Which Running Forehand do you prefer, Federer or Sampras? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Which Running Forehand do you prefer, Federer or Sampras?

laurie-1
04-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I remember in one of the exhibitions between the two in 2007, Federer hit a running forehand down the line and Sampras joked, "that's my shot!"

With that in mind, I wonder which shot you prefer by which player? Do you prefer the Sampras Running Forehand or the Federer Running Forehand?

To help you decide, here's Sampras:

nP46aafP_EQ

peqzhoF2SjE

rF_cL1NbIKs

Here's Federer

at7-gKOYF-w&NR=1

W7mkObg22RI

9YUK23uZMRs

:wavey:

Roger FF
04-15-2010, 09:24 PM
Wait SetSampras comes and gives you the only right answer.:lol:

IMO Fed's forehand is better in any given aspect, but it takes you to be a tennis fan to understand that, so I'm certain the majority of MTF will fail this elementary test.:awww:

laurie-1
04-15-2010, 09:57 PM

IMO Fed's forehand is better in any given aspect, but it takes you to be a tennis fan to understand that, so I'm certain the majority of MTF will fail this elementary test.:awww:

You sound like a Politician....

Are you dressing up your opinion and selling it as a "fact"?

Smoke944
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM

Fedfan alt?

Anyways, while Roger is better than Pete in plenty of areas, this is not one of them. Pete has the greatest running forehand of all time.

Forehander
04-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Personally I would prefer Sampras's running forehand and Federer's non-running forehands. When it comes to running forehand we naturally think of reverse forehands, which requires much more muscle use on the technique and less kinetic. Sampras was an powerful man with INCREDIBLY powerful shoulders and forearm. His running forehand was not only lethal in the accuracy department, but also in power, something which Federer lacks in his reverse forehands on the run.

But my personal pick goes to Sebastien Grosjean though :) I'd pick him over both of them

moon language
04-15-2010, 10:04 PM
Sampras's.

GugaF1
04-15-2010, 10:19 PM
Sampras Forehand would be a more eficcient overall tool from 1980s-around 1998 I would Say.

Federer from late 90s until Today, maybe just starting to miss the edge, as I think the more extreme grips are starting to become more efficient this era.

Just as it happen when it started with the Continental grip, to the Eastern Grip (Sampras) to the mid Western grip (Federer) Full western Grip ( Nadal, Djokovic)

Gretness is a product in relation of each time. I think nowdays Sampras quite flat with little margin Forehand would not do very well. As Federer wouldn't very well in the 80s early 90s with the low balls and skiding flat balls. Which required less preparation and spin.

tennishero
04-15-2010, 10:24 PM
del potro > federer > sampras.

laurie-1
04-15-2010, 10:42 PM
Sampras Forehand would be a more eficcient overall tool from 1980s-around 1998 I would Say.

Federer from late 90s until Today, maybe just starting to miss the edge, as I think the more extreme grips are starting to become more efficient this era.

Just as it happen when it started with the Continental grip, to the Eastern Grip (Sampras) to the mid Western grip (Federer) Full western Grip ( Nadal, Djokovic)

Gretness is a product in relation of each time. I think nowdays Sampras quite flat with little margin Forehand would not do very well. As Federer wouldn't very well in the 80s early 90s with the low balls and skiding flat balls. Which required less preparation and spin.

Thats a common thing I hear. It's something I like to challenge.

These clips show Sampras' forehand (and backhand) had a lot more margin for error than people seem to think, in other words it seems to be an assumption thats just made. Look at the high net clerance on average - and when I talk topspin I don't mean moonballs - thats another misconception how people refer to topspin....

I invite you to look at the Muster clip again, its the highest part of the net, and look how high it clears the net at pace and still falls well inside the baseline. A study from around 2000 showed that Sampras on average put more topspin on his groundstrokes than Agassi and his most topspin shots was up there with the likes of Muster from that era.

Just one more thing I would like to add, Paul Annacone said once that Sampras generated tremendous topspin with his eastern grip in one of Paul's instructions in Tennis magazine.

http://tennis.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http://wings.avkids.com/Tennis/Project/usspin-04.html

BXacOtT0RBk

V9h0OXW479M

Lopez
04-15-2010, 10:50 PM
I think it's a common misconception that Federer uses a semiwestern grip... I think he uses an Eastern grip on both the forehand and backhand.

Anyways, just wait for the past era tards to come and flood this thread :p

CyBorg
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I think Sampras had a more consistently great forehand. Meaning that it always was his weapon, apart from the serve. And he perfected the running forehand, because he needed to compensate for the declining backhand.

Federer, at his peak, had a perfect forehand. But it seems not quite as good now.

Har-Tru
04-15-2010, 11:59 PM
Sampras.

tyruk14
04-16-2010, 12:51 AM
Federer's forehand is the better of the two overall; however, Pete has the best running forehand in the history of tennis. It's a hall-of-fame shot. Aside from his serve it was his marquee stroke.

Hell, I'm not even sure if Federer's running forehand is better than Lendl's.

-Valhalla-
04-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Both are aesthetically pleasing, but I prefer Sampras' technique by a small margin.

paseo
04-16-2010, 02:23 AM
Fed's.

brent-o
04-16-2010, 04:29 AM
While Sampras' was in fact lethal, I feel like Federer's is more versatile. He has the uncanny ability to dip it at his opponent's feet when he comes to the net. Sampras' was all about power.

crude oil
04-16-2010, 05:48 AM
for running fhs.

hardcourts - sampras

grass and clay - federer

dtl - federer

cc - sampras.

sampras was more explosive but also a lot less consistent. for every amazing winner, there were several home runs.

Roddickominator
04-16-2010, 06:02 AM
Federer's is better in reality...but he also has the advantage of better string technology helping him hit more spectacular shots.

Considering this, my vote goes to Pete. His was very close to being as great as Federer's with 90's strings.

General Suburbia
04-16-2010, 06:16 AM
Federer has the best all around forehand, but I prefer Sampras' running one. Such a lethal shot. One of the few shots that ISN'T overrated when talked about in MTF.

latso
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
The question put this way, Federer should have an edge.

If we talk about Running FH Down the line - small advantage for Sampras, mainly because of the Eastern grip and very strong forearm.

Running FH cross court - Sampras probably never did any and Roger is a mastr there.

Overall - Federer.

But down the line (and i think this is what the thread opener means), i believe Pete has an edge.

laurie-1
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM
The question put this way, Federer should have an edge.

If we talk about Running FH Down the line - small advantage for Sampras, mainly because of the Eastern grip and very strong forearm.

Running FH cross court - Sampras probably never did any and Roger is a mastr there.

Overall - Federer.

But down the line (and i think this is what the thread opener means), i believe Pete has an edge.

Ok - Sampras probably never did any Running Forehand crosscourts? Well I certainly see why forums illicit so much frustration when you read a statement like that, quite an extraordinary comment as that was what he was famous for.

laurie-1
04-16-2010, 10:21 AM
Sampras cross court forehands

Gv2w0RtOgKI

0e1l5ysv6bQ&feature=related

jbBnEAPIUDc

SetSampras
04-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Pete's for sure.. A ton of depth on the shot and the way he could pull it off while being as off balanced and hit it flat like a bullet as he was is unreal.. No one compares in the running FH side of things.. Roger can do more with his FH though.. Especially that inside out FH but Pete's the GOAT in the running FH category for sure

bokehlicious
04-16-2010, 12:48 PM
Pete's the GOAT in the running FH category for sure

At least you can brag that he's the GOAT in one category... :cool: :hug:

tennis2tennis
04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Fedfan alt?

Anyways, while Roger is better than Pete in plenty of areas, this is not one of them. Pete has the greatest running forehand of all time.

any stats to prove that theory?

stebs
04-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I probably take Sampras here. He had the massive serve and the next most talked about and quality facet of his game was the running FH. Federer has a great one as well but Sampras in a league of his own. He was able to camp out on the BH side hitting inside out relying on the fact that when the opponent hit the BH DTL into the space, Sampras had the quality to take charge of the rally from the running FH. Saw that pattern of play from Sampras so many times in the 90's.

Action Jackson
04-16-2010, 01:18 PM
Federer's running forehand is better on clay, but overall I'd give it to the monobrow Sampras in this category.

Spirit_fire
04-16-2010, 01:33 PM
I think Sampras had a superior running forehand but Federer has the better forehand overall.

MisterQ
04-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Federer's forehand is the better of the two overall; however, Pete has the best running forehand in the history of tennis. It's a hall-of-fame shot. Aside from his serve it was his marquee stroke.

Hell, I'm not even sure if Federer's running forehand is better than Lendl's.

I probably take Sampras here. He had the massive serve and the next most talked about and quality facet of his game was the running FH.

A bit of a tangent... but I would add the overhead (particularly the leaping variety) to the list of Sampras' signature shots, along with the serve & running forehand.

I would take Sampras' running forehand over Federer's -- a bit more power and penetration -- but of course both are top-notch.

Rafter_forever
04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Federer.

Federer backhand and forehand
Sampras serve and volley

Kolya
04-16-2010, 01:43 PM
In all honesty, I've always admired Karol Kucera's running forehand.

timafi
04-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Federer's forehand has landed him to ALL 4 grand slam FINALS not once but THREE times and that same forehand has won him ALL 4 grand slams so Federer's forehand>>> Pete's

MacTheKnife
04-16-2010, 01:59 PM
Sampras had better running FH and it's not close.

laurie-1
04-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Federer's forehand has landed him to ALL 4 grand slam FINALS not once but THREE times and that same forehand has won him ALL 4 grand slams so Federer's forehand>>> Pete's

I asked which Running Forehand you prefer, not which forehand is better - and I'm not interested in that because opinions differ, I'm interested in what people prefer in the Running Forehand category.

rocketassist
04-16-2010, 02:56 PM

Oh my fucking word :spit: :haha:

Fed Fan
04-16-2010, 03:36 PM
When playing his best, Federer's running forehand is a little more versatile and a little less error prone than Sampras'. But when you factor in modern string technology and that Sampras covered his backhand much more than Federer, you'd have to say the former. Sampras' running forehand was a thing of beauty.

Aaric
04-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Fed´s

nanoman
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Sampras: harder, flatter and more explosive, while using old-tech strings.

Actually, Sampras' only shot that was as good as the hype wants you to believe.

Haelfix
04-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Both great, but definitely edge Sampras. It stayed awesome throughout his career, whereas Federer's runner was only really good from 04-07 and then sporadically throughout the rest of his career.

I rarely saw Pete miss that shot, if he was in any sort of position at all to get a crack at it. Just a little more power ultimately.

Federer is better on a full hail mary stretch though, b/c he can hit the squash shot better than anyone ever has.

Persimmon
04-16-2010, 05:21 PM
:yeah:Fed's

prafull
04-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Sampras.

Federer doesn't even have a running forehand. He is at his best when he gets plenty of time to hit his forehand. He is really good when he gets the ball in centre of court coz he can hit winners to both sides of the court from there (especially the inside out one is without any comparisons). Most guys who beat him push him towards his backhand side and then get the point by playing a wide ball to his forehand which is either a clean winner or 90% of times results in a misshit.

Ichiban1920
04-16-2010, 05:45 PM

You have the audacity to call other people biased when you spew out absolutely ridiculously Argentinian Del Mugro fanboy garbage?

Del Mugro's forehand better than Federer's AND Sampras?

You are such a fucking clown, it is absolutely amazing how fucking stupid you are.

ZakMcCrack
04-16-2010, 07:09 PM
Sampras.

Federer doesn't even have a running forehand. He is at his best when he gets plenty of time to hit his forehand. He is really good when he gets the ball in centre of court coz he can hit winners to both sides of the court from there (especially the inside out one is without any comparisons)

Holy moly? What is this here - a day nursery for artards?! At least you know how to spell Federer correctly...but I honestly doubt you really know who he is.

silverarrows
04-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Fed

brent-o
04-16-2010, 11:36 PM
Sampras.

Federer doesn't even have a running forehand. He is at his best when he gets plenty of time to hit his forehand. He is really good when he gets the ball in centre of court coz he can hit winners to both sides of the court from there (especially the inside out one is without any comparisons). Most guys who beat him push him towards his backhand side and then get the point by playing a wide ball to his forehand which is either a clean winner or 90% of times results in a misshit.

Clearly you forget Federer at his best. All of what you say is true of the Federer of today, but at his peak his running forehand (well forehand in general) was consisently lethal no matter if he was stretched out wide or punishing a mid-court one.

latso
04-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Ok - Sampras probably never did any Running Forehand crosscourts? Well I certainly see why forums illicit so much frustration when you read a statement like that, quite an extraordinary comment as that was what he was famous for.
I can understand you're frustrated...i mean all this weather and stuff..:rolleyes:

Though not being able to read between the lines is your own problem.

Any pro player has made any shots possible in tennis.

For every Sampras' running cross court FH, Federer has made 10.

It's quite simple to get, but i guess not for everyone :rolleyes:

Start da Game
04-18-2010, 12:12 PM
to win the point, i prefer pete's........to lose the point, fed's will do.......

laurie-1
04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
I can understand you're frustrated...i mean all this weather and stuff..:rolleyes:

Though not being able to read between the lines is your own problem.

Any pro player has made any shots possible in tennis.

For every Sampras' running cross court FH, Federer has made 10.

It's quite simple to get, but i guess not for everyone :rolleyes:

In all honesty some comments by Federer fans border on fanaticism. They really only see what their man does, no objectivity often in their discussions or arguments.

latso
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM
In all honesty some comments by Federer fans border on fanaticism. They really only see what their man does, no objectivity often in their discussions or arguments.
I think now that you have your attention on reading between the lines, you missed the lines themselves...

Read carefuly my previous post, you should notice that i vote for Pete's DTL running FH, which is most probably the idea of the thread.

Having in mind that most Fed fans over 20 years of age should be converted Sampras fans, there is no reason for one to be biased commenting a single tchnical side of the guys.

I've never been biased commenting Fed, more likely i'd overestimate Verdasco's qualities in my comments than Roger's. ;)

BlueSwan
04-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I'm a massive Federer fan and Federers forehand was certainly better than Sampras forehand overall, but Sampras had the best running forehand in the history of the game. Unreal that Federer is leading this poll.

habibko
04-18-2010, 12:57 PM
all aspects of Federer's forehand are better than Sampras except the running forehand, I still prefer Fed's running forehand because of his beautiful technique and footwork.

laurie-1
04-18-2010, 03:03 PM
I think now that you have your attention on reading between the lines, you missed the lines themselves...

Read carefuly my previous post, you should notice that i vote for Pete's DTL running FH, which is most probably the idea of the thread.

Having in mind that most Fed fans over 20 years of age should be converted Sampras fans, there is no reason for one to be biased commenting a single tchnical side of the guys.

I've never been biased commenting Fed, more likely i'd overestimate Verdasco's qualities in my comments than Roger's. ;)

Ok fair enough :yeah:.

By the way, the down the line forehand wasn't my only idea for the poll - but I realised there seems to be more down the line forehands on youtube than crosscourt - probably because down the line forehands can look more spectacular - higher part of the net so requires more topspin or sidespin to clear the net and bring it in.

Here's a fun one against Santoro

ShVJFn-q-48

Dougie
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
A bit off topic, but along with his phenomenal running forehand, that clip also shows his biggest weakness, take a look that easy backhand he hits well inside the service line, setting up Santoro´s attack to the net. That´s just horrible. Yes, his ruunning forehand was great, but it needed to be, because his backhand got him in deep trouble more often than not.