Martina Navratilova diagnosed with cancer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Martina Navratilova diagnosed with cancer

R.Federer
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Martina Navratilova Has Breast Cancer

By Lorenzo Benet
Wednesday April 07, 2010 08:45 AM EDT

http://img2.timeinc.net/people/i/2010/news/100419/martina-navratilova-240.jpg Martina Navratilova
Phil Cole/Getty

Tennis legend Martina Navratilova has been diagnosed with breast cancer. The disease was detected early, and the prognosis is said to be excellent.

"I cried," Navratilova, 53, tells PEOPLE about the moment in February when a biopsy came back positive after a routine mammogram revealed a cluster in her left breast. "It knocked me on my ass, really. I feel so in control of my life and my body, and then this comes, and it's completely out of my hands."

She was diagnosed with a non-invasive form of breast cancer called ductal carcinoma in situ, or DCIS, which in her case was confined to the milk ducts and had not spread to the breast tissue. "It was the best-case scenario you could imagine for detecting breast cancer," Dr. Mindy Nagle, a good friend of Navratilova's (and her ob gyn), tells PEOPLE.

Navratilova had a lumpectomy and will begin six weeks of radiation therapy in May.

Dr. Shelley Hwang, a breast surgeon at UC San Francisco, says DCIS strikes almost 70,000 American women annually and accounts for about one-fifth of all new diagnosed breast cancers. "The prognosis of someone with DCIS is excellent," she says. "There's only a one-percent chance of anyone with this diagnosis would die of breast cancer."

The nine-time Wimbledon champion, who still plays tennis and ice hockey and competes in triathlons, says she is lucky, as she had not been getting regular checkups.

"I went four years between mammograms," she tells PEOPLE. "I let it slide. Everyone gets busy, but don't make excuses. I stay in shape and eat right, and it happened to me. Another year and I could have been in big trouble."

In her role as a health and fitness ambassador for AARP, Navratilova will be chatting live (http://www.aarp.org/martinachat) on the group's Web site on Thursday at noon.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20358261,00.html

Kolya
04-07-2010, 02:42 PM
Shame...

Nidhogg
04-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Make sure to keep your body alkaline, Martina. Good luck.

Har-Tru
04-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Hopefully just a minor inconvenience as expected.

lukeozade0405
04-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Just read this and it's horrible news. Hope she gets better real soon.

*Ljubica*
04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
How sad. I wish her all the best for her fight in the days ahead, and hope she has a full and complete recovery,

scoobs
04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Best wishes to her in her fights and hopefully she will be clear of this disease once again.

"I went four years between mammograms," she tells PEOPLE. "I let it slide. Everyone gets busy, but don't make excuses. I stay in shape and eat right, and it happened to me. Another year and I could have been in big trouble."

That should stand as a warning to all women about being lax on this question...and equally for guys to check their equipment, for unusual lumps. It can save your life.

centralviva
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Just read it on Yahoo, was going crazy cause my net crashed and I couldn't see what was really wrong. Relieved to see it was caught early

Noleta
04-07-2010, 06:21 PM
:hug:Martina.

DualMedia
04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
I will pray for her.

bhathiya9999
04-07-2010, 06:58 PM
So sad i heard about this

Goldenoldie
04-07-2010, 08:06 PM
I will pray for her.

+1

Vida
04-07-2010, 08:49 PM
shit.

KarlyM
04-08-2010, 02:36 AM
Get well soon, Martina. :hug:

VolandriFan
04-08-2010, 02:42 AM
People make things like this sound so blasé. "Oh it's only minor"

I'm sorry, but anything of this nature has a huge impact on the mind and body. I wish her all the best in her recovery.

Nidhogg
04-08-2010, 10:25 AM
I will pray for her.

+1

Ah, yes, it's sedative and soothing to occupy yourself with delusions. Then again, who am I to point at others? I can be superstitious when I follow my favourites in sport, telling myself I totally have a say on proceedings on something happening hundreds of miles away with nothing but my willpower, but I keep a certain distance to my delusions. :p

Again, I hope that Martina now takes the best possible care of herself and comes through, but the belief in fairytales is only cute when it involves kids.

Ariel
04-09-2010, 08:50 PM
Shocked to hear this and surprised that she could let the mammograms slide for several years at her age. She is a very, very lucky woman and I think she will use her experience to warn others not to put off "routine" tests. How quickly they can go from being routine to critical. I wish Martina a successful recovery.

Nidhogg
04-10-2010, 08:17 AM
We can continue this discussion here. ;)