Has tennis turned into a battle of backhands? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has tennis turned into a battle of backhands?

Start da Game
05-27-2010, 02:55 PM
once the serve is in and the rally begins, we have 2 or 3 shots exchanged between backhands, then a forehand and then again an event of backhand exchanges finally resulting in an error.......this has been the predominant pattern of tennis of late for many players........the role of forehand seems to have changed to an extent that players have almost forgotten the fact that forehands too can be attacked and it's all about opening up the court on either wing to win a point.......

allejandro falla's tactics against fed yesterday gives us something to think about today's tennis.......falla kept it simple yesterday, hit the ball where it was meant to be hit without any kind of negativity.......i mean to say he went after fed's forehand when he was supposed to, unlike the clowns who keep going to his backhand and play right into his hands even when there's a huge opening on his forehand.......why falla lost the match is another story but din't he trouble fed a lot in the first set? had it not been for his mental fragility, he would have pushed a player like fed to 4 sets minimum or even 5 sets on clay which is quite a big thing for him.......

forehand today is being used just to force the issue and players are relying more on their backhands to defend and attack as well.......falla proved yesterday that not only rafa but also fed struggles when you attack him on the forehand.......why is this so? rafa and fed are so used to receiving balls on the backhand that they are not being tested much on their forehands........once someone comes along and plays cleverly like falla, it's of no surprise that they both seem to struggle somewhat.......why they also succeed so much than the others is they realize this very thing and are not afraid of attacking players on their forehand when an opportunity presents.......rafael goes after djokovic's and murray's forehands and opens up the court beautifully.......

has tennis turned into a contest of backhands? yesterday when i caught some action, juan ignacio chela almost choked while hitting forehands and wasn't breathing out of fear until he got the ball back on his backhand, like if he had no trust in his forehand.......

are the players thinking too much along the lines of defensive tennis? why so much hesitance to go after the opponent's forehand even on a clear opening? is backhand starting to become the stronger shot of players today? rafa and fed who possess the best forehands by far on the tour can be excluded from this topic, it's mainly about the ones that are below them.......

paseo
05-27-2010, 05:28 PM
rafa and fed who possess the best forehands by far on the tour.......

Outside clay, Nadal's forehand doesn't even compare to Fed's. Fed's FH is being agrued as the best shot ever in tennis, while there are players right now that hit better FHs than Nadal. No, Nadal doesn't posses the best forehand by far on tour. But on clay, it's another story, though.

justsumma
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
mods... shit...on...this...thread...and...flush...it...dow n...the...toilet...

NYCtennisfan
05-28-2010, 05:45 AM
Nope.

JimmyV
05-28-2010, 07:07 AM
http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/7882/2lm81tu.gif

FlameOn
05-28-2010, 08:03 AM
Blake, Gonzalez, Verdasco, etc.

Forehand tennis lives on, for now anyway. :p

Tutu
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
"Federer struggles when you attack him on the forehand" :haha:

coonster14
05-28-2010, 09:12 AM
nole has a crappy powderpuff forehand these days ever since he changed to HEAD, when he used wilson, damn he really knew how to crush a forehand.
murray's forehand will never be a big weapon regardless what racquet he uses.
for both those guys, their backhand is their bread and butter shot.

Priam
05-28-2010, 09:49 AM
Too many dots for me.

tennishero
05-28-2010, 10:26 AM
no a solid forehand is more important.

sheva07
05-28-2010, 11:31 AM
No.

dodo
05-28-2010, 11:32 AM
Blake, Gonzalez, Verdasco, etc.

Forehand tennis lives on, for now anyway. :p

I think OP's point is, that its practically a given these days that everyone's forehand is dangerous. So, coupled with the trend towards defensive tennis, players spend most of the time neutralizing each other, keeping the ball deep in the BH corner, waiting for an error or an opportunity to attack with the forehand.

Start da Game
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
I think OP's point is, that its practically a given these days that everyone's forehand is dangerous. So, coupled with the trend towards defensive tennis, players spend most of the time neutralizing each other, keeping the ball deep in the BH corner, waiting for an error or an opportunity to attack with the forehand.

yes...basically the question is, has the role of forehand changed? is backhand being given more importance than forehand? is it good or bad for the game? most of the players these days defend better off the backhand wing but still they keep trading shots between backhands.......

are players losing faith in forehand and using it just to go for broke? in general, the consistency level of forehand is definitely dropping.......more errors are from that wing and not many players are confident of stringing together even 3 or 4 good forehands in a point against quality opposition......they are preferring to play safe backhands all day long.......

@paseo

rafael's forehand underwent a few changes with time.......he used to clock forehands at 150-170kmph consistently when he was 17, 18.......once he made his game spin oriented, pace was sacrificed for spins and angles on the court.......

look there's just no one on the tour that can produce the variety of forehands which rafa can.......these days he just doesn't choose to play like how he used to when he was 17.......he sacrificed some of his power for spin.......

who else can whip a ball 12 feet high and get it to dip right in at the very last moment? the curves and the angles.......he can also open up his shoulders and blast a few when needed......

rafa and fed have the best forehands on the tour......fed's forehand is great but the defense of that wing is nothing special.......at least rafa's defense of his forehand is good on clay........push fed to the forehand corner and you will usually see him struggling for timing......his pigeons are real clowns who play right into his hands going after his backhand all the time.......

tyruk14
05-28-2010, 03:05 PM
rafa and fed have the best forehands on the tour......fed's forehand is great but the defense of that wing is nothing special.......at least rafa's defense of his forehand is good on clay........push fed to the forehand corner and you will usually see him struggling for timing......his pigeons are real clowns who play right into his hands going after his backhand all the time.......

Soderling, Verdasco, Del Potro and Gonzalez all have better forehands than Nadal -- off clay, at least. And you're saying that Federer has pigeons? Federer?

When was the last time Nadal lost to one of his pigeons -- namely the Spanish twits like Almugro and the aforementioned Verdasco?

Haelfix
05-28-2010, 04:53 PM
I would say a lot of tennis has turned into attacking weaknesses, whatever they may be on that day.

So yes, its rare to see people give Gonzalez for instance many looks to his forehand, simply b/c his bh is so much weaker.

Otoh its rare for people to want to rally to Nalbandian's bh, as his fh side is much more error prone.

But yea, generally speaking a cc rally shot is a much safer shot than going down the line, b/c players are so fast these days and they can run those down and really hurt you if they get to it. Everyone seems to have some decent counterpunching ability

andy neyer
05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Soderling, Verdasco, Del Potro and Gonzalez all have better forehands than Nadal -- off clay, at least. And you're saying that Federer has pigeons? Federer?

I wouldn't say they have better forehands. Just different styles.

Nadal's forehand isn't pretty but it's very effective. The topspin he applies on the ball troubles most players and it's the main key to his success, imo.

Sophocles
05-28-2010, 04:58 PM
Hitting the ball wide to Federer's forehand side has long been a standard tactic against him, IF you can get a weak enough reply from his backhand, which Nadal can do routinely, but most players can't. In his prime, Fed would as often as not respond with a blistering cross-court forehand winner. Now, he loses the point 90% of the time. Just can't get there fast enough.

paseo
05-29-2010, 01:53 AM
rafael's forehand underwent a few changes with time.......he used to clock forehands at 150-170kmph consistently when he was 17, 18.......once he made his game spin oriented, pace was sacrificed for spins and angles on the court.......

look there's just no one on the tour that can produce the variety of forehands which rafa can.......these days he just doesn't choose to play like how he used to when he was 17.......he sacrificed some of his power for spin.......

who else can whip a ball 12 feet high and get it to dip right in at the very last moment? the curves and the angles.......he can also open up his shoulders and blast a few when needed......

Nadal's forehand is great & unique indeed, but it's not the best.

fran70
05-29-2010, 02:16 AM
Unfortunately some people will fall over you for this thread in a forum like this one... In my particular case I don`t agree with you. There are many players that have much better forehands and for instance Gonzalez or Verdasco are some of them. It`s only a matter of strategies if against some players it`s better to play to their forehand or backhand on some rallies. Federer is a great strategy player if you want to see a bit of it.

andy neyer
05-29-2010, 02:30 AM
Hitting the ball wide to Federer's forehand side has long been a standard tactic against him, IF you can get a weak enough reply from his backhand, which Nadal can do routinely, but most players can't. In his prime, Fed would as often as not respond with a blistering cross-court forehand winner. Now, he loses the point 90% of the time. Just can't get there fast enough.

That's very true and I agree in full to the point that I've nothing more to add without repeating what you said. As much as I like the guy, it's no secret that his footwork isn't what it used to be back in 2005-2006.

DwyaneWade
05-29-2010, 02:32 AM
That's very true and I agree in full to the point that I've nothing more to add without repeating what you said. As much as I like the guy, it's no secret that his footwork isn't what it used to be back in 2005-2006.

He was ridiculous on the run in 2004 and 2005, especially seen in his USO matches with Agassi and Hewitt :worship:

Start da Game
06-21-2010, 06:33 PM
once the serve is in and the rally begins, we have 2 or 3 shots exchanged between backhands, then a forehand and then again an event of backhand exchanges finally resulting in an error.......this has been the predominant pattern of tennis of late for many players........the role of forehand seems to have changed to an extent that players have almost forgotten the fact that forehands too can be attacked and it's all about opening up the court on either wing to win a point.......

allejandro falla's tactics against fed yesterday gives us something to think about today's tennis.......falla kept it simple yesterday, hit the ball where it was meant to be hit without any kind of negativity.......i mean to say he went after fed's forehand when he was supposed to, unlike the clowns who keep going to his backhand and play right into his hands even when there's a huge opening on his forehand.......why falla lost the match is another story but din't he trouble fed a lot in the first set? had it not been for his mental fragility, he would have pushed a player like fed to 4 sets minimum or even 5 sets on clay which is quite a big thing for him.......

forehand today is being used just to force the issue and players are relying more on their backhands to defend and attack as well.......falla proved yesterday that not only rafa but also fed struggles when you attack him on the forehand.......why is this so? rafa and fed are so used to receiving balls on the backhand that they are not being tested much on their forehands........once someone comes along and plays cleverly like falla, it's of no surprise that they both seem to struggle somewhat.......why they also succeed so much than the others is they realize this very thing and are not afraid of attacking players on their forehand when an opportunity presents.......rafael goes after djokovic's and murray's forehands and opens up the court beautifully.......

has tennis turned into a contest of backhands? yesterday when i caught some action, juan ignacio chela almost choked while hitting forehands and wasn't breathing out of fear until he got the ball back on his backhand, like if he had no trust in his forehand.......

are the players thinking too much along the lines of defensive tennis? why so much hesitance to go after the opponent's forehand even on a clear opening? is backhand starting to become the stronger shot of players today? rafa and fed who possess the best forehands by far on the tour can be excluded from this topic, it's mainly about the ones that are below them.......

bump.......

Start da Game
11-13-2010, 05:42 AM
when i watch matches these days of players other than nadal and federer, inherently i have a feeling that the point is safe when they are striking a backhand rather than a forehand.......wonder what's the reason but most players are not that confident on the forehand side.......murray and djokovic are choking like rats when they have to take a ball on the forehand in clutch situations.......forehand is supposed to be one's strength but how has backhand turned into the dependable one?

with nadal and fed, one can be sure that their forehands will miss rarely but i do not have the same feeling about the other players.......it looks like they are comfortable taking balls on their backhand........

Arkulari
11-13-2010, 06:02 AM
this is a power game, that's why one handed BHs are almost outdated and players feel more comfortable receiving powerful blows with their two handed backhands than with their FH, at least in defence and ROS

a lot of players on tour hit crazy FH nowadays, with tons of spin and power, so if you want to defend those kind of shots you either have to outhit the FH in a FH battle or defend as well as you can with your BH and hope for an opening or a UE

see Murray for example, he's a defensive player by nature, so he's better using his BH to keep the ball in play than outhitting someone with his FH

what I agree with you is that outside of Fedal, seems like very few players are willing to pull the trigger and attack with their FH, Del Potro is a rare case of a player that has the same kind of power in both FH and BH and can hit through almost anyone

Start da Game
11-13-2010, 06:07 AM
what I agree with you is that outside of Fedal, seems like very few players are willing to pull the trigger and attack with their FH, Del Potro is a rare case of a player that has the same kind of power in both FH and BH and can hit through almost anyone

agreed there and that's what i meant with that post, very few players are willing to impose themselves with their forehands.......i would like to see them do that more but their lack of confidence in that aspect amazes me........del potro's forehand was massive for sure.......

Topspindoctor
11-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Outside clay, Nadal's forehand doesn't even compare to Fed's. Fed's FH is being agrued as the best shot ever in tennis, while there are players right now that hit better FHs than Nadal. No, Nadal doesn't posses the best forehand by far on tour. But on clay, it's another story, though.

You don't know what you are talking about, Nadal has the best FH on the tour right now, on and off clay. Please actually watch tennis before offering your stupid opinion. Armchair analysts like you make me laugh.

Timariot
11-13-2010, 10:08 AM
It has always been same. One of the Jack Kramer's percentage tennis rules was "always hit important points to opponents backhand".

Start da Game
01-29-2011, 08:44 AM
It has always been same. One of the Jack Kramer's percentage tennis rules was "always hit important points to opponents backhand".

disagree.......players used to go for the lines more irrespective of which wing they were targeting, the game was not so spin oriented........

Start da Game
01-29-2011, 08:45 AM
how do you see the battle of backhands between the australian open 2011 finalists? two solid backhands in a head-on collision........

Arkulari
01-29-2011, 08:47 AM
Attacking BH vs Defending BH, should be interesting
Since I believe more in attack than in defense, then I have to give Nole the edge, specially because his FH is better than Murray's

Start da Game
01-29-2011, 08:50 AM
murray cannot attack with his forehand but he can attack with the backhand though.......that is the only attacking aspect of his whole game........in terms of power, djokovic leads for sure........