Grosjean's physical problems prove to be too strong; he's announced his retirment [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grosjean's physical problems prove to be too strong; he's announced his retirment

andy neyer
05-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Two-time Wimbledon semi-finalist Sebastien Grosjean has announced he will retire from tennis at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old Frenchman has been plagued by injuries over the last couple of years and has seen his ranking plummet to 546.

Grosjean said: "I am going to stop playing at the end of the season. It is not really my decision, it is my body that has persuaded me it is time to do so."

The Marseille player joined the ATP Tour in 1996 and enjoyed the best spell of his career at the start of the new millennium, reaching the semi-finals of the Australian Open and French Open in 2001.

He won his only Masters Series title in the same year on home soil in Paris, helping him to qualify for the year-end championships, where he was beaten by Lleyton Hewitt in the final.

Grosjean was particularly dangerous on grass and made the last four at Wimbledon in 2003 and 2004 having reached the final at Queen's Club in the same years.

He helped France win the Davis Cup in 2001 and achieved a career-high ranking of four in October 2002.

Grosjean has not asked for a singles wild card at next week's French Open because of his fitness struggles but he will be playing doubles with countryman Richard Gasquet.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gZ_X3gLX0Wt0jnxkrj2BrmDWlUIA

Always liked this guy. Hope he has a good life in retirement.

kooties
05-21-2010, 04:22 AM
great guy, will be missed

Kolya
05-21-2010, 04:23 AM
Great especially for his small stature.

Awesome forehand.

I was always disappointed that he lost to Clement in the 2003 AO SF.

Filo V.
05-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Very sad this is the way he has to go out. Loved his game more than probably any French player I can remember watching, and seemed really smart and classy as well. Will be missed.

a_boy
05-21-2010, 04:49 AM
Aww no. :( He was part of some fun matches at Wimbledon. It's always a shame to see a player like him go.

Ibracadabra
05-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Can't say it's surprising but definately makes me feel sad. He was once a top player and now losing in grand slams to turkish players.

Johnny Groove
05-21-2010, 05:05 AM
Seb :sad:

A true inspiration to all 5'9'' tennis players.

Smoke944
05-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Damn. He have any PR uses left?
Anyway, his forehand is one of my favorite shots of all time.

oranges
05-21-2010, 06:44 AM
:sad: All the best in post tennis life, Seb

Anyway, his forehand is one of my favorite shots of all time.

So true :hearts:

The Magician
05-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Very talented guy and a huge underachiever. A real shame that he never made the Wimbledon final, but true tennis fans will still remember him.

Check this bad boy out:
wCNoKp0xhUY

ossie
05-21-2010, 07:20 AM
good riddance

Hewitt =Legend
05-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Shame it had to end like this but its the right decision.

All the best in retirement Seb, one of the good guys on the tour.

Horatio Caine
05-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Have been a big fan of Grosjean over the years, and it is a shame that he couldn't retire on his own terms. :sad:

Enjoyed watching him play...for someone that isn't the tallest (5'9) he had a tricky serve (especially on grass, to the AD-court) and that forehand was a thing of beauty. :inlove:

He should have performed a little better in the Slams...certainly choked away that opportunity in 2001(?) to reach the Australian Open final (l. Clement). And he was an absolute menace when Henman was trying desperately to win Wimbledon! :mad:

He is an example to new players today...a good sport on court, and you could often see that he was enjoying himself. Had the pleasure to watch him play doubles with his best buddy, Clement, on a couple of occasions and that was pretty fun to watch. :lol:

All the best Seb.

Taz Warrior
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
All the best Seb :yeah: Sad to see you go but it's the right time :sad:

Luinir
05-21-2010, 09:02 AM
Can't say it's surprising but definately makes me feel sad. He was once a top player and now losing in grand slams to turkish players.

Whats wrong with Turkish players :p

I'll miss you Seba :wavey:

scoobs
05-21-2010, 09:02 AM
I'm guessing he wants to bow out at the Paris Indoors, which he won in 2001.

It will be sad to see him go, a fun player to watch, especially on the grass.

Sophocles
05-21-2010, 11:59 AM
A shame. I'll never forget seeing him demolish Henman at Wimbledon.

leng jai
05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Quality player with an immense forehand. His physical limitations and joke of a backhand prevented him from potential slam glory.

Adri89
05-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Seb :sad:
The best French player in the 2000's IMO.

And the first player who gave me an autograph, in 2002 I believe :lol:
You'll be miss.

Forehander
05-21-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm seriously in tears reading this... I knew it was coming sooner or later but it's just hard to take. He's the reason why I started playing tennis and will forever be my favourite player of all time. I wish you all the best Sebastien! Before you retire though I just want to tell you one last time that your backhand is a real piece of trash...

StevoTG
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
It's a shame that he's not going on his own terms, but he's had a career to be proud of. All the best Seb :hatoff:

star
05-21-2010, 02:47 PM
He's 32 now, right? That's normal retirement time for a player. He was never one of my favorites, but I've always thought he was a great guy. I'm sure he's going to have a wonderful life with his wife and children.

n8
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Very talented guy and a huge underachiever. A real shame that he never made the Wimbledon final, but true tennis fans will still remember him.

I wouldn't call him an underachiever, he had a pretty awesome career. Unbelievable forehand. Good on all surfaces. I remember he is the only player to beat Moya as the world number one (Miami 1999). The two of them had quite a history with three of their six matches decided by a third set tiebreaker and another Moya won 3-6, 7-6(10), 6-1.

Jelena
05-21-2010, 08:46 PM

If someone calls a #4 career high "underachieved", then everybody who didn't reach #1 is an underachiever. :rolleyes:

It's always stupid if an athlete is forced out of his sport because of injury. Though Seb was never one of the players I really followed closely I will miss him.

Enjoy your life in retirement, Seb :wavey:

Forehander
05-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I want to post a video of Grosjean from YOutube. Can somebody help me out? I tried the embed thing but doesn't seem to work when I paste here

star
05-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I want to post a video of Grosjean from YOutube. Can somebody help me out? I tried the embed thing but doesn't seem to work when I paste here

Did you do [youtube][youtube] only with a /before the last one?

Or just post the link and someone else can rig it up.

Filo V.
05-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Hard to call a short guy with a below average backhand and an overall quite generic game(with some versatility and flair) an underachiever. He did well to do as good as he did. And his forehand and the power he could generate with it due to his superb timing was great to watch, it was such a clean shot. I never realized how much I liked him until now, but he definitely will be missed a good deal by me. Hopefully he retires in his home country in Paris at the end of the year.

n8
05-22-2010, 02:31 AM

Take the url from youtube video (e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kg1zgLWo6nI)

Take code after '=' (e.g. Kg1zgLWo6nI)

Put this code between [youtube] and [//youtube] (e.g. [youtube]Kg1zgLWo6nI[//youtube])

Take out one of the '/'

Done!