Best 4th round matchup? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best 4th round matchup?

out_here_grindin
05-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Which of the 4th round matches will turn out to be the best match? Which one will you make sure to see at all costs?

andy neyer
05-30-2010, 12:00 AM
They all suck.

out_here_grindin
05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
There are a good amount of good matches. Verdasco vs Almagro will probably be the best

GugaF1
05-30-2010, 12:01 AM
They all suck.

Do you like Tennis? Sorry, but if none of these matches interest you, you should consider changing sports.

Pirata.
05-30-2010, 12:13 AM
Most of them kind of suck because they appear to be pretty one-sided. Youzhny-Tsonga/Cilic-Soderling should be good though.

Andi-M
05-30-2010, 12:18 AM
Soderling-Cilic although i hope its not too good, the Sod needs to conserve energy for his QF.

federernadalfan
05-30-2010, 12:54 AM
youzhny-tsonga match and murray-birdman match should be good

DwyaneWade
05-30-2010, 01:01 AM
youzhny-tsonga match and murray-birdman match should be good

Yes I was between those two. Also Federer-Wawrinka could be interesting if Stan brings his A game and NinjaFed does not make an appearance. The bottom half will probably be :o except for Nadal-Belluci, but you never know if Ginepri and Verdasco can recover quickly and make things exciting.

andy neyer
05-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Do you like Tennis? Sorry, but if none of these matches interest you, you should consider changing sports.

In all honesty, I guess I'm looking forward to Murray-Berdych, Federer-Wawa, Almagro-Verdasco and Djokovic-Ginepri (I still think Djoko won't make it to the semis).

We'll see how it goes.

straitup
05-30-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm personally looking forward to Melzer-Gabashvili :lol: I can't even say that with a straight face. I think all of them have the potential to be good except that one (who knows, maybe it'll have Monfils level drama), Nadal-Bellucci, and maybe Djokovic-Ginepri.

chowdahead25
05-30-2010, 01:35 AM
Djoker-Ginepri

ApproachShot
05-30-2010, 02:24 AM
The Swiss battle will be very interesting given the history between these two players and their friendship. Furthermore one must bear in mind that this is Federer's worst surface and Wawrinka's favoured one, with Wawrinka's victory sole victory over his compatriot being on the clay of Monte Carlo in 2008. Federer will feel confident after his recent straight sets win over Wawrinka in Rome but I feel that this match will be more competitive. At any rate, I'm looking forward to a feast of single handed backhands in this match!

I feel that Cilic vs Soderling would be a better matchup on hard courts rather than clay. It's an interesting one given that they both have strong serves - perhaps by virtue of their height - and powerful baseline game with relatively flat groundstrokes (Del Potro also comes to mind and Cilic has played very competitively against him). Added to that is the fact that they've never played each other before so this is one I would not like to miss.

Murray vs Berdych could go either way in my opinion. Murray may consider himself lucky to still be in the tournament after edging past Gasquet in the first round after being two sets and a break down. He has lost a set in each of his next two matches and clay is clearly not his strongest surface. But despite all this he has been playing well and has regained the form that deserted him after the Australian Open. But Berdych has had a good tournament so far and looks strong. It could well go to a final set to decide the outcome.

Like Murray, Tsonga is also a little fortunate to still be playing after surviving a 5 set encounter with
Brands in the first round. Again, clay is not his best surface but in my opinion that makes the match more exciting. He will have the French crowd behind him but Youzhny has looked solid; take his match against Troicki for example. I'm looking forward to the variety of play in this game.

Gabashvilli vs Melzer is interesting in its own right because with all due respect I don't think many people would have predicted that they could make it this far. But both players deserve to be here on the basis of their matches against Roddick and Ferrer respectively and are playing arguably the best tennis of their careers. A lot could come down to their mental approaches to the match.

Djokovic vs Ginepri is likely going to be a one-sided affair. No disrespect to Ginepri - he has had a wonderful tournament so far. But he is yet to win a set against Djokovic in the 4 matches they have played against each other and it would likely take a strong effort from him to reverse this negative streak. I don't think we'll see the bagels we saw in Roland Garros 2005 but will consider himself fortunate that he is not playing Ferrero instead.

Verdasco and Almagro seem to have a propensity to get involved in tight matches - no less to their compatriots. I'm sure Verdasco may be tired after his long 5 set match against Kohlschreiber, but Almagro may not be so fresh either having played and won his doubles match with partner Santiago Ventura. Looking forward to the long rallies between Verdasco's lefty forehand and Almagro's single-handed backhand!

And finally that brings me to Nadal vs Bellucci (yes, I know Bellucci is a lefty too). The Brazilian is very much the dark horse in this year's competition. He's in a not too dissimilar position rankings-wise to where Soderling last year, although I very much doubt that he will be able to repeat Soderling's heroics at this stage of the French Open last year. Partly because Nadal is having quite simply the best clay court season of the open era thus far. It's difficult to see who can stop his seemingly inexorable campaign towards his 5th title on the clay of Paris. The interesting statistic will be how many games Nadal loses. But this is tennis and stranger things have been known to happen - and I'm sure he will not be taking anything for granted.

Ibracadabra
05-30-2010, 02:26 AM
Definately gabashvilli and melzer.

n8
05-30-2010, 03:05 AM
They all suck.

Wow, I expect better from you. There are some matches here worthy of quarter-finals, especially Verdasco-Almagro, but I think I would most like to see Federer-Wawrinka. It's interesting that Djokovic now has potentially the easiest draw to the semis (after Ferrero and Ferrer were eliminated):

Teimuraz Gabashvili RUS
v
Jurgen Melzer AUT (22)

Robby Ginepri USA
v
Novak Djokovic SRB (3)

Federer and Nadal have the hardest, followed by Murray (addressing the top four seeds).

HarryMan
05-30-2010, 03:19 AM
The matches that I am really looking forward to are:

Federer - Wawrinka

Although I think Federer has too much game and variety to lose to Wawrinka, if Wawrinka's backhand fires and forehand works consistently, he can certainly push Federer (and maybe win a set).

Murray - Berdych

Considering his draw (Gasquet in the first round), I thought Murray might get knocked out by now. However, he has proven me wrong and I hope this match is not a let down either (I think Murray's defense will get the job done this time)

Soderling - Cilic

This should be good on a hard court but I really think they can do great especially with those big forehands and backhands. Looking forward to it.

Nadal - Bellucci

This should be Nadal's biggest test before the semi final (if Djokovic makes it that far). Nadal's cross court top spin forehand goes directly into Bellucci's strength (his forehand) so he shouldn't have problems dealing with that shot. Also, Bellucci has a solid backhand. This match up is something that I look forward to.

vn01
05-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Soderling-Cilic clash

scarecrows
05-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Melzer-Gaba has the potential to be a dramatic cracker

acionescu
05-30-2010, 08:16 AM
yep, Sod-Cilic has all the premises to be a clay classic :haha: :haha:

....not :cuckoo:

Misha-Tsonga and Murray-Berdych for me

Audacity
05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Murray vs Berdych

ShotmaKer
05-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Muzza-Berdamn and Misha-Big Jo for me.

vn01
05-30-2010, 09:50 AM
Murray-Berdych could also be a nice match,if Berdych doesn't choke

Jomp1
05-30-2010, 10:01 AM
Looking forward to all of them but I think Murray-Berdych bodes for a good match.

Certinfy
05-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Murray vs Berdych - The styles of both their games are just the complete opposite of each other, should be a great match if both play well.

Elena.
05-30-2010, 10:21 AM
I am most curious about Muzza-Berdych

oranges
05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
yep, Sod-Cilic has all the premises to be a clay classic :haha: :haha:

....not :cuckoo:

Misha-Tsonga and Murray-Berdych for me

Well, if you picked some others perhaps you'd make sense, but how is Colonel/Tsonga and Murray/Berdych any more promising of a clay classic is a mystery :haha: Six players thriving on clay, all of them :lol:

FormerRafaFan
05-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Lots of great matches in the 4th round! Gonna be interesting for sure.

shadows
05-30-2010, 11:41 AM
Muz vs Berdych

Almost anything in the top half of the draw should be great though.

Everko
05-30-2010, 01:58 PM
Verdasco/Almagro will be the best

Ginepri and Djokovic will be the worst. That won't be close

Certinfy
05-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Muz vs Berdych

Almost anything in the top half of the draw should be great though.
This! The matches in the top half are good enough enough to be the quarters of a MS event. As for the bottom half... :unsure:

chewy
05-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Voted for the Roger vs Wawrinka match...2nd one would be Gabashvili vs Melzer, follow by Djokovic vs Ginepri for me.

Aaric
05-30-2010, 03:20 PM
Rog-Stan :drool:

osalsyst
05-30-2010, 03:31 PM
Melzer and Gaba definitely. Who would've thought either one would get this far? For me, Jurgen is the better player but I believe Gaba will have the mental edge.

Filo V.
05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
Djokovic-Ginepri. I would say Melzer-Gaba but I expect Melzer to win comfortably.

None of the other matches outside of Tsonga-Misha interested me at all.

M4RC
05-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Gipsy vs Clay God is a good one. I'm sure Djokovic will find a way to lose this. He is a gipsy after all. "Vine ayer y me voy mañana, yo soy gitana..."

Nadal vs Bellucci :zzz:

Melzer vs Gaba :zzz: (this is not the same :zzz: that the one posted above)

Mugro vs Mugdasco :zzz: (this is the same :zzz: that the one posted above)

JediFed
05-30-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't think Djokovic will beat Ginepri.

sheva07
05-30-2010, 11:25 PM

:haha::haha::haha:

DwyaneWade
05-30-2010, 11:35 PM

If Djokovic keeps serving like a WTA player and Ginepri keeps his head there is a good chance this will be true.