Have You Ever Rooted Against Your Favourite Player? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Have You Ever Rooted Against Your Favourite Player?

Certinfy
05-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Have you?

I have once which was actually at Wimbledon last year where I supported Bogdanovic when he played Berdych as he really needed the win. :o

ad-out
05-19-2010, 07:38 PM
Well I supported Marat against Ernie last year in LA.. Does it count when they are both your favs? Impossible situation really. :shrug:

Silawen
05-19-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes, but that was quite a while ago. I don't remember when exactly it was, but David Ferrer had been complaining about feeling tired and achy, so I was actively supporting his opponent for once so he could go 'home' and rest. :p Not that he ever really does, active as he is.

Johnny Groove
05-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Only when two of my faves are playing against each other.

Norrage
05-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Ivanisevic vs Rafter Wimby 2001
My 2 alltime favorite players against each other, Rafter being the slight favorite...but Goran really, really, really had to win that one!!

navy75
05-19-2010, 08:05 PM
I root against Robert Dee every time, as nothing would hurt his fame and publicity more than a signature win ;)

l_mac
05-19-2010, 08:19 PM
Never.

Billups85
05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
No.

Aenea
05-19-2010, 08:24 PM
Yes, last year during Madrid SF at one point I wished Rafa just let it go.
If this could be count as rooting against my fav.

vn01
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM
No

Viky-cro
05-19-2010, 08:50 PM
yes, but only if both guys were my favourites, and if that it was Davis Cup match. :)

Garson007
05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I supported Anderson (for being a countryman) against Djokovic in that one match they played against each other.

tennishero
05-19-2010, 09:02 PM
if you rooted against your favourite player, surely the other player would be your favourite. :confused:

Garson007
05-19-2010, 09:26 PM
if you rooted against your favourite player, surely the other player would be your favourite. :confused:
Not true. Look at my reply above yours. :3

Nathaliia
05-19-2010, 09:28 PM
If I have a bet against him.

Aenea
05-19-2010, 09:35 PM

:lol:

the true gambler speaking

tennishero
05-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Not true. Look at my reply above yours. :3

then anderson would be ur favourite for that match ;)

Mjau!
05-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Maybe if Radek played Söderling

Garson007
05-19-2010, 10:00 PM
then anderson would be ur favourite for that match ;)
But he's far from my favourite player, which is what the thread is about. :p

Geo
05-19-2010, 10:03 PM
only if both guys are in my list of favorite players :shrug:

would i cheer against one of my favorites for a player i didn't like or didn't care about? heck no :lol:

Ibracadabra
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM

never lay your favourite :P

Clydey
05-19-2010, 10:20 PM
I'm too busy figuratively fellating Andy Murray to ever root against him.

Matt_2745
05-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Sometimes my head says that it would be better for Rafa to lose, but ultimately when it really comes down to it and a match is going close, my heart always comes through and I want him to win again.

RafaTheBest
05-19-2010, 10:50 PM
No, but had Nadal played Blake for the gold medal in 08, I would have felt VERY dirty rooting against an American in the Olympics, but I'd have still probably rooted for Nadal.

MIMIC
05-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Never.

andylovesaustin
05-19-2010, 11:36 PM
I never rooted against Guga--even when he played Pete, Andre, or Andy Roddick. I rarely rooted against Andre unless he were playing Guga. I always picked Andre over Pete. So my loyalty would be Guga.....................then Andre, Andy Roddick, and then Pete! :lol: Before Guga, I'd usually support Andre.. or I didn't really have a favorite.

So I've rooted against Andy Roddick, obviously, but not so much now! Currently, there have been some tournaments I just quit watching him because he behaved like such an ass. I can't say I rooted "against" him, but I quit "supporting" him.

n8
05-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes. Carlos Moya is my very favourite player, but when he played Nadal in the Roland Garros quarter-finals in 2007, I was going for Rafa because I knew Rafa was probably the only one left capable of beating Federer.

emotion
05-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I rooted for Rusty in Gonzalez def Hewitt epic at last year's AO

ChinoRios4Ever
05-20-2010, 12:21 AM
Gonzo vs Massú is really difficult to follow to me.

Cyrus_Paice
05-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Despite being a Nadal fan I rooted for Federer during the second half of the FO08 final because he seemed so helpless. After the trophy presentation of the AO09 I felt so sorry for Federer that I hoped he would win RG, not knowing that the king of tennis would injure himself, miss Wimbledon as the defending champion and lose his Number One ranking. Despite Federer's RG win being a very emotional and special moment for me at the time I will always regret having rooted for him given the circumstances. In the 13 months leading up to it Nadal won 13 tournaments, with 15000 points and by far the most points on each surface. He is by far the best player in the world and should never lose his position, even when he doesn't play for 2 months. Disgusting that the Number One position has lost it's meaning for a year because Nadal was gone during the most important two months and players like Haas and Roddick choked against Federer in the biggest events. I guess had Nadal been injured in any other two months Federer would have never become Number One again. :rolleyes:

Bazooka
05-20-2010, 12:32 AM
I am a Nadal fan, but in Miami semis I was really happy when Roddick came back, how he really beat Rafa which was superior to him, and how he fought when it looked like he had no chances. Would have been happy with either of them winning, really.

Sunset of Age
05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
A clear and resounding NO!
Unless the situations where I hoped for the opponent of one of my favs, who appeared to be in pain in that particular occasion, would finish off the job quickly, *count* as 'rooting against your favourite'.
I personally don't think it does.

coonster14
05-20-2010, 12:52 AM
this was last year's madrid SF between nole and rafa. i felt that if that match went on too long, then rafa was seriously going to be effed up for the final between whoever won between roger and delpo.

i actually just wanted nole to FINALLY get that 1ST win over rafa on clay, seeing nole so shattered after that loss just made me feel really bad for him.

since rafa lost the 1st set, i was hoping that nole would just win the 2nd set, get to the final and play roger or delpo, that way, rafa could get a bit of extra rest and not eff himself up for the french open.

and we all know what happened after that epic SF match...

DJ Soup
05-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Federer vs Del Potro Roland Garros 09

W!MBLEDON
05-20-2010, 01:14 AM
no

i believe in sticking with your favourite no matter what, not jumping ship :lol:

Sunset of Age
05-20-2010, 01:17 AM
no

i believe in sticking with your favourite no matter what, not jumping ship :lol:

Even if you witness your fav in pain, struggling on, while obviously not being able to play on properly anymore? :unsure:

~*BGT*~
05-20-2010, 01:26 AM
I did once and felt horrible. :sad: I have a hierarchy when it comes to my faves. #1 fave is Roddick. He's at the top. And then the second tier includes Gasquet, Nadal and Korolev. I pull for them above all others, and then everyone else. Well, Gasdick had a match in Brisbane this year and I've been looking forward to a Gasdick match for a long time. :inlove: I pulled for Gasquet there and afterwards I felt so bad, so guilty. I was such a bad fan. I've never pulled against Andy and won't ever do it again. :sobbing:

Ibracadabra
05-20-2010, 01:29 AM
Despite being a Nadal fan I rooted for Federer during the second half of the FO08 final because he seemed so helpless. After the trophy presentation of the AO09 I felt so sorry for Federer that I hoped he would win RG, not knowing that the king of tennis would injure himself, miss Wimbledon as the defending champion and lose his Number One ranking. Despite Federer's RG win being a very emotional and special moment for me at the time I will always regret having rooted for him given the circumstances. In the 13 months leading up to it Nadal won 13 tournaments, with 15000 points and by far the most points on each surface. He is by far the best player in the world and should never lose his position, even when he doesn't play for 2 months. Disgusting that the Number One position has lost it's meaning for a year because Nadal was gone during the most important two months and players like Haas and Roddick choked against Federer in the biggest events. I guess had Nadal been injured in any other two months Federer would have never become Number One again. :rolleyes:

too bitter for my taste

http://styletips101.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/lemon.jpeg

emotion
05-20-2010, 01:31 AM

Nadal is 1-12 vs the top 8 in the past year. Not a very deserving position to be in imo.:rolleyes:

gulzhan
05-20-2010, 01:33 AM
I always struggled in Gasquet vs Safin matches. When Safin just came back and played DC match in France, I cheered against Richard so bad :o and felt very guilty after he lost this 5 setter.

Then in Lyon I cheered against Marat :lol: Didn't feel bad though because that was 1st round match, Safin was OK to lose and I came all the way long to watch Gasquet playing and was very happy when he ended up with the title.

out_here_grindin
05-20-2010, 01:35 AM
My favorites are always too bust battling for valuable points for me to have leeway to root against them.

Cyrus_Paice
05-20-2010, 02:01 AM
too bitter for my taste

Do you think memorizing the word "bitter" is a big achievement?

its.like.that
05-20-2010, 02:51 AM
off topic anyone?

Snoo Foo
05-20-2010, 04:26 AM
if i need his opponent for tt

Audacity
05-20-2010, 06:16 AM
Never.

rafa_maniac
05-20-2010, 06:23 AM
Yes and no. Back in 04/05 I rooted against Nadal when he played Hewitt in the Oz Open, but back then Hewitt was my favourite player and I was only vaguely aware of Nadal. Since he's been my favourite... no, though as another poster said, there have been times when my head has told me a loss is preferable (usually after a beatdown :o)

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-20-2010, 07:26 AM
the only time i have ever rooted against my favourite player was this years aus-open final. murray was so close for winning one for scotland...so close...so close. normally i can't stand muzza, but i feel for him now that he's shit

never ever rooted against james blake!!!

iriraz
05-20-2010, 09:21 AM
I rooted for Del Potro to beat Federer in 3 sets so that Murray can watch the weekend on TV at the Tennis Masters Cup last year.That was priceless how it all went down.

-Valhalla-
05-20-2010, 09:58 AM

Lol, this. I rarely wager on sports anymore, but yes, if there's $$$ involved I have no problem rooting against my favorites :lol:

Sophocles
05-20-2010, 10:59 AM
I never bet against Fed (though I don't always bet on him either), so I don't have that reason, but the one time I shouldn't have minded if he'd lost was last year's Wimbledon final. I thought Roddick deserved it and it would have been as cathartic for him as R.G. had been for Fed.

Jimnik
05-20-2010, 11:06 AM
This.

Depends how big the bet is. I often jinx bet against my favs.

coonster14
05-20-2010, 12:45 PM
I rooted for Del Potro to beat Federer in 3 sets so that Murray can watch the weekend on TV at the Tennis Masters Cup last year.That was priceless how it all went down.

:haha:, i still can not believe it was only 1 game that decided murray not reaching the SF stage as well.

Everko
05-20-2010, 01:12 PM
It's always tough for me when Nadal faces Djokovic. I have to decide who needs the win more.

bokehlicious
05-20-2010, 02:01 PM
No, loyalty at its best :rocker2: :D

Corey Feldman
05-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Henman over Federer in 2001 Wimbledon, at that time Henman was my fave

and Fed/Murray matches have gave me a few troubes.

oranges
05-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Only in DC is that possible

Noleta
05-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Only when my favourites are playing eachother:shrug: