Jelena Jankovic and Andy Murray [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Jelena Jankovic and Andy Murray

laurie-1
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
I know, it seems strange to mention a female player and a male player in the same thread. Especially after that silly thread about why do you hate the WTA, which was moved quite rightly to the Off Topic section. But what do you think of this?

Jelena Jankovic got to world number 1 in 2008 then slid down the rankings in 2009. She’s come back to form this year winning Indian Wells and getting to the final of the Foro Italico. I wrote an article about her on Bleacher Report last month: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370615-jelena-jankovic-ready-to-win-a-grand-slam-title.

Jelena is known for these strengths:

Speed around the court, tactical awareness, a good transition game and a good counterpuncher; not to mention good natural Tennis skills. Her weaknesses are:

Weak 2nd serve, temperament when things don’t go her way, weight of shot.

What’s impressed me this year has been Jelena’s willingness to try something new to try and win that elusive Slam title. She’s hired Chip Brooks from the Bollietieri Academy. And during Indian Wells and since, we have seen a player with a different attitude than before. Jelena is really going after the return of serve, looking to hit winners off the return and from the baseline much more. Her serve has more pace and her 2nd serve is much bigger than it was last year and she’s playing more aggressive than I’ve seen her play – mixing risk and reward with her instinct of caution. The result is a player that should give herself more opportunities to win big tournaments in future. She’s recognised what needs improving in her game and she’s decided to do it.

Now, if Jelena Jankovic can do it, will Andy Murray at some point be prepared to say, I need to improve aspects of my game and my mentality if I want to win a Grand Slam tournament? Murray basically has exactly the same strengths and weaknesses Jankovic has in co-relation to the tour they are on. And Jelena has decided not to hide behind the statement of – I got to number 1 in the world before with this game so I don’t have to improve anything, just work hard.

What do you think?

out_here_grindin
05-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Well Jankovic hasn't won a slam yet. Murray has done all those things as well, talking big about winning a slam but not achieving it. I still think Murray has a good shot at winning a slam, it's not like he is all lost.

gorgo1986
05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I know, it seems strange to mention a female player and a male player in the same thread. Especially after that silly thread about why do you hate the WTA, which was moved quite rightly to the Off Topic section. But what do you think of this?

Jelena Jankovic got to world number 1 in 2008 then slid down the rankings in 2009. She’s come back to form this year winning Indian Wells and getting to the final of the Foro Italico. I wrote an article about her on Bleacher Report last month: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/370615-jelena-jankovic-ready-to-win-a-grand-slam-title.

Jelena is known for these strengths:

Speed around the court, tactical awareness, a good transition game and a good counterpuncher; not to mention good natural Tennis skills. Her weaknesses are:

Weak 2nd serve, temperament when things don’t go her way, weight of shot.

What’s impressed me this year has been Jelena’s willingness to try something new to try and win that elusive Slam title. She’s hired Chip Brooks from the Bollietieri Academy. And during Indian Wells and since, we have seen a player with a different attitude than before. Jelena is really going after the return of serve, looking to hit winners off the return and from the baseline much more. Her serve has more pace and her 2nd serve is much bigger than it was last year and she’s playing more aggressive than I’ve seen her play – mixing risk and reward with her instinct of caution. The result is a player that should give herself more opportunities to win big tournaments in future. She’s recognised what needs improving in her game and she’s decided to do it.

Now, if Jelena Jankovic can do it, will Andy Murray at some point be prepared to say, I need to improve aspects of my game and my mentality if I want to win a Grand Slam tournament? Murray basically has exactly the same strengths and weaknesses Jankovic has in co-relation to the tour they are on. And Jelena has decided not to hide behind the statement of – I got to number 1 in the world before with this game so I don’t have to improve anything, just work hard.

What do you think?

When Jankovic became number one the WTA was shit, in dire straits. Unless Federer, Del Potro, Nadal and Djokovic retire its gonna be pretty hard for Murray to do it without having to improve. If he wants to be number one he definitely will have to improve aspects of his game.

gorgo1986
05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
and mentally I do not see Murray there, his state after the Australian Open loss has been beyond bad. Mentally he is very much fragile.

Start da Game
05-13-2010, 02:51 PM
you don't deserve to win anything big if you are frightened of big stages or the opponents.......if that trend is to continue, it actually shows that there's not much difference between you and the clowns........

i am afraid to say murray might be past his best days now.......

Kolya
05-13-2010, 02:55 PM
Don't compare the WTA and ATP :lol:

Iceman778
05-13-2010, 03:00 PM
yes thier is no comparison in between them

Har-Tru
05-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Murray is prettier.

Action Jackson
05-13-2010, 03:06 PM
Murray plays on the real tour, therefore no comparisons can be made.

gorgo1986
05-13-2010, 03:07 PM
Murray is prettier.

Facewise they are both a bit unfortunate looking.:o

Vida
05-13-2010, 03:11 PM
jankovic is coming back big time. and its not like suddenly WTA got stronger and more competitive since 060708. murray, Im not so sure.

but anyway good comparison between the two.

The Nothing [†]
05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
It is a similar situation indeed, but Jankovic it's making more of a comeback these days than what Murray's been making

ryan23
05-13-2010, 03:19 PM
I dont think you caan compare a wta player to an atp player- womens tennis players are so up n down, one week to the next can be a compeltly different result, Ivanovic,Jankovic,Wozniacki,Azarenka,Rdwanska are all capable of beating anyone but at the same time losing to anyone, mens tennis is more powerfull so you can judge it better, Jankovic will win titles in the future but will also crash out in the 1st/2nd round of events

Murray for me will always be close but not close enough in the majors

Start da Game
05-13-2010, 03:22 PM

but if we take into consideration that jankovic is a woman and women's physical abilities are more limited then men's, it's impossible to make a valid comparison between the two tours.......the women are doing the best they can........it's actually the men that are lying handicapped being unable to execute surface specific tennis, and instead relying on their clay court prowess(out-grinding) everywhere.......

i personally dislike the women's tour now actually, but i am not too impressed with the men's tour especially in the last one year or so.......the level has dropped down considerably.......

once again it has come down to nadal to breathe some life into men's tennis and fill the void caused due to the absence of up and coming del potro, helpless djokovic and inefficient murray.......

Vida
05-13-2010, 03:32 PM
I dont think you caan compare a wta player to an atp player- womens tennis players are so up n down, one week to the next can be a compeltly different result, Ivanovic,Jankovic,Wozniacki,Azarenka,Rdwanska are all capable of beating anyone but at the same time losing to anyone, mens tennis is more powerfull so you can judge it better, Jankovic will win titles in the future but will also crash out in the 1st/2nd round of events

Murray for me will always be close but not close enough in the majors

it evens out in the end. you have dominating players on both tours, and those who have talent and game but suck brain-wise.

the graduate
05-13-2010, 03:38 PM
the only comparison is that Murray is better looking than that horse face called Jankovic.She will never win a slam this year because she is evil,she will try to emulate the Williams but will never achieve that fit.She spent her energy beating them and at the end lost in the final.
Murray is prettier than Jankovic and more accomplished
WTF is Jankovic in the men s forum is this a trick from the locker room.

Iván
05-13-2010, 03:46 PM
jankovic has no slam finals to her name

murray has

Everko
05-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Jankvic will crash and burn in the FO 4th round again despite her "improvements"

rocketassist
05-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Andy's brother will definitely say Jelena is the better looking.

laurie-1
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM

murray has

Jelena played in the 2008 US Open final like Andy did. She lost the final to Serena Williams in two close sets

Lurking
05-13-2010, 04:07 PM
Selected H2H from Jankovic :

Henin 10-0 Jankovic
Clijsters 6-1 Jankovic
Sharapova 5-1 Jankovic
Ivanovic 6-3 Jankovic

She's changing her game style because it fundamentally wasn't good enough against top level opposition.

Murray's problem is with the peak form of one of the best players of all time, his game style's more than good enough to cope with everyone else in the world unlike Jankovic.

Matt01
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM

murray has

Wrong.

Jankovic can call herself a Wimbledon Champion. Murray can't :wavey:

Why don't you, as a Mod, don't close this thread before you can make some more chauvinistic comments? :p

zcess81
05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Selected H2H from Jankovic :

Henin 10-0 Jankovic
Clijsters 6-1 Jankovic
Sharapova 5-1 Jankovic
Ivanovic 6-3 Jankovic

She's changing her game style because it fundamentally wasn't good enough against top level opposition.

Murray's problem is with the peak form of one of the best players of all time, his game style's more than good enough to cope with everyone else in the world unlike Jankovic.

That is a complete BS. He lost to Fed in 2 slam finals...the rest of the time he was losing to the likes of Verdasco, Cilic, Gonzalez, Nadal etc etc. You make it sound that in every slam (since Murray was in top 10) Murray loses to Fed, which is not true. He hasn't played him that many times in slams you know.

Murray's REAL problem IS his style of play, which can win him Masters and other best of 3 tournaments, but in best of 5 format that pusher style just doesn't work. Even if Murray does win a slam one day with his pusher game, that will be it. There is NO WAY he'll be a multiple grand slam winner with his game.

Mats68
05-13-2010, 05:00 PM
What is baffling is that Murray is capable of a brilliantly attacking style of play as he displayed at the AO this year against Nadal. That was one of the best matches I have seen him play. Why does he not play like that all the time? There's something wrong with his mental side.
But the main problem is having Alex Corretja in your corner. How can Corretja convince Murray to play more aggressive and into the court instead of just running like a rabbit from side to side until the opponent misses? He can't, since he used to play like that himself. Fire Corretja!

Iván
05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
how could i forget that, sorry jj.

yes indeed she did make that final

r2473
05-13-2010, 05:20 PM
I have trouble telling the two apart myself.

doublebackhand
05-13-2010, 06:47 PM
What is baffling is that Murray is capable of a brilliantly attacking style of play as he displayed at the AO this year against Nadal. That was one of the best matches I have seen him play. Why does he not play like that all the time? There's something wrong with his mental side.
But the main problem is having Alex Corretja in your corner. How can Corretja convince Murray to play more aggressive and into the court instead of just running like a rabbit from side to side until the opponent misses? He can't, since he used to play like that himself. Fire Corretja!

becoz thats how he beat federer in 2008..those victories were deeply etched in his head. he didnt realize federer was going thru a rough patch in his career and not in his usual form. so when he played against him at AO he instinctive went back to the style he thought would be best to handle Fed. thats my take on it.

and btw, i dont think all that venom against JJ is justified. its really easy to hate someone for no good reason....just saying.

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-19-2010, 12:59 PM
if murray played jankovic, murray would win. quite handily i might add

.-Federers_Mate-.
05-19-2010, 01:00 PM
i dont know but i would say jankovic is more ferrer like.

she does not have the variety like muzza does