Is Nadal playing it smart this clay court season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Nadal playing it smart this clay court season

cool bird1
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
I really hope Nadal plays it smart this clay court season and does not over play. Please tell me he is not down to play Barcelona agin this year

RedFury
04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
Seems like he wouldn't skip Barcelona if his life depended on it. It's his home club and he feels obliged. As for Madrid, six of one half a dozen of the other. As a Real Madrid fan and a proud Spaniard, it appears (to him anyway) that he has no alternative other than being a "traitor." And while loyalty is a great trait to have, it's not always rewarding.

In short, no, as scheduled, he certainly is not "playing it smart." However, here's hoping for a couple of quick exits, certainly one in Madrid and/or another one in Barcelona/Rome. Otherwise, hard to imagine another RG title this year.

robinpirate
04-16-2010, 11:29 PM
he isnt as young anymore, but he know that clay season is his best opportunity to rack up the points to try to be the #1. it's a dilemma for him, but I think he will play every tournament. I hope the opposition is better this year and somebody else than federer beat him on clay...one can dream

theseth1119
04-16-2010, 11:42 PM
Hello, Sodie beat him on clay last year at the FO remember, so it's not like only Rogie can beat him on clay.

CyBorg
04-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I'm not convinced that Nadal's clay court schedule is what was the problem last year. I can see why some people would think so.

The causal reasoning is simple. The end result is the loss to Soderling. The lead-up to that is four long tournaments.

But I'm not buying that it was the scheduling that hurt Nadal.

First of all, he had a whole week of rest before RG. And, oddly enough, he choose to spend it by playing exhibitions (why do this if you're hurt).

Secondly, why associate "being hurt" with "being tired"? Because one is not like the other. When a player overplays, he gets tired - not necessarily hurt. Getting hurt, however, is a different thing. One could get hurt by chance - a freak incident. Oftentimes, it has nothing to do with how much one plays.

Thirdly, there were reports that Nadal had some lower body issues all the way back in Rotterdam of 2009. Did he have these problems this year so far? I have not heard anything?

So why are we worried about his workload again this spring? He's going to have two full weeks of rest again - not to mention that masters events are shorter than ever, all have byes for top players and the number of matches played for a finalist is down from six to five.

Give me a break.

azinna
04-17-2010, 12:46 AM
^^Soon after RG, Nadal skipped Wimbledon and was out for a while. To the extent that we can tell, I'd say that's good enough proof that he was injured and not just tired.

It's fair to wonder if folks are placing too much emphasis on Nadal's packed clay season. Certainly, Nadal's style of play throughout the year, on various surfaces, contributed and will keep contributing to the sort of knee ailments he's cited as issues. But there's no question a packed clay season could aggravate or produce a recurrence of his injuries, which include tendinitis, from chronic overuse and not just freak accidents.

CyBorg
04-17-2010, 12:51 AM
^^Soon after RG, Nadal skipped Wimbledon and was out for a while. To the extent that we can tell from our computer and TV screens, I'd say that's good enough proof that he was injured and not just tired.

Well, facking duh he was injured. I didn't say he was tired.

The question is 'when' and 'how' the injury took place.

Arkulari
04-17-2010, 01:58 AM
Rafa retired against Murray at the AO and was complaining about his knee in the Roddick match in Miami, so I do think he's been having injury issues this year :unsure:

HKz
04-17-2010, 02:23 AM
Real answer: We don't know how this season will affect him. We are not his medical examiners nor are we his agents like 99% of Rafatards like to think so and contribute all his losses to injury.

As a spectator what he is doing is really careless by playing with a full schedule. I mean it seems like the main goal for him is to regain the number 1 spot by sheer points. Almost seems like gaining the spot is more important than the titles. I guess to him, it is worth it to just get that accomplished and have his body supposedly fail on him once more.

The thing that I really do not understand, is that he turns around and blames the ATP for his full schedule. Look at Federer, he barely plays yet he maintains a clear lead being number one. I don't see why he can't play less tournaments and just do his 100% best at each one.

guga2120
04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
I'm not convinced that Nadal's clay court schedule is what was the problem last year. I can see why some people would think so.

The causal reasoning is simple. The end result is the loss to Soderling. The lead-up to that is four long tournaments.

But I'm not buying that it was the scheduling that hurt Nadal.

First of all, he had a whole week of rest before RG. And, oddly enough, he choose to spend it by playing exhibitions (why do this if you're hurt).

Secondly, why associate "being hurt" with "being tired"? Because one is not like the other. When a player overplays, he gets tired - not necessarily hurt. Getting hurt, however, is a different thing. One could get hurt by chance - a freak incident. Oftentimes, it has nothing to do with how much one plays.

Thirdly, there were reports that Nadal had some lower body issues all the way back in Rotterdam of 2009. Did he have these problems this year so far? I have not heard anything?

So why are we worried about his workload again this spring? He's going to have two full weeks of rest again - not to mention that masters events are shorter than ever, all have byes for top players and the number of matches played for a finalist is down from six to five.

Give me a break.

What a dumbass post. This is a joke, yes?

He did pull out of Queens and Wimbledon though, b/c he does not care about the grass court season at all.

Macbrother
04-17-2010, 03:10 AM
What a dumbass post. This is a joke, yes?

He did pull out of Queens and Wimbledon though, b/c he does not care about the grass court season at all.

Way to completely miss the point. Read his post again, you might get it.

Topspin Forehand
04-17-2010, 03:12 AM
Nadal better skip Madrid. :mad:

Kolya
04-17-2010, 03:33 AM
Playing players like De Bakker and Berrer = Smartest move ever!

theseth1119
04-17-2010, 03:50 AM
De Bakker and Berrer are crap anyway. Ferrero is decent, but not great, same with Ferrer at best. Only Verdasco and Chokovic pose a threat to Rafa here. They're all just luky Rogie isn't here because he'd be winning Monte Carlo for the first time ever.

Swiss Mountain
04-17-2010, 04:01 AM
Nadal beated the older and tired Ferrero, big deal, just like Rome 2006 final when he beated an exhausted Federer (thank you Nalbandian) in the Rome final 2006 (fed played for 5 hours in 5 sets the day before; fed Djoko match in madrid 09 was shit compare to that one)

Swiss Mountain
04-17-2010, 04:03 AM
De Bakker and Berrer are crap anyway. Ferrero is decent, but not great, same with Ferrer at best. Only Verdasco and Chokovic pose a threat to Rafa here. They're all just luky Rogie isn't here because he'd be winning Monte Carlo for the first time ever.

Don't forget fed isn't here, if Nadal doesn't win this, he can retire forever.

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-17-2010, 04:05 AM
he gets a week rest before the french. He's the world number 3, if the world number 3 isn't fit enough to attend all the masters event like any number 3 should, then tennis is in a bad state.

paseo
04-17-2010, 04:35 AM
The thing that I really do not understand, is that he turns around and blames the ATP for his full schedule. Look at Federer, he barely plays yet he maintains a clear lead being number one. I don't see why he can't play less tournaments and just do his 100% best at each one.

He can't. Fed can win anywhere if he plays 100%. Nadal on the other hand, even giving 100% on hardcourts, is still beatable by a number of players. So, he plays a lot to get ranking points.

I don't think so.

I think Nadal should play a full schedule this clay season. Rack up all the points he can, and bring that confidence to Wimbledon. Cause come the hardcourt season, he'll be struggling to win tournaments again.

Topspin Forehand
04-17-2010, 04:49 AM
He can't. Fed can win anywhere if he plays 100%. Nadal on the other hand, even giving 100% on hardcourts, is still beatable by a number of players. So, he plays a lot to get ranking points.

I don't think so.

I think Nadal should play a full schedule this clay season. Rack up all the points he can, and bring that confidence to Wimbledon. Cause come the hardcourt season, he'll be struggling to win tournaments again.
That worked out great last year. :rolleyes: And Madrid doesn't suit Nadal much more than a Hardcourt tournament. That is the tournament to skip since it has the fastest conditions.

Havok
04-17-2010, 04:50 AM
he gets a week rest before the french. He's the world number 3, if the world number 3 isn't fit enough to attend all the masters event like any number 3 should, then tennis is in a bad state.
Not for anything, but the current world #1 will be playing only 2 of the 3 clay TMS events. I wouldn't be surprised if he only plays 1.:o

Rafa just needs to put his priorities in check. Playing MC is and always was a very smart move. Many tend to skip this event, so he breezes through this tournament almost every year for another TMS shield and 1K points to his rankings. I think he should just scrap Madrid and play Rome/Barcelona. He got screwed over now that Madrid changed from an indoor TMS event in the fall to a clay court event in the spring. Plus, everybody knows Rome is the best practice for RG anyways and one solid clay TMS with everybody in the draw is more than enough practice for Rafa, not like he needs much of it anyways because he's mastered the surface ages ago.:shrug:

Swiss Mountain
04-17-2010, 04:53 AM

I don't think so.

I don't know, I only know fed; he play all the clay masters plus estoril before, then moved on to the french open, Halle and Wimbledon. He did pretty well, last time he did all that he was 26.
Poor rafa!

paseo
04-17-2010, 04:56 AM
That worked out great last year. :rolleyes: And Madrid doesn't suit Nadal much more than a Hardcourt tournament. That is the tournament to skip since it has the fastest conditions.

This year is different.

kobulingam
04-17-2010, 06:08 AM
This year is different.

?y?

Topspin Forehand
04-17-2010, 06:42 AM
This year is different.
Knee tendinitis is not a fluke. If you overuse your body, it will break down. 4 tournaments in 5 weeks followed by 2 slams is the definition of abusing your body. Nadal could get a nice rest before RG. He can do his exhibition matches like he likes to do and being rested and ready to go for RG. That is only available if he skips Madrid.

prafull
04-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I can't see any problem with Nadal's schedule. He plays 3 tournaments in 3 weeks then gets one week off then play madrid and then again get one week off. I am pretty sure his practice sessions are more tiring than his clay court matches. He practices for like 2 and half hours at pretty high intensity and here he is only getting around 1 hour long matches. Shouldn't be a problem unless he is forced to play 3 or 4 3 setters leading upto the RG.

Roger FF
04-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Have you just put words "Nadal" and "smart" together?:eek: Oh my...

M4RC
04-17-2010, 10:44 AM
They're all just luky Rogie isn't here because he'd be winning Monte Carlo for the first time ever.

:haha:

I'd give Federer something like 8 games against Nadal in MC.

HarryMan
04-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Hopefully he learns to schedule himself better. After winning Monte Carlo, Barcelona this year he should either skip Rome or Madrid, and not play 4 tournaments in 5 weeks (unless he loses early in Rome, then he can play Madrid).

Priam
04-17-2010, 12:30 PM
He should avoid 2.5-4 hour matches til RG. Lose/tank if he has to.

BlueSwan
04-17-2010, 01:30 PM
Four matches into Monte Carlo and Nadal has hardly broken a sweat yet.

Aaric
04-17-2010, 02:01 PM
No he is not. He´s such an hypocritical, always complaining that the season is too long, and that he doesnt wanna play Madrid cause he needs to rest for the FO but then he plays a stupid ATP 500 :rolleyes: (also three weeks in a row)

Persimmon
04-17-2010, 02:16 PM
If Rafa plays Madrid:rolleyes: and after what happened last year I will believe he has mental problems and needs a shrink.:o He would have to be mentally insane to play every possible tournament before the FO. He is not 18/19 anymore. And his body can't handle him playing everything before the FO:wavey:

Priam
04-17-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a feeling he'll skip Madrid this year citing Knees/fatigue/teeth/altitude or whatnot.

delpiero7
04-17-2010, 03:06 PM
No reason why Nadal shouldn't play Madrid if he is feeling fit and healthy IMO. But if he does start to feel that he has some physical issues, he would be an idiot to play there.

As somebody pointed out earlier, these Masters are much easier than they were 3 or 4 years ago due to the introduction of the 1st round bye and no best of 5 set finals.

In 2007 Nadal played all the AMSs + Barca. He only lost one match (in the final of Hamburg to Fed) and then went on to wipe the floor with everyone at RG, dropping one set along the way. So he does have the capability to play a full schedule.

Matches such as the ones against De Bakker and Berrer, where he was off court within an hour rather than 90 minutes will only help him.

If we still have 64 man draws and best of 5 set finals, then cutting one of the events off his schedule would be better advised. But with the format of the events as they are, I think he should maintain a full clay court schedule this year.

prafull
04-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I have a feeling he'll skip Madrid this year citing Knees/fatigue/teeth/altitude or whatnot.

No he won't. Rome finishes 2nd May and there is 3 weeks gap between Rome and French open. Taking three weeks off before RG will leave him without any matchplay and that will be a big mistake.

Swiss Mountain
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I sense the excuses of knee injuries or whatever he invents will come at Rome or barcelona, just to prepare the defeat at the french.

A_Skywalker
04-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I sense the excuses of knee injuries or whatever he invents will come at Rome or barcelona, just to prepare the defeat at the french.

No defeat at RG this year, sorry for you.

Black Adam
04-17-2010, 10:52 PM
He's destroying all of them anyways so he risks nothing. It'll be like 2008 where he ***** everyone on the way to victory.

Persimmon
04-17-2010, 11:06 PM
He's destroying all of them anyways so he risks nothing. It'll be like 2008 where he ***** everyone on the way to victory.

If it's like 2008 then he shall lose r2 at Rome because of blisters :shrug:

Topspin Forehand
04-17-2010, 11:21 PM
No he won't. Rome finishes 2nd May and there is 3 weeks gap between Rome and French open. Taking three weeks off before RG will leave him without any matchplay and that will be a big mistake.
The only thing keeping Nadal from winning the French Open is his knees. He can always play exhibition matches for practice. He didn't need any preparation for Monte-Carlo as he is dominating here. The only big mistake he could make is playing all 4 clay tournaments before RG.

christallh24
04-18-2010, 12:21 AM
First of all, he had a whole week of rest before RG. And, oddly enough, he choose to spend it by playing exhibitions

Did he, really? I don't remember that.

Please tell me you joking?

They're all just luky Rogie isn't here because he'd be winning Monte Carlo for the first time ever.

Ah. Yes, lucky field.:rolleyes:

No he is not. He´s such an hypocritical, always complaining that the season is too long, and that he doesnt wanna play Madrid cause he needs to rest for the FO but then he plays a stupid ATP 500 :rolleyes: (also three weeks in a row)

If you knew anything about Rafa you'd know he is a very, very, very patriotic young man. These Spanish tournament means alot to him. He feels he owes it to his Spanish fans and his country. Smart, fuck no! It's admirable, but stupid.

In 2007 Nadal played all the AMSs + Barca. He only lost one match (in the final of Hamburg to Fed) and then went on to wipe the floor with everyone at RG, dropping one set along the way. So he does have the capability to play a full schedule.

Yes, but as some here have mentioned, he isn't a teenager anymore. I really thought he had learned from last year. Now, I'm afraid the next injury is going to be something that ends his career for good.:sad:

LeChuck
04-18-2010, 12:28 AM
Did he, really? I don't remember that.

He played in a super-set charity match against Dabul at the RG site a couple of days before his 1st round match at the tournament, which Dabul won 7-5, but that was the only exho he played during the last year's clay court season I think.

christallh24
04-18-2010, 12:33 AM
Oh, I hadn't known that. Thanks!