Rainy and Cool RG [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rainy and Cool RG

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 07:30 AM
Starting Tuesday, the weather will most likely be rainy and cool for most of the tournament. Not sure who this favors. I think Nadal prefers warm and dry conditions. Especially against players he can overpower and get the ball high on them. I don't see any big servers on Nadal's side so this might be a disadvantage. Also I think Fed prefers these conditions as Gulbis or Soderling are less likely to hurt Fed due to their serve getting neutralized and Fed keeping the ball low on them. Djokovic we know likes cool.

BlueSwan
05-23-2010, 07:37 AM
Rainy, cold, sunny, hot, snowy, windy. Doesn't really matter much to the eventual outcome: Nadal wins RG.

However, the slower (wet, cold) conditions the more you would expect traditional claycourters to go deep as opposed to ballbashers.

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 07:48 AM
Rainy, cold, sunny, hot, snowy, windy. Doesn't really matter much to the eventual outcome: Nadal wins RG.

However, the slower (wet, cold) conditions the more you would expect traditional claycourters to go deep as opposed to ballbashers.
True. No ballbashers on Nadal's side though. Most like to grind and are more towards traditional claycourters. And Fed is more of a traditional clalcourter than Soderling or Gulbis. I do think it makes a difference but not a big difference.

n8
05-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Weather is actually a very important factor. In 1996 the courts played very fast (I think partially due to the weather) and the semi-finalists where Sampras, Kafelnikov, Rosset and Stich! It makes a big difference at Wimbledon too.

BlueSwan
05-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Weather is actually a very important factor. In 1996 the courts played very fast (I think partially due to the weather) and the semi-finalists where Sampras, Kafelnikov, Rosset and Stich! It makes a big difference at Wimbledon too.
Oh, I totally agree, but seeing that Nadal won't encounter the ballbashers he typical has issues with, it won't make a huge difference to the eventual outcome this year: Nadal wins.

If, on the other hand, Nadal was to face Gulbis or Soderling early on, it could have made a difference.

gusavo
05-23-2010, 11:13 AM

oh, how likely?

Sillyrabbit
05-23-2010, 12:06 PM
But won't cool and rainy mean the court is likely to soak up more moisture thereby making it sticky and damp which in turn makes it slower which I guess Nadal likes?

Matt01
05-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Just seeing the weather forecast from BBC, it says that it will be mostly warm and sunny until the end of the week with the one exception of Wednesday.

Persimmon
05-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Ditto for 2009: and the semi-finalists were all players whose best surface are the hardcourts not a coincidence. Del Potro, Soderling, Federer and Gonzo all play their best on the hardcourts.

Commander Data
05-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Just seeing the weather forecast from BBC, it says that it will be mostly warm and sunny until the end of the week with the one exception of Wednesday.

lol@this thread

Since when are weather forcasts reliabale for more then 3-5 days?

andy neyer
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
Starting Tuesday, the weather will most likely be rainy and cool for most of the tournament. Not sure who this favors. I think Nadal prefers warm and dry conditions. Especially against players he can overpower and get the ball high on them. I don't see any big servers on Nadal's side so this might be a disadvantage. Also I think Fed prefers these conditions as Gulbis or Soderling are less likely to hurt Fed due to their serve getting neutralized and Fed keeping the ball low on them. Djokovic we know likes cool.

As a general rule:

Rainy and cool makes the courts slow. That favours Nadal.

Dry and sunny wheather makes the courts faster.

-Valhalla-
05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Rainy and cool makes the courts slow. That favours Nadal.

And when it's hot the ball really jumps and that also favors Nadal.

Either way his opponents are fucked :lol:

collo1978
05-23-2010, 02:09 PM
And when it's hot the ball really jumps and that also favors Nadal.

Either way his opponents are fucked :lol:

haha, there all fucked if the crts are slow. nadal will have all the time in world to spank the ball like no one else. the ball will be egg shaped

philosophicalarf
05-23-2010, 02:27 PM
For Nadal, ideal weather depends on the opponent - against opponents with big groundstrokes he wants it slower, against single handed backhands higher bounce is ideal.

This year his best tennis was at Monte Carlo, and over the years that's always been his best tournament.

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 05:15 PM
lol The weather changed drastically in the last 15 hours. It had like 60% chance of rain for like 6 straight days yesterday. Nadal played his best 2 matches ever at RG in cool and humid conditions but with no rain. I'll hope for that I guess.

Selby
05-23-2010, 06:17 PM
I need a good explanation of the conditions in Roland Garros please. What happens when it's hot and dry, what happens when it's colder? when is it more slippery? who does it favour?

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I need a good explanation of the conditions in Roland Garros please. What happens when it's hot and dry, what happens when it's colder? when is it more slippery? who does it favour?
The ball goes through the air quicker and the ball bounces higher when it is hot and dry. The courts dry up and get more slippery on claycourts. Thus making the serve much more effective and the big hitters can finish points quicker. There are some exceptions like Federer's one-handed backhand. He struggles when the ball is up high on that side and can press too much because of it. So it is a dilemma whether Federer does better in fast conditions or slow conditions. Really RG is the worst type of clay for him imo. He would rather have a court with less bounce and more of an indoor environment like Madrid. At least when he plays Nadal.

Selby
05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
The ball goes through the air quicker and the ball bounces higher when it is hot and dry. The courts dry up and get more slippery on claycourts. Thus making the serve much more effective and the big hitters can finish points quicker. There are some exceptions like Federer's one-handed backhand. He struggles when the ball is up high on that side and can press too much because of it. So it is a dilemma whether Federer does better in fast conditions or slow conditions. Really RG is the worst type of clay for him imo. He would rather have a court with less bounce and more of an indoor environment like Madrid. At least when he plays Nadal.

Thanks.
From what I understand although the conditions are faster in hot conditions the movement is harder so clay courters have an advantage in hot conditions too.

philosophicalarf
05-23-2010, 06:43 PM
So it is a dilemma whether Federer does better in fast conditions or slow conditions. Really RG is the worst type of clay for him imo. He would rather have a court with less bounce and more of an indoor environment like Madrid. At least when he plays Nadal.

There's one ideal clay court for him, fastish and lowish bounce.

Trouble is, it's Barcelona, Nadal's home event :-)

andy neyer
05-23-2010, 06:48 PM
There's one ideal clay court for him, fastish and lowish bounce.

Trouble is, it's Barcelona, Nadal's home event :-)

Well, Djokovic beat Federer in the final of Basel last year :)

But I don't see Federer playing Barna in the future.

Mateya
05-23-2010, 07:01 PM
Looking at this forecast, weather will be very pleasant with some showers here and there...

http://www4.slikomat.com/10/0523/8nm-New-Bi.jpg

Let's pray it sticks this way and not get worse. :worship: :worship: