RG R2: Roddick (6) def. Kavcic 6-3. 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R2: Roddick (6) def. Kavcic 6-3. 5-7, 6-4, 6-2

River
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Pretty good match, except both were getting broken left and right.

Kavcic has some really crisp shots, though. Very decent clay-courter with one problem; he's even sh*ttier than sh*tty in terms of Serves. It was slower than a WTA serve sometimes.

Roddick too good mentally, though he did get annoyed easily. His backhand has improved tremendously, and his flat shots proved beneficial as opposed to his loopy play.

I'm not expecting much of Roddick to go deep, but it's nice to see him trying.

Andy needs to stop getting broken.

Insane Stat of the Day: 1st Serve %

Roddick 67%
Kavcic 77%

Wow.

SloKid
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Bob Kavčič knows where his weakness lies and he's working on it. Broke Roddick a number of times, just couldn't get it done on his own serve. Still a good experience for him, first time on a big stage like this and Bob definitely didn't disappoint.

Action Jackson
05-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Kavcic put in an excellent effort, but the serve has always been his problem, which he knows and that is a mass handicap to further progress unless there is significant improvement.

Selby
05-27-2010, 07:22 PM
Mugfest, but Andy is a mental giant. This is how you win ugly, well done Andy!

Corey Feldman
05-27-2010, 07:23 PM
some effort kavcik to be broken 10 times on clay V Roddick

very difficult draws this Roddick gets to get players who belong in Kazak F5's

The Magician
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
How can you have such an awful serve, especially at 6'2? The serve is the only shot you have complete control over, there is no excuse to have it so fundamentally wrong.

As for Roddick, crap match, but he was always going to reach the 4th round and lose regardless of his level of play.

TennisOnWood
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Nice job Andy

rhinooooo
05-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Gabashvili has a good shot against Andy next round

Provided he doesn't play like an idiot - which is probably doubtful

doublebackhand
05-27-2010, 07:34 PM
Andy for the title!!

Priam
05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Andy on the way to his first qf at rg!

~*BGT*~
05-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Good job grinding it out Andy :)

Sillyrabbit
05-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Gabashvili next, haven't watched him lately, but last time I did, he looked like a ball basher like Troicki. Should be interesting.

Jimnik
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Good match. Damp + cold + Suzanne Lenglen = loads of grueling rallies. Both players gave their all, though it looked like Andy was on the mental edge 3rd set. Wish all the "Roddick is nothing but a serve" morons could have seen this. Today he was everything but.

Kavcic is an exceptional fighter but lacks any real weapons. Not sure how far he can go, there are loads of pushers like him in the top 100.

shadows
05-27-2010, 07:53 PM
'Grats to Roddick. I watched it up till the rain break and then switched to the Monfils/Fognini match so didn't see it all, but the first couple of sets were entertaining tennis for the most part. I thought Kavcic acquitted himself pretty well, certainly lots of good things to take away.

Roddick has done a good job of toughing things out these first two rounds, not necessarily in the best form but he's definitely got the desire there.

tangerine_dream
05-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Nobody to stop you from winning this title, Andy. :cool:

Liked what I saw of Kavcic today, will put him on my stalker watch list.

JamieOwen3
05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
nice win andy and a nice try from Bob Kavcic but andy too experinced. R3 lets go.

docking34
05-27-2010, 08:18 PM
i hope andy makes the QF maybe SF even. this guy is GS material.

igralec33
05-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Good performance Blaž. :yeah: Didn't expect him to take set off Roddick. :)
Congrats to Andy! :)

Filo V.
05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Blaz played very well today and I am very happy he put a good performance on the big stage, but as everyone has said, he lacks a serve, he also lacks power and weapons in general. He's just a good counterpuncher and solid/consistent, but not really enough talent there to be a major player.

Andy played well at times, a decent performance overall but can get better. The slow surface hurt Andy's service ability. He made too many errors but stepped up the aggressiveness as the match went on, and returned and moved well.

I think Gaba has a really good chance to beat Andy in R3 if he doesn't play consistently well and doesn't get rid of the patchy play. You can see Andy's playing himself into form after not playing for so long, and his fighting spirit and determination has definitely helped him in this tournament.

ossie
05-27-2010, 08:22 PM
i hope andy makes the QF maybe SF even. this guy is GS material.

hed have to beat ferrer and the djoker :silly:

Jimnik
05-27-2010, 08:25 PM
hed have to beat ferrer and the djoker :silly:
Did you happen to see his last clay meeting with Ferrer?

docking34
05-27-2010, 08:31 PM
i think he could probably beat ferrer, not all that hard to do. just mix things up a little bit.

Jimnik
05-27-2010, 08:33 PM
It would greatly depend on which court they play. Andy has a hopelessly poor record on Suzanne Lenglen but very solid on Philippe Chatrier. The difference between those two courts is like Monte-Carlo and Rome.

LleytonMonfils
05-27-2010, 08:37 PM
The heavier conditions really don't suit Andy well at all, but he was able to claw through again.

DwyaneWade
05-27-2010, 08:40 PM
Not a huge fan of Roddick, but his backhand was tremendous today. Could very easily lose to Gabashvili next round, but I would not be surprised to see him make the quarters (which would be gravy for him).

samanosuke
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
And why some people are talking about Roddick as the best serve on ATP at the moment ? On other surface his serve is a weapon but on clay he really struggles . Try to imagine Kavcic returning so many serves and breaking so many times Isner or Karlovic

Topspin Forehand
05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
The heavier conditions really don't suit Andy well at all, but he was able to claw through again.
True since Roddick's serve won him very few points because of it. He moves better though when it is wet out though. Clay is more slippery when dry.

KostyaTszyu
05-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Roddick the clay court Demon!:worship:

misty1
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
i dont know who to cheer for next round

i like andy but he shouldnt even still be in the compeition and yet i'd like to see him advance

on the other hand my love for the underdogs finds me cheering for gabashvili

i'll be happy with whoever wins round 3.

good job today thoug andy:)

Horatio Caine
05-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Did you happen to see his last clay meeting with Ferrer?

The past isn't always an indicator for the future.

Yes, Ferrer does tend to under-perform in the bigger events. But if he continues to play at his recent level on the clay he should be too strong for Andy. I'll be shocked if the result is any different.

Expecting Roddick to beat Gabashvili...nice match-up for him, and Tsunami would have to be painting lines all day to beat him (which just doesn't usually happen with him :o).

But the prospect of playing Ferrer in more potentially damp and cold conditions...

Topspin Forehand
05-27-2010, 10:29 PM
I gotta say Roddick is more well-rounded than he ever has. I don't know why that is. Maybe he is finally playing to his potential similar to Agassi.

heya
05-27-2010, 11:30 PM
It's not because AR is more talented the last few months.
(You can see his personal life is mind-numbingly repetitive & utterly distracting.) It's too tough for his belligerent brainless head,
yet he realized that enjoying 'the good life', serving & doing nothing else, then crying about Federer balletically slaughtering all the tennis player community
were stupid, lame things to do.

rhinooooo
05-27-2010, 11:40 PM
(You can see his personal life is mind-numbingly repetitive & utterly distracting.) It's too tough for his belligerent brainless head,
yet he realized that enjoying 'the good life', serving & doing nothing else, then crying about Federer balletically slaughtering all the tennis player community

Did Andy Roddick refuse you an autograph a few years ago?

BigJohn
05-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Andy for the title!!

Roddick the clay court Demon!:worship:

Roddick ftw!!!

You can do it you sweaty clay god.

General Suburbia
05-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Roddick didn't play too badly. Hit a lot of winners, something he never does clay or not.

JediFed
05-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Roddick - Hewitt semis in the making. Old balls > New balls.

LleytonMonfils
05-28-2010, 02:46 AM
And why some people are talking about Roddick as the best serve on ATP at the moment ? On other surface his serve is a weapon but on clay he really struggles . Try to imagine Kavcic returning so many serves and breaking so many times Isner or Karlovic

Those guys are pushing 7 foot tall. Roddick isn't that big and doesn't create a ridiculous angle like they do. A court covered in crazy glue shouldn't be able to ever affect Isner and Karlovic's serve. Andy on the other hand is a completely different story.

Topspin Forehand
05-28-2010, 02:58 AM
Those guys are pushing 7 foot tall. Roddick isn't that big and doesn't create a ridiculous angle like they do. A court covered in crazy glue shouldn't be able to ever affect Isner and Karlovic's serve. Andy on the other hand is a completely different story.
The outside courts are much faster. Faster than hardcourts. I don't know why that is but I've seen some ridiculous skidding on the outside courts.

samanosuke
05-28-2010, 08:42 AM

I agree but the debate is who has the best serve not who is the tallest and I think that clay courts are the best indicator about quality of someone's serve . In the past all great servers like Ivanisevic, Sampras etc... were also struggling to made much aces or free points on clay and for guys like Isner or Karlovic isn't actually matter is it clay or today's grass

seljanin
05-28-2010, 11:17 AM
One thing I really liked about this match was Kavcic's attitude, he played like a believer, showed a lot of heart and positive emotions. That serve is disasterous though :)

Overall, I don't share the opinion that it was a good/decent match by Roddick, even though, of course, it's understandable that the conditions didn't favor him. He made too many UE and had problems with holding his serve, he got broken 7 (!) times. Has to play better vs Gabashvili, who seems to have found some good form.

Mateya
05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
One thing I really liked about this match was Kavcic's attitude, he played like a believer, showed a lot of heart and positive emotions.
That serve is disasterous though :)

Yes, our serving can really suck. :)
Žemlja serves better and hits bigger, but lacks consistency.

We need to make a hybrid of Kavčič and Žemlja to get a top 50 player.

andylovesaustin
05-28-2010, 09:14 PM
:rocker2:

I didn't see the match though!

From what you all have said, Kavcic did well all things considered neither one held serve very well?

Anyway.. the next won it's difficult..Andy v Rusty!

Gonna support Andy... but I'd like to see Rusty do well, too.

OnyxRose
05-28-2010, 10:06 PM
Hewitt plays Nadal next.

andylovesaustin
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
Hewitt plays Nadal next.

Oh... Nadal!

I got confused!

Rusty might have a shot.

If I think Andy has a shot, then Rusty has a shot! :rocker2:

Bagelicious
05-29-2010, 01:48 AM
Nice work from Andy in making it this far!

Did Andy Roddick refuse you an autograph a few years ago?

:haha: I can't believe heya is still on Roddick's case after all these years. Maybe she got upset when he got married? :o :devil: