how fair is it that Robredo had to deal with such a negative interview... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

how fair is it that Robredo had to deal with such a negative interview...

tennischick
09-08-2004, 02:16 AM
...just before he goes on court? i mean how fucked up is it that an interviewer basically tells a player has NO chance of winning a match just before he goes on court to play said match!!! :mad: :mad:

and wtf is up with the ATP that they keep allowing players to be subjected to this kind of media abuse? does the ATP not see itself as having any protective responsibility at all to its players? :fiery: :confused:

this seriously pisses me off. :fiery: :mad: :mad:

and of course the Duck was completely spared any pre-match interview. how fucked up is that?

SanTaureau Fan
09-08-2004, 02:21 AM
I didn't see it, but I'm totally against interview right before the match. If I would be a player I would refuse to do it.

Goenitz_196
09-08-2004, 02:22 AM
...just before he goes on court? i mean how fucked up is it that an interviewer basically tells a player has NO chance of winning a match just before he goes on court to play said match!!! :mad: :mad:

and wtf is up with the ATP that they keep allowing players to be subjected to this kind of media abuse? does the ATP not see itself as having any protective responsibility at all to its players? :fiery: :confused:

this seriously pisses me off. :fiery: :mad: :mad:

and of course the Duck was completely spared any pre-match interview. how fucked up is that?

Any chance of a link to the interview? I want to see for myself.

WyveN
09-08-2004, 02:22 AM
what was he asked?

I don't think it came as a major surprise to Robredo that no one thinks he will beat Roddick.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 02:34 AM
i saw it on TV so i can't provide a link. if you weren't watching the match you would not have seen it.

we all expect Robredo to lose -- that is not the issue. but it's one thing for us to speculate about that on a messageboard and quite another thing for someone to rub this in his face just before he goes on court. very unfair.

Ballbuster
09-08-2004, 02:35 AM
calm down, don't let the Roddick hating get this bad.

Tennis Fool
09-08-2004, 02:40 AM
I was ready to listen to the match on Radio US Open, hoping for an upset, and then my speakers go out.

Bad sign :scared:

lucashg
09-08-2004, 02:41 AM
It's pretty rude to say that to a player minutes before he goes on court. I didn't see the interview, but t sounds lame.

Yes, everybody knows Robredo has almost no chance at all against Roddick. He plays well and when the ball is on play, it's not that difficult for him to gain the point, but he cannot hold Roddick's serve and his 2nd service is weak, so there go his chances... but to an interviewer to rub it in his face, must be kinda bad.

tangerine_dream
09-08-2004, 02:48 AM
i mean how fucked up is it that an interviewer basically tells a player has NO chance of winning a match just before he goes on court to play said match!!!

Hee! Don't let it get you too upset, TC. Journalists are known for being tactless.

And besides, had the interviewer told Robredo that he basically has no chance of beating [insert tennis god's name here], you would be solemnly nodding your head in agreement and think nothing of someone stating the obvious. :)

star
09-08-2004, 02:49 AM
I don't know what the interviewer said, so I can't judge.

I think the appropriate thing is to say, What do you have to do tonight to counter Roddick's power? Or something like that. If the interviewer said, "How does it feel to have no chance of winning tonight?" That would be bad.

Anyway, that was a darling little puff piece USA did on Robredo. It made him look very cute. :)
Not that it's hard to make Tommy look cute. He's adorable.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Hee! Don't let it get you too upset, TC. Journalists are known for being tactless.

And besides, had the interviewer told Robredo that he basically has no chance of beating [insert tennis god's name here], you would be solemnly nodding your head in agreement and think nothing of someone stating the obvious. :)
you clearly do not know me.

i work in media and i would never ever do something as tactless as that. and just so you know, even tho' i am not a Potato fan, this is the one aspect of his battle with the ATP that i totally supported. they fined him over US$80,000 (initially) bec he refused to do a pre-match interview. it is bec of the possibility of questions like that that most players do not like being subjected to these types of questions BEFORE they go on court. you can ask a player any kind of question AFTER a match -- Lud knows i have. but before a match all you need is positive energy. surely even you can understand that?

WyveN
09-08-2004, 03:00 AM

Get a clue, this has nothing to with Roddick but the ineptitude of journalists.

Having said that I doubt the interview was forced upon Robredo and he probably agreed to do it himself.

Shy
09-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Players are being too nice.Sometimes it is good to adopt Rio atitude and tell them to shut their mouth .

Havok
09-08-2004, 03:05 AM
Yes that was dumb. Even though Robredo knows it himself, that was dumb. I'm surprised that shit didn't come from Al Trautwig's mouth, or whatever that man's name is. He's close in the :retard: department with MalVia.

Socket
09-08-2004, 03:08 AM
I didn't see the interview -- was it that idiot Michael Barkaan? The players need to avoid him like the plague. The only reason I can figure that USA network keeps him on the payroll is that he must have pictures of the network's president with some barn animals.

Chloe le Bopper
09-08-2004, 03:08 AM
I missed it, but I'm not surprised :p

tennischick
09-08-2004, 03:09 AM
Yes that was dumb. Even though Robredo knows it himself, that was dumb.
thank you :worship: :worship: this is exactly my point.

tangerine_dream
09-08-2004, 03:11 AM
you clearly do not know me.

Never claimed to.

i work in media and i would never ever do something as tactless as that. and just so you know, even tho' i am not a Potato fan, this is the one aspect of his battle with the ATP that i totally supported. they fined him over US$80,000 (initially) bec he refused to do a pre-match interview. it is bec of the possibility of questions like that that most players do not like being subjected to these types of questions BEFORE they go on court. you can ask a player any kind of question AFTER a match -- Lud knows i have. but before a match all you need is positive energy. surely even you can understand that?

I agree that players should not be interviewed just before a match but tactless questions/comments are sadly the norm in media.

Blaze
09-08-2004, 03:14 AM
Never claimed to.

I agree that players should not be interviewed just before a match but tactless questions/comments are sadly the norm in media.

Than why did you have to bring up the Roddick and Federer debate.
This is clearly not about Roddick.

Sometimes I really wonder why you have Federer in your signature cuz you really hate his guts.

Havok
09-08-2004, 03:15 AM
I didn't see the interview -- was it that idiot Michael Barkaan? The players need to avoid him like the plague. The only reason I can figure that USA network keeps him on the payroll is that he must have pictures of the network's president with some barn animals.
Yes it was that dimwit.:retard: There are certain things you just don't bring up, I hope someone mentions this to him.:tape:

WyveN
09-08-2004, 03:16 AM
Sometimes I really wonder why you have Federer in your signature cuz you really hate his guts.

Why not? Everyone else in the top 10 is there ;)

Blaze
09-08-2004, 03:17 AM
Yes it was that dimwit.:retard: There are certain things you just don't bring up, I hope someone mentions this to him.:tape:

No wonder Serena refused to be interview by him after her match tonight.

Havok
09-08-2004, 03:20 AM
No I think she just needed some time to vent, and I don't blame her one bit.

Neely
09-08-2004, 03:26 AM
Players are being too nice.Sometimes it is good to adopt Rio atitude and tell them to shut their mouth .
I'd better not imagine what would happen here on this board if a certain player X told interviewers to shut up :tape: :tape:

tangerine_dream
09-08-2004, 03:32 AM

Hey! Someone got Dirk's memo! That's exactly right, Blaze. I hate Federer's guts and I only like him cause he "wins a lot". I enjoy spending my time and money reading about him and watching him play 'cause in reality? I can't stand him. I'm still waiting for someone to explain the logic behind my also liking players who don't win a lot, but no matter! This is MTF and logic doesn't count, so you get a gold star for being the asshat that you are. Good boy. :)

dylan24
09-08-2004, 03:42 AM
the guy doing the interviews from usa network is a moron.

Blaze
09-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Correction, I'm a female and didn't get any memo or whatever from Dirk.

I just based my conclusion from what I have observed in your posts. Whenever Roddick is being discussed, you are the first one to bring up Federer and when you are questioned about it, you always state that Federer is one of your favorites. Most of the time you don't even support him like you do your other socalled favorites and all you same to do is post his post match interview on his forum and post second hand pictures. At the same time, you go in other forums and bash him claiming that you like to make fun of your favorites, yet your don't do this to your other darlings.

Also, no one claimed you can't do research or spend money on someone you hate. I for one is of the opinion that you always need to be aware of your enemies deeds. T

And no one said that you can't waste time or money on someone you dislike

tangerine_dream
09-08-2004, 03:51 AM
I just based my conclusion from what I have observed in your posts.

You don't do enough observing of Tennis Chick then, because whenever there's a chance to trash Roddick, she's there. :p

Whenever Roddick is being discussed, you are the first one to bring up Federer and when you are questioned about it, you always state that Federer is one of your favorites.

I use Federer as an example to expose people's double-standard bullshit. The things Roddick is criticized for, Federer gets a free ride on. Roger's not the only one who gets away with things here and I use other players as examples. But you, naturally, only see what you want to see.

Most of the time you don't even support him like you do your other socalled favorites

And how would you know anything about me to say this? I don't hang out in Agassi's forum that much, either, but I support him 100%. There are many players I like but the AR forum's a blast to hang out in. Therefore, I'm there. :)

At the same time, you go in other forums and bash him claiming that you like to make fun of your favorites, yet your don't do this to your other darlings.

:haha: Show me the posts where I "bash" Roger and I'll show you twenty where I bash Roddick. I'm dying to see what you come up with.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 03:52 AM
Never claimed to (know you TC). .
hmm, you were implying that you knew me when you claimed the following (and i quote): "And besides, had the interviewer told Robredo that he basically has no chance of beating [insert tennis god's name here], you would be solemnly nodding your head in agreement and think nothing of someone stating the obvious. "

when you tell me what i would or would not do in a given situation, then you are implying that you know me. and clearly you don't.

i don't care what the norm is. that does not make it acceptable.

Deboogle!.
09-08-2004, 03:54 AM
Yea I commented on the interview in our MSN chat right when it happened. Totally tasteless and classless. You don't remind a guy right before he walks out on court that he has had a lot of trouble with his opponent in the past. It's not fair. But on the other hand, it's not like Tommy didn't already know he's never taken a set off Andy.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 03:57 AM
You don't do enough observing of Tennis Chick then, because whenever there's a chance to trash Roddick, she's there. :p

guess what, this thread is about the unfairness of negative pre-match interviews. it's not about bashing Duckboy. apparently you missed that. :o :o

Tennis Fool
09-08-2004, 03:59 AM
Tangy doesn't care. She just wants to hijack the thread.

liptea
09-08-2004, 03:59 AM

Yeah, I really started hating that guy when Capriati started making those "I've had bad calls too, guuyysss..." whine, and he started going, "Yeah, I know!"

I just think he needs to learn when to shut his mouth. He probably thought he was showing off his amazing tennis knowledge when he asked that question.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 04:05 AM
Yeah, I really started hating that guy when Capriati started making those "I've had bad calls too, guuyysss..." whine, and he started going, "Yeah, I know!"

I just think he needs to learn when to shut his mouth. He probably thought he was showing off his amazing tennis knowledge when he asked that question.
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Blaze
09-08-2004, 04:06 AM

I use Federer as an example to expose people's double-standard bullshit. The things Roddick is criticized for, Federer gets a free ride on. Roger's not the only one who gets away with things here and I use other players as examples. But you, naturally, only see what you want to see.

And how would you know anything about me to say this? I don't hang out in Agassi's forum that much, either, but I support him 100%. There are many players I like but the AR forum's a blast to hang out in. Therefore, I'm there. :)

:haha: Show me the posts where I "bash" Roger and I'll show you twenty where I bash Roddick. I'm dying to see what you come up with.

1. We are not talking about T C

2. I certainly do see that you are serving "two gods" and that certainly is not possible. You will love one and hate the other. You can decide on your free time who you love or hate.

3. I am not talking where you hang out or not. I'm talking about most of your comments after he had won a match and most of them seem to suggest you don't appreciate the effort he put in to win on a consistent basis. You act as if it is something that is expected of him, and that sadly is not the case.

4.Remember, the emphasis here is " in other forums that are not his personal forum or GM". You don't need me to remind you about you "Swiss cutter" thread or whatever you call it in AR forum, do you? Do I see any of those threads about, say, Andre in Roger's forum since you claim to love Andre also?

I noticed a while aog you mentioned going to the Long Island tournament (surprised I remembered), that must suggest you and I live approximately in the same time zone, and right now I'm way past my bed time so, good night. :wavey:

jbone_14
09-08-2004, 04:10 AM
Robredo's game is actually impressive, a lot more impressive than Andy Roddick. His Forehand is just as big and consistent as Andy, His backhand is way better, and his movement is great. Andy's serve is the only reason why he won, comfortably.

Havok
09-08-2004, 04:13 AM
Robredo's bh better? It doesn't cease to amaze the things you say jbone_14. So how's that stupid coach of yours comming along with your tennis lessons?:)

J. Corwin
09-08-2004, 04:14 AM
I agree it is tactless and just plain ignorant. They have done this with other underdog players too...just practically asking them how do they feel about losing before the match even starts. It is not just unfair to Robredo but to the other players that have been getting the same ass treatment.

liptea
09-08-2004, 04:14 AM
Robredo's game is actually impressive, a lot more impressive than Andy Roddick. His Forehand is just as big and consistent as Andy, His backhand is way better, and his movement is great. Andy's serve is the only reason why he won, comfortably.

I'm only 15, I really missed the whole domination of Pete Sampras. Did people used to say the same thing about Pistol Pete? I know he had a giant serve.

elusive
09-08-2004, 04:25 AM
erm, sadly this thread has gone way off track frm a neutral discussion on unethical interviewers to poster-bashing. why does this always seem to happen? :(

anyway, i agree wholeheartedly that these interviewers are downright insensitive and need to learn some principles of humanity.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 04:28 AM
erm, sadly this thread has gone way off track frm a neutral discussion on unethical interviewers to poster-bashing. why does this always seem to happen? :(

anyway, i agree wholeheartedly that these interviewers are downright insensitive and need to learn some principles of humanity.
only a couple of posters tried to derail the thread. the good news is that we can make sure they don't succeed. :angel:

Lisbeth
09-08-2004, 05:34 AM
Pre-match interviews are always, without exception, stupid. They are purely for the benefit of the media with no regard to the player who is trying to concentrate and do their job. Robredo probably wouldn't have done any better anyway but I am sorry he was subjected to that.

Oh, and I don't just think this because I am a LLeyton fan ;) - it just seems like common sense to me that interviews should be after the match when there is something to talk about!

Lisbeth
09-08-2004, 05:35 AM
liptea, Sampras did have a big serve but it was far from his only weapon.

rassklovn
09-08-2004, 08:16 AM
Ok, tangerinus has been at it again.

I don't care who the player is, there is no purpose for an interview 5 mins before they are about to play a match, there are slightly more important things to think about, than listening and answering inane questions, before going out to play when they need to be focused as much as possible.

Daniel
09-08-2004, 08:20 AM
americans *sigh*

misyou25
09-08-2004, 08:23 AM
what kind of interview? im confused

Lalitha
09-08-2004, 10:08 AM
I'm not surprised by the treatment given to Robredo. Apparently, even the #1 was treated similarly.

Don't they have something like code-violation in their associations? :(

2Tough4Men
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
I didn't see it, but I'm totally against interview right before the match. If I would be a player I would refuse to do it.

Why don't you ask Lleyton if that's a good idea.

Space Cowgirl
09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
That's really not on. Are players obliged to give pre-match interviews? If so that is not right. I'd refuse and pay the fine, sod those media idiots. They have plenty of time after the match to ask their moronic questions

*Ljubica*
09-08-2004, 11:49 AM
Ok, tangerinus has been at it again.

I don't care who the player is, there is no purpose for an interview 5 mins before they are about to play a match, there are slightly more important things to think about, than listening and answering inane questions, before going out to play when they need to be focused as much as possible.

I didn't see the interview - doubt it was shown here and I wasn't awake anyway - but I agree wholeheartedly that there is no purpose for an interview before a player starts a match. That should be their time to focus and prepare mentally for the match in whichever way they choose - interviews at that time are intrusive and should not be allowed in my opinion.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 12:12 PM
Rosie: the interview occurred literally as Robredo was about to go on court. he's standing there in the tunnel with his bag on his shoulder -- and a microphone in his face.

the problem is that a LOT of the people who cover tennis have clearly never played the sport (at least not competitively) and consequently do not have a clue. for example there is that idiot who gives away the outcome every night. unbelievable! and he always calls the score wrong. it's embarassing to see this level of disrespect for tennis. i can't think of any other sport in which the anchor who is doing the nightly commentary/wrap-up doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about. it's as bad as Marv "Wimpleton" Albert who knew more the wig on his head than he did about tennis. surely there are plenty of former tennis players they could hire for the job? :mad:

jtipson
09-08-2004, 12:19 PM
That's really not on. Are players obliged to give pre-match interviews? If so that is not right. I'd refuse and pay the fine, sod those media idiots. They have plenty of time after the match to ask their moronic questions

I think the ATP wanted to have all players sign an agreement to do pre-match interviews, earlier this year or late last year. There was a thread on it - let me see if I can find it.

Socket
09-08-2004, 01:14 PM
americans *sigh*

Non-Americans. *bigger sigh*

*Ljubica*
09-08-2004, 01:23 PM
Rosie: the interview occurred literally as Robredo was about to go on court. he's standing there in the tunnel with his bag on his shoulder -- and a microphone in his face.

the problem is that a LOT of the people who cover tennis have clearly never played the sport (at least not competitively) and consequently do not have a clue. for example there is that idiot who gives away the outcome every night. unbelievable! and he always calls the score wrong. it's embarassing to see this level of disrespect for tennis. i can't think of any other sport in which the anchor who is doing the nightly commentary/wrap-up doesn't have a clue of what he's talking about. it's as bad as Marv "Wimpleton" Albert who knew more the wig on his head than he did about tennis. surely there are plenty of former tennis players they could hire for the job? :mad:

Thanks for the explanation tennischick. I am so glad that I don't have to put up wth this rubbish or I might kill someone. All our commentators are former players - both international stars like Cash and Becker, and former British players. In fact it was only relatively recently (a couple of years) that Wimbledon even did player interviews AFTER the final, because we thought it was disrespectful to intrude on the players in their private moments.

star
09-08-2004, 01:32 PM
2. I certainly do see that you are serving "two gods" and that certainly is not possible. You will love one and hate the other. You can decide on your free time who you love or hate.

Blaze, I noticed this paragraph, and I hope you don't mean it. Do you really mean that you can't support two players who are playing for the top spot? Do you really mean you HAVE to love one and HATE the other?

I don't feel this way about tennis. I hope others don't either. I know sometimes when you've already formed an affection for one player when another comes along to challenge that player, it's hard to like the challenging player, but I don't see that you MUST dislike one player.

I like both Lleyton and Andy. They may clash very soon. I hope they do because it will mean they are both in the semi final. I would like both of them to be in the final.

I love Guille. I want Guille to beat everybody except Guga. But that doesn't mean I have to hate any of his opponents or even dislike them. I can support his opponents too, can't I, even if I am rooting for another player?

Sorry, but I was just deeply troubled by this paragraph, and I hope you don't really mean what you say there. :sad:

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-08-2004, 02:33 PM
I totally supported Hewitt's stand against the ATP, when he refused to do a pre-match interview just before going on court. The players have enough time to do press, what they couldn't have interviewed Robredo yesterday asking his thoughts, if they were that keen on it.

Luckily, where I am the commentators and journalists have a basic clue about what is going on and wouldn't interview a player just before they are about to play.

WyveN
09-08-2004, 02:46 PM
I seem to recall worthless suggesting interviews with the players after each set to entertain the tv audience :tape:

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-08-2004, 02:47 PM
I seem to recall worthless suggesting interviews with the players after each set to entertain the tv audience :tape:

This is the same guy that says Slams should be 3 sets, so another not so good solution. Btw, read the Stupid Journalists thread.

WyveN
09-08-2004, 02:49 PM
This is the same guy that says Slams should be 3 sets, so another not so good solution. Btw, read the Stupid Journalists thread.

Maybe they want players to play with headsets/microphone on so that they can give their thoughts on the match during a rally.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Maybe they want players to play with headsets/microphone on so that they can give their thoughts on the match during a rally.

Brad Gilbert would have loved that in his day, he always commentated on his matches while he was playing them.

WyveN
09-08-2004, 02:55 PM
Brad Gilbert would have loved that in his day, he always commentated on his matches while he was playing them.

I dont think he got rid of that habbit, apparently he will talk to anyone including bananas while a player he coaches is playing

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-08-2004, 02:59 PM
I dont think he got rid of that habbit, apparently he will talk to anyone including bananas while a player he coaches is playing

Well Steffi couldn't handle him.

Players with the microphones/headsets is scary, it will be for Roddick, wow that was a great drop shot or Canas that was a magnificent 200km/h second serve ace.

the cat
09-08-2004, 03:02 PM
TC, it was nice to see the USA Network focus some of their attention on Tommy Robredo instead of Andy Roddick last night. Robredo came up with the right answers for USA Network reporter Michael Barkhann. He knew he was up against it but he sais he would try to win. And Tommy played capably too. There is no doubt about it. I think Barkhann should have focused on Robredo's best qualities as a tennis player and not so much on Roddick and making it seem like he didn't have a chance against Roddick. And I did find it odd that Roddick wasn't interviewd before the match along with Robredo. Andy is normally very accessible with the media. Don't they usually interview both players before the night matches on Ashe Stadium?

And TC, Marv "Yes" Albert was better at tennis broadcasting than you think. And he had Jim Courier by his side too. ;)

By the way Miss Chick, who are you talking about that gives away the score every night and gives wrong scores as well? Al Trautwig of the USA Netowrk or Rich Eisen of CBS?

tennischick
09-08-2004, 05:50 PM
Cat:
Marv was horrible. he kept calling the score wrong. and he would always wait til the player hit an ace and then shout "ACE!!!!!" at the top of his lungs which i found rather annoying -- especially since i don't consider watching a string of aces to be the ideal tennis match as you know :o

the idiot is Al Trautwig but the other moron on CBS is not a whole lot better. really anyone of us could do a better job.

tennischick
09-08-2004, 05:58 PM
:lol: :lol: don't give the Duck any ideas! :eek:

...now let's see...hmmm...should i hit him with the 149mph or the 152mph?...where the heck is my latest trophy chick?...look at Brad yapping his head off as usual instead of watching me!...

heya
09-08-2004, 06:35 PM
Brad boasted about breaking the world record with a 160 mph serve as if nothing was more important.

YoursTruly
09-08-2004, 06:55 PM
I think both CBS and USA networks are trying to do this interview before the match thing more and more.

Black Adam
09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Brad boasted about breaking the world record with a 160 mph serve as if nothing was more important.

i just love the sense of this........ brad and andy probably place the speed gun results before the match itself........... :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

maratski
09-08-2004, 07:24 PM
I think the ATP wanted to have all players sign an agreement to do pre-match interviews, earlier this year or late last year. There was a thread on it - let me see if I can find it.

I remember this as well. There was lots of discussion about it a while ago. It's ridiculous to do pre-match interviews, other then on the practice court when a player is warming up for a match

BTW TC, nice to know you have some free time in the evening to amuse me :kiss:

the cat
09-09-2004, 12:16 AM
TC, Marv Albert is a legendary sportscaster and he was new to tennis. And I think that's why he sounded awkward announcing tennis and mistakenly getting pumped up over aces. Albert is great at calling basketball games but he was not in his element announcing tennis and it showed. But atleast he tried and he didn't sit there like a zombie. I am surprised by Al Trautwig's struggles in the USA Network studios. he is normally much better than what he has shown at this years U.S. Open. And I think Trautwig's recent coverage of the Tour de France for the MSG Network and the Summer Olympics for NBC were most important to him and being the USA Newtowrk studio host is not as importnat to him. And he may be tired from all of the travel too. I know why you're frustrated TC. Real tennis fans like us want the best tennis broadcasters calling the matches and working in the studios. But it doesn't always happen that way.

Iheartandy&roger
09-09-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm all for roddick but thats rude to do to a player cuz NOBODY is considered out till the match is over never coun't anyone out cuz who knows maybe the #1 or 2 or 3 or whatever seeded player will have a bad day that day DON"T judge by a number it means fuck all if they dont play up to it. And how nice of the media screw them that's how all the rivalry gets started and all the hatin! grrr....

lizabeth..*
09-09-2004, 01:43 AM

Only in America... :rolleyes:

tennischick
09-09-2004, 01:49 AM
BTW TC, nice to know you have some free time in the evening to amuse me :kiss:
i'm on home base with my own computer til Sunday. i am so enjoying myself! :kiss:

~EMiLiTA~
09-09-2004, 12:42 PM

:lol: so true

Socket
09-09-2004, 01:35 PM

Sure . . . What a racist remark.

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 01:36 PM

How is that racist, Socket?

Socket
09-09-2004, 01:46 PM
How is that racist, Socket?

Because it generalizes from one specific person's behavior to the behavior of an entire country of millions of people and then irrationally states without any evidence at all that no other person in any other country would ever behave that way. Saying, "Only Barkan would do that" is not racist, but saying, "only in America is." Like a Spanish or Australian or French sports reporter *never* asked a tactless question at an inopportune time? Sure that never happened. Right.

lizabeth..*
09-09-2004, 01:47 PM

:lol:

Socket
09-09-2004, 01:53 PM

What an articulate response!

sigmagirl91
09-09-2004, 01:57 PM
Because it generalizes from one specific person's behavior to the behavior of an entire country of millions of people and then irrationally states without any evidence at all that no other person in any other country would ever behave that way. Saying, "Only Barkan would do that" is not racist, but saying, "only in America is." Like a Spanish or Australian or French sports reporter *never* asked a tactless question at an inopportune time? Sure that never happened. Right.

I think that the term you're looking for is "xenophobic", is it not?
Racial remarks would involve a race of people, not the entire country. The US has many races dwelling within its borders, so what lizabeth said is not "racist"; it's "xenophobic".

Socket
09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
I think that the term you're looking for is "xenophobic", is it not?
Racial remarks would involve a race of people, not the entire country. The US has many races dwelling within its borders, so what lizabeth said is not "racist"; it's "xenophobic".

I certainly won't disagree that her comment was xenophobic. Whether you prefer to call her comment xenophoic or racist, it's still illogical, irrational, and insulting.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 02:17 PM
I certainly won't disagree that her comment was xenophobic. Whether you prefer to call her comment xenophoic or racist, it's still illogical, irrational, and insulting.

It was not a racist comment at all, and what would happen if an American said "Only in America"?

The problem is when people take stereotypes too seriously, then it becomes shit. Is it racist for me to say that only in America they could have a World Series in a sport where they and Canada are the only participants?

It's like people from my country, not everyone is a conservative, racist, inward looking person still hangering for the old Empire and supported Adolf.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 02:19 PM
Back to the topic, there is no way this interview should have happened for Robredo, just before he went on court. If I was him, I would have refused to do it, right there and then.

The incidents of these kinds of happenings in tennis have mainly happened in the US, it doesn't happen at the other Slams or other ATP events besides the one with Hewitt.

Socket
09-09-2004, 02:45 PM
It was not a racist comment at all, and what would happen if an American said "Only in America"?
People who are members of a racial group are very capable of making racist comments. Have you ever listened to some rap? Many black people find the lyrics in rap music written and performed by blacks to be racist.

The problem is when people take stereotypes too seriously, then it becomes shit. Is it racist for me to say that only in America they could have a World Series in a sport where they and Canada are the only participants?

It wouldn't racist, only nonsensical. MLB is played in the those two countries, so it is the "world" series for MLB. It would be a problem if the championship was called the American Series, but that's not so.

It's like people from my country, not everyone is a conservative, racist, inward looking person still hangering for the old Empire and supported Adolf.

Agreed.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 02:49 PM
People who are members of a racial group are very capable of making racist comments. Have you ever listened to some rap? Many black people find the lyrics in rap music written and performed by blacks to be racist.

Yes, I am aware of that, very aware of that for my own personal reasons for which I am not going into here, but you overreacted and there is no way that the original comment was racist.

It wouldn't racist, only nonsensical. MLB is played in the those two countries, so it is the "world" series for MLB. It would be a problem if the championship was called the American Series, but that's not so.

It's not a true World Series, it's like rugby league which is only played in Australia, New Zealand and England, that is not the meaning of a world event.

~EMiLiTA~
09-09-2004, 03:10 PM
I think that a tiny comment like that, which was just made in jest, should not be totally taken out of context like it has been and ppl should learn not to get so hung up on puny pathetic things like this...grow up

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I think that a tiny comment like that, which was just made in jest, should not be totally taken out of context like it has been and ppl should learn not to get so hung up on puny pathetic things like this...grow up

Don't worry I am not the one taking it seriously.

~EMiLiTA~
09-09-2004, 03:13 PM
no, not u!

lizabeth..*
09-09-2004, 03:17 PM
It's not a true World Series, it's like rugby league which is only played in Australia, New Zealand and England, that is not the meaning of a world event.

And France, Ireland, Scotland, Fiji, Western Samoa, South Africa..........*lol* Sorry...I'm an avid rugby fan...

Anyway....yes my comment was said in jest...and I am sorry if I insulted you Socket...but in no way was that ment as a racial comment and I can't see how it could be one...but anyway...enough said on this...I've apologised...nothing more I can do.

Socket
09-09-2004, 03:20 PM
And France, Ireland, Scotland, Fiji, Western Samoa, South Africa..........*lol* Sorry...I'm an avid rugby fan...

Anyway....yes my comment was said in jest...and I am sorry if I insulted you Socket...but in no way was that ment as a racial comment and I can't see how it could be one...but anyway...enough said on this...I've apologised...nothing more I can do.

Apology accepted. That's the end of this thread.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 03:21 PM

I said league and not rugby union, there is a major difference in its international appeal.

Some people are just oversensitive.

Havok
09-09-2004, 03:27 PM
Please don't say "only in America" blame it on that fucktard Michael Barkan who is a real :retard: He doesn't know how to speak, talk, or interview someone. Him and Al whatever his last name is should just go home and never come back to the US Open.:tape:

Chloe le Bopper
09-09-2004, 03:32 PM

Erm, actually, no. There would be no problem if it was called the "American" series, because both countries do lie on the greater continent of America. I realize that some people tend to forget this from time to time, but the USA is not the only country with claims the greater American continent, ahem ;)

lizabeth..*
09-09-2004, 03:54 PM
I said league and not rugby union, there is a major difference in its international appeal.

Some people are just oversensitive.

Oversensitive...no...misread your comment...yes.

Marc Rosset is Tall
09-09-2004, 03:57 PM
Oversensitive...no...misread your comment...yes.

I was refering to the fact that Socket overreacted.

lizabeth..*
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
I was refering to the fact that Socket overreacted.

Ahh...with you now...it's late...my bad! :)

tangerine_dream
09-09-2004, 09:10 PM
*sigh*

I certainly do see that you are serving "two gods" and that certainly is not possible. You will love one and hate the other. You can decide on your free time who you love or hate.

You lost me. Why must I love one and not the other? Why do some people find it impossible to believe that a person can be a fan of two (or three) completely different styles of players and personalities? :confused: I honestly don't get this reasoning.

I am not talking where you hang out or not. I'm talking about most of your comments after he had won a match and most of them seem to suggest you don't appreciate the effort he put in to win on a consistent basis. You act as if it is something that is expected of him, and that sadly is not the case.

Maybe he's spoiled me. Maybe I make the mistake of thinking he'll cut a path through everyone like he's been doing all year. :) Of all the players I like to watch, he is the only one I rarely worry about, if at all.

Remember, the emphasis here is " in other forums that are not his personal forum or GM". You don't need me to remind you about you "Swiss cutter" thread or whatever you call it in AR forum, do you? Do I see any of those threads about, say, Andre in Roger's forum since you claim to love Andre also?

Roger is indeed the Big Cheese (ie, Number One, the Top Dog, etc). But there are no haters in that thread. Nobody is gloating over his losses. Roger is not trashed at all. It's a stupid, silly thread designed to entertain us and nothing more. It came about after one of those late-night parties on MSN with some other fans and I put it in the AR forum b/c Roddick is owned by Roger. The whole thread is a goof. There are several Fed fans who get the joke and don't mind it at all.

I'm way past my bed time so, good night. :wavey:

Good night (or good day, whichever it is). :wavey:

Tennis Fool
09-09-2004, 10:09 PM

This thread degenerated quickly.