RG R1 Murray def. Gasquet 4-6 6-7(5) 6-4 6-2 6-1 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

RG R1 Murray def. Gasquet 4-6 6-7(5) 6-4 6-2 6-1

Action Jackson
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Excellent shotmaking from Gasquet early, but Murray too fit and strong at the end.

Andreas
What a fucking disgusting person Murray is.

Bilbo
smart scheduling by gasquet

enjoy your nice title, richard :wavey:

martinatreue
05-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I wasted time watching yet another Gasquet match. Usually he chokes and he kind of did when he had a break point and missed an overhead.

Björki
great choke Richie :rolleyes:

BlueSwan
Too bad.

green25814
Ugly Scots will always beat flowery Frenchmen.

Good effort from Gasquet nonetheless.

TheBoiledEgg
ran out of gas

anywhere else they'd have given him a Tues start
but not the FFT they like to shoot themselves in the head :tape:

tealeaves
I wasted two hours on this match watching him choke the 3rd set away. 3*-2 up a break, missing easy shot and got broken in the ultimate game.

rubbERR
05-24-2010, 05:46 PM
stop whining nerds, richard was clearly exhausted

freeandlonely
Shit.
I knew it will be like that.

daddy
Gasquet run out of gas.

Priam
Good match for Gasquet. After the 3rd, I thought the result was NID. That BH was killer at times today. Rest up, richie!

Chair Umpire
Gasquet choked. Simply as that.

vn01
The match was good,but Gasquet was too exhausted after Nice title and the first 2 sets against Murray.Anyway,well done Andy

*Jean*
Missed chance. :o Two sets and a break up AGAIN. :o :sad:

seljanin
great choke Richie :rolleyes:

Wasn't a choke, he simply completely ran out of gas. Murray was much, much fitter.

Cloudygirl
smart scheduling by gasquet

enjoy your nice title, richard :wavey:

Yeah because when you are ranked 80+ you can afford not to play 250s with relatively easy draws.

Johnny Groove
Richard played some blinding stuff for the first 2 and a half sets, got up a break in the 3rd, but couldn't finish the deal.

Murray came back in that third, and after that it was clear it wasn't going to be Gasquet's day. Tired and wilted in the 4th and 5th set, and Murray kept up the pressure.

See you on grass, Richie.

ChuckNorrisFan
05-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Pathetic

njnetswill
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
Up a break in the third, Richard :o :sad:

green25814
05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
What a fucking disgusting person Murray is.

:lol:

roberthenman
good victory Andy, well fight :rocker:

good effort Richard :yeah:

Noleta
Richard fitness was his downfall today:hug:

Muzza,just hanged in there,probably knew his opponent couldn't outlast him physically.

:hug:To all Richard fans:kiss:

Sillyrabbit
How the heck is Murray disgusting? Blame Gasquet or the brilliant match schedule people.

Rosa Luxembourg
what a PIGEON! And I don't even know the record between these two, but this match and Wimbledon of 2 years ago say it ALL.

dav abu
frustrating match for Gasquet but I don't think he choked, he was physically exhausted. Murray had the calm to capitalise.

Claroo
05-24-2010, 05:50 PM
Yep, Gasquet was outstanding in the first two sets, but Murray knew he just had to wait for Richard to run out of gas.
That's what happened.
Well, still very encouraging for Richard, and now he has plenty of time to prepare for the grass season. :)

tennizen
Gasquet was stunning in the first two and half sets. Andy is a bit lucky. I don't think Gasquet choked away this match:shrug:

Deivid23
Good match from Gasquet, he was never going to win a 5 setter though

TMJordan
moron

philosophicalarf
Gasquet was great for 2 sets, but Murray was really poor at times.

No serve, doublefaulting all over. Was 45%ish first serve before he was able to ease off with Gasquet exhausted, just roll in a few more and raise the numbers.

More importantly, he was df'ing at really bad moments. Choked the end of the first set, df and horrendous volley miss on setpoint. DF in 2nd set tiebreak. DF in another of the breaks.

As for Gasquet, obviously he was physically gone in the 4th and 5th, but he also donated the break back immediately in the 3rd. Murray had just given away a silly break, and looked ready to leave, but Gasquet totally lost focus and gifted it straight back.

Certinfy
I love you Andy! :bowdown: Even when Gasquet was 2 sets and a break up I knew he would lose. :haha:

federernadalfan
05-24-2010, 05:51 PM
gasquet ultimately ran out of gas
murray did well to hold on and run on an opportunity in the third set

Action Jackson
No choking from Gasquet, he ran out of legs and was feeling it in the 2nd set. Murray was able to hang around and then expose it.

Roamed
Poor Gasquet... I hope this loss doesn't discourage him, he was obviously exhausted.

Another RogFan
A trailer of the match could be shown as an example how the drugs harm!
Well done Murray!

scoobs
Totally expected, Gasquet must wish he only needed to win 2 1/2 sets to beat Murray at Grand Slams.

Just didn't have it in the legs (and slightly in the head) to throw him over the finish line. In the battle between Gasquet's superior play (and he was for the first three sets) and Murray's doggedness and fitness, fitness wins again.

henke007
Murray saved Tennis and that horrible joke of a quarter of his to turn into a crappy 500 tourney of its own!!:worship:

Kip
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Work on your conditioning Richard, this match should have been yours.
Oh well. :cool:

oranges
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
Fabulous play from Richard in the first two sets, haven't seen play that well in ages, but it was obvious in the second already that he's slowly running out of gas. For all the bashing of the French crowd, they deserve it the most for that pathetic support. They were raving while he was playing out of his mind and went dead as soon as his level dropped. Newsflash, adrenaline is an excellent way to pump him up and it would have helped in the 3rd and 4th, not in the 5th when they finally woke up and he could barely stand.

Get well deserved rest Richard and see you in that form for the grass season :)

Priam
05-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I got annoyed at Murray at the end of the 2nd set after listening to his discussion with the chair umpire. Anyone else feel the same way?

Noleta
05-24-2010, 05:53 PM
Richard fitness was his downfall today:sad:

Muzza,just hanged in there,probably knew his opponent couldn't outlast him physically.

To all Richard fans:hug:

Noleta
05-24-2010, 05:54 PM
I got annoyed at Murray at the end of the 2nd set after listening to his discussion with the chair umpire. Anyone else feel the same way?

H e likes to have a moan,typical Scots;)

nobama
05-24-2010, 05:54 PM
Shame for Gasquet. :sad: But props to him for not retiring against Murray. Hopefully he can be fit for grass.

Commander Data
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
lucky murray

GasquetFan
05-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Outplayed Murray during the first 2 sets and then slowly got worse as the match progressed. Just didn't have to energy to finish it off. :sad::sad:

green25814
05-24-2010, 05:56 PM
This is why grandslams mean more than other events btw.

Five sets are for men. Its just such a bigger test.

Adri89
05-24-2010, 05:58 PM
The better player lost. :sad:
I hope that Gasquet can keep this level for Wimbledon.

Ouragan
05-24-2010, 06:01 PM
It's obvious Gazza's main problem is lack of form. His beautiful, explosive game is too demanding for his state of fitness. Go push some weights matey and you might have a chance at Wimbledeon.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Good match from Gasquet, he was never going to win a 5 setter though
Wow, even you acknowledge he played well. I knew he had to do it in straights, he didn't. so be it.

Credit to Richard for finishing the match. His form is clearly improving and hopefully he will have a good grass season.
:hug:

I wasted time watching yet another Gasquet match. Usually he chokes and he kind of did when he had a break point and missed an overhead.
I wonder why you watch tennis, if you consider this match as a waste.

Ouragan
05-24-2010, 06:02 PM
H e likes to have a moan,typical Scots;)

Moan? Sounds typically French ;)

Farrow
05-24-2010, 06:03 PM

It's only a bigger test of stamina. Gasquet played much better tennis until he tired. Murray just had to hang around. :o

tennishero
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
ffs gasquet..

murray couldnt compete in attack so he just started defending, lobbing, pushing and waiting for UE's.. it worked in the end.

cant wait to see murray lose again, fucking pusher.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
Nothing wrong with the head today. Just physically exhausted.
Well done Richard!
Bring on Wimbledon, :)

SheepleBuster
05-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Wasn't a choke, he simply completely ran out of gas. Murray was much, much fitter.

I am sorry. French Players are chokers. Paul Henry Mathieu, Gasquet, and even Monfils. I liked Gasquet when he beat Roger a few years ago. But then he has choked so many times against Nadal, Federer, Murray, and everyone else. Really. He got the break in the 3rd and couldn't finish it? That's choking brother.

green25814
05-24-2010, 06:05 PM
It's only a bigger test of stamina. Gasquet played much better tennis until he tired. Murray just had to hang around. :o

Stamina and mental strength. There is more oppurtunity for you to lose your head. You have to be stronger in every way.

Its partly why the womens grandslams mean so little.

rocketassist
05-24-2010, 06:07 PM
:haha: at bitter gasquet tards! bitterness will only get worse now. seen the last set in a catalan bar, and richard looked goosed. shouldnt have played nice. dedicated to bgt, eliande, puschkin, and the rest of the gasgimps.

Filo V.
05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
Have to give Murray real credit here. He just hung in there and didn't give up after being totally outplayed for 2 1/4 sets, and willed himself to stay in it. Kept the pressure on Gasquet to keep playing at a high level, and he couldn't do it.

Richie was a half set away from getting it done and mentally and physically wilted. He was playing excellent tennis but got progressively tired from the second set onwards. The fresher and stronger of the two players prevailed. Murray has definitely proven how much heart he has with this performance and that he isn't just looking past RG for Wimbledon.

The organizers are going to have a lot of explaining to do. They may be the most to blame for this result in Richie's behalf.

Puschkin
05-24-2010, 06:08 PM
It's obvious Gazza's main problem is lack of form.
lack of form? :bs: Did you watch the match?

His beautiful, explosive game is too demanding for his state of fitness. Go push some weights matey and you might have a chance at Wimbledeon.
You know that he has been playing for two weeks, don't you?

His two tournemant wins (in case you missed that) brought him almost as much as a Roland Garros QF, and he needed both the points and the victories.

Bobby
05-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Nothing wrong with Gasquet's scheduling. He's building his comeback and next year he probably won't play the week before. He didn't choke either, he simply was too exhausted. Gave his all but knew that he had to win in three sets. He has a beautiful backhand.

Filo V.
05-24-2010, 06:10 PM
What's funny though is, I don't understand why Murray fans are gloating. He was well on the way of losing and it took Richard to choke/fatigue/collapse to actually pull Murray through. I wouldn't boast about the actual tennis level of Andy, because it was clear who was winning in that battle, and it wasn't Murray.

JamieOwen3
05-24-2010, 06:11 PM
atleast andy can have a good fast win in his next round against his bitch chela :p

FormerRafaFan
If it helps, our commentators said Gasquet would've probably won if the match was played tomorrow instead of today..

I know Gasquet was tired, and it looked like he had a back injury too. Poor guy, he ran out of steam at the end there, I wouldn't exactly say he choked it all away either. He was just exhausted..

Puschkin
:haha: at bitter gasquet tards! bitterness will only get worse now. seen the last set in a catalan bar, and richard looked goosed. shouldnt have played nice. dedicated to bgt, eliande, puschkin, and the rest of the gasgimps.
:rolleyes: Where did I express bitterness?
I knew he would not win if it went beyond three sets. But what I have seen before (= beautiful tennis) makes me happy not bitter.

habibko
05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Richie :hug: alot of positives to take from his title in Nice and his great play in the first 2 sets, shame he couldn't get the job done but at least it was due to his recent success rather than a choke, great to see the crowd chanting his name at the end =)

Andi-M
05-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Richie was flashy as usual and played good stuff, but I was more impressed with Andy considering his poor play and more importantly poor attitude over the last few months I thought it was a reallly important victory for him, and hopefully a good sign of things to come.

Jozie
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM

:rolleyes:

Clearly you have no idea!! Don't think too many fans are bitter, rather just happy for to see Gasquet take it to the top players. :rolleyes:

JamieOwen3
05-24-2010, 06:16 PM
it clearly was too good of a match up to be first round to start. so richard get ur mutha fu**ing ranking back to the top ten where u belong.

Tutu
05-24-2010, 06:20 PM
NID. Congratulations FFT!

We will have to wait a match or two longer to see Murray lose now. :rolleyes:

malisha
good stuff from Gasquet

but tartan heart is too big yet again

green25814
What's funny though is, I don't understand why Murray fans are gloating. He was well on the way of losing and it took Richard to choke/fatigue/collapse to actually pull Murray through. I wouldn't boast about the actual tennis level of Andy, because it was clear who was winning in that battle, and it wasn't Murray.

Who is gloating?

I was expecting Murray to lose tbh, his level is terrible on clay.

rhinooooo
05-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Only saw the first 5 games, Richie was hitting some magnificent shots. Always good to see a talented player getting some form, hope he's ready for the grass, he's one of the few who plays nice tennis on it.

tennishero
Richie was flashy as usual and played good stuff, but I was more impressed with Andy considering his poor play and more importantly poor attitude over the last few months I thought it was a reallly important victory for him, and hopefully a good sign of things to come.

his constant lobs, and pathetic pushing was most impressive indeed.

tangerine_dream
Gasquet clearly ran out of gas, he needed more time to recover from Nice. Muzzard lucks out again.

oranges
05-24-2010, 06:24 PM

I think you're dreaming that part up :lol: Granted it would be sweeter if I could show Murray the muscle in the match result thread (but then when that isn't the case), but this was no devastating loss and if I were a Muzza fan, God forbid, I wouldn't gloat about it as there isn't anything to gloat about. Richie's coming to grass season in very good form, all is well in the world ;)

marcRD
05-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Gasquet ran out of gas but choked in the 3rd set and had no fight in him. I am so sick of this guy, I will always be a fan of his tennis but he has absolutely a big zero on fighting spirit and has serious psychological problems.

Topspin Forehand
lol at Gasquet's fitness

Clydey
Excellent shotmaking from Gasquet early, but Murray too fit and strong at the end.

Murray's legs were far too thick. Gasquet couldn't compete.

In all seriousness, the first two sets were excellent from both, but particularly Gasquet. Last three sets were scrappy as hell. Fair enough, Gasquet had played a lot of tennis, but he shouldn't be gassing that badly. He really needs to improve his fitness.

Filo V.
Who is gloating?

I was expecting Murray to lose tbh, his level is terrible on clay.

It's this attitude that some posters are showing "well, Murray is better so of course he won" or that Gasquet sucks or making fun of Gasquet, saying Gasquet fans are bitter and Murray "saved tennis". The truth is, Gasquet was really the better player, but when it mattered it was heart that pulled Murray through, and the end result is the W, but that doesn't take away from how the match actually went. The negative side comments are unnecessary.

KoOlMaNsEaN
05-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Pauvre Rich :sad:

Persimmon
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Murray:angel:

SheepleBuster
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Murray is the exact reason why there is probably no big man with white beard is sitting somewhere creating us. I mean if God created that, then he may want to retire... Even looking at him makes me want to play Russian Roulette.

Andi-M
05-24-2010, 06:32 PM
his constant lobs, and pathetic pushing was most impressive indeed.

Its more impressive to be physically unable to compete after 3 sets, silly me.

green25814
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
It's this attitude that some posters are showing "well, Murray is better so of course he won" or that Gasquet sucks or making fun of Gasquet, saying Gasquet fans are bitter and Murray "saved tennis". The truth is, Gasquet was really the better player, but when it mattered it was heart that pulled Murray through, and the end result is the W, but that doesn't take away from how the match actually went. The negative side comments are unnecessary.

Some people have seen Gasquet do this so often that they just find it funny now. If this was a one-off thing it wouldn't be so bad.

Clydey
05-24-2010, 06:34 PM
good stuff from Gasquet

but tartan heart is too big yet again

Good to see my nickname for Andy is catching on.

SheepleBuster
Some people have seen Gasquet do this so often that they just find it funny now. If this was a one-off thing it wouldn't be so bad.

It's pathetic. Come on. I knew when Gasquet when 2 set and a break up, he was exactly where Murray wanted him. haha. Gasquet is a painful story. Very painful to watch when you see someone crumble like that 2ice against the same player

green25814
Murray is the exact reason why there is probably no big man with white beard is sitting somewhere creating us. I mean if God created that, then he may want to retire... Even looking at him makes me want to play Russian Roulette.

Scottish people are demons, God has no influence on what comes out of that country.

Filo V.
05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

Yes, I agree on that front. But at the same time Gasquet lost this match as much as Andy won it. And that's what's not being said.

fran70
05-24-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree with you. Richard played a great match. As always Murray looked out of control when things are not going well... Unfortunately Richard is forced to give priority to smaller tournaments until he can return to his tennis. Otherwise this match would had finish on his pocket. I hope he can have a good grass season and to see him playing his best tennis soon.

Riosreigned
05-24-2010, 06:36 PM
What a weird match. Gasquet plays a lot of weird matches doesn't he? It's frustrating to see such a talented player fall so short so frequently. Tennis is a weird game.

Sophocles
05-24-2010, 06:37 PM
Entertaining match. Gasquet shouldn't be too gutted: it was always going to be tough to win a 5-set match against a top-5 player after winning Nice. Good win for Murray.

green25814
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
Yes, I agree on that front. But at the same time Gasquet lost this match as much as Andy won it. And that's what's not being said.

There are very few people who can outplay Gasquet when he's on fire, so I don't think Murray has too much to worry about really.

Its not like anyone expects him to do anything at the FO.

tennizen
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
On a different note, was Murray smiling a lot more on court than usual? Seemed that way to me.

LoveFifteen
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Gasquet is supposed to be an athlete. Less whining about not getting a Tuesday start, more dedication to fitness training, Richard!

yuri27
05-24-2010, 06:44 PM
Gasquet was great for 2 sets, but Murray was really poor at times.

No serve, doublefaulting all over. Was 45%ish first serve before he was able to ease off with Gasquet exhausted, just roll in a few more and raise the numbers.

More importantly, he was df'ing at really bad moments. Choked the end of the first set, df and horrendous volley miss on setpoint. DF in 2nd set tiebreak. DF in another of the breaks.

As for Gasquet, obviously he was physically gone in the 4th and 5th, but he also donated the break back immediately in the 3rd. Murray had just given away a silly break, and looked ready to leave, but Gasquet totally lost focus and gifted it straight back.

Hum what???:eek::eek::lol::lol::lol:

His serve was basically the ONLY thing which kept the scoreline close in the first 2 sets,especially the first one.

Clydey
05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
On a different note, was Murray smiling a lot more on court than usual? Seemed that way to me.

I think it was more of a frustrated smile. They invariably came after a ridiculous Gasquet winner.

tennizen
05-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I think it was more of a frustrated smile. They invariably came after a ridiculous Gasquet winner.

Yeah, but I have never seen him do that either.

Noleta

:rolls:

Sillyrabbit
There are very few people who can outplay Gasquet when he's on fire, so I don't think Murray has too much to worry about really.

Is that in regards to Murray? If it is, then it depends on what you mean by anything, because with his draw, he manages not to play any decent clay courter till probably the semis(Federer), and won't play anyone that you can term "decent" till the quarters.

His smiles in the early part of the match seemed more like the kinda sarcastic smile that players usually have on when their opponent is just playing out of his skin and they can't do anything about it. Like the goofy faces he was making against Ferrer.

Clydey
05-24-2010, 06:47 PM

His serve was basically the ONLY thing which kept the scoreline close in the first 2 sets,especially the first one.

You're joking, right? His percentage was at 39% in the second set and 50% in the first. His serve nearly lost him the match. It certainly didn't keep him in it, Richie21.

Clydey
Yeah, but I have never seen him do that either.

I've seen him do it. Not quite that often, though.

yuri27
Nothing wrong with Gasquet's scheduling. He's building his comeback and next year he probably won't play the week before. He didn't choke either, he simply was too exhausted. Gave his all but knew that he had to win in three sets. He has a beautiful backhand.

No kidding!
But of course,Murray's BH>>Gasquet's BH.

green25814
05-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Is that in regards to Murray? If it is, then it depends on what you mean by anything, because with his draw, he manages not to play any decent clay courter till probably the semis(Federer), and won't play anyone that you can term "decent" till the quarters.

Yeah, I expect him to get fairly far now he's made it past Gasquet, but he has no chance of ever winning this slam really. Nadal/Federer are just too strong here.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 06:50 PM
You're joking, right? His percentage was at 39% in the second set and 50% in the first. His serve nearly lost him the match. It certainly didn't keep him in it, Richie21.

It was 50% in the first set basically because he went for the ace everytime.....and look all those BPs he saved in the first set just because of his serve.
Gasquet was easily the superior player in the first set and yet,the scoreline was only 6-4....it has all to due with Murray's serve.

And for the last time,i'm not this Richie21 everyone is talking about there!:mad:

Filo V.

He expects himself to do something at the French. What Murray has to worry about is the fact his level was about adequate for the first 2+ sets, and for Murray to really beat top level clay court players, he has to play at his top level, and he didn't. He can't rely on his opponent collapsing to win throughout the tournament. But the fact his draw is pretty easy the next few round will help him.

Clydey
No kidding!
But of course,Murray's BH>>Gasquet's BH.

Gasquet's backhand is certainly more spectacular. It breaks down a hell of a lot more, however.

Clydey
05-24-2010, 06:52 PM
It was 50% in the first set basically because he went for the ace everytime.....and look all those BPs he saved in the first set just because of his serve.
Gasquet was easily the superior player in the first set and yet,the scoreline was only 6-4....it has all to due with Murray's serve.

And for the last time,i'm not this Richie21 everyone is talking about there!:mad:

Murray was going for the slice out wide often and his percentage was still abysmal.

And you are Richie21.

JamieOwen3
05-24-2010, 06:53 PM
i don't care if gasquet had played a final on saturday out of all the top 10 murray got the hardest 1st round by far. richard could given any of the top 5 big problems today nadal would have won more convincingly against him probably but still gasquet a former number 7 in the first round against the current number 4 pretty damn hard first match of murray's hardest surface and slam. compare it to roger's first round opponent....

green25814
05-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Murray was going for the slice out wide often and his percentage was still abysmal.

And you are Richie21.

If he's not Richie21 he is now :haha:

Sillyrabbit
05-24-2010, 06:58 PM
i don't care if gasquet had played a final on saturday out of all the top 10 murray got the hardest 1st round by far.

And then in turn Djokovic fans could counter with Djokovic getting the hardest DRAW by far.

philosophicalarf
05-24-2010, 06:59 PM

Huh? He was 43% first serve over those opening two sets. Doublefaulted and then completely gifted away the first set, doublefaulted in the 2nd set tiebreak, 8 doublefaults in total for the match. That's not a serve that's working properly - aside from the 4th set, when he was relaxed with Gasquet giving up, it was misfiring all match. If the serve was anywhere near decent, would have been two tiebreaks at worst, and very unlikely Murray loses both.

The only real positive was Gasquet wasn't doing anything to damage Murray's 2nd serve (62% points won on 2nd serve in sets 1 and 2), mainly cos he was sitting so deep. It's not like Murray gets any free points off big 2nd serves either, he was having to win those in the rally.

By the way, it's not like Gasquet was dominant in the 2nd set. Murray actually had won 2 more points before the tiebreak.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Anyway,i don't know how anyone can like Murray's game.
The guy only plays offensive tennis when he gets to play Nadal.

Clydey
05-24-2010, 07:03 PM
Anyway,i don't know how anyone can like Murray's game.
The guy only plays offensive tennis when he gets to play Nadal.

Keep crying, Richie.

habibko
05-24-2010, 07:11 PM
was Richie21 banned? if not why is he using yuri27 now? I can't see the point.

ossie
05-24-2010, 07:30 PM
not bad from murray he should make the semis at least

Matt01
05-24-2010, 07:33 PM

Stamina and mental strength. There is more oppurtunity for you to lose your head. You have to be stronger in every way.

Its partly why the womens grandslams mean so little.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

Raquel
05-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Well done Andy :D Glad he pulled that out in the end. Really did think when Gasquet was at 3-2 up in the 3rd that he would reel off a few games and win before tiredness even became an issue.

chammer44
05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
not bad from murray he should make the semis at least

That would be a great feat considering his draw. I doubt he can do it.

green25814
05-24-2010, 07:49 PM
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Could you explain instead of just randomly disagreeing without an argument?

yuri27
05-24-2010, 07:57 PM
I am sorry. French Players are chokers. Paul Henry Mathieu, Gasquet, and even Monfils. I liked Gasquet when he beat Roger a few years ago. But then he has choked so many times against Nadal, Federer, Murray, and everyone else. Really. He got the break in the 3rd and couldn't finish it? That's choking brother.

When did he exactly choked against Nadal??

chammer44
05-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Could you explain instead of just randomly disagreeing without an argument?

You're dead wrong, mate.

green25814
05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
So you think Five sets don't test stamina/mental endurance?

Wtf?

ChinoRios4Ever
05-24-2010, 08:05 PM
always tired, always ran out of gas this Gasquet :rolleyes:

lucky one Muzza

SheepleBuster
05-24-2010, 08:08 PM
When did he exactly choked against Nadal??

a couple of times, blitzing Nadal in the first set and then just not showing up for the rest. OK. It's not choking against Nadal. It's losing the lead. Better?

Hellraiser
05-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Richard master of disaster.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 08:12 PM
always tired, always ran out of gas this Gasquet :rolleyes:

That's why i don't feel sorry for him at all.
If he can't see that stamina is the big reason why he has lost so many close matches and/or if he doesn't work hard enough on his fitness then he deserves to continue to lose matches like this.

What is both terrible and comical is that despite the fact he was leading 2 sets to love,i was sure he would lose this match at the beginning of the third set as he already looked exhausted.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 08:15 PM
a couple of times, blitzing Nadal in the first set and then just not showing up for the rest. OK. It's not choking against Nadal. It's losing the lead. Better?

If you're talking about their Toronto match then it completely false to call it choke as he never was in position to win that match.
His losses against Murray at Wimbledon,Gonzalez at AO and Almagro this year in an ATP tournament were true chokes though.

Sillyrabbit
05-24-2010, 08:17 PM
That would be a great feat considering his draw. I doubt he can do it.

You obviously haven't seen his draw

So you think Five sets don't test stamina/mental endurance?

Wtf?

Matt01 is a WTA fan so I think he was referring to the part about the WTA, saying women's match don't mean much because it's 3 sets.

Marine
05-24-2010, 08:20 PM
Wow what a match ! Richard was just amazing, what a pleasure to see a bit of his talent. But
his physic...

Nole fan
05-24-2010, 08:30 PM
I don't think Gasquet is a choker, he just can't handle long matches, he gets exhausted very soon, he's not the fittest player on tour but definitely one of the most naturally gifted. His backhand is a pleasure to watch. :drool:
Murray had a cold head and he did what he had to do, a win is a win, glad for Andy. :rocker:

Doggy
05-24-2010, 08:34 PM
ugh, i don't even want to sleep with you richard after this result. get a GS semi again!!!!!

Vida
05-24-2010, 08:45 PM
watched first 3 sets. murray :yeah:

Scotso
05-24-2010, 08:46 PM
Sweet. :D

-Valhalla-
05-24-2010, 08:49 PM
A great first round match for 2 ½ sets, and then it descended into a war of attrition. I thought Gasquet just flat-out outplayed Murray during the opening two sets with his brilliant shot-making and aggressive play. His backhand was in free-flow [and it’s a thing of beauty when it is!] and he was firing some amazing winners off that side ... I shudder to think of how many slams Fed would have with that backhand!

Murray looked like ... well, Murray. He was defensively counterpunching and I thought he made a big tactical error in engaging Richie in those backhand-to-backhand exchanges. And not to diminish his victory, but I thought Gas would have prevailed had he not been exhausted from Nice. IMO, Murray needs to learn how to make better mid-match adjustments.

As far as some people suggesting Richard choked, that’s just ridiculous. There was no choke or lack of testicular fortitude here. Gasquet simply ran out of gas [no pun intended] and Murray’s supreme conditioning [which I’m sure weighed heavily on the mind of Richie in the 3rd set] eventually won the day.

Overall, it was a highly entertaining match and there are a lot of positives for both men to take away. And I for one would love to see them lock horns again at Wimbledon :devil:

Abc Tennis
05-24-2010, 08:55 PM
but I thought Gas would have prevailed had he not been exhausted from Nice.

It's a bit tricky this part, imo. Yeah, hadn't he been exhausted from Nice, he would have put up (maybe) a better fight in the last 2 sets and half. But hadn't he played (and won) in Nice, he would have been more rested but also with a lot less enthusiasm on his shoulders and (maybe) he wouldn't have played so well in the first 2 sets and half :shrug:

yuri27
05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
It's a bit tricky this part, imo. Yeah, hadn't he been exhausted from Nice, he would have put up (maybe) a better fight in the last 2 sets and half. But hadn't he played (and won) in Nice, he would have been more rested but also with a lot less enthusiasm on his shoulders and (maybe) he wouldn't have played so well in the first 2 sets and half :shrug:

He always tends to play well against Murray though.

Abc Tennis
05-24-2010, 09:09 PM
He always tends to play well against Murray though.

Before today they have played each other only 3 other times (Wimbledon 2008, once in 2007 and once in 2006), don't know if that's enough to say that :shrug:

Nole fan
05-24-2010, 09:11 PM
This match clearly explains why Gasquet, despite his enormous talent, is only nº 45 and Murray is nº 4. No need to sweat it.

Dini
05-24-2010, 09:15 PM
He just can't win these 5 set matches, can he? It's a fact now don't know why I bothered with the question. He played so well for two and a half sets and I thought the confidence he brought over from last week would carry him through as well as the crowd on his side but it's the same old story. Richie is just a flop at the big stage, especially RG.

Still loved the shotmaking though. Some very memorable backhands. But it's about winning ugly and not playing beuatifully and losing. :(

On to grass I guess.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
He just can't win these 5 set matches, can he? It's a fact now don't know why I bothered with the question. He played so well for two and a half sets and I thought the confidence he brought over from last week would carry him through as well as the crowd on his side but it's the same old story. Richie is just a flop at the big stage, especially RG.

Still loved the shotmaking though. Some very memorable backhands. But it's about winning ugly and not playing beuatifully and losing. :(

On to grass I guess.

I guess his matches against Roddick,Haas or Ljubicic never happened then........

Dini
05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
They happened of course, but I was talking more about these days. Losses to Gonzalez, Youzhny and Murray x2 whilst leading 2-0 in sets are unfortunately at the forefront when assessing his current 5 set form. Unfortunate but he just doesn't last the whole distance anymore and I'm pessimistic about it changing. Of course, he's very welcome to prove me wrong come Wimbledon.

Acer
05-24-2010, 09:33 PM
This match clearly explains why Gasquet, despite his enormous talent, is only nº 45 and Murray is nº 4. No need to sweat it.

Umm, no it really doesn't. Besides it's not like #45 represents his actual potential, we know he has quite some room for improvement in the months to come.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Fabulous play from Richard in the first two sets, haven't seen play that well in ages, but it was obvious in the second already that he's slowly running out of gas. For all the bashing of the French crowd, they deserve it the most for that pathetic support. They were raving while he was playing out of his mind and went dead as soon as his level dropped. Newsflash, adrenaline is an excellent way to pump him up and it would have helped in the 3rd and 4th, not in the 5th when they finally woke up and he could barely stand.

Get well deserved rest Richard and see you in that form for the grass season :)

Agree with that.

Bagelicious
05-24-2010, 10:19 PM
ugh, i don't even want to sleep with you richard after this result. get a GS semi again!!!!!

I miss those days... :(

yuri27
05-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Gasquet is supposed to be an athlete. Less whining about not getting a Tuesday start, more dedication to fitness training, Richard!

Totally agree with that!

River
05-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Damn Richard, you had it. But when your body shuts down you could only fight against it for so long.

Lots of positives to take out of this match for Gasquet. I don't care what anyone says, Murray was getting pounded, but his stamina proved beneficial. Murray should be proud of his conditioning, but stamina alone isn't going to win RG, especially with such a passive game. Richard was clearly down and out near the end of the second set. As far as confidence goes, Murray really doesn't have anything positive to take out of this match other than the fact that his condition is superb. But that's nothing to improve on; his skill set, however, was getting pounded.

Good luck to Murray (He's gonna need it)
Rest up Richie!

yuri27
05-24-2010, 10:30 PM
Gasquet's backhand is certainly more spectacular. It breaks down a hell of a lot more, however.

If you can give me some example of matches where his BH broke-down without having anything to do with his fitness then you're welcome.
I don't really remember a match he lost because of his BH.
Of course,his backhand can be exposed against big moonballers(like Nadal) as it is a one-hander but not to the point of breaking down like it has often happened with Federer for instance(but of course,Federer had other weapons to make up for it).

Duncan
05-24-2010, 10:44 PM
Richard ran out of steam.

For 2 and a half sets that was an awesome tennis match!

Glad Andy made it through.

Vida
05-24-2010, 11:12 PM
on this surface the main advantage murray has (1st serve) got negated and he was clearly exposed as an inferior player skill-wise. as it is, it doesnt matter much, as seen in the score.

beside the point, I think what would work for gasquet in the future is to wear sunglasses on court, I really mean it. he would look by far more intimidating, menacing and that - it would put some fear into his opponents, like 'wow, look at this guy, hes gotta be crazy since he doesnt need them, who knows whats he thinking' :shrug: also saying random, irrelevant stuff at the press conference might help.

this way, you just look at him, and you know he knows hes going to blow it, and thats a big minus I reckon.

yuri27
05-24-2010, 11:15 PM
on this surface the main advantage murray has (1st serve) got negated and he was clearly exposed as an inferior player skill-wise. as it is, it doesnt matter much, as seen in the score.

beside the point, I think what would work for gasquet in the future is to wear sunglasses on court, I really mean it. he would look by far more intimidating, menacing and that - it would put some fear into his opponents, like 'wow, look at this guy, hes gotta be crazy since he doesnt need them, who knows whats he thinking' :shrug: also saying random, irrelevant stuff at the press conference might help.

this way, you just look at him, and you know he knows hes going to blow it, and thats a big minus I reckon.

Not in the first set though.
He saved plenty of BPs only because of his first serve

_Shonen_
05-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Gasquet had to win it in 3 or not at all, and credit to him for coming close. I hope this is a genuine sign of re-emergence for such a talented underachiever.

my0118
05-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I knew it was coming when he couldn't solidate the break in the third set.
Too bad he was run out of gas due to the schedule he got, but I think his fitness still needs improving.

Congrats Andy.

andylovesaustin
05-25-2010, 12:03 AM
:awww:

Bummer..

I thought Gasquet might just take it.

I agree with you all, it was take it in three or not at all. Yeah.. he just ran out of steam..

Well... heck... Nice welcome back to Gasquet for playing as well as he did the first 2 1/2 sets. :bigclap:

And congrats to.. :unsure: Andy Murray for hanging in there for the win... :help:

paseo
05-25-2010, 12:31 AM
I really liked Gasquet aggressive all court game here, but I don't like his attitude. Yeah maybe he's tired. But didn't need to make it so obvious to everyone, it's like he's saying "I'm losing because I'm tired, here.". Well, I don't care, Richard, you're a professional athlete. Deal with it!

All being said, I knew Murray would pull off the win.

yuri27
05-25-2010, 12:36 AM
I really liked Gasquet aggressive all court game here, but I don't like his attitude. Yeah maybe he's tired. But didn't need to make it so obvious to everyone, it's like he's saying "I'm losing because I'm tired, here.". Well, I don't care, Richard, you're a professional athlete. Deal with it!

Yeah and what makes it even more stupid is that it gives his opponents reasons to believe,even when they are in big trouble.
Even if he is tired,he should really try to hide it as much as possible.

FlameOn
05-25-2010, 12:41 AM
Thanks for avenging Verdasco Murray. ;)

coonster14
05-25-2010, 01:07 AM
gasquet was exhausted, but well done andy murray! gear up for the grass courts richie :)

Oriental_Rain
05-25-2010, 01:33 AM
Richie:bigcry:

KarlyM
05-25-2010, 02:27 AM
I feel kinda bad for Gasquet. :awww: He unfortunately didn't have enough energy left after the 3rd set. I give him props for at least finishing the match. I hope he gets a better draw for Wimbledon. :)

whattheheck
05-25-2010, 02:41 AM
Gasquet was exhausted but you can't blame it on playing the challenger and Nice, because who knew he would've won both tournaments. The good thing about this is that we know he's on the right track to get to his best game again. Just wish that the organizers delayed this match to Tuesday.

Mimi
05-25-2010, 02:41 AM
oh god, i turned off the tv and went to sleep after seeing gasquet winning the first 2 sets, thinking he would winl, but now, poor richie:o

littleash
05-25-2010, 02:44 AM
gasquet :rolleyes: time to *party* i guess. :o

The Freak
05-25-2010, 02:53 AM
The better player lost..

Deivid23
05-25-2010, 03:34 AM
Wow, even you acknowledge he played well. I knew he had to do it in straights, he didn't. so be it.

Why "even you"? Not being a nuthugger of his doesn´t imply I have tainted glasses. When he plays well, he plays well, when he plays crap or shows up as a lazy idiot I say it as well.

Geo
05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Gasquet clearly choked and was physically/mentally tired by the end of the match :lol: :o :help: Murray was gifted the last 2 sets.

it's too bad Gasquet couldn't keep up his level from the 1st 2 sets, as he was bossing Murray around.

Langers
05-25-2010, 03:41 AM
Gasquet. :lol: Another 2 sets to nil lead thrown away.

collo1978
05-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Gasquet clearly choked and was physically/mentally tired by the end of the match :lol: :o :help: Murray was gifted the last 2 sets.

it's too bad Gasquet couldn't keep up his level from the 1st 2 sets, as he was bossing Murray around.

The amount of effort Gasquet puts into that backhand, he was shotting it off hoping that it would be a winner everytime ha. What does it say about Murray the fact that he scrapes through and he is match fit

Clydey
05-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Damn Richard, you had it. But when your body shuts down you could only fight against it for so long.

Lots of positives to take out of this match for Gasquet. I don't care what anyone says, Murray was getting pounded, but his stamina proved beneficial. Murray should be proud of his conditioning, but stamina alone isn't going to win RG, especially with such a passive game. Richard was clearly down and out near the end of the second set. As far as confidence goes, Murray really doesn't have anything positive to take out of this match other than the fact that his condition is superb. But that's nothing to improve on; his skill set, however, was getting pounded.

Good luck to Murray (He's gonna need it)
Rest up Richie!

Murray was getting pounded? Hilarious. The difference in the first two sets was a single break.

Action Jackson
05-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Breathe Clydey, just admire those thick legs.

Clydey
05-25-2010, 05:18 AM
If you can give me some example of matches where his BH broke-down without having anything to do with his fitness then you're welcome.
I don't really remember a match he lost because of his BH.
Of course,his backhand can be exposed against big moonballers(like Nadal) as it is a one-hander but not to the point of breaking down like it has often happened with Federer for instance(but of course,Federer had other weapons to make up for it).

I can't remember specific matches. However, you're deluded if you think it's always firing like it was in the first 2 sets yesterday.

Turquoise
05-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Gasquet literally played out of his mind the first two sets. It was the right strategy to play agressively from the word go, put Murray on the back foot and try to win in straights. He almost pulled it off, but in the end his body let him down. Although I'm a Murray fan, I could not help but applaud Gasquet for his audaciously brilliant shotmaking, and those backhands were simply a thing of beauty. I really enjoyed all the drama in that match. In the end, Murray deserves credit for winning - not only on account of his stronger physical conditioning, but by sheer force of will. He earns my respect more because of the latter.

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-25-2010, 07:36 AM
good match, props to murray for hanging there. Richie is so physically weak, happens in every 5 setter he plays atm

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-25-2010, 07:39 AM
Gasquet is always not fit enough. against haas,gonzo,murray x2 ad youzhny he has thrown 2 sets to love leads away. IVe seen him ive in 2 of those matches and he had complete control in the first sets then he starts to walk funny as though his leg is hurting + looks tired. Hes needs to do some proper fitness training asap!!

moon language
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
Too bad for Gasquet, he gassed out. Watching the replay right now. I think he should have found a way (to win) regardless.

FormerRafaFan
05-25-2010, 09:36 AM
Gasquet is always not fit enough. against haas,gonzo,murray x2 ad youzhny he has thrown 2 sets to love leads away. IVe seen him ive in 2 of those matches and he had complete control in the first sets then he starts to walk funny as though his leg is hurting + looks tired. Hes needs to do some proper fitness training asap!!

I think it had more to do with the Nice tourney this time. He was obviously exhausted, and it showed. He wanted to move the match to tuesday, and there's a reason for that. I feel bad for him. He did play really well before his body couldn't take it anymore. Seemed like he had some problems with his back in the fifth set too.

gusavo
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Have to give Murray real credit here. He just hung in there and didn't give up after being totally outplayed for 2 1/4 sets
thats one hell of an outplay, I think it was like 85-78 after two sets.

He was well on the way of losing and it took Richard to choke/fatigue/collapse to actually pull Murray through.
of course not, he could have won without it obviously and he obviously could have won any of the sets.

I wouldn't boast about the actual tennis level of Andy, because it was clear who was winning in that battle, and it wasn't Murray.
how is it relevant that he was losing to what his level of play was

If it helps, our commentators said Gasquet would've probably won if the match was played tomorrow instead of today..

no, he was not the favourite!

I knew he would not win if it went beyond three sets.
no, nobody knew that...

Navratil
05-25-2010, 10:55 AM
How many times did Gasquet lose a match after winning the first two sets?

Just like Petzschner... :-(

Sunfire
05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Gasquet... still couldn't close the 5th set bad luck.
But amazing play from him for the 2,5 sets.
Still believe at him.
Get a better stamina for the grass season Richard

Sham Kay
05-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Everyone keeps saying Gasquet basically completely dominated Murray in the first 2 sets. I honestly didnt see that, they were both playing at a high level, but Gasquet was better and his shots and winners were of course flashier.

Does anyone know the winners to unforced errors ratio and the total points won in the first 2 sets of both players? I'm certain its won't show complete domination.

andylovesaustin
05-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Everyone keeps saying Gasquet basically completely dominated Murray in the first 2 sets. I honestly didnt see that, they were both playing at a high level, but Gasquet was better and his shots and winners were of course flashier.

Does anyone know the winners to unforced errors ratio and the total points won in the first 2 sets of both players? I'm certain its won't show complete domination.

I'm not sure about being "dominated." The score doesn't indicate Gasquet "dominated" Murray. I don't think Gasquet was broken in the first two sets, right? I think Murray had only a couple of break chances if any. :shrug:

Gasquet was just beating him. Plus, Gasquet was just playing beautifully.

He just couldn't sustain it through the course of a 5-set match.

I think a lot of players have this problem, actually.

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 12:11 PM

accordingto the RG site:

first set:
Gasquet 15 winners, 7 UEs
Murray 13 Minners, 13 UEs

second set:
Gasquet: 23 winners, 10 UEs
Murray: 14 winners, 11 UEs

philosophicalarf
05-25-2010, 12:18 PM

Yes - it's quite interesting to me how a lot of people are overly wowed by a few dramatic shots. Beautiful at times yes, but what of the actual end product? Gasquet only broke once in the opening two sets, and that was a complete donation, a simple choke at the end of the set (Murray doublefaulted, dumped an easyish volley into net, then on setpoint missed an easy high volley winner). On top of that, Murray held for a tiebreak in the 2nd set serving only 39%.

Does anyone know the winner s to unforced errors ratio and the total points won in the first 2 sets of both players? I'm certain its won't show complete domination.

cumulative sets one+two (Murray/Gasquet)

Winners excluding serve: 22 / 30
Errors: 24 / 17
First serve %: 44 / 54
1s points won%: 67 / 74
2s points won%: 62 / 61
Aces: 5 / 8
Breaks: 0 / 1

As can be seen from the minimal difference in Murray's 1s/2s win figures, he was getting almost no advantage from first serve at all, but was still winning enough points in the rally beyond it.

Not enough has been said about how well Gasquet was serving - particularly in the 2nd set, where Murray won more points before the tiebreak, but was being held off by Gasquet's bombs (7 aces that set).

asmazif
05-25-2010, 12:26 PM
so utterly predictable.

Clydey
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
Yes - it's quite interesting to me how a lot of people are overly wowed by a few dramatic shots. Beautiful at times yes, but what of the actual end product? Gasquet only broke once in the opening two sets, and that was a complete donation, a simple choke at the end of the set (Murray doublefaulted, dumped an easyish volley into net, then on setpoint missed an easy high volley winner). On top of that, Murray held for a tiebreak in the 2nd set serving only 39%.

cumulative sets one+two (Murray/Gasquet)

Winners excluding serve: 22 / 30
Errors: 24 / 17
First serve %: 44 / 54
1s points won%: 67 / 74
2s points won%: 62 / 61
Aces: 5 / 8
Breaks: 0 / 1

As can be seen from the minimal difference in Murray's 1s/2s win figures, he was getting almost no advantage from first serve at all, but was still winning enough points in the rally beyond it.

Not enough has been said about how well Gasquet was serving - particularly in the 2nd set, where Murray won more points before the tiebreak, but was being held off by Gasquet's bombs (7 aces that set).

Yeah, I'm surprised no one else mentioned Gasquet's clutch serving. Lost count of how many tight situations it got him out of.

Start da Game
05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
gasclown lacks killer instinct.......i don't give a damn about what he won last week.......

Puschkin
05-25-2010, 03:31 PM
i don't give a damn about what he won last week.......
Who cares about you giving a damn whatsoever?

That's what the person concerned had to say:
http://www.rolandgarros.com/fr_FR/news/interviews/2010-05-24/201005241274731518865.html

Q. Tu aurais échangé ta finale à Nice contre une victoire aujourd'hui ?
R. Non, sincèrement, je préfère gagner une finale qu'ici. Je suis content d'avoir un niveau de jeu comme j'ai eu dernièrement, car je ne jouais pas bien à Monaco. A Barcelone c'était moyen. Là, je rejoue bien. Je suis content par rapport à cela. Entre gagner une finale et le premier tour ici, après, cela dépend où tu vas dans le tableau, mais faire une troisième tour et gagner une finale… j'aurais été content de gagner, mais j'étais heureux de jouer à Roland Garros avec du public, je suis sorti du court, les gens étaient sympas, cela m'a fait beaucoup plaisir.

Q. Would you have changed your final in Nice against a win today?
No, sincerely I prefer winning a final to [winning] here. I am pleased with the level of play I had recently, because I did not play well in Monte Carlo. In Barcelona it was average. Here, I played well....winning a final or a first tour here, it depends after all where you are in the draw, but making a third round and [or] winning a final.... I would have been pleased to win, but I was happy to play in RG with the crowd, when I left the court, the people have been nice, this gave me great pleasure.

He knew he would not go far in RG, after playing non stop for two weeks, but he needed the points and he scored almost as much as a QF in RG by winning Bordeaux and Nice. Going up in the ranking is essential, if you know that Eastbourne refused him a WC. And for those with short memories: Eastbourne is the successor to Nottingham, a tournament that Richard has won twice!

chewy
05-25-2010, 03:39 PM
I really couldn't predict this match up before but was kinda rooting for Gasquet just so he could get some monkeys off his back. Well at least he did well coming in to RG to face a tough 1st rounder.
Great win by Murray too.

Corey Feldman
05-25-2010, 08:28 PM
completely undeserved win, should take no glory from it

still horribe attitude as well from Murray, complaining and moaning when someone is hitting winners off your pushy shots, what do you expect?

unreal

xelena
05-26-2010, 12:23 AM
This was a beautiful & great match worth of a semi-final level...

It was such a revelation and pleasure too see what Gasquet had to offer..since even before the long absence, he never really showed much at RG or clay in general. Loved his bh , the choice of shots, strategy..

Murray showed some high level tennis and it's only now that I saw how he executes those passing shots.. he possesses this extremely rare technique and I'm in a total admiration of his tennis.
i've noticed a funny thing: there is no country other than english speking ones, that can pronounce the surname Murray . the french prounce it ,smth like "moorei" spanish smth like "maarheai" germans "moourae" .. :))

Aenea
05-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I just saw this match and I am wondering why is clay Murray's worst surface. He is quick, has a pretty solid defence, can keep long rallies, runs down every ball and has very good passingshots and lobs, when given the chance he goes into attacking. What is in his game that prevents him from being good on clay? Is it his movement?

As for the match it was entertaining. It was pretty obvious Gasquet was exhausted in the 5th and couldn't even move.

green25814
05-26-2010, 04:12 PM
I just saw this match and I am wondering why is clay Murray's worst surface. He is quick, has a pretty solid defence, can keep long rallies, runs down every ball and has very good passingshots and lobs, when given the chance he goes into attacking. What is in his game that prevents him from being good on clay? Is it his movement?

As for the match it was entertaining. It was pretty obvious Gasquet was exhausted in the 5th and couldn't even move.

I think the biggest problem for Murray on clay is the overuse of the slice. It works well on grass/hardcourt, but on clay it just sits up and begs to be hit. He's also not used to moving on clay.

Sophocles
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM

He's a counter-puncher though, a bit in the Hewitt mould, albeit with more weapons. He thrives off his opponent's pace - muted on clay - & isn't so good at generating his own, which is harder to do on clay anyway.

Aenea
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I think the biggest problem for Murray on clay is the overuse of the slice. It works well on grass/hardcourt, but on clay it just sits up and begs to be hit. He's also not used to moving on clay.

Yeah, the movement, I thought as much. Slice, maybe.

Lopez
05-26-2010, 07:09 PM

A couple of resons.

He likes to take balls on the rise, especially on the attack. This is difficult on clay.

Biggest issue is though that his natural (attacking) game isn't about generating your own pace, rather than utilizing the opponent's pace and changing the direction of the ball. On quicker surfaces counterpunching will be quick enough to get a winner or a forced error. Clay is slower and thus these shots aren't as effective. On clay you have to generate your own pace.

Also on slower surfaces players have more time to return and can run around the poor second serve, unleash their forehands and start dominating the rally.

Aenea
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh thank you very much for this explanation, Lopez. :wavey: very useful.