fair final pick [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

fair final pick

robuś
05-09-2010, 01:46 PM
Which option would you choose, in the case if two players are close to each other before the final and have both one pick left? What to do to keep it fair play?

*gentlemen's agreement - two players can agree that the higher standing player won't "block" the lower one (by posting the same pick)

**reversal pick - player can post a pick e.g.
PAW13: Federer over Nadal
if player X picks the same then please revers to Nadal over Federer

Just vote in the poll above.

Frooty_Bazooty
05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Thee could be a fifth option where that the higher ranked player gets to pick first, but they cannot change it after they have made that pick. Then the second person can either decide to choose the opposite player and go for the win or try and guard their second place against people below and go for the same pick as the leader (as the leader will have most likely chosen the favourite player to win)

the leader has an advantage as they get to choose first but a disadvanatage in that they do not get to decide whether their pick is the same or different from the second person

just an idea :shrug:

Caio_Brasil
05-09-2010, 09:13 PM
Don't know really. Will give it a think.

Unlimited change of picks has always been the deal, but one can lose it because not being online at the time play will start.

Björki
05-09-2010, 09:17 PM
I really have no idea :awww:

but I don't like *gentlemen's agreement

156mphserve
05-09-2010, 10:57 PM
definately send by PM, both players can do what they want without the other knowing

Hazem
05-09-2010, 11:16 PM
definately send by PM, both players can do what they want without the other knowing

This is :yeah:

Sending the picks in PMs shouldn't be allowed except for the final pick only.
Each player can send their final pick to the manager in PM without knowing the final pick(s) of the other player(s).
The manager should capture the PMs & add their images in the thread after the match starts.
This situation should be allowed only for those players who compete for the title by their final picks.

I refuse the 'reversal pick' option at all. Each player should write their pick regardless to the others'.

This is my opinion.

andrijagajic
05-10-2010, 09:55 AM
So, do you know see Aenea?
Guys, look at this pages: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=9895560#post9895560
Labamba's pick was: Reverse of my pick and I sent my pick by PM. . . And Labamba accepted it! :O Very unfair!

Aenea
05-10-2010, 10:07 AM

very often the managers play the tournament that they are managing. what if the manager himself is one of the contenders for the title. then what?

andrijagajic
05-10-2010, 10:41 AM
Then he can send PM to one of competitors who want to help :S

hallso
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
So, do you know see Aenea?
Guys, look at this pages: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=9895560#post9895560
Labamba's pick was: Reverse of my pick and I sent my pick by PM. . . And Labamba accepted it! :O Very unfair!

there wasn't any rule about that at that moment
all you can say to Aenea is "thank you very much for managing this and others tournaments"
you've already been whining in rome paw thread in stupid and arrogant way
unless you are able to express your doubts in other words, better stay quiet

andrijagajic
05-10-2010, 03:07 PM
No, I won't stay quiet to this tyranny!

hallso
05-10-2010, 07:01 PM
I won't discuss with you kiddy anymore

sdtoot
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM
I think the only way to resolve this issue is to allow all players (not just those in contention) the option to send in a PAW pick (on the final day only) via pm to the manager. If a pick is sent via pm then the player must post on the PAW thread to say that his/her final pick has been sent by pm. e.g. PAW13: Sent via pm to Manager. The manager can then post the picks he/she has received via pm once the final has started or when they are next online.

Sending picks via pm works fine in TT so I don't see it can't work in PAW. In the situation where the PAW manager is in contention for the title coming into the final day, then maybe a PAW board member can be nominated to receive the final days PAW picks via pm.

Frooty_Bazooty
05-10-2010, 09:10 PM
I agree with sdtoot, I think the PM option is the best option, but also that it needs to be announced that you have done so so that the other player isnt waiting around all day for you to make your final pick,not realising you sent it privately

Frooty_Bazooty
05-10-2010, 09:15 PM
It might also be a good idea to bring up the possibility of a warning system for disruptive players who abuse managers or are disrespectful, for example like .Yves used to be before he got banned for cheating. Maybe something like 3 warnings = a 1 month ban or minus 200 ranking points or something

andrijagajic
05-10-2010, 10:46 PM
I think the only way to resolve this issue is to allow all players (not just those in contention) the option to send in a PAW pick (on the final day only) via pm to the manager. If a pick is sent via pm then the player must post on the PAW thread to say that his/her final pick has been sent by pm. e.g. PAW13: Sent via pm to Manager. The manager can then post the picks he/she has received via pm once the final has started or when they are next online.

Sending picks via pm works fine in TT so I don't see it can't work in PAW. In the situation where the PAW manager is in contention for the title coming into the final day, then maybe a PAW board member can be nominated to receive the final days PAW picks via pm.

Exactly same as my opinion ;)

Hazem
05-11-2010, 12:44 AM
I agree with sdtoot, I think the PM option is the best option, but also that it needs to be announced that you have done so so that the other player isnt waiting around all day for you to make your final pick,not realising you sent it privately

+2

Action Jackson
05-16-2010, 01:17 AM
Maybe the PAW managers can announce it in the thread title on the last day. Contenders please PM final day pick.

Then the manager post the PM's in the PAW thread after the final has started.

sdtoot is right.

Aenea
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
Why is this poll called "fair final pick" anyway? I fail to see what is there unfair about everyone posting their picks directly into the thread. If the fav wants to guard his 1st spot by choosing the fav of the match it should be OK. And if the RU wants to guard his 2nd spot by choosing the same pick or trying to overtake the fav by taking the more profitable but also more risky underdog - it should be OK, too. I still think all picks should be posted directly into the thread and should be open to all contenders.

hallso
05-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I prefer to avoid AO 2009 situation :)
if you want to post all your picks, it's your decision
but imo it's much more better to send last picks by PM than to decide who post their pick 1 second before play starts and who was 1 second late

Aenea
05-16-2010, 10:43 PM
OK whatever the majority decides :shrug:
But I like how Tina manages in a PAW-board-in-commitments-thread manner - "Match closed for picking" and that's it.

Bashak
05-21-2010, 08:55 PM
I picked unlimited change of pick meaning "let players pick whatever" but I guess pm'ing would be the fairest solution.

jrm
05-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Close encounter going into final: don't mind getting PM

jrm
05-22-2010, 01:33 PM
I'm more annoyed with replacements/cancellations before the tournament has even begun! I mean usually the entire draw with all qualifiers is filled on Saturday and that gives you plenty of time to make your predictions.

Regarding final pick: i have made '*' under final scoring points saying players who are in the runnings CAN send me their last PAW per PM if they want.

sdtoot
06-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Can we draw a line under this discussion and poll? The vote seems to favour allowing the sending in of final picks via pm but maybe this should now be written into the PAW rules.