MC R2: Top Seed Djokovic Def Serra 6-2 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

MC R2: Top Seed Djokovic Def Serra 6-2 6-3

.-Federers_Mate-.
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Sluggish in parts, such as early in the 2nd and late in the third. Serve was still poor. Result was never in doubt though.He really needs to improve if hes going to defend his points from last year.

Ad Wim
04-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Pretty good first set, mediocre second. Serra was playing well for a few games though. Indeed, he has to improve to beat Wawrinka.

Roamed
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM
Broken to love in second with two double faults in a row :p

adam10
04-14-2010, 11:56 AM
He played like a shit.

james82
04-14-2010, 11:58 AM
He played like a shit.

yep pretty much,first 4 games he was good though and he finished ok
wawrinka is a much bigger step up and he did well at this tourney last year even beating fed i think?

Noleta
04-14-2010, 12:02 PM
First matches are always tricky...Serra was awful,Nole pretty average,still needs time to get back to his old serve:)

Wawa has a big chance tomorrow.

rubbERR
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
djokovic has always been useless server, where this illusion coming that he owns good serve?

Vokas
04-14-2010, 12:07 PM
Not so bad for the first match. Played enough to win. Some devasting shots in first set...

Start da Game
04-14-2010, 12:12 PM
he will slowly play himself into form on clay.......clay is the right surface for djokovic to get back into zone.......

Noleta
04-14-2010, 12:18 PM
djokovic has always been useless server, where this illusion coming that he owns good serve?

He had a very sold serve my friend,don't know what you're on about:wavey:

aeronatasha
04-14-2010, 12:36 PM

:lol: And this is how I know I'm back at MTF.

Missed this place, truly did.

zcess81
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM

:help:

You're joking, right?

How do you think he won a gs and all those masters when he was at his best? groundstrokes, sure...but back in 2007/2008 without his serve there is NO WAY he would have won gs and all those masters. No freakin' way. Every time he was in trouble his 1st/2nd serve got him out of trouble...it was scary at times. On top of my head I remember he was 0:40 in the 3rd set against Fish in IW final and he just served 3 aces...and he used to do this all the time. Break point...his 1st/2nd serve gets him out of trouble.

Not only did he have a solid serve, he was one of the top servers. His serve was never fast but he could hit it accurately and he could hit it anywhere. Watch some of his past wins against Fed/Nadal on hard courts (2007/2008) and then tell me he never had a good serve.

Aaric
04-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Well done Nole, but please lose to Stan now :p

zcess81
04-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Well done Nole, but please lose to Stan now :p

Stan fears Novak/his game...even when he looks like winning he loses. Their H2H is 7-2 and the last time Stan beat him was way back in 2006...so Novak is heavy favourite imo, regardles of his bad form on hard courts. This is clay and I believe that it is on clay that Novak will find his best form. I'm not saying IN THIS tournament but during the whole clay season/RG.

FlameOn
04-14-2010, 01:46 PM
I love this man. :hearts:

I could never stop supporting him.

ZaZoo)
04-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Bravo Nole carino!

samanosuke
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM
Wawa has a big chance tomorrow.

Old story with Wawa...

Wawa doesn't have mental capability to beat top players . In every match he is close but never on the top of his opponent

Steelq
04-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Are you serious? http://wethearmed.com/Smileys/default/facepalm.gif

Johnny Groove
04-14-2010, 03:57 PM
:help:

You're joking, right?

How do you think he won a gs and all those masters when he was at his best? groundstrokes, sure...but back in 2007/2008 without his serve there is NO WAY he would have won gs and all those masters. No freakin' way. Every time he was in trouble his 1st/2nd serve got him out of trouble...it was scary at times. On top of my head I remember he was 0:40 in the 3rd set against Fish in IW final and he just served 3 aces...and he used to do this all the time. Break point...his 1st/2nd serve gets him out of trouble.

Not only did he have a solid serve, he was one of the top servers. His serve was never fast but he could hit it accurately and he could hit it anywhere. Watch some of his past wins against Fed/Nadal on hard courts (2007/2008) and then tell me he never had a good serve.

Blah blah blah.

His serve sucks now. WTA quality. He can get away with it on clay, though. Doubt he'll lose to Rochus again. At least until he plays a returner with the balls to step in and crush the 2nd ball.

FaceyFacem
04-14-2010, 05:57 PM
maybe i was groggy watching at 7am, but i was encouraged by novak's game today, i felt like he had a bit more sting on his groundstrokes and serra had to play very well to keep it even this close...

i'm not saying he's playing like a #2, but it's leaps and bounds better than what i saw in dubai and IW (didn't see the miami match...)

zcess81
04-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Blah blah blah.

His serve sucks now. WTA quality. He can get away with it on clay, though. Doubt he'll lose to Rochus again. At least until he plays a returner with the balls to step in and crush the 2nd ball.

Here is a helpful advice for you...before replying to any post you should know what it is about. I was not talking about his CURRENT serve. I was replying to another poster claiming that his serve ALWAYS sucked. He had top quality serve and now it's Nadal-like.

tektonac
04-14-2010, 07:10 PM

watch Montreal 2007 vs Roger, USO finals 2007, AO 2008, IW 2008, etc ...

out_here_grindin
04-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Good sign if you play poorly and win 6-2 6-3

Vida
04-14-2010, 08:12 PM
we love you king nole, and we want to build you a monument downtown :bowdown:

batavlada
04-14-2010, 08:36 PM
we love you king nole, and we want to build you a monument downtown :bowdown:

Novak :bowdown:

Vida :bowdown:

Farenhajt
04-14-2010, 08:47 PM
Really refreshing to have seen big portions of good ol' Novak coming back through.

The serve will (re)click into place soon enough.

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-15-2010, 03:03 AM
SPARTAN final on its way

RAFA vs NOLE - mens tennis returns

no more pansy finals like Federer and Murray finals

Mimi
04-15-2010, 03:08 AM
SPARTAN final on its way

:bigwave: long time no see

coonster14
04-15-2010, 03:18 AM
keep going Nole, I want Rafa/Nole final :woohoo:

christallh24
04-15-2010, 05:21 AM
Higher Power willing!:rocker2:

Good going, champ! Kick Wawa back to Suise!

foul_dwimmerlaik
04-15-2010, 07:12 AM
Good sign if you play poorly and win 6-2 6-3
Djokovic wasn't playing poorly at all. Uneven and with some questionable shot selection at times, but oodles better than he had since the season started, imo.

FlameOn
04-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Djokovic wasn't playing poorly at all. Uneven and with some questionable shot selection at times, but oodles better than he had since the season started, imo.
Agreed, especially the first set which apart from one game where he got broken after saving like 6bps. There was some really solid play.

zcess81
04-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Very solid performance from Novak yesterday. Sure, at times it was Novak Martin but mostly it was Novak Vajda. This was probably his best performance since AO 2010. Nothing amazing but I'm sure he'll improve. I've always felt that he needed clay season as much as Nadal to get confidence he needs. It might not happen here in Monte Carlo but I really believe that after the entire clay court season we'll see old Novak back. Just a feeling.

PS- I want Novak-Nadal final! Those two almost always produce a classice on every surface (except maybe on hard courts where it's been a bit one sided lately).

christallh24
04-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I really believe that after the entire clay court season we'll see old Novak back. Just a feeling.

That would be lovely! I want my old, confident, and cocky Nole back. But Rafa is the one that needs this tournament more.

PS- I want Novak-Nadal final! Those two almost always produce a classice on every surface

Their clay finals last year were awesome. I don't want to see it again because they mutually destroyed each other before RG. My dream is a N-N RG final.

Oh, and for Rafa and Nole to play doubles.

bokehlicious
04-15-2010, 09:18 AM
Noletard & Rafatard United... How touching :rolleyes: :zzz:

zcess81
04-15-2010, 09:38 AM
That would be lovely! I want my old, confident, and cocky Nole back. But Rafa is the one that needs this tournament more.

Their clay finals last year were awesome. I don't want to see it again because they mutually destroyed each other before RG. My dream is a N-N RG final.

Oh, and for Rafa and Nole to play doubles.

Agreed. That Madrid semi was turning point for both. Rafa destroyed physically (knees/whatever)...becuse of that lost to Fed in the finals, Sod in RG etc. Novak destroyed mentally and has been out of form since. I have a feeling had Novak won that match in Madrid last year, both him and Nadal would have had much better results in 2009/2010.

christallh24
04-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Noletard & Rafatard United... How touching :rolleyes: :zzz:

Ain't it?! :rolleyes::p

I have a feeling had Novak won that match in Madrid last year, both him and Nadal would have had much better results in 2009/2010.

For Nole it might have, I don't think for Rafa it would've. He wasn't playing well even before the clay season last year.

Start da Game
04-15-2010, 11:22 AM
SPARTAN final on its way

three cheers for that.......

Vida
04-15-2010, 12:04 PM
worse that can happen is that those two kill each other over and over again for some dancing ballet dancer to waltz in for the french.

bokehlicious
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
worse that can happen is that those two kill each other over and over again for some dancing ballet dancer to waltz in for the french.

:awww: :sad:

:lol: :D

born_on_clay
04-15-2010, 12:30 PM
get your confidence back champ !

Start da Game
04-15-2010, 01:51 PM

that's true too......it should be a straight sets outcome either way......nadal will be rigid as usual, it all depends on djokovic to not let the damage happen again......

ZakMcCrack
04-15-2010, 03:35 PM
that's true too......it should be a straight sets outcome either way......nadal will be rigid as usual, it all depends on djokovic to not let the damage happen again......

You guys are hilarious - on the one hand you ask for martial, "spartan" tennis and on the other hand you get the jitters because of this very "bones 'n joints abrasive style"...why not play for a draw after one set each?! tztz....

christallh24
04-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Yup. It's a delicate balance.

Start da Game
04-15-2010, 05:46 PM
You guys are hilarious - on the one hand you ask for martial, "spartan" tennis and on the other hand you get the jitters because of this very "bones 'n joints abrasive style"...why not play for a draw after one set each?! tztz....

it won't be a problem when nadal and djokovic are not dumped in the same half all the time and that fragile swiss who escapes the spartans by playing some tiny event in estoril, is not granted clown draws all the time.......

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-16-2010, 01:57 AM
it won't be a problem when nadal and djokovic are not dumped in the same half all the time and that fragile swiss who escapes the spartans by playing some tiny event in estoril, is not granted clown draws all the time.......

Hopefully the ballet dancer doesnt get lucky and avoid Nole and Rafa at RG.

Lets see if the weakling can win a real RG when its not handed to him.

Rafa = Fed Killa
04-16-2010, 01:58 AM

True that would be a disgrace if they beat each other up before RG and some undeserving clown wins RG like last year

christallh24
04-16-2010, 08:23 AM
I wouldn't say Roger was undeserving of it. I would say he shouldn't be respected for it. Truth is he had to beat a flucky first time slam appearer, and not the man he's got a 2-5 slam record against.

ZakMcCrack
04-16-2010, 10:18 AM

I don't really understand how or why my comment motivated you to bring up Federer yet again, since I wasn't refering to him at all...:scratch:
Besides, I guess Federer just wants to pace himself with regard to the primary object which unquestionably has to be RG...something which your beloved Rafa may hopefully learn some day, as would be desirable because I acknowledge his greatness.