Andy Murray almost out of gas... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Andy Murray almost out of gas...

theseth1119
05-29-2010, 08:45 PM
In 3 matches Murray has already spent 607 minutes on court (that's 10 hours and 7 minutes).

Even if he somehow does make it to the SF against Rogie, he's going to be totally out of gas by then.

Compare to the rest and he's been on the court a lot more.

Chokovic only 446 minutes on court (7 hours and 26 minutes).

Rafa just 396 minutes out there (6 hours and 36 minutes).

Rogie an amazing 321 minutes total time (5 hours and 21 minutes).

Looks to me like a Rogie (Wawrinka, Sodie, and Cilic will not advance to the SF) vs. Berdych/Youzhny/Tsonga (not Murray for sure but undecided on which of these three will make it) and Rafa (Verdasco, Almagro, and Bellucci aren't going into the SF) vs. Chokovic (Gabashvili, Melzer, and Ginepri have no chances of making the SF) in the SFs.

Clydey
05-29-2010, 08:51 PM
I doubt fitness will be a problem for him. He's not Gasquet.

richie21 will probably reply here.

Smoke944
05-29-2010, 08:52 PM
He'll be more than fine.

marquez
05-29-2010, 08:55 PM
gaba only 494 minutes in 6 matches :lol:

slicekick
05-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Andrew is one of the fittest player in the world, so it's not a problem for him, he 's an genuine marathon man he can play for hours and hours :o

ossie
05-29-2010, 08:56 PM
yes but he hasnt played a lot of matches running up to rg

marquez
05-29-2010, 08:58 PM
btw murray has played 3 matches so far

KarlyM
05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
gaba only 494 minutes in 6 matches :lol: :worship: :lol:

janko05
05-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Out of gas!?! He is the ultimate clay warior and it is his favourite surface, remember.

theseth1119
05-29-2010, 09:10 PM
My bad, yeah it's only 3 matches and that much time, makes it all the worse. Murray's not going to last much longer, in fact I fully expect Berdych to beat Murray tomorrow.

green25814
05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
I also expect Berdych to beat Murray, but not due to tiredness.

Andy is a very fit guy, and outside of injury, I don't think time on court will effect him much.

FedFan
05-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Andy is fully fit and if he manages to win the quarters, he will have two days of rest before the semis.

Fitness will not be a factor.

theseth1119
05-29-2010, 09:42 PM
Let's make a prediction of all of the 4th round matches while we're at it and here's mine: Rogie over Wawrinka, Sodie over Cilic, Berdych over Murray, Tsonga over Youzhny, Melzer over Gabashvili, Chokovic over Ginepri, Verdasco over Almagro, and Rafa over Bellucci.

philosophicalarf
05-29-2010, 09:47 PM
If Murray beats Berdy - and he's a 60/40 fav btw - then he'll probably make the semis. Youzhny is not much of a threat on clay, and Tsonga has a back problem.

Not a chance against Fed there though, unless masters-mode-Federror turns up.

Certinfy
05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Berdych has only been on court for 6hrs and 9 minutes in his 3 matches! Nearly half of what Murray has gone through! :speakles:

A_Skywalker
05-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Berdych has only been on court for 5hrs and 9 minutes in his 3 matches! Virtually half of what Murray has gone through! :speakles:

:) Sometimes it doesnt matter, If Murray plays semi it will matter, but not for this match with Berdych.

Duncan
05-29-2010, 09:55 PM
Fitness will have nothing to do with the match tomorrow.

Jomp1
05-29-2010, 10:23 PM
No problem as early as the 4th round, but might be later in the semis and final. Obviously it's better to play 1h30m than 3h/match in the end.

_Shonen_
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Well, it was interesting to look at total court time so far - but OP seems to be going out of their way to try and assure everyone that Murray has no chance. It's not like he really had much chance of winning the tournament anyway, so I don't see what the worry is.

Murray's fitness is good enough that I don't really think his extra court time will be a factor. Especially so at this still relatively early stage of the tournament.

Noleta
05-29-2010, 11:15 PM
No he's not,that's whay gives him confidence,the fact that he knows he can play 5 hours,and still feel fresh afterwards.

scoobs
05-29-2010, 11:58 PM
Berdych will probably win and Murray's fitness will not be a factor in that result.

Clydey
05-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is on the Berdych bandwagon all of a sudden. I certainly wouldn't bet anything substantial on him.

scoobs
05-30-2010, 12:07 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is on the Berdych bandwagon all of a sudden. I certainly wouldn't bet anything substantial on him.
well i don't think it's inconceivable that he can lose this but he's looked good so far, he's got the sort of game that can move Murray about on clay and create space for winners, and if Murray is too passive, he'll be run ragged.

A lot will depend on which Andy turns up - the one who was dominant against Chela or the one who likes to stand 8 feet back and run.

Clydey
05-30-2010, 12:09 AM
well i don't think it's inconceivable that he can lose this but he's looked good so far, he's got the sort of game that can move Murray about on clay and create space for winners, and if Murray is too passive, he'll be run ragged.

A lot will depend on which Andy turns up - the one who was dominant against Chela or the one who likes to stand 8 feet back and run.

I actually think Andy is playing better than he did last year at RG. Berdych can hit anyone off the court, but I'm a little surprised that there's so much confidence in him, given his history.

scoobs
05-30-2010, 12:12 AM
I actually think Andy is playing better than he did last year at RG. Berdych can hit anyone off the court, but I'm a little surprised that there's so much confidence in him, given his history.
I agree - with Berdych just because he plays three good matches doesn't guarantee a fourth.

And I like the more muscular way Andy's hitting the ball, especially off the forehand, I hope he takes that with him to the grass and the hardcourts.

Still, I tend to err on the side of pessimism with Andy's results lately so I still think Berdych will take this.

Andi-M
05-30-2010, 12:16 AM
Murray has incredible fitness. And he's hardly had a tiring claycourt season he's probably played less than 10 hours of competetive tennis matches in last 3 months he's not tired at all.

Clydey
05-30-2010, 12:25 AM
I agree - with Berdych just because he plays three good matches doesn't guarantee a fourth.

And I like the more muscular way Andy's hitting the ball, especially off the forehand, I hope he takes that with him to the grass and the hardcourts.

Still, I tend to err on the side of pessimism with Andy's results lately so I still think Berdych will take this.

I made the point the other day that, at least on clay, I actually prefer the ball on Andy's forehand. He dominates with that wing far more easily. His backhand is too flat for the dirt.

DwyaneWade
05-30-2010, 01:06 AM

It should be a rule in analyzing at men's tennis. One should NEVER have confidence in any of the following players winning a match no matter what kind of form they bring into it: Berdych, Almagro, and Nalbandian. Feel free to add others.