07-2010, 11:18 PM
And congrats to his long suffering fans too :p

abraxas21
10-20-2010, 08:28 AM
well, now melzer is 11th

can he make it to the top 10?

propi
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
well, now melzer is 11th

can he make it to the top 10?
Top 10 year ending with Youzhny in there too could be amazing :hearts:

abraxas21
01-11-2011, 08:15 AM
well the melzinator was named austrian sportsperson of the year in november last year and ended the year ranked 11th, his best ever mark. his next and first tourney of the year will be the AO.

how far will he go?

abraxas21
01-22-2011, 03:14 PM
he makes the top 10!!

so happy for jurgen. i've been following the lad for a while now