RG R2 : Ferrero def Riba 7-6(5), 6-7(13), 6-2, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R2 : Ferrero def Riba 7-6(5), 6-7(13), 6-2, 6-2

Adri89
05-28-2010, 03:39 PM
Crazy second set.

Riba was serving at 4-0, had some points to lead 5-0. Then Ferrero came back to serve for it at 5-4. Riba break back and saved 3 SP in the tie-break to clinch the set on his 6th SP.

After it, the match was dominated by Juanqui. A very similar scoreline than his loss against Youzhni in 2007 but in the other side.

He has a good chance to reach the second week for the first time since 2003.

Ilovetheblues_86
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
Riba :wazzup:

Arkulari
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
that second set TB was crazy, each man was giving it all, there were dropshots, running to the net, hard groundstrokes, mini breaks going back and forth

all in all it was a pretty good match for Pere, he hang in there as much as he could but Juanqui is just the better player :)

Jimnik
05-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Annoying Ribapova. Decibel levels reached WTA at some points.

Remarkable achievement by JCF to physically outlast his younger opponent. Amidst all the concerns over his knee he showed no problems today. Looked fresh as a daisy towards the end. Hope he feels fine tomorrow.

Voo de Mar
05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
The third longest tie-break in RG history, the longest losing tie-break for Ferrero (the previous one was 10-12, ten years ago).

*bunny*
05-28-2010, 03:50 PM
:woohoo:

That second set was a drama.... glad Juan Carlos came through in four sets!

This Riba guy has a game on clay. But JC is steadier and has more resources and mental fortitude on big points (well, except on those SPs in Set 2).

Hope JC won't be too knackered tomorrow against Ginepri.

Johnny Groove
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Not a bad scoreline for Pere Riba.

We'll be seeing more of him on the clay.

DwyaneWade
05-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Did not see much of this match. How is Ferrero's form? Is he a legitimate threat to Djokovic (looking past Ginepri)?

Jimnik
05-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Confidence is everything for JCF. He's not quite back to his South American level but maybe one more win could give him the mental boost he needs. Judging by Djokovic's performance today, he's gaining confidence too.

Looking at tomorrow's OOP and weather forecast there's a good chance Djokovic will get his match finished a day before JCF. I hope it's not settled on another silly RG scheduling decision.

DwyaneWade
05-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Confidence is everything for JCF. He's not quite back to his South American level but maybe one more win could give him the mental boost he needs. Judging by Djokovic's performance today, he's gaining confidence too.

Looking at tomorrow's OOP and weather forecast there's a good chance Djokovic will get his match finished a day before JCF. I hope it's not settled on another silly RG scheduling decision.

Ok thanks. He definitely has the game to bother Djokovic on this surface.

Filo V.
05-28-2010, 11:53 PM
I have always liked Riba's game. Nice serve, nice forehand, decent offense and defense, and his backhand isn't a liability like many similar players. I can see top 50 in his future if he improves.

JCF had too many weapons and stepped it up with the aggression after the first two sets. He was just the more solid, more experienced player, and it showed. He'll need to play like he did in set 3 and 4 to be a threat to potentially Djokovic in R4.

ApproachShot
05-28-2010, 11:56 PM
What a second set and tiebreak!

Ordinarily there would be nothing to complain about the scheduling in this situation, but the caprices of nature are such that one player may unfortunately end up with a horrid schedule. Having said that, I think the organisers need to have a good look at revising their scheduling arrangements for future years. They could for instance make more use of the first Sunday. Another thing they could do is to offer players with unfinished matches that were postponed from the previous day the option of playing first the next day. I know the rationale to schedule them second in the order of play is so that they can have a little rest after being last on court the previous day, but it seems silly that with the threat of further rain that a match carried over from the previous day might even stretch over 3 days while in the meantime a later round match can finish uninterrupted.

But back on topic, good luck to JCF! I am looking forward to the possible match with Djokovic in round 4.