FlameOn
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Nicely done. :worship:

Björki
05-26-2010, 11:24 AM
easy one :dance:

Fedicilous
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Dent is completely not adjusted to this kind of surface. The loss is heavy, but I prefer watching this great volleyer being crashed than watching wood players of current generation.

Loftra
1h11min

What's the record for the shortest best of five match, Voo?

xmakesmewonder
I don't know what that was, but dent didn't look ok.

navy75
05-26-2010, 11:29 AM
If the conditions stay the same as they are now I really like Robin's chances to take out Federer in the quarters. Robin has become such a beast, and I hope that he can continue his form in Paris.

Aenea
05-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Yesterday Mats Wilander said in his studio he was expecting Dent to bother Soderling with his gamestyle :rolleyes: What a great analyst this Wilander.
Soderling looks like being set to defend his RU points. Let's see how far he will go. I say QF at max as he doesn't have the guts to beat Fed should he face him in the quarters.
GL anyway with defending F.

Fedicilous
05-26-2010, 11:35 AM
If Federer plays normal tennis, he will end Soderking in 3 sets.
Another overreact.

navy75
05-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Yesterday Mats Wilander said in his studio he was expecting Dent to bother Soderling with his gamestyle :rolleyes: What a great analyst this Wilander.
Soderling looks like being set to defend his RU points. Let's see how far he will go. I say QF at max as he doesn't have the guts to beat Fed should he face him in the quarters.
GL anyway with defending F.

That's a fair point. Often times you see a player in another player's head, and Federer seems to have that kind of shadow over Soderling. In the past Robin hasn't even stayed as aggressive against Roger, so hopefully this year he can at least put the past behind him and just go for his shots if they meet in the QF.

TheWall
05-26-2010, 11:44 AM
That's a fair point. Often times you see a player in another player's head, and Federer seems to have that kind of shadow over Soderling. In the past Robin hasn't even stayed as aggressive against Roger, so hopefully this year he can at least put the past behind him and just go for his shots if they meet in the QF.

It's not like Söderling didn't try against Federer at the US Open, he was one point away to take him to 5. And this year he beat him, although only in an exho.

Diprosalic
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
such a shame that robin is not in rafas half.

SerenaFederer
05-26-2010, 11:55 AM
If the conditions stay the same as they are now I really like Robin's chances to take out Federer in the quarters. Robin has become such a beast, and I hope that he can continue his form in Paris.

conditions were the same in the final last year if you're referring to being cold, damp, rainy and heavy

good performance from soderling...hope he can keep it up

HarryMan
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
Excellent stuff, it is always a treat to watch him play when he is on. Montanes will be a tough opponent next round but Soderling should prevail in three sets.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
Didn't see it, but the scoreline indicates a true demolition :eek:. Apparently he's back-on-track. Well done, Soderking!
Of course, we have to take into account that Dent isn't at all a classic clay court player, so I think that expectations on Robin being able to take out the real Clay Court Top Dogs are a bit premature. We'll see, I wish him all the best of luck.

ChuckNorrisFan
05-26-2010, 12:04 PM
:eek::eek::eek:

jaysean
05-26-2010, 12:05 PM
soderling will NEVER beat federer in a grand slam match!

BOOK IT!

Aenea
05-26-2010, 12:06 PM

Oh yeah? And why is that a shame?

Halba
05-26-2010, 12:07 PM

BOOK IT!

agreed. it is tougher to beat fed in a slam, than nadal(if you are somebody other than rafa)

Guille.
05-26-2010, 12:09 PM
He's just playing great:D keep it up:)

Diprosalic
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
agreed. it is tougher to beat fed in a slam, than nadal(if you are somebody other than rafa)

well nadal can't beat him self. so "it is tougher to beat fed in a slam, than nadal" is correct.

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Oh yeah? And why is that a shame?

because soderling cant crush nadal now

jaysean
05-26-2010, 12:12 PM

exactly, that way rafa can take soderling to the cleaners.

The Magician
05-26-2010, 12:16 PM
The hatred of Soderking by Rafatards is sad to see :haha: Based on their respective forms Soderking would wipe Nadal off the court but we'll most likely not get to see that.

And Sod doesn't "roll over" for Federer, it's a bad matchup and even so he has challenged Federer quite a few times.

Aenea
05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

he wouldn't crush him even if he were in Rafa's half.
I really find it hard to understand how could you be carried away that much to believe that only because Soderling succeeded once in beating Nadal on clay he can do it again. Gulbis beat Fed once, fluke win I have to say, and we all know what happened when they played next time.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 12:19 PM

BOOK IT!

Yeah, just like he would NEVER beat Rafa, eh? :rolleyes:
Why not give Robin some credits, for once?

FlameOn
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
The hatred of Soderking by Rafatards is sad to see :haha: Based on their respective forms Soderking would wipe Nadal off the court but we'll most likely not get to see that.

And Sod doesn't "roll over" for Federer, it's a bad matchup and even so he has challenged Federer quite a few times.
Soderling VS Federer Wimbledon last year was a great match. It was only 3 sets but they were long sets. :D

jonas
05-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Hard to read too much into this match.
Dent was useless. Robin solid.
Next one against Montanes will show where he really stands.

The Magician
05-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I really find it hard to understand how could you be carried away that much to believe that only because Soderling succeeded once in beating Nadal on clay he can do it again. Gulbis beat Fed once, fluke win I have to say, and we all know what happened when they played next time.

Nadal has nothing to hurt Soderking with. His shots go right into Sod's hitting zone, his serves get eaten alive, and his ability to make you hit one more shot is irrelevant since every shot Soderking hits has enough power to be a winner. Swedish King has the game, the mentality, the confidence, and the coaching staff to own Nadal every time.

It really is a matchup issue Nadal has with big hitters with 2 handed BHs, but of course Nadal fans don't understand the mechanics of tennis. If they did they'd see Nadal is a moonballing clown and only wins GS because of Fedclown and his BH shank.

collo1978
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
long live the serve voller on clay ha

*Jean*
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Almost perfect. :D
Tough R3 in perspective against Montanes.

Persimmon
05-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Looking good.

jenanun
05-26-2010, 12:49 PM
federer is such a lucky guy so soderling will evaporate like gulbis tipsy lopez.... before he even got a chance to play fed

Ad Wim
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Very rare, a player gets 2 games in the 2nd round of a GS. Nadal can't even reach that.

enigma
05-26-2010, 01:03 PM

:rolleyes:

gusavo
05-26-2010, 01:12 PM

BOOK IT!
ok, what odds?

I really find it hard to understand how could you be carried away that much to believe that only because Soderling succeeded once in beating Nadal on clay he can do it again.
of course he can do it again, anyone can obviously

scarecrows
05-26-2010, 01:13 PM
1h11min

i think Courier won a match in less than 1 hour

jonas
05-26-2010, 01:15 PM
i think Courier won a match in less than 1 hour

Not bad. But who beats a set in 17 minutes at RG?

starluk
05-26-2010, 01:22 PM
great job!win it all Robin!

TheBoiledEgg
05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Dent on clay, like a fish out of water

a 10 yr old kid would have done better

the bigger question is how the F did Lapentti lose

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
This was just a pure mismatch in every sense of the word. Nothing Taylor did worked. He tried different things and it simply wasn't happening. Robin hit the ball really well, two very good performances from him so far. Let's see how he performs against a legitimate player in Montanes.

samanosuke
05-26-2010, 01:50 PM
And Wilander was talking about tricky match for Soderling

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 01:52 PM
And Wilander was talking about tricky match for SoderlingWell, to be fair, the conditions of today suited Soderling perfectly. Dent has a game that can trouble most players when he's playing well. But this is clay, so Wilander should have realized that, obviously.

Everko
05-26-2010, 01:57 PM
Well, to be fair, the conditions of today suited Soderling perfectly. Dent has a game that can trouble most players when he's playing well. But this is clay, so Wilander should have realized that, obviously.

Dent was pathetic that's it

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Dent was pathetic that's it

Yes.

Corey Feldman
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Soder - Nadal final is on

Sillyrabbit
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Really bad from Dent, he could have as well put a sign on his head that said "I'm here and ready to be bullied". He kept on hitting lame shots and pathetic slices. Credit to Soderling who well and truly gave it to him.

Against Federer? Soderling will take a set at most.

ZaZoo)
05-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I don't listen to Wilander ever since he predicted Fed beating Rafa in 2008 FO final anyway..

samanosuke
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM

+1

2moretogo
05-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Nice pretty routine win. Keep it going!!!

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Another lucky draw for Nadal.

Tutu
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
Nadal has nothing to hurt Soderking with. His shots go right into Sod's hitting zone, his serves get eaten alive, and his ability to make you hit one more shot is irrelevant since every shot Soderking hits has enough power to be a winner. Swedish King has the game, the mentality, the confidence, and the coaching staff to own Nadal every time.

It really is a matchup issue Nadal has with big hitters with 2 handed BHs, but of course Nadal fans don't understand the mechanics of tennis. If they did they'd see Nadal is a moonballing clown and only wins GS because of Fedclown and his BH shank.
Hm. You're an idiot and I hope you know that, a big one. That said, you are right about Rafael being a poor matchup on clay vs Soderling because of his reluctance to be as aggressive and indeed flat-hitter Soderling enjoying taking on shots from that height. I think a more aggressive Rafa on grass or even hardcourts would actually deal with Soderling much better.

SwedSerbia
05-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Saw the first 2 sets, and this was an easy and comfortable win. Bring on Montanes, and Robin will send him home with the first plane! :worship:

ossie
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM
what a legend this dent, this match really showed how the game has evolved and clowns like dent dont have shit on real tennis players

Jomp1
05-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Nice try Dent, too bad you couldn't even had hit a beachball today.

Andi-M
05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
If someone as agressive and errorprone as Sodaking can win a best of 5 match for the loss of only 2 games it should strike fear to the players in his quarter.

MrChopin
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM
Hm. You're an idiot and I hope you know that, a big one. That said, you are right about Rafael being a poor matchup on clay vs Soderling because of his reluctance to be as aggressive and indeed flat-hitter Soderling enjoying taking on shots from that height. I think a more aggressive Rafa on grass or even hardcourts would actually deal with Soderling much better.

Magician is spot on. You like the wta. End of conversation.

Filo V.
05-26-2010, 04:20 PM
2009 Rome: Nadal def. Soderling 6-1 6-0.

Until Soderling proves he can beat a healthy Nadal on clay, which he has failed to do (and if you say "RG 2009", you are an idiot and I will ignore it) then he won't be winning vs. Nadal.

Most of you are just petty Nadal haters and bandwagon Soderling fans anyway, who are delusional and desperate to see someone beat Nadal on clay because you would rather hate than celebrate his greatness.

I like Soderling but the fucking stupidity and ignorance of many of his fans on here turns me off of him sometimes. It's like you are always looking for trouble, like there is some fight between Soderling and Rafa. That's water under the bridge for the two players involved, so now it's time for the followers on both sides to be adults and get over yourselves.

Sorry, but Soderling is a lower class compared to Nadal and Federer. Time for people to stop pushing someone who has played 2 weak opponents and came into the tournament playing poorly. Wait until he at least PLAYS SOMEONE GOOD before acting as if "OMGZ, he's is going to win the tournament!!!!11!!!!"

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 04:23 PM
I am sure Fed will beat Sod if they meat. Sod plays the same game but he can't outplay Fed.

edit: Really Fed and Rafa fans should stop fighting in every thread.

jaysean
05-26-2010, 04:28 PM

soderling will never beat federer in a slam, federer can handle soderling unlike rafa.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
soderling will never beat federer in a slam, federer can handle soderling unlike rafa.

You are right Federer can handle Sod easy any time, but I also don't think that Sod will ever beat Rafa again. :devil:

jaysean
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
nadal can manhandle soderling now.
but soderling aint getting past the fedexpress.
no way jose.

so rafa wont be able to humiliate soderling.

jaysean
05-26-2010, 04:35 PM
soderling is too soft to beat federer, he respects federer too much, much like the spaniards respecting rafa too much.
federer is a lock in the final, now way he loses before the final. its impossible to beat him in best of 5 for other players.

oranges
05-26-2010, 04:36 PM
Poor Taylor, what a drubbing :awww: He needed nice weather and a faster court for a more decent showing

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 04:41 PM
It's the opposite. Soderling would want to play Fed on a hot and dry day. Soderling prefers the ball up higher while Fed likes the ball lower. And Soderling's serve needs to be more effective.

The Magician
05-26-2010, 04:44 PM
2009 Rome: Nadal def. Soderling 6-1 6-0.

Until Soderling proves he can beat a healthy Nadal on clay, which he has failed to do (and if you say "RG 2009", you are an idiot and I will ignore it) then he won't be winning vs. Nadal.

Most of you are just petty Nadal haters and bandwagon Soderling fans anyway, who are delusional and desperate to see someone beat Nadal on clay because you would rather hate than celebrate his greatness.

I like Soderling but the fucking stupidity and ignorance of many of his fans on here turns me off of him sometimes. It's like you are always looking for trouble, like there is some fight between Soderling and Rafa. That's water under the bridge for the two players involved, so now it's time for the followers on both sides to be adults and get over yourselves.

Sorry, but Soderling is a lower class compared to Nadal and Federer. Time for people to stop pushing someone who has played 2 weak opponents and came into the tournament playing poorly. Wait until he at least PLAYS SOMEONE GOOD before acting as if "OMGZ, he's is going to win the tournament!!!!11!!!!"

I know it's been a year since they played which is more than enough time for Nadulltards to convince themselves Nadal was injured at RG, so here's the match again:

a43Q22VDP_U

Where exactly is Nadal injured? All I see is an overpowering Soderling with much improved volleys, mental strength, and competitive fire. Must have missed it :wavey:

paseo
05-26-2010, 04:46 PM
Too good, this Soderling. Too bad he's not in Nadal's quarter. Cause Fed's gonna try make him play bad, while Nadal will challenge him to play great.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 04:48 PM
Okay Nadal wasn't injured.

Guys, stop fighting over the past.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Okay Nadal wasn't injured.

Guys, stop fighting over the past.
But he was. Tendinitis is something you can still play with if you take anti-inflammatories. You just can't be as explosive. Here is the video showing Nadal's limping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNNaRvjc9zk Check at 4:07.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-26-2010, 04:57 PM
But he was. Tendinitis is something you can still play with if you take anti-inflammatories. You just can't be as explosive. Here is the video showing Nadal's limping. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNNaRvjc9zk Check at 4:07.

It is not important now if he was or wasn't, So no need to fight with other fans.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
It is not important now if he was or wasn't, So no need to fight with other fans.
Just telling it like it is. It's ridiculous for anyone to deny that Nadal wasn't 100%. That is why he skipped Queens and Wimbledon. It was a long term injury that needed a couple months to fully heal .

Bobby
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Just telling it like it is. It's ridiculous for anyone to deny that Nadal wasn't 100%. That is why he skipped Queens and Wimbledon. It was a long term injury that needed a couple months to fully heal .

It would be a good idea to fast forward to 2010, it's already May now.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
It would be a good idea to fast forward to 2010, it's already May now.
Yes and Nadal is fully fit now. ;)

Sauletekis
05-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Very good but easy win. With these game i can't see the real shape of Robin cause Dent wasn't really a serious test.

But anyway, good to see Soderling doing well, and hope he beat Rogie in QF...

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I know it's been a year since they played which is more than enough time for Nadulltards to convince themselves Nadal was injured at RG, so here's the match again:

a43Q22VDP_U

Where exactly is Nadal injured? All I see is an overpowering Soderling with much improved volleys, mental strength, and competitive fire. Must have missed it :wavey:

Yes it was glorious stuff. Add in improved movement as well, & an unerring sense for when to pull the trigger. Beggars belief how hard & flat Sod was able to hit the ball, & how close to the lines. Kept Nadal under constant pressure, pinned behind the baseline, & even managed to break down his defensive backhand, normally the most solid shot in the game. That's what it takes to beat Nadal at R.G.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes it was glorious stuff. Add in improved movement as well, & an unerring sense for when to pull the trigger. Beggars belief how hard & flat Sod was able to hit the ball, & how close to the lines. Kept Nadal under constant pressure, pinned behind the baseline, & even managed to break down his defensive backhand, normally the most solid shot in the game. That's what it takes to beat Nadal at R.G.
That's the best strategy but he won't be able to do it again. :devil:

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM
That's the best strategy but he won't be able to do it again. :devil:

Maybe not at R.G., but I'd favour him to win on any other surface.

Beat
05-26-2010, 05:29 PM

:rolls: he really does a great job :help:

green25814
05-26-2010, 05:32 PM
Did Dent look like he was injured at all?

I'm hoping he can be at peak condition for Wimbledon.

Nathaliia
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, Robin peaks at RG it seems. No brainfarts, strong motivation... He might take Fed out this year.

M4RC
05-26-2010, 05:45 PM

:bigcry: :haha: Stupidity at its best.

JediFed
05-26-2010, 05:59 PM
"The hatred of Soderking by Rafatards is sad to see"

I personally find it hilarious.

Sodaking vs Nadal is one of the best matches of the decade.

Jomp1
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Did Dent look like he was injured at all?

I'm hoping he can be at peak condition for Wimbledon.

Didn't look like it, he just played awful. Very windy, both struggled with many double-faults especially Dent. He was frustrated from the start, and had a ball violation warning in the 4th game I think. Robin's baseline hitting was too much for Dent to get to the net and he missed pretty much every shot he went for when he finally got the chance. He had absolute nothing in most return games, his points were pretty much solely UE's from Robin in those.

Bagelicious
05-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the analysis Joe89

Ouch, what a result! I have to say that these early round results are looking very WTA-ish this RG.

Certinfy
05-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Did Dent hit an 149mph serve today? Or was that in his last match?

DrJules
05-26-2010, 10:09 PM

a43Q22VDP_U

Dedicated to Start da Game, SetSampras and Froghop.:worship:

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
Soderking was absolutely awesome in this match. Nadal and Uncle Toni have had a very lucky escape here.

ossie
05-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Soderking was absolutely awesome in this match. Nadal and Uncle Toni have had a very lucky escape here.if hes that good surely he can make it so far to face nadal :rolleyes:

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 10:34 PM
if hes that good surely he can make it so far to face nadal :rolleyes:

It's his bad luck that he'll first have to make it past Federer. ;)

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-26-2010, 10:41 PM
It would have been great to see a rematch between Soderking and Nadal. Not just because I want Nadal to be taken out so he can't beat Federer in the final. I actually don't want that to happen as everyone will just whine on about "another tainted RG title." I'd like to see a rematch because it would be a very interesting game. Soderking has such punishing groundstrokes that Nadal would hardly have an easy time of it.

andylovesaustin
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Congrats to Sodapop.

Wow.. poor Taylor.

Is Isner still in it?

Mjau!
05-26-2010, 10:52 PM

The spartan king would never let a minor complaint like tendonitis hinder him. He was moving just fine.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Is Isner still in it?

Isner lost the first set to Chiudinelli, and is 5-5 in the second. To be continued tomorrow.

andylovesaustin
05-26-2010, 11:08 PM
Isner lost the first set to Chiudinelli, and is 5-5 in the second. To be continued tomorrow.

Thanks. I was looking to see if I could find any results.

I figured it had be postponed to finish tomorrow.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 11:09 PM
The spartan king would never let a minor complaint like tendonitis hinder him. He was moving just fine.
Anything that takes a couple months to heal is not minor. And like I said. You could visibly see Nadal limping in the 4th set.

SectionX
05-26-2010, 11:09 PM
yeah it is always the other player who is injured when soderling beats someone :rolleyes:

stop with the stupid excuses.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 11:10 PM
yeah it is always the other player who is injured when soderling beats someone :rolleyes:

stop with the stupid excuses.
It's not an excuse if it is true.

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Anything that takes a couple months to heal is not minor. And like I said. You could visibly see Nadal limping in the 4th set.

That's because Soderling had made him run so much.

SectionX
05-26-2010, 11:13 PM

you know what, soderling played with a bad elbow last year, I dont see anyone making excuses for him like that. Also didn't he defeat Nadal in ATP World Tour Finals 2009 also?

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 11:16 PM

It might be a good thing to realize that about ALL players play with certain physical adversities most of the time. Even Federer has recently said in an interview that he plays with pain about 80% of the time.
Yes, players limp at times. They also grab at their legs, ankles, backs, show signs of heavy breathing, exhaustion, etc. ALL of them.

Point is, when you come out on court, you are ready to play. Söderling was the better player there, whatever was bothering Nadal. Just like Murray and Djokovic both were the better player and deserved their victory when they beat Federer at respectively the AO 2007 and WTF 2008.

It's called giving credits where they are due.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 11:19 PM
you know what, soderling played with a bad elbow last year, I dont see anyone making excuses for him like that. Also didn't he defeat Nadal in ATP World Tour Finals 2009 also?
That was a low bouncing indoor hardcourt tournament. Soderling is expected to win there. Nadal's tendinitis was real bad after his match with Djokovic in Madrid. He even lost a set in his warmup to somebody unknown. 7-5. He struggled badly in first round. I guess he wasn't terrible at the time but he definitely needed a long rest as the problem would get worse over time if no rest.

Topspin Forehand
05-26-2010, 11:22 PM
It might be a good thing to realize that about ALL players play with certain physical adversities most of the time. Even Federer has recently said in an interview that he plays with pain about 80% of the time.
Yes, players limp at times. They also grab at their legs, ankles, backs, show signs of heavy breathing, exhaustion, etc. ALL of them.

Point is, when you come out on court, you are ready to play. Söderling was the better player there, whatever was bothering Nadal. Just like Murray and Djokovic both were the better player and deserved their victory when they beat Federer at respectively the AO 2007 and WTF 2008.

It's called giving credits where they are due.
Playing with pain and playing injured are 2 different things. Pain allows you to keep playing but injured is something you need to take a long time off.

SectionX
05-26-2010, 11:28 PM
That was a low bouncing indoor hardcourt tournament. Soderling is expected to win there. Nadal's tendinitis was real bad after his match with Djokovic in Madrid. He even lost a set in his warmup to somebody unknown. 7-5. He struggled badly in first round. I guess he wasn't terrible at the time but he definitely needed a long rest as the problem would get worse over time if no rest.

get over it, soderling was just playing better than nadal at last years french open.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 11:29 PM
Playing with pain and playing injured are 2 different things. Pain allows you to keep playing but injured is something you need to take a long time off.

Playing with pain is an indication of something being wrong, and like I said, it happens to almost all players most of the time. That's why intelligent scheduling and taking time off when it's necessary is as important as it is.
Nadal didn't show any problems in the previous three matches he played at RG last year. If he was seriously injured at the time he met Söderling, he should have withdrawn. It's as easy as that.

The only thing I try to explain to you, is that Nadal isn't the only one suffering from this kind of adversities. I've never seen you 'explain' any of the other players' losses because of this (including Söderling's less optimal runs at tournaments earlier this year), and it smells 'fanboyism' to me.

dombrfc
05-26-2010, 11:31 PM
get over it, soderling was just playing better than nadal at last years french open.

well said!

Fed=ATPTourkilla
05-26-2010, 11:35 PM
I don't think there was much physically wrong with Nadal in that match. The result was attributable to Soderling's incredible power hitting, not Nadal playing badly. Ballbashers do have 'on' days when everything goes in, and they are very difficult to stop on those days (as well as days when nothing works for them).

However, I do think Nadal was psychologically exhausted after overplaying earlier in the year, and was probably carrying niggling injuries as well (although I don't think his movement was hampered).

JediFed
05-26-2010, 11:39 PM
Nadal just got beaten by an amazing performance. It isn't like Soda beat nadal in the 4th round and then got bounced, he made it all the way to the final.

I see nothing to indicate that it was fluke either. Soderling had given Nadal trouble before.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 11:46 PM
The one big thing I can't understand is why so many Nadal fans seem to try to do their utmost best to 'prove' that his loss to Söderling was just a 'fluke'.

Might just be me, but I rather see my favourites lose to a solid player than to a 'fluke'. :scratch:

Söderling IS a solid Top 10-player right now, and I won't at all be surprised to see him give Federer a run for his money at this RG just the same, if they happen to meet.
Should that happen, may the best of them win. ;)

Chiakifug
05-26-2010, 11:50 PM
The one big thing I can't understand is why so many Nadal fans seem to try to do their utmost best to 'prove' that his loss to Söderling was just a 'fluke'.

Might just be me, but I rather see my favourites lose to a solid player than to a 'fluke'. :scratch:

Söderling IS a solid Top 10-player right now, and I won't at all be surprised to see him give Federer a run for his money at this RG just the same, if they happen to meet.
Should that happen, may the best of them win. ;)

Its funny, they must done it in every single one of Soderlings results threads since May 2009... But they still havent convinced anyone I suppose with their GOATy arguments.

r2473
05-26-2010, 11:54 PM
How did Dent manage to win 2 games? Must have been his serve.

Sunset of Age
05-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Its funny, they must done it in every single one of Soderlings results threads since May 2009... But they still havent convinced anyone I suppose with their GOATy arguments.

Whatever, I think Nadal is just an awesome player (apart from a great guy), and surely in the run for GOAT discussions - as soon as he manages to gather 6+ RG titles, or 10+ GS titles on the whole, and I happen to believe that he will!

Point still stands, is it better to lose to a 'fluke' or to a solid Top-10 player?
I think I know where my vote goes. ;)

Oops, I'm entering the Realm of FrogLogic right now. :o :o :o

Topspin Forehand
05-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Playing with pain is an indication of something being wrong, and like I said, it happens to almost all players most of the time. That's why intelligent scheduling and taking time off when it's necessary is as important as it is.
Nadal didn't show any problems in the previous three matches he played at RG last year. If he was seriously injured at the time he met Söderling, he should have withdrawn. It's as easy as that.

The only thing I try to explain to you, is that Nadal isn't the only one suffering from this kind of adversities. I've never seen you 'explain' any of the other players' losses because of this (including Söderling's less optimal runs at tournaments earlier this year), and it smells 'fanboyism' to me.
It isn't as easy as that. Nadal relies on RG more than any other slam. It is devastating if he put all that effort in throughout the year only to be injured in the slam you most likely will win. But it's a new year and there is no excuse from what I've seen as Nadal looks 100%. Btw I'm not saying Soderling didn't deserve that win as he was playing that well. Just that Soderling won't do it again this year to the GOAT on clay. ;)

Sunset of Age
05-27-2010, 12:30 AM
It isn't as easy as that. Nadal relies on RG more than any other slam. It is devastating if he put all that effort in throughout the year only to be injured in the slam you most likely will win.

Of course. RG has been Rafa's 'lock-in' slam to win for the past 5 years (just like Wimbledon was/still is for Roger), and of course it is a major blow if you don't manage because of an injury (or rather, a physical adversity, as I'd like to call it. ;)) - but that's one of the many harsh adversities players are forced to deal with. Bad luck!
Once again, being a 'lock in' because of media hyping won't ever guarantee a player to indeed win it. It's bloody hard to win a slam, let alone the numbers that Rafa & Roger have managed to rack up by now. I believe quite a lot of folks don't realize this. ;)

But it's a new year and there is no excuse from what I've seen as Nadal looks 100%. Btw I'm not saying Soderling didn't deserve that win as he was playing that well. Just that Soderling won't do it again this year to the GOAT on clay. ;)

:) - in all honesty, I haven't yet seen Rafa play as well as in 2008 as of yet, when he was just immaculate on the clay - but he's surely the major candidate to rack up the title again - at least to me. :D

paseo
05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
It isn't as easy as that. Nadal relies on RG more than any other slam. It is devastating if he put all that effort in throughout the year only to be injured in the slam you most likely will win. But it's a new year and there is no excuse from what I've seen as Nadal looks 100%. Btw I'm not saying Soderling didn't deserve that win as he was playing that well. Just that Soderling won't do it again this year to the GOAT on clay. ;)

If Soderling put up the same performance as he did last year, there's a very good chance he'll beat Nadal again (Yes, even the 100% version). But, it's no use talking about this, as they won't meet here this year.

jaysean
05-27-2010, 02:07 AM
no need to talk about soderling making the final, soderling is not beating federer.
federer's grand slam final streak will never end, neither will his semis streak.
anyone that wants to win slams will have to beat federer in the final.
and federer aint retiring until he is like 36 years old.

andy neyer
05-27-2010, 02:43 AM
no need to talk about soderling making the final, soderling is not beating federer.
federer's grand slam final streak will never end, neither will his semis streak.
anyone that wants to win slams will have to beat federer in the final.
and federer aint retiring until he is like 36 years old.

:lol:

Anyway I want Soda to beat Federer and go all the way to the final. I know Feddie is too much of a clown to beat Nadal on clay so Soda will have to get the job done again.

VolandriFan
05-27-2010, 02:49 AM
Oh dear, Nicolas.

Dmitry Verdasco
05-27-2010, 05:27 AM
It was 2-1 in Venus-Parra Santonja when they crossed over to show the end of the first set in this match :spit:

Guy Haines
05-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Dent = Clay GoAT

Rafa = Fed Killa
05-27-2010, 07:08 AM
RG 2010 QF:

Soderclown on his knees getting beat by the crying girl Fed.

NID

Audacity
05-27-2010, 07:52 AM
Dent never should have made it to the second round.

-Valhalla-
05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
I didn’t expect this scoreline. If Sods continues to build confidence and improve form, Fed will have his hands full in the quarters. Sods loves his role as spoiler/villain and could very well stretch Fed to five.

It should be a barnburner :drink:

Another lucky draw for Nadal.

This Nadal is really eating away at you, huh? :lol:

Sophocles
05-27-2010, 10:20 AM

You tell 'im.

Sophocles
05-27-2010, 10:25 AM
I didn’t expect this scoreline. If Sods continues to build confidence and improve form, Fed will have his hands full in the quarters. Sods loves his role as spoiler/villain and could very well stretch Fed to five.

It should be a barnburner :drink:

This Nadal is really eating away at you, huh? :lol:

I think Soderling is a serious threat to Fed. He's already lost to Berdych & Baghdatis this year ffs, & he doesn't defend as well against ball-bashers as he used to.

As for the 2nd point, yeah, he is. I don't know how I keep it together, I really don't. I'm THIS close to getting sectioned.

-Valhalla-
05-27-2010, 10:37 AM
I think Soderling is a serious threat to Fed. He's already lost to Berdych & Baghdatis this year ffs, & he doesn't defend as well against ball-bashers as he used to.

As for the 2nd point, yeah, he is. I don't know how I keep it together, I really don't. I'm THIS close to getting sectioned.

I hope Cilic doesn't throw a monkey wrench in the Fed-Sod QF. I think Sods will need to take care of him in 3 or 4 for any chance of the Fed match to be competitive ... and interestingly, Sods and Cilic have never faced each other.

Adri89
05-27-2010, 11:05 AM
1h11min

For Roland Garros I know that the record for the shortest best of five is Bruguera defeating Champion in 93 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 in 60 minutes.

Not sure it is the fastest three-setters in history tough. Probably a match was faster at Wimbledon.

Sophocles
05-27-2010, 11:08 AM
I hope Cilic doesn't throw a monkey wrench in the Fed-Sod QF. I think Sods will need to take care of him in 3 or 4 for any chance of the Fed match to be competitive ... and interestingly, Sods and Cilic have never faced each other.

Yes, whoever wins Cilic-Sod, if it's a gruelling 5-setter he should be easy pickings for Fed in the next round. If either plays well enough to win in 3, though, he will be a handful for Fed.

paseo
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM

Soderling will lose to Montanes. And so will Cilic.

gusavo
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
LOLL, ANYONE can beat nadal on clay, theres NO proving to be done. what is wrong with you people and why do you keep coming up with these insane, stupid comments

Once again, being a 'lock in' because of media hyping won't ever guarantee a player to indeed win it. It's bloody hard to win a slam, let alone the numbers that Rafa & Roger have managed to rack up by now.
its very easy for nadal to win rg, just about how easy it has ever been to win a grand slam, and should be by a fair bit the easiest tournament for him to win providing the same player pool.

Start da Game
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM

bear in mind that you are talking to someone who never held a tennis racket but is preaching others about injuries and withdrawals of players in tennis.......it's just sad to all nadal fans in this forum that we have a few here who try to elevate fed by self-declaring themselves as "fedal" fans and keep talking down nadal 24/7 in comparison to fed......by doing so, they feel satisfied and somewhat relieved from the constant headache rafa gives them by pummeling their sweetheart over and over.......it's just a clever way of rafa-hating, to avoid being hunted later on by nadal fans for hating rafa.......

even a casual follower of the sport would be able to notice the drastic difference in movement and clear signs of knee pain which nadal went through that day in FO 2009.......he could hardly put any weight on his knee that day and just noticing his serve itself should open up anyone's eyes.......people with doubts should re-watch the match.......

nadal gave soderling's tennis life some meaning by not retiring mid way through the match.......the match was over by the end of 2nd set when he held his knee a couple of times in pain.......soda is lucky not to have fallen in rafa's half this year.......he can boast about his 2009 victory and continue fooling his clown(fake) fans aka rafahaters for one more year.......

Start da Game
05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
RG 2010 QF:

Soderclown on his knees getting beat by the crying girl Fed.

NID

no doubt.......

Sillyrabbit
05-27-2010, 03:41 PM

You can't really say that though, that he could "just withdraw", we've seen players like Djokovic criticized for not showing enough bottle or not being tough when they've chosen to opt out of matches

Orka_n
05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
You can't really say that though, that he could "just withdraw", we've seen players like Djokovic criticized for not showing enough bottle or not being tough when they've chosen to opt out of matchesYou're talking nonsense. If Nadal really had an injury so serious that he was limping at RG09, he WOULD have withdrawn. Nadal showed what kind of "spartan" he is at this year's AO, simply retiring when he was about to be crushed by Murray. Sure, Nadal might have been in pain in Paris last year. But he lost that day because the other guy was playing much better than him, simple as that.
I like Soderling but the fucking stupidity and ignorance of many of his fans on here turns me off of him sometimes.The dumbest people on MTF (with regards to the avarage IQ and the ability to be objective) are the Nadalfans. This is not even close. Seriously, ask anybody here who is neutral and they'll confirm that. A few Rafafans are sensible (Bonnie, Arkulari and a few more)... but most of them are just nuts, sadly.

Also, Robin has to get to the QF first, but if he does, then I think he has a shot against Federer. That match I really wanna see.

Sillyrabbit
05-27-2010, 07:37 PM
You're talking nonsense. If Nadal really had an injury so serious that he was limping at RG09, he WOULD have withdrawn. Nadal showed what kind of "spartan" he is at this year's AO, simply retiring when he was about to be crushed by Murray. Sure, Nadal might have been in pain in Paris last year. But he lost that day because the other guy was playing much better than him, simple as that.

And where did anyone deny that?? PS: the reply you quoted wasn't even about Nadal precisely, but about the attitude of people in general to anyone who withdraws from matches which was why I cited Djokovic as an example. Get over yourself, not everyone in here is trying to attack your precious little Swede and his win over Nadal. Insecure much? :rolleyes:

Sophocles
05-27-2010, 07:46 PM
The dumbest people on MTF (with regards to the avarage IQ and the ability to be objective) are the Nadalfans. This is not even close. Seriously, ask anybody here who is neutral and they'll confirm that. A few Rafafans are sensible (Bonnie, Arkulari and a few more)... but most of them are just nuts, sadly.

Sadly true, though we have to distinguish between fans & tards. The out-&-out Rafatards - mostly either deluded prepubescent fangirls with no interest in tennis, or bitter envious Federer-haters, often with a Sampras fetish - are the most stupid & unpleasant group of people I have ever encountered, anywhere. The genuine fans - people who for some reason genuinely enjoy watching Nadal play - are fine.

slicekick
05-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Sadly true, though we have to distinguish between fans & tards. The out-&-out Rafatards - mostly either deluded prepubescent fangirls with no interest in tennis, or bitter envious Federer-haters, often with a Sampras fetish - are the most stupid & unpleasant group of people I have ever encountered, anywhere. The genuine fans - people who for some reason genuinely enjoy watching Nadal play - are fine.

+1000 coudn't agree more well said:yeah:

Guy Haines
05-27-2010, 08:07 PM

Condescending and false.

Honestly, there are fans of all stripes.

For every bitter Nadal tard in this thread there's a bitter Federer/Soderling one.

I love it that the Nadal fans you deign to list as "sensible" are also Federer fans who in some cases seem to prefer Federer.

Orka_n do you have an IQ barometer implanted in your mind? The Swedish flag on your profile makes your scientific findings on Nadal fans' intelligence a little suspect.

I don't know why some Nadal fans continue to go on about injury at Roland Garros last year. Rafa's game is what it is when he plays. Fitness is a major component. He lost to Soderling. Accept it and get over it for chrissake.

Soderling's first two rounds here are hilarious. He couldn't have asked for better gifts after sucking so much going in. If he and Federer have a date, may the best man on the day win.

Orka_n
05-27-2010, 08:54 PM
And where did anyone deny that??Where, you ask? Can you even read? This is quotes from this thread alone:

nadal gave soderling's tennis life some meaning by not retiring mid way through the match.......the match was over by the end of 2nd set when he held his knee a couple of times in pain.......soda is lucky not to have fallen in rafa's half this year.......he can boast about his 2009 victory and continue fooling his clown(fake) fans aka rafahaters for one more year.......
You are right Federer can handle Sod easy any time, but I also don't think that Sod will ever beat Rafa again. :devil:

Let me educate you: this whole forum is full with this kind of bullshit.

PS: the reply you quoted wasn't even about Nadal precisely, but about the attitude of people in general to anyone who withdraws from matches which was why I cited Djokovic as an example.That's not even true. :lol: Let's see what you wrote:
You can't really say that though, that he could "just withdraw", we've seen players like Djokovic criticized for not showing enough bottle or not being tough when they've chosen to opt out of matchesThat bolded "he" refers to Nadal. You said that Nadal couldn't just withdraw because he could be criticized for it. (Lamest argument ever, by the way.)
What I did then was to point out that Nadal actually has withdrawn from a slam match.

Get over yourself, not everyone in here is trying to attack your precious little Swede and his win over Nadal. Insecure much? :rolleyes:Stop thinking you are smarter than me when you are clearly not.

Orka_n
05-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Orka_n do you have an IQ barometer implanted in your mind? The Swedish flag on your profile makes your scientific findings on Nadal fans' intelligence a little suspect.Fair enough. But I don't need an IQ-meter in my mind. I've had countless discussions with different kinds of people here on MTF. Those who refuse to see reason and choose to ignore logic, most of them are fans of Nadal. It's that simple.
Sadly true, though we have to distinguish between fans & tards. The out-&-out Rafatards - mostly either deluded prepubescent fangirls with no interest in tennis, or bitter envious Federer-haters, often with a Sampras fetish - are the most stupid & unpleasant group of people I have ever encountered, anywhere. The genuine fans - people who for some reason genuinely enjoy watching Nadal play - are fine.I agree completely.

Sillyrabbit
05-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Where, you ask? Can you even read? This is quotes from this thread alone:
Sorry that was my mistake, It should have read why did "I" deny that because I thought that part too was replying to my post.

Let me educate you: this whole forum is full with this kind of bullshit.

Errr, after reading your posts, thanks but no thanks, you can start with yourself though :)

That's not even true. :lol: Let's see what you wrote:
That bolded "he" refers to Nadal. You said that Nadal couldn't just withdraw because he could be criticized for it. (Lamest argument ever, by the way.)
What I did then was to point out that Nadal actually has withdrawn from a slam match.

Stop thinking you are smarter than me when you are clearly not.

Well that might be the highlight of your life and something you look forward to doing, proving you're smarter than someone on the internet, but sorry to disappoint you, it's not the same with me, so no I'm not trying to be smarter than anyone(goodluck with it if you are), just trying to discuss opinions and arguments in a cool, friendly way.
And on the withdrawal part, yes, but I wasn't referring to Nadal alone in the context of the Soderling match, but withdrawals in general, most people will prefer players to see out matches than withdraw. "Lamest argument ever", that's all your have, brilliant, you've surely convinced me there.

Sophocles
05-27-2010, 10:01 PM
Condescending and false.

Honestly, there are fans of all stripes.

For every bitter Nadal tard in this thread there's a bitter Federer/Soderling one.

No doubt, but what sets Nadaltards apart is the ferocity & range of their hatred. Fedtards, by & large, hate Nadal. Nadaltards hate Federer, Soderling, Tsonga, Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray, the French, the whole of the rest of the ATP, especially anybody who has ever beaten Nadal, the rich, the well-educated, you name it. It's breathtaking.

Guy Haines
05-28-2010, 08:34 AM
No doubt, but what sets Nadaltards apart is the ferocity & range of their hatred. Fedtards, by & large, hate Nadal. Nadaltards hate Federer, Soderling, Tsonga, Del Potro, Djokovic, Murray, the French, the whole of the rest of the ATP, especially anybody who has ever beaten Nadal, the rich, the well-educated, you name it. It's breathtaking.

More sweeping generalizations.

You could just as easily say Fedtards have snotty disdain for all players except those who beat Nadal, and view Federer's victories as proof of their unassailable superior taste and viewpoints.

Nothing sets Nadaltards apart. You just notice them more because you prefer Federer. You should have been on this board when Nadal beat Federer at Wimbledon and witnessed the volcanic hate that generated. Petitions to speed up the grass, nicknames galore.

What the hell, let's click off my feelings on your list: Federer -- ranges from meh to great admiration to how smarmy; Soderling -- never liked him, still don't, tho he seems like less of a jerk since he beat Nadal; Tsonga -- loved him before and during his AO ascent, slowly soured on him since, and think he's a showboat who can't back up his big mouth; Del Potro -- fantastic talent, seems sweet, I'm really bummed he's off the tour; Djokovic -- disappointed, feel like certain defeats and crowd reactions really sucked his essence out of him; Murray -- never been a fan of him as a player though I like him quite a bit in interviews, starting to seriously doubt he'll ever have the mental wherewithal to win a major; the rest of the ATP -- a good cast of characters, but too much bashing and not enough variety.

Can you feel the hate just dripping off this post?

Sophocles
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
More sweeping generalizations.

You could just as easily say Fedtards have snotty disdain for all players except those who beat Nadal, and view Federer's victories as proof of their unassailable superior taste and viewpoints.

Nothing sets Nadaltards apart. You just notice them more because you prefer Federer. You should have been on this board when Nadal beat Federer at Wimbledon and witnessed the volcanic hate that generated. Petitions to speed up the grass, nicknames galore.

What the hell, let's click off my feelings on your list: Federer -- ranges from meh to great admiration to how smarmy; Soderling -- never liked him, still don't, tho he seems like less of a jerk since he beat Nadal; Tsonga -- loved him before and during his AO ascent, slowly soured on him since, and think he's a showboat who can't back up his big mouth; Del Potro -- fantastic talent, seems sweet, I'm really bummed he's off the tour; Djokovic -- disappointed, feel like certain defeats and crowd reactions really sucked his essence out of him; Murray -- never been a fan of him as a player though I like him quite a bit in interviews, starting to seriously doubt he'll ever have the mental wherewithal to win a major; the rest of the ATP -- a good cast of characters, but too much bashing and not enough variety.

Can you feel the hate just dripping off this post?

You're not a tard. That's the difference. I am prepared to accept I notice Nadaltards more. But I am sure Fedtards don't engage in the same kind of vicious personal criticism - they generally criticise Nadal's game, rather than his character, because of course preferring Federer, they're interested in tennis. :devil:

BodyServe
05-28-2010, 10:42 AM
For Roland Garros I know that the record for the shortest best of five is Bruguera defeating Champion in 93 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 in 60 minutes.

Not sure it is the fastest three-setters in history tough. Probably a match was faster at Wimbledon.

Federer beat Falla in 54 min at Wimbledon 04.
Not sure if it's the quickest though.