RG R2: Federer def. Falla 7-6(4) 6-2 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R2: Federer def. Falla 7-6(4) 6-2 6-4

samanosuke
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Solid match for Roger . First set was rusty but from then pretty good

Diprosalic
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Bad start from Federer but some good shots later. did what needed to be done.

Falla played well.

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Good workout for Fed. Federror in the first, Faila in the 2nd, cameo from GoodFed (not quite GodFed) in the 3rd. Falla played better than I thought he would. Tough draw for him.

Sillyrabbit
05-26-2010, 02:30 PM
Federer's backhand was a bit erratic in the first set. Welldone to Falla, he didn't get thrashed

habibko
saying Federror in the 1st doesn't give credit to the level Falla showed, it's not like Fed was shanking balls from the 2nd or 3rd shot of rallies, Falla's anticipation and movement were matching Fed from the baseline and he was reading Fed's serve and taking it early and returning really well, Fed picked it up by the end of the set and he took control from there on, well done :yeah:

dodo
What an errorfest from Fed in the first. Only managed to hold on to it with Falla choking a bit when serving for the set.
Interestingly, chose to return with topspin backhands mostly. Sign of things to come in the final?

Commander Data
05-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Solid.

Fed Express
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
Yep, first set was pretty bad with way too many UE. Probably the weather, conditions and opponent playing a factor there.

But after that first set he changed a couple of gears and played very well. So all in all no problems for Fed.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Rusty start from Federer in that 1st set, needed some time to adjust to the windy conditions - and playing a leftie, of course.
Credits to Falla who played very clean & tight in that 1st set, got 5 BPs but sorrily couldn't convert - apart from one. Feds took care to break back, nice wake-up call. At 6-6 I think Falla had made more points than Federer, however, Feds put things back to order in the TB, and from there on, the outcome was never-in-doubt.

In all a very nice practice session for Federer, playing a leftie stomping 'everything' to his BH, in these cold and windy conditions. Might well be just what he needed for later on in the tournament. :)

ossie
05-26-2010, 02:38 PM
its amazing how people were questioning feds form not 3 weeks ago

Johnny Groove
05-26-2010, 02:40 PM
What an errorfest from Fed in the first. Only managed to hold on to it with Falla choking a bit when serving for the set.
Interestingly, chose to return with topspin backhands mostly. Sign of things to come in the final?

He'll get worked if he does that.

He needs to mix in some slice returns if he wants to beat Nadal.

jonas
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Impressed by Falla's level of play.
Fed was okey.
At 5-6* in the first I predicted 7-6, 6-2, 6-3 for Fed. :lol:

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Impressed by Falla's level of play.
Fed was okey.
At 5-6* in the first I predicted 7-6, 6-2, 6-3 for Fed. :lol:

You were pretty close indeed. :hatoff:

ApproachShot
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Credit to Falla for his effort. He hits the ball pretty flat and was going for his shots - particularly off the Federer second serve.
Dropshot wasn't working that well for Fed earlier on but things were better in the final two sets. He'll be pleased to go through in straight sets.
The rain appeared to slow the court and lessen the bounce from the previous match but I'm not sure if that will make too much of a difference in the next few days.

Corey Feldman
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
done enough

fed's biggest nemesis today were those conditions

Fujee
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
NID, little shaky in the first, otherwise a good performance.

scarecrows
05-26-2010, 03:12 PM
i think Federer was using this match a lot to try many things on his BH, considering Falla is a lefty. He tried fast cross courts, low slices DTL and drop shots.
He's already thinking of Nadal

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Up and down a bit, but decent in general, what matters is he got the victory and got off the court before these latest rain delays and got a competitive but relatively quick match in with a good playing opponent.

Onwards and upwards for Fed.

Roamed
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Got a bit lucky with the first, did well considering the conditions. Couple of nice points in the third too. Did well to recover from 0-30 or 0-40 down in every service game in the second set without being broken :o

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
It was a good match from both. Federer played very good.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 03:47 PM
i think Federer was using this match a lot to try many things on his BH, considering Falla is a lefty. He tried fast cross courts, low slices DTL and drop shots.

I hope Nadal keep concentrating on every match alone but also know that Fed is trying every thing to beat him in RG :scared:

The Magician
05-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Not too good from Fed, but good enough. Some nice passing shots, hopefully Roger is peaking at the right time after playing a great 1st match. Go Fed :clap2:

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
I hope Nadal keep concentrating on every match alone but also know that Fed is trying every thing to beat him in RG :scared:
Nadal will hope it's Fed for sure. We know how the matchup works at RG. Fed always almost beats or beats Nadal in the events leading to RG. Then he loses in 3 or 4 sets at RG and complains about the ball bouncing too high. ;)

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 03:53 PM
Nadal will hope it's Fed for sure. We know how the matchup works at RG. Fed always almost beats or beats Nadal in the events leading to RG. Then he loses in 3 or 4 sets at RG and complains about the ball bouncing too high. ;)

Yeah but I feel Fed is so determined this time :unsure:

jaysean
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM

no one spins it like nadal, and nadals ball is loopy into federer's BH, so fed has too much time to think about it, fed likes the pace, rafa doesnt give that pace.
if its very hot, the ball bounces like crazy, those conditions are nadal's world.
the court speed becomes irrelevant when that happens unless ur very tall.

mina had trouble even with his Double handed BH, the ball was jumping so high it was incredible, nadal handles it because of that helicopter forehand and rafa always runs around his BH so the opponent cant really get it into nadals BH when they themselves have to hit the ball way above their head.

jaysean
05-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Yeah but I feel Fed is so determined this time :unsure:

so is nadal.
if there is one guy in the mens tour that dont fear federer, it is rafa nadal.

marcRD
05-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I was impressed by Falla, he really swings his raquet and play aggressive tennis without making unforced errors.

alter ego
05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
@Nadaltards, go fanboy Nadull on another topic this is about Roger's match against Falla.

Good game Roger. Falla played really well in the first set but it was never in doubt.

JediFed
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
We'll take it. Onto R3. Win number 41 at RG.

feuselino
05-26-2010, 06:50 PM
2 down, 5 to go!

Apemant
05-26-2010, 07:43 PM
no one spins it like nadal, and nadals ball is loopy into federer's BH, so fed has too much time to think about it, fed likes the pace, rafa doesnt give that pace.
if its very hot, the ball bounces like crazy, those conditions are nadal's world.
the court speed becomes irrelevant when that happens unless ur very tall.

mina had trouble even with his Double handed BH, the ball was jumping so high it was incredible, nadal handles it because of that helicopter forehand and rafa always runs around his BH so the opponent cant really get it into nadals BH when they themselves have to hit the ball way above their head.

Spot on, actually. :yeah: That's precisely the way it goes.

Forgive me for ... ahh some aesthetic snobism with regard to tennis as a whole - that something so simple, in essence, is enough to beat TMF almost every time. It somehow doesn't feel 'right' in my mind - it would be waaay better for tennis, if Fed somehow found a workaround for this Rafa-thing. This... obstacle. He came awfully close (game-wise) many times - but it was never quite enough.

Anyhow, life isn't fair. :devil:

ossie
05-26-2010, 07:50 PM
@Nadaltards, go fanboy Nadull on another topic this is about Roger's match against Falla.

Good game Roger. Falla played really well in the first set but it was never in doubt.you should see the trolls on rafas matches. first round match and 170 replies and counting :rolleyes:

FlameOn
05-26-2010, 10:27 PM
Even when Falla served for the opening set there was kind of a boring sense of inevitability about this one. :yawn:

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 10:28 PM

Good game Roger. Falla played really well in the first set but it was never in doubt.

I like both players. I just don't have enough space for another Fed fan in the signature.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 10:35 PM
I like both players. I just don't have enough space for another Fed fan in the signature.

:) that's nice. :hug:

octatennis
05-27-2010, 12:27 AM
falla was 4 points away to take a set from federer, i think that's enough for a colombian.

anyway he had a good attitude.

habibko
05-27-2010, 12:38 AM
falla was 4 points away to take a set from federer, i think that's enough for a colombian.

anyway he had a good attitude.

if memory serves me right, he was up *6-5 15-15, so he was 3 points away at that stage.

Apemant
05-27-2010, 01:03 AM
if memory serves me right, he was up *6-5 15-15, so he was 3 points away at that stage.

Nitpick. :devil:

Haelfix
05-27-2010, 02:07 AM
Good little player this guy Falla, he impressed me. He's extremely accurate with his groundstrokes, and he can take the ball early off his bh as well as having some good movement.

He lacks that one killer weapon to make it to the next level, but he's extremely solid.

Fed frankly looks about as good as he's going to get on clay. He played really well I thought after he lost his serve in the first set. A good mix of forehand aggression, some S/V, backhand is looking as good as i've ever seen it and of course the usual shotmaking that really sets him apart from other pros.

HarryMan
05-27-2010, 02:27 AM
I think the variety showed today should be enough for him to beat the rest of the field to reach the final this time. Keep going Roger. :sport:

octatennis
05-27-2010, 03:11 AM

just 3 points, i feel more proud now. :cool:

Smoke944
05-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Pretty good effort from Alejo :)

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
roger sweeping through the draw, keep it up :D