RG R1: Ginepri d. Querrey 4-6 7-6(3) 6-4 6-2 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R1: Ginepri d. Querrey 4-6 7-6(3) 6-4 6-2

n8
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Big upset. Querrey now 0-4 at Roland Garros, Ginepri improves to 4-7 (4th round 2008).

B.z.A.
05-25-2010, 01:45 PM
Good!

TheBoiledEgg
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
:spit: :haha: getting out-mugged by Ginepri :lol:

rhinooooo
05-25-2010, 01:46 PM
Not a big upset. Ginepri is a tough matchup for him. Querrey was playing too strong in these fast conditions in the first set, but Ginepri started getting more returns in play, controlling the rallies with angles and solid backhands. Querrey disintegrated in the 2nd set TB and looked out of gas from there.

navy75
05-25-2010, 01:49 PM
Once again, playing that ARAG event is suicide. I knew that playing four matches there would probably cause Sam to lose his first round match, but when I saw that he was playing Ginepri I really didn't see how Sam could lose. When will some of these kids learn to schedule with half of a brain???

This happens every year to players that play a bunch of ARAG matches after an already grueling clay court season. They come into Roland Garros apathetic and unprepared.

Ad Wim
05-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Very surprising, the mp against Almagro wasn't a fluke.

philosophicalarf
05-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Querrey had knee problems last week.

Ginepri was quite solid against Almugro too. National team events can do strange things to player motivation (often negative!), so perhaps Ginepri just needed something like that the way his career was heading.

JMG
05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
:D

Well done Robby! Good win, also for me.

-Valhalla-
05-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Querrey is simply too passive in groundstroke rallies and he needs to develop his forehand into a weapon. His tactics can be lousy as well. When he played Fed here in '08 he actually went to Fed's forehand :retard:

Sam is completely useless at RG.

ExcaliburII
05-25-2010, 01:59 PM
Expected.

Purple Rainbow
05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
Querry once lost to Recouderc here, so this loss can hardly be considered a surprise.

malisha
05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
well done Italian

andylovesaustin
05-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Well.... you know...

In advance, sorry for the rant, but the American men players need to take playing on clay more seriously. I'm sick and tired of the justification.. "Well, clay isn't America's surface," or whatever the heck I read in an article yesterday. Sure there have been a few who've done well, but it just seems like there's always this excuse for American men not doing well.

It's like with the Pete Sampras is GOAT thread.. I reiterate, there is no way a player ANY player can be considered GOAT unless he/she can at least make it to the final, preferably winning the French. So I just do not understand why the American men in particular don't train more for playing at the French. It's a dog gone MAJOR, and they should prepare better for it. :shout:

Congrats to Ginepri.

Nice try Querrey.

Filo V.
05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
I expected Sam to dominate but looking at this result now, I'm not too surprised. Robby is a good returner and can move Sam around, can move well himself and force errors out of Sam, and Sam has overplayed and looked tired and out of it after the second set loss. Not smart scheduling leading up to the tournament for Sam, but for whatever reason, he doesn't like it much here, judging by the results.

Hopefully the results the past couple of weeks show Robby is getting his form back and can win some ATP matches consistently again.

*Jean*
05-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Robby :eek:

TMJordan
05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah boy!!!! clay goat is back! u go Robby!!!!

jrm
05-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Biggest shock in men's draw

Robby :woohoo:

GasquetFan
05-25-2010, 02:30 PM
Didn't see this one coming. Good on ya, Robby! :yeah:

Johnny Groove
05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Ginepri :rocker2:

TMJordan
05-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Biggest shock in men's draw

Not at all. Querrey is a clown and Robbie has the game to bother him also Robbie was close to beating to solid claycourters last week so you can see it was all there.

P.S. Did you see that Monaco lose to Zemlja?

marquez
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Expected.

+1

Beat
05-25-2010, 02:52 PM
i for one am very surprised :eek: well done, signore ginepri.

Ad Wim
05-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Once again, playing that ARAG event is suicide. I knew that playing four matches there would probably cause Sam to lose his first round match, but when I saw that he was playing Ginepri I really didn't see how Sam could lose. When will some of these kids learn to schedule with half of a brain???

This happens every year to players that play a bunch of ARAG matches after an already grueling clay court season. They come into Roland Garros apathetic and unprepared.

Lol, what about Ginepri then?! :haha:
And Troicki, Kohlschreiber, Isner, etc.?

Deboogle!.
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Sam's press conference is down right shocking. He needs to go home and regroup and remember why he loves playing this sport, because it sounds like his mental condition is pretty dire

iriraz
05-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Sam's press conference is down right shocking. He needs to go home and regroup and remember why he loves playing this sport, because it sounds like his mental condition is pretty dire

Yep.He pretty much admited that he tanked the match and didn`t want to be on the court

rhinooooo
05-25-2010, 06:01 PM

I think his honesty is pretty refreshing. Not everyone has the mentality of Fed/Rafa/Roddick etc. It's a tough grind for alot of sportspeople, I think it's a natural reaction for some.

Really don't think it's shocking/dire.

Deboogle!.
05-25-2010, 06:14 PM
His honesty is refreshing, sure, but what he had to say was pretty shocking ... I'm sure it's something a lot of players go through, but it was still surprising to me, especially considering he's posted some pretty good results lately.

Action Jackson
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
I think his honesty is pretty refreshing. Not everyone has the mentality of Fed/Rafa/Roddick etc. It's a tough grind for alot of sportspeople, I think it's a natural reaction for some.

Losing to Ginepri on clay can do that. It's good that he was able to answer honestly.

rhinooooo
05-25-2010, 06:27 PM
lol AJ

His honesty is refreshing, sure, but what he had to say was pretty shocking ... I'm sure it's something a lot of players go through, but it was still surprising to me, especially considering he's posted some pretty good results lately.

Yeah, I can get how it sounds bad. It does. But he's been playing in Europe for a few weeks now, he's young, probably didn't schedule great this year, and it's easy to feel burnout. I think it's natural for some, just didn't have it in him to keep fighting, it wasn't 'there', alot of players can just go on their gut feeling. Everyone is different in terms of how they approach the game, and deal with certain situations.

It's not like he tanked a match to watch Argentina play in the World Cup. :lol:

tangerine_dream
05-25-2010, 06:30 PM
I was going to say, he looked totally worn out, and he admitted that he wasn't having much fun playing tennis lately. Take a vacation, Sam.

Action Jackson
05-25-2010, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I can get how it sounds bad. It does. But he's been playing in Europe for a few weeks now, he's young, probably didn't schedule great this year, and it's easy to feel burnout. I think it's natural for some, just didn't have it in him to keep fighting, it wasn't 'there', alot of players can just go on their gut feeling. Everyone is different in terms of how they approach the game, and deal with certain situations.

It's not like he tanked a match to watch Argentina play in the World Cup. :lol:

The mental side is the biggest part of the sport and hard to do well consistently in any field if you are up and down mentally.

He had some good results on the clay, but tanking at a Slam is bad just bad for him he couldn't find the solution today. At least he has acknowledged it now and see what comes of it.

Getta
05-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Xristos will be delighted with this win.

Roddick also needed to regroup after his defeat at Wimbledon last year. and if i recall correctly he refused to play the DC tie against Croatia... given the circumstances, his decision was absolute common sense.

rhinooooo
05-25-2010, 06:45 PM
The mental side is the biggest part of the sport and hard to do well consistently in any field if you are up and down mentally.

He had some good results on the clay, but tanking at a Slam is bad just bad for him he couldn't find the solution today. At least he has acknowledged it now and see what comes of it.

Yep, exactly. Mentality makes such a difference. And everyone has a different approach to the game, and with given situations.

I agree you don't want to be tanking in these big ones. I think he said it in his presser too - he's getting frustrated with his game, and reached a bit of a sticking point. He wants to be playing better in the big events, he wants to be serving bombs at BP down. Good for him to admit it, and as you said - we'll see how he deals with it.

l_mac
05-25-2010, 06:47 PM
The presser, for those who haven't seen/read it.

Q. What happened out there, Sam?
SAM QUERREY: Um, just tired. Not into it. Mentally not there. I mean, you know what, I don't know. Just not did not enjoy myself out there.
It's been like that on and off for like a while. So I'm going home tomorrow.

Q. You had talked about being here for five weeks, you and John both putting in the time, the effort, and the matches. You won a ton of matches. You rethinking that a little bit?
SAM QUERREY: No, I mean, even the first week I was over here in Rome I lost first round. It was similar to a match like this. Passive not that I was passive today. The main thing is I didn't enjoy myself on the court. Wanted off the court.

Q. Is it a natural reaction just being over here?
SAM QUERREY: No. I don't know what it is. I just need to just be in a better mood or just need to enjoy the competition and enjoy being out there more than I do.
Right now, I mean, I'll enjoy it, and as soon as one thing goes wrong, I'm done.

Q. How did Robby play?
SAM QUERREY: He played great. That's the best I've seen him serve. I don't know what the first serve percentage was, but it seemed pretty high. He was painting the lines and he was you know, he's always had a great return and he was making me play.
It's nice to see. He struggled a little bit this year, so hopefully he can win his next round and make a run here.

Q. We're trying to make sense here. You played a lot of matches and you're out in the first round. Andy didn't play any matches, and he's struggling with Jarkko right now. He just lost the third set.
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I mean, you never know. You know, last summer I had a great summer. I played every day, basically.
You know, the year before when I played fourth round of the Open, I lost early in Cincinnati and played the Huggy Bear the week before the Open. Didn't play a match for two weeks, and then I went deep in the Open that year.
So a lot of times it's just how you're feeling. You know, a lot people have different approaches to how they want to play. A lot of people want to play a lot of matches; some just want to play very few and get some practice in.
It's all different. For me, too.

Q. Where is home that you're going back to?
SAM QUERREY: California.

Q. Were you in dubs with John?
SAM QUERREY: I am right now. I won't be in about an hour.

Q. Just want to get out of here?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah.

Q. So do you feel like going in you're not in the frame of mind, or does it happen right in the middle of the fight?
SAM QUERREY: I think it happens in the middle. I think if you ask my coach, David, he might say otherwise. When I lost that second set tiebreaker and got broken in the first game, I was done. I wanted to be off the court.
I started thinking about leaving and pulling out of the doubles and how much I wanted to go home, how much I wasn't enjoying.
You're never gonna win a match if you're just being negative. I'm only hurting myself.

Q. Isn't that the definition of a professional, that you don't despair so fully as the match progresses, that you somehow control your feelings?
SAM QUERREY: Yeah, I need to work on that. I've not been a professional the last, you know, on and off for the last few months. You know, you're out there facing one opponent. I don't want to face the opponent and myself.
You know, I just need to be better than today, in this case, it was Robby. It's someone different every week. But I don't want to be fighting myself out there and also fighting the opponent.

Q. Yet, Sam, you've had some good results on clay. You won Belgrade, won Houston. Are you fighting sort of a Jeckyll/Hyde part of yourself here?
SAM QUERREY: A little bit. Those are 250s, and they're great. I love you know, a tournament win is a tournament win. A final is great. It builds my confidence, but I won Belgrade and my ranking didn't move. I'm kind of past that point right now. Those 250s do nothing for me ranking wise. It's all about the Masters Series and the Grand Slams.
That's where I just have not been playing well. You know, I just need to mentally get it together in my head. I need to enjoy myself out there. I need to enjoy playing. You know, if a guy has a breakpoint against me, I should know, Hey, I've got one of the biggest serves out there. Let's see you win this point off me.
But like I said, I just tank some points.

Q. What has David said about that?
SAM QUERREY: He thinks I'm a little tapped out, which I am. We haven't really talked about it in depth yet, because I just basically finished and came right here.

Q. What's next? Next tournament?
SAM QUERREY: Right now I'm scheduled to play in Queen's.

Q. Do you think you'll get there?
SAM QUERREY: I mean, I don't know. I'm going home tomorrow, and then, yeah, hopefully I'll be there.

LOL @ all the "refreshing" posts :rolls:

Action Jackson
05-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep, exactly. Mentality makes such a difference. And everyone has a different approach to the game, and with given situations.

I agree you don't want to be tanking in these big ones. I think he said it in his presser too - he's getting frustrated with his game, and reached a bit of a sticking point. He wants to be playing better in the big events, he wants to be serving bombs at BP down. Good for him to admit it, and as you said - we'll see how he deals with it.

Yes of course, we aren't wired the same way and tennis players aren't different in this regard.

Tanking shouldn't happen but it does and GS level is where they should be peaking. Not everyone has Nadal like focus and at the same time it's a job to them, like most people who haven't got pissed off or bummed out about what they are doing.

At the same time he could have just given a whole cliched interview.

Selby
05-25-2010, 07:28 PM
Awful awful presser, he said all the stuff you don't want a tennis player you like to say.

canbera
05-25-2010, 07:57 PM

So for Ginepri it was also a mistake to play Duesseldorf, though he was able to win his first round match in RG against Sam Querrey?

Fee
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
So for Ginepri it was also a mistake to play Duesseldorf, though he was able to win his first round match in RG against Sam Querrey?

Ginepri played one match. Besides, Robby used to be a momentum player who did better with lots of matches. Its a good win for him considering the slide he's been on, but I don't know if he can turn that into any kind of run in Paris.

I'm a bit suprised to see Sam say that he will bail on doubles with John, hopefully that doesn't create a huge rift between them. I'm not entirely surprised that Sam was so blunt in his PC, or even by what he said. I've seen this from him before, it happened a few years ago (I think it was 2006?) when he had a few surprise losses then came to Nor Cal to play some Challengers so he could regroup. Maybe being home in LA for a few days will help him shake it off.

Roddickominator
05-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Lol WOW....that presser confirmed everything i've always thought about Querrey....and is why I don't like him at all.

KarlyM
05-26-2010, 12:29 AM
Once I saw the scoreline, I suspected Querrey was burned out. He's played the last 4 weeks in Europe -> final in Rome doubles, won the title in Belgrade, didn't do much in Madrid (singles loss, and doubles win and loss), and 4 singles and 1 doubles match in Dusseldorf. I think Querrey needs to plan his schedule better, and put his focus on better results at Masters and Slams. If he wants his ranking to improve, he has to focus on the big events - he's pretty much maxed out the 250/500 events.

I'm happy to see Ginepri win. :D He's been struggling for awhile and had not won a tour match since Chennai. Didn't he lose to Boggo a couple weeks ago? :p Anyway, I hope he beats Starace next round. :)

Geo
05-26-2010, 03:59 AM
:spit: Querrey

good win for Ginepri though :yeah: he needed this badly.

idolwatcher1
05-26-2010, 04:47 AM
this is...

http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/7664/wafflen.gif

:p

Sam needs to learn to pace himself better, and keep the motivation up during the big events. I was there at his finals match in Houston, and you could just see him taking himself out of that match and just not recovering. It seems like once the momentum shifts in his matches, he just doesn't want to give it his all anymore.

Congrats to Robby! :) He does his best when he's relaxed, focused, and serving well. Sam zoning out probably helped Robby relax a lot more. And since he was serving well today, Robby was able to win this one. His next match could be a much different narrative though... :o

lalaland
05-26-2010, 04:55 AM
If I were Sam's fan, I'll be worry, not angry. Since I'm not a fan, I thought it's pretty cool that he told exactly what he's feeling, saved all the guessing of what's going on with him. If I were John, I'll be pissed that he just walked out of the double team just because he didn't feel like doing it, it's important to honor the commitment to your double partner.

But anyway, I'm happy that Robby win.

Misterman
05-26-2010, 05:09 PM
He's a douchebag. He's just like Serena - loves the sport only when he's winning. Hates the sport when he's losing. Spoiled, rich American brats. Go home and cry about it to mommy Sam