RG R2 : Cilic def. Gimeno-Traver 6-3 7-6(4) 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R2 : Cilic def. Gimeno-Traver 6-3 7-6(4) 6-2

Action Jackson
05-26-2010, 12:32 PM
Solid training for Cilic.

croat123
05-26-2010, 12:41 PM
better than the last round :) second set was a big battle
never broken :woohoo:

orangehat
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
Cilic in the first and second set was just :help::tape::help:

DGT was worse with all those bps :rolleyes:

daddy
05-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Conditions were slower today due to cold and rain but he did fine. Next round will be real test, Mayer is playing really well at the moment.

enigma
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
:angel:nice

Deathless Mortal
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
I couldn't see the match, but it seems like this one really was better than the first round match. Good luck in the 3rd round :yeah:

Fedicilous
05-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Cilić to win RG for sure.

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Better than Mello, not close to his best. I honestly think, if Mayer (whose leading right now) wins, he's going down. Hasn't shown me he can beat a high level clay court player like Mayer with his first two matches.

malisha
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
i think Benny wolud be a bigger threat than Mayer

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
i think Benny wolud be a bigger threat than Mayer
Julien brings consistency, movement, and ability to redirect shots/counter punch.

Mayer brings a big serve, big groundies, and ability to move Cilic around and take him out of his comfort zone of being on the offensive himself.

I think they would both be threats to beat Cilic, but I can easily see Mayer dictating rallies and winning most of them vs. Marin. A lot is going to come down to Mayer's return vs. Cilic's serve.

malisha
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
good points flyboy

yes he have 3:0 H2H against benny but all tight matches and never on clay, nor in France

Cilic is offesnive player yet hes a very good defender(for his height) and i think hes able to make Mayer going for one more shot...against Benny Marin wolud be a guy who dictates points and i think hes better when a power player is on the other side of the net

Mayer might be abit tired as well and Cilics fitness is solid

but it wont be easy against Leo thats for sure

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 02:21 PM
good points flyboy

yes he have 3:0 H2H against benny but all tight matches and never on clay, nor in France

Cilic is offesnive player yet hes a very good defender(for his height) and i think hes able to make Mayer going for one more shot...against Benny Marin wolud be a guy who dictates points and i think hes better when a power player is on the other side of the net

Mayer might be abit tired as well and Cilics fitness is solid

but it wont be easy against Leo thats for sure

Cilic is a good defensive player. He can rally pretty well in neutral/defensive positions, which IMO is one of his bigger strengths compared to players similar to him. It's going to be a lot harder for Leo to be offensive vs. Cilic than playing Benneteau, and also Leo struggles defensively so it could be an easier match for Marin, depending on how he plays himself and serves. If he doesn't serve well he's going to have problems. If he just allows Mayer to be offensive by not being forceful himself, he's going to have problems, too. But the pace of Mayer is definitely something Marin will like in that he wont have to create his own pace.

Marin is a better play by quite a lot than Leo but if Marin doesn't start playing better, Mayer, who seems to be on a hot streak, can upset him.

Deivid23
05-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Dani showed in those 2 first sets what his career is about. He just can´t take his chances bc he always gets too anxious and rushes it. None of them were playing close to his best stuff, but all big points were going to Cilic time and time again, who did nth special tbh. You´d better step it up against Mayer, Marin, you´ll certainly need it :o

Action Jackson
05-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Dani showed in those 2 first sets what his career is about. He just can´t take his chances bc he always gets too anxious and rushes it. None of them were playing close to his best stuff, but all big points were going to Cilic time and time again, who did nth special tbh. You´d better step it up against Mayer, Marin, you´ll certainly need it :o

Can't disagree with that summary. DGT played well in parts, but he just can't make that breakthrough and you know when it's close, he will shit himself.

vn01
05-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Well done Cilic.Keep going