Cilic - the next Safin? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cilic - the next Safin?

cloudeleven
04-13-2010, 10:47 PM
To me, Cilic reminds me of a young Safin (except no Grand Slam yet). Tall, lanky, top 10 at a young age (youngest player in the top 100 I believe), seems somewhat intense on the court. He seems like he will win at least a couple of Grand Slams. Hopefully he would be more consistent than Safin though.

r2473
04-13-2010, 10:51 PM
How many chicks has Cilic slept with?

Johnny_Bravo
04-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Ernests Gulbis is new Marat Safin

Forehander
04-13-2010, 11:14 PM
How many chicks has Cilic slept with?

:rolls:

Forehander
04-13-2010, 11:17 PM

Other than basic fundamental tennis skills there are absolute 0 similarities between the two.

EDIT:
And in terms of tennis results, at the age of 20 Safin already won his first grand slam. What does Gulbis have? lol

Johnny_Bravo
04-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Other than basic fundamental tennis skills there are absolute 0 similarities between the two.

what similarities are you looking for other than tennis skills?

Forehander
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
what similarities are you looking for other than tennis skills?

By basic fundamental tennis skills I mean basic forehand, backhand, volley etc... anything even a primary school kid who is being trained in tennis can do.

What I am looking for or what we should be looking for are physical, stroke techniques, serve techniques, volley techniques, footwork, personality, tennis results to date etc... similarities.

tealeaves
04-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Cilic is a copycat

DJ Soup
04-13-2010, 11:48 PM
Delpo looks more like Safin than Cilic. Except he has a stronger mental strength.

DualMedia
04-14-2010, 12:27 AM
marin cilic is not safin. no no no, marin is too sweet to be safin. Delpo is safin.

Hewitt =Legend
04-14-2010, 12:30 AM
To me, Cilic reminds me of a young Safin (except no Grand Slam yet). Tall, lanky, top 10 at a young age (youngest player in the top 100 I believe), seems somewhat intense on the court. He seems like he will win at least a couple of Grand Slams. Hopefully he would be more consistent than Safin though.

Dolgopolov is the youngest.

Nobody is the next anybody, how many threads have there been on this lately.

robinpirate
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM
none of them have half of the charisma of the russian. nor their games are as exciting or varied
for me, nole maybe a better example. although the clownish behavior is extreme on his case, marat also liked to do silly things on court and be the centre of attention. they're both huge hitters and good on every surface with a nice variety, and they seem to be as equally inconsistent, more or less

andy neyer
04-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Delpo looks more like Safin than Cilic. Except he has a stronger mental strength.

True but then again the reasons Marat managed to be so popular are:

1- His good looks (this is by far the most important)
2- His rather crazy personality on the court
3- He scored a lot of chicks

Getting to number 1 and the 2 GS he won aren't that important considering the above.... :)

DJ Soup
04-14-2010, 12:49 AM
True but then again the reasons Marat managed to be so popular are:

1- His good looks (this is by far the most important)
2- His rather crazy personality on the court
3- He scored a lot of chicks

Getting to number 1 and the 2 GS he won aren't that important considering the above.... :)

My criteria is gamewise
+
winning first slam young and against the GOAT at the time.

andy neyer
04-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Gamewise I agree... I think Delpo will achieve more than Safin because of his bigger mental strength.

SetSampras
04-14-2010, 12:58 AM
The next underperforming flop? Why would he want to be that?

andy neyer
04-14-2010, 01:02 AM
The next underperforming flop? Why would he want to be that?

Underperfomance from Safin and everything, I think Cilic will be lucky to achieve half as much as Marat did.

DelPo is a different case, though. I don't like his game too much but I expect him to surpass Safin's achievements.

SetSampras
04-14-2010, 02:06 AM
Underperfomance from Safin and everything, I think Cilic will be lucky to achieve half as much as Marat did.

DelPo is a different case, though. I don't like his game too much but I expect him to surpass Safin's achievements.

Del Potro will probably be the new dominant player after Nadal and Federer.. That is if he stays healthy. Definitely will surpass Marat. Hell he doesnt need a whole lot to surpass Safin.. Another 2 slams should do

Jimnik
04-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Delpo to win multiple slams and dominate the game? People said exactly the same of Safin after USO 2000.

As for Cilic, I could see him winning a slam or two.

DJ Soup
04-14-2010, 02:25 AM
Delpo to win multiple slams and dominate the game? People said exactly the same of Safin after USO 2000.

Safin = racquet breaking machine
Delpo = never breaks a racquet

pica_pica
04-14-2010, 05:19 AM
Can't find any associations between the two :shrug:

leng jai
04-14-2010, 07:23 AM
They both play tennis. Borderline twins if you ask me.

MariaV
04-14-2010, 07:47 AM

Nice avatar you have. :wavey:

Yeah, how wrong were Pete & Co back then. :o :lol: :awww:

ad-out
04-14-2010, 03:01 PM

What I am looking for or what we should be looking for are physical, stroke techniques, serve techniques, volley techniques, footwork, personality, tennis results to date etc... similarities.

Actually I think Gulbis and Safin play a similar style of tennis - aggressive and hard hitting with huge serves. Both are a bit reckless on court as well. As far as the rest, their personalities are similar, too. Questionable mentality on court, ruled by emotions, racquet breaking, etc. Plus off court they share the same dry humor and wit. Hell they even have the same hairstyle! Erno seems to draw the girls, too.. (although he has some catching up to do in this dept. :devil:)

Start da Game
04-14-2010, 03:06 PM

as of now, far from being the next safin.......i still doubt whether he has the mental toughness to produce his best tennis when it really counts.......safin did in his early career.......

rocketassist
04-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Neither Cilic or Del Potro are anything like Safin, nor are they even 1% as talented.

Start da Game
04-14-2010, 03:15 PM
Neither Cilic or Del Potro are anything like Safin, nor are they even 1% as talented.

i think you somehow misread del potro's game.......i don't know if you have disliking for the guy due to other reasons like his occasional arrogance but why do you think his game is bad?

agreed that he is still a mug at the net but his lanky personality doesn't allow him to be agile in the forecourt.......otherwise he is an excellent baseliner for his size and that forehand is undefendable when it's on.......overall as a player, a 1000 times better than serving machines like isner, querry.......

samanosuke
04-14-2010, 04:08 PM
You can't find more opposite players then these two

rocketassist
04-14-2010, 05:07 PM
i think you somehow misread del potro's game.......i don't know if you have disliking for the guy due to other reasons like his occasional arrogance but why do you think his game is bad?

agreed that he is still a mug at the net but his lanky personality doesn't allow him to be agile in the forecourt.......otherwise he is an excellent baseliner for his size and that forehand is undefendable when it's on.......overall as a player, a 1000 times better than serving machines like isner, querry.......

I don't dislike Del Potro's personality, but his game is pretty ordinary IMO and in any other period of tennis he wouldn't be a threat for any GS, but he's taken his chance.

I remember when he broke through initially people said he didn't quite have the overall game to be any higher than late top 10, but the quality's been so poor he's managed to go even higher than that, and win a bloody slam :eek:

Cilic is more talented than him, but neither have the ability of a Safin- he was naturally talented, a supreme shotmaker off the backhand side and possessed some of the most natural court feel of any player since the end of the wooden racket era.

Persimmon
04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Maybe Cilic will win the USO this year.

Ichiban1920
04-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Safin is far more talented than these two mugs will ever be in a lifetime. There is no comparisons.

ad-out
04-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm so glad to see all this Safin love in here. :D

DJ Soup
04-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Safin is far more talented than these two mugs will ever be in a lifetime. There is no comparisons.

Thankfully talent is not even 50% what you need to be a champion in tennis.

NicoMedellin
04-14-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm agree Safin is a lot more talented than Cilic...and sexier too;)

The Oracle
06-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Sexiness: Safin
Hype: Safin
Tennis: Safin

I say he is more like..hmm...James Blake...

alfonsojose
06-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Is Cilic bisexual :drool: ?

Persimmon
06-21-2010, 06:43 PM
:spit:

born_on_clay
06-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Safin was a devil himself on court
Cilic is to calm to be compared with the Russian

alfonsojose
06-08-2014, 04:00 PM