RG R3 Cilic def Mayer 6-4 3-6 7-5 6-7 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R3 Cilic def Mayer 6-4 3-6 7-5 6-7 6-4

daddy
05-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Lets go Marin!!!

Smoke944
05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Wow. Unfortunately some spectacularly bad play on BPs in the fifth by Leo.

Luinir
05-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Loser and pathetic this Mayer

JediFed
05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Lucky, he was outplayed by Mayer.

The only difference maker was his 5/11 vs 3/14 on BPs. Mayer earned 4 BPs on the final game to try to level to 5 all.

DwyaneWade
Soderling is going to crush Cilic

Smoke944
BTW I feel Mayer shouldn't have gotten a point penalty on set point when his racket didn't even hit the lineswoman.

TMJordan
Fuck u Mayer. I hate you.

The mug Cilic will be ripped apart next round. :wavey:

marquez
05-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Lucky, he was outplayed by Mayer.

The only difference maker was his 5/11 vs 3/14 on BPs. Mayer earned 4 BPs on the final game to try to level to 5 all.

indeed, mayer just blew it on the bps though cilic played well on some

but there were at least 2 or 3 on these 110 km/h serves that he blew easily

Everko
Cilic vs Soderling. Like choosing which poison you want to take.

croat123
BTW I feel Mayer shouldn't have gotten a point penalty on set point when his racket didn't even hit the lineswoman.
he broke his racquet and kicked it at a lineswoman. yes, he deserved it

some clutch play by cilic on those bps....serve and volley :worship:
gotta serve better next round

fabolous
05-28-2010, 05:48 PM
is that what happened because i noticed he didn't shake the umpire's hand.

Smoke944
05-28-2010, 05:49 PM
indeed, mayer just blew it on the bps though cilic played well on some

but there were at least 2 or 3 on these 110 km/h serves that he blew easily

Very tentative returning on BPs by Mayer

vn01
I like Marin's 5th set game.After this match,I completely become his fan.Bravo.He reminds me of Del Potro.

scarecrows
retarded play by Mayer in those last game BPs

scarecrows
Very tentative returning on BPs by Mayer

he was hugging the linesmen on return

Smoke944
05-28-2010, 05:50 PM
he broke his racquet and kicked it at a lineswoman. yes, he deserved it

some clutch play by cilic on those bps....serve and volley :worship:
gotta serve better next round

How do you know he even broke it?

Deivid23
05-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Good boy Marin

Smoke944
05-28-2010, 05:54 PM
he was hugging the linesmen on return

yep and yet even that far back he was still hitting loopy backhand returns

sheva07
05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Epic stuff.

Guy Haines
05-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Marin's inability to maintain momentum and close out matches continues to hinder him at majors.

He should have been done with this match in 4 at the very least.

Instead it went five full sets and he had trouble closing it out in the last game.

Now Soderling goes into their matchup fresher, which is not a good thing since Soderling is the better clay (or at least RG) player. I'll be rooting for Marin because I infinitely prefer his style of big tennis, and his overall personality.

Anyway, reaching 4th round is a good result for Marin, and I hope he carries things over to grass, where he could really be a contender. Good luck to him from this point forward.

LocoPorElTenis
05-28-2010, 06:25 PM
Choker of the highest calibre this Mayer, how many millions of bps did he waste in the 5th?

croat123
05-28-2010, 06:32 PM
How do you know he even broke it?
he changed it right away. regardless, he slammed it, kicked it and it flew right at the lineswoman. broken or not, he deserved the warning.
he knew it too. didn't complain at all

malisha
05-28-2010, 06:38 PM
expected one

Mayer played very well....enough firepower to beat just anyone...and on both wings....without as many expecrience as Cilic in tight 5 setters like this one and that probably decided this very close match

keep your chin up Marin and give Soderling a match....thats what i expect

Bj÷rki
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Leo :hug: :awww:

malisha
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Choker of the highest calibre this Mayer, how many millions of bps did he waste in the 5th?

only two beofre the last game

Smoke944
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
expected one

Mayer played very well....enough firepower to beat just anyone...and on both wings....without as many expecrience as Cilic in tight 5 setters like this one and that probably decided this very close match

keep your chin up Marin and give Soderling a match....thats what i expect

Agreed. Mayer doesn't defend that well but other than that he has an absolutely huge game.

Guy Haines
05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
I like Marin's 5th set game.After this match,I completely become his fan.Bravo.He reminds me of Del Potro.

Marin is a true competitor. :D

His concentration isn't yet near Del Potro's level, and he's not as solid, but his game actually has a little more finesse and better -- if less reliable -- form (thus he's not sidelined by injury).

Caralimon
05-28-2010, 06:46 PM
he changed it right away. regardless, he slammed it, kicked it and it flew right at the lineswoman. broken or not, he deserved the warning.
he knew it too. didn't complain at all

He didn't deserve the first warning though. Well, he did, but the call was terrible.

Deathless Mortal
05-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Good that Marin won, but it shouldn't have been in 5 sets.
It will be very tough against Soderling, but I think he has more chances against big hitters than against classic clay courters.

Guy Haines
05-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Good that Marin won, but it shouldn't have been in 5 sets.
It will be very tough against Soderling, but I think he has more chances against big hitters than against classic clay courters.

Yeah, that is a cause for hope.

Soderling is fresher and has better form right now but Marin does have more variety than Robin.

samanosuke
05-28-2010, 06:54 PM
It's just priceless to have a privileges to watch Cilic when he is playing a breaker . Someone who didn't see that didn't see nothing . Toad will blow him out of the court

petar_pan
05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
he really needs to stop with that retoric "i can't win a TB". he thinks like that, that's obvious from plane
btw, i knew he will gonna win the 5th set, because he is on of the best player in 5th set

malisha
05-28-2010, 07:10 PM
it sholud have been 5 sets...ffs Mayer had like 80 winners....25 aces...huge hitting and even bigger serving

you guys sound like its Bernard Tomic(who took him to 5 sets)

Nev
05-28-2010, 07:20 PM
Good match from Leo, I'd have expected Cilic in 4, but Leo took it farther.
I didn't like the decisions taken by the umpire, but anyway Leo managed to keep his concentration in the match and was favored once for a bad call which they had to replay the point. It can't be blamed for not taking the opportunities in the fifth because Marin also didn't play very bad the break points, made some variety (serve & volley and a serve to the body) and got the balls in.

petar_pan
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
it sholud have been 5 sets...ffs Mayer had like 80 winners....25 aces...huge hitting and even bigger serving

yes, mayer is really good but marin really should to win this in 4
in that case he would play 3 hours instead more than 4

oranges
05-28-2010, 07:28 PM
Not doing himself any favors by playing a five setter before a tough match, but onto the 4th round :rocker: Bring on Soda :music:

Deathless Mortal
05-28-2010, 07:37 PM

I'm not saying Mayer didn't play good, he did, but Marin still had to finish it in 4, he had chances, and as a top10 player (well not currently but it's only a matter of time when he comes back) he had to finish it earlier. And that last game lasted much too long. I hope those are the things we can write to his inexperience and that it will improve with years, I'm pretty sure it will.

ChinoRios4Ever
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM
That was close from Poor Mans Gonzo, good effort :yeah:

beat the overrated one now Marin :fiery:

petar_pan
05-28-2010, 08:03 PM
btw, i knew marin gonna win the 5th set because he is one of the best player in 5th set

Filo V.
05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Mayer played really well and I think deserved the win today, but Marin was more mentally tough, served well when he needed to, and was simply the more solid and experienced player today, which proved itself as the match got tight.

Marin played at around an OK level, not too high and not too low, but not even close to enough to beat Soderling. He got dictated to too much today, and a more solid hard hitter like Soderling will beat him if he doesn't step it up.

fran70
05-29-2010, 12:02 AM
I think that Mayer played a great match. He had his chances but he was the underdog in this match. I never expected that he would had taken Cilic to such instance. People should bear in mind that Cilic is a much better player than Mayer and clay is Leo`s weakest surface. He had a great tournament though. ;)

daddy
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM
I think that Mayer played a great match. He had his chances but he was the underdog in this match. I never expected that he would had taken Cilic to such instance. People should bear in mind that Cilic is a much better player than Mayer and clay is Leo`s weakest surface. He had a great tournament though. ;)

From ATP
ull name is Leonardo Martin Mayer…Nicknamed Leo…Began playing tennis at age nine…Father, Orlando, works in a bank; mother, Estela, is a teacher...Has two brothers Gabriel and Walter, one sister, Veronica....Considers clay as favorite surface and forehand as strength…

fran70
05-29-2010, 01:04 AM
From ATP

I`d followed him since he started playing future tournaments in Argentina and I saw him struggling with this surface. He definitely feels more comfortable playing on hard courts than on clay. Just watch his matches....

daddy
05-29-2010, 01:08 AM
Mayer played really well and I think deserved the win today, but Marin was more mentally tough, served well when he needed to, and was simply the more solid and experienced player today, which proved itself as the match got tight.

You must be kidding me, flyboy. Aside from the 5th set, Marin was a mental midget today. He should have finished this in 3 sets. He chocked 2nd set b/c he was upset over one bad call and let go of an early break. Chocked on 4th set tiebreak. His 1st serve was at or less than 50%....

daddy
05-29-2010, 01:16 AM
I`d followed him since he started playing future tournaments in Argentina and I saw him struggling with this surface. He definitely feels more comfortable playing on hard courts than on clay. Just watch his matches....

His best results this year came from clay, he even made Verdasco work hard last week. He's a good server and good attacker but sucks at defence so slower surfaces help his defensive game. I do believe, if he clears his head, he can be top 20.

fran70
05-29-2010, 01:21 AM
His best results this year came from clay, he even made Verdasco work hard last week. He's a good server and good attacker but sucks at defence so slower surfaces help his defensive game. I do believe, if he clears his head, he can be top 20.

I don`t follow their latest results to consider if a sort of surface suits better to certain players than to others but only their style of game and the way they move on them. But I respect your opinion anyway.

daddy
05-29-2010, 01:29 AM
;)

ReturnWinner
05-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Mayer is a typical argentine tennis player who loses tight important matches choking in the key moments.
anyway He has improved his game and I think will reach the top 30 soon.

fran70
05-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Mayer is a typical argentine tennis player who loses tight important matches choking in the key moments.

That property doesn`t belong only to the Argentines...;)

tennishero
05-29-2010, 11:10 PM

mayer has taken it to a whole new level.. he is really stupid too. to get into the top 30 he needs to learn to think on court first.

also argentina have a lot of good tennis players, not all of them can be mentally tough. del potro makes up for the rest :p