Joe Wilfred Tsonga - A Technical discussion [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Joe Wilfred Tsonga - A Technical discussion

laurie-1
05-23-2010, 11:48 PM
The first time I saw Tsonga play was Wimbledon 2007 on Court 18 against Feliciano Lopez. I admit I never heard of him before the match but after 90 minutes of stunning Tennis, I was convinced this was a future star in the making. Lopez was very accepting at the end of the match at the net, looking Tsonga in the eye with an approving shake of the head that he was outplayed fair and square. The Spanish contingent sitting next to me also had no complaints.

Just a few months later Joe would get to the Aussie Open final thrashing Nadal in the semifinal. Tsonga also won Paris Bercy in 2008 and would give a good account of himself at the World Championships in Shanghai.

What impressed me in 2007 was his power, his movement and athleticism, his big serve and ground strokes, and willingness to get to net and serve and volley occasionally to mix things up.

This year I’ve noticed during the Australian Open that he doesn’t quite look right to me, the ball seems to fly on him often and he doesn’t have the same control and power he had before. Of course he’s always been slightly inconsistent but he must be readjusting to a different type of racquet. I don’t think it’s a paint job because the head size is noticeably bigger.

So I would like to ask this question and get your opinion – now that Joe uses a Babolat racquet which is different in many ways to the Wilson midsize he was using previously; does the Babolat complement the style of Tennis that Tsonga wants to play?

green25814
05-23-2010, 11:52 PM
Injuries.

He's been trying to play more cautiously to extend his career, the babolat racquet is part of this too.

kooties
05-24-2010, 01:40 AM
You also have to take into account that Tsonga is also a player who lives off the crowd (hence he always does better in french tournaments).

Also babolat rackets usually do more spin so it makes his shots more consistent. Although it does take away a bit of power Jo is strong enough that he can generate enough racket speed with his arm which is good, but at the same time terrifying for his fans (or maybe just me) as everytime he does a massive forehand, he seems like a ticking time bomb for a shoulder injury.

out_here_grindin
06-07-2010, 02:36 AM
I wil very interested to see how Tsonga does on the grass this year. He only won one match last year at Wimbledon, a 4 setter over Golubev. Not exactly a great result.

Johnny Groove
06-07-2010, 02:39 AM
He should use a Head Prestige.

Something in between the Wilson and the Babolat.

DualMedia
06-07-2010, 04:01 AM

tsonga is endorsed by babolat! so babolat!

ossie
06-07-2010, 09:29 AM
journeyman

oranges
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
journeyman

Indeed

nO6lalt5f6M

Pirata.
06-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Indeed

nO6lalt5f6M

Brilliant from Jo.

But what the hell was that smash by Rafa at 2:05?!?!? :spit:

nevenez
06-07-2010, 09:52 AM
The racquet has nothing to do with talent and the results.

oranges
06-07-2010, 09:56 AM
The racquet has nothing to do with talent and the results.

Well, it has nothing to do with innate talent, but it surely has a lot do with results. They don't pick them randomly, but to suit their game for a reason :lol:

ossie
06-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Indeed

nO6lalt5f6M
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Players/Head-To-Head.aspx?pId=N409&oId=T786
indeed indeed

sheva07
06-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Jo got such a great potential. I'll hope he achieves lot of big results next years.

Everko
10-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok player. Too much mental instability to be too good. Also his tactics are some of the worst in the pro level

Certinfy
10-27-2010, 08:48 PM
He's capable of some unreal tennis as seen in that video just posted.

HKz
10-27-2010, 09:07 PM

Yes. The switch to Babolat could certainly be a factor.

I mean personally, I always wondered why Tsonga switched when things were looking fine. Especially because the KBlade and Aeropro Drive GT play quite differently. His serve has seemingly lost some pace, his groundstrokes aren't as penetrating as it used to be and he does not approach the net as often. Of course this could just be my perception. He could after all be hitting harder/approaching the net just as much, but I wouldn't know since obviously I don't have the statistics.

Then we could also say, why should we complain? Since 2009, he has made what, one semifinal, two quarterfinals, three 4th rounds, and one 3rd rounds? That is pretty solid for a player hovering around the top 10. I mean we can't expect him to be making semifinals/finals, because obviously Nadal/Federer/Djokovic/Murray are expected to take these spots. You can't fit 5 people in semifinals now.

San Rosso
10-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Brilliant from Jo.

But what the hell was that smash by Rafa at 2:05?!?!? :spit:

He wanted to imitate Sampras by doing a Dunk Smash, but failed horribly.

Topspindoctor
10-28-2010, 12:33 AM
Why are people linking that 2008 Nadal match? It was once in a lifetime performance and lots of lucky shots. Nadal owns Clownga in last several meetings and H2H. I wish people would keep that in mind.

shiaben
10-28-2010, 12:54 AM
Tsonga had a potential to be a Nadal killer, he really gave him a rough time during those 2 or so years. After then, he just faded into oblivion. I think Tsonga was just a 1 time show. I don't think he we'll see much of him anymore. In recent times, he looks exhausted even in the small tournaments, not appropriate for a young player of his age.

HKz
10-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Tsonga had a potential to be a Nadal killer, he really gave him a rough time during those 2 or so years. After then, he just faded into oblivion. I think Tsonga was just a 1 time show. I don't think he we'll see much of him anymore. In recent times, he looks exhausted even in the small tournaments, not appropriate for a young player of his age.

Tsonga was like either 5-1 or 5-2 up in the third set against Nadal at Indian Wells after Tsonga had beaten him at the Australian Open. After he choked and lost that match, he just hasn't had the mental strength to beat him anymore it seems.

Yukimura
10-28-2010, 03:31 AM
I really love watching this guy playing! Hope someday he becomes a little more consistent.

Blackbriar
10-28-2010, 08:04 AM
Why are people linking that 2008 Nadal match? It was once in a lifetime performance and lots of lucky shots. Nadal owns Clownga in last several meetings and H2H. I wish people would keep that in mind.

So true. Some people, in particular french medias, are completely delusional about this clown. They think that Tsonga is the next big thing just because he beat Nadal once... 3 years ago :eek: I mean come on, Rafa never, ever, lost a single match to Tsonga afterward. Even worst, Nadal won the AO the following year, Tsonga obviously, was not there anymore.
Tsonga is just a lambda player who made a big hit when he arrived in top 50 and that's it. By now other top players have learned how to play him and outplay him: just torture his backhand and play cross shots, because is so fat and slow.

He said that he will play a great clay season. French Medias, L'Equipe in particular, were completely over-hyping about it, talking about first clay title, MS finals and maybe something huge at French Open:rolleyes: Typical pro-Tsonga BS.
We have seen the result: 0 final, 1 MS quarterfinal and 2 retirements (including French Open). You would have hard time finding ONE negative article about his clay season, even though it was a complete letdown. They just keep bashing Gasquet as usual.

HKz
10-28-2010, 08:15 AM
So true. Some people, in particular french medias, are completely delusional about this clown. They think that Tsonga is the next big thing just because he beat Nadal once... 3 years ago :eek: I mean come on, Rafa never, ever, lost a single match to Tsonga afterward. Even worst, Nadal won the AO the following year, Tsonga obviously, was not there anymore.
Tsonga is just a lambda player who made a big hit when he arrived in top 50 and that's it. By now other top players have learned how to play him and outplay him: just torture his backhand and play cross shots, because is so fat and slow.

He said that he will play a great clay season. French Medias, L'Equipe in particular, were completely over-hyping about it, talking about first clay title, MS finals and maybe something huge at French Open:rolleyes: Typical pro-Tsonga BS.
We have seen the result: 0 final, 1 MS quarterfinal and 2 retirements (including French Open). You would have hard time finding ONE negative article about his clay season, even though it was a complete letdown. They just keep bashing Gasquet as usual.

Tsonga had the chance to capitalize on his Australian Open win. Did you not watch his match against Nadal at Indian Wells just a few months afterwards? Had he would have won that match, I think his current H2H would be a different story against Nadal. Obviously we wouldn't know, but clearly it did appear to hurt him mentally losing that match after being up 5-1 or 5-2 in the third set.

I don't know what your issue is with him. Statistically he is the best the French have to offer right now, and the most consistent. I mean what, he is the only active French player, other than old man Arnaud, to actually have been in a Grand Slam final and the only French player to actually win a Masters Series title. And it isn't like his deep run was a fluke. Clearly he can make it to the second week of slams pretty consistently. From there, anything really goes.

I love how people complain about all these professional players asking why they aren't in more finals/semifinals/etc. Last I checked, only two can be a final, four can be in the semifinals, etc. There HAS to be someone who loses.

Tsonga's results have been fine.

Blackbriar
10-28-2010, 08:24 AM
oh I'm not complaining, I'm happy he is bombing lately. just prove how overhyped he was for almost 3 years. When you read L'Equipe that calls him a Hero, it gets really pathetic when the guys is atomized in 3 sets by Federer the next day.
the fact that he could vulture a cheap title like Montpellier this week would not change anything.
IF he was one of the best, then he would play the WTF.

HKz
10-28-2010, 08:28 AM
oh I'm not complaining, I'm happy he is bombing lately. just prove how overhyped he was for almost 3 years. When you read L'Equipe that calls him a Hero, it gets really pathetic when the guys is atomized in 3 sets by Federer the next day.
the fact that he could vulture a cheap title like Montpellier this week would not change anything.
IF he was one of the best, then he would play the WTF.

So would you rather have the "hero" status go to some other French player? I don't see the issue with calling him France's tennis hero. Again, he is the only French player other than Arnaud to have been in a GS final, and the only one with a Master Series title. If my country's tennis players are not doing good, and a player comes and gets results similar to Tsonga's, I certainly wouldn't think that title is undeserved.

Look, again you can't expect him to be making finals/semifinals, there are only spots for 2 players in the end which clearly isn't enough for Federer/Nadal/Murray/Djokovic/Tsonga/etc to all fit in, which is apparently how MTF thinks.

Blackbriar
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM
Look, again you can't expect him to be making finals/semifinals, there are only spots for 2 players in the end which clearly isn't enough for Federer/Nadal/Murray/Djokovic/Tsonga/etc to all fit in, which is apparently how MTF thinks.

:spit: please don't mix Tsonga with these champions, he has nothing to do them.

yuri27
10-28-2010, 09:32 AM

Not to mention Nadal was fairly crap in that match,hitting loads of short balls which any decent ball basher would have taken advantage of(the Djoker for example)

yuri27
10-28-2010, 09:39 AM

Tsonga was never hyped very much before becoming a pro and considering that,he has done very well,winning a M1000,making a GS final and a GS 1/2 final.
Gasquet on the other hand was hyped as a certain future grand slam winner at the tender age of 9 and since then,the best he's done is to make a GS 1/2 final and........to win M250 titles!

And then you dare asking why the french press keep bashing Gasquet and not Tsonga??

Murray,a champion??:eek:

HKz
10-28-2010, 09:40 AM

.... Are you not reading the whole comment? I'm saying you act like you expect him to be getting in these situations when clearly there isn't enough room. He obviously has the best stats out of all the Frenchman, so whatever is his hype or status over there is, it is deserved in my opinion.

Blackbriar
10-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Tsonga was never hyped very much before becoming a pro and considering that,he has done very well,winning a M1000,making a GS final and a GS 1/2 final.
Gasquet on the other hand was hyped as a certain future grand slam winner at the tender age of 9 and since then,the best he's done is to make a GS 1/2 final and........to win M250 titles!
And then you dare asking why the french press keep bashing Gasquet and not Tsonga??

French Sport Press, which is utter crap, destroyed Gasquet by over-hyping him and scruting ever little weakness to down him.
The fact that you like reading this shit only prove that you are delighted with shit, which is your right after all. Gasquet is not a champion, and i never said he was, he is just a great player. BUT, Press keep hyping Tsonga into the next Noah, which is absolute nonsense.

if you want stats to make an opinion:
Tsonga at 25:
6 finals
5 titles
1 GS final
1 MS title

Noah at 25:
25 finals
17 titles
1 GS title
5 or 6 titles equivalent to MS

Noah was a champion, like Nadal, Alonso, Federer, Bolt, Loeb etc. Tsonga is no champion.

HKz
10-28-2010, 10:02 AM
French Sport Press, which is utter crap, destroyed Gasquet by over-hyping him and scruting ever little weakness to down him.
The fact that you like reading this shit only prove that you are delighted with shit, which is your right after all. Gasquet is not a champion, and i never said he was, he is just a great player. BUT, Press keep hyping Tsonga into the next Noah, which is absolute nonsense.

if you want stats to make an opinion:
Tsonga at 25:
6 finals
5 titles
1 GS final
1 MS title

Noah at 25:
25 finals
17 titles
1 GS title
5 or 6 titles equivalent to MS

Noah was a champion, like Nadal, Alonso, Federer, Bolt, Loeb etc. Tsonga is no champion.

All right, let the media say how shitty they are, how they fill never be like Noah and destroy their confidence. Better idea.

Again, NOT EVERYONE CAN WIN SLAMS, SOMEONE HAS TO LOSE. You must have an issue.

yuri27
10-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Actually,believe it or not,the hype was justified back then.
There had never been a teenager as precocious and gifted as him in french tennis before.
For example,at 8-9,he was beating 14-16 years old players!
And he became the youngest junior world champion ever(before D.Young came into the scene) with Nadal being in the same category of age and managed to beat a peak Federer at 18 blastering him with winners.
So yes,the hype was definitely justified back then.
What the french press and almost everyone in the tennis world didn't predict though was that Gasquet would become such a mental midget.