Oceanic Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Oceanic Tennis

Matchu
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Why is it that tennis in the oceanic region with the exception of Australia and New Zealand is pretty much ignored. Papua New Guinea has a population of more than 2 million more people than New Zealand and lots of the other islander nations are getting bigger in population. I know of two fairly big tennis tournaments in the Oceanic region outside of Australia and New Zealand.

The New Caledonian challenger and a B1 junior tournament in Fiji. Surely they could at least hold a few futures in those countries throughout the year, has there ever been a future tournament held in those islander nations?

What do you guys think? Is the market in those countries too small and just ignored? or is this done for some other reason?

tkr
05-27-2010, 10:53 AM
Why is it that tennis in the oceanic region with the exception of Australia and New Zealand is pretty much ignored. Papua New Guinea has a population of more than 2 million more people than New Zealand and lots of the other islander nations are getting bigger in population. I know of two fairly big tennis tournaments in the Oceanic region outside of Australia and New Zealand.

The New Caledonian challenger and a B1 junior tournament in Fiji. Surely they could at least hold a few futures in those countries throughout the year, has there ever been a future tournament held in those islander nations?

What do you guys think? Is the market in those countries too small and just ignored? or is this done for some other reason?

I think it's a deliberate attempt by Australia and NZ(hmm...do they get much attention??) to keep the foucus on themselves...

or...

countries that produces great players + have long traditions get more attention...

which one do you think it is??

Matchu
05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
I think it's a deliberate attempt by Australia and NZ(hmm...do they get much attention??) to keep the foucus on themselves...

or...

countries that produces great players + have long traditions get more attention...

which one do you think it is??

I suppose it is probably both, without a doubt Tennis Australia tries to keep the attention on them and New Zealand to an extent do as well but I just wonder if there was a proper Tennis Center set up in one of the islander nations and they applied for a ITF futures tournament, would the ITF give them one or just say your country doesn't deserve/need it.

jmf07
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
No money. Even if you did it is probable that they would change allegiances to the country where they are based so they could get some funding and access to better facilities. There isn't enough money and there is anywhere to really source it from.

I don't see how it would be a deliberate attempt by Australia and NZ's case. They would be huge beneficiaries if there was a talent base in the Oceanic region as they would offer significant sums of money to the young kids to come and train in Australia and many of whom would switch their allegiances to secure some funding instead of having to go it alone.

Zirconek
05-27-2010, 04:33 PM
Next week Guam will hold a futures tournament

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/tournaments/tournamentoverview.asp?tournament=1100021831

and Solomon Islands has a ranked player, Michael Leong.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=100046243

He plays Davis Cup under "Pacific Oceania" flag.

http://www.daviscup.com/teams/team.asp?btnStatus=submitted&team=POC

I remember some years ago some US futures were played in Pacific islands.