Federer or Agassi [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer or Agassi

Daniel
09-08-2004, 08:38 AM
Vamos Roger!!!!! get into the semis!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

SLICK
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Me thinks your celebrations are a little premature my friend. Agassi to win in 4 pulsating sets. ;)

RebelNYC
09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
I want Andre to win! This will be a great match!

Fumus
09-08-2004, 02:54 PM
If there is anyone in the world that can beat Federer, it's the AA when he's at his best. Andre in a close 5 sets.

WyveN
09-08-2004, 02:55 PM
If there is anyone in the world that can beat Federer, it's the AA when he's at his best. Andre in a close 5 sets.

Are Berdych and Hrbaty from another planet?

Fumus
09-08-2004, 02:57 PM
haha, that's pretty funny Wyven, maybe at should have put when Federer is playing near his best.(disclaimer: near his best is not Fedex mode, I don't think anyone can beat Roger in that mode except Roger)

WyveN
09-08-2004, 03:00 PM
:lol: fedex mode

Fumus
09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
haha, yea that's when he's just ridiculous and there's nothing you can do except try and somehow stick around and weather the storm somehow. Once you get him in his zone, he will Fedex anyone away.

I don't think he will be there tonight. He hasn't played and could be alittle unfocused, Andre has to hope for that and also play out of his 34yr old mind. All I was saying(in the first post) is Andre is probably one of the few players left that can go toe to toe with Fed. See IW match when Andre was two points away from a win over Fed.

Fergie
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Roger will win in 4 sets :yeah:

Hopp Rogi :hug:

MisterQ
09-08-2004, 03:14 PM
:lol: fedex mode

:lol:

I'm hoping to see some "Zen Master mode," lol. ;)

Fumus
09-08-2004, 03:17 PM
:lol:

I'm hoping to see some "Zen Master mode," lol. ;)

haha, I think if Andre wins he will say "It was a great match, I really swung out at the ball, and went for my shots and I would like to give a shoutout to MisterQ!!" :lol:

MisterQ
09-08-2004, 03:19 PM
:yeah: :cool: of course, he will say exactly that!

Fumus
09-08-2004, 03:23 PM
haha among other things!! MisterQ is an Andre fan and Andre is a MisterQ fan..haha...

MisterQ if Andre does win his confidence will be at an all time high, and I think everyone will shut-up about retirement! That will be awesome!!

Auscon
09-08-2004, 05:35 PM
In most instances theres really only 2 outcomes for anyone playing Roger

1. Roger defeats his opponent
2. Roger defeats himself

And thesedays he very seldomly does the second

Agassi will put up a great fight though....and I would prefer him to go through, but I just cant see it happening

budikovac
09-08-2004, 05:54 PM
In most instances theres really only 2 outcomes for anyone playing Roger

1. Roger defeats his opponent
2. Roger defeats himself
I totally agree...
Everybody knows that Roger is the most talented, the most complete, the best player there is so if he plays anywhere near he's best he is unstoppable! Even when he doesn't play so good he is capable of winning, like in the Wimbledon final against Roddick... :hatoff:
I never so anybody outplay Roger! :rocker:

but I can see only one guy beating him at this US-OPEN: Agassi!!! :worship:
Hewitt has just a small chance and Roddick has none... :shrug:

RogiFan88
09-08-2004, 06:41 PM
and what will AA say if he loses?

jtipson
09-08-2004, 06:47 PM
and what will AA say if he loses?

"Darren's all yours now" ;)

Mr. Man
09-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Go Roger!

Iheartandy&roger
09-09-2004, 01:01 AM
This match is going to rock no matter what the outcome!

Auscon
09-09-2004, 01:57 AM
Fark yeah!

Agassi wins the 2nd set 6-2!

SLICK
09-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Federer leads 6-3 2-6 7-5 deuce on Agassi serve first game 4th set. Rain delay. Live on Eurosport int. Sky Sports showing Henman vs Hrbarty

RoddickBabe10
09-09-2004, 03:06 AM
This match is just nail-biting. Omg, I'm happy it got raned out (for now) i just can't watch a match like this. Too intense for me, but hopefully the rain will go away soon and we'll all be watching The A-Train and FedEx! :woohoo: :banana: :bounce:

Anyways, Federer is definitely the best player out their right now but it's not for me to say that he's THE most complete, THE most perfect... and all that. He's the best right now, no doubt but again, he's not invincible and can be beaten on any given day and the same goes to any other player. That's just the way the game works. Period. I am a big fan of both Andre and Roger, so I will be cheering for both!!! :)

Billabong
09-09-2004, 03:12 AM
It's a very even match, and I had the feeling Andre would win the third set... but Federer was very patient, not going for too much, and it paid off! I hope this will go to a fifth set:)!

MisterQ
09-09-2004, 03:15 AM
It's a bit unfortunate that Andre lost that game at 5-5, because he was playing right with Roger throughout that set. Wow, some of the shotmaking in this match is insane!!! :worship: I hope it will go to 5 too! ;)

Billabong
09-09-2004, 03:18 AM
It's a bit unfortunate that Andre lost that game at 5-5, because he was playing right with Roger throughout that set. Wow, some of the shotmaking in this match is insane!!! :worship: I hope it will go to 5 too! ;)

I even had the feeling that Andre was playing better than Roger in the third set! Rogi had difficulties to attack, and today he looks absent at the net... Andre attacks a lot his backhand too!

Dirk
09-09-2004, 03:22 AM
Rogi is slowly but surely raising his game. Andre's defense is amazing tonight. He has been playing some of his best stuff but his 1st is suffering and I think Rogi will now pounce on it and finally be able to unleash his grandeur on Andre.

lsy
09-09-2004, 03:23 AM
I even had the feeling that Andre was playing better than Roger in the third set! Rogi had difficulties to attack, and today he looks absent at the net... Andre attacks a lot his backhand too!

Yeah, I felt that way too. Rogi was under pressures all the time.

Fedex
09-09-2004, 03:25 AM
haha, yea that's when he's just ridiculous and there's nothing you can do except try and somehow stick around and weather the storm somehow. Once you get him in his zone, he will Fedex anyone away.

I don't think he will be there tonight. He hasn't played and could be alittle unfocused, Andre has to hope for that and also play out of his 34yr old mind. All I was saying(in the first post) is Andre is probably one of the few players left that can go toe to toe with Fed. See IW match when Andre was two points away from a win over Fed.
I see people are obsessing over me. ;)

Billabong
09-09-2004, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I felt that way too. Rogi was under pressures all the time.

Hello lsy:hug:!
Yep Rogi was often on the defensive... but he still plays well, patiently and waiting for his opportunities! It's nothing compared to last year against Nalbandian;)!

Agassi Fan
09-09-2004, 03:27 AM
Go Andre!

Fedex
09-09-2004, 03:28 AM
:yeah: :cool: of course, he will say exactly that!
Tell Andre to mention me as well. ;) :p Been an Andre fan for years.

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 03:51 AM
Andre is just not tough mentally to beat Sampras or Federer even when they are not at their best. Hell, his chokes against Rafter, Becker and Phillippouisis are classic.

Federer could give Andre 4th set out of pity and he STILL will find a way to lose the 5th.

Should have taken the 1st set, then he would have had a chance. Oh well.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 03:56 AM
Nuff respect to the main man Andre Agassi. He is still in this fight. "Agassi Fan" don't despair. :)

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Nuff respect to the main man Andre Agassi. He is still in this fight. "Agassi Fan" don't despair. :)

I am sorry but Andre just doesn't win matches like this, period. Not when his back is to the wall and the opponent is very tough. He wants to be in control and doesn't handle pressure/adversity very well.

Sure, if he had taken 6-3, 6-2 lead, then Federer would have been in trouble. But he didn't. He lost the 1st set and the match is basically over because of it.

In short, Agassi serving at only 64% and hitting 25 unforced errors is simply not gonna get it done against FedEx. Now 75% and 15 UE is another story.....

Havok
09-09-2004, 04:17 AM
That game Andre played at 5 all in the 3rd set.:retard:

MisterQ
09-09-2004, 04:20 AM
I am sorry but Andre just doesn't win matches like this, period. Not when his back is on the line and the opponent is very tough.

Sure, if he had taken 6-3, 6-2 lead, then Federer would have been in trouble. But he didn't. He lost the 1st set and the match is basically over because of it.

In short, Agassi serving at only 64% and hitting 25 unforced errors is simply not gonna get it done against FedEx. Now 75% and 15 UE is another story.....

He needs to look to the Australian Open 2000 semi vs. Sampras for inspiration. ;)

Golfnduck
09-09-2004, 04:22 AM
GO ANDRE!!! MAKE THIS A FIVE-SETTER!!! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

sol
09-09-2004, 04:26 AM
He needs to look to the Australian Open 2000 semi vs. Sampras for inspiration. ;)

Also RG '99 after the rain delay being losing 2 sets-love early

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 05:12 AM
Also RG '99 after the rain delay being losing 2 sets-love early

Just watch him come out of the gates sluggish tomorrow, drop his serve right away, then scramble to break Federer back, only to choke the break-point(s) away by tentatively pounding Roger's 2nd serve return low into the net or missing the baseline by 5 feet.

"Zen Master" will then get very angry at himself, chair ump and will call Federer a "slanted-forehead German faggot" under his breath.

Same ol' song and dance with Andre.

Fergie
09-09-2004, 05:21 AM
Go Rogi!!! :bigclap: :hug:

superpinkone37
09-09-2004, 05:26 AM
i voted andre....i would really like for him to win but i dunno if he can pull it out

yanchr
09-09-2004, 05:45 AM
Not just your feeling...Most of the set, Andre was playing better than Roger. I felt Roger was gonna lose when serving at 4:5...Gosh he just pulled through...and with the help of Andre, he finally got the 3rd set, which was crucial probably. The set well reminded me of the 2nd set of Wimbly final...similar situation there, and then came the rain...Even my commentator said it was a curious set, with Agassi taking his services games so easily through and Roger all the way struggling. Yet another word was said...that's what made Roger the world No1.

Fedex
09-09-2004, 05:55 AM
It doesnt remind me so much of Wimbly final,2nd set, as Roger was killing Andy and had a 4-0 lead, and choked it away, only to come back and sneak it through. Not the case in that set.

WyveN
09-09-2004, 07:16 AM
The fact that Andre certainly outplayed Roger and deserved the 3rd set yet still lost it cant be all to encouraging for Agassi.
I have only seen the 3rd set but Andre was playing amazing tennis right until the conclusion of the set where I think nerves got a hold of him.
It will be interesting if he can find that high standard tomorrow where he cant afford to make any mistakes right from the start.

J. Corwin
09-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Ah yes, Andre you still can do it! I'm a believer in the Zen Mastah! ;)

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 07:42 AM
The fact that Andre certainly outplayed Roger and deserved the 3rd set yet still lost it cant be all to encouraging for Agassi.
I have only seen the 3rd set but Andre was playing amazing tennis right until the conclusion of the set where I think nerves got a hold of him.
It will be interesting if he can find that high standard tomorrow where he cant afford to make any mistakes right from the start.

64% 1st serve and 25 UE in only 3 sets is NOT = "amazing tennis" by any stretch of imagination.

Andy Roddick could get away with those figures because his 2nd serves are monsters and because he might hit 40 winners to compensate for 25 UE.....Andre 2nd serves are mediocre at best and he only hit 25 winners, which is flat-out not good enough against Federer.

Add to it the fact that Andre is a big ol' choker (as compared to the likes of Borg, Lendle, Sampras, Federer who seemed to elevate their game on crucial points even after being "outplayed" for most of the set on days when they didn't play their "A" game) and I do not see any way he can win tomorrow. Hell, he couldn't close out Mark Phillipousis at 2003 Wimbledon or Safin at 2004 AO in similar situations - how the hell is he gonna do it against someone as brilliant and unforgiving as Federer?

I do hope that Andre is lucky enough to stay healthy for another 2 years because when he IS healthy AND gets a good draw (read: not running into unbeatable FedEx in the friggin' Quarters), he can still win a slam or two. Not French Open, but maybe Aussie or even a US.

Mrs. B
09-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Let's go FedEx, let's GO!!! ;)

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:45 AM
Add to it the fact that Andre is a big ol' choker (as compared to the likes of Borg, Lendle, Sampras, Federer who seemed to elevate their game on crucial points even after being "outplayed" for most of the set on days when they didn't play their "A" game) and I do not see any way he can win tomorrow.

Maybe the guys you mentioned are just better players, better players usually win the "key" points. Being mentally tough is just as important as being talented as Safin is showing.

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:48 AM
64% 1st serve and 25 UE in only 3 sets is NOT = "amazing tennis" by any stretch of imagination.

Maybe you should watch the match instead of staring at statistics. Apart fromt the 5-5 game where Andre did make easy errors Agassi was playing his A game, he was even making difficult volleys at the net. And 64% is pretty good serving for anyone.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah, i agree. "AgassiFan" just chill out and enjoy the match. Andre going to come out shooting from the hip and take the match into an exciting 5th set. You'll see. ;)

Dirk
09-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Wyvern is right. Andre was on fire after he got out of that 0-30 game in the 2nd set. Rogi just seemed to be passive and was trying to find his range especially on his backhand and near the end of the 3rd set it looked like Rogi finally had began to put on his Ninja gear because his backhand was on and then the rains came. Andre played at a very high level and the crowd helped him out a lot. Rogi just was fighting to stay in it and Andre's level dropped and Rogi's level improved. The rest of the match is all about Rogi's errors. If he can keep them in check he will win.

Ferrero Forever
09-09-2004, 09:52 AM
i don't care who wins, i like both players, but i think roger will come out on top.

Space Cowgirl
09-09-2004, 10:00 AM

Andy Roddick could get away with those figures because his 2nd serves are monsters and because he might hit 40 winners to compensate for 25 UE.....Andre 2nd serves are mediocre at best and he only hit 25 winners, which is flat-out not good enough against Federer.

Add to it the fact that Andre is a big ol' choker (as compared to the likes of Borg, Lendle, Sampras, Federer who seemed to elevate their game on crucial points even after being "outplayed" for most of the set on days when they didn't play their "A" game) and I do not see any way he can win tomorrow. Hell, he couldn't close out Mark Phillipousis at 2003 Wimbledon or Safin at 2004 AO in similar situations - how the hell is he gonna do it against someone as brilliant and unforgiving as Federer?

I do hope that Andre is lucky enough to stay healthy for another 2 years because when he IS healthy AND gets a good draw (read: not running into unbeatable FedEx in the friggin' Quarters), he can still win a slam or two. Not French Open, but maybe Aussie or even a US.

Is your user name meant ironically? You don't sound like much of an Agassi fan to me ;) Chill out!

Proph
09-09-2004, 10:08 AM
Maybe it's Heya's evil twin

Daniel
09-09-2004, 12:28 PM
Vamos Roger!!!! :D :worship: :bounce:

pinky
09-09-2004, 01:49 PM
Whoever won this one, i hope he will won the open! That would either make another slam for Andre, with his first and last slam separated by 12 years!!! Or Roger would be the first guy since Wilander to win 3 slam in a calendar year...

Both players played great tennis, unfortunately not often at the same time. Roger played very well during the first set but made quite a lot of errors in the second and parts of the third. he also looked unconcentrated at times. Andre was quite solid, played a fantastic second set (3 UEs) and a good third set, with a bit too many UEs.

Hope it won't rain as much today, i want to see the end of this match asap! :)

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
yeah Rogi amazed me by breaking AA [or did AA break himself?] and taking the 3rd set when he was struggling and being v defensive out there, as AA likes, pinning him to the b/line and pulling him off-court as he does...

just come out firing, Rogi... take this sucker in 4!!! and be quick about it [not asking too much am I?!!]

Rogi not playing his best tennis by any means but managing to do the necessary... too many freakin UEs tho... his net game sucked...

AA v solid...

jtipson... love that reply!!!

so many celebs there: Jimbo, Mats, Vilas... Steffi...

Xavidbz
09-09-2004, 03:21 PM
I think Roger but I hope Andre.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Yeah, audience full of celebs. Never ever seen Connors watching a match before. Everyone (almost everyone) wants to see this titanic clash. Only about 20 people turned up to watch Henman v Hrabty on Grandstand. How embarrassing! :cool:
Go Andre and take out the Fedex in 5 glorious sets! :)

landoud
09-09-2004, 04:01 PM
ROGIIIIIII that what i hope

budikovac
09-09-2004, 04:49 PM
The turning point in the 3rd set was that drop-shot that Agassi tried and the ball hit the ground before even touching the net! Agassi was so disgusted with it, he looked like he wants to eat his own racket... I think that coasted him a lot of concentration! After that he lost he's serve and made all those unforced errors!

Talking about unforced errors, you all are saying Federer made to much UE's, Agassi to... but did you see what pace was that match played at! I mean they would change the balls every 2 games if they continued and the people that make stats they just count to many forced errors to the unforced! when somebody hits the ball as hard as they are to each other and on the rise as Agassi does that's hardly an unforced error!

DenzelWashington
09-09-2004, 05:36 PM
If Agassi beats Federer then he will just have to beat Henman in the Semi-Finals for a showdown with Roddick in the Final. I like the look of that line-up IF he beats Federer.

Does anyone here remember that nickname Agassi was called sometimes in the past "A-TRAIN"? I think its cool. Plus in today's matchup with Federer its especially cool to have "A-TRAIN" vs "FED-EX" lol

I like Agassi's chances as play resumes, cos its absurdly windy out there at the moment. Agassi is the best wind player in the world. Federer is not.

budikovac
09-09-2004, 05:49 PM
I like Agassi's chances as play resumes, cos its absurdly windy out there at the moment. Agassi is the best wind player in the world. Federer is not.
Agassi plays good when windy cause he doesn't let the ball bounce high, I mean the man plays half volleys from the back of the court... :bowdown:

DenzelWashington
09-09-2004, 05:52 PM
Agassi plays good when windy cause he doesn't let the ball bounce high, I mean the man plays half volleys from the back of the court... :bowdown:

Yep, thanks to dad shooting balls a million miles per hour at Dre's feet when Dre was in diapers. Agassi is a freak of nature with those half-volleys on the baseline :worship:

budikovac
09-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Yep, thanks to dad shooting balls a million miles per hour at Dre's feet when Dre was in diapers.
funny you should mention that, I was just arguing someone that if a player in his young age is harassed by his parents he has more chance of becoming a great one?
Did you know that when Andre would lose in the final his dad would immediately brake his trophy after leaving the court... :cuckoo:

DenzelWashington
09-09-2004, 06:10 PM
funny you should mention that, I was just arguing someone that if a player in his young age is harassed by his parents he has more chance of becoming a great one?
Did you know that when Andre would lose in the final his dad would immediately brake his trophy after leaving the court... :cuckoo:

Yep! His dad was cruel and unusual, I read this biography THE AGASSI AND THE ECSTASY, fascinating life Agassi has lived. I have no doubt that certain elements of his upbringing hurt Agassi psyche later in life and contributed to some bad results in the first half of his pro career.

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 07:02 PM
that's why he rebelled and went AWOL for awhile... can't blame him altho AA is quite the control-freak himself... yep, he's the best WIND player out there...

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 07:08 PM
Maybe you should watch the match instead of staring at statistics. .

Unlike you, I have watched the entire game.

<<<<<Apart fromt the 5-5 game where Andre did make easy errors Agassi was playing his A game>>>>

Easy errors on one's own serve in THE decisive game of the match Yeah, it doesn't get any more brilliant than that.....Klassic Andre. Seen it so many times before.

And no, he didn't bring his "A" game if your weigh clutch points heavier than normal points.

"A-MINUS" game perhaps - afterall he did make a few brilliant shots - but he didn't play the big points well (just as he didn't play the big points well against Safin in the Aussie open this year, or his notorious SF losses to Rafter at Wimbledon or quite a few defeats at the hands of Pete even when he would let Pete off the hook when Pete struggled on his serve and it mattered the most....and so on) and committed too many UE.

<<<<he was even making difficult volleys at the net.>>>

A few points do not a match make. How many of those difficult volleys led to a serve break? Did Andre reach deep down and break Roger at, say, 5-4 in the 3rd set, which probably would have tipped the whole match in his favor? Of course not.

<<<<And 64% is pretty good serving for anyone>>>>>

If by "anyone" you mean "Sampras and Roddick", then I agree. They hit a lot of unreturnable 1st serves and quite a few 2nd serves, so for them 64% is pretty solid.

Andre on the other hand, doesn't get get as many easy points on his 1st serve, but, what's worse, his SECOND serves are very pound-able. Big difference.

Against Federer, Andre needed to serve as well as he did against Novak (80+ % on points that mattered; around 75% overall). He also needed more than 25 winners and definately LESS than 25 UE in only 3 sets. Point is, against Federer, Andre needed as many easy points as possible AND he had to commit significantly less errors than Roger to win this match. He failed to some extent in both departments even if he generally played high-level tennis in other points.

Hence the "A-" garde and not "A". He needed to play his best, not NEAR his best. This tennis would have gotten it done against Hewitt or even Sampras. Federer is a different animal, unfortunately.

budikovac
09-09-2004, 07:10 PM
I'm at work and I don't have a TV here! :bigcry:
Please write the scores, at least tell me did Agassi lost his serve in the first game?

pinky
09-09-2004, 07:30 PM
I'm at work and I don't have a TV here! :bigcry:
Please write the scores, at least tell me did Agassi lost his serve in the first game?

2-2 in the fourth atm... Both AA and RF saved break points.

The wind is really BIG now, resulting in strange points.

LCeh
09-09-2004, 07:56 PM
We are now in the fifth... :scared:

SLICK
09-09-2004, 07:57 PM
:clap2: Whoa! Andre Agassi is on a roll. He takes the 4th set 6-3, we are at 2 sets all. Roger can't serve while Hurricane Francis is blowing around Arthur Ashe court. Andre ready to break 1st game final set. Go Andre! :yippee:

SLICK
09-09-2004, 08:01 PM
Going with serve Fed 2-1 up final set.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 08:06 PM
Fed misses a break point 2-2 final set. :D

tennischick
09-09-2004, 08:13 PM
Dayum i am at the office and not seeing any tennis. keep up the match reports please! thanks :kiss:

SLICK
09-09-2004, 08:14 PM
This could go to the wire. Fed 4-3 up going with serve.

tennischick
09-09-2004, 08:16 PM
...Plus in today's matchup with Federer its especially cool to have "A-TRAIN" vs "FED-EX" lol

yes but Fed-Ex can adapt to just about any condition.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 08:24 PM
:( Federer breaks and takes the match 6-3 in the final set. Kudos to both players for putting up with impossible windy conditions. :)

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Andre fucked himself over twice in this match and it cost him the whole entire match. The winds were crazy out there today, but they were perfect conditions for Andre to take out Federer. Andre serving at 3-4 bp federer plays the most :retard: crosscourt forehand and hits it out by a mile. Then Federer closes it out with ease, serving at the easier side of the court.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Agassi had enough chances, but Federer played the big points too well.

Mrs. B
09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
yes!!! Roger's won the 5 setter in those conditions! :banana:

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:28 PM
yes but Fed-Ex can adapt to just about any condition.
You're not even watching this match, so don't comment on something you're not even watching. Federer wasn't able to adapt to these high speed swirly winds at all (he plays loopy slice shots which don't work at all in the wind) Andre was the better "wind" player out there today because he plays a flat ball which flies through the air and isn't affected by it as much as a slice or topspin shot is. Anyways this wind was out of control and was pissing me off, even when Andre was winning and in control somewhat. It robbed us of good play, and who knows what this wind will do for our final 2 quarterfinal match-ups. :tape:

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:29 PM
The big point that mattered was that break when Fed was up 4-3. How did Federer play it better when Andre had the shot lined up and hit it like an idiot?

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:30 PM
Oh and just in case I get slammed with possibly me blaming the wind on Andre's loss, I'm not.;) Andre was even playing the wind better:lol: and he still lost. Fed deserved this win, he fought well.

tennischick
09-09-2004, 08:31 PM
fuck you Naldo. i was commenting on Federer as a tennis player. show me where i commented specifically on the match. you can be such a fuckhead at times. :fiery:

lucashg
09-09-2004, 08:32 PM
Heh, I'm glad they managed to pull off a great match even with those crazy winds! I guess anyone could win, Agassi has its chances just as much as Federer, but couldn't take advantage of them.

I truly think this match should be the finals, especially because they're my favorite players left, but as Federer has more chances to beat Roddick, I'm happier now. But oh, Henman is on his way. Damn!

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
I am sorry but Andre just doesn't win matches like this, period. Not when his back is to the wall and the opponent is very tough. He wants to be in control and doesn't handle pressure/adversity very well.

Federer could give Andre 4th set out of pity and he STILL will find a way to lose the 5th.....

Told you.

Somewhere Pete is laughing very hard.

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:35 PM
No Naldo was right. Andre was playing the better tennis but Rogi made and chance for him so he could serve it out and won it. I am still shocked that Rogi won it but I am very very happy. :) Mac and others were saying how great of a wind player Andre is and how he was looking forward to the conditions well Rogi manage to raise his game at the right moments.

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
Oh and Rogi was bad again at the net today. I am sure for Henman he will be much better.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 08:36 PM
The big point that mattered was that break when Fed was up 4-3. How did Federer play it better when Andre had the shot lined up and hit it like an idiot?

Agassi had more chances to win this match, than Federer, but the question is who won the match? If the person who had more chances and doesn't convert them, then they don't win, it's not that a difficult equation.

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:37 PM
fuck you Naldo. i was commenting on Federer as a tennis player. show me where i commented specifically on the match. you can be such a fuckhead at times. :fiery:
You said Fed can adapt to just about any condition and isn't the WIND the condition we were talking about? You made it out to seem that Federer can play through anything, and it clearly showed in this match that he wasn't able to play solid tennis out there today. Frankly I don't blame him, those winds were insane and I doubt anybody could have played 'well" out there.

lucashg
09-09-2004, 08:38 PM
I do agree with Naldo that Agassi was the best "wind" player in the match, except that he didn't know how to control his return-shots on Federer's 1st serves for most of the match, that's why I think he lost.

Federer played great as well, but his slice shots weren't working, he had 56 UEs, wow. Just about his number of winners, though.

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:39 PM
And the wind doesn't appear to be stopping. This is going to ruin the Haas Hewitt match. Rogi played well enough to win but the match sucked. I agree about having a wind rule because nobody can enjoy tennis like this.

pinky
09-09-2004, 08:39 PM
You're not even watching this match, so don't comment on something you're not even watching. Federer wasn't able to adapt to these high speed swirly winds at all (he plays loopy slice shots which don't work at all in the wind) Andre was the better "wind" player out there today because he plays a flat ball which flies through the air and isn't affected by it as much as a slice or topspin shot is. Anyways this wind was out of control and was pissing me off, even when Andre was winning and in control somewhat. It robbed us of good play, and who knows what this wind will do for our final 2 quarterfinal match-ups. :tape:

Good analysis and i agree about the wind preventing good play, but looking at the conditions they really played very well.
I wonder how it will look now with Hewitt vs. Haas...

PS: I am just watching a replay of the end of Hrbaty-Henman and there is absolutely no wind on that court! bloody Arthur Ashe Stadium :(

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:40 PM
Agassi had more chances to win this match, than Federer, but the question is who won the match? If the person who had more chances and doesn't convert them, then they don't win, it's not that a difficult equation.
If you say Federer played the "big points" better, doesn't that lead to Roger picking up his game and attacking and possibly hitting winners, rather than Andre hitting stupid errors (like that forehand when he was bp down)? I mean that's just how I look at it, maybe you look at it differently?:shrug:

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Well thanks to stupid golf, I don't have any more tennis coverage. I'm gonna miss the Hewitt/Haas matchup.:( One that I was dying to see. Well at least I don't have to sit through that wind anymore.:drive:

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:47 PM
No Naldo you are spot on when it comes to that match. It could have gone either way and it went Rogi's way. The wind just ruined what was a great match till today. It cause them both to have bad play and make silly errors.

pinky
09-09-2004, 08:48 PM
If you say Federer played the "big points" better, doesn't that lead to Roger picking up his game and attacking and possibly hitting winners, rather than Andre hitting stupid errors (like that forehand when he was bp down)? I mean that's just how I look at it, maybe you look at it differently?:shrug:

Hitting winners in these conditions is really tough and stupid errors are very easily made then ;)

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:50 PM
Andre fucked himself over twice in this match and it cost him the whole entire match.

Well Federer's worst service game of the year cost him the 4th set. In such winds it is the player who makes the less errors who is going to win rather then the player who makes the spectacular play.

Havok
I think that's what I'm most mad about, that stupid wind.:( I mean the level of play with the wind wasn't bad, could you have imagined how good of a match it would have been sans the stupid 1000 mph wind.:D

WyveN

Well he was hitting with the wind and 25% of the shots from that end were flying 3 meters past the baseline even when the players didnt swing.

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Well Federer's worst service game of the year cost him the 4th set. In such winds it is the player who makes the less errors who is going to win rather then the player who makes the spectacular play.
Very true, but if you take a look at both times Andre had dumped his serves, the wind wasn't really a factor. The wind most definitely played a part in Andre winning that 4th set, don't get me wrong. Though to miss that last forehand, from someone as consistent as Agassi is, was a bit odd.

Havok
09-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Well he was hitting with the wind and 25% of the shots from that end were flying 3 meters past the baseline even when the players didnt swing.
We seem to have a little dissagreement as to the wind issue.:p I don't think the wind had an immense roll in that last forehand going out, Andre misshit it moreso than the wind carried it out. Mind you I could be mistaken, but even our commentators (not those from the USA network) said that he misshit that one.

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:54 PM
Though to miss that last forehand, from someone as consistent as Agassi is, was a bit odd.

Roger played a short ball and Andre basically had to go for it because he didnt want to be faced with a Roger passing shot. In normal conditions Andre makes that shot 9 times out of 10 but with the wind those odds go way down. The last 2 sets were filled with such errors.

DenzelWashington
09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
This is the first time I've ever felt good after an Agassi loss. He did everything right today. Luck is luck.

rassklovn
09-09-2004, 08:55 PM
I wonder when Agassi reflects on this, that whether he will ever forget the day, that he played in a windtunnel.

WyveN
09-09-2004, 08:56 PM
We seem to have a little dissagreement as to the wind issue.:p I don't think the wind had an immense roll in that last forehand going out, Andre misshit it moreso than the wind carried it out.

But a mishit from Andre doesn't mean the wind didn't play a part. The wind could have held the ball up thus ruining his timing.

I guess we will neve know unless he is asked in the press conference.

Dirk
09-09-2004, 08:57 PM
Naldo Rogi made his fair share of silly errors too so it all balances out. I'm still stunned Rogi won. That wind was killing his service game in the 4th set.

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:01 PM
I know that Dirk, I did watch the match afterall.;) And yeah WyveN I guess we just have to wait and hear it from Andre, that is if he gets asked about it.:lol:

MisterQ
09-09-2004, 09:03 PM
what a waste of chances. way to go Andre :banghead:

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:05 PM
I think after today, we need a wind smilie for mtf. :)

Mase
09-09-2004, 09:06 PM
:sad: Good fight Andre, definitely a tough quarter match but you showed that you can still hang!!!

Good win Roger!!

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM
Though to miss that last forehand, from someone as consistent as Agassi is, was a bit odd.

To those who've been watching him since 1990, it did not come as a surprise. Choking on big points in big games is what Andre does best.

Zen Master my fucking ass. Sickening.

sol
09-09-2004, 09:20 PM
I'm sorry for Andre. I didn't see the last two sets bcs I'm working.
Well done, Roger!

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:21 PM
So while he was winning all those slams and titles and getting to #1, he was sucking pure ass and was shit on big points?:tape: Interesting.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 09:24 PM
So while he was winning all those slams and titles and getting to #1, he was sucking pure ass and was shit on big points?:tape: Interesting.

Yes, he sucked winning every Slam at least once and handing out a lot of beatings to many good players.

AgassiFan is the type to expect Andre to have 82-3 record consistently for 10 years, and then gets so disappointed when he fails to reach that achievable target.

alfonsojose
09-09-2004, 09:24 PM
Well. At least Andre knows that he still has game. Thank God The women's semis look really interesting while ZZZederer, The Droid II, rules ATP :zzz:

Fergie
09-09-2004, 09:27 PM
Well done Rogi, you're the best :bigclap: :hug:

TheLittlestElf
09-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Good try Andre :).

Nice win Roger.

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:30 PM
Well. At least Andre knows that he still has game. Thank God The women's semis look really interesting while ZZZederer, The Droid II, rules ATP :zzz:
YOu think the lindsay/sveta match and the jen/demented match will be interesting? I hope they are, but in reality I don't think they will be. Both american ladies in straights I say.

tennischick
09-09-2004, 09:31 PM
You said Fed can adapt to just about any condition and isn't the WIND the condition we were talking about? You made it out to seem that Federer can play through anything, and it clearly showed in this match that he wasn't able to play solid tennis out there today. Frankly I don't blame him, those winds were insane and I doubt anybody could have played 'well" out there.
yes i said that Federer can adapt to ANY condition. that is a comment on his superiority as a player. it is NOT a comment on the match. i did NOT and have not commented specifically on the match.

similarly when i say that you are a Fuckhead, i am commenting on you as a poster. just so you get my drift. fucking Duckfan :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

WyveN
09-09-2004, 09:32 PM
Imagine dementeva serving in this wind, I would watch the match just for that :lol:

J. Corwin
09-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Watch such a windy match was a nice different experience. :) Good for you Roger, you toughed it out.

Fergie
09-09-2004, 09:33 PM
Imagine dementeva serving in this wind, I would watch the match just for that :lol:
Yuk, poor Demi :haha: :haha: :haha:

tennischick
09-09-2004, 09:35 PM
:lol: :lol: funny image

Marine
09-09-2004, 09:41 PM
:lol: :lol: funny image

Boomrang effect with the wind against her !!! LOL

*Ljubica*
09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Congrats to Roger - showing what a class act he really is :worship:

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:48 PM
It might actually correct her disgusting service toss, so who knows.:haha:

Havok
09-09-2004, 09:49 PM
yes i said that Federer can adapt to ANY condition. that is a comment on his superiority as a player. it is NOT a comment on the match. i did NOT and have not commented specifically on the match.

similarly when i say that you are a Fuckhead, i am commenting on you as a poster. just so you get my drift. fucking Duckfan :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Fuck.

Sorry I just had to keep the "fuck tally" a bit even.:p

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 09:50 PM

She is such a nice girl and Fred Stolle has been working on the ball toss, but it's so hard work.

Well done Roger, that was definitely not a performance of beauty, but as long as the W is next to his name that's all that counts.

Lee
09-09-2004, 09:51 PM

She did! She played doubles with Ai on Armstrong but the wind was not as brutal as in Ashe.

alfonsojose
09-09-2004, 09:55 PM
YOu think the lindsay/sveta match and the jen/demented match will be interesting? I hope they are, but in reality I don't think they will be. Both american ladies in straights I say.

I talking about diferent girls winnig slams and reaching finals. 2002 Serena Vs. Venus was :zzz: and if Zzzederer wins the U.S. Open :yawn: I admire his strokes his insticts, etc. , etc. but i he's so flawless sometimes that is pretty boring, like .. Sampras :eek: The Droid

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 09:57 PM

Yes, the wind is a condition, but Federer adapted well enough to produce a win. So, he CAN play through anything.

Havok
09-09-2004, 10:00 PM
*sigh* sigma give up please.

and alfonso now I understand your point.;) Yes I do agree I am enjoying the WTA slams this year, with different winners for every slam, I for one wouldn't have predicted this at the end of 2003 that's for sure.

Marine
09-09-2004, 10:01 PM
I like both players, I didn't who to cheer. But it's in NYC, so I had a preference for Roger's win (the crowd disguted me at the beginning of the tournament...)

I hope Agassi won't retire now...I'll miss him a lot when he'll decide to stop !!!

RogiFan88
09-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Rogi is not without flaws... nobody is, but I'm amazed he was able to pull it out today v. the odds... esp a tough AA

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 10:14 PM
I just saw the press conference and Agassi was very gutted and Federer was very relieved and he said it was like I had to wait for the mistake and the fact that he made a mistake it was only 1 set and for Agassi it was the match.

SLICK
09-09-2004, 11:14 PM
To those who've been watching him since 1990, it did not come as a surprise. Choking on big points in big games is what Andre does best.

Zen Master my fucking ass. Sickening.
:mad: Say what? You better change your username to "Agassibitch" or "Agassibackstabber", no true fan of the double A could be so disrespectful. Nuff respect to the "A-train". Long may his distinguished career continue! :cool:

Crazy_Fool
09-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Agassi didn't perform well on the big points :rolleyes:

Congrats to Federer - things weren't going well and he just stuck at it.

Terrible conditions for tennis

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Terrible conditions for tennis

Character building those conditions.

Billabong
09-09-2004, 11:38 PM
Rogi:woohoo:!
I feel sad for Andre though:sad:!

AgassiFan
09-09-2004, 11:59 PM

He was beating the likes of Stich, Medvedev, Martin, Schuetner.

His couldn't beat Courier in big matches when the latter was in his prime.
He couldn't beat Sampras even when Pete was past his prime (2001-2002)
He couldn't beat Becker after leading 6-2, 4-1 in Wimbledon Semi
He couldn't beat Hewitt in big games when Leyton was at his best in 2001.
He was squandering set/match-points vs. Rafter in all those Wimbledon Semis
He couldn't convert early against Safin in 2004 AO.
He cannot beat Federer even when Roger does everything he can to lose.

Of all the great champions, Andre handles the pressure of a wire-tight matches the worst.

AgassiFan
09-10-2004, 12:22 AM
I hope Agassi won't retire now...I'll miss him a lot when he'll decide to stop !!!

It's clear Andre will play until he is 40 if he still has a chance to win. If only that pesky Federer would lose in the 4th round once in a while :D

Michael Jordan was stupid enough to retire 5 years before he was "done" and Agassi is too ambitious and loves the game too much to make that mistake. Barry Bonds is by FAR the best player in baseball, so that might inspire Andre as well.

WyveN
09-10-2004, 12:30 AM
She is such a nice girl and Fred Stolle has been working on the ball toss, but it's so hard work.

Hrbaty's ball toss was ending up on court 12 in this wind

WyveN
09-10-2004, 12:33 AM
It's clear Andre will play until he is 40 if he still has a chance to win. If only that pesky Federer would lose in the 4th round once in a while :D

Except that this is the first slam that Roger has beaten Andre in so I dont think Federer is the lone problem.

AgassiFan
09-10-2004, 12:57 AM
Except that this is the first slam that Roger has beaten Andre in so I dont think Federer is the lone problem.

He would have been the problem had Andre converted either of his set-points in the first 2 sets (both ended up going to tie-break which he lost) against Safin at AO and advanced past SF. If Federer is not the one in the final, Andre probably wins that whole tournament. FO and Wimbldon were wiped out because of the hip flare-up, so they don't really count.

But yeah, I've told you this before and I'll say it again: 1st serve and backhand. They cost him dearly against Coria, Phillipousis and Ferrero in 2003 slams and Safin in 2004 AO. He was able to improve on both of those areas this 2004 USO, and as a result almost pulled one out against Federer himself.

As long as his serve doesn't regress and his backhand stays sharp, Andre will make some major noise for another year or two yet. Favorable seeding is key, but then again, it's key for most players not named Federer, so....