Is this year US Open boring? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is this year US Open boring?

Rosa Luxembourg
09-08-2004, 04:08 AM
Indeed, we had 3 good matches (2 with Sargis playing and one with Michail vs. David).

Wins are for the most part lopsided, no drama... What's wrong?

Tennis Fool
09-08-2004, 04:10 AM
It just got interesting with the Serena-Capriati match.

On the men's side, I'm hoping for a Duck/Hewitt rematch. :D

Havok
09-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Nah, I'm loving it on both sides, even thoguh there was some definite controvercy in that Serena/Jennifer match. Good tournament so far.:banana:

Tennis Fool
09-08-2004, 04:12 AM
Rain is coming, tho.

superpinkone37
09-08-2004, 04:13 AM
i think its been a pretty good tourney, and yes, definatly some contraversy now over the serena/jcap match. gotta love the drama :)

Fergie
09-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Not, only Roddick is boring :o

Havok
09-08-2004, 04:18 AM
Rain is coming, tho.
Shhh. Maybe it'll go away if nobody talks about it.:scared: but seeing as though we're nearing the end and there are like 4 matches to be played per day, it isn't "that" bad.

trixy
09-08-2004, 04:24 AM
I havn't watched much of the open this yr but i think its been quite interesting though and there are some great quarter-finals and some semi-finals taking shape. The only complaint i have is that every1 i want to win is losing!! Tommy will change that though :)

ataptc
09-08-2004, 04:34 AM
there were quite a number of good matches already..serena-cappy was definitely one of them.. that one seemed like the final.. haha

as for the rain forecast, it didnt rain today, did it?

jmp
09-08-2004, 04:39 AM
It's been pretty interesting to me so far. There's lots of new blood out there. Even the early round womens' matches have been interesting. I also like watching the mental side of what's going on as well. The Jen/Serena match was good minus the "controversy". I thought the disgustingly poor conduct of the lines people/umpire was so egregious that I had to write the USTA. Eventhough there have been a few lopsided matches, there have been quite a few squeakers. Even some of the straight set victories have included very high quality from both opponents. I'm still looking forward to seeing how this tournament unfolds.

jmp
09-08-2004, 04:42 AM
ataptc, according to one of the spokespeople at USA Network, it rained this morning before the matches started. But, the rest of the day turned out beautifully.

heya
09-08-2004, 05:06 AM
It's a lot better than Wimblesuck.

Red~Ruby
09-08-2004, 05:06 AM
I think it has been a great tournament for the quality and excitement of the matches, but it seems the attendance this year is not like last year. It seems like the crowds are not that much going wild like last year.
Oh the drama of that match serena/cap.
did you all hear the crowd booing capriati when she said she didn't really see the ball?

ataptc
09-08-2004, 05:43 AM
ataptc, according to one of the spokespeople at USA Network, it rained this morning before the matches started. But, the rest of the day turned out beautifully.

ah ic.. hope there wont be any washouts in the next few days :)

Fedex
09-08-2004, 06:02 AM
Well, normally I'd say yes, as both Roddick and Hewitt are still left in the tournement, but there have been some great matches appearantly, and plus 3 ofmy favourites are in the QF.Federer, Haas, Henman :D

Lalitha
09-08-2004, 06:48 AM
Not at all. But it is not exciting as well.

Ferrero Forever
09-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I really don't think the tournment is boring, i just think the matches that are shown on TV are. I mean juanqui vs zib and juanqui vs koubek would not have been boring matches, but they were not shown in australia. Federer VS Santoro was a great match which i was fortunate enough to see, but Agassi VS Federer wasn't shown here, and that would have been another great match

Daniel
09-08-2004, 07:51 AM
as long as Rogi win it is good for me :D

rassklovn
09-08-2004, 08:40 AM
No more boring than usual.

Auscon
09-08-2004, 09:09 AM
Theres been a few good matches here and there

But the prospects for the rest of the tournament look great

Hrbaty (who I think has had a decent record this year in taking out top 10 players) vs Henman who's achieved his best ever result here, after having to fight for every match in the early rounds

Hewitt, in blistering form (although not as blistering against Beck), in somewhat of a comeback year after dropping to 17/18th in the rankings vs Haas, a guy on a really big comeback who seems to be playing some great tennis so far....their head to head is fairly even at 5-4

Agassi vs Federer........need say no more

Roddick vs Johansson......power v power, this might be the first test of Roddicks mettle, then again, it could also be another thrashing

Im really hoping there will be at least 2 great matches out of those 4

*Ljubica*
09-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Personally I haven't enjoyed it at all. The only matches I really got involved with were Koubek/Ferrero and Moya/Rochus, though I admit the time difference means I've missed all the night matches as I'm fast asleep when they happen and at work during our afternoon "highlight" show,

WyveN
09-08-2004, 09:33 AM
I have to say the injuries/poor form of Nalbandian, Ferrero and Coria have detracted from the tournament

WyveN
09-08-2004, 09:35 AM
Add Safin to that list

Satanic Pasteur
09-08-2004, 09:49 AM
Henman/Karlovic was interesting if you like Yvo' "style", Federer/Baghdatis was fun even if Roger didn't play that great but the kid had a very good behaviour.

My favorite match so far was Federer/Santoro because Fabrice played great and there was a lot a fun for both of them during this one (maybe not for Fab in the first set because Roger was just godlike in this one, his best set of the year IMO). You could see a lot of respect between the two and Santoro looked very often bewildered which was funny to see.

Otherwise, this Open is a bit boring so far but Federer/Agassi is looming so wait and see...

Space Cowgirl
09-08-2004, 11:38 AM
I've enjoyed it so far. Mind you, I only started watching tennis 'full time' this year again, so I can't compare with last year's Open.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-08-2004, 02:15 PM
It's interesting how people are always hyping up matches between the stars and they are more often than not fizzers. At the same time if people like predictability then the US Open has been good, but if not, then it's not so good.

It will only get better if Roddick doesn't win.

Vladimir Poutine
09-10-2004, 08:56 AM
It seems it has just got better for many fans with Duck exiting the tournament.

Fedex
09-10-2004, 09:07 AM
I really don't think the tournment is boring, i just think the matches that are shown on TV are. I mean juanqui vs zib and juanqui vs koubek would not have been boring matches, but they were not shown in australia. Federer VS Santoro was a great match which i was fortunate enough to see, but Agassi VS Federer wasn't shown here, and that would have been another great match
Let me guess, they show Hewitt matches all day. :o Those for me, are very boring.

Fedex
09-10-2004, 09:10 AM
I have to say the injuries/poor form of Nalbandian, Ferrero and Coria have detracted from the tournament
That is true. All of them being forces on hardcourt as well.

Fedex
09-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Add Safin to that list
He is not injured. Maybe mentally :o but he's been like that for awhile

Yashirobai
09-10-2004, 10:15 AM
I think there are no Grand Slams which are boring, but definetly this US Open is not being one of my favourites. Undoubntetly, last year's was much more interesting; apart from many great matches, Champions Race was also much more tied with 4 players trying to get to Number 1 spot. Now, that is just decided many months ago.

chris whiteside
09-10-2004, 10:26 AM
After the Williams/Capriati fiasco? No way.

Ferrero Forever
09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
i found the rogi-agassi match VERY boring. I like both players but because the wind was so strong the ball just kept going into the net, and there was nothing either player could do about it. I would of liked to see them fight for every point, not have to focus on the wind direction and getting the ball to go over the net

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-10-2004, 12:30 PM
JL, you think any match without Ferrero is boring.

jmp
09-10-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Fedex
He is not injured. Maybe mentally :o but he's been like that for awhile

I think it was during the day session yesterday, but, Johnny Mac started crying some serious crocodile tears over Marat's first round exit and his disappointing career in general. :crying2: I wanted to pass him a hanky. But, I need it for myself. ;)

PerezRoldan
09-11-2004, 03:39 AM
Far from it now, when there is an all-Russian final in the women's and no Americans in the men's semi finals. The USTA must be really hurting at this prospect.

Iheartandy&roger
09-11-2004, 07:00 AM
No it's not boring just disappointing.

Fedex
09-11-2004, 07:06 AM
Its had its good moments and its bad ones. And JQ Lover, when the match was originally played at night (1st 3 sets), i heard the quality was excellent, but the wind the next day, ruined the last two sets.

Ferrero Forever
09-11-2004, 09:27 AM
JL, you think any match without Ferrero is boring.

contrary to popular belief, i do appreciate tennis and players other then ferrero. I found that match really boring, and i didn't see the first 3 sets, but i take your word for it that it was great quality, i mean i really like federer and agassi and they are both great players. It's too bad that the conditions were so crap