French Open 2010 - Champion + world #1! (and Adam is #1 thread starter :D) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

French Open 2010 - Champion + world #1! (and Adam is #1 thread starter :D)

adee-gee
05-21-2010, 08:45 AM
:sport:

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1845/drabinka.jpg

acionescu
05-21-2010, 10:05 AM
Adam :worship: :worship:

Betty
05-21-2010, 11:38 AM
mit:win
:scared:

tennizen
05-21-2010, 12:43 PM
Qf

Foxy
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
MIT Win for me. 2000 points for me. Sooooo goood. I think I am going to make a grand slam this year as I already won the AO 2010 in MIT. :)

adee-gee
05-21-2010, 03:39 PM
This is the only downside to me opening threads. MIT will suffer because everyone will see my powers and keep picking win. Hema is the exception, but we've come to expect stupidity from Fedtards :D :hug:

born_on_clay
05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
MIT Win for me. 2000 points for me. Sooooo goood. I think I am going to make a grand slam this year as I already won the AO 2010 in MIT. :)

so in that case I would be your closest rival cause I'm predicting win as well !!! :devil:

Vamos Rafa, you moster

MIT:win :wavey:

Metis
05-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I do not share the collective feelings of enthusiasm and optimism displayed after the 3 Masters titles.

I say he will lose in the SF. :( :sad:

How far will Rafa go in Roland Garros? (2000 points :eek: :drool: :hearts:)

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -
W - acionescu, Betty, Boarder35m, born_on_clay, -Evita-, Foxy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, nashty, rafa_maniac, shawshank, Topspin_Forehand, Xristos

tennizen
05-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Hema is the exception, but we've come to expect stupidity from Fedtards :D :hug:

I won 2000 points for the correct prediction at AO:hug:.I wonder who the thread starter was:scratch:

I do not share the collective feelings of enthusiasm and optimism displayed after the 3 Masters titles.

:yeah: Rafatards, beware is all I can say.

adee-gee
05-21-2010, 05:47 PM

:rolleyes:
I won 2000 points for the correct prediction at AO:hug:.I wonder who the thread starter was:scratch:
Attempted jinx :D

Who the hell is Mina btw? :scratch: :lol:

Getta
05-21-2010, 07:52 PM
second round.

Metis
05-21-2010, 09:01 PM
second round.

:rocker2:

born_on_clay
05-21-2010, 09:09 PM
second round.

zeballos or qualifer ?

:eek:

Minn
05-21-2010, 10:18 PM
Win.

l_mac
05-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Various pics:

l_mac
05-21-2010, 11:03 PM
A few more:

nashty
05-22-2010, 03:12 AM
WIN please.

rafa_maniac
05-22-2010, 06:30 AM
#7 baby! :rocker2:

JolánGagó
05-22-2010, 09:22 AM
MIT pick: WIN

acionescu
05-22-2010, 01:45 PM
WIN :rocker2:

Xristos
05-22-2010, 04:00 PM
WIN for me.

VAMOOS!

Boarder35m
05-22-2010, 04:09 PM
WIN for me please :)

VS Angel
05-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Tooomoooorooooow!

OMG ...anxiously

Topspin Forehand
05-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Win

Metis
05-23-2010, 08:48 AM
Various pics:

:inlove:

shawshank
05-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Win for sure!

MariaV
05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
OMG I have to pick WIN of course but that's gonna be sooooooooooooooooooooo tough. :scared: :unsure:

-Evita-
05-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Win

Metis
05-24-2010, 03:15 PM
OOP for Tuesday, 25 May:

Court Suzanne Lenglen
11:00 Start

Men's Singles - First Round
Fernando Verdasco (ESP)[7] vs. Igor Kunitsin (RUS)
Women's Singles - First Round
Dinara Safina (RUS)[9] vs. Kimiko Date Krumm (JPN)
Men's Singles - First Round
Gianni Mina (FRA) vs. Rafael Nadal (ESP)[2]

Update:

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -
W - acionescu, Betty, Boarder35m, born_on_clay, -Evita-, Foxy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, nashty, rafa_maniac, shawshank, Snoo Foo, Topspin_Forehand, Xristos

Snoo Foo
05-24-2010, 07:31 PM
win wep

born_on_clay
05-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Rafa starting on Lenglen ?

Hewitt-Chardy on Chartier?

with all respect it's a scandal !!!

:devil: :)

born_on_clay
05-25-2010, 09:30 PM
Press conference:

R. NADAL/G. Mina

6‑2, 6‑2, 6‑2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions in English, please.

Q. Can you tell me what was your reaction, your feeling on court for the first match this year? You had lost last year. What was the feeling, in general?
RAFAEL NADAL: I played really bad. (laughter.) That was today.

I was practicing really well all the days, but I played very well three tournaments. But, you know, first day here is always a little bit more nervous than usual.

I think I played bad, but I won anyway, without problems, so that's always important and positive thing. But I think I can do it much ‑‑ a lot of better, much better next round.

Q. What did you know about your opponent before the match? What do you think of his game?

RAFAEL NADAL: Not much. I didn't know nothing before the match. I think he's a good player. He can play well in the future, but you never know. Sure, he has good potential with good serve and he's fast. That's very important.

And later from the baseline I think he can play well, but we will see. Sure, how old is him?

Q. 18.

RAFAEL NADAL: When you have 18 and you can play, so for sure he gonna has his good chances to be in the tour very soon.

Q. Did you ask other players about him before, or did you just play?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I didn't ask a lot, no? I know him a little bit. I asked a few ones, but I didn't ask a lot. I didn't know a lot about him before.

Q. Coming into this tournament, everyone says that you are the man to beat. Basically it's gonna be you winning the fifth title. What do you think about that? Are you the clear favorite of this tournament?

RAFAEL NADAL: You didn't ‑‑ you wasn't here the first day in the press conference, no? No, because every day is the same question.

For me I told is the fifth year in a row I answer the same question, no? For me, the favorite or no favorite ‑‑ I know you have to write something ‑‑ but the only favorite is the players who gonna be in the final next Sunday, no? Or after two Sundays, no?

But right now is very difficult to speak about the favorite. I know sure I am one of the players that if I play my best tennis I gonna have chances to play good tournament, but a lot of players think the same than me, I think.

Q. Were you disappointed not to play on the central court, or do you think you would have been even more nervous?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. The nervous for me doesn't matter to play in the center court or in the court 16. For me, the nervous is because of first round of Roland Garros. Always the feeling is a little bit more different, and I have to pass this day.

I remember the four times that I won here. I always had first matches really bad matches, no? For me, I'm not worry about that. That's the true.

For me was a little bit surprised to be nervous like this, because for moments ‑‑ other the years I didn't practice well before the tournament because I was a little bit more nervous to play here, but not this year.

I practiced really well, so probably I hope is only a little bit accident today. But I think I am playing enough well. Not play in the center court for me doesn't matter. I play where the organization want me to play, and if I win matches, I gonna have the chance to play there.

Q. Your uncle Toni was a little critical about the crowd here last year when you went out. Did you feel that they were supportive to you today?

RAFAEL NADAL: You can ask my uncle, not me. (laughter.)

I didn't criticize. I didn't say nothing against them, the crowd. Not one time. You can ask Toni.

Q. But today...

RAFAEL NADAL: I played against the French. When I played Madrid, the crowd support me. That's normal thing on the sport, and that's good for the sport.

Q. How was it for you today? Was it easy? Have you been surprised by Gianni Mina?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, wasn't easy. Never easy. I was surprised, no? I was more surprised about myself than him, because he's a good player, a young player, and always young player have good potential and nothing to lose in big match like today.

So for him is a perfect history and the perfect moment, I think, no? But I play worse than I thought before the match, but that's happen. (Smiling.)

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish, please.

Q. I had the impression that the balls were lighter. Could you practice on center court?

RAFAEL NADAL: I practiced two days on center court. I don't know about the balls. I think they were perhaps a wee bit heavier. Well, of course they were new balls, but I practiced two days really well. There was no problem with the balls.

I managed to win or to go through three tournaments with the same balls, no problem.

Q. You've just said that you played badly. Can you tell us why technically?

RAFAEL NADAL: I played poorly because I made a lot of unforced errors. Ball was not doing what I wanted to do. I didn't play well. That's the truth. That's why I couldn't play my game as usual.

I did things in such a way that I couldn't play well compared with what I usually do. It's true. I'm a bit nervous or stressed. You know, it's the first round. The first round is always difficult on this tournament.

But I know I have to refocus and calm down and move forward. I think I will have no problems in continuing and moving forward.

Q. Tell me if I'm wrong, I think I remember that you didn't really play well during three games.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, he won a number of games, that's true, because I didn't play well. I made a lot of unforced errors. I think I didn't really serve well and I was playing too much from the baseline and I couldn't really move around the way I wanted to because I was too nervous.

I was playing shorter balls or shots. I didn't have time to change directions when I needed to, so this is one of the reasons why his game was made easier.

But each time, as I say, my first round I played badly.

Q. I think I read somewhere that you had practiced and you had trained...

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, this is what I said. Well, I was asked if this week would prepare for Roland Garros, and I answered, Okay. It's not the week in Rome like this week is a practice before Roland Garros. Rome is a full‑fledged tournament just like Roland Garros is.

This being said, practice is not just three days. It's about training and practicing all the time. I was ready for Roland Garros. Three days will not suffice.

Q. After today, after this experience, what do you think you should do to impose your style?

RAFAEL NADAL: I think I should continue playing the way I've played for a while now. Today unfortunately I couldn't really play the way I wanted. I was a bit tense, more than usual.

To tell you the truth, I feel really at ease when I practice, so I should hit more strongly and I should let myself go for these shots.

Q. Recently you've talked about the work you had to put in to reach this level and to live up to your own ambitions. I suppose that at your age, you're 23, this is good. By that I mean this is very positive. You're very young. Still, though, in addition to this there is motivation plus all the other tournaments you've won. What are your motivations?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I'm almost 24, absolutely. I'm always, always motivated; otherwise it would be a pity if I had no more dreams at 23 or 24. I'm very competitive, and my ideal is to be the best. Not against the others, but I want to be better compared with my own self.

You know, last year I had some problems. I was injured. It was a bit complicated. This was truly a challenge for me to catch up and to reach my best level. This is a genuine personal satisfaction.

When I win Roland Garros or Monte‑Carlo, I'm so happy. It's happiness which is immediate, but it's the climax of a series, a streak of events and tournaments. Of course I'm very happy. If I win Roland Garros, of course I'll be very happy.

If I lose, I'm aware that at least I'll have done my best. I think that last year helped me considerably to move forward.

Q. What is it that you have to do to win? Because you said you didn't play well and you were nervous.

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know. I think there was a difference of games and levels between myself and my opponent. It's the first time for him, you know, playing at this level. I think there's some stress.

He could have played really poorly, but, well, maybe he didn't play his best tennis. I think that if it had been a tougher opponent I would have played better. Maybe I thought I had enough leeway to play this way, and this is it. It's the way it is.

Q. Next round is against Zeballos. Do you know him? Does he play as a left‑handed player?

RAFAEL NADAL: I know him a little because I have friends who know him. I was told he serves pretty well, that he hits very strongly. Therefore, I have to be more regular and more consistent.

I'll see if I can read his game, but we'll see in the future. I trust I'll play well. I'm quite prepared for this. Well, at least to try and win the match.

Q. What about the circumstances in general, or the weather conditions, rather? In Madrid it was sometimes warm or cold. What do you prefer?

RAFAEL NADAL: The sun. I love the sun. The sun is like happiness. When it's a bit like a dull‑type of weather like this, I don't really like this type of weather. When I play tennis I'd rather play in the sun.

The ball bounces higher. When it was really sunny, I can tell you the balls are a lot lighter. Today it was a bit heavier, so I didn't play really well.

Q. I'd like to know something out of curiosity. Has it happened to you to be faced with a player who serves that strongly?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, usually when people play on my backhand, no problem, because I play backhand, and I can play crosscourt. He didn't do this, but he's young. Young players have their own shots that are a bit novel shots.

So he played on my forehand, as well. So anyway, I know him well.

Q. Usually you play one day out of two. One day every other day. How are you going to manage this time off?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I'm really happy in Paris. I have colleagues at the hotel. We enjoy it. Paris is so pretty. We walk around. Tomorrow I'll be free. I'll walk around. And.

Like having a day off to unwind, to calm down, to sometimes watch tennis, as well, and to just relax and enjoy it.

Well, of course, I'll practice for one hour or one and a half hours.

MariaV
05-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Do you want the blog entries here too? Pretty much the same what he said at the press conference.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010
I played terrible, but it doesn't worry me at all

Hi Everyone,

Let me start by saying that I played really bad today. Having said that, I always had a so, so start here in Roland Garros and 4 times went well in the end... It is funny but I have been practicing really great these days, I have been playing well at the previous events and I am felling great. Then I stepped out on the court, first round and... I played terrible. I really don't know the reason. I have been asked if that worries me and i have to say that it really doesn't... for the moment. I hope that on Thursday things will be better. I was really angry for my game today.

I also would like to say that some people, specially media, asked me about being put to play on the second court. To be honest I think it is normal I played there my first match. It was not against me, I know that. It is normal that if I am playing with a young player like Gianni, they put us on that court. The pressure for him was less and it is a good way to protect him and get him better from the start. No worries as they say in Australia... (I learned that!).

Ok, speak to you tomorrow. Thanks again.

Rafa

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/i-played-terrible-but-it-doesnt-worry-me-at-all.html

We can only hope. :angel: :D

MariaV
05-26-2010, 09:13 AM
The Q&As
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Ask Rafa: what was it like to work with Shakira?

I am wondering how it was to make a music video with Shakira? Would you consider doing more videos?
Elainaa B

Rafa: It was long, very long. I started at 8am, leaving the hotel, and finished the recording at 3am! I think it was a great experience and I thank Shakira for giving me this opportunity. I am not sure I will do a music video again, but as I always say, you never know.

How do you expect the tennis fans of Paris will receive you this year?
Luis Muniz

Rafa: I am always happy to be here. I was always treated very well so I expect - as a matter of fact I can say it is this way - I am being treated very well.

If you had to spend 24 hours locked in a room with one other member of the top five, who would it be and why?
Fay Holland

Rafa: We already meet for many hours with the player council members, including three of the top ten players in it... I think it is already enough :-)

Would you like to be Spain's Davis Cup captain in the future? You seem to be good at motivating your-team mates.
Jan, Surrey

Rafa: I suppose so, but it is something I haven't thought about. I think more now about playing...

What is your expectation for Roland Garros ?
Evanise, Brazil

Rafa: I am here to try to win although we know it is difficult.

If you played soccer for a living, what position would you want to play?
Westney

Rafa: Forward for sure. That's also where I used to play when I was very young.

During Australia Open this year when you were blogging to your fans, you answered my question about whether or not you would attend Serbia Open. At the end you said "Hvala" (which means thank you in Serbian). I was wondering who taught you that and do you know any more words in Serbian?
Marina, California

Rafa: No, that's all I know. I think it was Benito who taught me that. He also works with Novak so he knows a few words.

Do you think Spain will ever host a grand-slam tournament? Or do you think four slams a year is enough for the players?
Lisa Grebe, Pennsylvania, USA

Rafa: I have no idea. It would be great, that's for sure.

I recently spent my birthday watching you win in Rome. What are your plans for 3 June?
Clare

Rafa: I hope I am still here in Roland Garros and if so I am sure we will go out for a special dinner

How long has Rafa Maymo been your physio for? How did you meet him?
Sarah

Rafa: More than three years now. In September it will be four! I met him in Manacor, my home town and also his.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/ask-rafa-what-was-it-like-to-work-with-shakira.html

Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Ask Rafa: what song will you pick for karaoke this year?

What one song would you like to sing in the Karaoke Booth at Roland Garros this year?
Dustin, USA :spit:

Rafa: I am thinking about it. If Marc Lopez does it with me, I'll do it. otherwise I'll simply introduce Novak singing Gypsy... :-) :bolt:

I'm learning to drive at the moment, although I don't think I'll have an Aston Martin when I pass! How old were you when you started having lessons, and did you pass first time?
Shani.

Rafa: I didn't learn with an Aston Martin either. It was a Kia which, by the way, I still have and use... I started later than normal, the contrary to my tennis...

In one week from today I will have surgery on my knee. Do you have some good advice for me on what to do to recover quickly so that I will be able to return to the tennis courts as soon as possible? I miss playing tennis so much. Thanks!
Anna (Netherlands)

Rafa: You should definitely listen to what you doctor say and not my case. You should take care of your self before running again with a racquet in your hands... Try to avoid injuries that wil come back!

Do you eat more and different food before a five-set match and how long before the match do you have a meal? Isn't it difficult sometimes to judge correctly when the match before yours is much longer or shorter than expected?
Cheryl Klopper

Rafa: No, not really. I eat the normal food. Otherwise it would be too heavy. To answer your second part of the question, yes, sometimes it is difficult if there is not a fixed time.

I love watching you play tennis and particularly love it when you are pumped up. My question is when you watch your games back and see your amazing 'vamos' and fist-pumping gestures do you ever laugh at yourself, or what do you think? Good luck for the tournament!
Sharon Davies

Rafa: Many thanks. Sometimes I have to admit I do... Funny. But I know the moment and know that that really helps me.

It's great to see you back at your best! As I know you're an avid Real Madrid fan, what do you think of Jose Mourinho's move to Real Madrid? Do you think he can bring Real the same success Barca has had in La Liga and the Champions League over the past few years? Also, what do you think of Spain's chances at the World Cup?
Joanna, Sydney

Rafa: Many thanks. I better keep my thoughts for myself. I just hope that Real wins next year... :-) and regarding Spain, I truly think we have some good chances but we will see. I'll tell you more during Wimbledon and how things go.

I know you’re a big Phantom fan so was wondering whether you’ve seen the new sequel, Love Never Dies, yet. If not, do you plan to when you’re next in London? Can’t wait to see you at Queen’s and Wimbledon – you are awesome.
Rachel.

Rafa: No, I haven't. But thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll come during Queen's.

If you were to play mixed doubles, which WTA player would you like to play with?
Atch

Rafa: I really don't have time so I don't think about it. Sorry... :-(

Hi Rafa, I'm watching the 2006 French Open men's final between you and Roger right now and I was wondering if you ever watch old matches for motivation or to see if you should change anything about your game? Thanks!
Lisa, USA

Rafa: Yes I do. Not for motivation but to see the tactics and remember things. Clearly I will try to adapt and change what needed if possible.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/ask-rafa-what-song-will-you-pick-for-karaoke-this-year.html

MariaV
05-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Here's today's blog entry and Q & A

Thursday, May 27, 2010
Rafa's Blog: my late start and bad weather could count against me

Hello everyone,

I am writing this blog tonight a bit later than in the past days. I started the week by writing before going to dinner and that way I could tell you fresh stories just coming from the site. Tonight we had scheduled to go out to dinner at 9.30 pm. As a matter of fact we were all downstairs at that time to go for dinner but at the lobby we stayed watching the final moments of the Monfils v Fognini match. It took so long, they played amost until 10pm, could see anything and on top of that it was very exciting to watch.

Today we had the first rain of the tournament. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow since I am scheduled to play fourth match on centre. This time is not the best of times. I know that someone has to play fourth and I am not complaining. :angel:

I am simply saying that it is not the most convenient time. For me or for any of the players. The reason is that if it rains during the day and the previous matches are long then we could risk of not playing tomorrow. If that's the case then the winner of my match would play two days in a row and that during a Grand Slam is not the most convenient thing since the matches are best of five sets and that day of rest is really important. Just wanted to explain it to you.

Thanks all for being there.

Rafa

:kiss:
Those organizers :( :(

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/rafas-blog-my-late-start-could-and-weather-could-count-against-me.html

Thursday, May 27, 2010
Questions for Rafa: having a whale of a time watching Moby Dick

Does your family still play practical jokes on you, like when you were a kid and you thought you were invisible?
Atch, Thailand

Rafa: I think I am a bit older and more difficult to do these kind of things. I would say it is me now doing it..

The weather has turned to rain this afternoon. How much of a difference do the heavier conditions make to the courts and what do you change to your game plan?
Clare

Rafa: In my case I didn't have to play today so it was OK. It did affect my practice since it rained during the 2 hours I was supposed to practice, I believe it is not going to rain tomorrow afternoon so it really won't affect me. But clearly the courts become heavier and slower if it rains. The sun makes them faster and the balls too.

Hi Rafa, does it make you more nervous when stars like Ronaldo, Raoul and Zidane turn up to watch you play? Good luck, Rafa - you can do it!
Love Sam

Rafa: Not really. Probably more when I meet them... :-)

Hello Rafa! We all know you are a huge fan and a great advocate of the Davis Cup, having served Spain so well. However, do you think that a "World Cup" for tennis could work?
Wooffs

Rafa: It is too early to talk about these things. I have heard this idea before.

In the past, I read that you watched series of Lost or Prison Break. What are you currently watching at the moment?
Kim, London

Rafa: I am watching the movie Moby Dick, a classic.

We heard Jake Gyllenhaall, the actor who plays the Prince of Persia in his new movie, said he was inspired by you (physically) while creating the character. What do you think about it? Did you ever play the original video game? Many thanks and best of luck!
Upoma & Paroma, Dhaka, Bangladesh

Rafa: Nope, Never played it. I think someone told me about this or read about it. I am thankful to what he said, hopefully we can meet one day and I can thank him personally.

Not long ago, they used to say that the surface of Monte Carlo was quite similar than Roland Garros. Looking at the aces in Roland Garros compared with Monte Carlo, I wonder if that's true. More importantly, there are rumours doing the rounds that they're gradually making the Roland Garros surface faster with a thinner layer of clay so that it almost plays like a hardcourt surface. Since I have no way of having this confirmed, may I ask your expert opinion on that: Is it true?
Jules

Rafa: The conditions in Monte Carlo are the most similar to the ones in Roland Garros. The courts here are really good and I don't see much of a change with previous years to be honest.

Have you had any time to ride your Harley motorcycle back home in between tournaments this year? Amanda, USA

Rafa: Yes, a bit. But I am not a good driver... So i am safer with a car in my hands...

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/questions-for-rafa-im-having-a-whale-of-a-time-watching-moby-dick.html

So he wants to say all the :bs: about the courts are consipracy theories? Or are his answers :bs:? :o

acionescu
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll go with the "he talks a lot of :bs:" answer :o

adee-gee
05-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Is it even Rafa answering, or is it just a robot pulling out the most politically correct answer possible? :o

How tremendously boring :zzz:

Xristos
05-27-2010, 01:51 PM
Rafa not playing today?

shawshank
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
I just can't stand the fact that Rafa is not playing today! I hate thos stupid French organizers. They would do anything to screw Rafa :(

l_mac
05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Is it even Rafa answering, or is it just a robot pulling out the most politically correct answer possible? :o

I think Benito answers most of the time. He is certainly always on hand.

star
05-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Just wanted to explain it to you.

:hug: :hug:

Xristos
05-28-2010, 05:04 AM
I think Benito answers most of the time. He is certainly always on hand.

Whos Benito?

Getta
05-28-2010, 11:50 AM
i lost it all over. again.

MariaV
05-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Whos Benito?

Benito Pérez-Barbadillo, Rafa's PR manager.

Metis
05-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Nadal-Zeballos 6-2 6-2 6-3

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -
W - acionescu, Betty, Boarder35m, born_on_clay, -Evita-, Foxy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, nashty, rafa_maniac, shawshank, Snoo Foo, Topspin_Forehand, Xristos

Getta: shows no improvement :help:

i lost it all over. again.

http://blog.bubble.ro/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/english_fail_missippi.jpg

Getta
05-28-2010, 12:52 PM
:lol:

Metis :yeah:

MariaV
05-28-2010, 01:02 PM
From our lil' angel.

Thursday, May 27, 2010
Paris rain makes for a gloomy day in the locker room

Hello everyone

I suppose most of you are saying the same thing as I am. I did mention yesterday the risk of not playing today, well, in the end it was worst than expected. I couldn't play as I thought I wouldn't be able to do but the weather was worse than they told us and most of the matches couldn't be even started. This means that tomorrow I am playing early and if I win I would play again on Saturday. Not ideal but always better than playing tomorrow and going back home after ...

I have to say that these days in tennis are kind of the worst. Not much to do, just wait, wait, more wait, play some cards in the locker room and continue waiting. Terrible. Clearly there are worst things in life but for a professional event and for the spectators who paid money to be here and watch tennis is not the best.

Tomorrow I am going pretty early to the tournament at 8am and get ready for an early match. Something that I am not used to but something equal to both players. No complaints.

Rafa

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/paris-rain-makes-for-a-gloomy-day-in-the-locker-room.html

And the Q & A, bless him (i.e. Benito) :angel:
Friday, May 28, 2010
Questions for Rafa: it's time to buy a camera

Hola Rafa, I am thinking of learning to play tennis after years of watching. What advice/tips can you give me to get me started? Clare

RN: The first thing is to enjoy, to have fun and be patient with your improvement.

Dude, you have the coolest gear on tour. How is your wardrobe picked for each tournament? Jorge, Miami FL

RN: It is picked way in advance. We decide it with Nike months before.

Hola Rafa, congratulations on your victory over Gianni Mina. Did it feel a little strange to wear a watch for the first time during a match, or did you not notice any difference than usual? Thanks a million and good luck. Niamh in Ireland

RN: Not really since I had been practicing for a long time now. It has been almost two years since we started working on it and I have been practicing for some months now. It is not that I started on Tuesday with it.

Hi Rafa, you are ALWAYS being photographed on the receiving end of a camera - do you enjoy taking photos yourself and do you take photos of the tournaments you visit so that you can look back on them in future years? Thank you for bringing excitement back into the land of tennis! Sandra

RN: Not really but it is a good idea. Will start I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

You're playing with new strings this year and, to my untrained eye, it seems you might be hitting the ball harder and longer. What was the aim of the new strings and do you think they're working for you? Vamos for Roland Garros! Rachel from Berkhamsted

RN: Yes, absolutely.

Hi Rafa, it's so good to have you blogging and answering questions again, I really look forward to it, muchas gracias! Do you have any dreams or ambitions, not related to tennis, something you'd love to do but haven't done yet? Juliette Westbrook-Finch

RN: Many thanks for your comments. I don't really have these kind of dreams. I think more every day on my goals instead and work hard to achieve them.

Hi Rafa, I would like to know if sometimes you ever have to sit back and pinch yourself to try and comprehend what you have achieved so far in your career? Taryn, Australia

RN: I suppose I will do that in the future but definitely not now.

Greetings from Serbia! If you had a chance to choose any court in any tournament to be named after you which one would that be? The one from Monte Carlo? Thanks and good luck at RG! Marija
Hvala

RN: Not sure I deserve that honor. I am too young.
http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/questions-for-rafa-its-time-to-buy-a-camera.html

adee-gee
05-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Whos Benito?
http://www.losalamoshistory.org/Suitcase/mpmus.jpg

Rafa :yeah:

But seriously....please ditch the Q&A thing. It's not pretty.

MariaV
05-28-2010, 01:22 PM
But seriously....please ditch the Q&A thing. It's not pretty.

You think your Ginepri vs Fish RG final things are better? :o :p I was just going to ask you to stop that in the other thread. :D :p

tennizen
05-28-2010, 01:36 PM
You think your Ginepri vs Fish RG final things are better? :o :p I was just going to ask you to stop that in the other thread. :D :p

:eek: Maria,so brave:lol:

Hewitt next. I hope he won't prove to be a bad omen like last year.

MariaV
05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
:eek: Maria,so brave:lol:

Hewitt next. I hope he won't prove to be a bad omen like last year.

Hema, pleaaase don't remind us. :tape: :sad: I try but I'll never be able to forget what happened last year, it was a shock for life. :o :lol:

colchetes
05-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Doesn't he do the blog/Q&A thing for $ for his foundation? He's this boring and PC in his own pressers, too.

You're playing with new strings this year and, to my untrained eye, it seems you might be hitting the ball harder and longer. What was the aim of the new strings and do you think they're working for you? Vamos for Roland Garros! Rachel from Berkhamsted

RN: Yes, absolutely.

Back to only answering one part of the question. This could be Rafa, after all.

Castafiore
05-28-2010, 05:56 PM
Adam, care to contribute to your own thread instead of just moaning. :armed:

There are lots of interviews and videos out there but find it yourself. :ras:

In the presser, I'm assuming a Frenchie but I'm not sure, a woman asks him his impression about "ze balls".
Rafa: The what?
Lady: Ze balls
(from a video that's out there)

FormerRafaFan
05-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Adam, care to contribute to your own thread instead of just moaning. :armed:

There are lots of interviews and videos out there but find it yourself. :ras:

In the presser, I'm assuming a Frenchie but I'm not sure, a woman asks him his impression about "ze balls".
Rafa: The what?
Lady: Ze balls
(from a video that's out there)

That is hilarious, so typically French! *ze balls* LMAO.

About the Q&A with Rafa, ugh.. He just sounds, well, I don't know. Not rude, but.. can't seem to find the word, lol. The Q&A is kinda boring too, always short answers. But well, short answers are better than no answers, and it comes from Rafa. I'm interested in anything Rafa has to say, yes, even the boring parts :p At least he interacts with the fans.. more than can be said about *cough* Verdasco *cough*.

MariaV
05-29-2010, 07:28 AM
Here's the presser with 'ze balls' question. :D

Day 6 - Rafael Nadal
Friday, May 28, 2010

Q. You said against Mina you don't play well. Do you think today you play well as you want to play?
RAFAEL NADAL: Oh, I think I improved a little bit. I improved a little bit. I played a little bit better. But sure, not perfect, no?
But sure, is a little bit of improvement. That's always important to play a little bit better every day, no?
So I did. Today I happy for the victory. Never easy. He's a good player. He's a young player and he's coming well. So it's a good win for me, and I'm happy for that. But I hope to keep improving.

Q. What would be the difference in your tactics, the way you play compared from 2005 the first year you played here to now? How would you say your game has changed on the clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: I forget. I think I improved. 2005 I think I played well. Probably not here I played here some matches well and others not that well. But I think I am serving better, I have a better backhand, a little bit better forehand, too. I have the position on court much better than 2005.
Probably I am running like I did in 2005, 2006, no? I can win a lot of matches without run crazy all the time, so that's a big improvement.

Q. You obviously had problems coming into Roland Garros last year. Could you compare how you're feeling now after a couple of games and compare it to the same stage last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, impossible to compare, no? I answered these questions a lot of times, and, you know, is very difficult to compare every year. The conditions are different.
But you never know what's happened this year. Last year I arrived one of the favorites, too, and I lost. That's difficult to compare.

Q. I have a question on the balls.
RAFAEL NADAL: The what?

Q. The balls.
RAFAEL NADAL: Ah.

Q. Do you choose the balls in a different manner? Do you prefer to keep the ball if you win the point, or you change?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I never play two points with the same ball, no. No, no. I don't like. Is slower. :spit:

Q. I was just watching Djokovic play. I didn't see your match. Do you try to serve and volley maybe one, two, three times? If you do, is it for surprise, and do you do it on the first or the second serve? Which do you think is better? Just to try to surprise, to use the serve and volley?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am not doing.

Q. But why would you not do it one, two, just to surprise your opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: We'll see. We will see if I did. I did a few times. Not here yet, but, you know, my idea is not before the point, matter my idea is never gonna have serve and volley. I never gonna have desire. Not here on clay.
But if I serve one good serve outside, good slice to the backhand of the opponent, I see if I see I can go, I go. But it doesn't happen yet here. I am not serving that well. (Smiling.) Not yet. I need to serve a little bit better next match.

Q. If I could, I'd like to ask you a difficult question.

RAFAEL NADAL: Very difficult? Gonna be difficult to answer. :spit:

Q. Right, exactly. Roger recently said that on clay you don't need a volley or serve. You just need legs, an incredible forehand, and backhand. You can be competitive even with a very incomplete game. What are your thoughts on that? :worship: :bowdown:
RAFAEL NADAL: Everybody has his every guy's free to have his own opinion. No, I think probably a lot of years ago when you play with the slower balls, with the slower racquets, you know, with the small racquets and you can't have a winner, was very difficult to have a winner, probably.
But in my opinion now, in the sport is important to think how to win the match. Probably in very fast surfaces that's not happen, because you can have one serve and one forehand. That's the only that's the only way for the moment, one serve or one volley, only one serve.
Here you can play with more tactics. You can change your style. You can play attacking; you can play defending; you can go to the volley; you can play with the baseline.
So you have many options to do, and I think that's nice for the sport, too. I think every surface has difficult things. But sure, have a good forehand, good backhand, good legs and good movements, that's not an easy thing.

Q. And if you had to, in terms of being an athlete, athleticism between clay courts, hard, and grass, where do you need to be the best athlete? How would you rank them in terms of being an athlete?
RAFAEL NADAL: You can be a good athlete on every surface. For me, doesn't matter that moment, no? Sure, if the court is very fast, you don't need to be you don't need to have unbelievable physical performance, no? You not gonna have very long points.
In the rest of the surfaces, you have to be fit. You have to be fast and you have to be an athlete to be in the top position. Not one player in top 100 is not fit.

Q. When you were No. 1, were there extra mental pressures? We always talk about your physical, sure, but were there mental pressures?
RAFAEL NADAL: If you are No. 1?

Q. When you were No. 1, yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, less. No, no. Sure, no not. For me, I never thought about that. Probably I was more relaxed when I was No. 1, because I won a lot in that year. I won Australia not Australia well, I was in I was No. 1 when I won Australia; I won Olympics; Roland Garros; Wimbledon.
So I was very relaxed, because nothing to I won a lot, and that gets a lot of pressure out.

THE MODERATOR: Questions in Spanish.

Q. In London you said you were not at your best tennis, but you said that with practice you would be able to reach this level, your best, that is, but you're not far from this.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, let's face it. I don't know if I'm playing my best tennis today, but I think I have almost reached this level for several months. I don't think that much has changed. I feel good this year. And what are you referring to? 2008?
I don't know. I think I've played really well throughout the year here. That's true, that's not yet my best tennis. But if you look at the season in general, I think that my level is more or less the same. My level is good, and I've worked hard on this.
I've always practiced, believing that I could improve. Every day I practice, every match I play, I focus very much on the aspects I have to improve so as to reach the level I'd like to reach.
Then I try and reuse this experience during the matches I play. That means you have to practice a lot and gain confidence. I think that I have worked hard for a long period of time. And then, you know, when we work a lot, when we practice a lot, when we're very positive, when we're highly motivated, then after a while things go on nicely.
If it's not nicely, at least you're satisfied because there's nothing you could reproach yourself with.

Q. What do you think about this very rainy day? Do you think we would need to have a roof, just like they have at Wimbledon, so that we're less subject to weather conditions?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, rainy days happen. Everybody was probably bothered. You were bothered. I was staying in the cloak rooms and the match was canceled. Then it rained again, and I was bothered. I didn't know if I had to stay or if I would practice later during the day.
But then we thought we will have a rest. It was not easy, because I'm not used to doing this. Then they covered the court. It's better for the players. It's better for TV channels, as well. So yes, I would say I'm in favor of a roof.

Q. I'd like to pick on this question. Would you like Roland Garros to stay in Paris? Would you like to move?
RAFAEL NADAL: Where?

Q. Would you like Roland Garros to stay here?
RAFAEL NADAL: As I said before, I think that Roland Garros has a long standing history, which is here. I think that Roland Garros should remain here, because here we can breathe the history of tennis within these walls.
It's very important, whereas if we move elsewhere, maybe the site is going to be bigger, we're going to lose part of our soul.

Q. The other day when you played a match you said, I didn't really play well. What do you think about today and how you played?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I played better today. I played better than the other day. I didn't really play badly. I wouldn't say this was an exceptional match. It was a normal type of match.
I didn't have enough rhythm. He was a lefty, and he wanted to change the pace with dropshots. But sometimes I had the impression I was playing well or very well, mainly when it was 3 2 during the second set. And then 6 2, 3 0, I think I was playing very well during all of these games. But then at the end I lost my concentration.

Q. During the first match you had opportunities to break. You only lost or dropped four points on your serve. During the second set it was 1 1; you could have broken then. What did you feel? What about your serve?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think I changed my serve strategy at that moment. We discussed this in the locker rooms before we started getting on the courts.
I thought I should have more first serves in, and then if it's a second serve, I should hit the ball more strongly so as to dominate.
With the second serve it's always more complicated. So I think I have a good percentage of first serves, and I should put some spin into the ball so that the ball would bounce very high. And also, I should work on my forehand.
I was gaining confidence except for the very last two or three games. But anyway, otherwise it was okay.

Q. When the press conference started, Hewitt and his opponent Istomin were playing their fifth set. What do you think about this?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know Istomin at all, and I've never played against him. I've not seen him play. I know he's on the tour. I know he's played really good matches, but I've not seen him play.
Whereas Hewitt, I know him well. It's the fifth set, so that means Istomin is really playing well. That's an excellent match for him. We know Hewitt. He's a very dangerous guy and he plays at a very high level. He's going to do his best to win, of course.

Q. What do you think about the balls and the court compared with two years ago?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the balls are the same. I think so. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, all this was okay. I don't know about Barcelona, but Madrid and then Monte Carlo. There's a difference, a slight difference.
But let's be careful about one thing: Let us not change the balls between the tournaments. It makes things more difficult for us. At least this time any matches played on clay were played with the same balls. Well, if it's a sunny day, that's okay. The problem is that when it's wet, the balls are heavier.

Q. Can you tell us what you think about your opponent today? He's Argentinian, and he's a bit more than 20, I think. He played here during the second round against you, Zeballos. What do you think about him? Do you think he has great potential?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think he's 24. I think he's probably 44, so he's well ranked. He's not been on the tour for a very long time, so he's improved quite a lot, and we'll see what happens in the future.
His forehand is really good. He serves well, as well, and this is very important on quick courts. He's got a very good slice, as well. He's a very good all court player.

http://http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-05-28/201005281275050914959.html

star
05-29-2010, 10:15 AM
It's very important, whereas if we move elsewhere, maybe the site is going to be bigger, we're going to lose part of our soul.

Rafa :hug: :hug:

MariaV
05-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Dedicated to our dearest Adam. ;) :kiss:

Saturday, May 29, 2010
Early to bed and early to rise at the French Open

Hi everyone,

Quite a good day today. It started very early for what we normally do since I left for the tournament site at 8am. Had my warm up at 8.45am which is a very early time to hit normally. The problem for me was to go to sleep - to get to sleep rather. I normally go to sleep around 12.30 and 1 am and so yesterday I decided not to go out for dinner, had some room service and go to sleep soon...That was the intention.

So had an early match which is also good since we finished pretty early. With press conference and a promotional act I did for IBATUR (Balearic Islands Tourism Board) at the tournament I was practically done by 3.30 pm. That is also very early for my standards. Other players spend less time on-site but I normally spend a lot of hours.

I have to say it was good to be back early. I got some rest in the afternoon and went for dinner with my team also early. Tomorrow I am playing again, something not common either at Grand Slams, so wanted to take things in an easy way.

Goodnight and thanks,

Rafa

Nighty night baby! :kiss:

http://http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/early-to-bed-and-early-to-rise-at-the-french-open.html

Saturday, May 29, 2010
Ask Rafa: I'm cheering on the LA Lakers

I heard Toni voted for Bjorn Borg as the best clay court player ever on a survey by L'Equipe. I think he's wrong and you are the best. What do you think?
Vanessa, London

Rafa: I don't know, really. I am sure he feels bad voting for me, it looks strange to vote for your nephew, I suppose. You should ask Toni actually.

What did you think of Novak and Troicki impersonating you and Shakira?
Kim, London

Rafa: I haven't seen it yet. I suppose it is funny...

I am a very happy tennis and basketball fan, with you playing so well and the Los Angeles Lakers in the NBA play-offs. Have you been in touch with Pau Gasol and are you hoping he wins another championship? Aly

Rafa: I am many times in touch with him and I hope they win! :D

Sometimes you have to play against players you do not know, like Gianni Mina and Horacio Zeballos. Do you face these kind of matches in a different way then against players you have played for so many years now?
Ana, Madrid

Rafa: Not really. I always try to play my game on these occasions.

You always come across as such a modest person and enjoy your privacy. How do you manage to cope with all the attention you get?
Denzy

Rafa: It is part of the life I have and I try to be nice to everyone. Why change? :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

What you are thinking as you prepare to serve each time?
Beth, USA

Rafa: On where to put it, how to do it, speed, angle...

Why do you always bite the trophy? Why don't you kiss it like the other players?
Rose Dakin

Rafa: I always did it since I won my first tournament.

Do you have any plans to come and see any games at the World Cup?
Carmen Campbell, South Africa

Rafa: I am afraid I won't be able to come but I'll watch it on TV.

Apart from Spain who else will you support at the World Cup?
Lola Myme

Rafa: We'll see.

I really enjoyed watching you and Federer play doubles at the charity matches for Haiti earlier this year. Will we ever see you and Roger play a doubles event together in a tournament? I think you two would be unbeatable together.
Olivia, New Zealand

Rafa: I don't know; I am sure at some point we will play. :spit: :tape: :ignore:

The greatest diplomat ever! :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

http://http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/ask-rafa-im-cheering-on-the-la-lakers.html

born_on_clay
05-30-2010, 04:46 PM
After RG round 3:
The part in bold is especially interesting :)

Q. I have a different question for you. Everyone in tennis loves Roger, respects Roger. He is said to be the best of all time. Yet two out of every three times you play him, you win. You've won six of the last seven times. Who's a better player?
RAFAEL NADAL: You like this. You are focused on the Roger thing, eh? (laughter.)
Yesterday with the clay. Today with the if somebody says I am better than Roger, I think this person don't know nothing about tennis. That's my answer.

Q. How so?
RAFAEL NADAL: Why?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: So you don't know nothing about tennis.
You see the titles of him and you see the titles of me? It's no comparison. So that's the answer. Is difficult to compare Roger with me now, because he has 16 Grand Slams; I have 6. Masters 1000, yeah, I have more than him. But for the rest of the things the records of Roger is very, very almost impossible to improve.

Q. Still, it is interesting when you step out on the court...
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. Still, it is interesting, Rafa, when you step out on the court...
RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.)
Sorry, I interrupt you. What's the question? Sorry.

Q. The question is: Still, for the fans, it is interesting when you step on the court with him, you usually win.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I am No. 2 in the world for five years, so I think I am a good player, too. Sure, I can beat him. No. 2 can beat No. 1. That's the thing. It's not a lot of difference between No. 2 and No. 1 or between No. 1 and No. 10. That's the tennis, and the tennis very close, the level, all the time.
But I can beat him, yes. The same time, the thing is I beat him a lot of times on clay. I beat him on other surfaces, too. But the most of the times I beat him on clay, so I played with him more times on clay than on the rest of the surfaces.

Q. How do you feel at this point in the tournament? Do you feel like you always feel at the French Open coming into the second week, physically and mentally?
RAFAEL NADAL: Physically I'm fine. I don't have any problems, so I happy for that.
Mentally, too. I am with a lot of allusion to play well and to play a good tournament here. And I am doing, you know. I defend my points already, so I think now is all to win.

Q. You will follow the World Cup for football, especially Spain?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I love the football, yeah? I know we won 3 2 today.

Q. Spain is your favorite to World Cup?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, yes. But for the rest, for the Brazilians, it's gonna be Brazil, and for Argentines, Argentina. That's football, no? And gonna be difficult to say something.
I think we have my opinion is we have the best team, but in one competition that all decides in one match. Gonna be very difficult to say something, because just little thing can change the rest of the match.

Q. If you could predict the opening round against Switzerland, what will the score be?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, here we are better. (laughter.)
Not in tennis, but here we are better. That is no comparison to.

Q. On the subject of football, on Monday Mourinho is going to sign to join the Madrid team. What do you think about him and his charisma?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I'm no one here to talk about other people's choices. As a trainer, he's always been a good trainer. He's always done a good job. We'll see.
And also, I think this is simply a follow up of what has been taking place in the last few years.

Q. Can we go back to tennis? We've seen you happier here than when you were on the court. You seemed to be fairly tense. You weren't happy?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was a little bit worried. The weather conditions weren't very good. I don't know. The weather conditions can make for a difficult match.
I saw the clouds gathering. When I walked on the court, I looked at the sky, and I kept looking at the sky because I really wanted to wrap up this match. I did not want to continue playing this particular match tomorrow.
I really want to have tomorrow off to take a break, and also to work. In the first set I believe I played well, then I believe I had a bit of a dip. The second wasn't so good, but the third one, until 6 3, I played well, really well.
I had to play against the wind, I played the whole match really well. I was very comfortable with my forehand, my backhand, but there was the wind. Because of the wind, you know, Hewitt takes the ball really early, and so the ball came to my side fairly low.
Sometimes I had trouble catching the ball because I was playing against the wind. But those were my main difficulties. In spite of all these difficulties, I felt fairly comfortable.

Q. Such a wet day and rain threatening, are you still with your 25 25 strings, or are you going to change?
RAFAEL NADAL: I play 5.5; 26 in Madrid; 25 here. I decided to go for 25.5. I did ask myself the question before the match, but already I had already four racquets at 25.5, and I thought, I'm not going to change everything.

Q. (Question off microphone.)
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, the balls were heavier, and therefore, the fact also that there was no sun, that the courts were slightly wet. This all made for heavy conditions. The balls were heavy, so these conditions were not favorable.
Because the spin that I like to give to the ball simply does not work in those conditions, and Hewitt plays really flat.

Q. Several times we saw you looking at your racquet.
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I only looked at my racquet once, because I took a backhand and I hit the ball. I hit the racquet, sorry, against the ground, and I thought maybe I had broken it. I checked it, but it wasn't broken.
I looked at the frame simply to check for a crack. In Spanish I don't know how to say this, but in my language, in Mallorcan, we say cruit (phonetic.) It's a kind of a crack. (laughter.)

Q. Can you say a few words regarding your next opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, he's top level opponent. I think in 2008 he went really deep into the tournament. The last time I played him he was very difficult. He's a clay specialist. He has recently beaten he has just beaten Ljubicic, so he is quite confident.
It's going to be very difficult, and it will also be a test for me to check my level of tennis.

Q. Three Spaniards reaching the fourth round this level in the tournament. Is that a surprise for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, it was a surprise, the fact that Juan Carlos lost. I could not watch his game, so I can't really make any judgments. But I'm quite surprised that he lost. I saw him he lost the first few sets, and I saw him sort of coming back into the match, but apparently he didn't come back.
And also, I think that David played in a Kamikaze way, and it was difficult for him to stop on time. David played too flat. As I said, the weather conditions today are not favorable. He had a very good serve. That, I noticed.

MariaV
05-31-2010, 04:29 PM
Meh, should I still post the blog entries?

Phewwwwwwww, tragedy averted as of yet. 6-2 7-5 6-4 over Bellucci and into qf. Vamos!

MariaV
05-31-2010, 04:59 PM
OK, I'll post all the blog entries and Q&As for those who want to read them here.

Monday, May 31, 2010
Rafa's Blog: sorry I couldn't sign all your autographs

Hello everyone.

One more day goes by and as I mentioned yesterday, already in the second week. The competition started last Sunday but now the competition gets really difficult. I am playing on Monday for a spot in the quarter-finals and that is something important. I have been saying I have not been playing really well, but again, I practiced really well today so I am happy.

After practice I had to go to see some clients of Richard Mille, yes the watch I wear now and that is really great. My manager Carlos Costa asked me to go and since we finished in a good time and they were there I came to their lounge. I was going to stay there only for 10 mins after saying hello to the people there.

But they had a pretty big screen with the Formula One race on it and they also had some good fish for lunch so we decided to stay there and have lunch while watching the end of the race. Pretty good atmosphere.

I am sorry though for all those fans that were waiting outside to get an autograph. It is really difficult. I would love to sign all of them, specially to those little kids that wait and wait to get one. Hopefully their parents will explain to them how difficult is to sign all of them.

Then I came back to the hotel and played some Play Station with Marc Lopez sometimes my doubles partner in tennis and hopefully my partner doing the karaoke tomorrow, Rafa Maymo and my PR Manager Benito Perez-Barbadillo. Me and Benito are playing better and we managed to defeat them... The competition still goes on!

Thanks, Rafa

They're gonna do the karaoke tomorrow. :eek: :help: :spit: :tape:
http://http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/rafas-blog-sorry-i-couldnt-sign-all-your-autographs.html

Monday, May 31, 2010
Questions for Rafa: how does it feel playing your heroes?

Do you get to watch the junior Spanish players in action? Do you think Spanish tennis will still be strong in the continuing future?
Atchariya

Rafa: Not really since they play on the outside courts and it is quite difficult for me to get there. Spanish tennis has been strong in the past 25 years so I am sure that it will continue like this.

Bon día Rafa from El Toro, Mallorca. I have a very ridiculous question for you! I am totally fascinated by your speed...not just during a point, but I cannot believe how quickly you are able to pick yourself up when taking a tumble on the clay. Is that a natural reaction, or is it something that you have to practise? We hope you bring the Coupe de Mousquetaires back to Mallorca this year. Best of luck!
Belinda Shaw

Rafa: Moltes gracies. The physical condition has a lot to do with that so you need to work on that.

Hello! I just read that you watch Lost and since I love that show I wonder: Did you get to watch the final episode or still haven't? Plus, who is your favourite character? Thanks from Puerto Rico and I love the colors you're wearing on Roland Garros. Vamos y éxito!
Yaritza from Puerto Rico

Rafa: I haven't seeing it yet. I watch it on DVD so I suppose that I have to wait a bit. You are going to have to guess my favorite character... yeap, that's the one!

Hi Rafa, I'm a big fan and I think you're an amazing player and also a great human being! My question is: Do you have any plans of going to college/university after you retire from tennis? Do you take any classes now? What are your future plans? Good luck!
Rukmani (from Munich)

Rafa: Right now I am focusing on my tennis career and I am not really thinking on what comes after tennis. I will decide these thing further on my career.

Hola Rafa, you mentioned in your on court interview that you used to watch Lleyton Hewitt when you were younger. Have you ever found it more difficult to play someone like that, someone you grew up watching. Others players that come to mind are Agassi (before retiring) and Ferrero.
Clare

Rafa: It is funny since I got asked that question today having lunch with some friends here in Roland Garros. I used to watch Moya, Ferrero, Agassi, Hewitt and except for Sampras I played against all of them.

Hola Rafa, I wanted to ask you if you were the president of Real Madrid, what would be your first decision? Congratulations on having such an amazing clay season; you've made me a very happy and proud fan! Muchas gracias and good luck for RG Campeon!!
Manahil, Pakistan

Rafa: Thankfully I don't have that title or position so I prefer to leave it to Mr. Perez to do his own things...

Hi Rafa, you are my favourite tennis player and I want to wish you the best of luck at RG - you are playing great. When you are playing at the Slams do you prefer to stay in the hotels or in a house like you do at Wimbledon? Many thanks!
Arlene McLean, UK

Rafa: Many thanks. This is a very good question. I like staying at a house in Wimbledon since there are not many hotels nearby. But have to say that at the other slams the hotels are very good and I enjoy staying there. KInd of less work also and I can focus more on my tennis, not on my bed, room and kitchen :-) :lol:

http://http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/05/questions-for-rafa-how-does-it-feel-playing-your-heroes.html

Minn
05-31-2010, 07:01 PM
Meh, should I still post the blog entries? Yes, please, Maria. I like reading them here. Thanks.

VS Angel
05-31-2010, 08:54 PM
Next Please!!!

star
05-31-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes, please, Maria. I like reading them here. Thanks.

Me too. :)

It's very convenient. :hatoff: Thanks Maria.

adee-gee
05-31-2010, 10:18 PM
Meh, should I still post the blog entries?
As long as you keep posting the Q&A's ( :hearts: ) I'm happy :D

Rafa is serving painfully badly. Almagro won't be a problem, but I have more worries than I did at the start of the tournament. Berdych would hopefully choke at least.

Getta
06-01-2010, 02:02 AM
Roland Garros - Rafael Nadal interview - 31/05/2010

Ejgblyljf20

born_on_clay
06-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Rafa def. Bellucci:
Q. You beat Bellucci two years ago in three sets, and today again in three sets. Was it more difficult today, and in what way?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't remember exactly, no? But that match was a tougher one in the tournament for me in 2008. That's the true, no?
I don't know. But, you know, my feeling was I was closer to lose a set or something like this in 2008 than today.
But the score was closer this time.

Q. Are we going to have a Nadal/Federer final, or don't you let yourself think that far in advance?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am in quarterfinals. I am very happy to be here, and you will have Nadal/Almagro, sure.

Q. What made this kid so difficult? Because he was left handed?
RAFAEL NADAL: Was difficult, but was in three sets, so every match is completely different. Sure, every match is difficult in fourth round of one Grand Slam. In Roland Garros every matches can be very, very difficult.
Bellucci is a very good play, especially on clay. Good serve, good forehand, good backhand, too.

Q. His opponent was good, too.
RAFAEL NADAL: What?

Q. His opponent was good, too.
RAFAEL NADAL: I played probably my best match today in the tournament.

Q. There are certain shots that can change a match. When you played your backhand pass at 5 All, did you think that was a moment when you established yourself in the match and maybe he was a little upset and perhaps he went down a bit?
RAFAEL NADAL: Was very important moment, because I lost the serve two times. So I had the match under control set and 3 2, 40 15 I think I remember. Playing well in that moment. I had two mistakes: one net outside and another one long.
But without play bad, playing two good points. After that, everything was difficult. Sure, in the 5 All was the key of the match, because after that I gonna serve in the 6 5 with the wind. (In Spanish.)
Q. Between Verdasco and Almagro, for instance before the they played the match, do you have a preference on, Oh I would like to play this or that player, whoever wins, or you don't care about who's going to be the next point? Do you sometimes have preferences on the next round, I would rather play this or that person?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, first thing, I didn't have any preference before because I didn't play, so I was focus only on me. To try to play against Verdasco Almagro, sure later you never know. Believe me.
I don't know if I don't care, but I don't know which one I prefer, I think. Both players are good players. Gonna be very good match.

Q. Can we say that after the Soderling match of last year, this has like made you be even more careful than ever before with the earlier rounds, before the final that you're accustomed?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Same?
RAFAEL NADAL: Same.

Q. You always play your matches at a certain level of intensity. It's always very strong. Do you think it's possible to win this title or win any Grand Slam playing at anything below your best intensity?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me?

Q. For you or for anyone, but for you.
RAFAEL NADAL: I think some players can play some moments more relaxed because they have the serve and they can play a little bit with that, no? But not for me.
Sure, I can play a few games if I have the match under control probably a little bit more relaxed, but not normally not.
I try my best every day. I think every day a little bit better here in this tournament, and that's because I am very focused all the time to improve.
I go on court and try my best in every point. That's what I try.

Q. This was probably a very important victory for you, I suppose. Last year you managed to reach this level, but now you're going to go even further.
RAFAEL NADAL: It's an important victory if you look at the points, that's true. But I knew he was a very tough opponent. It was a very important match for me. I succeeded well because I managed to play even better. I could shoot into the balls the way I wanted to, mainly the backhand shots, but also my forehand.
Unfortunately, my shots were a bit too short. I wanted to have longer and deeper shots. I wanted to improve this. Sometimes, you know, these details are such that the opponent could take this opportunity so as to dominate the game. It's better to have deeper balls so as to dominate the game.
I think I served better today than any other day, and I'm very satisfied because I think I've improved. I've not yet dropped a set. Well, a set, yes. But no, no, I have not yet dropped a set.
The most important thing is that I won my match.

Q. You're going to play against Almagro. He won a set in Madrid against you. What do you think about this?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's going to be very difficult, because the way he plays is really excellent. He's managed to maintain the same level here in the tournament. It's going to be complicated; he's going to be very aggressive. It's normal. He knows how to do this.
And as far as I'm concerned, I'll try and play my way and do my best. I'll do my best so that he feels a bit uncomfortable.

Q. Do you think you could say something about his serve, because you played in Madrid not long ago against him?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I can tell you his second serve is really very good, but there's nothing special about it. The ball bounces back really high. Okay, it's a good serve. Not bad.
In general, his first service and even the second serve are good, are excellent, one of the best servers in the world.

Q. This is your 200th victory on clay. That gives you a total of 98% of victories on clay. This result is even better than Bjørn Borg's. What do you think about this?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't really think that much about it, but it's really good. What I'm thinking about is practicing tomorrow morning, and of course today's match and tomorrow's training and practicing, and then the following matches. All these statistical data, you know, as I've said before, as I'd like to repeat, are quite valid when you've finished your career, but not before.
There's never one day when I think, Oh, okay that's my 200th victory or umpteenth victory. No, I don't think in these terms. We never know when these statistics are still valid or if they're going to continue to be as good.
Now, I can tell you that from the year 2005 onward my statistics have improved, but I never really think about this very much.

Q. I have the impression that this was an easy match. You've not really suffered. Is it something you deserve, or is it due to the opponent and the way he played?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, the match was not easy. It was a very difficult match. Now we've reached quarterfinals, which means a good tournament for most of the players here.
My objectives are still very high and very demanding. All matches are complicated. All players are difficult to play against. It's very important for me, you know, considering what's happened to me in the past months.
I couldn't win last year, as you know, so it was very difficult. I wanted to tell you this, because for 11 months now I've not really won that many matches. I know what it means to win a tournament.

Q. Despite your excellent results, despite the fact that you've not yet lost any sets, you're not boasting about it. You're not that happy.
RAFAEL NADAL: What do you want me to say? Do you want me to jump and shout?
Of course I'm very happy. I'm still in the tournament. I've reached the quarterfinals. But then, you know, this is a press conference, so I'm quite normal. I try and be myself, and this is it.
I'll start jumping when I've won the tournament. For the time being, it's only the quarterfinals. My objective is you know, I'm very demanding and like to be here, but I like to continue and move forward and do my best.

Q. Robin Soderling is ready. He is going to fight back strongly. So what about Soderling's chances? What are the odds?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't really know. He has chances, I think. I think he's not the favorite, but I think he can win. I think he's not yet lost a set. I think he's going to play well.
We can say the same about Federer. I think it's been his 23rd or 24th semifinals. He's not going to lose this, I think.

Q. Well, the second set was very difficult for you. Bellucci made your life harder. Could you tell us more about this, how the end of the set ended?
RAFAEL NADAL: I had the impression I was dominating the court and I had taken control, but sometimes I was playing against the wind. It was very difficult. It was not really the wind. It was a slight breeze.
The other day it was so windy that it was difficult to play when the wind was blowing in your back, but today as well it was difficult. When we were at 3 2, 40 15, I played excellent points. It was a bit difficult at that moment.
But otherwise, I can't really explain this 4 2. I could have had a tighter match. But as you know, what's done is done. We can't play the match again. Bellucci plays really well.
I can tell you he played really well on the points that I gave him, more or less. He took advantage of this. It was a bit complicated for me sometimes.

Q. What seems to be a bit of a paradox is that the only man who could perhaps win Roland Garros could become No. 1 again.
RAFAEL NADAL: If I were No. 1, I would be very happy. But what is important to me is to play well, to play a good match, and, of course, to win the tournament.
And if I am No. 1 or No. 2, never mind. It doesn't really matter. Last year my level was not excellent. I don't really want to think about this. It's only quarterfinals. I'd like to win the tournament.
Now, whether I want to be No. 1 or not is a different thing. To be No. 1 I think I should play a good tournament and reach the finals. We'll see. We'll see what's going to happen next.
If I reach semis, we'll see. In this case I might be No. 1. But if I don't reach the finals, then I think that Federer would be the favorite. Because as you know, the second half of the year is better for my opponents because the other surfaces are more difficult for me compared with clay.
As you know, if it's a hardcourt or other surfaces, the other players play at a high level. But this is pure speculation.

MariaV
06-01-2010, 08:18 AM

Rafa is serving painfully badly. Almagro won't be a problem, but I have more worries than I did at the start of the tournament. Berdych would hopefully choke at least.

:kiss: Anything to make you happy dear. :kiss:

Yeah he just might get past Almugro (if I don't jinx him too much :tape:) but I see no way he could beat Djokovic (or Melzer for that matter) in the semis. :shrug:

MariaV
06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
RAFAEL NADAL: What do you want me to say? Do you want me to jump and shout?
This was really good. :spit: :haha: :haha: Poor Rafa got quite annoyed. :awww: :lol:

Tuesday, June 01, 2010
Rafa's Blog: a win, meeting mum for dinner and the spectactular Eiffel Tower

Hello everyone,

Hope things are well with you reading this blog. I can't complain from my side since I am in Paris in the second week of Roland Garros, something I really wanted to feel again.

It's been a normal match day, with the usual things I do the day I play. Woke up around 9.30, had some quick breakfast and went to the tournament site to get ready for the match. I practiced at 11 am with Marc Lopez, sometimes my doubles partner and a very talented player. He should believe more in his game since he is really good. I have to say that during the warm up I felt really well.

For those who ask what do I do before the match, I simply had some rice and chicken in the locker room and got ready. Shower, taping, grips, warm up inside the locker,... normal stuff.

Today my mother arrived since they have a meeting with some people regarding the foundation. I am saying this since we went out for dinner and had a great time looking at the Tour Eiffel getting illuminated. :hearts: :inlove:

Sometimes, or actually many times I think how fortunate and lucky we are for been able to see these things around the world. This is why I am so thankful to people. I mean it. :worship: :bowdown:

Rafa

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/

Tuesday, June 01, 2010
Questions for Rafa: are you allowed to do any extreme sports?

Hey Rafa, my father was an English cricketer and his insurance didn't allow him to do certain things, such as skiing. Is there anything that your insurance doesn't let you do that you wish you could? Good luck at RG. Laurence.

Rafa: Some of the contracts don't allow me to put my self into risk. But I have to say that I don't even need those... I am staying away from risks in any case... :yeah: But this water jetboat thingy last summer and the motorbike, stay away from them for now!

Hi Rafa. Is there anywhere or anything in the world that you would like to see or visit if you had the time? Thanx Rafa.
Val, UK

Rafa: Yes, many times. But hope I will do these once I stop with tennis.

Hey Rafa! I am a big fan and I was overjoyed when you signed my autograph at the U.S. Open in 08! (you used my pen to sign everyone’s belongings) :-) I homeschool for tennis so I can travel to tournaments. I was wondering what you did for school as a kid with all the travelling for tennis?
Aimee Dervishian

Rafa: I suppose you ask if I was a good student? Not bad, but definitely not the best student...

Hello! Now that your birthday is coming up. What is the best birthday present you ever got? Do you have any birthday wishes this year?
Katri, Norway

Rafa: All presents are nice to be honest. It depends who is giving it to you and the meaning of it.

Hi Rafa, love watching you play tennis, you are my favourite player and I really missed you at Wimbledon last year, can't wait to see you back there. I wanted to ask you what you think of the roof we have at Wimbledon now? Good luck with the rest of the tournament at RG, you are playing great and many thanks for doing the blogs :-)
Arlene UK

Rafa: I think it is good although we won’t see again someone receiving the trophy in the dark... :-)

Hola Rafa, my question to you is if you had to chose between fishing alone at dawn in the Majorcan sea, playing golf with your uncles or playing beach football with your friends what would you chose? Congratulations on having such an amazing clay season; you've made me a very happy and proud fan! Muchas gracias and good luck for RG Campeon!!
Manahil, Pakistan

Rafa: I would choose doing all that in one day. It is actually possible and what I enjoy the most.

If you could ask a question of the tennis journalists attending your presser, what would it be? Best wishes as always.
Natalie

Rafa: I ask them sometimes, believe me...

Hola Rafa! I've read in your blog that you watched the Formula One race last weekend. I was wondering who is your favorite F1 driver?
Ness, Philippines

Rafa: I did, and clearly I support the Spaniards!!! :-)

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/06/questions-for-rafa-are-you-allowed-to-do-any-extreme-sports.html

dal
06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello! Now that your birthday is coming up. What is the best birthday present you ever got? Do you have any birthday wishes this year?
Katri, Norway

Rafa: All presents are nice to be honest. It depends who is giving it to you and the meaning of it.

let's compare it to predicted answers :spit::rolls:

adee-gee
06-01-2010, 10:59 AM
The phrase 'sitting on the fence' doesn't even begin to describe Rafa :o

Why did I think Rafa would play Berdych in the SF ? :scratch: actually I prefer him having to play Djokovic.

MariaV
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
The phrase 'sitting on the fence' doesn't even begin to describe Rafa :o

Why did I think Rafa would play Berdych in the SF ? :scratch: actually I prefer him having to play Djokovic.

Doesn't really matter. I see no way for him beating Djokovic. :shrug: And even if he would he'd lose the final to Fediva anyway, I won't even freak out for that. :o :tape:

dal
06-01-2010, 11:13 AM
i don't prefer anyone really (again learned my lesson from last year :angel:) :tape:

MariaV
06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
i don't prefer anyone really (again learned my lesson from last year :angel:) :tape:

Yeah I mean, I knew he'd lose at RG one day and I was preapred it'd be qf or sf but to lose to Söderling of all people, with whom he had just wiped the court a few weeks before 6-1 6-0, I mean no words... Since then I'm afraid to even think that he'd win a match. :tape: I cursed myself later so much that why in the world did I have to think that naaaaaaaah, he won't lose to Söderling. :tape: :smash: :smash:

dal
06-01-2010, 11:32 AM
same after the rome match i thought soderling is easier to beat, so when i was watching the ferrer vs. soderling i kinda hope soderling would win :sobbing: :bigcry:

and that 4th rd match was my mother's birthday and i was having a BBQ party and all the fedtards of the family were gloating and making fun of me like crazy :rolleyes: :o

born_on_clay
06-01-2010, 02:54 PM
From Novak's presser about Rafa:
Q. You made a very funny video with Viktor Troicki. Can we expect other things this week? Do you know if Rafael Nadal liked it?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I hope he gave a positive comment about it. I heard he stated that he's seen funnier things from my side.
I was sad I didn't do it with him, because then it would be very original. Still, it was a fun I try to enjoy every moment on the court, and of course off the court, as well.
Q. Talking about Rafa, still is one match away, but there's a chance you play him in the semifinals. I wonder what you remember from the semifinals you guys played in 2008 in Hamburg, and if that was the best match you ever played on clay, or at least against him on clay?

NOVAK DJOKOVIC: Well, yeah, that was a great match in Hamburg, but I think even better was in Madrid last year where I had three match points. It was obvious after that match we both kind of lost our rhythm on the court physically, emotionally, and mentally, however you want to put it.
We were exhausted and left out of the tank, and we didn't make such a great results after that. But it was a match to remember. Of course, for me, not in the best way, because I think that was the closest that I got to win against Nadal on clay.
But in case I get to play him here in Paris, definitely I will try to play a similar game that I played in Madrid, because, you know, you need to be aggressive against him. I mean, that's the only way you can win.
Q. You mentioned you're not a morning person. Do you know any tennis player who is?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think Nadal. Any time you wake him up, he's gonna play the same.

Q. When you hear a lot of people talking about Federer and Nadal in the final, I don't think you agree with that. I hope so. But how do you feel about that? Is it better for you, less pressure?
NOVAK DJOKOVIC: I think it's normal to talk about a Federer/Nadal final. I mean, since both of them have been so dominant in last five years, it's nothing unusual, and people expect that. They have played so many Grand Slam finals in the last four, five years.
But I'm in this small group of players behind them that is trying to get that final and force something surprising, you know, something that people don't expect.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/ ... 20330.html

MariaV
06-01-2010, 05:47 PM
Söderling or Berdych in the final, Rafa is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not going to win RG! :help: :help: :o

born_on_clay
06-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Söderling or Berdych in the final, Rafa is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not going to win RG! :help: :help: :o

oh, he is, believe me :devil:

MariaV
06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
oh, he is, believe me :devil:

It's good that you believe. I am soooooooo nervous already, my God. :help: :help:
Rafa on Chatrier tomorrow. :scared: :unsure:

Court Philippe Chatrier
14:00 Start

Women's Singles - Quarterfinals
Serena Williams(USA)[1] vs. Samantha Stosur(AUS)[7]

Men's Singles - Quarterfinals
Nicolas Almagro(ESP)[19] vs. Rafael Nadal(ESP)[2]

Foxy
06-01-2010, 07:39 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :devil:

Getta
06-01-2010, 08:05 PM

from the very beginning, since Rafa and Robin have landed on opposite halves of the draw, i was secretly hoping for a Rafa-Robin final. hope this happens and Rafa wins in style. not a risk-free but viable scenario for Rafa's strength and confidence, that is.

as King Lear warned "nothing will come of nothing". ;)

vn01
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
Come on Rafa.The 1st position is very close.VAMOS!!!

colchetes
06-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Pico thinks so, too:

que paso con ROGER hoy? no vi el partido.. es buena la chance para rafa... se lo merece mas q nadie ! es crack como persona !
http://twitter.com/picomonaco/status/15205740111

star
06-01-2010, 11:24 PM

Don't jinx him getting to the final. :fiery:

Langers
06-02-2010, 06:29 AM
This was really good. :spit: :haha: :haha: Poor Rafa got quite annoyed. :awww: :lol:

That journo got what he deserved, what a ridiculous question. :o :rolleyes:

Bibberz
06-02-2010, 07:54 AM

These Q&As are legendary. :worship: I get more enjoyment out of them than his actual pressers. :D

Hi Rafa, I would like to know if sometimes you ever have to sit back and pinch yourself to try and comprehend what you have achieved so far in your career? Taryn, Australia
RN: I suppose I will do that in the future but definitely not now.:lol:

And this one has made me LOL three (EDIT: four) separate times:

Apart from Spain who else will you support at the World Cup?
Lola Myme

Rafa: We'll see.

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

WTF kind of answer is that? :spit: Why even answer at all? Why not just delete the question altogether?

MariaV
06-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Don't jinx him getting to the final. :fiery:

Sorry sorry... :tape:

Here the legendary Q&A for you boys and everyone else. :D ;) No new blog entry yet. :scratch: I guess our No 1 Fedtard was too shocked to write anything. :( :D

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
Questions for Rafa: how fast can you run the 100m?

Which did you find most difficult last year, watching someone else win the French Open or not being able to defend your Wimbledon title? Ellie Lambert
RN: Not being able to defend my title, that's for sure. I care about me and about what I can and can't do. I played RG and I lost last year. :spit:

Do you know if you will be playing at Queens in London next week? I have tickets and am hoping to see you! Rosie in Chichester
RN: Yes I am playing for sure. :D

Are you comfortable with making so many unforced errors so long as you win? Laura Greaves
RN: Yes and no. I am happy to win but clearly not happy by giving points away free.

How important is winning the US Open and completing a career grand slam to you? Shama
RN: Winning the US Open is important but clearly not the end of the world if I don't. I like to win every tournament I enter but I know the difficulties.

What are your ideal conditions to play in? Xiomara
RN: Sun, heat, clay, good crowds, ... Many things :D

If you could recapture your Wimbledon title this year or win the US Open for the first time, which would it be? Jazz
RN: Both for sure but Wimbledon has been clearly special

How fast can you run 100m? Nina
RN: I am not that fast in 100m. :shrug: :scratch: An answer to BD's liking ;) :o :D

Who is a better singer, you or your uncle Toni? Alala
RN: Good question but I am not sure I have an answer.... :spit:

FormerRafaFan
06-02-2010, 10:08 AM
You know.. Kinda off topic, but.. Soderling was all over the news here yesterday, and every article was about the same thing.. His win and the booing from the French crowd. LMAO. Everyone knows how awful they are.

FormerRafaFan
06-02-2010, 10:10 AM
Pico thinks so, too:

http://twitter.com/picomonaco/status/15205740111

That's what I said.. Pico has a man crush of Rafa! lol

adee-gee
06-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Rafa def. Almagro 7-6(2) 7-6(3) 6-4 :sport:

Only broken once all match :speakles: what next? Rafa actually answers one of the fans questions properly? :eek:

Metis
06-02-2010, 06:01 PM
Nadal-Almagro 7-6 7-6 6-4

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -

tennizen: She won the tournament last year (:mad:) and many praised her amazing foresight. :spit: Seems it was just a lucky guess. :lol:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/6/129046167283669818.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/2926873600)

adee-gee
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
:spit:

tennizen
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Nadal-Almagro 7-6 7-6 6-4

tennizen: She won the tournament last year (:mad:) and many praised her amazing foresight. :spit: Seems it was just a lucky guess. :lol:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/12/6/129046167283669818.jpg (http://cheezburger.com/View/2926873600)

:haha: I am like Trelawney in Harry Potter. Only two predictions ever correct but they are the most important ones.

born_on_clay
06-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Day 11 - Rafael Nadal
Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Q. Last year you had a tough game against a Swede, Robin Soderling. Yesterday he won over Roger Federer. Were you surprised over the way he won that game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, no, for me Roger was the favorite, but Robin played unbelievable. I think his serve was very difficult to return, the first serve and the second serve, too, was very hard.
And from the baseline, all the balls, he touch all the balls. He's 100%, I think, and most of the ones was very close to the lines inside. It's very difficult to win against Robin when he is play like this.

Q. If you will meet him this year again, do you feel that you have a big revenge to take out on him?
RAFAEL NADAL: I never think about revenges. And I am in semifinals against Melzer. Will be very difficult match. So I am focused on that match right now, no?
I gonna tell you that right now. When I go on court, I don't think if I lost last time is gonna be revenge. I never go by this way. I think that's if you think of that, you think this way, your mind is not 100% calm to think what you have to do.

Q. It seemed to me in the first point of the second tiebreak you served and volleyed.
RAFAEL NADAL: You like it today, no?

Q. Yeah. Is that fun for you? All the thinking, is this the right time? Should I try now? Is that enjoyable to think of all the tactics?
RAFAEL NADAL: I gonna repeat the same like last time: I am not thinking I gonna do serve and volley before the serve. But if I see the serve is good and the opponent was like this, I have the chance to go inside?
Today I served much better the rest of the days, especially the slice serve, so I had the chance to go inside a few times, and I did well.

Q. When you do that, is there a satisfaction because maybe it's very clever, very smart that you surprise your opponent?
RAFAEL NADAL: I am satisfaction because I won a point (Smiling.)

Q. How pleased were you with your focus throughout the match today, Rafa? Because Nicolas was hitting a solid, clean ball for most of the match. You have to stay very strong.
RAFAEL NADAL: I started terrible. I started the beginning of the match terrible. I threw all the balls outside. I have a chance in the 2 0. I played little bit better that game, but Nicolas give me the chance himself because he had some mistakes, too.
But after that, was very difficult to play against him, because I came back very soon with the 3 All. So that was very important for me in the first set.
After that was very difficult to have a break on him because his serve is hard, and he was playing very hard from the baseline, touching the ball very well, long with the backhand, with the forehand, and quite difficult, no?
You know, I was a little bit nervous to play as long as I really would like to play. I really wanted to play a little bit longer, but I can't today. But is because of the opponent too, no?
So I am very happy how I played the tiebreaks. I played very aggressive, very focused, and in important moments I think I played better than the rest of the match. That's a very good news, no?

Q. Do you prefer to play Soderling or Federer on clay?
RAFAEL NADAL: I prefer to play that match, because if I have to play that match, well, will be because I am in the final. So for me it doesn't matter the opponent, because I think about my part of the draw.
I know how difficult this is be in the final of Grand Slam, and the player who gonna be there will be the more difficult. If it's Roger, it's Roger. If it's Soderling, it's Soderling.
But I repeat: For me, the thing is be there. When I am in semifinals, it's very good news for me. But remain a lot of work to be in this time final, and a very difficult opponent.

Q. You're facing the Austrian Jurgen Melzer in the semifinals. What do you know about him, and what do you expect?
RAFAEL NADAL: He's playing unbelievable. He played against David Ferrer, I saw him in the match. Last round against who? Gabashvili really was difficult match, too, because Tiemuraz was playing really well, too.
And today is a big comeback against Djokovic playing high level. I saw him in the end of the match playing very aggressive, serving well.
So will be very difficult opponent. If he's in semifinals, is because he's the best of his draw.

Q. Does playing a left hander pose you any different problems?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always is a change a little bit the tactics and a little bit the game. But he's the third one for me in this tournament. I don't hate to play against left handers. I like.

Q. Someone was telling me that you changed your strings in December, January maybe. Are you playing with different strings now this year?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the black. I had before yellow.

Q. Is it just the color or is it...
RAFAEL NADAL: No, it's totally different string, yeah.

Q. Have they helped the spin, or does it provide more difference for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe. I think it's easier to feel the ball. Probably feeling the ball better more times than before, so that's maybe is very important help.
Seems like the ball stays more time on the racquet, so is easier to have the control. I changed the string in December, yeah.

Q. Are you going to celebrate your birthday tomorrow? Because, well, at least this year you're here. Last year you went home and relaxed. But this year you have time.
RAFAEL NADAL: I gonna celebrate during the day, not during the night, I think. I gonna have time at Mallorca to celebrate the birthday during the night (laughter.)

Q. When you're watching Roger last night, are you hoping maybe he will win because he's No. 1, you're No. 2, you're very close, you're the best players so you like the best players to win? Or are you hoping maybe he doesn't win because maybe it makes it easier for you?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, the true is I always love to see the best players win, because I know that the loses for the best players are harder than for the rest.
For example, I sure if I lost today against Nicolas was much harder for me than for him if he lose today. Sure, for everybody is hard to lose, no?
But, well, if I have to say seriously what I prefer to play against, for me, I not thinking this way. We think about the ranking. Sure is better if Roger lost, no? But, you know, I always say the same. I believe if you are No. 1 or you are not No. 1, you can't be all the time thinking about No. 1.
We will see the end of the season what has happened.

Q. That was a very difficult, very tough match, wasn't it, at the beginning, and it was hard?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it was hard all the time. Well, not at the beginning. It was rather easy at the beginning, even for him.
I think that, yes, it was a difficult match, especially from a mental standpoint. I had to return well, and I had the feeling that I was not capable of playing the way I wanted because he was so powerful. I had to be very careful on the serve because I could make mistakes, and this is what I did.
At the beginning I lost my serve, and then I managed to win his serve and not to allow him to break me. When I really needed to play my best tennis, I had the opportunity of doing that.
So I'm very happy I played this match in three sets, because it was very difficult.

Q. In the Melzer/Djokovic match, there were 28 match points, and for you just a few match points. So it was very tight, very close.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, that's a quarterfinal of a Grand Slam. I mean, you can't get an easy match. It's very rare you can get a rather easy match. But those who make it to quarterfinals, they deserve it. They play very good tennis.
So I managed to win, because there were some tiny differences on the tiebreak. So I played better. He had a beautiful game, but I managed to serve well today. And if I won this match, it's thanks to his mistakes.

Q. It's been a long time you've not had a warning from the umpire for the time you take, and at 5 4, did you talk about it with Carlos? Was it about time?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I talked to Carlos because well, on the first one to accept this, because if I deserve it, I deserve it. And I think this put a bit of pressure on me, and then I had to play with pressure.
But these are the rules, and I understand the rules. So if I need a warning, and if I deserve it, I deserve it. They told me already I was a bit slow and taking a bit too much time.
I said I would improve, and at 5 4 in the second set I had this warning because I was taking a bit too much time. I was a bit too slow.
I thought I was being very fast. I didn't even take the time to wipe my face. I need a bit of time to think, and I had the feeling that I was, you know, too much aware of the time. I didn't want to be fined or to get a penalty point. I was making big efforts to be as quick as possible.
But I couldn't be any quicker, honestly. I think the second warning was not a warning I deserved. But, well, okay. I have a watch. I could have watched it. I didn't. (laughter.)

Q. Last year Soderling beat you, and he plays very well; yesterday he won to Federer. So he looks like this giant eater. What do you think about him, and has your perception about him changed?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think that he's more solid from a mental perspective. He's won many matches, so he's capitalized with regards to confidence. He had a very good game level, but he lacked confidence. Now he has that confidence.
And that was strange his ranking was not that good when you consider his level. And in Spain, Fernando Verdasco, that's a similar case. We know he has huge potential, but at one stage well, you know he plays exceptional tennis, but it's a bit late now. He's 26.
Whereas Soderling, well, he started slightly earlier, and he is a great player.

Q. You're in semifinals. That's obviously very important for you. I do realize you're not thinking about the final and being No. 1.
RAFAEL NADAL: It's not I'm not thinking about it. That's the way it is.
My objective is to make it to the final, and then if I come out No. 1, fine. But, you know, it's a long year, and it's probably not Roland Garros that's going to decide it.
But that's not my objective. I want to be focused on each match, and I've seen that my next opponent is very solid. I've seen him play, and all I can well, some of you might think it's a surprise he makes it to semifinal.
But trust me, if he made it to the semifinal it's because he played extremely well. He has an extremely good level, and he is a very dangerous player.
What else can I tell you? Well, I'll try and do my best. I'll try and be positive. In any case, I'll be No. 2 after this tournament. We'll see later.
I think I played better than Murray, Djokovic, so maybe I'll score more points for the ranking. But my ranking will also depend on the final outcome of this tournament. Then we'll see. But I know I have scored many points so far.

colchetes
06-02-2010, 11:56 PM
Ha! I made that avatar (http://hincksia.livejournal.com/5750.html#cutid1). :D

There's a vid for the presser above here (http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/multimedia/index.html), but the best bits aren't there ("You like it today, no?", "I am satisfaction").

10. Hola Rafa, siguiéndote desde el principio pocas cuestiones se me ocurren, pero tengo una...¿qué haces con tu ropa usada? ¡Me encantaría comprarla! Te deseo lo mejor en este Grand Slam y en tu carrera. ¡Un abrazo! María Requena
Mi ropa usada antes que nada se lava, jajajaja
http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/especiales/tenis/roland_garros/2010/consultorio/index.html

Hilarious, gifted comedian, next on SNL, etc.

MariaV
06-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Aaaaaaaaaand today we're blessed with only a blog entry so far. Enjoy. :D

hursday, June 03, 2010
Rafa's blog: late nights, sympathy for Novak and a Parisian birthday

Hi everyone and apologies for not delivering yesterday some lines for the blog. Just answered the questions. It was really late, got late back from dinner and after the physio work I had wanted to go to sleep and didn't have time to think and write. So I only answered your questions. :awww: :hug:

As I expected and not everyone was telling me the same thing or they weren't thinking the same, I had a very tough match today. Very, very tough. It is true that I didn't lose a set, but I have to say I could have lost it easily. Nico played really well and I wasn't playing well at the beginning. Lots of mistakes, lots of unforced errors. You're right about that. :( :mad: Anyway, the fact is that I made it again to the semis here in Paris and I am happy for this step again.

One thing I want to say today is that I saw the end of the match between Novak Djokovic and Jurgen Melzer, my rival in semis and have to say it has been a tough defeat for Novak. I saw the end of it when I came to the locker after all the interviews I had to do for 3 TV stations. :awww:

Now I am back at the hotel after I went to dinner with my father, and my team and going to sleep soon. Tomorrow, or actually today is my birthday and I am happy to be celebrating it again in Paris after I missed this last year!

Many thanks.

Rafa.

FELIZ CUMPLE baby Rafa! :kiss: :kiss: :smooch:

MariaV
06-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Friday, June 04, 2010
Rafa's blog: a Happy Birthday in Paris

Hi everyone,

Short one today since I need to go to sleep in 10 mins max (it takes me more than that to write this blog...)

Had a great time today. It was my birthday and I have to say that I have received a lot of congrats from many people. Already this morning during breakfast, my family and my team were there and wished me all the best. Some jokes from Toni, and from my father on how old I am starting to become...

:awww: :bigcry: :crying2: Our Rafa is getting older and older...

And no I wouldn't miss the Q&As for the world! ;) From yesterday:

Thursday, June 03, 2010
Questions for Rafa: who will win the World Cup?

I heard recently that you have changed your strings this year and that they give less topspin and make it easier to hit the ball deeper. If this is true, why have you taken away a bit of topspin when it is your main weapon, especially on clay? Sam Wallen Russell

RN: It is sort of true. The spin is there and the deepness is something I needed on my shots too. It is a mix and I am feeling great with these new strings. :)

Who do you think will win this years World Cup and who will be the stand-out player? Andy

RN: I don't know but my pick is Spain, Brazil, Argentina or England. The player... I suppose the same everyone is thinking... Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo...

You seem to have an excellent eye for hawk-eye or point challenges. When it's a ball you've hit, is it more the feel that makes you think it was in/out or can you really see it that clearly from the other end? Pip, Sydney

RN: Not from the other end. I am not that sharp... :-)

Are your knees OK so far? Carol, Johannesburg

RN: Perfect, thanks. :D :o

What keeps you so humble? Mathebe, South Africa

RN: I am the same...

What have you done with your Olympic Gold medal? Do you keep it with all your other trophies or does it have a special place? Poonam, Mauritius

RN: Yes, it is at home. I have a place with all the trophies.

Did you give Marc Lopez some advice on how to deal with that huge Court Philipe-Chartier? Beth

RN: hhahahahhaa. A bit. He is a great guy. Too bad he lost yesterday.

What did you think of Roger Federer's defeat to Soderling? Manahil, Pakistan

RN: I think Soderling played great tennis, and Roger did too. In the end the conditions of the court, cold, wet, etc, benefited Soderling. I am sorry for Roger, I know well how tough it is to lose.. Our No 1 Fedtard :rolleyes:

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/06/questions-for-rafa-who-will-win-the-world-cup.html

... and today

Friday, June 04, 2010
Questions for Rafa: have you ever bitten too hard on a trophy?

During your tournament presentations have you ever accidently bitten too hard on the trophy and left a mark on it or hurt your tooth? Jilly S

RN: No, no hahahahah. Funny what you say. But I did once bite it kind of hard and jokingly I mentioned it. :lol:

Are you looking forward to cooking for yourself at Wimbledon this year? Will you be trying out any new recipes? Kim McKenzie

RN: I am looking forward to tomorrow's match, to finish well at Roland Garros, then looking forward to Queen's since I couldn't play there last year and I had committed to the club and the organization to come. And then, obviously looking forward to Wimbledon, but not sure I am looking forward to the cooking part... :-)

What do you think of the French crowd this year? They seem as silent as ever to me. In your match against Almagro they hardly made any noise at all. Tay Green

RN: Everything is well. No problem. Hopefully tomorrow they'll cheer. :spit: :tape:

What did you have for dinner on your birthday? Yaritza, Puerto Rico

RN: Pizza margherita and pasta with seafood. No dessert. :lick:

Happy birthday Rafa. Would your best present would be to win here at Roland Garros? Sia, Canada

RN: Many thanks. And absolutely!!! :D

Being a Las Vegas native, I've always wondered if you like to gamble? JoAnn Chu

RN: Not much but I do go to the Casino in Melbourne and play 100 or 200 dollars from time to time. Not a big gambler definitely.

I've just read that besides Spanish pop music and musicals (oh, yes, the Phantom...) you also like to listen to classical music. Which are your favorite composers? Ruth, Brazil

RN: I don't really listen much to classical music. :o Metis, Andreea and Maria are a bit saddened I guess but we understand, no? ;)

What kind of physical or mental adjustments are needed to go from hardcourt to clay? Kathy, Minnesota

RN: There are many changes in the game. The patience and how to play the point are the main things.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/rafael_nadal/2010/06/questions-for-rafa-have-you-ever-bitten-too-hard-on-a-trophy.html

star
06-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I sort of didn't like it when Rafa said that it was harder for the higher ranked guy to lose and that it was easier for Almagro to lose to him than for him to lose to Almagro. I understood what he meant, but he doesn't know how hard it is for people to lose to him or to Roger.

Metis
06-04-2010, 05:30 PM
Nadal-Melzer 6-2 6-3 7-6

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -

Metis: time to head back home...

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/fig_n3wton/WelcomeToFail.jpg

born_on_clay
06-04-2010, 05:54 PM
into the final :worship::worship:

MariaV
06-04-2010, 07:23 PM
God I am sooooooo not going to watch the final live. I would like seriously die and losing the final to Söderling would be such an embarrassement. :o :o :o
And I'll have a horrible day at work on Monday. Oh joy. :rolleyes: :tape:

06-05-2010, 01:46 AM
God I am sooooooo not going to watch the final live. I would like seriously die and losing the final to Söderling would be such an embarrassement. :o :o :o
And I'll have a horrible day at work on Monday. Oh joy. :rolleyes: :tape:
The 3rd Set just about gave me heart failure today :eek:
I don't know if I can watch the Final or not :scared: I do not like Soderling at all :ras:

MariaV
06-05-2010, 08:18 AM
No blog entries up yet after yesterday's drama. But here the presser. :D

Day 13 - Rafael Nadal
Friday, June 4, 2010

Q. So the first two sets played pretty well, had it under control. Then you went to serve it out that last game, got broken at love, and then it got a little up and down and dramatic at the end, no?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think I played my best match today here in Roland Garros, 2010. Sure, first two sets, for a moment I played really well. With my serve I played all the time well. With the forehand, too. With the backhand I am playing better and better every day, but I can improve a little bit more.
The third set I had completely under control, 5 3, Love 30, so I thought I have the chance to finish there. Because I was playing well and I played good two points in the first two points.
But I had some mistakes, and in the 5 4 I played a terrible first point. I played forehand down the line, three meters outside. I was a little bit nervous after that.
In the end of the match was important the game of 6 5, because I played really serious game to go to the tiebreak, and the in tiebreak I think I played better and I played well.
I had just one double fault. That's the only point that I'm not happy. But I can't say nothing against about myself, because I am serving pretty well all the match.

Q. Do you think Melzer improved? Were you surprised by his performance today, because you beat him rather easy?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think Jurgen is a very talented player. He can play at very high level. He did these two weeks. Just congratulate him, because he amazing two weeks, amazing tournament here. Very, very difficult opponents, like David Ferrer, Djokovic.
So it's a very, very complete tournament, no? So, sure, if he plays at this level he can beat against almost everybody, or everybody.

Q. What do you think about meeting Robin Soderling now?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, difficult match, no? He's playing well. He did very good tournament, and today he came back to win a very good match. So he's very, very dangerous player, no? He's one of the best of the world. And, yeah, sure is gonna be a really difficult match.

Q. You have played him a couple of times, and you had some psychological battles. How would you describe your relationship to him?RAFAEL NADAL: I don't have nothing to say about the relationship. For me, the relationship with him was normal. I had a little bit more tension than usual match in Wimbledon match 2007?

Q. 8.
RAFAEL NADAL: 8, no. No, no.

Q. 2007.
RAFAEL NADAL: 7?

Q. Well, it doesn't matter.
RAFAEL NADAL: 2007? Yes, it matters. (Laughter.)
2007, but after that, no, I didn't have not one problem with him. I think he's doing well, and at the same time he improves his level of tennis. He improve his level of kind of person, no? I think he improve his personality the last year.

Q. How?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think he say more times hello to the rest of the yeah, I am speaking serious. I am speaking in the positive way, not in a negative way. Sure. :angel:

Q. He didn't say hello earlier? :spit:
RAFAEL NADAL: I think he was very shy in the beginning. I think so, no? But I think he improves a lot. For sure for me is good to have a player like Robin playing at this high level in the tour.
It's a different kind of game, and, sure, he's a special one. Because the serve, his very flat shots, are very impressive.

Q. Is it possible just to give an impression of your game this year here at Roland Garros as opposed to your game at this time last year?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is impossible to compare, because last year I was in the swimming pool in Mallorca. Sure.

Q. Well, maybe your approach to this championship this year as opposed to your approach last year.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Well, I think probably I didn't play today I played well, but before today I didn't play my best Roland Garros if we speak in terms of what I feel on court.
But I played my best clay court season before Roland Garros. That's for sure, no? Last year my feeling was I won in Monte Carlo, Barcelona, and Rome, but probably is difficult to understand. It was difficult to understand for me too how I won that tournaments because I felt I didn't play well.
So probably was because the dynamic was very positive, very positive since the beginning of the year. I arrived on clay and I won for that reason, but not for tennis, I think. And when I arrived here and I found opponent that push me to the highest level, I wasn't ready to win.

Q. I know you don't see the match against Robin on Sunday as a chance for revenge, but is it nice to have him over the other side of the net again just to show him that you're pretty useful yourself on the Philippe Chatrier court?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. I want to seriously I prefer to play against Tomas the final, because I won against him the last six times. That's the true.
I play against Robin, gonna be a difficult match. I never believe on revenges. I believe on try my best in every moment, and if I lose, I lose, and congratulate Robin because he did better than me.
But I go on court trying to play my best tennis and thinking about Roland Garros, not thinking about Robin, Tomas, or another one.
You know, for me, doesn't exist revenge in not one match, and especially we talk about final of Roland Garros.

Q. You have so many strong points to your game. What would you say would be the one or two greatest strengths that you bring to the court?
RAFAEL NADAL: Today?

Q. No, overall.
RAFAEL NADAL: Always?

Q. Yes.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I had always a good forehand, and probably the mobility. Probably the mind was, the character was important to improve and to come back after difficult situations, no?
So I think the important thing is the positive mentality that I have. Sure, all the time I want to be better and I want to improve my tennis. I want to improve my shots. I want to improve my position on court.
So in the end the thing is I think the most important thing for me is always I work a lot to be a better player. I think that's my better shot.

Q. I know you say frequently that every match is important, every tournament is important. But after what happened last year, how much do you strongly desire to get your title back here?
RAFAEL NADAL: You know, I'm very happy today because I was pretty nervous before the tournament. I was nervous during all the tournament, but today was before the match I was a little bit more relaxed because I was already in semifinal, so I did a good tournament.
And after the match is the day that I am more happy, no? Because I am there. I am at the last match. I am what I dreamed it to be long time ago.
Right now anything can happen. I can lose, yes. But I arrived there. I arrived to the right in the right conditions, physically and mentally.
So that's for me the positive thing. For me, the last year the harder thing wasn't lose. The harder thing was arrive to probably the most important part of the season in my worst conditions possible.
I was always a little bit nervous about being ready to play in this moment that I need to be to be ready to play my best. I did. I am there. I did all well to try to win.
If Robin play better than me and beat me, I had a very good clay court season. That's what I can say.

Q. Do you think that Soderling and Berdych, they are playing different tennis, more flat, less topspin, less slice, hitting the ever hardest? And still they are successful on clay, which wasn't used the way to be before. What do you think about that change in tennis or in clay courts, these kind of results?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. I no 100% agree on that. If we talk about the clay court season, Berdych or even Robin wasn't the best players during the all clay season. The clay season is not only Roland Garros. We have to talk about Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Madrid.
I think the court here it probably easier for these kind of players. This year I think the court is more slippery. Is difficult to be strong on the court.
That's very positive thing for these kind of players, because is difficult to move well. And for the players, for the specialists on clay, one of the most important things is the movements.
I think this year the court is slippery than the rest of the years. That's my feeling. For these kind of players, is easier to have winners.

Q. What conditions do you prefer on Sunday? Will it be like today sunny and hot or like a couple days ago when it was raining?
RAFAEL NADAL: Always sun. :D

Q. Always sun. Can you elaborate on that one, please?
RAFAEL NADAL: Why?

Q. Yeah.
RAFAEL NADAL: First thing because sun is energy (Laughter.)
Second thing, because everything is nicer with the sun than with the rain, wind, these kind of things.
Third point, because with the sun my ball is getting more topspin than with rain and with the other conditions.
So three points that I think. :D

Q. Just one more thing on Soderling. He takes the ball early; he tries to play flat; he tries to take control of the points. So for you, are the important things to play longer, move him around? Can you just talk about what you have to do to win that match?
RAFAEL NADAL: I have to play well. I have to play well. If I play well, I play long, I play to the side. So I just try to play, play, and play my best tennis. That's what I have to do.
If it's not like this, it will be almost impossible to win over Robin, because he's playing amazing level. He's very aggressive and it's very difficult to stop him.
I know how I have to play to beat him, but I'm not speaking about tactics. I have to play my best tennis, and that's what I gonna try to do.

Q. What about the possibility to become No. 1? Is it as important as to win the tournament, or what about this fact?
RAFAEL NADAL: Is another thing. But believe me, if I win on Sunday, gonna be the last thing that I gonna think. For me, the important thing is the tournament. I always told you before 100 times: For me, to be No. 1 wasn't the main goal for me. The main goal for me is be healthy, try to play healthy as long as I can, and I did this year.
For that reason, because I was healthy and I was ready to play few weeks in a row without problems, practice well, I gonna have my chance to be another time in the top.
But anyway, I'm No. 2. I'm happy where I am. Roland Garros is only one time. No. 1 still there for a few more months.

Q. At one stage someone in the crowd collapsed. Was it a problem to you?RAFAEL NADAL: Well, when someone is sick and collapses, well, I'm very emotional, so it was a bit I was a bit afraid. I was a bit scared because I didn't know what happened.

Q. You were up 5 4, and some people say there is this fear to win with Sampras, with Federer.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know for the others, but for me, yes, it's sometimes true. :o

Q. After 5 4, there was a reaction from the crowd, and the umpire had to ask the crowd to calm down. Can you comment on that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, no. I think so far the crowd has been very correct with me. They've been very nice, and I think they come here to have fun, to watch tennis.

Q. Since you won your first Grand Slam to Gustavo Kuerten, the other finals were to Roger Federer. In these finals, it was more than just a rivalry between two great players. Do you think you'll have a different psychological approach to playing Soderling?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's a different final because I'm not playing the No. 1. I would usually play No. 1. It was against Kuerten the first time, but I think the approach is just the same.
I think I will be as happy or as disappointed if I lose to Robin or to any other player. I don't think this is going to change the way I'll approach the game, basically.
Obviously playing Roger Federer was something special, because we played many finals together. Well, that made me feel something special.
But this time, this year, we can feel it's going to be slightly different even before the final.

Q. You reached the final without losing one set. What can you say about that?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think it's because I played my best tennis here in Roland Garros. I think I started off very well. I played longer shots. I was very aggressive on my forehand.
I was very careful playing on both sides, and I think my serve was excellent during all matches. So I'm quite satisfied.
The only negative point that I was leading and I ended up winning the third set 7 6. But these are very tense matches, anyway. We played a lot, and sometimes, I mean, you have to accept that you become nervous.

Q. You've been talking about being nervous over the last days, so is it quite normal to be nervous for these great finals, or is it special for you here?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, Roland Garros, as compared to other tournaments, Roland Garros is a bit special, especially for Spanish players. Obviously when we feel that victory is within reach, obviously we are slightly more nervous.
In the final in Australia we were nervous, too, but we also feel less responsibility as we do here. As I said, I think that was probably my worst day since the beginning of the tournament today, and that had an impact on my game. :tape:
I don't exactly understand what was going on, because I had good control over the match. So I don't understand what happened, but, you know, I was nervous at one stage. :tape: :o
The important thing is it's all over now. It's behind me, and I'm ready to play my next match at 100%. I'm very happy, very happy indeed, about my attitude all along the tournament. :D :o

Q. If there are any weather changes from now till Sunday, if it starts raining, if it's more humid, is it going to be in favor of Robin? Would you think that the weather is important for the final?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, ask Roger about it. :spit: :haha: :haha: :haha: :worship: :bowdown: I mean, when the court is humid and wet, the ball doesn't bounce back as high. It's much heavier, so it's more difficult to play.
But we're talking about a final here in Roland Garros. I'm not going to start wondering, My goodness, what's the weather going to be like? Are we going to have wind or sun?
Whether it's a sunny day or a rainy day, I will play my best tennis whatever the conditions. :yeah: :worship: :bowdown:

Q. What do you fear most in Soderling's game?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, everything. He has a very complete game. It's very difficult to get a move, because his serve is very powerful, both on the first and the second ball. He's very aggressive from the baseline.
Sometimes he will play long, flat shots. So it's very difficult to make him run and move. Wherever he is, he strikes with a very powerful shot. He won easily to me last year. Obviously I was not at my top level last year.
I'll be up to 100% on Sunday, and I'll do my job. But if he wins, I'll congratulate him. You know, in tennis you can win and you can lose. I mean, it's like in all sports. There is a winner; there is a loser. So I'll be one or the other, but I'll take it as it comes.

Q. This year you won everything. Are you the early favorite, or would you share this spot as a favorite?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think we're both favorites. We both made it to the final, so we both have a chance to win the final.
Of course it's not going to be easy for none of us, but I think it's going to be a tough final. It's going to be the best player win the final, so it's difficult to answer your question.

Q. You always make a very specific analysis of your matches because you see it very clearly. This is what makes a difference between guys like you and Federer and the others. I mean, they have a perfect clear vision of the match right after they walk out of the court.
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't know, really. I've not spoken to anyone after the match. I mean, that's my vision, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Q. The record, Vilas' record that you beat, it was a nightmare. You always played at night. You had won Soderling. There was a storm and you were playing Soderling. Maybe it wasn't the same Soderling, but anyway, there was just Vilas and his girlfriend left watching you.
RAFAEL NADAL: That was more than a storm. That was almost a hurricane. I can't remember exactly how I played, but I remember it was a very difficult match. I won, but I remember the conditions were horrible. But I can't remember the result. I can't remember the score.
The wind speed was 70 kilometers per hour. It was in 2007, wasn't it? It was yeah, I think it was in 2007. It was after Ferrer in Rome.
I'd lost to Ferrer in Hamburg, so it was in 2007, and it cannot be Soderling. Sorry. I didn't play that many matches on clay. I lost in Valencia in 2005. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome. What do you think? Do you think that was Soderling? I won 60 matches to Soderling since 2007? Come on.

Q. (Question off microphone.)
RAFAEL NADAL: No, in 2008 I didn't lose to Federer in Hamburg. It was in '07 in the semifinals.

Q. Okay. You must be right, then. Well, apparently there's not much momentum in his game. He strikes here and there, so what can you do to make some time? Do you need to have longer rallies?
RAFAEL NADAL: It's not a matter of momentum. It's because he hits in a very powerful way. It's not serve/volley, but his second serve is 190, 200 kilometers per hour. It's incredible.

Q. So what can you do against this?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you can play long, make him move, make him run, and it's difficult of course. It's going to be difficult. There is always a solution, and I'll have to find it.
So a good serve, I agree with you. A good serve is key. I don't think he'll have many opportunities of winning my serve, but you never know.

Q. This match against Berdych, did you learn something from it?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, obviously it's a totally different style, so I don't think you can compare.
But at one stage Berdych, in the fourth set, was well, it was as if he was winning, and during the fourth set I thought he played extremely well.
Maybe he lacks a bit of experience to be able to and play a final here. You know, sometimes it's ever so close. He was slightly more nervous than Robin, and I think this is what made the difference.
But as I said, the most important thing is to go all the way to our limits, and then you see what happens.

http://http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-06-04/201006041275676615699.html

adee-gee
06-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Q. The record, Vilas' record that you beat, it was a nightmare. You always played at night. You had won Soderling. There was a storm and you were playing Soderling. Maybe it wasn't the same Soderling, but anyway, there was just Vilas and his girlfriend left watching you.
RAFAEL NADAL: That was more than a storm. That was almost a hurricane. I can't remember exactly how I played, but I remember it was a very difficult match. I won, but I remember the conditions were horrible. But I can't remember the result. I can't remember the score.
The wind speed was 70 kilometers per hour. It was in 2007, wasn't it? It was yeah, I think it was in 2007. It was after Ferrer in Rome.
I'd lost to Ferrer in Hamburg, so it was in 2007, and it cannot be Soderling. Sorry. I didn't play that many matches on clay. I lost in Valencia in 2005. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome. What do you think? Do you think that was Soderling? I won 60 matches to Soderling since 2007? Come on.
Can I have some of what he's taking? :o :cuckoo: :scratch:

acionescu
06-05-2010, 06:44 PM
Stop talking about revenge :sobbing:

VS Angel
06-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Stop talking about revenge :sobbing:

The important thing is he doing his best

@Sweet Cleopatra
06-05-2010, 10:33 PM
The 3rd Set just about gave me heart failure today :eek:
I don't know if I can watch the Final or not :scared:

Me too. I want Nadal to win so bad. I am so scared.

I miss Fedal :sad:

Xristos
06-06-2010, 11:51 AM
A year later Rafa has the chance for revenge!

VAMOOOS!

dav abu
06-06-2010, 11:52 AM
VAMOS RAFA! I'm quite anxious about this one but Rafa should have enough to come through

Metis
06-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Rafa better win this. :mad: We don't want a Comprehensive FAIL in our MIT competition, especially in a Slam. :armed:

MariaV
06-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I cannot stand it, Wilander and Enqvist saying they feel Söderling is going to win this year. :rolleyes: :help: :help: I am surely going to have a heart failure soon. :tape:

Edit: I am so afraid we're headed for a massive failure in MIT though. :awww: :sad: :o

shawshank
06-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Wilander is the biggest ***hole I know. He just hates Rafa. He can't stand the fact that Roger is not in the final. I hope Rafa will prove them sooo wrong!

born_on_clay
06-06-2010, 03:11 PM
bloody hell, Rafa, please just 3 more games ....

Eden
06-06-2010, 03:49 PM
Congrats to Rafa and all of you who have been nervous before this match (or not :p ) :)

What an amazing achievement to win his 5th RG title and his 2nd without dropping a set. Congrats for becoming #1 again.

It was nice to see his emotions on the court :)

06-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Rafa :worship: Order is restored and all is right in the World :bowdown: Rafa 2010 French Open Champion and #1 in the World
:woohoo:

star
06-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Congrats to Rafa and all of you who have been nervous before this match (or not :p ) :)

What an amazing achievement to win his 5th RG title and his 2nd without dropping a set. Congrats for becoming #1 again.

Yes, it's good to see Rafa being happy to win, but I have pride for him being dignified in defeat as well. :)

born_on_clay
06-06-2010, 04:08 PM
truly champion :)
Great day for tennis :)

cobalt60
06-06-2010, 04:10 PM
NID :yeah: Even for the jinxers;)
Congrats all you fans :hatoff:

Foxy
06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
I've gotta feeling...
that tonight is gonna be a good night...
that tonight is gonna be a good night...
that tonight is gonna be a good, good night!

:bigclap::aparty::music::nerner::hug::smooch:

Metis
06-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Nadal-Soderling 6-4 6-2 6-4 :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

1st -
2nd - Getta
3rd -
4th -
QF - tennizen
SF - Metis
F -

No losers today. It's all about WIN!!! :D

acionescu, Betty, Boarder35m, born_on_clay, -Evita-, Foxy, JolanGago, MariaV, Minn, nashty, rafa_maniac, shawshank, Snoo Foo, Topspin_Forehand, Xristos: how sweet it is to win those 2000 points! :hearts:

http://www.google.com/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/upload/2010/03/research_blog_of_the_year/Cloud-win.jpg&sa=X&ei=D8gLTJanOZD-4AaE7uxT&ved=0CAQQ8wc4pwE&usg=AFQjCNFtETd0e_pszCtm_Oxja-6rPw6wNg

MariaV
06-06-2010, 04:23 PM

Thanks a lot, very nice of you to drop by Doris and thanks to everyone else. :hatoff: :hug: :hug:
Oh dear, I was extremely nervous till the very end, so great that Rafa got it done. :worship: :bowdown: Great great achievement and what a relief! Our baby! :hug: :hug: :D I can party now a little! :drink: :rocker: :woohoo:

tennizen
06-06-2010, 04:33 PM
Yes, it's good to see Rafa being happy to win, but I have pride for him being dignified in defeat as well. :)

tennizen
06-06-2010, 04:34 PM
7th GS for Rafito. I guess his retirement is postponed for another year.

*bunny*
06-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Congrats, Rafa!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

A truly great performance worthy of a champion and world No. 1! :yeah:

Ales_Alessandra
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
:worship: :banana: :dance:
Rafa was just amazing this clay season!!! :bowdown:

rafa_maniac
06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
:cool:

adee-gee
06-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Rafaaaaaaa :worship: :dance: :sport:

Sod :bigwave:

What a tournament :inlove:

acionescu
06-06-2010, 05:53 PM
What a thread starter :worship: :worship:

Foxy
06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
BTW, after some calculations, Rafa has spent just 1h and 30 min more time on court than at RG2008. I think it is great news for the upcoming tournaments for him. ;)

Swiss Mountain
06-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Congrats, I never though he was going to win a slam, I didn't expect Robin to play this bad and with bad serve; he was exhausted but play like last year final against Roger, too bad for him and good for rafa, after all this time, he won.

MariaV
06-06-2010, 07:52 PM
What a thread starter :worship: :worship:

+1 :yeah: :worship:

Here the presser, bless him :angel: :kiss:

Day 15 - Rafael Nadal

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Q. I think we could tell by your emotions afterwards that it was a really, really special day for you. How special was it?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Very important victory for me. I think one of the most important victories in my career, I think.
Yeah, I told you 100 times, but was a difficult year for me the last year. So after this tournament last year was a difficult year, and I worked a lot to be here. I was very nervous during all the tournament, because I know before that that I was ready to try to win another time, and I saw the chances there.
But the very positive thing is today I was ready to play. I was ready to play with calm and to try my best and to enjoy the match.
I did, and was a very special day. :D

Q. You got Roland Garros title again and return to No. 1 ranking. So right now, which is more important for you right now?
RAFAEL NADAL: For me, I told you too, no, yesterday and a lot of times, I think that for me it's Roland Garros. This is the most important thing for me, no? (Pointing to trophy.)
After the No. 1 is there, yes. But I was No. 1, and believe me, I am very happy. When I was crying after the match, the last thing I was thinking was on the No. 1.
The first thing is the title and all the hours I worked a lot to be here another time.

Q. Holding back that trophy that had been yours since 2005, and that desire to want to hold it back again after losing it last year, does that explain how you fought in the breakpoints that Soderling had? You didn't lose any break points. Did you put like extra, some super concentration on those points?
RAFAEL NADAL: I try my best in every point. I am in the every week we have weekly, the players, and we have the statistics, and I am the No. 1 on break points saved of the year. So specialist. (Laughter.) :angel:

Q. You always defend very well, but today you are against a guy who has a very big game. Your defense seemed even better than at some times in the past. How did you...
RAFAEL NADAL: Was very difficult to play against Robin. I think he's a great player. But at the same time, very difficult to play against because he has a big serve, very flat shots are long from the baseline, very good shots from both sides, forehand and backhand, and is very difficult to control.
It's almost impossible to have the control of the points against him. Today I felt great physically. I felt perfect mentally, too. I run. My movements was much better today than the rest of all the tournament.
So I am very happy how I played today, because I play with very good tactic, I think, and the movements was at my best level today.

Q. You win so many titles. Why do you say this one is the most important?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I didn't say it was the most important. I say it is one of the most important.
Is important because is one of the most important because I had difficult year, and for some moments was difficult to accept the injuries and everything. You know, for moments you don't know if you are ready another time to compete, you are 100%.
At the same time, sometimes is a big frustration when you are in US Open and you broke your an abdominal one week before and you are in Australia and have to retire during the quarterfinals match.
So all these moments are difficult to accept. I was there all the time, and for that reason, today is a very, very special day for me.

Q. Two days ago you said you preferred a sunny day, like sun is energy for you.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. But today is not very sunny day. It was rainy in the morning. So could you explain what kind of condition it was out there today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Maybe I had a mistake before to say I would love to have a sunny day. Maybe it was better to have a day like today, cloudy. I don't know. I don't know.
My feeling before the match was we have a sunny day with hot, the bounce gonna be bigger and gonna be easier for me to control his ball.
But in the same time, this year the court is more slippery than usual. With this weather, the court is more normal clay court, you know.
At the same time, I can run better. I feel more (through translation) stable on court than when the court is very dry. So that's the very important point for me today.

Q. What I think you said was that this was the most emotional moment of your career.
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. No?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't say that. (Laughter.) I say it is one of the more important moments in my career. But no, final of Wimbledon was amazing; second title here was amazing, and the first one, too.

Q. When you won, did you feel that this was a triumph of all the hardships that you've experienced over this past year?
RAFAEL NADAL: The feeling is when you win you know how many hours you had on court, how many hours you was thinking and working to play your best tennis, how much time you wait to win another time a title.
For me was 11 months without win a title, so a lot of tournaments going back to home without a victory. A lot of moments, difficult moments, because in a few of these tournaments I had to retired for the problems.
So is difficult moments to accept I say before, and this, sure, it's very important for me. It was personal goal to be back at my best. So I did.
And for me, sure, the important thing is Roland Garros. But for me the biggest thing is the personal satisfaction to be here, to be here another time and to be at the top level.

Q. I don't want to move on too quickly, but can you confirm, when will you first step on a grass court, and how is this gonna help you with your preparations for Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: The title here? I didn't understand.

Q. Everything that's happened here...
RAFAEL NADAL: The confidence always is the most important thing. So winning here and winning the last 22 matches on clay is always very good preparation for grass.
So tomorrow in afternoon I gonna be practicing on Queen's for not a lot of time. For 45 minutes. Maybe I will love to play doubles on Tuesday there to prepare.
And later, sure, I gonna play, I think, singles on Wednesday. So I love this tournament. I love Queen's always. I enjoy a lot to be there. It's different tournament because you play in a club. That makes the tournament very special.
I am feeling great all the time there.

Q. Was there any point in the past year where you feared that you would not get back to this level of tennis? Did you fear that, you know, to yourself, Maybe I won't be there?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure. I think everybody have doubts, have his doubts on himself, no? I am not an exception.
And, sure, for a moment when I worked a lot at home during all December, my feeling was I was in perfect conditions to try to win in Australia because I played really well in Abu Dhabi and in Doha, too.
And when I had to retire from there was very difficult moment. Go out of court in any tournament is very hard, especially in a Grand Slam.
Sure, the biggest or most important thing is not the match that you are losing the match, the harder thing is you gonna be another three weeks without practice at home recovering. So that's hard for me.

Q. When you were sitting on the bench today with the towel in your face, in the towel, what was going through your mind?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I was there crying, but was really emotional moment for me. But probably is because of the situation. I didn't thought about a lot of things but the moment, and after, a lot of nervous, a lot of pression for me and a difficult year.
After you win this big title is, everything is you lose your tension. I don't know.

Q. Did you learn anything this season about how much is necessary to play before coming into Roland Garros, and how does your body feel now compared to previous years?
RAFAEL NADAL: I didn't understand the first thing.

Q. Did you learn something about how much you need to play before the French Open this year? Second, how does your body feel physically compared to the last few years coming out of this tournament?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no. You know, I played three tournaments before Roland Garros. That's the usual thing. In 2005 I play three, I think. Yeah, I played Monte Carlo, Barcelona well I played in Valencia, but I played Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome. I didn't play Hamburg. 2006, I played Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome. I didn't play Hamburg.
And 2007 and 8 years I played all four. But I don't know. It's depends of the moment. I think for me this year probably because I had a lot of problems on the knees, so I decided to play only three weeks.
But you never know in the future what's going on. And, sure, three tournaments the problem on tennis is you can't say, I gonna play three tournaments, because if you lose early you play five matches.
So is depends of the matches you play, no? If you win three, sure, it's enough. But if you lose in the first round, second, third round, this can't be enough of tournaments for me. So depends of the victories.

Q. Can you compare physically how you feel now versus last few years?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, physically I feeling great. I didn't have any problems, so that's the most important thing for me. Because if I am healthy again, enjoy playing tennis, that's the main thing.
If you have problems, is impossible to enjoy and is very difficult to play at your best, because you have too many problems. If you think about the knees, you can't think about the ball.
You can play with pain, but not... (through translation) You have a pain that limitate your movements, is impossible to play at the best level.

Q. Because you weren't able to defend your title last year at Wimbledon, do you go in with the mentality that you are a defending champion because it's your first opportunity to go back? What sort of mentality will you go in now that you are once you again French champion?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, see the points I have, so everything is improve. No, no, I not going thinking about I was the last champion. Two years happen after my victory, so a lot of things change.
I gonna try my best like I did every year to arrive there in my best conditions. Last year wasn't possible. This year I gonna do the same like I did every year: play Queen's, have a few days at home, and before Wimbledon practice there. Wednesday I think I gonna arrive there.
And that's all. That's all. That's what I can say I gonna do. I gonna try my best every day to adapt to the grass as fast as possible.

Q. Do you feel like the best ever on clay now?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, I sure that the numbers are unbelievable for me, no? I never thought to have the chance to win this tournament, five titles, five times or Monte Carlo six or Barcelona five, I think, too, or Rome for me five.
For me, that's more than a dream. When I see these titles and these numbers, for me is amazing. I don't know how I did.
But first of all, you gonna be very arrogant if I say for myself I am the best of the history. Second thing, I don't believe I don't believe I am the best of the history. I try my best every day, and we will see when I finish my career. I not gonna be who decide if I am the best or not. You maybe, but not me, sure.

Q. Will you celebrate tonight, or what are the plans?
RAFAEL NADAL: Difficult to have a big celebration if you have to practice tomorrow. (Laughter.)

Q. No party?
RAFAEL NADAL: I gonna have time, eh? At the summer at home after Wimbledon, Mallorca is unbelievable celebration to do. (Laughter.) :D

Q. Let me ask my question again. You spoke in French to the French crowd. Will you end up being a diplomate? :lol:
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm not very smart with languages, but I have no shame talking in a language which is not mine. I was very shy, but I'm recovering from that. I have no problem with that. At the beginning I spoke very bad English. I could not understand anything, but I have improved.
As for French, I understand French pretty well. I can understand almost everything when they speak slowly, because it sounds like the Spanish and the language we speak in Mallorca, so I can try and speak it even if I speak it badly. :D

Q. Why would you bite the Cup each time? Is there a story behind that?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I did that in Monte Carlo for the first time during my first Masters, and then the journalists asked me to do it again for the picture. I do it just to please the photographers.

Q. The Spanish flag you were supposed to wear, were you wearing it today?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, it's a fan who gave it to me in Madrid, and he said it's going to be good luck.

Q. What kind of objectives do you have for Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: I think I'll be top seed in Wimbledon, because that's a tournament I am very comfortable with. But please let me enjoy this day before I start talking about Wimbledon. Please give me that time to savor the moment, because it's really a special moment for me.
Tomorrow when I start practicing in Queen's, then we can start talking about Wimbledon. But first, let me appreciate the day. I was very fortunate my friend Marc accepted to play the doubles with me. So I'll prepare to get ready for the tournament in Queens.
This is a big favor, because I don't think I'll be his best partner in doubles. But I'm very happy. I'll try and practice and spend as much time on the court this week to, you know, find my momentum on grass.
That's my objective. I'll try and arrive as prepared as possible to play my best Wimbledon ever.

Q. One of your major objectives was Roland Garros, and you won. Now, what's your second most important objective? Would it be to be No. 1 in the world, to win Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I think winning any other tournament would be better for me than being No. 1 in the world; winning at Wimbledon or the US Open would be incredible for me.

Q. You're back to your 2008 level. You even exceeded that. How far are you planning to go, and would you say that you're in the same shape as 2008 or better?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, I don't like making comparisons. I don't want to compare, and I don't want to compare to 2008. I'm very happy about the way I play.
I'm very happy I can play. And as you all know, Roger Federer played very well and he was very happy he played in Australia and Miami, and it's just the same for me.
I'm just happy I can maintain my game at this level for as long as I can. And to achieve that, I need to be in very good health. So I do everything I cannot to get injured. That's how I can go through difficult moments.
You always need to learn from difficult moments to face the future.

Q. Could you explain your tears? Were you crying of joy?
RAFAEL NADAL: Relief, joy. Joy, certainly. It was a great personal satisfaction, because my family, my team, myself, all those who supported me and helped me be back...
Well, it's true that I played this tournament with more anxiety. I was slightly more nervous than usual. I went through difficult moments because I couldn't find, you know, my momentum on the court.
Then it was very emotional, you know, winning, and last week Astruch died. I was very sad. I couldn't attend the funerals, and this was a delightful woman. We miss her, and that was very sad for me.

Q. Can you tell us again the relationship you have to this clay here in Paris?
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, how can I say? I mean, when I was a kid, I did not consider myself as a clay court specialist. But apparently since 2005, well, clay has been the surface of which I achieved the best results and which I best adapted my way to move and to play.
Apparently my game is perfectly suited to this surface. I love it with all my heart, because it gave me so much joy. Winning here in Paris is ever so special.
All tournaments I win give me huge satisfaction, but winning a Grand Slam tournament here in Paris, despite the fact I lost last year because I was not well prepared and I had very low morale last year, as well.
But this time I'm back. I'm back and I win. Maybe this is the tournament I most wanted to win.

Q. So you've equalled McEnroe and Wilander's record. Do you consider yourself as a great tennis player?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, that's exactly the kind of question I don't like, because then people say I'm arrogant, that I'm fat headed. What do you mean, being a great player?
As I said, I try to play my best tennis, to play my best game, to do everything I can. If figures and statistics say I've been a good player over the last years, well, I'll continue and play as best as I can to maintain those figures as long as I can.
As I said, it's a huge pleasure for me to be here in Paris. I am in Paris. I won in Paris. I'm very lucky, and I was very fortunate in life to have had the opportunity of experiencing all this at the age of 24.
Never in my wildest dream would I have dreamt of such beautiful presents. Life was very kind to me. :D :kiss:

http://http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/interviews/2010-06-06/201006061275848073382.html

adee-gee
06-06-2010, 08:14 PM
"fat headed" :rolls:

Metis
06-06-2010, 08:55 PM
Adam :worship:

I was very fortunate my friend Marc accepted to play the doubles with me. So I'll prepare to get ready for the tournament in Queens.

This is a big favor, because I don't think I'll be his best partner in doubles.

star
06-06-2010, 09:27 PM
Cutting out the parts I like best.

But first of all, you gonna be very arrogant if I say for myself I am the best of the history. Second thing, I don't believe I don't believe I am the best of the history. I try my best every day, and we will see when I finish my career. I not gonna be who decide if I am the best or not. You maybe, but not me, sure. :angel: :kiss:

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I'm not very smart with languages, but I have no shame talking in a language which is not mine. I was very shy, but I'm recovering from that. I have no problem with that. At the beginning I spoke very bad English. I could not understand anything, but I have improved.
As for French, I understand French pretty well. I can understand almost everything when they speak slowly, because it sounds like the Spanish and the language we speak in Mallorca, so I can try and speak it even if I speak it badly :yeah: [ I love this. He's basically saying, you think I can't speak French? bah. It's just like Spanish. English!! That was the hard one and I did it all the time even though I couldn't understand anything! :p ]

But please let me enjoy this day before I start talking about Wimbledon. Please give me that time to savor the moment, because it's really a special moment for me.
Tomorrow when I start practicing in Queen's, then we can start talking about Wimbledon. But first, let me appreciate the day. :yeah: Rafa keeping the wolves at bay. :yeah:

Relief, joy. Joy, certainly. It was a great personal satisfaction, because my family, my team, myself, all those who supported me and helped me be back...
Well, it's true that I played this tournament with more anxiety. I was slightly more nervous than usual. I went through difficult moments because I couldn't find, you know, my momentum on the court.
Then it was very emotional, you know, winning, and last week Astruch died. I was very sad. I couldn't attend the funerals, and this was a delightful woman. We miss her, and that was very sad for me. :awww: :awww: :awww:

No, that's exactly the kind of question I don't like, because then people say I'm arrogant, that I'm fat headed. What do you mean, being a great player?
As I said, I try to play my best tennis, to play my best game, to do everything I can. If figures and statistics say I've been a good player over the last years, well, I'll continue and play as best as I can to maintain those figures as long as I can.
As I said, it's a huge pleasure for me to be here in Paris. I am in Paris. I won in Paris. I'm very lucky, and I was very fortunate in life to have had the opportunity of experiencing all this at the age of 24.
Never in my wildest dream would I have dreamt of such beautiful presents. Life was very kind to me. :worship: :worship: Keep it humble baby! :yeah:

l_mac
06-06-2010, 09:41 PM
The woman who died was one of the Spanish doctors.

Here she is with Rafa at a DC tie.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8342/7225961703942gbh6.jpg

acionescu
06-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Who died? :confused:

Metis
06-06-2010, 09:55 PM
:sad: I was wondering who he was talking about there.

Chair Umpire
06-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Wilander is the biggest ***hole I know. He just hates Rafa. He can't stand the fact that Roger is not in the final. I hope Rafa will prove them sooo wrong!

Just out of curiosity: Which kind of things have been Wilanders saying to inspire this comment?

Mimi
06-07-2010, 01:23 AM
:bowdown::bowdown: oh my god, thanks Adam, all hail king Adam for starting this thread

thanks god that rafa won, shut the haters up:bowdown::woohoo::haha::yippee::aparty::couple:: rolls::cat::dog::inlove::singer::aparty::tennis::b anana::rocker::crazy:

mahRAHT
06-07-2010, 01:49 AM
:bowdown::bowdown: oh my god, thanks Adam, all hail king Adam for starting this thread

thanks god that rafa won, shut the haters up:bowdown::woohoo::haha::couple::rolls::cat::dog: :inlove::singer::aparty::tennis::banana::rocker::c razy:

I had to came and say how amazing rafa played today, wowwww
and yes nice bum too.

:drink::drink:so let us party;):worship:

and wait for queens, someone do queens thread.;)

star
06-07-2010, 02:27 AM

thanks god that rafa won, shut the haters up:bowdown::woohoo::haha::yippee::aparty::couple:: rolls::cat::dog::inlove::singer::aparty::tennis::b anana::rocker::crazy:

:) :) :)

:hug:

Mimi
06-07-2010, 04:23 AM
:) :) :)

:hug:

:hug::smooch::hearts:

Castafiore
06-07-2010, 08:01 AM
The woman who died was one of the Spanish doctors.

Here she is with Rafa at a DC tie.

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/8342/7225961703942gbh6.jpg
Touching picture, that. :awww:

I remember when that picture was taken. Rafa praised that doctor to the sky and back.

GrandSlam1985
06-07-2010, 11:19 AM
The trophy returns to its right owner...Rafa is back. As always very focused, very determined...las ganas españolas!!!

Congrats Rafa on a brilliant tournament!!

Castafiore
06-07-2010, 01:52 PM
This is another picture of Rafa with doctor Asuncion Estruch
(she was quite young, still in her 50s)

http://www.rfet.es/media/image/noticias/web/1361_Foto.jpg

http://www.rfet.es/noticias/det/El_tenis_espanol_de_luto_por_el_fallecimiento_de_l a_doctora_Asuncion_Estruch/1361.html

shawshank
06-07-2010, 04:06 PM
Hahaha! The took Rafa today to Disneyland for a photo session with the trophy :D
Here is the movie from that nice event :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dwT1vbBXE

Matt H
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Hahaha! The took Rafa today to Disneyland for a photo session with the trophy :D
Here is the movie from that nice event :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dwT1vbBXE

Sweet video, Shawshank. Thanks for posting. Rafa looks great in red.

It's amazing to me the public obligations a champion has to go through after winning a big title. Rafa must be running on adrenaline, because his body (and mind) must be ready for a break soon...AND he has to be ready to play on grass in just a few days!

mahRAHT
06-07-2010, 10:48 PM
This is another picture of Rafa with doctor Asuncion Estruch
(she was quite young, still in her 50s)

http://www.rfet.es/media/image/noticias/web/1361_Foto.jpg

http://www.rfet.es/noticias/det/El_tenis_espanol_de_luto_por_el_fallecimiento_de_l a_doctora_Asuncion_Estruch/1361.html

hello everybody, i wonder i am having very bad day, sorry, i can't look

this up, could sameone just tell me, why the doctor died?

nadal plays tomorrow doubles they say but is fifth on the list, i wonder, if there

will be time for his match, anyone try work out around what time it could be,

star
06-07-2010, 11:20 PM
Here is a great big picture of Rafa with her. I don't know why she died but probably it was cancer. They mentioned that she already didn't feel well at the time these pictures were taken at the Davis Cup competition and all the players were hugging her.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd50/gandaines/captions/PDVD_053-1-1.jpg

mahRAHT
06-08-2010, 12:17 AM
[QUOTE=star;10020814]Here is a great big picture of Rafa with her. I don't know why she died but probably it was cancer. They mentioned that she already didn't feel well at the time these pictures were taken at the Davis Cup competition and all the players were hugging her.

STAR, THANK YOU

for the information and being decent to me, i thought all the normal

people had gone elsewhere,

is it agaist the rules for me to write the ms broad have gone nuts!!

thanks again, any ideas about tomorrow, or is this the wrong thread,

marat safin did say that nobody could beat, nadal at the french i hope

its the same at queens and wimbledon, althought, queens i just don't see

any problem the man is a power house..:worship::worship::wavey: