05-29-2010, 05:28 PM
nid. good fight from Hewitt though.

Diprosalic
05-29-2010, 05:29 PM
2h 28m. quite long eh?

yuri27
05-29-2010, 05:29 PM
Really too good from Nadal.
I actually thought Hewitt played very very well but Nadal is just out of this world on that surface.

Chair Umpire
05-29-2010, 05:30 PM
Congrats Rafa.

3 spaniards in round of 16. :cool: :cool: :cool:

nanoman
Good fight from Hewitt, but all in vain as expected.

straitup
Hewitt put in a hell of an effort...just too tough to beat Nadal. Kinda hard for anyone to hate the guy when he's still putting in consistent performances and everything he's got against the top players

Surcouf
05-29-2010, 05:31 PM
Nadal played badly today.

He plays even worse than last year against the same player. He absolutely need to start playing or he will lose.

Montego
05-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Hewitt was fighting, but the result was never in doubt from 1st till 148th minute

Shirogane
what's with the guy with the red cap?!

Montego

He plays even worse than last year against the same player. He absolutely need to start playing or he will lose.

Yes, I also think like that - it was a bad Rafa today

green25814
Closer match than expected, Hewitt played well.

Unfortunately, his movement lets him down big time these days.

Mjau!
05-29-2010, 05:33 PM
This result proves that Nadal wasn't hindered by his "injury" last year.

yuri27
05-29-2010, 05:34 PM

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

marcRD
Hewitt is doing a 180, from everyone hating him some years ago everyone loves him now.

Corey Feldman
Unlucky Hewitt but champions effort, expect nothing less from that champ

problem is he ends up injuring himself trying to compete with Fed, Nadal all the time

bet he draws one of them for 3rd round at Wimbledon

tangerine_dream
Rafa :hatoff:

Scoreline doesn't show it but Hewitt put in a big effort, like he always does, even when he knows he doesn't stand a chance. That's why I'll always root for players like Hewitt with their bullish never-say-die attitude and not for bend-over types like Julian "I really don't want to win against Federer" Reister.

Surcouf
05-29-2010, 05:35 PM

Or that Nadal is injured today.

He played badly and seemed weak. His draw is weak with not one single good player before the quarter.

A_Skywalker
05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
what's with the guy with the red cap?!

The comentator said he might be RF fan :p
Wouldnt be surprised if he is indeed.

Cloudygirl
05-29-2010, 05:36 PM
yep straight sets against Hewitt playing well, Rafa is a waste of space this year.

Sillyrabbit
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM
I'm not sure what match people were watching, besides some yips on some of his service games, everything else went well. He hit more winners and made less errors than his previous two matches. But of course people were unrealistically expecting a 6-1,6-1,6-1 thrashing or something.

Sunset of Age
05-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Much closer than expected, and you just have to give Hewitt all the credits for keeping up a fight even when all the odds are against him. :yeah:

Rafa didn't play his best level, got broken far too often and I saw quite a few of his balls land a lot shorter than they used to do back in 2008. Of course, the wind must have played a great role in that, as he said himself.
Keep it going, Raf! :yeah:

Lovely post-match interview on court with Rafa, I hope someone will put it up on YouTube for those who still think that 'everyone hates Rafa in Paris'. Complete and utter garbage that is!

Filo V.

No, it doesn't at all.

Surcouf
Hewitt is shot, sorry to give you the memo.

Iván
very very good performance from hewitt.

Shirogane
Rafa :hatoff:

Scoreline doesn't show it but Hewitt put in a big effort, like he always does, even when he knows he doesn't stand a chance. That's why I'll always root for players like Hewitt with their bullish never-say-die attitude and not for bend-over types like Julian "I really don't want to win against Federer" Reister.

True that.

green25814

He played badly and seemed weak. His draw is weak with not one single good player before the quarter.

:haha:

You rafatards are too much

federernadalfan
playing average, but still straight sets

yuri27
05-29-2010, 05:39 PM

So if he plays well,he will beat everyone 6-1 6-1 6-1,no??

@Sweet Cleopatra
Haters dont surprise me at all, my mum is not a Rafa fan and she was angry he is playing very good.

I know in their deep heart Rafa haters know Nadal played amazing tennis and superb points.

Any way Vamos Rafa.

going to watch Sharapova, may be a miracle can let her win. Davai

tyruk14
I hope Nadal realises how lucky he is to have Soderling on the opposite side of the draw. If he continued at this level and met Robin in the quarters he would be obliterated by the Swede.

Search your feelings, Nadaltards; you know it to be true.

Filo V.
05-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Rafa played about average. A little too defensive at times, made a few errors, serve wasn't amazing. He'll need to pick it up now as he is playing some legitimate players in Bellucci and then Nando/Mucho. The conditions had a lot to do with that, though.

Lleyton competed well but just doesn't have the necessary weaponry to beat Nadal on this surface.

Filo V.
05-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I hope Nadal realises how lucky he is to have Soderling on the opposite side of the draw. If he continued at this level and met Robin in the quarters he would be obliterated by the Swede.

Soderling is overrated.

Sillyrabbit
05-29-2010, 05:41 PM
The arrogance/ unrealistic expectations of some people is really astounding.

Surcouf
05-29-2010, 05:42 PM
So if he plays well,he will beat everyone 6-1 6-1 6-1,no??

A shot Hewitt at least.

Nadal was just bad today. UE's machine, poor returns, bad serve, being broken and blew out of the court by Hewitt way too often. He is far the time of the MC 2010 where he played MUCH better.

RedFury
Good match from both sides, with the superior player coming out on top. Nadal's forehand DTL was working beautifully today -- butter.

All in all, good show, some great shot-making/retrieving and Rafa clearly beginning to raise his game. Kudos to Hewitt for putting up such a good fight.

Roamed
I only saw the first and end of the third set because Eurosport switched to the Verdasco match, but Rafa seemed to be making a couple of weird UEs at the start. Hewitt too and he seemed very frustrated with the wind, it was probably bothering both guys. Can't remember too much about the Hewitt-Rafa match last year but I fancy he played better today than then, maybe a bit more intelligently. Even so, at the end of the day Rafa still won in straights. :)

Wilander seemed to have the theory that Rafa was playing better than ever but his strings meant he was hitting it flatter and deeper and wasn't so effective on clay, contradicting himself a bit there.

yuri27
Rafa played about average. A little too defensive at times, made a few errors, serve wasn't amazing. He'll need to pick it up now as he is playing some legitimate players in Bellucci and then Nando/Mucho. The conditions had a lot to do with that, though.

Lleyton competed well but just doesn't have the necessary weaponry to beat Nadal on this surface.

Yeah,it's a well known fact that Nadal's got a great serve

Sillyrabbit
05-29-2010, 05:43 PM
This really isn't the thread to bring up more pointless arguments, sadly the tone was set by some insecure poster who keeps bringing up last year :rolleyes:

fran70
I haven`t seen Nadal "struggling" to beat Hewitt. On the other hand I found that Hewitt was overpowered by Nadal.

tyruk14
Soderling is overrated.

That may be so, but he is Rafael Nadal's Adriano Panatta.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
The arrogance/ unrealistic expectations of some people is really astounding.

I agree with you, They want Nadal to be the first player to never lose a point.

green25814
05-29-2010, 05:44 PM
Nadal fears toad in the hole.

A_Skywalker
05-29-2010, 05:45 PM

You put too much hope on that last year win, Nadal missed half of the season after that match, it was clear he was injured. Anyway if you want Robin to beat him again, cheer for him to go to the final, will you? I guess not as you are another Pederer fan.

Surcouf
That may be so, but he is Rafael Nadal's Adriano Panatta.

Soderling is garbage, he struggled against Montanes I heard. Soderling was just the luckiest man on the planet.

He got trashed 6-1 6-0 when Nadal was not injured last year at Roma. He is pretty much a non factor.

peribsen
Nadal has defended his points from last year. That's not much, yet it means that from now until WB is up, any matches he wins reduce the gap with Fed. Since Fed won everything last year, he can do nothing about it.

Sophocles
Hewitt's performance bodes well for the grass season. I hope he gets a decent draw at Wimbledon. He played a tactically astute match & if he actually had weapons he could have caused Rafa a lot of trouble. As for Nadal - too good, as expected, but those short balls would have been eaten up by a ball-basher.

yuri27
05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
A shot Hewitt at least.

Nadal was just bad today. UE's machine, poor returns, bad serve, being broken and blew out of the court by Hewitt way too often. He is far the time of the MC 2010 where he played MUCH better.

Perhaps that it were his opponents who were playing terrible in MC 2010,no?

ServeAlready81
05-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I thought Hewitt would at least get a set since he's troubled Rafa on clay before. Rafa just too good!

green25814
05-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Soderling is garbage, he struggled against Montanes I heard. Soderling was just the luckiest man on the planet.

He got trashed 6-1 6-0 when Nadal was not injured last year at Roma. He is pretty much a non factor.

Soderling blows hot and cold, everyone knows this. He was freezing at Roma, and boiling at RG.

I don't understand why its so hard for Nadal fans to accept that he lost that day. Rafa isn't superman you know. :shrug:

We shouldn't derail the thread however.

Surcouf
Perhaps that it were his opponents who were playing terrible in MC 2010,no?

No. Nadal was not making tons of erros and was hitting super shots after superb shots. None of Nadal weapons is working so far in the tournament.

RedFury
A shot Hewitt at least.

Ah! The land of the clueless & the trolls.

Nadal: 38 winners/ 21 UEs (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day12/1112ms.html). I'll take those stats everyday and twice under conditions such as today.

Commander Data
05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Respect to Hewitt. Has no really the weapons to damage Nadal but gives all he has out there, anyway. I expected a clearer beatdown.

Sunset of Age
05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Hewitt's performance bodes well for the grass season. I hope he gets a decent draw at Wimbledon. He played a tactically astute match & if he actually had weapons he could have caused Rafa a lot of trouble. As for Nadal - too good, as expected, but those short balls would have been eaten up by a ball-basher.

Pretty much spot-on. I wonder why some folks didn't notice that.
Rafa himself said he felt troubled by the wind a lot, so I expect him to play a lot better in more favourable conditions.

TennisOnWood
05-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Just what was enough against solid Hewitt

Victory number 200 on clay in the next match :worship:

fran70
05-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Soderling is overrated.

I agree with you.

paseo
05-29-2010, 05:52 PM

+1

Nadal was playing well, but so did Hewitt. That's why it's not a demolition job.

But this Nadal is just too damn good on clay, it's getting boring. Why isn't there a single ball basher on his draw? Cause even though Hewitt did pretty well, he lacks power in his shots to push Nadal. Having said that, it was a quality & entertaining match.

aussie_fan
05-29-2010, 05:54 PM
Hewitt played a lot better than I expected, just a few missed shots here and there and could of been very interesting, that 2nd set was very tight. Gives me confidence for him going into the grass season.

Chair Umpire
05-29-2010, 05:55 PM

:retard:

Sillyrabbit
05-29-2010, 05:57 PM

:lol: It's really funny, very obvious bait from the above quote and some people still bit.

Chair Umpire
05-29-2010, 06:00 PM
Soderling blows hot and cold, everyone knows this. He was freezing at Roma, and boiling at RG.

I don't understand why its so hard for Nadal fans to accept that he lost that day. Rafa isn't superman you know. :shrug:

We shouldn't derail the thread however.

Right, Nadal missed Wimbledon 09 on purpouse to convince the world that his fake injury was real. :retard:

Fedtards. :retard:

tyruk14
05-29-2010, 06:03 PM

You put too much hope on that last year win, Nadal missed half of the season after that match, it was clear he was injured. Anyway if you want Robin to beat him again, cheer for him to go to the final, will you? I guess not as you are another Pederer fan.

Soderling meticulously battered Nadal off the court last year. One could give him the credit, or Magnus Norman could have been responsible for the strategy, but it happened. Not because Nadal was injured; not because his parents split up; and not because he was too distracted by his secret courtship with Shakira. Nadal lost because Soderling knew how to play him, somehow convinced himself that it was possible to do it consistently for three-to-four hours, and then executed.

Had Nadal won that match in five sets I guarantee he wouldn't have been injured until after the US Open -- at least.

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
Nadal was good but beatable today (not by Hewitt). Maybe the windy, cold conditions had much to do with that, but his balls were sitting high and short just begging to be destroyed. He will have to pick it up, his draw to the title does not look that easy (Belluci-Almagro-Djokovic-Federer) outside of adding Soderling to that draw you cannot make that much tougher for him on clay.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
Yes, I also think like that - it was a bad Rafa today

Are you crazy? Nadal was rock solid today. Hewitt played very well indeed but could still barely make a dent.

Start da Game
05-29-2010, 06:08 PM
come on.......

RawrArgh
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
I'm impressed Hewitt kept it competitive tbh. Hope his draw isn't too bad for Wimbledon. Might be better for him to be drawn on Rafa's side...

paseo
05-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Nadal was good but beatable today (not by Hewitt). Maybe the windy, cold conditions had much to do with that, but his balls were sitting high and short just begging to be destroyed. He will have to pick it up, his draw to the title does not look that easy (Belluci-Almagro-Djokovic-Federer) outside of adding Soderling to that draw you cannot make that much tougher for him on clay.

What are you smoking? Belluci? Almagro? They can't do jack sh*t against Nadal.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-29-2010, 06:16 PM
Nadal was rock solid today. Hewitt played very well indeed but could still barely make a dent.

I agree :worship:

FormerRafaFan
05-29-2010, 06:18 PM
I said before the match that he would win 6-3, 6-4, 6-3.. and I was right! lol

But seriously, people really believed he would bagel Hewitt? Wow, just wow... Rafa is not playing at his best, and Hewitt is a decent player. Of course this just means Rafa will still win, but it will be a tighter match than Rafa at his best.

Dougie
05-29-2010, 06:20 PM
Routine win, Hewitt has nothing to hurt Nadal with, Rafa did what he had to, no more, no less.

SetSampras
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
5 French Open titles coming up

Priam
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM
Some people expect bagels or breadsticks every time, it's getting ridiculous.

SetSampras
05-29-2010, 06:25 PM
I said before the match that he would win 6-3, 6-4, 6-3.. and I was right! lol

But seriously, people really believed he would bagel Hewitt? Wow, just wow... Rafa is not playing at his best, and Hewitt is a decent player. Of course this just means Rafa will still win, but it will be a tighter match than Rafa at his best.

There were instances where Nadal was struggling a bit with hewitt.. But I must admit.. I DID think he would have had a set or two of bagels. Nadal is not at his 2008 form but he doesnt have to be.. He will still win the French this year.

Hewitt played him as hard as he could but this hewitt isnt 2001-2003 Hewitt. And he doesnt have anything to hurt Nadal.

Sillyrabbit
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Some people expect bagels or breadsticks every time, it's getting ridiculous.

Thank you! It's this arrogance and unrealistic view of thrashings in every match that's making people go :bigcry: People keep on forgetting than besides RG in 2008, Nadal didn't really used to tear through the draws in his other three wins.

Arkulari
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Hewitt gave his all and actually pushed Rafa around at times but the result was NID, Rafa doesn't need to be 100% for these kind of matches ;)

sheva07
05-29-2010, 06:54 PM
Llegs!:yeah:

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Thank you! It's this arrogance and unrealistic view of thrashings in every match that's making people go :bigcry: People keep on forgetting than besides RG in 2008, Nadal didn't really used to tear through the draws in his other three wins.

Even in 2008, two of the beatdowns were bendovers from fellow Spaniards, one of whom admitted before the match that he was going to bend over. Federer in the final was beaten before he stepped out on the court. He had pushed Nadal hard in MC (7-5 7-5) and had gone down in three sets in Hamburg.

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 07:22 PM
What are you smoking? Belluci? Almagro? They can't do jack sh*t against Nadal.

Who else would you put in a GS 4th round and QF? Besides Soderling, who could Nadal play in that round that would be 'difficult'?

Look around the draw. Federer has Wawrinka and Soderling. Murray has Berdych and Youzhny. Djokovic has nothing. Belluci pushed Nadal for a set back in 2008 and is a top-ten claycourter. Almagro just took a set off Nadal and has the game to do damage.

There are no tough draws for Nadal on clay. The only way you could make it really difficult is to give him Soderling in the QF.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 07:26 PM
Who else would you put in a GS 4th round and QF? Besides Soderling, who could Nadal play in that round that would be 'difficult'?

Look around the draw. Federer has Wawrinka and Soderling. Murray has Berdych and Youzhny. Djokovic has nothing. Belluci pushed Nadal for a set back in 2008 and is a top-ten claycourter. Almagro just took a set off Nadal and has the game to do damage.

There are no tough draws for Nadal on clay. The only way you could make it really difficult is to give him Soderling in the QF.

Ideal clay draw for Nadal:

1. Random ballbasher
2. Random ballbasher
3. Fit Dave
4. Gulbis
QF: Soderling
SF: Del Potro
F: Federer

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
Ideal clay draw for Nadal:

1. Random ballbasher
2. Random ballbasher
3. Fit Dave
4. Gulbis
QF: Soderling
SF: Del Potro
F: Federer

Yes in theory but in this tournament? Gulbis lost 1st round, Del Potro is out, Nalbandian is out. In this tournament who else could he have faced to satisfy people?

Plus, the random ballbashers you draw in rounds 1 and 2 are not going to good enough to make a dent.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 07:31 PM
I'd have liked to see him play at least one tall ballbasher with a 2HBH. There were several of them in the tournament, even without Del Potro. Soderling, Cilic, Berdych, Gulbis. Not one of them landed anywhere near him in the draw.

Also it would have been good if Djokovic had a better serve than Dementieva, but he doesn't.

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 07:36 PM
I'd have liked to see him play at least one tall ballbasher with a 2HBH. There were several of them in the tournament, even without Del Potro. Soderling, Cilic, Berdych, Gulbis. Not one of them landed anywhere near him in the draw.

Also it would have been good if Djokovic had a better serve than Dementieva, but he doesn't.

Gulbis is irrelevant because he would not have advanced far enough anyway. Cilic and Berdych I will give you but isn't Cilic commonly labeled a clay mug? And Berdych has not even beaten Nadal on hardcourts in 3-4 years.

Face it, those options are not really that difficult. People (haters) will call Nadal's draw easy as long as he keeps on winning. Much like Federer-haters called his Wimbledon draws a joke (even the gauntlet he destroyed in 2007: Gasquet, Henman, Mahut, ?, Ancic...). They both make it look too simple.

ossie
05-29-2010, 07:37 PM
i love the haters in this thread bubu soderling wouldve won today guys really :haha: face it haters rafa will win the clay court grand slam without dropping a set at the french open and not soderling, djoker or any other ballbasher has the balls to stop him.

Swiss Mountain
05-29-2010, 07:37 PM
I like Lleyton and feel for him, he's not lucky in draws, Fed at the AO and Nadal at RG.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 07:46 PM
Gulbis is irrelevant because he would not have advanced far enough anyway. Cilic and Berdych I will give you but isn't Cilic commonly labeled a clay mug? And Berdych has not even beaten Nadal on hardcourts in 3-4 years.

Face it, those options are not really that difficult. People (haters) will call Nadal's draw easy as long as he keeps on winning. Much like Federer-haters called his Wimbledon draws a joke (even the gauntlet he destroyed in 2007: Gasquet, Henman, Mahut, ?, Ancic...). They both make it look too simple.

Soderling has lost to Nadal on hardcourts but he still did the job on clay. Obviously Nadal would be a strong favourite against any of these guys but you do feel that a power hitter who is tall and strong enough to deal with his whiplash F/H would at least be able to do some damage. The higher clay bounces might actually help them i.e. they would be able to hit down on the ball with more power and a better margin of error.

EdIt: NB the "gauntlet" was in 2006

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 07:50 PM
Soderling has lost to Nadal on hardcourts but he still did the job on clay. Obviously Nadal would be a strong favourite against any of these guys but you do feel that a power hitter who is tall and strong enough to deal with his whiplash F/H would at least be able to do some damage. The higher clay bounces might actually help them i.e. they would be able to hit down on the ball with more power and a better margin of error.

EdIt: NB the "gauntlet" was in 2006

Belluci is a tall hitter, his lefty FH absorbs Nadal's, in theory this is a tough matchup, no?

And Almagro has shown he is unaffected by the high bounce, his biggest problem is between the ears (as it would be for Berdych, for example)

NB: yes, 2006. My fault.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Belluci is a tall hitter, his lefty FH absorbs Nadal's, in theory this is a tough matchup, no?

And Almagro has shown he is unaffected by the high bounce, his biggest problem is between the ears (as it would be for Berdych, for example)

NB: yes, 2006. My fault.

Almagro would never dream of trying to beat Nadal at RG. It would be unpatriotic. Before he played Nadal in RG in 08, he said "Rafa is the king of clay, he is going to beat Federer in the final" or words to that effect.

Really, however, I think the players you're talking about are (1) Del Potro and (2) Soderling.

l_mac
05-29-2010, 08:04 PM
^^ I think Almagro said that after he was destroyed by Rafa, not before.I only saw the first and end of the third set because Eurosport switched to the Verdasco match, but Rafa seemed to be making a couple of weird UEs at the start. Hewitt too and he seemed very frustrated with the wind, it was probably bothering both guys. Can't remember too much about the Hewitt-Rafa match last year but I fancy he played better today than then, maybe a bit more intelligently. Even so, at the end of the day Rafa still won in straights. :)

Wilander seemed to have the theory that Rafa was playing better than ever but his strings meant he was hitting it flatter and deeper and wasn't so effective on clay, contradicting himself a bit there.

Wilander is an absolute idiot. Hope that helps.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 08:05 PM
Actually, I think you'll find he said it before the match. I remember it well and I remember several posters on here laughing about how it was an admission that he was getting ready to bend over.

l_mac
05-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Actually, I think you'll find he said it before the match. I remember it well and I remember several posters on here laughing about how it was an admission that he was getting ready to bend over.

Yeah, you're right. Here itis :spit: :haha:

Q. You said Rafa is No. 1 to you. Is it something personal, or is it because you consider Rafa is a better player?

NICOLAS ALMAGRO: Well, to me, Rafa is No. 1 because he demonstrated that. He was champion here, finalist in Wimbledon. The way things are going, he's so calm, so humble on the court, and he worked very hard to achieve what he has achieved.
And at the same time, he's very close to us. He helps us when we needed that. He is a wonderful friend. To me, he is No. 1. Quite clear he is No. 1. And I wish he is No. 1 to everybody, because he is going to win against Federer.

What a clown.

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Unsurprisingly, he went on to lose the match 6-1 6-1 6-1 or something like that. :)

To be fair, I don't expect Stan to put up much of a fight either and Roger also had a bendover from that German guy.

Corey Feldman
05-29-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah Almagro's in love with Nadal

been well known for many years

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Almagro would never dream of trying to beat Nadal at RG. It would be unpatriotic. Before he played Nadal in RG in 08, he said "Rafa is the king of clay, he is going to beat Federer in the final" or words to that effect.

Really, however, I think the players you're talking about are (1) Del Potro and (2) Soderling.

Yes, but why then did Almagro 'dare' to take a set off King Nadal in Madrid? Or 'dare' to almost win in Paris last year?

He may not have the belief, but to say Almagro is not trying against Nadal is idiotic.

But yes, we are talking about Del Potro (not here) and Soderling (other side of the draw). As a Nadal fan I am disappointed by the lack of challenge from those two, but declaring Belluci, Almagro, and Djokovic an easy draw to the final...:rolleyes:

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Yes, but why then did Almagro 'dare' to take a set off King Nadal in Madrid? Or 'dare' to almost win in Paris last year?

He may not have the belief, but to say Almagro is not trying against Nadal is idiotic.

But yes, we are talking about Del Potro (not here) and Soderling (other side of the draw). As a Nadal fan I am disappointed by the lack of challenge from those two, but declaring Belluci, Almagro, and Djokovic an easy draw to the final...:rolleyes:

At Madrid he tried to embrace Nadal after the match but Rafa pushed him away (possibly out of embarrassment). :haha:

JediFed
05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Almugro will bend over for Nadal as he always does.

And people say Fed's draws are weak?

Castafiore
05-29-2010, 08:22 PM
Almagro may be admiring Nadal in a cringeworthy way for many but to state that he just bends over and does not fight is clownish in itself, particularly so quickly after their Madrid match.

l_mac
05-29-2010, 08:23 PM
Rafa's presser today :lol: I'm sure he posts at MTF as a Fedtard.

Q. I have a different question for you. Everyone in tennis loves Roger, respects Roger. He is said to be the best of all time. Yet two out of every three times you play him, you win. You've won six of the last seven times. Who's a better player?
RAFAEL NADAL: You like this. You are focused on the Roger thing, eh? (laughter.)
Yesterday with the clay. Today with the if somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis. That's my answer.

Q. How so?
RAFAEL NADAL: Why?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: So you don't know nothing about tennis. :spit:
You see the titles of him and you see the titles of me? It's no comparison. So that's the answer. Is difficult to compare Roger with me now, because he has 16 Grand Slams; I have 6. Masters 1000, yeah, I have more than him. But for the rest of the things the records of Roger is very, very almost impossible to improve.

Q. Still, it is interesting when you step out on the court...
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. Still, it is interesting, Rafa, when you step out on the court...
RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.)
Sorry, I interrupt you. What's the question? Sorry.

Q. The question is: Still, for the fans, it is interesting when you step on the court with him, you usually win.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am No. 2 in the world for five years, so I think I am a good player, too. Sure, I can beat him. No. 2 can beat No. 1. That's the thing. It's not a lot of difference between No. 2 and No. 1 or between No. 1 and No. 10. That's the tennis, and the tennis very close, the level, all the time.
But I can beat him, yes. The same time, the thing is I beat him a lot of times on clay. I beat him on other surfaces, too. But the most of the times I beat him on clay, so I played with him more times on clay than on the rest of the surfaces.

Q. How do you feel at this point in the tournament? Do you feel like you always feel at the French Open coming into the second week, physically and mentally?
RAFAEL NADAL: Physically I'm fine. I don't have any problems, so I happy for that.
Mentally, too. I am with a lot of allusion to play well and to play a good tournament here. And I am doing, you know. I defend my points already, so I think now is all to win.

Q. You will follow the World Cup for football, especially Spain?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I love the football, yeah? I know we won 3 2 today.

Q. Spain is your favorite to World Cup?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, yes. But for the rest, for the Brazilians, it's gonna be Brazil, and for Argentines, Argentina. That's football, no? And gonna be difficult to say something.
I think we have my opinion is we have the best team, but in one competition that all decides in one match. Gonna be very difficult to say something, because just little thing can change the rest of the match.

Q. If you could predict the opening round against Switzerland, what will the score be?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, here we are better. (laughter.)
Not in tennis, but here we are better. That is no comparison to.
THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish.

Q. On the subject of football, on Monday Mourinho is going to sign to join the Madrid team. What do you think about him and his charisma?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I'm no one here to talk about other people's choices. As a trainer, he's always been a good trainer. He's always done a good job. We'll see.
And also, I think this is simply a follow up of what has been taking place in the last few years.

Q. Can we go back to tennis? We've seen you happier here than when you were on the court. You seemed to be fairly tense. You weren't happy?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was a little bit worried. The weather conditions weren't very good. I don't know. The weather conditions can make for a difficult match.
I saw the clouds gathering. When I walked on the court, I looked at the sky, and I kept looking at the sky because I really wanted to wrap up this match. I did not want to continue playing this particular match tomorrow.
I really want to have tomorrow off to take a break, and also to work. In the first set I believe I played well, then I believe I had a bit of a dip. The second wasn't so good, but the third one, until 6 3, I played well, really well.
I had to play against the wind, I played the whole match really well. I was very comfortable with my forehand, my backhand, but there was the wind. Because of the wind, you know, Hewitt takes the ball really early, and so the ball came to my side fairly low.
Sometimes I had trouble catching the ball because I was playing against the wind. But those were my main difficulties. In spite of all these difficulties, I felt fairly comfortable.

Q. Such a wet day and rain threatening, are you still with your 25 25 strings, or are you going to change?
RAFAEL NADAL: I play 5.5; 26 in Madrid; 25 here. I decided to go for 25.5. I did ask myself the question before the match, but already I had already four racquets at 25.5, and I thought, I'm not going to change everything.

Q. (Question off microphone.)
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, the balls were heavier, and therefore, the fact also that there was no sun, that the courts were slightly wet. This all made for heavy conditions. The balls were heavy, so these conditions were not favorable.
Because the spin that I like to give to the ball simply does not work in those conditions, and Hewitt plays really flat.

Q. Several times we saw you looking at your racquet.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I only looked at my racquet once, because I took a backhand and I hit the ball. I hit the racquet, sorry, against the ground, and I thought maybe I had broken it. I checked it, but it wasn't broken.
I looked at the frame simply to check for a crack. In Spanish I don't know how to say this, but in my language, in Mallorcan, we say cruit (phonetic.) It's a kind of a crack. (laughter.)

Q. Can you say a few words regarding your next opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's top level opponent. I think in 2008 he went really deep into the tournament. The last time I played him he was very difficult. He's a clay specialist. He has recently beaten he has just beaten Ljubicic, so he is quite confident.
It's going to be very difficult, and it will also be a test for me to check my level of tennis.

Q. Three Spaniards reaching the fourth round this level in the tournament. Is that a surprise for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it was a surprise, the fact that Juan Carlos lost. I could not watch his game, so I can't really make any judgments. But I'm quite surprised that he lost. I saw him he lost the first few sets, and I saw him sort of coming back into the match, but apparently he didn't come back.
And also, I think that David played in a Kamikaze way, and it was difficult for him to stop on time. David played too flat. As I said, the weather conditions today are not favorable. He had a very good serve. That, I noticed.

l_mac
05-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Rafa now has no points to defend until Canada :rocker2:

Corey Feldman
05-29-2010, 08:27 PM
I think that David played in a Kamikaze way

:lol:

Aenea
05-29-2010, 08:30 PM
Q. Can you say a few words regarding your next opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's top level opponent. I think in 2008 he went really deep into the tournament. The last time I played him he was very difficult.

"I think in 2008 he went really deep into the tournament" :lol: Apparently Rafa has forgotten when has he played Bellucci.

BTW has Almagro already won over Verdasco? Did he get a WO? I must have missed that.

andy neyer
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
This Hewitt played pretty well today and gave everything he had but Nadal was too strong as expected.

andy neyer
05-29-2010, 08:46 PM
"I think in 2008 he went really deep into the tournament" :lol: Apparently Rafa has forgotten when has he played Bellucci.

He did play against him in RG 2008. It was the first round and Nadal won in straights :lol:

KarlyM
05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Nice fight from Hewitt. :yeah: I didn't think he would have anything left in the tank.

StevoTG
05-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Good fight Lleyton! Rest for a couple of days and then get yourself on that grass, champ!

iriraz
05-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Hewitt played decent but made a couple of poor mistakes in crucial moments especially loosing the game from 40-15 at 4 all in second set.
What i`m surprised though is how angry he was throughout the match throwing his racket and using foul language.

M4RC
05-29-2010, 10:01 PM

:haha: Fanboy.

StevoTG
05-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Hewitt played decent but made a couple of poor mistakes in crucial moments especially loosing the game from 40-15 at 4 all in second set.
What i`m surprised though is how angry he was throughout the match throwing his racket and using foul language.

Losing from 40-15 is dissapointing. The foul language is something I'm actually kind of happy about.. I guess it just gives me confidence that he's got plenty of fire left in his belly and feels like he can get more out of himself.

Matt01
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Rafa reads MTF and learned from here so he knows his stuff :worship:

brent-o
05-29-2010, 10:23 PM

Lol I want to hate you for your ignorance, but the last line was just too awesome.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-29-2010, 10:35 PM
Rafa reads MTF and learned from here so he knows his stuff :worship:

How do you know that?

Any way Rafa don't listen to haters and shakers, you played amazing tennis :worship::worship:

DuMa
05-29-2010, 10:37 PM
both played well considering how windy it was out there.

coonster14
05-30-2010, 12:45 AM
bad luck for Rusty! but i admire the guy for his fighting spirit and not giving up even when he gets beaten consistently by rafa and roger these days.

hewitt played pretty well, but just does not have the weapons to beat the king of clay. rafa, even though playing really average, was good enough to win in straights.

hope rusty rests up well for the grass courts (i hope he can do some major damage there).

leng jai
05-30-2010, 12:59 AM
Slowly imporoving. By 2012 he'll be back to taking a set off Nadull at RG.

paseo
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Almugro will bend over for Nadal as he always does.

And people say Fed's draws are weak?

Aside from Soderling, it is pretty weak. Well, maybe Wawrinka is a bit tough on clay, no? :D

andylovesaustin
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
I was HOPING against HOPE for an upset... but twas not meant to be!

Ultimately Rafa was.............Rafa... and it may have not been his best play... but it was enough to win, not even dropping a set.

I do admire Rusty for giving it his all though. He did his best.
And he WANTED to win. That's all anyone could ask for.

So.. congrats to both. :rocker2:

MIMIC
05-30-2010, 01:23 AM
Hewit: "This crap surface!"

:spit:

andylovesaustin
05-30-2010, 01:28 AM
Hewit: "This crap surface!"

:spit:

With all due respect at least Rusty didn't bitch-out the officials for "soggy" balls. :retard:

At least he kept his "musings" to himself for the most part, and didn't call for "the boss" because he's steak was overdone.. like some! :mad:

:help:

I'm just saying... it could have worse! :retard:

Ibracadabra
05-30-2010, 01:43 AM
Hewitt is doing a 180, from everyone hating him some years ago everyone loves him now.

People tend to hate winners until they start losing. I never used to like federer a while ago. Love him now.

thalle
05-30-2010, 05:28 AM
nice fought Hewitt!

Audacity
05-30-2010, 06:02 AM
Bad luck he had to come up against Nadal so early. Hopefully he can do some more damage at Wimbledon this year.

collo1978
05-30-2010, 07:08 AM

haha, yeah well everyone appreciates his fighting sprit considering they know he hasn't got that long left in the game and he's still keeps up with the best.

gorgo1986
05-30-2010, 07:23 AM
Hewitt played a really good match but it was not enough, still a great effort. Nadal was not happy with the weather today, he could not get the full spin on the ball and Hewitt's shots came in flat which troubled him. Good news is that apart from today and maybe on Tuesday(Nadal is playing on Monday and Wednesday) the weather is gonna be very favorable(not much wind) and sunny.

Overall it was a good match by Nadal over a very tricky opponent.

FormerRafaFan
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
I am little disappointed from the interview, how can Rafa say that fans who apprecriate his talent don't understand any thing in tennis :sad:
Thank you very much Nadal, now I go do another thing instead of supporting you since it means i dont understand tennis :mad:

I know. Rafa's humbleness is why I like him as a tannis player. But there can be too much humbleness, and it just frustrates me sometimes. There must be a fine line, and sometimes I think Rafa is too hard on himself. Maybe he didn't play a good match, but he still won, so I wish he would look more on the positive, but oh well.. Him being a perfectionist is probably why he is such a good player, always wanting to improve. It probably is a good thing, just annoying sometimes.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
I know. Rafa's humbleness is why I like him as a tannis player. But there can be too much humbleness, and it just frustrates me sometimes. There must be a fine line, and sometimes I think Rafa is too hard on himself. Maybe he didn't play a good match, but he still won, so I wish he would look more on the positive, but oh well.. Him being a perfectionist is probably why he is such a good player, always wanting to improve. It probably is a good thing, just annoying sometimes.

Yeah he is so humble and I like that very much, I take what I said back and will delete my post :o

FormerRafaFan
05-30-2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah he is so humble and I like that very much, I take what I said back and will delete my post :o

No, no need to do that.. I like the fact that he is humble, but he almost never says anything positive about the way he plays a match, and it sucks. He should be more positive.

I mean, yeah, he is humble, and it's something I both hate and love about him, if that makes any sense, lol..

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Q. I have a different question for you. Everyone in tennis loves Roger, respects Roger. He is said to be the best of all time. Yet two out of every three times you play him, you win. You've won six of the last seven times. Who's a better player?
RAFAEL NADAL: You like this. You are focused on the Roger thing, eh? (laughter.)
Yesterday with the clay. Today with the if somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis. That's my answer.

Q. How so?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: So you don't know nothing about tennis.

Nadal shows the way but the Rafatards still fail to see the ligth.
Poor tards :hug:

andylovesaustin
05-30-2010, 12:27 PM

Q. How so?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: So you don't know nothing about tennis.

Nadal shows the way but the Rafatards still fail to see the ligth.
Poor tards :hug:

Well... didn't he continue to say there was differential between players in the top ten. Didn't he say that on a given day, anybody could beat anybody? He said something like, "That's tennis."

I don't think Rafa's so much humble as he is expressing the reality of the situation except in a few cases I will refrain from mentioning. It's true Rafa, at this point in his career, has NOT achieved Roger's success. It's true most of Rafa's victories over Roger have been on clay... as he said. So it is what it is.

What I like about the presser is that Rafa seems a bit tired of talking about Roger! :rolls: It's as if his career is "defined" by is rivalry with Roger, and I think he wants to be more than that.

So Rafatards shouldn't get all upset by Rafa's comments. He's just telling it like it is... What Rafa is trying to say is.. "Compare me to Roger when and if I ever win 16 grand slams; then we'll talk, but not now. For now, I'm tired of answering these types of questions." :shrug: I mean.. Rafa is successful in his own right and in his own terms. He has his own legacy. It's not like he's a failure if he never has the same type of success as Roger.

FormerRafaFan
05-30-2010, 12:34 PM
What I like about the presser is that Rafa seems a bit tired of talking about Roger! :rolls: It's as if his career is "defined" by is rivalry with Roger, and I think he wants to be more than that.

Yes, you nailed it. I think there's a a truth to this.

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Yes, you nailed it. I think there's a a truth to this.

Read into it what you want. but the words are clear. Rafa thinks Roger is greater because he has 10 more Slams, and he is tired of this BS.

I'm sure Rafa would be very embarrassed about the crap his tards talk in forums like this one.

andylovesaustin
05-30-2010, 12:51 PM
Read into it what you want. but the words are clear. Rafa thinks Roger is greater because he has 10 more Slams, and he is tired if this BS.

I'm sure Rafa would be very annoyed about the crap his tards talk in forums like this one.

He might think Roger is greater overall that doesn't mean Rafa isn't proud of his own accomplishments. That doesn't mean Rafa doesn't respect other players talent, game, and accomplishments, too.

Rafa is just stating the obvious concerning Roger. It's everybody else who keeps bringing up their H2H--which Rafa acknowledged his lead is due to beating him mostly on clay.

At the same time, Rafa CAN beat him. He said.. sure I can beat him. In other words, in spite of Roger's "greatness" overall, he can be beaten just as Rafa can be beaten. :shrug:

So... Roger's past accomplishments don't really matter much if he has an off-day, or if another player just beats him outright. Sure, Roger is respected, but IN THE MOMENT, he's just as good as his last win ;), and as Rafa said, the same is true for him, too.

I just think Rafa is pretty realistic. I don't think he's necessarily ass-kissing at all.

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 12:52 PM
He might think Roger is greater overall that doesn't mean Rafa isn't proud of his own accomplishments. That doesn't mean Rafa doesn't respect other players talent, game, and accomplishments, too.

Rafa is just stating the obvious concerning Roger. It's everybody else who keeps bringing up their H2H--which Rafa acknowledged his lead is due to beating him mostly on clay.

At the same time, Rafa CAN beat him. He said.. sure I can beat him. In other words, in spite of Roger's "greatness" overall, he can be beaten just as Rafa can be beaten. :shrug:

So... Roger's past accomplishments don't really matter much if he has an off-day, or if another player just beats him outright. Sure, Roger is respected, but IN THE MOMENT, he's just as good as his last win ;), and as Rafa said, the same is true for him, too.

I just think Rafa is pretty realistic. I don't think he's necessarily ass-kissing at all.

No disagreement.

l_mac
05-30-2010, 01:08 PM
No-one could deny that Fed's achievements are greater than Rafa's or that he's had the better career :confused: What is the fuss?

Rafa knows that he is good enough to beat Federer, no-one can deny that either.

FormerRafaFan
05-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Read into it what you want. but the words are clear. Rafa thinks Roger is greater because he has 10 more Slams, and he is tired of this BS.

I'm sure Rafa would be very embarrassed about the crap his tards talk in forums like this one.

I know. Like you said, he is tired of talking about Roger all the time, and I understand him. It should be about his game, not Roger's.

viruzzz
05-30-2010, 01:23 PM
Well... I think Rafa's in a great shape.
But if you think about it, he's always in a great shape.
Lleyton played a very good match, with great highlights, he really wanted to win the match.

Also I want to salute everyone in the forum, it's my first day here :D

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 01:27 PM
No-one could deny that Fed's achievements are greater than Rafa's or that he's had the better career :confused: What is the fuss?

Rafa knows that he is good enough to beat Federer, no-one can deny that either.

I dont want to torment you Rafatard: But the question Rafa answered was not who's achievments are greater (which is a no-brainer) but "Who's a better player?"

But hey, Rafa is the greatest on clay and he will remain so even if he does not win RG this year (unlikely). :hug:

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 01:29 PM
I know. Like you said, he is tired of talking about Roger all the time, and I understand him. It should be about his game, not Roger's.

I agree. Rafatards love to rant about how Rafa performs vs. Roger instead of shifting focus to Rafa's game. :shrug:

l_mac
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
I dont want to torment you Rafatard: But the question Rafa answered was not who's achievments are greater (which is a no-brainer) but "Who's a better player?"

Rafa's answer:

You see the titles of him and you see the titles of me? It's no comparison. So that's the answer. Is difficult to compare Roger with me now, because he has 16 Grand Slams; I have 6. Masters 1000, yeah, I have more than him. But for the rest of the things the records of Roger is very, very almost impossible to improve.

He is clearly answering in regard to achievements.

Of course I am also certain that Rafa will tell you Roger is a more complete player than him. :D

andylovesaustin
05-30-2010, 01:43 PM
I agree. Rafatards love to rant about how Rafa performs vs. Roger instead of shifting focus to Rafa's game. :shrug:

What's cool about Rafa..that his fans should pride themselves... is that Rafa is starting to see himself as separate from Roger. I'm not so sure if that's always been the case.

At one point, it seemed to me Rafa DID idolize Roger. Now.. rather than idolize him.. he respects him.. which is a lot healthier and more realistic, I think.

From his comments, Rafa realizes he's still has some contributions to make, too. Will he overtake Roger? Who knows? But even Rafa realize his success should not be measure against Roger's record.

Yeah.. so rather than beat a dead horse about which one is "greater," I guess it would be better just to let Rafa be "great" in his own right..and then see what happens. :shrug:

That's what I get from his comments. I like it. Some people think Rafa is stupid because he's not a "polyglot." Rafa is a pretty smart guy.

Matt01
05-30-2010, 02:41 PM

I'm sure Rogie would be embarassed for his tards as well :o

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm sure Rogie would be embarassed for his tards as well :o

yes, but a bit less maybe ;)

Commander Data
05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
Rafa's answer:

He is clearly answering in regard to achievements.

Of course I am also certain that Rafa will tell you Roger is a more complete player than him. :D

Yes. answering the questin whether Fed is greater then him or not with Feds achievements. making the point that the player that has won 16 Slams is greater.

oz_boz
05-30-2010, 09:07 PM
Doesn't look as convincing as sometimes from Rafa, depth missing. Anyway he is a lock for the title IMO, since the competitors are also struggling - Djokovic struggling with serve and mentality, DelPo and Donkey injured, Fed slower.

heya
05-31-2010, 03:21 AM
Doesn't look as convincing as sometimes from Rafa, depth missing. Anyway he is a lock for the title IMO, since the competitors are also struggling - Djokovic struggling with serve and mentality, DelPo and Donkey injured, Fed slower.
Double standard bullcrapo. Feeling threatened, no?
You've outdone yourself, intellectual one.