What's going on with Djokovic's serve motion ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What's going on with Djokovic's serve motion ?

alter ego
04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
He just can't hit a decent serve these days. It's painful to watch at times, he's like a kid on his first tennis lessons.

Noleta
04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
This thread aren't funny anymore.

Certinfy
04-17-2010, 03:33 PM
No.

DualMedia
04-17-2010, 03:35 PM
ya, he should, and murray,delpo,fed,soderling,roddick,blake,and every other player in the world. STOP CREATING THREADS FOR PLAYER WHO ARE IN THEIR EARLY TWENTY'S TO RETIRE!!!

alter ego
04-17-2010, 03:36 PM
Ok, ok I was kidding. Time to rebrand the thread.

Certinfy
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Give him time with the serve, you can't expect the change on it to be immediate...

Noleta
04-17-2010, 03:44 PM
He just can't hit a decent serve these days. It's painful to watch at times, he's like a kid on his first tennis lessons.

His serve is affecting his game and his mind,even though it's not that important on clay,still worrying if you know you can rely on it to get some free points.Todd fucking Martin should give back the money he earned from Nole:rolleyes:

alter ego
04-17-2010, 03:53 PM
His serve is affecting his game and his mind,even though it's not that important on clay,still worrying if you know you can rely on it to get some free points.Todd fucking Martin should give back the money he earned from Nole:rolleyes:

I think you are right about the serve affecting evrey aspect of his game. He looked so unsure and stress when he had to hit a 2nd serve, mumbuling to his camp. That can't be good for the confidence.
But I guess you saw the slow motion replay near the end of the first set. The arm wiht which he is throughing the ball stays in a vertical possition for too much time. That seems to be such a basic mistake. :eek:

Forehander
04-17-2010, 04:05 PM
Nothing. Serving as well as ever. It's better than 2 years ago if you ask me. He's just constantly being outplayed that is all =(

DrJules
04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
He needs time to recover from Todd Martin whose coaching should carry a warning:

Warning: Todd Martin can seriously damage your tennis.

cardio
04-17-2010, 05:22 PM
He used to have a good serve. Not great as Sampras or Karlovic, but good enough to be top player, to win a slam.He was just a little bit worse on serve department than Fed. He won lot of cheap points from it, saved lot of breakpoints. But he forgot one basic thing : if it is not broken, dont fix it ! Obviously he wanted even better serve and now he almost has a Volandri-serve. Except he makes more double faults than Volandri. It is painful to watch.
He cant be top guy and contender for slams with that serve. He has to get back his old faithful one.His vulnerability on serve affects his whole game. If he cant fix his serve, he is out of top 10 next year.

Fedicilous
04-17-2010, 05:25 PM
He had a good serve in 2007 for example.

I remember Roland Garros 2007, where he was totally exhausted and won the matches against Verdasco and Andreev thanks to great serve.

btw

Someone should create a thread about when Djokovic should retire.

Lalalovesong
04-17-2010, 05:54 PM
Djokovic retire? I'm glad he's just 22.

His service is very bad atm and he needs to sort in out asap.
Winning or not, Djokovic is a character that makes tennis more interessting to watch

And he will bounce back i'm sure, he lost a SF against Verdasco(who played a fantastic match) and people draw conclusions too early.
We can discuss this after Roland Garros, his performance there wil be very important.

laurie-1
04-17-2010, 06:22 PM
He had a good serve in 2007 for example.

I remember Roland Garros 2007, where he was totally exhausted and won the matches against Verdasco and Andreev thanks to great serve.

btw

Someone should create a thread about when Djokovic should retire.

I was at that match in Roland Garros against Andreev and thought Novak was developing a great serve with a lot of power having seen it close up.

I'm really intrigued to hear about these problems now. Can anyone explain what the technical problem is with his serve? I'm interested in that kind of stuff.

Start da Game
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I was at that match in Roland Garros against Andreev and thought Novak was developing a great serve with a lot of power having seen it close up.

I'm really intrigued to hear about these problems now. Can anyone explain what the technical problem is with his serve? I'm interested in that kind of stuff.

there's no direct technical problem.......his present sufferings basically sprung from his increasing stamina worries and subsequent loss of focus.......

he cannot stay focused and strong for weeks together any longer.......tiredness and breathing issues creep in when playing under sun especially.......that's when his game starts failing.......

it's true that he has lost some of the mechanics in his forehand and serve but the root cause for it is his worrying and ever increasing stamina problems.......he is not saying it out because he is already very misunderstood and may not want to sound like an excuse maker.......one can easily see that djokovic starts breathing heavily all of a sudden very often these days.......

alter ego
04-17-2010, 07:26 PM
it's true that he has lost some of the mechanics in his forehand and serve but the root cause for it is his worrying and ever increasing stamina problems.......he is not saying it out because he is already very misunderstood and may not want to sound like an excuse maker.......

Good thing your crystal ball is working so well otherwise we would have never known the real story. :retard:

one can easily see that djokovic starts breathing heavily all of a sudden very often these days.......

He is breathing heavilly because he has a cold. He has gotten it since the begining of the week.

ChinoRios4Ever
04-17-2010, 07:30 PM
He needs time to recover from Todd Martin whose coaching should carry a warning:

Warning: Todd Martin can seriously damage your tennis.

Funny thing is that i've read a long time ago in a tennis magazine an interview when Todd Martin helps the people to "improve your 2nd serve" :haha:

Start da Game
04-17-2010, 07:32 PM
Good thing your crystal ball is working so well otherwise we would have never known the real story. :retard:

He is breathing heavilly because he has a cold. He has gotten it since the begining of the week.

you will know it when djokovic says it one day........continue fooling yourself until then.......

Bobby
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM
In the beginning of his service motion, his drops his right hand very low before taking the raquet behind his back and launching into the serve. It actually looks quite akward. If you watch a clip from 2008 for example, he used to lift the raquet much higher before accelerating the racquet head speed.

samanosuke
04-17-2010, 08:20 PM
He lost the serve when he changed racket . The same thing happened to Ljubicic

pac0rro
04-17-2010, 08:28 PM
In the beginning of his service motion, his drops his right hand very low before taking the raquet behind his back and launching into the serve. It actually looks quite akward. If you watch a clip from 2008 for example, he used to lift the raquet much higher before accelerating the racquet head speed.

Yes, as you said, it seems that he recently has been -unintentionally- starting to drop his hand while serving. He knows the problem but it happens that he can't control it and he says that its affecting his whole game, his confidence on his game.

Persimmon
04-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Never should have changed racquet.

Guga_fan
04-17-2010, 11:26 PM
He lost the serve when he changed racket . The same thing happened to Ljubicic
I think he lost the forehand when he changed racket. His serve was working well at the beginning of 2009, but since then it's been horrible.

Kolya
04-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Technically weird, with that strange wrist movement he has.

coonster14
04-18-2010, 02:34 AM
it's all the HEAD's fault, before he changed racquets, his serve and forehand were very good, nowadays, his serve is WTA-ish and his forehand is a powderpuff. if nole's backhand stuffs up during a match, no chance he is winning, regardless who the opponent is.

Amber Spyglass
04-18-2010, 11:07 AM
there's no direct technical problem.......his present sufferings basically sprung from his increasing stamina worries and subsequent loss of focus.......

he cannot stay focused and strong for weeks together any longer.......tiredness and breathing issues creep in when playing under sun especially.......that's when his game starts failing.......

it's true that he has lost some of the mechanics in his forehand and serve but the root cause for it is his worrying and ever increasing stamina problems.......he is not saying it out because he is already very misunderstood and may not want to sound like an excuse maker.......one can easily see that djokovic starts breathing heavily all of a sudden very often these days.......

It said on ATP site that he has been suffering from allergies for 6 weeks now.I'm not surprised,he has been blowing his nose constantly at each changeover since and including Rotterdam where I first noticed it.If you have to clear your nose after each game then it must be blocked for large parts of the game so that is undoubtedly going to affect your ability to do the correct breathing through your nose during points(not helping, considering his breathing was already suspect before this).I think djokovic is so worried and uptight about his various problems atm that he does not have the neccessary calm to push through them.Also Djokovic hasn't beaten a top tenner this year.While Verdasco wasn't technically one yesterday he is as good as one and will be on monday,that's got to be affecting his psyche and I'm wondering if it wasn't on his mind before the match,he came out so nervous from the first point.He might get a little more confidence if he can break that duck soon.Like someone else said,this is a very important period for him but I'm not going to pass serious judgement until after RG

MacTheKnife
04-18-2010, 11:36 AM
I thought I read that he was adjusting his service motion due to back problems. Well the motion he's using now is a lot worse on the back.

latso
04-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Could some1 post a link from Nole's game with Verdasco?

i believe all his problems have been underlined in this particular match and i had the chance to watch him only against Nalbandian, where he looked perfectly ok

Amber Spyglass
04-18-2010, 11:46 AM
I thought I read that he was adjusting his service motion due to back problems. Well the motion he's using now is a lot worse on the back.

He is back to his original motion now this week,he's just not consistent enough with it on pressure points yet.His old(original) motion wasn't hurting his shoulder,it was just tired after the long season(that's what he said btw),so he developed a couple of quirks in it to subconciously take pressure off the shoulder.But that was ok,a bit of rest and he would be able to iron out those quirks when he came back,that is, if he even remembered them and didn't just go back to normal anyway.But oh no,in comes Todd F***ing Martin in the off-season determined to re-jig the whole thing and everything gets blown out of the water

Nole fan
04-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I hope Janire won't mind if I post here a comment she wrote in another thread in Nole's forum. I think this is the logical explanation to what is happening to Nole.

I know that everyone here in this thread is now dissapointed with the loss, but I just came in to share some relevant comments that Tomas Cabonell & Feliciano Lopez made in the spanish TV while they were broadasting the matches.
They were commenting on actual Noleīs serve motion, no one understanding why he changed it although this tournament he seems to have returned a bit to his natural shot.

Feli Lopez & Janko Tipsarevic share the same coach Josep Perlas, so Feli asked Janko if the serve change was because of something tactical, some sort of physical problem in the shoulder by the motion or whatever. Janko told him that it wasnīt a tactical question at all, itīs just that Nole started uncounsciously started to get "viced" his serve and this is affecting mentally a lot with the rest of his game, so heīs losing confidence.
In fact, on TV they broadcasted Noleīs serve on slow motion replay and tey commented that he leaves the elbow low and this makes him lose control over the tossed ball.

Dougie
04-18-2010, 02:42 PM
I hope Janire won't mind if I post here a comment she wrote in another thread in Nole's forum. I think this is the logical explanation to what is happening to Nole.

It really does seem like he drops his hand too low and behind. Then, when he should be dropping the racquet head and launch into the ball, he is also forced to pull his hand from way back using his elbow. It looks like there is a lot of wasted movement that wonīt benefit the serve itself, not to mention it all looks painful.

It would have been his coaches job to stop this uncounscious change as soon as it started creeping in, itīs always difficult, sometimes almost impossible, to change something as mechanically difficult movement as serve, once the wrong movement becomes too familiar. What is he paying his coach for, if he didnīt correct it straight away? Thatīs what coaches are for.

Mateya
04-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll quote my favourite eurosport comentator McMillan: "Djokovic serves his best, when he sticks his chest out...and reaches up high." :confused:
These are very delicate things we are talking about and of course they all matter on the end...will 1st serve be an ace (or service winner) or will it just fly an inch out? Will you have a 60% serves in or just 50%? And in tight matches this could pretty much decide the difference between W or L.
But I'm no expert for serve, technicaly worst part of my game :mad:

And Todd Martin will be happy if he'll get to coach some challenger mug from now on. :lol:

Nole fan
04-18-2010, 07:35 PM
Well another thing Nole said in his pressers is that before serving he's actually thinking about doing the serve motion right. When a player has to think ahead something as mechanical as the serve it's always going to mean big trouble. Overthinking a movement is the last thing a player needs when facing an opponent. I hope time, work and patience will restore his good old serve because right now it's painful to watch him. :o

duong
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
I had read that he had lost his movement because Todd Martin had tried to change it, and now some say he "accidentally" lost it :

what's the real reason ? :confused:

(some even speak about his racket but clearly his serve has be come a catastrophe very recently, not in the beginning of 2009 when he changed his racket)

Amber Spyglass
04-18-2010, 09:32 PM
I had read that he had lost his movement because Todd Martin had tried to change it, and now some say he "accidentally" lost it :

what's the real reason ? :confused:

(some even speak about his racket but clearly his serve has be come a catastrophe very recently, not in the beginning of 2009 when he changed his racket)

If you read his pressers you will see it was a mixture.At the WTF last year his shoulder was tired because he played 96 matches,so he developed a slight couple of hitches,subconciously to counteract the tiredness/pain-nothing major.Then in off season Martin demanded they change the whole motion and you get this shit.Now he has gone back to the original but it is hard to nail it completely straight away(since for the last couple of months he has had no balance or timing on his serve,thanks to Martin's motion).There were huge improvements in how the serve looked in regular points this week,but he still has to shake reverting to some bad habits under pressure,but overall not bad for his first week

Nole fan
04-18-2010, 11:14 PM
If you read his pressers you will see it was a mixture.At the WTF last year his shoulder was tired because he played 96 matches,so he developed a slight couple of hitches,subconciously to counteract the tiredness/pain-nothing major.Then in off season Martin demanded they change the whole motion and you get this shit.Now he has gone back to the original but it is hard to nail it completely straight away(since for the last couple of months he has had no balance or timing on his serve,thanks to Martin's motion).There were huge improvements in how the serve looked in regular points this week,but he still has to shake reverting to some bad habits under pressure,but overall not bad for his first week

Amber, always the voice of reason.+1 :)