Rafa's Knees [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa's Knees

l_mac
04-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm opening this thread so wehave a place to speculate/panic about Rafa's physical condition. :sobbing:

Also any thread I see on GM about Rafa's knees I will ask the mods to move here where it is safe :armed:

Latest news: knee was causing him discomfort in Miami, made him have a fit at a changeover. Doesn't want to talk about it now.

Latest speculation and rumours: a few people noticed a small wound on his knee in Miami. Some people (me) feared it was from some sort of injection. There was a very unconfirmed rumour that Rafa injured himself vs Ferrer and then had an injection to let him play Tsonga.

Rafa had a plaster on his left knee on Saturday practise.

Rafa is not going to defend Monte Carlo :bigcry:

acionescu
04-13-2010, 01:55 PM
Nando said somewhere(Marca? As? El Mundo? :scratch:) that he was not well at all in Miami :crying2:

l_mac
04-13-2010, 02:04 PM
Nando said somewhere(Marca? As? El Mundo? :scratch:) that he was not well at all in Miami :crying2:

Yes, from the teeth :tears:

star
04-13-2010, 02:11 PM
I don't want to talk about the knees or the teeth or the hair.

:crying2:

Foxy
04-13-2010, 04:48 PM
As far as I understood from Rafa's words he arrives at 2010 clay season feeling better physically compared to last year start of clay season. Not sure if we can buy his words now.

Metis
04-13-2010, 04:59 PM
:scared: :unsure:

born_on_clay
04-13-2010, 05:00 PM
It's all a result of Rafa training so hard...

-Evita-
04-13-2010, 08:40 PM
So what's the status of his teeth now? Is he taking pain medication?

shawshank
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm sure that Rafa is saying diferent things that are in fact happening. He is so modest that he hates to admit that he is/was injured :( I don't believe that we could somehow know his condition right now...

l_mac
04-14-2010, 08:47 AM
So what's the status of his teeth now? Is he taking pain medication?

Verdasco said he is on antibiotics and he is wearing a mouthguard.

(Saw a gross pic of him spitting it out at practise on vb yesterday)

Naina
04-15-2010, 08:40 AM
Verdasco said he is on antibiotics and he is wearing a mouthguard.

(Saw a gross pic of him spitting it out at practise on vb yesterday)
Ouch :sad: Since when has Nando become Rafa's spokesperson:confused: And why is the dumb media asking Nando questions about Rafa? :rolleyes:

l_mac
04-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Spanish TV is saying Rafa might skip Barcelona because of his knees.

There's also some talk that he played all through MC with pain killing injections :retard:

-Evita-
04-18-2010, 08:52 PM
If he skips Barcelona then we'll know the problem is really serious, otherwise he wouldn't do it :sobbing: But no matter what, I'm so glad he got the MC title, he really needed it for his confidence.

But I don't get it. He said in the pressers that he's feeling much better than he was this time last year so I hope it's just the TV people exaggerating :unsure:

l_mac
04-18-2010, 08:55 PM
If he skips Barcelona then we'll know the problem is really serious, otherwise he wouldn't do it :sobbing: But no matter what, I'm so glad he got the MC title, he really needed it for his confidence.

But I don't get it. He said in the pressers that he's feeling much better than he was this time last year so I hope it's just the TV people exaggerating :unsure:

Yeah, well, he said last year he was fine. So I don't listen to what Rafa says in pressers.

gorgo1986
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM

:eek::crying2::hysteric::rain: Now I am in a panic, I guess all we can do is hope for the best and just wait.

l_mac
04-18-2010, 09:02 PM
:hug: This is just a thread to put the worst of the speculation/rumours in.

Not every fan wants to read it, and it is not for GM.

gorgo1986
04-18-2010, 09:06 PM
:hug: This is just a thread to put the worst of the speculation/rumours in.

Not every fan wants to read it, and it is not for GM.

Yeah I can see why! Thanks for this thread and for the update.

shawshank
04-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Rafa will have medical tests on his knees tomorrow in Barcelona to decide wheather to play or not!

MariaV
04-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Rafa will have medical tests on his knees tomorrow in Barcelona to decide wheather to play or not!

I bet the stubborn Rafa will want so much to do another 6-peat in Barcelona. :o

Guillermo Garcia-López would be the first opponent.

Har-Tru
04-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Spanish TV is saying Rafa might skip Barcelona because of his knees.

There's also some talk that he played all through MC with pain killing injections :retard:

Marca says he did: http://www.marca.com/2010/04/19/tenis/1271678753.html

Just letting you know.

Castafiore
04-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Benito denied those Marca reports, though.

From El Mundo:
El torneo que arranca hoy en el Real Club de Tenis de Barcelona, el Barcelona Open BancSabadell, el Godó de toda la vida, sería el primer descartado muy a su pesar. Su responsable de comunicación, Benito Pérez-Barbadillo, desmintió a EL MUNDO las informaciones publicadas en 'La Vanguardia' -diario editado por el Grupo Godó- y 'Marca' que condicionan la participación del balear en el torneo de casa a unas pruebas médicas que debería realizar hoy en la Ciudad Condal.

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundodeporte/2010/04/19/tenis/1271675454.html

Crappy Google translation:
The tournament that starts today at the Real Club de Tenis de Barcelona, Barcelona Open BancSabadell, the Godo lifetime, would be the first very reluctantly discarded. Its head of communications, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, denied a EL MUNDO the information published in 'La Vanguardia'-journal published by the Grupo Godo-y 'Marca' that determine participation in the tournament Balearic house some medical tests should be done today in Barcelona.

Ah well, I guess that we'll soon enough find out for sure.

MariaV
04-19-2010, 01:54 PM
So Benito is his spokesperson but yeah, I don't know whom to believe.

l_mac
04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Marca says he did: http://www.marca.com/2010/04/19/tenis/1271678753.html

Just letting you know.

Yeah, I know it was in Marca.

JolánGagó
04-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Rafa has withdrawn...according to La Vanguardia, a serious paper belonging to Conde de Godó himself.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/deportes/noticias/20100419/53911179527/nadal-no-defendera-el-titulo-en-el-conde-de-godo.html

l_mac
04-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Rafa has withdrawn...according to La Vanguardia, a serious paper belonging to Conde de Godó himself.

http://www.lavanguardia.es/deportes/noticias/20100419/53911179527/nadal-no-defendera-el-titulo-en-el-conde-de-godo.html

Benito already said that wasn't true. Casta posted that info 3 posts above you.

JolánGagó
04-19-2010, 03:22 PM
Choose to believe Benito if so you please :shrug: I rather Xavier Godó, the owner of La Vanguardia and whose very name is on the tourney's trophey.

l_mac
04-19-2010, 03:29 PM
Choose to believe Benito if so you please :shrug: I rather Xavier Godó, the owner of La Vanguardia and whose very name is on the tourney's trophey.

I was just meaning we already knew La Vanguardia said he had withdrawn.

JolánGagó
04-19-2010, 03:31 PM
I was just meaning we already knew La Vanguardia said he had withdrawn.

As far as I can read, we knew it had been MARCA who said he'd withdrawn.

l_mac
04-19-2010, 03:33 PM
As far as I can read, we knew it had been MARCA who said he'd withdrawn.

In Hilde's post it quite clearly states the information was published in La Vanguardia and Marca.

JolánGagó
04-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Oh OK, that was my fault for reading in diagonal Casta's post.

I anyway stand by my belief that La Vanguardia is true, not Benito, who can say the Bible if so he wishes. Why would Conde de Godó seriously undermine his tourney with a false info on his paper? mistery, enigma, riddle...

l_mac
04-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Oh OK, that was my fault for reading in diagonal Casta's post.

I anyway stand by my belief that La Vanguardia is true, not Benito, who can say the Bible if so he wishes. Why would Conde de Godó seriously undermine his tourney with a false info on his paper? mistery, enigma, riddle...

I didn't say I believed Benito, just said he had issued a denial.

Foxy
04-19-2010, 04:18 PM
I don't understand all the excitement if Rafa has withdrawn. If you look into perspective it would mean something is really wrong with his knees and can possibly withdraw from Rome and other tournaments. It is one of his fav tournaments. Withdrawing means his physical condition is really bad. I hardly believe he can withdraw just for precaution. Not after the MC results where he virtually had practice sessions all the way. Imagine he had to play for 3 hours in the SF and/or F? What then?

TennisOnWood
04-19-2010, 04:33 PM
It is really strange :confused:

He looked very good in Monte Carlo and he really finished all matches very easily.. nothing to be tired of. If he can't manage 3 weeks on clay and 15 matches in 21 days then we are all in big troubles

l_mac
04-19-2010, 04:35 PM
It is really strange :confused:

He looked very good in Monte Carlo and he really finished all matches very easily.. nothing to be tired of. If he can't manage 3 weeks on clay and 15 matches in 21 days then we are all in big troubles

He was already carrying an injury into Monte Carlo :confused:

Anyway, seems he has officially w/d now.

Priam
04-19-2010, 04:41 PM
Will he ever be fully fit? It sucks for his fans who worry week to week, match to match.

l_mac
04-19-2010, 04:44 PM
He has chronic tendonitis so, no, he'll probably never be 100% again. But players very rarely step on court at 100%. It looks like he's playing sensibly this season.

TennisOnWood
04-19-2010, 04:47 PM
I will survive lost of bloody 500 points and probably 6th Barca title... it will all be forgotten with another French Open crown

Priam
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
One 6-peat was enough. I wonder though what reason he will cite for this withdrawal, and if he can remain as reassuring in his pressers in the near future.

born_on_clay
04-19-2010, 05:01 PM
http://www.barcelonaopenbancosabadel...x.asp?lang=eng

Foxy
04-19-2010, 05:54 PM
I don't see how withdrawing from Barca won't mean withdrawing Rome as well. One week won't be enough at all if he is so seriously injured. If he intends to play Rome he has to train. I don't see him training as he has to rest this week. Something does not add right. He will skip Rome as well.

It's pity because I will fly to Rome this year. :( Last year I was at Wimby and missed him again. It is good I managed to catch him at RG 2008.

shawshank
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't see how withdrawing from Barca won't mean withdrawing Rome as well. One week won't be enough at all if he is so seriously injured. If he intends to play Rome he has to train. I don't see him training as he has to rest this week. Something does not add right. He will skip Rome as well.

It's pity because I will fly to Rome this year. :( Last year I was at Wimby and missed him again. It is good I managed to catch him at RG 2008.

Although I'm the one who always panic about Rafa, this time I stay a bit more optimistic. In my opinion few months ago Rafa made a decision that he won't play all of MC, Barca, Rome and Madrid. He comitted to Barca because, at that point he didn't know which tournament to skip. It was also better for the organizers of Godo (they sold more tickets coz people wanted to see Rafa).
Now Rafa won MC and got back his confidence. He is a little bit smarter than he used to be about scheduling and decided to take a week of. I'm sure that his knees are bothering him still a little. But nothing will change it. Not even half a year break. I'm sure that he would prefer to skip Madrid instead of Barca, but the schedule tells him to do opossite. It's smarter to play: MC, week off, Rome, week off, Madrid, week of, French Open. Moreover, it's more difficult to withdraw from Masters 1000 than from ATP 500. Seriously Foxy, stay optimistic. You will have a lot of fun cheering for Rafa in Rome :)
btw. which days will you be there?

Mimi
04-20-2010, 02:31 AM
:banghead::banghead: I hope this is just a precaution and nothing is serious with his injuries, I am so angry that why someone is foolish enough to make a thread about his withdrawal in General Message which makes him get more critics!:banghead::banghead:

Mimi
04-20-2010, 04:46 AM

sorry for that, but there is still great hope that he is going to play Rome, you are still very lucky coz you have met Nadal, while I think I will never have the chance to meet him as there is no tennis tourney in HK:rolleyes:

Foxy
04-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Although I'm the one who always panic about Rafa, this time I stay a bit more optimistic. In my opinion few months ago Rafa made a decision that he won't play all of MC, Barca, Rome and Madrid. He comitted to Barca because, at that point he didn't know which tournament to skip. It was also better for the organizers of Godo (they sold more tickets coz people wanted to see Rafa).
Now Rafa won MC and got back his confidence. He is a little bit smarter than he used to be about scheduling and decided to take a week of. I'm sure that his knees are bothering him still a little. But nothing will change it. Not even half a year break. I'm sure that he would prefer to skip Madrid instead of Barca, but the schedule tells him to do opossite. It's smarter to play: MC, week off, Rome, week off, Madrid, week of, French Open. Moreover, it's more difficult to withdraw from Masters 1000 than from ATP 500. Seriously Foxy, stay optimistic. You will have a lot of fun cheering for Rafa in Rome :)
btw. which days will you be there?

Thanks for the positive post. I will attend only the quarterfinals both day and night sessions. The rest of my trip I will go sightseeing in Rome and probably go to mount Vesuvius.

MariaV
04-20-2010, 07:56 AM

What a pity indeed, should he not play Rome either.
Rome is a wonderful city so I'm sure you'll enjoy all the sightseeing and tennis even without Rafa. :hug: :hug:

I am not optimistic at all at this point though. :(

Mimi
04-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Yes, is this is true what first posters told us that he needed painkiller injections each day into his knees to play in MC, it is serious condition . I´m not a doctor, but I also got painkiller injections, and they didnt last too long and in long perspective they didnt help at all. In MC he finished all matches in 1.5 hour or less, in RG he cant do it ( best of five,also better field and faster court means he is not able to break as often as in MC)
And how long can your body last on painkillers ? Painkiller is not miracle medicine what heals, it only removes pain, but problem itself goes even worse.Pain is not disease, it is signal that something is seriously wrong in your body.
Couple of days ago it seemed his clay-season will be as successful and problem-free like 3-4 years ago. Now there are doubts.

poor Rafa :hysteric::bigcry::bigcry:

l_mac
04-20-2010, 03:07 PM
Rafa said he had no injections in Monte Carlo.

We should take him at his word.

Foxy
04-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Rafa said he had no injections in Monte Carlo.

We should take him at his word.

Sure.
He will rest now in Mallorca and expect to get stuck by the ash cloud and not play Rome due to travel issues. ;)

star
04-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Sure.
He will rest now in Mallorca and expect to get stuck by the ash cloud and not play Rome due to travel issues. ;)

He can rent a yacht and sail to Rome. :)

Foxy
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Can some Spanish let us know what does Rafa say in this video. Is there any indication he will play Rome and Madrid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXdYGKdvRU&feature=player_embedded

shawshank
04-22-2010, 06:39 AM
Can some Spanish let us know what does Rafa say in this video. Is there any indication he will play Rome and Madrid?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrXdYGKdvRU&feature=player_embedded

His knees are ok. He will play Madrid and Rome :) He took week off to maintain this high level.

Mimi
04-22-2010, 08:07 AM
:yippee::yippee: thanks god

born_on_clay
04-22-2010, 09:43 PM
as I predicted, skipping Barcelona was just a precautionary move.
Rafa nad his team finally lear from the mistakes
:clap2::clap2:

gorgo1986
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
Very good news!

Topspin Forehand
05-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Not a good day for Nadal's knees with the match against Gulbis.

born_on_clay
05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Not a good day for Nadal's knees with the match against Gulbis.

It's just the first long match on clay this season...

Honestly I believe he needed it to build up his confidence, to make sure he is able to win close matches as well :)

But to me he looks less comfortable on the court than before :sad: