Who did you cheer for before Fedal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who did you cheer for before Fedal?

Silvester
05-22-2010, 02:49 AM
Since the majority of people on here are either Federer or Nadal fans, just curious who you cheered for before they came along? Did any of you cheer for Federer early in his career but switched when Nadal came along?

I personally used to root for Agassi, I started watching Tennis in about 92 when I was 9 years old. I liked Sampras as well however when they played against each other I was always hoping that Agassi would win, then he kind of disapeared for a while when get hitched Brook Shields so I followed Samprass untill Agassi finally came back again. Then there was a Very short period of time that I wanted Roddick to win untill Federer came along. Being from Switzerland I started cheering for him.

Besides Federer, when he's not playing I like to cheer for some of the older guys actually, always like seeing Hewitt make a nice run. Not a big fan of Nole & Murray.

gulzhan
05-22-2010, 02:57 AM
My first favorite was Edberg, then Sampras, then, of course, Marat. Maybe that's why I was never a fan of Federer, he is same age as Safin. And yes, I am a Nadal fan.

Arkulari
05-22-2010, 03:08 AM
I vaguely remember Edberg from when I was a kid due to the fact that one of my older sisters is a total tard of the guy, so I grew up watching his matches but I didn't really learned to appreciate him till I was 14 or so, I also watched some matches at the Barcelona Olympics but I wasn't really able to appreciate all the technical aspects due to my age

My first own tennis love was Patrick Rafter, I was a pre-teen when I saw him for the first time (circa 1995-1996), classic S&V unlike the other mostly-serve people of that time (Krajicek, Ivanisevic, etc), needless to say I bawled my eyes out in Centre Court in 2001; I also liked Alex Corretja a lot and have good memories of him and Ivan (his brother) in Barcelona

I was never a fan of either Sampras, Agassi or Hewitt but I did like Safin, not as much as I do Fedal but he was definitely in the top tier of my preferences.

How did I discovered Fedal? I ended up watching Roger's first pro GS match due to the fact that I was a Rafterfan back then and they played in the first round of RG 1999, but I didn't really become a fan of his till RG 2002. I discovered Rafa in a challenger in Segovia in 2003 :)

Filo V.
05-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Ferrero and Guga.

Pirata.
05-22-2010, 03:44 AM
Agassi, because my mom used to watch him all the time when I was younger.

I liked watching Pete play on grass, and I can remember sitting with my mom and watching him win Wimbledon, as well as Rafter win USO and Guga winning RG in 97.

andy neyer
05-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Kuerten, Agassi, Ríos, Davydenko.

I still root for Kolya all the time...

I was never a fan of Marat (too many fangirls and fanboys in love with the guy) and I guess that because of the hype I always wanted him to lose but it would be fair to say that he didn't bother me at all as a person.
I also always wanted Sampras to lose, even when he was playing Safin- dunno why.

Johnny Groove
05-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Goran Ivanisevic.

Bayo
05-22-2010, 03:56 AM
Agassi, mostly.

Action Jackson
05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Tennis didn't exist before then.

rafa_maniac
05-22-2010, 04:26 AM
Hewitt. Before that maybe Agassi, don't think I really had a dedicated favourite back then.

leng jai
05-22-2010, 04:32 AM
I cheered for the same players that I did before "Fedal" came along.

oranges
05-22-2010, 04:42 AM
Your impression is due to the fact that that the loudest fanboys as a rule come from those two groups. Dim that noise somewhat, and you'll notice there's plenty of others around.

coonster14
05-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Agassi (always my #1 favourite no matter what), Rafter (very very close #2), then I liked Safin and Hewitt. :)

Sampras was a great player, but he just bored me to death...

Billups85
05-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Carlos Moya :worship:

jenanun
05-22-2010, 06:07 AM
Edberg

ChuckNorrisFan
05-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Chuck Norris

BlueSwan
05-22-2010, 10:15 AM
I cheered for McEnroe in the 80's. I didn't like Becker so for a while I rooted for Edberg in all those Wimbledon finals, but I was never a proper Edberg fan. In the early 90's I lost interest in mens tennis and instead became an obsessed Seles fan. Infact throughout the 90's I followed the WTA very closely (I became an even bigger Hingis fan than I had been a Seles fan) and had only a passing interest in the ATP tour. While I didn't like Agassi much when he was a bratty teenager, I became a big fan of him and his game around the "pirate era" and stayed a big fan throughout his career. I also liked Muster a lot in the mid-90's as well as some of the spanish claycourters, mainly Berasategui and Bruguera.

I've never liked the serve based game much, so I wasn't a fan of Sampras for many years, but actually started rooting for him during the last part of his career when he wasn't winning as much. Ironically, I rooted for Sampras in that Wimbledon match against Federer. In the late 90's I was also a big Rios fan and his failure to win a Grand Slam still haunts me.

As for Federer, I really liked him back when he was 17 years old or so and started playing some main tour events, but I quickly went off him again. He seemed to be an infinitely talented head case. In the early 2000's main Hingis faded and the ATP tour was at its muggiest, I went off watching tennis. I still knew what was going on and watched a match here and there, but I wasn't following either tour in the way that I used to.

This all changed when I watched a lot of Wimbledon 2004. I had obviously been aware of the rise of Federer, but hadn't really had the chance to watch him play that much. Watching his matches at Wimbledon 2004 made me a huge fan. I had never seen the game played as beautiful or effective before. The player I had liked when he was 17, but then gone off, had finally fulfilled his potential. From then on I started following the ATP tour closely but still didn't care much for the WTA tour and the same applies today.

Lalalovesong
05-22-2010, 10:25 AM
JCF!

But i'm not really a fedal fan, I like djokovic and verdasco more!

barbadosan
05-22-2010, 10:43 AM
I used to cheer for Borg - liked both his tennis and his demeanour; always felt very ambivalent about Mac - part of me liked his spirit, the other part had problems with the constant arguing etc. Pete and Agassi were strange in a way; I'd start off rooting for one, and depending on who was losing the match, I'd switch and support the one who was losing. Overall though, always had a problem supporting Pete fully for a really stupid reason - in general I can't stand people who keep their mouths hanging open, so that always irked me. I try to like Gulbis, but end up getting irritated with him for the same reason. Supported Goran once - at the WMB finals against Rafter - before that, I used to hate his serve, because it seemed no point the opponent being able to play good tennis if he couldn't return that monster serve.

Liked Safin's tennis; hated Hewitt's "in your face" c'mons etc. Again, in general I don't like in-your-face, so along with his tennis it was easy for me to gravitate towards Fed. Even now, I prefer when he plays his matches without showing his emotions until the match is finished.

Mjau!
05-22-2010, 01:23 PM
This is a trick question, right? :confused:

Start da Game
05-22-2010, 02:57 PM
good thread.......before rafa, i used to cheer for the great greek warrior.......i happened to like kuerten and have always cheered for nalbandian as well.......these days i support djokovic too.......

BaselineSmash
05-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Raftassi was quite good, even if as a rivalry it only really lasted 2000-2001.

SetSampras
05-22-2010, 05:18 PM
I was always rooting for Andre to win more slams after pete retired.

siddy
05-22-2010, 05:24 PM
My favorite before Federer was Rafter -- and I cheered for Andre on and off. Edberg before that.

superslam77
05-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Drugassi and Ferrero

Mjau!
05-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I was always rooting for Andre to win more slams after pete retired.

No doubt cos it would make Pete's era seems stronger

tennisfan856
05-22-2010, 09:54 PM
I always cheered for younes el aynaoui in the grand slams. Kuerten was also a favorite of mine.

Ales_Alessandra
05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Guga, it started there, having him one year ahead on high school got me hoock to the sports, before him no tennis in Brazil. Then, Moya, all the brazilians: Meligeni, Saretta, and Safin. I also cheered up for Henman, I lived in London in 2001/03, so got all the fuzzy and witnessed all the pressure on him, so there was no way on not support him.Plus Hewitti, he is one of my faves too, but not playing that much! Basicaly all my faves are retiring, Guga's generation. So, now I have adopted the spanish army, mainly and all the newbies, most like! :)

NicoMedellin
05-23-2010, 03:11 AM
Safin...I started to watch tennis because of him!!!

savesthedizzle
05-23-2010, 03:15 AM
Before Nadal? Ferrero :D

Marc23
05-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Safin...Nadal!

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 06:48 AM
Agassi, Kuerten, and Ferrero.

Tripster
05-23-2010, 09:55 AM
Becker, Stich, Agassi. In the early 2000s I stopped watching tennis until Federer came along.

PiggyGotRoasted
05-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Sampras - Kuerten - Coria - Baghdatis - Davydenko

Stefanos13
05-23-2010, 10:18 AM
one man: SAMPRAS :wavey:

CmonAussie
05-23-2010, 10:30 AM
McEnroe...
then Cash...
then Becker...
then Agassi...