A few observations about Fed and Agassi tonite.. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

A few observations about Fed and Agassi tonite..

henree
09-09-2004, 06:24 AM
It has been an amazing match so far. It is amazing how many shots both these players have in their arsenal. Agassi needs to stop being so agressive on the returns. When these two get into a baseline rally Agassi typically comes out ahead. He should take a page out of Federer's book, and get the ball in play 1st. If Fed can serve like he did in the 1st set he can win in 4. But If he has to hit alot of second serves he will not be getting pass the quarters, because Agassi is simply better from the baseline. Also is it just me, or does Agassi seem to be very late reacting to serves. Not just in this match but in general. I would love to see a 5 set match with Agassi winning comfortably in the final set. This way we will see how Fed can handle a 5 set ocassion. :p

WyveN
09-09-2004, 06:30 AM
It has been an amazing match so far. It is amazing how many shots both these players have in their arsenal. Agassi needs to stop being so agressive on the returns. When these two get into a baseline rally Agassi typically comes out ahead.

I disagree. A major reason why Andre is superior in a lot of baseline rallies is because he is agressive on the return. You can't just block Federer's serve into play and hope for the best which was shown when Roger played Hewitt.

Agassi has to take it up to Federer all the time, not giving Roger the opportunity for himself to take advantage of a rally as he can certainly do so and then Andre will be on the back foot.

So far Andre's tactics have been just about perfect and so has the "execution" apart from a couple loose games.

because Agassi is simply better from the baseline.

Thats debatable and can be judged in many ways.

Experimentee
09-09-2004, 06:36 AM
I think the delay was probably in Federer's favour, because he usually comes out very strongly, but he cant keep up an amazing level of tennis over 5 sets. Andre can keep his high level for as long as he wants to. Tomorrow all Roger needs to do is come out swinging like he did against Santoro in the first set, and it only takes one more set for him to win.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 08:35 AM
The 3rd set had Andre's name all over it until 5-5 when he served a double fault at 30 all to go break point down. His A game was humming, and he had Roger on the back foot most of the time. Federer did not look at all comfortable, and was fortunate to sneak that set. Agassi needs to come back playing at that high level, serving a bit better and returning more balls into court, and Federer will be a goner. :dance:

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:45 AM
It was Andre who couldn't keep up his level in the match. Andre raised his game and Roger for the 2nd set and most of the 3rd was fighting to stay in there but near the end of the 3rd set his backhand finally appeared to have adapted to Andre's pace. Andre would be lucky if that form was lost tomorrow. Rogi's serving has saved him for most of this match and Andre has been playing really great. Like others said if Rogi comes out firing tomorrow he should win it but if not then Andre could win it. I also hope Rogi works his way into the net and this time with better results.

Daniel
09-09-2004, 11:26 AM
Vamos Roger!!!! :D :worship: :bounce:

tennischick
09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
it's been a good match so far but i don't think Andre could have kept it up. seems to me he was playing outside of himself while Federer was rather craftily just waiting for him to exhaust himself. talk about reverse psychology. anyway i think the rest will help them both. it will give Baldy a chance to discuss the match so far and dissect it with Darren. and it will give Federer a chance to make love to his girlfriend which is apparently all the preparation he needs to win any match. ;)

Fergie
09-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Go Rogi :bigclap:

RebelNYC
09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
This is the best match of the tournament for me! I hope Andre can step
it up ... Roger is playing really well third set.....GO ANDRE GO! I have just
been told they are planning on starting the fourth set at 2 pm ... can that
be right?

Bilbo
09-09-2004, 01:58 PM
Go Andre. You had the 3rd set in your hands. :mad:

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
agree w experimentee... Rogi better come out firing as he did last night to finish off AA in 4 but he s know that AA will be out for his ultimate revenge... Rogi still not playing his best tennis at all this USO... I've yet to see him truly shine... AA playing more solidly and with v few UEs, unlike Rogi... so Rogi, cut down those annoying UEs... must be nerves... crowd for AA, as usual...

tennischick... lol!! hope that's all the prep Rogi needs... I think he could benefit fr some tough practice partner like Serena!!!

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Just hope that Feds can come out ready from the first point and maybe he has done some work on those volleys, he will need to move forward more into the court and the backhand needs to be strong.

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
hi Marc Rosset is Tall!

alfonsojose
09-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Andre :worship: show the young gons how to stop ZZZZederer :zzz:

Havok
09-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Andre needs to stop playing to Federer's forehand.:retard: He did that for the entire 1st set and lost it handily. He finally started to attack Fed's backhand and won the second set, continued to do so in the third set only to play 3 very poor shots and lose the set. Andre's ground game was very good for the 2nd and 3rd sets, I hope he can keep it up when they get back on court to resume their match.

the cat
09-09-2004, 04:47 PM
Every time one of Federer's opponents have the chance to put him under alot of pressure they come up small. Safin had a chance to win the first set of their 2004 Australian Open final. But he didn't. Roddick had a chance to go up 2 sets to 1 over Federer in their 2004 Wimbledon final. But he didn't. And Agassi had a chance to go up 2 sets to 1 last night in their 2004 U.S. Open quarterfinal. But he didn't. Is anyone ever going to come up with the goods against Federer in a grand slam played on a hard court or grass court? I realize Federer is the best tennis player in the world. But it's time some of his opponents started winning some big points against him in some of his big matches.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 04:53 PM
cat, if you realise that Federer is the best player in the world, then the intimidation factor plus the fact that he has a very good record against those players you mentioned, would have contributed to this.

Havok
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Yeah it's true cat, but it's sort of a testament to how good of a player Federer is. He still wins in those tight situations, though his opponents need to start to put the clamps on him and beat him.:tape: Safin, Roddick and Agassi all took it to Federer, though after that 1st set at the AO finals, it was classic Safin tank mode.:drive: Roddick didn't give up in the Wimbledon finals, and I highly doubt Andre will give up today when play resumes.

the cat
09-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Good points Marc and Naldo.

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Roddick had a chance to go up 2 sets to 1 over Federer in their 2004 Wimbledon final. But he didn't. And Agassi had a chance to go up 2 sets to 1 last night in their 2004 U.S. Open quarterfinal. But he didn't. Is anyone ever going to come up with the goods against Federer in a grand slam played on a hard court or grass court? I realize Federer is the best tennis player in the world. But it's time some of his opponents started winning some big points against him in some of his big matches.

The champions always seem to find a way. Pete beat Andre at US Open/Wimbledon every single time they played but virtually every match was filled with "what if" situations for Andre where in crucial situations either he was not good enough to take advantage or Sampras raised his game.

MisterQ
09-09-2004, 08:04 PM
Andre's a choker. :mad:

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Andre's a choker? that's a new one... I don't believe Rogi has the intimidation factor but AA and Pandy do, one cos he's Andre and the other cos he has this freakin big fat serve that bores me to tears and it's not pretty at all but it scares the opponents into losing... hee hee...

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Pete beat Andre at US Open/Wimbledon every single time they played but virtually every match was filled with "what if" situations for Andre where in crucial situations either he was not good enough to take advantage or Sampras raised his game.

Bingo.

I can't tell you how many times Andre would hold his serve at love and get off to a 15/30 or 30/40 lead on many of Pete's serve games, only to squander them. Meanwhile, after all those love games on Andre's serve, Pete would convert the first 30-40 or Adv. Sampras opportinity on Andre's serve and win the set/match. Talk about unbelivable killer instinct and effciency!

Hell, look at 1999 Wimbledon Final where Pete's serve was seemingly untouchable. Andre had Pete at 0/40 (!!!) on 2 different occasions, but when it came time to return at Pete's feet or hit a passing shot, he was always an inch too low or inch too long it seemed. Pete's awesome serves did the rest.

Iheartandy&roger
09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
This is an awesome match so far and it's really good how Agassi is keeping up with Rogi!! No matter what the outcome this was a great match!

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Andre's a choker? that's a new one......

He is not a choker in a sense that Gaudio or other lesser players are chokers, but considering he might go down in history as one of the ten greatest players in history, he sure as hell loses his cool/big points in big matches a whole lot.

Watch him against solid Top 20 players like Schuttner in 2003 AO, Grosjean in 2004 AO or Novak in 2004 USO. Agassi blows them off the court even when he is trying to conserve energy and not playing his best.

Then watch him on various "key" points against Sampras, Federer, Safin, Rafter, Becker, Courier, Hewitt, Chang over the years. He plays flawless tennis when he is ahead, but when he is challenged, when the ENTIRE match may rest on 2-3 crucial points......Andre's starts committing physical as well as mental errors left and right.

Not in every big match of couse, but in enough of them over the years where you could honestly say that if he was tougher mentally, he'd have 3-4 more slams under his belt easily.

Billabong
09-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Both players gave everything they have:)!