Rafa playing Madrid was a mistake according to Lendl [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa playing Madrid was a mistake according to Lendl

Persimmon
05-20-2010, 08:14 PM
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=5478&zoneid=9

Some interesting opinions offered here in regards to upcoming French Open tournament.

Do you think Nadal made a mistake by "sweeping" all clay masters and overextended himself? Did Federer really gain more from the loss than Nadal from his win? Does the fact that Nadal's level seemed to drop as he progressed through the tournament will carry on to RG? Is there a "ball basher" who can capitalize on this?

Opinions?

Sophocles
05-20-2010, 08:32 PM
Had he played Barcelona as well, then he might have overplayed. As it is, I don't think Madrid was a mistake. Last year Federer, who is a lesser clay-court player, didn't seem to have too much trouble adjusting to R.G. after winning Madrid. It wouldn't surprise me if Nadal showed the same form at R.G. as he showed at Monte Carlo.

Sillyrabbit
05-20-2010, 08:34 PM
I don't think his levels dropped because he was get fatigued, I think different conditions in MC compared with Rome and Madrid coupled with the class of players he played getting tougher(though the flat Dologopov performance was an exception to this). Unlike last year when he entered this tourney injured and with lots on his plate, he says he's fit this year and skipped Barcelona, fatigue should come into it much

But I agree wholeheartedly that he should have sat out Madrid. It's a stupid, disorganized, badly timed Masters.

ShotmaKer
05-20-2010, 08:37 PM
Had he played Barcelona as well, then he might have overplayed. As it is, I don't think Madrid was a mistake. Last year Federer, who is a lesser clay-court player, didn't seem to have too much trouble adjusting to R.G. after winning Madrid. It wouldn't surprise me if Nadal showed the same form at R.G. as he showed at Monte Carlo.

me neither.

r2473
05-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Ya, he's in real danger of losing this one.

I would sooner bet against Secretariat.

Arkulari
05-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Madrid is not well timed, but it wasn't a mistake to play it because he didn't play Barcelona, had he played both, then yeah, that would have been stupid

Rafa is going to win RG this year, I don't have any doubt about it :)

Har-Tru
05-20-2010, 08:47 PM
Great article, agree completely.

Federer will win the French Open.

tennisfan856
05-20-2010, 09:01 PM
lendl is absolutely right here on the technical side of things, but he isn't the most patriotic man. He wouldn't understand that Nadal was playing for his nation more for than the points. Typical Lendl, right on the logic but off on the emotions.

Commander Data
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
I don't see a reason why Nadal should not have bagged that master title. Nadal can adjust to RG with ease. Every win will make him tougher to beat.

Billups85
05-20-2010, 09:21 PM
Nadal wasn't injured.

Madrid is a mandatory tournament.

[/thread]

TennisOnWood
05-20-2010, 09:26 PM
He is just jealous with Rafa catch his 28 clay court titles in Madrid :p

Seriously,I think this was very important tournament for Rafa cause he finally collected all 3 clay court Masters 1000 titles in one season (last 5 years with two titles) and don't think it will be problem for him to adapt conditions in Paris

And for the record.. he didn't skip any Masters 1000 event in 2007,2008,2009 and this year

After just 15 matches on clay and rest after every tournament he is strong favorite to regain his French Open crown

ImmzB
05-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Not really, he didn't play Barcelona.

If he had played Barcelona and Madrid, that could of been a problem.

He was playing a Tournament and then taking a Week's break.

DrJules
05-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Nadal - correct to play as a week between each tournament and will win FO.

marcRD
05-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Ofcourse it was a bad idea when you think that the only thing that can make Nadal fall in RG is overscheduling and not beeing 100%. If he increased the chanse of losing in RG from 10% to 20% it was a huge mistake to play in Madrid, he should really put the priorities right and that should be to increase his legend by winning grand slams.

Matt01
05-20-2010, 10:55 PM
Do you think Nadal made a mistake by "sweeping" all clay masters and overextended himself? Did Federer really gain more from the loss than Nadal from his win? Does the fact that Nadal's level seemed to drop as he progressed through the tournament will carry on to RG? Is there a "ball basher" who can capitalize on this?

No, no, no and no.

thrust
05-20-2010, 11:24 PM
lendl is absolutely right here on the technical side of things, but he isn't the most patriotic man. He wouldn't understand that Nadal was playing for his nation more for than the points. Typical Lendl, right on the logic but off on the emotions.

Rather unfair to Lendl. He grew up in a then Communist country he could not love. He loved the US, but as a player, was not accepted as a true American by many ignorant tennis fans. Lendl is a very patriotic American citizen. Rafa has proven his love and loyalty to Spain, however, it was not necessary to prove his patriotism by playing Madird injured last year. Assuming, he has no injuries this year, playing Madrid was probably a good thing. Skipping Barcelona was a very wise decision! I do expect him to win the FO this year. I certainly hope so!

laurie-1
05-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I agree whole heartidly with Lendl that Madrid is a badly timned event.

Just shows again that the ATP & WTA are a joke for sanctioning this totally uneccessary event in the first place.

coonster14
05-21-2010, 01:42 AM
not a mistake at all. rafa did not play barcelona this year, had he played there this year, then i would say he has overplayed.

but he only played the 3 masters series (MC, Rome, Madrid), and had a week off in between each of those tournaments, so rafa should be fine for French Open. he learned something from last year...

Clay Death
05-21-2010, 01:49 AM
not a mistake at all. rafa did not play barcelona this year, had he played there this year, then i would say he has overplayed.

but he only played the 3 masters series (MC, Rome, Madrid), and had a week off in between each of those tournaments, so rafa should be fine for French Open. he learned something from last year...

affirmative. it all worked out for the best. everyone was dispatched with relative ease this time around at all 3 masters series events.

loss of 2 sets is nothing.

KaiserT
05-21-2010, 01:56 AM
Nadal was relatively poor in Madrid, it's confirmed to me that he's still vulnerable.

Gulbis could have beat him in Rome, Ferrer should have taken a set off him also, Almagro went a set and bps up against him, he played pretty poorly against Fed but got it done in 2........... being ultra critical but even his Monte Carlo thrashing of Verdasco wasn't that awesome, average Nadal performance but Verdasco was diabolical.

A Gulbis/Soderling type on a golden day can trouble Rafa, and beat him if they hold themselves together mentally.

andy neyer
05-21-2010, 02:24 AM
A mistake my neyer. He won Madrid, broke the record of Masters and he's feeling well prepared for RG.

What more could he ask?

I'm tired of all this talk about Nadal knees and stuff. He's alright and he's won it all that matters on clay thus far.

andy neyer
05-21-2010, 02:27 AM
Nadal was relatively poor in Madrid, it's confirmed to me that he's still vulnerable.

Relatively poor because the conditions in Madrid don't suit his game very much but consider he was still good enough to win it and beat the second best clay courter of this era in the final.

He'll play better in RG and naturally he'll win RG. If he can beat Feddie at Madrid, I have no doubt he'll beat him in RG too, if they happen to meet.

gulzhan
05-21-2010, 02:36 AM
Rather unfair to Lendl. He grew up in a then Communist country he could not love. He loved the US, but as a player, was not accepted as a true American by many ignorant tennis fans. Lendl is a very patriotic American citizen.

You love your country not because of but in spite of. Lendl was always too focused on money. Maybe that's what's called to love the US though :rolleyes:

NADALbULLS
05-21-2010, 04:56 AM
Nadal playing less impressively at Madrid isn't connected with form, its just that he never plays well at Madrid. The fact Nadal has only won Madrid twice says it all. One might even say the Madrid surface favors Federer more than it favors Nadal. Surely the journalist understands this, yet maybe he doesn't know. But I agree that winning Madrid does nothing for Roland Garros, but its easy to see why Nadal played it, so he could pass Agassi's masters record and for being the 1st player to win 3 straight masters. He didn't wear himself out at the other 2 masters events so it was okay to play Madrid.

mark73
05-21-2010, 05:23 AM

Too much american media, that can be dangerous. :retard:

The Magician
05-21-2010, 06:55 AM
If Nadal had lost at Madrid he would have been "injured" just like if he loses the FO he'll be "injured" and have made a mistake in scheduling. If he wins everything was correct and he's once again unbeatable while healthy.

Getting an unbiased view of Nadal's health and mindset is impossible because he lies to himself about his condition. It's become more and more difficult to justify being the underdog in every tournament he plays, so his "injury" has become more of a crutch.

The fact is we won't know if Lendl is right until after Nadal retires, because as of now Nadal has a vested interest in understating his injury when he's winning and overstating it when he loses.

FlameOn
05-21-2010, 07:29 AM
Absolutely no mistake. The stretch between Madrid and RG hopefully might be enough. ;) He's learned from that last year. He's really only played the three MS events.

Nando on the other hand: MC, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, Nice :cuckoo:

BlueSwan
05-21-2010, 07:30 AM
It was absolutely right for Nadal to play Madrid. He did not wear himself out. He became the first player to make a clean sweep of the clay TMS titles. He broke Agassi's TMS record. He gained 1000 ranking points which virtually guarantees him the #1 ranking after Wimbledon at the latest. He assured himself that he can beat everyone on clay, while still playing far from his best.

Barring injury or a ball basher playing the match of his life on an off day for Nadal, this RG title is in the bag.

Did Federer gain more in terms of confidence from Madrid than Nadal? Possibly, but it won't be enough. Federer is not beating Nadal at RG. Federer was a better player in 2005, 2006 and 2007 than he is today, while Nadal is certainly not worse today than he was back then. Also, had Nadal not played Madrid, Federer would probably have won it, giving Federer a healthy rankings lead and giving Federer more confidence than he has right now.

rafa_maniac
05-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Not a bad idea idea at all. Apart from being an important tournament in its own right with lots of points on offer and being manadatory, he got plenty of rest this year, has plenty of match wins and confidence under his belt and most importantly Madrid allowed him to finally get that win over a top 5 player which I think he sorely needed right before his best Slam. As for a drop in form, well you can't expect him to play at MC levels every week, he still straight setted nearly everyone, the courts were less Nadal-friendly and the competition was generally tougher. Remember in 08 he had a lot tougher time winning in Hamburg right before the French than he did in say MC or Barca, but he still came out and absolutely walloped the field in RG. Don't think Madrid was a bad idea at ALL.

NADALbULLS
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Federer would be devastated about this Madrid loss because the only positive in their head-to-head since 2007 was his win over Nadal in Madrid last year. He was able to say 'I won our last meeting' for a whole year. His fans talked up that 2009 Madrid meeting constantly whenever the rivalry was discussed. And nobody thinks Nadal plays his best tennis at Madrid, it has always been the most difficult clay event for him and he's only won it twice compared to winning other events 5 times. It would be a major stretch to say Federer got closer to Nadal by losing in straight sets (with a very shakey tie-break meltdown). Federer would have been better off losing that 3rd set to Ferrer and living off the confidence of being Roland Garros champion and having beaten Nadal in their last meeting in 2009.

@Sweet Cleopatra
05-21-2010, 11:28 AM
not a mistake.

Plus he beat Roger again, good for confidence.

federernadalfan
05-21-2010, 12:03 PM
It was absolutely right for Nadal to play Madrid. He did not wear himself out. He became the first player to make a clean sweep of the clay TMS titles. He broke Agassi's TMS record. He gained 1000 ranking points which virtually guarantees him the #1 ranking after Wimbledon at the latest. He assured himself that he can beat everyone on clay, while still playing far from his best.

Barring injury or a ball basher playing the match of his life on an off day for Nadal, this RG title is in the bag.

Did Federer gain more in terms of confidence from Madrid than Nadal? Possibly, but it won't be enough. Federer is not beating Nadal at RG. Federer was a better player in 2005, 2006 and 2007 than he is today, while Nadal is certainly not worse today than he was back then. Also, had Nadal not played Madrid, Federer would probably have won it, giving Federer a healthy rankings lead and giving Federer more confidence than he has right now.

he didn't gain 1000 points, i think he actually lost points because he skipped barcelona

BlueSwan
05-21-2010, 12:05 PM
he didn't gain 1000 points, i think he actually lost points because he skipped barcelona
He gained 1000 points compared to the alternate scenario where he skips Madrid.

mashamaniac
05-21-2010, 12:06 PM
I don't see why a legend like lendl should say these crappy words while everyone knows that rafa has had one of the best clay seasons ever with good resting time between each event!! at least one week between each tournament, which rafa couldn't have asked for better preparation.

By the way, rafa is playing injury-free at the moment, whereas he had his knee problems last year which prevented him from playing full time... that's really strange opinions from lendl.

A_Skywalker
05-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Federer played the same tournament. So what, for Nadal the surface is different but for Federer no?
This article is not good.

marcRD
05-21-2010, 12:16 PM
I dont get it really, everyone here agrees that Nadal was right to play Madrid but even so we all know how Nadal's knees have constantly been a problem this year and last year because of overscheduling. It is like everything looks good so far and then all suddenly in semifinals in RG something might really go wrong and then all of you will be complaining about how bad his schedule is. Ofcourse he is sill the favorite in RG but his schedule take too much of a risk. You all keep repeating that because he didnt play Barcelona he should be a allright, but Nadal isnt getting any younger and playing 3 tournaments before RG this year might not be the same as playing 3 weeks 2006, maybe it is the same as playing 4 weeks last year with all the problems he got in his bag this year. Since Indian Wells this year he only had a maximum of 1 week rest between tournaments, take a look:

5 matches Indian Wells
1 week rest
5 matches Miami (knee problems at the end of the tournament)
1 week rest
5 matches Monte carlo
1 week rest
5 matches Rome
1 week rest
5 matches Madrid
1 week rest

Now this is how the schedule looks from now on:

7 best of 5 matches
Queens
1 week rest
7 best of 5 matches

Do you really think Nadal's schedule looks that smart, ofcourse some of you might say it looks better than previous years but fact remains that Nadal does not have the same young body he had 2-3 years ago but he obviously got problems and his priorities should be not getting injured again in big tournaments, Madrid did nothing for him to prepare to play RG but they might have caused problems for his knees.

Matt01
05-21-2010, 12:25 PM
Do you really think Nadal's schedule looks that smart, ofcourse some of you might say it looks better than previous years but fact remains that Nadal does not have the same young body he had 2-3 years ago but he obviously got problems and his priorities should be not getting injured again in big tournaments, Madrid did nothing for him to prepare to play RG but they might have caused problems for his knees.

Not playing Madrid would not have done anything to help him for RG, either. 3 weeks of rest directly before a Slam ist just stupid.
According to some people the best for him would be to stop playing ATP tournaments altogether so to that his knees have enough rest :o

marcRD
05-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Not playing Madrid would not have done anything to help him for RG, either. 3 weeks of rest directly before a Slam ist just stupid.
According to some people the best for him would be to stop playing ATP tournaments altogether so to that his knees have enough rest :o

Why is it stupid? You think Nadal would lose with problems of rythm or something? He comes out destroying opposition in Monte Carlo everytime, the first clay tournament in almost a year for him. Nadal really doesnt need to play 3-4 tournaments to find a good rythm, in 2005-2006 Nadal didnt play for 3 weeks and then we all know what happened.

Look at Australia, you think it was smart of him to play Doha and that exhibition tournament? Nadal seems to have problems to get in his head that his body is not young anymore, he is stubborn and want to win everything. When he wins all fans seem to be happy with his schedule, then when he loses they start whining about his schedule and his injuries.

Matt01
05-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Nadal's head is as young as his body...still young.
And I don't disagree that his schedule was often stupid, e.g. he should not have played an exhibition and Doha before AO. But at this clay season, his schedule was fine.

ETA: And you simply cannot risk to play your favorite Slam without having played a single match in the 3 weeks before!

Filo V.
05-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Nadal will be fine. Lets get real, who is actually going to beat him? Almagro/Nando can trouble him. Bellucci could trouble him. Nole may not even make it to the semis. Can a player be consistent enough through 5 sets while playing above their levels? Don't see anyone who can or will.

Topspin Forehand
05-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Nadal needs to keep playing to keep his confidence high and not let nerves take over. His toughest RG other than 2009 was when he took 2 weeks off in 2006 before RG. It would be even worse with 3 weeks off.

marcRD
05-21-2010, 03:38 PM
While Nadal plays good all problems are forgotten, then suddenly if he gets injured all will be mad about the scheduling. Nadal has chronic problems with his knees he cant play for months with only 1 week to rest between tournaments. Right now he is at risk of overworking his body, it is possible he will be fine for the whole RG tournament but why take the risk?

Fed Fan
05-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Whether Nadal playing the three clay Masters Series was a mistake or not, I'm not certain. However, Nadal didn't really need to play three clay events, so exposed his knees to an unnecessary risk. If Nadal's knees do play up at Roland Garros which results in him not winning the tournament, he can only blame himself and it should not detract from the success of whoever does go on to win the tournament; managing your playing schedule is part of being a professional sportsperson.

rafa_maniac
05-21-2010, 03:49 PM
While Nadal plays good all problems are forgotten, then suddenly if he gets injured all will be mad about the scheduling. Nadal has chronic problems with his knees he cant play for months with only 1 week to rest between tournaments. Right now he is at risk of overworking his body, it is possible he will be fine for the whole RG tournament but why take the risk?

You can't schedule your entire career around the POSSIBILITTY of injuries. If that were the case, he'd be better off just turning up 4 times a year for the Slams and resting the rest of the time, no? Madrid, like any Masters, is an important -mandatory- tournament in its own right. He has become smarter this year in terms of scheduling already (no Rotterdam, Barcelona, less doubles...) but he still needs plenty of match practice, especially going into a Slam, and especially being a player who feeds off momentum and confidence. At the moment he swears he's physically fine, it would have made NO sense therefore to sit around for 3 weeks before the French doing nothing. The best way to make yourself match fit... can be to play matches.

Silvester
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
I think he'll be fine, but only time will tell. He had relativly short matches in all of those Masters tourneys so it'll be interesting to see how he holds up if the matches get a bit longer at RG, min 3 sets, maybe a 4 or 5 setter near the end.

Priam
05-21-2010, 04:08 PM
If he really wants to avoid long matches at RG, he should aim to dish out at least 2 breadsticks every match.

andy neyer
05-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Why is it stupid? You think Nadal would lose with problems of rythm or something? He comes out destroying opposition in Monte Carlo everytime, the first clay tournament in almost a year for him. Nadal really doesnt need to play 3-4 tournaments to find a good rythm, in 2005-2006 Nadal didnt play for 3 weeks and then we all know what happened.

Look at Australia, you think it was smart of him to play Doha and that exhibition tournament? Nadal seems to have problems to get in his head that his body is not young anymore, he is stubborn and want to win everything. When he wins all fans seem to be happy with his schedule, then when he loses they start whining about his schedule and his injuries.

You worry far too much. The injury he got in Oz wasn't related to his tendinitis. It was just an unlucky temporary injury that could have happened to any player.

That said, Nadal and his team know what they're doing. Uncle Toni himself -the man who's constatly worried- said a few days ago that -unlike last year- Nadal's knees were in perfect shape.

Guy Haines
05-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Lendl is one of the few players from the past whose opinion I'd value, because of his great accomplishments and because he owes nothing to anyone (not a media-friendly person or one with close ties).

I agree with him that Madrid does not help Nadal.

Tiriac is a Mephistopheles and/or Machiavelli character if viewed through a Nadal lens. Neither playing nor skipping Madrid is necessarily good for Nadal.

That said, we'll see. Roland Garros played quite differently last year. The early rounds will reveal how it is playing.

HKz
05-21-2010, 11:25 PM
I mean by the looks of it, Nadal did seem to progressively play worse from Monte Carlo to Madrid, however it was only slight, and the field was probably a bit tougher as he went through the weeks. He has quite a bit of rest between Madrid and Roland Garros so he shouldn't be fatigued.. But in terms of peaking his tennis skills in time for the French Open, I mean he could have possibly peaked a bit too early. However it is impossible to say right now. I'm pretty sure he will win it, but it won't surprise me if he didn't.

The one aspect Nadal certainly has not matured or improved over the years, is being able to pace yourself and peak at the right time. He plays much too hard every match in my opinion, but then again he can't help it since it is the type of tennis he plays. I know, it has been said a trillion times, but even if he blows the player off the court 6-0, 6-1, it does seem like he expends quite a lot of energy. Running for shots when he is down love-40 on his opponent's serve, and situations like that.

Federer has certainly been raising his game every match, and we all know he knows how to peak in advance of Grand Slams. Regardless, it will certainly be interesting.

Topspin Forehand
05-22-2010, 12:09 AM
I mean by the looks of it, Nadal did seem to progressively play worse from Monte Carlo to Madrid, however it was only slight, and the field was probably a bit tougher as he went through the weeks. He has quite a bit of rest between Madrid and Roland Garros so he shouldn't be fatigued.. But in terms of peaking his tennis skills in time for the French Open, I mean he could have possibly peaked a bit too early. However it is impossible to say right now. I'm pretty sure he will win it, but it won't surprise me if he didn't.

The one aspect Nadal certainly has not matured or improved over the years, is being able to pace yourself and peak at the right time. He plays much too hard every match in my opinion, but then again he can't help it since it is the type of tennis he plays. I know, it has been said a trillion times, but even if he blows the player off the court 6-0, 6-1, it does seem like he expends quite a lot of energy. Running for shots when he is down love-40 on his opponent's serve, and situations like that.

Federer has certainly been raising his game every match, and we all know he knows how to peak in advance of Grand Slams. Regardless, it will certainly be interesting.

Federer has no chance against Nadal in the final if they meet. Nadal has 4 RG's and beat Fed every time they played there. Wimbledon will be interesting though competively as I think Nadal could pull another 5 set epic match against Federer.

HKz
05-22-2010, 12:42 AM
Federer has no chance against Nadal in the final if they meet. Nadal has 4 RG's and beat Fed every time they played there. Wimbledon will be interesting though competively as I think Nadal could pull another 5 set epic match against Federer.

What did anything I say have anything to do with if Federer and Nadal meet? You're always a fail.

Topspin Forehand
05-22-2010, 04:12 AM
What did anything I say have anything to do with if Federer and Nadal meet? You're always a fail.

I was reading into where you were going with your comments. Nadal not in best form and Federer is better in the slams. I think this season reminds me most of 2008 as Nadal won in tough battles on his least favorite Clay in Hamburg and did it again this year on his new least favorite clay. Anyways, I don't think this French Open will have that much drama for Nadal.

jenanun
05-22-2010, 07:17 AM
no.. MC is just a practice for him, so in fact he only played 2 tournaments - ideal for RG preparation.

although the condition in madrid is very different from RG, a guy who won there 4 times - knows how to play there.....

-Valhalla-
05-22-2010, 07:27 AM

Totally agree.

Although in the scheme of things, one tournament won't make a big difference. The clock has already been ticking on his career and knees.

gusavo
05-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Ofcourse it was a bad idea when you think that the only thing that can make Nadal fall in RG is overscheduling and not beeing 100%. If he increased the chanse of losing in RG from 10% to 20% it was a huge mistake to play in Madrid, he should really put the priorities right and that should be to increase his legend by winning grand slams.
nice percentages...

You love your country not because of but in spite of.
why should he automatically love something bad, wheres the point. its a joke, theres no logic.

Maybe that's what's called to love the US though :rolleyes:
lol, how typical

Federer has no chance against Nadal in the final if they meet.
lol, so youll be betting your house on this lock then I assume?

Start da Game
05-22-2010, 03:40 PM
irrespective of what happens in french open and wimbledon, playing madrid was always going to be a mistake.......he should have been happy with montecarlo and rome......i am just glad for now that he somehow made his mind not to run after barcelona this year.......

marcRD
05-22-2010, 07:26 PM
nice percentages...

why should he automatically love something bad, wheres the point. its a joke, theres no logic.

lol, how typical

lol, so youll be betting your house on this lock then I assume?

How is your boy Murray doing, Gustavo?

Skyward
05-22-2010, 07:29 PM
No worries. With this draw, he will be well rested in the finals.

NADALbULLS
05-23-2010, 05:21 AM
Nadal can only get injured on hardcourt. Thats how it happened last year, and then of course continuing to play (even on clay) makes it worse. Since he wasn't injured in the hardcourt events this year (not counting that Aust Open problem, it was mutually exclusive and fully recovered) then playing the 3 masters events was not a risk.

HarryMan
05-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Lendl is a knowledgeable person but surely even he will agree Soderling played unbelieveable tennis, continously painting the lines consistently (with a big serve I might add), retrieving almost everything Nadal got back into play, for about four hours last year.

I can see players serving well against Nadal, someone else retreiving well against Nadal, and someone painting the lines against Nadal. But to do all these within the same match for four hours consistently is almost an impossible task for anyone (even for Soderling).

In addition to this, when we consider the fact that Nadal is feeling a lot better this year compared to how he felt last year at RG, the winner is never in doubt.

gusavo
05-23-2010, 12:32 PM
How is your boy Murray doing, Gustavo?
admit defeat without trying? thats rare for this place.
unfortunately its also the smart option
strange comment though. has no relevance on the strength of my arguments on this place, I wonder what else you would be trying to attack. hes doing very well

marcRD
05-23-2010, 01:22 PM
hes doing very well

Whatever turns you on man. :D