NCAA R16 wrap: Oklahoma stuns (3) Texas 4-2, #1 seed, defending champs roll to QFs [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NCAA R16 wrap: Oklahoma stuns (3) Texas 4-2, #1 seed, defending champs roll to QFs

Ozone
05-23-2010, 02:33 AM
Quarterfinals will be played Sunday!!

Unseeded Oklahoma, who upset (14) Texas Tech in the 2nd round, stunned 3 seed and title contender Texas last night in Athens, Georgia.

After a big blow in doubles to go down 0-1, #74 Paval came back strong at #3 singles and beat Texas' #99 Damico 64 61. Texas regained the lead with there #1 man Kutrovsky (#10) defeating the Sooner's #1 Daescu (#28). Oklahoma answered, with a big upset at #2 with #65 Beleleu beating #20 Ed Corrie 64 63:eek:

With the match a 2-2 playing the #3 Longhorns, Oklahoma had to do something magical.

At #4, OU's Pultr beat Texas's #4 Andersen in a clutch 76 76 battle. It was a huge match that gave the unseeded Sooners the lead.

Freshman Lawrence Formentera fought for his team when it mattered, and won an epic 26, 76, 75 match to give the Sooner's a miracle upset.

First year coach John Roddick was proud. "It was an unbelievable effort," head coach John Roddick said. "I have never been prouder of a group of guys in my entire life."

Formentera- "I knew the team was relying on me and George (Chanturia)," freshman Lawrence Formentera said. "They were both really close matches, but I knew that If it came down to me I was the better player. George kept me in there. I just went for it."

-----------------------------------------------------------
(11) Georgia 4, (6) Florida 2

Georgia also added an upset to the day, as the hosting team downed conference rival and 6 seed Florida 4-2.

The Bulldogs overcame the depth of Florida, as they won in straights at #5 and #6. However, the doubles point hurt the Gators. Georgia would win a quick 3-setter at #4 and the match was tied, 2-2. Georgia's #22 Garrapiz and #75 Schnugg used the home crowd to give there team a quarterfinal berth, winning tight 2 setters.

--------------------------------------------------------------
(7) Baylor 4, (10) Texas A&M 1

This doesn't appear to be an upset, but after both losses to the Aggies earlier this season, the Bears rolled to a quarterfinal spot.

After dropping a very tight doubles point, the Baylor Bears were lights out in singles.

---------------------------------------------------------------
(2) Tennessee 4, (15) Louisville 0

The freshman of Tennys Sandgren, who is on a 14-match winning streak, and Rhyne Williams (both lost at Wake Forest earlier this season:D) took part in a 4-0 as #1 JP Smith shut the door and took the Vols to the quarters.

(1) Virginia 4, (16) Duke 0

The Cavaliers defeat Duke easily despite 4-3 and 4-2 wins against them earlier this year. Could be the Cavaliers year.

(9) UCLA 4, (8) Stanford 2

An upset for the Bruins, as they lost to Stanford earlier this year. UCLA is a very clutch team, as a 9-8(5) doubles win helped them gain a 1-0 advantage with the doubles point.

Stanford's singles wins came at the top of the lineup, as Klahn at #1 and Thacer at #2 won. Thacer won a gutsy 3-setter to cut the score to 2-3.

UCLA's Matt Brooklyn clinched a huge win for the Bruins, 6-3 in the final set over Clayton.

----------------------------------------------------------------
(4) Ohio State 4, Wisconsin 0

Expected win for the Buckeyes, who will play (5) USC and defending champions in the quarterfinals Sunday:eek:
----------------------------------------------------------------
(5) USC 4, (12) Kentucky 0

The defending champs look good in this one, beating the only team to beat Virginia this year.

QUARTERFINAL MATCHUPS (Sunday)
(1) Virginia vs. (9) UCLA
(4) Ohio State vs. (5) USC
(11) Georgia vs. Oklahoma
(7) Baylor vs. (2) Tennessee

andylovesaustin
05-23-2010, 02:43 AM
Well... hell!

Texas can't win everything...... obviously! :lol:

Angle Queen
05-23-2010, 03:13 AM
No matter the sport, any contest between these two titans is a war.

Thanks for the nice write-up.

out_here_grindin
05-23-2010, 03:30 AM
This was Oklahoma's first ever sweet 16 appearance and they will go one step further on the 1st attempt.