Michael Barkan needs to be fired! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Michael Barkan needs to be fired!

Rick V
09-08-2004, 07:45 AM
Tonight's "interviews" were his lowest ever and that's saying a lot. As bad as his pre-match interview was with Robredo, his post-match interview with Capriati should have been enough by itself to get him fired. The prick questioned her about the dubious line calls as if she were responsible for the calls. It was totally unfair and uncalled for. The crowd bood when he asked that fucked up question b/c it was so patently unfair. Barkan's stupidity completely spoiled Capriati's post match ecstasy. And as for the Robredo interview, Barkan showed no respect for Tommy. He was totally classless. Its a damn shame too b/c Tommy's a really nice guy.

Barkan's a moron. He's worked the U.S. Open for the USA network for 20 years and he still knows absolutely nothing about tennis. A few days ago in another of his pre-match interviews, he basically told a young, unknown girl about to play Venus that she must be really, really nervous and how would she possibly be able to deal with that. I wished she had just looked at him and kicked him in the nuts. Then as he's writhing on the ground in pain, she could have said to him "You know what? Good news, I feel a lot looser. Thanks Mike."

I swear I think USA keeps him around just so that every year they can show that stupid clip of him interviewing Barbara Streisand where she says Agassi "plays tennis like a Zen Master."

The guy's gotta go.

EHendrick
09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
I agree. I am going nearly crazy with the advertisements in the middle of points, the two or three points not seen because of commercials, the many, MANY Roddick montages, and the inane/hackneyed commentary. I am having to turn the volume way down sometimes. I used to like nearly everybody - JMac, Carillo, Courier, etc, but this much time with these people? I'm still sick of Courier from the Olympics! I am going crazy. This is my first time paying close attention to a Slam. How do you people do it? :banghead: So I don't know if it's the Barkan guy that's bad or that I am just sick of everybody at this point.

But back on topic, Tommy was the perfect gentleman, so good for him for handling a shitty situation rather well. And the 'who am I?' with Tommy was really cute, so maybe that makes up for it. :)

Oh, and the Roddick matches? :zzz: In some games, it was just Robredo walking back and forth at the baseline between aces. And I can't get into being excited about how fast he hits his serves, no matter how much they hype it. All of the week 1 five-setters and the Federer-Santoro match have been the most interesting for me so far.

/rant over, back to lurking

Auscon
09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
what did he say in the Robredo interview?

Red~Ruby
09-08-2004, 10:43 AM
yah what happened nit he robredo interview? I'm very interested.
OMG tell me about it how much they try to excite us about roddick's serve speed, hello,:bigwave: I don't see what there is to jump:bounce: up and down about!!!! my commentator is as if pleading with us to see just how good a player roddick truly is.

RogiFan88
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
the players s not be interviewed on their way out to the court... it breaks their concentration, esp so close to the match... it s be outlawed... after the match, yes, but not immediately before... esp w pointed Qs... so biased but what else is new? they are willing non-Amers to lose...

Socket
09-08-2004, 02:37 PM
The impression I'm getting is that the commentators don't think that the tennis is impressive enough to hold the viewers' attention, so they have to "entertain" us by talking incessantly about everything under the sun. They're wrong, the tennis is almost always excellent, and these guys need to just shut up and stop being a distraction.

Socket
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM
the players s not be interviewed on their way out to the court... it breaks their concentration, esp so close to the match... it s be outlawed... after the match, yes, but not immediately before... esp w pointed Qs... so biased but what else is new? they are willing non-Amers to lose...

You and Serena should have a conversation about these conspiracies you both seem to be seeing everywhere.

RebelNYC
09-08-2004, 02:47 PM
I am really angry about USA Network letting John Madden (who is a good guy,
but that's NOT the point) up in the booth during the Carlos Moya match
several evenings ago.....instead of focusing on tennis, it showed just how
much disrespect they have for any non-American player....I was so angry
over that.....they really don't think tennis can hold the viewers interest,
that is so obvious.