Why does Roddick always have to be the night match? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why does Roddick always have to be the night match?

m_hart
09-09-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh right.....because he's American....that says it all. I would much rather see Hewitt/Hass as the featured night match and so would most people I know. They need to understand that Roddick is not the end all be all of men's tennis. IMO H/H will be better than Roddick/Johansson. Hewitt and Haas have arguably been playing the best tennis of the tournament, yet they've both been relegated to morning or afternoon matches. Between the line calls againt Serena and only showing matches of particular players, the USTA is really pissing me off! They need to get it together and start actually listening to the fans.

Als
09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
I can not believe that Haas and Hewitt didn't get the night match, that is absolutely crazy! That along with Agassi-Federer is the match of the tournament so far! I'm raging. Andy will just thrash Johannason in a boring match like all the rest of his night matches. And Haas' match, it will either rain all day and then it will be moved to Grandstand and be played in front an empty stadium like Tim last night, or else it will go ahead at the time it's planned, and then I'll miss it because I'm working!

God I'm pissed off at that scheduling!

~EMiLiTA~
09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
yeah, I also thought the Hewitt/Haas was going to be the night match...it's like 2 high profile players as compared with Roddick/Pim Pim (let's face, it the average American spectator would not know much about Pim Pim)...but then again...it's Roddick...just seems a bit stupid to have him playing 99% of his matches at night

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2004, 02:00 PM
Well it's probably going to rain all day again anyways, so who cares :p

RebelNYC
09-09-2004, 02:44 PM
The USTA doesn't care about the fans, they only give a crap about putting
Andy on ...doesn't matter who he is playing, the hell with a good match, they
just do what they are going to do. I would much rather see Hewitt/Haas,
but the USTA pulls this stunt every year....BORING!

Carito_90
09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Oh right.....because he's American....that says it all.

Why do you bother to start a thread, ask something if you already know the answer?

Deboogle!.
09-09-2004, 03:47 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with Andy, it has to do with filling seats, that's all they care about. the night seats are more expensive and they're gonna put on whoever they think will sell the most tickets$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wulfram
09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Roddick is the defending champion, as well as being american. I think it's fair enough really, even if the match is likely to be the most boring in history for those who enjoy rallies.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM
It doesn't have anything to do with Andy, it has to do with filling seats, that's all they care about. the night seats are more expensive and they're gonna put on whoever they think will sell the most tickets$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

That's your best ever post.

Havok
09-09-2004, 04:19 PM
He's a big draw, end of story.

TheBoiledEgg
09-09-2004, 04:21 PM
they'll probably change the schedule cos its raining

if it dont stop raining by 7pm
they'll tell Andre to piss off
but Andre wont like that and will :speakles: to the USTA and get his way
anyone else :o

Tommy and Potato wont get on before Duck if it dont stop raining

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 04:23 PM
they'll probably change the schedule cos its raining

if it dont stop raining by 7pm
they'll tell Andre to piss off
but Andre wont like that and will :speakles: to the USTA and get his way
anyone else :o

Tommy and Potato wont get on before Duck if it dont stop raining

If they had any clue wouldn't they put them all on at the same time.

Sorry, that was very stupid of me to suggest something that is fair and logical.

Havok
09-09-2004, 04:25 PM
They did that last night, so no it wasn't a stupid and logical question. Though you had 3 shit matches and one good one so they didn't mind throwing those other 3 "blah" matches on the other show courts.;)

Éowyn
09-09-2004, 08:59 PM
the simple answer and accurate answer is a simple one word "RATINGS" if you wanted the other answer it's "ticket sales"

pinky
09-09-2004, 09:02 PM
yeah, I also thought the Hewitt/Haas was going to be the night match...it's like 2 high profile players as compared with Roddick/Pim Pim (let's face, it the average American spectator would not know much about Pim Pim)...but then again...it's Roddick...just seems a bit stupid to have him playing 99% of his matches at night

Let's face it, the average American spectator would not know much about anyone of those 4 but Andy ;)

*Ljubica*
09-09-2004, 09:12 PM
Let's face it, the average American spectator would not know much about anyone of those 4 but Andy ;)

And they will never get a chance too if their TV doesn't give fair coverage to other players - it's a vicious circle.

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Haas/Hewitt ARE on tv right now.:tape:

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 09:15 PM
And they will never get a chance too if their TV doesn't give fair coverage to other players - it's a vicious circle.

Let them have their few players that they know, it's better for the rest.

SanTaureau Fan
09-09-2004, 09:32 PM

I doubt this is true. I'm sure most people who pay to go to the US Open have a clue about players like Hewitt or Henman.

It's just that it's likely an American player like Roddick sells more tickets. Though that I was annoyed that Roddick vs Jenkins was the night session, it was a bit ridiculous.

TheLittlestElf
09-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Andy plays the most boring matches... Ace, forehand, ace, forehand. Most of them aren't exciting enough for me to even watch :o .

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Haas/Hewitt ARE on tv right now.:tape:

Naldo, the American public is familiar with Haas and Hewitt. The original argument was why Roddick is always getting night matches. Please stay on-topic.

tennischick
09-09-2004, 09:50 PM
Naldo, the American public is familiar with Haas and Hewitt. The original argument was why Roddick is always getting night matches. Please stay on-topic.
:lol: :tape:

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:52 PM
I was responding to Rosie's remark about TV not showing other players. If you tell me to stay on topic, then hows about you start to read the posts in the threads then?

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Like I just said, Naldo, the American public is familiar with them. How about players that they don't ordinarily see? I think that is the point Rosie was attempting to make.

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:58 PM
Check the first post, it's talking about Roddick/PimPim match getting the night match over the Hewitt/Haas match. If Rosie was talking about other players, then I think you should advise your friend to stay on topic then.:tape:

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
Check the first post, it's talking about Roddick/PimPim match getting the night match over the Hewitt/Haas match. If Rosie was talking about other players, then I think you should advise your friend to stay on topic then.:tape:

The truth is, no matter who Roddick is playing, he will always get a night match.

And we all know night matches don't take as much out of a player as a day match would. I just wonder, if Roddick were to play a day match just in fairness, what the result would be.

Havok
09-09-2004, 10:04 PM
Roddick def. Canas 6-1, 6-3 6-3. Happy?

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 10:05 PM
The rare day match. Wow, geez, I am soooo thrilled that the USTA is actually making it hard on him.

CandyQueen
09-09-2004, 10:07 PM
Come on thats unfair, roddick has had a match in the day against canas. So what if he is scheduled for the night matches? Some players dont like playing in the night. The question asked here is why does roddick have to be in the night match? It was the Usta idea.....so dont go turning the blame onto Roddick, he didnt force them to schedule him at night. Ratings and ticket sales is what seems to be important to the ppl and the sponsers. Players have nothing to do with it. So stop whining and move on!

Havok
09-09-2004, 10:08 PM
Let's get serious now, Andy vs Jenkins, Nadal, Robredo during the day would have gotten the same results as a night match.

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
Come on thats unfair, roddick has had a match in the day against canas. So what if he is scheduled for the night matches? Some players dont like playing in the night. The question asked here is why does roddick have to be in the night match? It was the Usta idea.....so dont go turning the blame onto Roddick, he didnt force them to schedule him at night. Ratings and ticket sales is what seems to be important to the ppl and the sponsers. Players have nothing to do with it. So stop whining and move on!

I've moved on. In fact, I moved on after the last post. Is that fine with you?

CandyQueen
09-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Oh Yeah! Fine and Dandy!