Would you stop supporting a player if they changed their gamestyle? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Would you stop supporting a player if they changed their gamestyle?

FlameOn
04-10-2010, 10:58 AM
By change I mean, not add different things, but actually completely change their mindset and whole style of game.

I'm currently in this situation with Djokovic. Time will tell but he seems to be kind of going down the Roddick route. He started out as an aggressive player but he's been getting more and more defensive for ages now, bordering on pushing.

How much is too much for you if your fave were to change their style?

B.z.A.
04-10-2010, 11:16 AM
If you are playing whole life on one same way, and than you suddenly want to change that style over the night, it wont end up good. Maybe one of few. But in lots of occasions thats not good move.
EDIT: but I think I wont stop to support the player if i like him. Depends on his results after change

krystlel
04-10-2010, 11:23 AM
I think it is hard to say with players that start to play more defensively, like in the case of Djokovic because that could just be down to a lack of confidence rather than an intentional change.

This is an interesting topic. For example, I am a fan of Jurgen Melzer, and I have noticed lately that he has hardly been going to the net, though he has improved his consistency from the baseline a lot. His game is no longer a mix-up of many things. But I think it is always hard to tell, whether it's just a phase that will pass, or something that will come back. The problem for me is that he is playing good tennis playing like this!

Roddickominator
04-10-2010, 11:26 AM
Already happened...yep.

Dougie
04-10-2010, 11:34 AM
I´m not a fan of any single player, I only support players who play the game close to what is my understanding and perception of how the game should be played, and whose game is, consequently, feasible to eye. Therefore, if one of these players would change his game dramatically, I probably wouldn´t enjoy watching his game that much anymore.

But if you´re a true fan of a certain player, I think you can´t really call yourself a fan if you don´t at least try to understand the player, why he changes his game, what he hopes to achieve with it, and so on. There could be many reasons to it, it would be stupid to just quit being a fan because the player changes his game, sometimes players are forced to do changes, even big ones.

coonster14
04-10-2010, 11:37 AM
nole is one of my favourite players too, and i loved watching him play when he was an aggressive player. i do not like the way he plays nowadays, but i still support him because he is a very good player, like his funny personality, and the good matches that he plays against rafa.

but this goes for any of my other favourites too: if they change their gamestyle, as reiterated from 'krystlet' above, it must be due to a new style that is better suited to them (roddick, probably because he is getting older and he wants to save his body for a longer tennis career), or partly due to a lack of confidence (nole).

i always support my top 5 favourites (nadal, djokovic, del potro, federer, roddick).

krystlel
04-10-2010, 11:44 AM
But if you´re a true fan of a certain player, I think you can´t really call yourself a fan if you don´t at least try to understand the player, why he changes his game, what he hopes to achieve with it, and so on. There could be many reasons to it, it would be stupid to just quit being a fan because the player changes his game, sometimes players are forced to do changes, even big ones.
That's true. I mean, tennis isn't really about playing how you want to play or what you think would be most fun anyway, it's about what achieves the most success. For example, from what I have heard in interviews from Taylor Dent, he doesn't like the courts being slower than they used to be, and I'm sure he would prefer to just serve-and-volley and chip and charge as much as he can, but he can't do that.

In the case of Melzer, I think it can be possible that he is trying to improve on his weaknesses so much that he is not using what used to be his strengths as much as he used to.

Certinfy
04-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Yes! Most of the players I like are brainless ballbashers, and if they became pushers... :unsure:

DualMedia
04-10-2010, 03:27 PM
yup, I began supporting you because of the way you play, if you change, I may just stop supporting..

FlameOn
04-11-2010, 11:33 AM
yup, I began supporting you because of the way you play, if you change, I may just stop supporting..
I guess that's the simplified version. ;)

Noleta
04-11-2010, 02:37 PM
I won't,it has been painful to watch Nole play this year:oBut i'll still support him,cause i like his personality too.

FairWeatherFan
04-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Absolutely, in fact game style is nearly the sole criterion on which I base my decision to support or not support a particular player. If a serve-volleyer player of whom I am a fan were to become some boring, colourless dirtballer then I would almost of a certainty stop supporting him.

It is in fact because the current styles of tennis played on tour these days are so boring and colourless as a whole that I am not really a fan of many players these days, nor indeed am I any longer a great fan of tennis in general.

siloe26
04-11-2010, 03:27 PM

You are a fan of a player because of different reasons, but one of them is the game. If you don't recogize your tastes in his game, it's hard to keep being a fan. At least for me. If Nadal becomes a bombarder and a ballbasher for example (no chance), there are many other players I would rather watch. Of course, it's a radical change.
Djokovic goes through a difficult time, he has no confidence, so he plays more defensively. That's for every player. Not a real change. He's not a young intrepid player anymore. That's just normal.

FlameOn
04-11-2010, 03:29 PM
I won't,it has been painful to watch Nole play this year:oBut i'll still support him,cause i like his personality too.
:hug: The odds are I'll keep supporting him too. I don't want to stop supporting him.

Vida
04-11-2010, 03:56 PM
it would be the same if you asked would you still support a player if he started losing more than wining.

FlameOn
04-11-2010, 03:59 PM
it would be the same if you asked would you still support a player if he started losing more than wining.
Not the same at all. :shrug:

Topspin Forehand
04-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Even though Nadal doesn't fight as hard as in the past, I still root for him.

marcRD
04-11-2010, 10:17 PM
No, I would not. I am a fan of the tennis played and kind of against cults of personality. Ofcourse personality does matter to me aswell, but not in the way that I would be a fan of any player because of their personality.

For example I kind of like Roddick as a person but I hate his tennis so I always want him to get bad results, on the other hand I like Federer as a person but there is nothing special about him (he is just a normal goofy guy), it is 90% only about tennis. I love Nalbandian, but his personality is just dull and doesnt mean anything to me, I just love the art he performs on court.

Same goes for most things in life, many directors, authors and actors I like are just assholes, but that really doesnt matter because I wont be best friends with any of them and it is not enjoying drinking beer with them which makes me enjoy their art.

martinatreue
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Yes! Most of the players I like are brainless ballbashers, and if they became pushers... :unsure:

You must love James Blake :devil:

Fiberlight1
04-12-2010, 12:14 AM

:haha: How those two things are the same is beyond me.

Jimnik
04-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Roddick fans are qualified to answer this question.

I don't think I'd ever stop supporting him but I'm always hoping he plays aggressively.

Vida
04-12-2010, 12:51 AM

:haha: How those two things are the same is beyond me.

well you can hardly stop being a fan of a player if he starts playing better due to the fact he changed his game.

Dini
04-12-2010, 12:54 AM
well you can hardly stop being a fan of a player if he starts playing better due to the fact he changed his game.

I think there have been a few Roddick ex-fans who stopped being his fan because of his more and more defensive game these days despite it proving to be a successful formula and has brought him the most match wins this season so far out of anybody on tour.

brent-o
04-12-2010, 03:32 AM
Well I stopped supporting Safin when he changed his game style to 'crap'.

Other than that, I can't think of any examples. It seems don't really change their style THAT drastically (except maybe Roddick, but I was never a fan in the first place).

FlameOn
04-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Well I stopped supporting Safin when he changed his game style to 'crap'.

Other than that, I can't think of any examples. It seems don't really change their style THAT drastically (except maybe Roddick, but I was never a fan in the first place).
Hmm, well ditching a player because their current form is poor is different.

Nole still had the results, last year. You can't really say his purely defense game (apart from that one match in Paris Bercy against Nadal which was winner after winner) wasn't getting him wins, but it was still a far cry from his 07/08 game and not in a good way.

paseo
04-12-2010, 05:17 AM
Even though Nadal doesn't fight as hard as in the past, I still root for him.

What? Even though he's losing more often, it doesn't mean that he fights less hard than before. He's having problems with confidence, maybe he's fighting even harder nowadays because of that.

Topspin Forehand
04-12-2010, 05:39 AM
What? Even though he's losing more often, it doesn't mean that he fights less hard than before. He's having problems with confidence, maybe he's fighting even harder nowadays because of that.
You can tell he doesn't like to grind as much as he used to. He is more willing to let points go. He used to be the ultimate grinder. Now he plays more like everyone else. Takes higher risk shots as well.

gulzhan
04-12-2010, 07:55 AM
No.

bokehlicious
04-12-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll surely stop supporting Federer the day he turns into a grinding moonballer... Not seeing that happening anytime soon though :o :p

FlameOn
04-12-2010, 12:44 PM
I'll surely stop supporting Federer the day he turns into a grinding moonballer... Not seeing that happening anytime soon though :o :p
Federer's forehand resembles a baseball home run these days. :p

Just kidding. :lol:

MacTheKnife
04-12-2010, 02:17 PM
A player that doesn't make adjustments to their style and extend efforts to continual improvement is doomed. Many players that do adjust their styles usually go to far in the beginning, but then the pendulum swings back to a more balanced approach to the style adjustment they are seeking.

FlameOn
04-12-2010, 02:18 PM
There could be hope for Nole yet, he's now ditched Todd Martin.

I_mac will have to change their signature.

Nole fan
04-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Well, I guess most people only support players when they have good results. Of course, that's the easy route, you always want your favorite to win and be the best. But I appreciate other things. I like a player because of his behaviour on and off the court. No matter how bad Nole plays, he's always entertaining to watch. That's it for me. And I think it's the same for Steve Tignor. :lol:

BEBE91
04-12-2010, 11:26 PM
If Rafa would start to serve as well as Karlovic I would hate him.

FlameOn
04-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Well, I guess most people only support players when they have good results. Of course, that's the easy route, you always want your favorite to win and be the best. But I appreciate other things. I like a player because of his behaviour on and off the court. No matter how bad Nole plays, he's always entertaining to watch. That's it for me. And I think it's the same for Steve Tignor. :lol:
:sobbing: It's not about results. It's about his style of game.

But whatever, hopefully now that Martin's gone, old aggressive Nole might be able to come back. :bigcry:

coffeenomore
04-13-2010, 06:47 AM
If RogiGOAT would ever change his gamestyle (into a bad, Nadull-like style) I would stop following this sport in a moment and for good.

LeChuck
04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Sorry to use a WTA example, but I became a fan of Wozniacki from a very early stage, touting her as a potential future star before many people had heard of her. However her style of play over the past few years has become more and more passive, and tedious to watch. I'm struggling to retain any sort of interest in her matches anymore. Yes she has been very successful as an out an out pusher over the past 18 months or, winning plenty of titles and surging up the rankings, and that's great for her. However I don't live my life vicariously through the achievements of my favourite players, and I don't particularly care that much about how successful they are.

The major reason why I'd support a player is because of their style of play. I'm not overly bothered about their personality as long as they're not a total douche like say Pashanski or Clement.

Sometimes I can be sort of a reverse-bandwagoner, following and supporting players when they're breaking through the ranks and relatively unknown to the wider public, and losing interest in them when they more successful and famous.

Nole fan
04-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Sorry to use a WTA example, but I became a fan of Wozniacki from a very early stage, touting her as a potential future star before many people had heard of her. However her style of play over the past few years has become more and more passive, and tedious to watch. I'm struggling to retain any sort of interest in her matches anymore. Yes she has been very successful as an out an out pusher over the past 18 months or, winning plenty of titles and surging up the rankings, and that's great for her. However I don't live my life vicariously through the achievements of my favourite players, and I don't particularly care that much about how successful they are.

The major reason why I'd support a player is because of their style of play. I'm not overly bothered about their personality as long as they're not a total douche like say Pashanski or Clement.

Sometimes I can be sort of a reverse-bandwagoner, following and supporting players when they're breaking through the ranks and relatively unknown to the wider public, and losing interest in them when they more successful and famous.

Curiously enough, that happens to a lot of people, myself included. :shrug:

stebs
04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
I don't know any of the players personally and what you can guage from pressers/interviews/whatever is not enough to judge a persons personality in any meaningful way. This being the case, I only support players I enjoy watching, if I stop enjoying to watch that player, there is nothing left to support. I don't support a man, just a configuration of shots, tactics and on court behaviours which a man happens to be the medium for.

Orka_n
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Depends. If Soderling would turn into a pusher, then yes, I would stop supporting him.

Vida
04-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I don't know any of the players personally and what you can guage from pressers/interviews/whatever is not enough to judge a persons personality in any meaningful way. This being the case, I only support players I enjoy watching, if I stop enjoying to watch that player, there is nothing left to support. I don't support a man, just a configuration of shots, tactics and on court behaviours which a man happens to be the medium for.

so I gather you dont develop any kind of fan-like emotion towards a player?

Nole fan
04-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Sport without emotion is just plain boring.
Supporting a team is more often than not an emotional -not rational- decision. Well, a player is like a team to me. :shrug:
To ask the same question in a different way... Would you stop supporting your team (soccer team, whatever) because you dislike the way they play? How is that possible?

stebs
04-14-2010, 05:54 PM
so I gather you dont develop any kind of fan-like emotion towards a player?
A little bit of course, but actually I find full blown fandom to be a little bit ridiculous. I appreciate a match more if I am not heavily partisan. Watching tennis is what I do for pleasure, it would be less fun to be partisan imo, or at least fun in a different knd of way to what I am looking for.
Sport without emotion is just plain boring.
Supporting a team is more often than not an emotional -not rational- decision. Well, a player is like a team to me. :shrug:
To ask the same question in a different way... Would you stop supporting your team (soccer team, whatever) because you dislike the way they play? How is that possible?
It's your opinion and that's fair enough but for me I enjoy the sport, a hardcore fan sport is football which I also enjoy but for different reasons. Tennis is a beautiful game and I love to see it played beautifully. I'm sorry I don't match your emotionally charged views of what a fan should be.

Game styles I enjoy (i.e aesthetics) is not a rational decision. I don't understand why I enjoy certain gamestyles more than others but that doesn't mean that those gamestyles I do enjoy relate to an emotional attachement to a man I don't know and will likely never meet.

No I wouldn't change allegiance from my football team (Bristol City) but imo it's a quite different sport and has more of its appeal based in the sense of identity of fandom.

FlameOn
04-15-2010, 02:52 AM
Well I watched Nole on TV last night VS Serra. The second set was messy but the first was pretty solid. I think I overreacted in my case. :lol:

But it's still a fair question IMO.