If the top 10 were to retire today.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If the top 10 were to retire today..

Black Adam
05-29-2010, 01:19 PM
Murray, Tsonga and Soderling wouldn't be eligible to play on senior tour on the basis of never won a Slam, Davis cup or been number 1.

Discuss. What are the odds this guys will ever gain this eligibility?

orangehat
05-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Murray, Tsonga and Soderling wouldn't be eligible to play on senior tour on the basis of never won a Slam, Davis cup or been number 1.

Discuss. What are the odds this guys will ever gain this eligibility?

Most likely Tsonga (Davis Cup)

ApproachShot
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Then again Henman was invited to play on the Champions Tour and unlike Murray, Tsonga and Soderling, he hadn't reached a Grand Slam final.

robinpirate
05-29-2010, 01:43 PM
:mad::mad::o
It'd be a disgrace! Everybody knows that all the ATP tour players strive for the realization of the dream of playing in the Senior Tour

oranges
05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Aren't GS finalists eligible?

Goldenoldie
05-29-2010, 01:52 PM
The rules are not strictly enforced for the seniors tour. I'm sure I remember El Aynaoui playing in a Seniors tournament in LOndon.

andy neyer
05-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Murray will win a GS but but won't win the DC (I'm uncertain on whether he's capable of getting to no 1)

Clownga will not win a GS and will not get to no 1 and most likely won win the DC either.

Soderling won't win a GS, won't get to no 1 and won't win the DC.

Trust me on this, I know.

decrepitude
05-29-2010, 02:43 PM
If any of these young ones were to retire today it would probably be because of a horrendous problem that would make them incapable of playing on the senior tour anyway.

Diprosalic
05-29-2010, 02:47 PM
afaik you just have to be a former top 5 or a GS finalist. so murray, soderling and tsonga could play

juninhOH
05-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Meligeni has played quite a lot of senior tournaments and he isnt eligible at all according to the rules.

Fuck the rules actually, its a senior tour.

Filo V.
05-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Well, I don't consider any of the three legends of the game and I don't think they ever will be, so unless they meet the requirements in their careers I wouldn't want them to qualify for the senior tour.

Murray and Tsonga have decent chances.

KarlyM
05-29-2010, 11:32 PM
afaik you just have to be a former top 5 or a GS finalist. so murray, soderling and tsonga could play
Just to note, there are 2 seniors tours -->

The ATP Champions Tour (http://www.atpchampionstour.com/eligibility.html) (the one everyone is more familiar with) requires a player to have achieved one of the following:
**#1 ranking in singles
**a grand slam singles finalist
**a singles player in a victorious Davis Cup team

The Champions Series (http://www.championsseriestennis.com/series_description.php) (Courier's tour, was sponsored by Outback Steakhouse) requires a player to have achieved one of the following:
**top 5 ranking in singles
**a grand slam singles finalist
**a singles player in a victorious Davis Cup team

I believe the minimum age for both is 30. Champions Series gives out a WC for each event to someone who doesn't meet the requirements (which is how Meligeni won Rio). Both tours likely accept players who don't meet the requirements to fill out the player field when "legends" don't sign up.

Murray, Tsonga, and Soderling all made it to a GS final, so they would be eligible for both tours in the future. ;)