Ginepri is good to watch [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ginepri is good to watch

FlavorNuts
05-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Moves well, dissects the court well especially with the backhand, goes for winners.
Doesn't grunt or celebrate like a monkey, hits a good winner and immediately puts his head down and walks back to the baseline.

Deserves more fans.

Johnny Groove
05-29-2010, 04:55 PM
Too bad he only plays well a few times a year and SHIT the other 10 months.

FlavorNuts
05-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I haven't seen him play a lot in the past 5 years because his ranking has been so shit, but I remember him playing ridiculously well during the US hard court season in 05, almost making the USO finals, and he's always played Federer very close in subsequent matches over the years.

When he's playing even remotely well he's a much better player than Robredo, Fish, Acasuso etc. but they've all somehow had a better career than he has.

tennisfan856
05-29-2010, 06:02 PM
He has a good game, but his personality is as exciting as an ironing board. He isn't very marketable for the U.S. since he's so stiff, and his lack of motivation in patches of the season have always affected his ranking. Deep down inside through the mess, he's a great player though.

dweijnen
05-29-2010, 06:06 PM
He is great!

philosophicalarf
05-29-2010, 06:14 PM
He's turned into just about the biggest choker on tour the last 2 years, so today's result is all the more impressive for it (winning after dumping a 2 set lead, and being broken serving for the match).

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 06:48 PM
I like his 2-handed BH, very simple movement and he can take it either way. Always expected more from him but consistency (mentality?) has been an issue.

Filo V.
05-29-2010, 07:45 PM
He is great to watch, but his motivational and confidence issues make him hard to really be a fan of unless you are truly dedicated to following him.

When he's playing well, he doesn't have many weaknesses at all.

shotgun
05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
He has a good game, but his personality is as exciting as an ironing board.

True. He's dull, dumb and never has anything remotely interesting to say in interviews.

jcempire
05-29-2010, 09:14 PM
yes....consistency (mentality?) has been an issue.

and today he is almost 28. So....un-oh

tektonac
05-29-2010, 09:33 PM
True. He's dull, dumb and never has anything remotely interesting to say in interviews.

he's got himself an adequate fan who started this thread :shrug:

Smoke944
05-29-2010, 09:57 PM

So you know him personally, then?

Bagelicious
05-29-2010, 10:01 PM
but I remember him playing ridiculously well during the US hard court season in 05, almost making the USO finals, and he's always played Federer very close in subsequent matches over the years.

He has a good game, but his personality is as exciting as an ironing board.

QFT. I remember noticing him before the USO 05 and listening to an interview he gave after a match he'd won where he spoke in a monotone all the way through and I gave up. I've tried to like him, but I just can't, and his game hasn't been consistent enough for me to like either. :zzz:

shotgun
05-29-2010, 10:21 PM
So you know him personally, then?

Seen plenty of off-court interviews with the guy and have heard this from more than one person that met him.

If you think he's full of charisma, than each to his own. :shrug:

Smoke944
05-29-2010, 10:27 PM
Seen plenty of off-court interviews with the guy and have heard this from more than one person that met him.

If you think he's full of charisma, than each to his own. :shrug:

How does charisma=intelligence?
And he seems boring in interviews, but he might not like to be very open in interviews. Which I don't think is uncommon amongst players...

shotgun
05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
How does charisma=intelligence?

They are different things, and Ginepri seems to lack both.

Anyway, I don't even dislike him, I'm just stating my perception combined with what I heard of him.

idolwatcher1
05-29-2010, 10:36 PM
Robby's not for everyone, but I love how the original poster says that Ginepri is good player to watch, yet people take that to mean he has to give "interesting" interviews or something... What do interviews have to do with watching someone play tennis? :lol:

Robby's shy and reserved off the court, but he's a really nice guy, and he's shown a lot of class over the years. Some people only seem to care about how outgoing, bubbly, wild, crazy, or rude a player is in press interviews. Not me, I don't watch tennis matches or follow players for comedic or betting purposes...

green25814
05-29-2010, 10:43 PM
These people are SPORTSMEN. Almost none of them have a good personality. You people :silly:

Smoke944
05-29-2010, 10:55 PM
They are different things, and Ginepri seems to lack both.

Anyway, I don't even dislike him, I'm just stating my perception combined with what I heard of him.

Fair enough. I'm just saying that you might not see his real personality unless he is in the company of friends.

The Magician
05-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Roddick's generation is extremely talented but all underachieved. Fish and Ginepri have shown they have the game to beat anyone but not the mentality or motivation. Blake reached #4 in the world but in my view underachieved relative to his potential. Dent had to deal with injuries, and an argument could even be made for Roddick underachieving.

Hopefully the new generation of American players will be mentally tougher, but based on Querrey's attitude I doubt it :help:

docking34
05-30-2010, 04:54 AM
I do enjoy Ginepri. Always been my favorite player over Roddick. Ginepri doesn't seem arrogant and has seemingly very graceful nice backhand and forehand. I do enjoy his Under Armour apparel and backwards hat. I liked when he used to wear sleeveless. Why did Nadul quit that too? Only guy i Know now is G. Monfils who wears sleeveless and maybe Serra or something.

leng jai
05-30-2010, 05:22 AM
There are many mysteries in life; Ginepri lacking fans is not one of them.

tennisfan856
05-30-2010, 05:30 AM
The posters who are asking why we are questioning his personality, it's because the original poster thinks he needs more fans. Listen, his personality has also affected why he isn't a perennial top 30 player on the tour. Once he achieves a little bit of success, he gets fat with confidence and starts dropping quickly in the rankings. After 2005, he thought he'd be gifted success and it almost ruined his career. Last year, he wins a tournament in the U.S. series and he thinks he's king of the world; proceeds to lose to Safin, Becker, and the heartwrenching loss to Almagro. Add to the fact that he is normally pitiful overseas, and you can see why he doesn't really have any long-lasting fans.

Just when you start to appreciate him and his game, he folds and disappears for a while and then you have to develop the relationship all over again with him. I wish him well but the guy seems to really rely on momentum to help him win on the tour. And, as we all know, momentum doesn't last for long periods of time.

idolwatcher1
05-30-2010, 07:51 AM
The posters who are asking why we are questioning his personality, it's because the original poster thinks he needs more fans. Listen, his personality has also affected why he isn't a perennial top 30 player on the tour. Once he achieves a little bit of success, he gets fat with confidence and starts dropping quickly in the rankings. After 2005, he thought he'd be gifted success and it almost ruined his career. Last year, he wins a tournament in the U.S. series and he thinks he's king of the world; proceeds to lose to Safin, Becker, and the heartwrenching loss to Almagro. Add to the fact that he is normally pitiful overseas, and you can see why he doesn't really have any long-lasting fans.

Just when you start to appreciate him and his game, he folds and disappears for a while and then you have to develop the relationship all over again with him. I wish him well but the guy seems to really rely on momentum to help him win on the tour. And, as we all know, momentum doesn't last for long periods of time.
The original poster is simply stating that he feels Robby deserves more fans because of his tennis and how he conducts himself on court. In fact, the premise of the original poster seems to be that nothing else should really matter except those two things... ;) (i.e. anyone making something else into an issue, outside of those two things, is missing the point of what he's saying.)

By the way, I think your assessment of Ginepri is misguided. When Robby achieves a little bit of success, confidence is NOT what hinders him... the pressure he starts putting on himself (or that he feels from others) is generally what screws him up...

Pressure only helps magnify the problem he's always struggled with, which is separating the psychology of the game (and the emotions of the game) from the strategical tactics of the game. Basically, the higher his ranking or the expectations around him, the more pressure he feels to do everything perfectly. So, anytime he starts a patch of mishits during crucial points in a match (or even just one major one), the more easily frustrated he becomes, which then cripples his ability to relax and stay focused on the strategical tactics of the game... which then generally causes him to make even more errors, which then causes him to lose even more crucial points in a match, which then causes him even more frustration because his loss is no longer just a frightening thought, but now a reality. It's a vicious psychological cycle that's plagued him for much of his career, and was only magnified when he started feeling expectations placed on him to start making more semifinals/finals, etc.

The more obscure Robby is or the less expectations placed on him, the more he is able to focus on just playing the best tennis he can, rather than all the other factors that creep into the game.

FlavorNuts
05-30-2010, 09:43 AM
Goes to show how removed the fans are from the actual game when they can't acknowledge a player who plays entertaining tennis on the basis of him not having enough charisma.

Xristos
05-30-2010, 09:48 AM
Always been a fan.

BaselineSmash
05-30-2010, 10:01 AM
In 2005, when he and Blake had good runs at the USO, Ginepri looked like having the better prospects. His game was more economical and reliable off both sides, and he was mentally strong back then. But he hasn't passed the 3rd round at the USO since, and his recent record at RG has been better.

I like watching him when he's playing well, his game is really sensible and well put together. But he doesn't play like that often. In present form, I'm sure he'll be competitive against Djokovic.

Bargearse
05-30-2010, 10:06 AM
He's one of those players who I never follow because he disappears from time to time, but when I see his name in the draw or that he's gotten through a few rounds I'm never surprised and I'm always happy when he wins. I wouldn't put money on him though.

canbera
05-30-2010, 02:08 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't see too many matches of RG yet, but it was no joy to watch him in Duesseldorf. Though from the scoreline you couldn't really tell that ( lost to Almagro in a 3rd set tie-break and gave Zeballos an unexpected hard time after the first set ) there was major choking included. Bad body language as well. I'm still happy for him that he is making his way in RG. Hopefully he is going to give Djokovic a hard time on court.

alfonsojose
05-30-2010, 09:57 PM
He's so f*cking hot :drool: :drool: Of course he's good to watch.

Filo V.
05-30-2010, 10:20 PM
There are many mysteries in life; Ginepri lacking fans is not one of them.

I'm a fan of his. He really isn't lacking in fans compared to many players in the top 100.